The Alpha's Temptation [BXB]

By knightinroses

Ash Willow is the outcast of his pack, the omega runt abused by his stepfather, the head Alpha. Daemon Steel... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Side Chapter: Wren
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55

Part 35

87.3K 2.7K 1.9K
By knightinroses

Sorry the chapter is so late I've been very busy lately and have been having family problems. Also I am trying to make chapters longer now because I don't want the chapter count to be too long. Happy reading!

Instead of Wren being the one avoiding me, I'm now the one avoiding him. Lylah can't even hang out with me at school anymore because she feels bad leaving Wren alone. I'm with Jay most of the time, which earns me dirty looks from Wren on the occasion that I do see him. It's a whole mess, really.

I've tried to stop being guilty about it. There's nothing I can do! I don't want to talk to Wren. I don't want a confrontation. I don't want anything to do with it.

Usually, I wouldn't be so worried about all this if Daemon was around, but he's been gone for two days already. We call and message every day, but of course, nothing can replace actually being in his presence. He sometimes gets me to send pictures of myself and compliments my outfits, even though I'm hiding my face in every photo and take an hour to get one I'm okay with sending. I've been hoping I'll get one back, but all I ended up getting was one disgruntled-looking selfie where he looks like he just woke up. But it made me smile anyway.

While on a call with him later in the day, something pops into my head. "Oh, I never got the chance to ask you—um what happened with that guy who died? Zeke?"

"Him?" Daemon sighs. "Like I said. We thought he was going to make it. He had traces of heroin in his bloodstream—the amount was concerning, but the doctors said it'd be okay. Then a day later when they checked again, he seemed to have more in him—and it was impure, laced with metals. You know how deadly some metals are to wolves,"

"Mhm," I acknowledge. We learned about that stuff in school.

"Tristan thinks it has something to do with my brother, because he used to be an addict..."

"He was?" I mean, I did have my suspicions.

"Yeah. I even saved him from an overdose once, that ungrateful little shit,"

"Really?" I exclaim. "That must have been so—so scary!"

"It was. And he's sober now, but if he's still got access to the shit, uh, he might be connected to all of this."

"You've got to tell Lucien..!"

"Trust me. We have. And he investigated too, but there's no evidence correlating with my brother. So he just has to take Theo's word."

"But you don't buy it?" I ask.

"I don't know what I buy," Daemon sounds conflicted. "We have a big pack. There are plenty of others out there that could be the culprit. Tristan just hates Theo. I don't blame him for being suspect, though. That's why we're looking into it,"

"I see..."

"Drugs can spread like wildfire through a pack. It's dangerous. Leaves us vulnerable to attack. The thing is, Lucien already has so much on his hands—and I'm helping too—but it doesn't change the fact that he has no Luna to support him."

I feel for Lucien. I really do. He's responsible for so much, the weight of it all on his shoulders, yet he keeps himself together. Even without his mate. I just want to give him a big hug.

*

Today is the day Daemon comes back, so I'm pretty excited to say the least. We're also starting a play in theater which has been super fun so far. I'm just going to be doing work backstage because I have severe stage fright, but it's still fun to see the people rehearsing their scenes as I design the props.

I'm finishing my homework up on the couch as I think about school stuff when I hear the door open. I look to see if it's Lucien, but to my surprise it's Theo.

His eyes dart around strangely, immediately spotting me. "Ash," he says.

"Hello?" I give him a look of confusion. I don't really understand what business we'd ever have together.

Theo looks about the room, turning his head left and right. "Daemon isn't here, is he?"

I'm getting really off vibes from him. "No..?" I reply, my voice going up in question.

"Good."

I don't have time to ask what he means before he's coming toward me, moving quickly.

"H-hey!" I jump up from the sofa, backing up as he reaches for me. "What are you doing?!"

Fear starts rising in me, adrenaline rushing through my veins. What is he trying to do? Theo doesn't reply, just advances on me. So I skitter around the sofa, nearly tripping over a small table at the end of it. "Stop!" I demand but he's nearly right behind me so I attempt a dash to the front door, barely making it two feet before he grabs me by the arm, forcefully yanking me back. I yelp in pain as he slams me against the wall, holding me in place with his sheer strength.

"Let go!" I yell. "Let go of me!" It's impossible for me to move, smushed against the white plaster on my stomach.

Theo ignores my request. "I've been waiting for a chance to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me," he says, breathing heavily in anticipation.

His hand grips the bottom of my shirt and I realize what he's trying to do. He wants to take it off. "No!" I scream. "STOP! STOP!"

He rips off my shirt, tearing the fabric in the process so it falls to the ground in a useless muddle.

He starts to laugh maniacally. "I was right. A fucking Dark Moon pack mark,"

No sooner than a few seconds later is the front door slammed open, a furious-looking Daemon charging into the house.

"What the fuck is going on here!?" he growls when his eyes find Theo pinning me to the wall.

I feel Theo's hand on my back, pointing to my mark. "This."

My face is smushed up against the wall, but I'm able to spare a look at Daemon. For a brief moment, he looks shocked as he takes in the sight of my bare skin. Dread floods me, because I know that means he's seen them. Not the mark, but the deep, gruesome scars that litter my upper back, my stepfather's favorite place to mutilate me.

"Right under our noses," Theo sneers, but at the moment I don't care that I've been discovered. I care because Daemon saw. That's all I can think. Daemon has seen all of me, how disgusting I am. My stomach drops in terror. There's no way for me to reverse this.

I burst out crying, thrashing helplessly under Theo's strong hold to try and get him off. At that, Daemon's face darkens, snapping back to full-blown anger. Before I can register anything, he's lunging at Theo, violently pulling him off me. He slams him back into the opposite wall, so hard that it cracks and caves in.

"Don't touch him..!" he roars, eyes glowing bright with rage. He punches Theo hard in the face. Blood immediately blooms on the blond's cheek and he winces but reopens his eyes to glare at his brother.

"By your reaction, I'm guessing you knew," Theo snarls.

Daemon's nostrils flare. "Shut your fucking mouth,"

"You knew, you traitor. I should've known a dirty rogue like you was in on this," Theo pushes him back, raising his fists. Daemon blocks his first few hits, getting a few in himself but misses blocking Theo's last one, also getting a blow to the face. That fuels his anger and he grunts, punching his brother in the gut.

I watch in horror as they fight, sinking to the floor  by the stairwell. I'm scared. I'm scared of how they're hurting each other, knocking things over. "Stop!" I scream. "Stop it!"

But my plea falls on deaf ears.

"Did he seduce you? Is that why you're trying to protect him?" Theo takes another punch to the stomach before kneeing Daemon hard in the leg.

"You try anything and I will--,"

"Why? You really care that much about a runt?" Theo spits, shoving Daemon back.

The bigger alpha growls in rage, grabbing Theo by the neck and slamming him against the dining table, shattering the wood. "You're dead."

"What's it to you?" Theo continues, despite sputtering for air after getting the wind knocked out of him, "That's what he is. A runt. Good for getting fucked and not much else—"

I swear I hear the bone crack before I see it. One minute Daemon is rearing himself to strike and the next an ear-shattering howl of pain bursts out of the blond, his head thrown back. I scream, watching in terror at how his arm now dangles at an unnatural angle. I hyperventilate in fear, squeezing my eyes shut as the sounds reverberate in my brain. The image of my stepfather breaking my bones flashes in my mind. No. Daemon breaking them. Violence. Someone's getting hurt. Am I going to be hurt too? Why is this happening?

I press my hands over my ears, trying to block everything out as I curl up into a ball. I wish with all my might to be somewhere else, hidden away. Then I watch the door burst open, Lucien coming in and pulling Daemon off Theo. They're all shouting, cursing, muted only a little bit by my hands over my ears. I just sit there frozen, trembling and crying as I wait for things to be over. Wait for it to be safe again.

At some point, something is draped over me, and I realize it's Daemon's jacket from the familiar scent. He's in front of me then, speaking. But I can't hear a word as I watch his mouth move, the blood drained from his concerned expression.

I stare at him with wide eyes, shaking my head. No. I don't know what's going on anymore. All I know is it's not safe. Daemon isn't safe right now, even though he always was supposed to be.

I curl back up again, burying my face in my knees, my hands still pressed into my ears. I cry out for it to end. "No, no..." I beg. "Just make it stop,"

Someone's gently shaking my shoulders. Then Daemon's voice filters in. "Ash. They left. It's me. It's only me now,"

I slowly remove my shaking hands from over my ears. "I'm scared," I whisper, refusing to open my eyes.

"I'm here. It's alright,"

I feel the familiar press of his hands on my shoulders, but I'm not convinced at all. I know there's a larger problem at hand, aka Theo finding out my identity, but all I can think about is one thing.

"You saw them, Daemon," my voice cracks into a sob. "You saw the scars,"

Daemon pulls me close, letting me put all my weight against him. "It's okay," he says softly, holding me through my distress. "I'm not gonna make you say anything about it,"

My chest heaves in anguish. "I'm so ashamed,"

"No, no, baby. There's no need to be. Not with me,"

But I am beyond consoling, completely lost on him as I break down. It's going to be a long night.

*

I listen to the pattering of rain on the roof, still reeling from what just went down. I'm in the bedroom while Daemon's making dinner downstairs to give me some space. Not that I'll be able to get any food down.

Theo knows I'm from Dark Moon. Earlier I was so upset and blinded by fear that I couldn't grasp the gravity of what that means. But now the reality of the situation is setting in. I've been discovered, and by someone who's been antagonistic towards me from the start. Who knows what Theo will do with the information?! Dark Moon is the sworn enemy. If he lets the secret slip, there's no telling what will happen.

My mind agonizes over the possibilities, making me feel sick. I could be killed. Banished. But then a thought comes to mind that is far worse than either of those. My stepfather might find me.

My heart rate jumps, fear-induced adrenaline coursing through me. I wish I hadn't thought that. But the more I panic about it, the more plausible it sounds. If a rumor about me spreads to other packs, there's no doubt it could reach Dark Moon as well. All it takes is one social media post, one person's words.

I start to inhale rapidly, clutching the sheets of the bed. I need Daemon. I stumble out of bed, padding down the stairs. The second I see him in the kitchen, that broad, inviting back of his facing me I'm tearing up again.

"Daemon..?" I whimper.

He whips around at lightning speed, his eyebrows drawn down in worry. "What's up?"

I will myself to try and speak for once instead of crying. "W-what if Theo tells? What am I going to d-do?" I ask, my vocal cords strung tight.

Daemon rubs his hand over his brow, face grim. "Lucien'll handle it. Theo may hate me but he listens to him,"

"Y-you don't understand. If he says something--" I break out into a sob, looking down at the ground.

"Hey, I'm not gonna let anything happen to you," he comes over to me, taking my hands into his large ones. I know he's sincere, I do. But I shake my head. He doesn't know what lengths my stepfather would go to. My head becomes hot and heavy, dread consuming me from the inside.

"W-what if he comes back?" I ask, my voice cracking.

"Theo? He won't."

"N-not Theo. Him."

"Who?"

"If word gets out--he could f-find me. He could l-lock me up again." I sob, imagining what will happen if Theo lets the secret slip. No doubt Alpha Ferix could somehow find out about where I've been all this me.

"Who?"

I just continue to cry, grasping his shoulder tightly. "He'll—he'll kill me, Daemon. H-He's tried before and he'll do it again! I know he will..!"

"He did what?"

I freeze, going silent. Shoot. I didn't mean to talk about my stepfather, it just came out. "I-I mean--"

"Tell me who this is, Ash."

"It wasn't-"

"Tell me who the fuck he is!" Daemon demands, raising his voice. His grip on my wrists tightens slightly.

"I really can't..!"

"Fucking tell me!"

"No!" I cry.

"Say it!"

"I can't!!"

"Tell me!"

"STOP IT!" I scream at him, my vision going blurry. I push him away, stumbling back into the counter. I feel like I'm going to faint. Why did I come down here?! All we're doing is a repeat of earlier. More fighting and shouting. This isn't what I wanted.

Daemon is silenced, our eyes locked as tears stream down my face. I breathe in heavily, trying to read his face. A mixture of shock and regret, and the lingering anger too. I guess that's the first time I've raised my voice like that at him. He doesn't say anything.

"When you act like that you scare me," I choke out, my lip trembling. "I don't want to be scared of you," I start to cry again, hiding my face in my hands. Daemon is the only person who's ever made me feel safe. I hate feeling like this.

Then I'm being pulled into a crushing embrace, tight against Daemon's chest. Weak to his touch, I hug him back tightly, desperate for comfort. He picks me up and sets me on the counter, evening our height gap a little bit. I wrap my arms around his neck, burying my face in his shoulder. We don't say anything for a moment until he finally speaks.

"I'm sorry for scaring you," he says quietly, "I should've controlled my temper."

I sniffle into his shirt. "I-It's okay,"

"No. I feel like shit about how I've acted today,"

I lace my hands through his hair, turning my face so it lays against his shoulder, breathing him in.

"I don't know why I'm so impulsive," he admits, his voice troubled. "I try to control it--fuck--but when he said that shit about you, I just lost it. And I've already done it again,"

I hold him tight, trying to provide the same comfort he does to me. "I know i-it's hard, Daemon. But you're the only person who's ever fought for me like that,"

Daemon fiercely kisses my forehead, kisses away my tears too. He doesn't let go of me the whole night, and I don't let him go either.

*

I wake up the next day feeling extremely depressed. What's new? But I was really feeling better lately. Should've known that would only last so long. I can't bring myself to move even an inch, much less get out of bed. I just want to lay wrapped up in the blankets all day.

I watch as Daemon gets ready, pulling on a fresh shirt, looping his belt. His gaze comes back to me almost every minute and I can almost feel the unease emanating off him. Once he's done, he comes to my side of the bed, kneeling down.

"Are you sure you're fine here? I can call in sick at work. Take you out," he says, his hand lightly caressing my face.

I shake my head somberly, but give him a faint smile. "I-It's okay. I don't really wanna go anywhere,"

Daemon nods in understanding, but he still looks conflicted. "I made some food for you. It's in the fridge,"

"Thank you," I nearly start to cry again at the sweet gesture, but I'm able to keep it in. I've been so emotional lately.

"Promise me you're going to eat it. You've already lost too much weight lately," his hand strokes down my arm, his hand softly circling my thin wrist.

"Promise," I say, reaching up for him and he leans in to my will, letting my lips grace his in a soft kiss. Of course, he always wants more and he eagerly deepens it, pressing me down into the mattress.

I let out a small noise of content into his mouth, butterflies exploding in my stomach. In my distress and anxiety of the past 24 hours, I'd forgotten how much I hunger for him, for his touch and intimacy. He wrecks me with his tongue, exploring my mouth as I desperately kiss back.

My eyes flutter open when we part, catching my breath. "Have a good day," I say softly, my hand cupping his cheek.

Daemon sighs, eyes bright with adoration. "That's cheating," he murmurs against my lips, giving me one last peck. He reluctantly leaves, telling me to call him if I need.

*

The next day I manage to get out of bed. I find Daemon is already gone so I walk down to the kitchen, finding him and Lucien there speaking in low tones.

"Ash, you're up," Lucien turns when I approach, smiling at me.

"Yeah..." I don't know how to act after what happened with Theo. I glance nervously from him to Daemon.

"I know the other day must have been quite a shock to you. But I've spoken to Theo. He's going to keep quiet,"

"A-and is he okay..?" I ask.

Lucien gives an agitated glance to Daemon who huffs, crossing his arms defensively. "He's not dead," Daemon shrugs.

Lucien shakes his head, rolling his eyes in irritation. "His entire arm is in a cast but other than that, yes, he's fine,"

I shift awkwardly on my feet, looking down at the ground. "U-Um sorry this all happened 'cause of me,"

"It's—" Lucien starts, but Daemon cuts him off, coming closer to me.

"None of this is your fault, Ash. I—we will protect you," he declares and I smile up at him, appreciating his words as he gazes back down at me. He looks so handsome in the morning. And every other time of the day...

We hear a cough, looking over to Lucien who watches us both, a grin twitching on his lips. "I'm glad to see you two are getting along so well now,"

"Lucien—" Daemon starts but the older man swats him over the head.

"Call me dad once in a while, won't you?" He says mock-angrily, winking at me.

I giggle as Daemon's face reddens, his grumpy expression I know so well surfacing.

The rest of the morning goes smoothly. I get the feeling Daemon was scolded by Lucien a lot more than he lets on, but I don't ask about it. I mean, I get it. I would be mad if my children beat each other up too.

When I get to school everything is going well there too, that is, up until lunch. I'm walking down the hallway to meet Jay in the cafeteria when I bump into the last person I wanted to see. Wren.

"S-sorry," I say with wide eyes, quickly backing up. I try to leave but his presence holds me there, his arm crossed as he glares at me.

"Why didn't you reply to my message?" he asks.

I already feel sweaty, my stomach turning in circles. "I-I didn't know what to say..."

"I'll take that as you were at my house. You went into my room, didn't you?"

"No..." I bite my lip, avoiding his harsh glare. God, we may be the same height but he's 10x more intimidating than I could ever be.

"Oh yeah? Well my mom says differently. So it wasn't enough to steal Jay away? You had to go into my private space?"

I clench my fists, anger building up to the surface. "I-I—You were the one who scratched me out of the photo! You called me fake!"

I regret it as soon as the words leave my mouth.

"So you did go through my shit, you lying cunt!" he hisses, grabbing me by the collar of my shirt. I immediately push him away, realizing it's not an unfair fight this time. He's an omega like me, not an alpha.

"Why do you hate me? I never asked for Jay to like me!" I shoot back.

Wren gives me a nasty look. "Cause you've got fuckin Daemon too and that's still not enough for you!"

"How do you know that?!"

"It's not a secret at school. People see shit. Hear shit. And y'know what I also heard? You and Jay were getting real handsy in the hallway last week."

"I'm not allowed to be his friend? F-Fuck you!" I snap. People assuming I'm with Jay is getting real old now.

"Oh the innocent little goodie two shoes wants to curse now?!" he comes at me again, pushing me back against the lockers. I grip his shoulders tightly, scowling at him.

"You're the one who didn't tell him you liked him all this time! Tell him! For godssake tell him or I will!"

A group of alphas walk past us, some of them whistling. "Catfight," one of them snickers.

Wren ignores them, deadset on me. "You wouldn't,"

"Why not? I could help you!" I argue back.

"Oh, real generous of you. Real fucking generous,"

"Why are you being like this?" I beg him to tell me, wanting to just understand. I don't want to fight. I've had enough of fights lately!

"You really want to know?! Fine. Jay fucking Rodriguez knocked me up at a party two years ago!" Wren shouts.

Any retaliation I had dries up on my tongue. I stare at him in shock, completely speechless. What?! Jay got Wren pregnant—they slept together?? Wren's eyes shine with unspilled tears and guilt stabs me in the gut.

"What?" a voice asks, but it's not mine.

We both look to our right, finding a bewildered-looking Jay standing there. "I did what?"

Wren breaks out into a sob when he sees the alpha, a look of terror on his face as he realizes Jay heard everything.

"You completely forgot me, didn't you? After getting what you wanted."

"I didn't kn—" Jay starts but Wren cuts him off.

"Fuck you. Fuck both of you," he snaps before turning and running away.

I stand there in confusion, looking to Jay. How could he do that to Wren? I look away from him, shaking my head in disappointment. I did not expect that from Jay. I start to walk away, not even wanting to bother with him. A grip on my arm stops me. "Wait, Ash," Jay says, his voice desperate.

I pull my arm out of his grip. "Why are you following after me and not Wren?" I ask incredulously. Jay must be out of his mind.

"If I had known, I would've taken responsibility. I probably forgot who it was because I was drunk--I swear,"

"You should be telling him this," I say coldly. Why do I have to be wrapped up in the middle of their drama?

"Shit." Jay puts his head in his hands, looking panicked.

"What are you doing? Go after him!" I urge.

Jay's eyes widen, looking in the direction Wren went. He looks reluctant to leave.

"You broke his heart, Jay. Go make this right," I cross my arms in finality. "Or our friendship is over,"

The blood in his face drains at that and then he's leaving in a rush, going in the same direction as Wren. I watch as he disappears down the hallway, a pounding headache overtaking me. I can't even find the heart to be angry at Wren anymore. I'm just so tired. I leave school that day in a puzzled daze, vaguely hoping the two will be able to work it out.

*

It's dark again. But somehow I can see my breath fogging up my vision. It's from the cold. Why is it so cold? I try to move, but it's like I'm sinking. My feet are stuck in thick, freezing sludge, I realize. My breaths now come out in panicked bursts.

"Ash~"

"Ash. Don't hide from me."

It's his voice. I hate the sound of it."I'm n-not hiding," I say back. Why can't I see anything? The sound of heavy footsteps comes closer. I can't see anything else but my stepfather's beady, glowing eyes. Eyes that burn with hate.

"Ash. You're hiding. You can't hide. You know that."

"I'm not! I swear I'm not!"

"I hope you're not lying to me. Remember this, runt. If I want to make you hurt, I will. If I want to make you bleed, I will. And if I want you gone," he grins so wide he looks completely mad. Blood runs down his face, dribbling into his mouth and coating his white teeth with red. "I will kill you." He holds the blade out, pointing at my head.

Then it goes dark. I stare up into the void in terror, anticipating the pain.

"N-no," I wheeze in panic. "Please don't—Please—" I whimper. "D-Don't hurt me," I cry in a small voice, trembling as I shield myself with my arms.

The dark figure looms over me and it hits me that this feels all too real now.

"It's me, shortcake. You're safe, " Daemon's voice filters through the air, and I realize where I am now, the familiar nickname registering. My eyes adjust to the darkness, seeing him clearly. He looks strange—expression distorted by confusion and anger and worry. All at the same time.

"O-Oh," I gasp, realizing I just said that to him. A wave of nausea rushes over me and I throw the covers off me, stumbling out of bed. I rush to the bathroom, slamming the door closed behind me as I fall on my knees at the toilet. I clutch the seat, recalling the horrible image of my stepfather. It's enough to have me vomiting up every last thing inside me, as little as that is.

I hear Daemon outside, his voice laced with concern. "Ash?" I hear a small knock on the door. "Can I come in?"

"No!" I snap, immediately regretting it. But I can't have him see me like this. I turn the lock on the door to make sure he won't come in.

"Are you okay?"

"J-just go..!" I yell as I fill up a cup with mouthwash, spitting into the sink to get the vile taste away. Once I'm satisfied with that, I violently start to rifle through the drawers, trying to find my pills. Did I forget to take them? Maybe I can just take extra so these horrible thoughts go away. So I can just be numb.

"What are you doing?" Daemon asks, more urgent now.

I ignore him, grabbing the orange bottle and hastily trying to pull off the cap but I do it to forcefully, breaking my fingernail instead.

"Fuck." I curse under my breath. Ouch.

The doorknob starts twisting and I realize Daemons trying to open it. "Stop! I told you—"

I lose hold of the bottle in my hands, sending it and all its contents scattering across the tiled floor.

"What are you doing in there?! Open the door, Ash."

"I can't!" I start to cry. "I can't do this anymore..!"

"Baby," Daemon's voice starts out calm, then raises in volume. "If you don't open this fucking door right now I'm breaking it down,"

I sniffle, imagining how he must feel. I'm making an awful situation so much worse by pushing him away. I can't keep locking Daemon out. In this situation or from me. He's Daemon. I trust him with my life. He's the one that was there in my worst moments. The man I fell in love with when he came to my window in the middle of the night just to make sure I was okay.

So I shakily stand up, opening the door. The second I lay sight upon him, half-lit from the dim light of the bathroom, I've completely lost all resolve. I collapse into him, burying my face in his chest as his crushing embrace surrounds me.

"I'm sorry," I sob. "I'm sorry,"

He picks me up by my waist so I can properly wrap my arms around his neck, hugging him as tightly as possible as my feet dangle over the floor.

"Don't be sorry," he says softly. "Just don't keep yourself from me,"

Daemon doesn't talk for a while, and neither do I. I close my eyes, head against his chest as I slowly calm down, Daemon rubbing my back like he always does. It's such a nice feeling, to be soothed where I used to be hurt so much.

Finally, Daemon speaks again, his voice deep and wrenching. "Who did this to you?"

I don't know how to respond. I can't even admit out loud that it's happened. Should I take the first step, like my psychiatrist told me to? Should I tell someone?

I breathe in shakily, glancing at Daemon. Would he judge me? I know Daemon has never judged me before. But the more he knows...fuck, I'm just going back to the same thought process as before. Daemon just assured me, gave me validation. Telling him...is the least I can do.

He watches me intently, eyes observing my face. He's waiting. Not pushing.

"Before I came here," I say so quietly Daemon has to lean in. "I--I lived with my stepfather. He's the Head Alpha of Dark Moon."

Daemon's eyes widen in surprise, but he doesn't say anything, just nods for me to keep going.

"Um. Um--" my lip trembles, already feeling my breath coming short. Just the mention of him sends me into a panic.

Daemon runs his hands up and down my arms, knowing how much physical touch soothes me. I've been touch starved for so long.

"M-my dad left the pack when I was s-six. That forced my mom and I to live with my stepfather..."

I go into the story of how she died from sickness and how abandoned I felt by my father.

"A-all I had left was Alpha F-Ferix. But he--" my voice cracks, my heart caving in. I don't know if I can say it. Saying it makes it real. It makes me have to acknowledge that it actually happened.

Daemon looks like he's about to stop the whole thing, and I feel the need to press on. I wanna get it out. I can do this.

"He liked...hurting me. U-Uh, it was fun for him, I think," I scratch at my hair, looking down so I don't have to see his reaction.

"It all s-started when I was 6. He'd burn me. T-Try to drown me. Other stuff, too. I don't really remember it all. What I do know is that he'd beat me almost every d-day. He let his friends do it too. And when I m-misbehaved, he'd lock me down in the cellar. I wouldn't be allowed to e-eat anything for days. And--" I wheeze for breath, tears rising to my eyes but I swallow them down, pressing on.

"W-when he got really m-mad, he'd--" I gasp, my airway feeling like it's going to close up. "He'd cut m-me with this l-long knife. T-that's why I u-um have that stuff on my b-back,"

Daemon has gone deathly quiet, but I keep going. "He hated me more than anything. He knew I liked art, so he c-crushed the bones of my right hand so I could never draw again. H-He forced me to-" I break out in a sob, clenching my eyes shut. "--to make paintings in my own blood. H-He told me I don't deserve anything, t-that I'm worthless and would be better off dead. S-So the night before you found me in the woods, he held a knife to my neck and tried to kill me. I b-barely managed to get away—"

Daemon shoots up to his feet, a feral growl ripping out of him. His fists clench so hard the veins in his arms look like they'll pop. And then I look up at his face. His eyes are red. He looks inhuman, the dark rage boiling beneath the surface.

I leap up to stand too, my heart racing. "Daemon..?" I say, my voice high with fear. That same, blazing anger distorts him. He doesn't look like himself.

"I am going to rip him limb from limb," he seethes, going for the door.

I grab his arm, latching on. "Wait!--" but he pulls out of my grip, grabbing the knob and ripping the door clean off its hinges, splintering the wood.

I yelp in shock, watching as it falls to the ground in a large crash. Daemon doesn't look phased. He marches right out the door and I cry, running after him.

"Daemon please," I wrap my arms around him from behind, trying to stop him. "It's the middle of the night. Where are you even going to go?! Dark Moon is miles away!"

"It doesn't matter,"

"They have guards around the pack perimeter--even if you got past, y-you can't kill him now. It'll start a war!"

"I don't care. Hurting you means war,"

I hold him tightly, refusing to let go. "Please don't. J-just stay. Stay here,"

"He cannot get away with this. He abused you--no, he fucking tortured you for more than half of your life.! He stole your childhood. He has to pay!" he roars, his wolf simmering to the surface.

"I know," I sob, clutching him from behind. "I know he does b-but he can pay later,"

Daemon turns to me. "That monster is still out there--alive and well even after what he fucking did..! No one gets to do what he did to you and live."

"But Daemon—" I plead.

"Imagine if you hadn't been able to escape him," he stops me, "You wouldn't be here right now, Ash. Do you know what the thought of that does to me?! The thought of that man killing my baby and I'd never even know it?!"

We lock eyes, my own blurred with tears as I look at him. I've never seen someone so angry for my sake, nor believed someone actually gives a damn about what happens to me. But I see it now. I see the pain in his eyes, the anguish, the way his chest rises and falls in angry breaths.

"Knowing what you went through is agony," his eyes shine with sorrow, his voice gruff. "I wish I had been there to protect you,"

I sob, shakily taking his hand into mine. "Then be here for me now. Don't go," I beg. "I-I'm not saying you can't kill him. Because I hope you do and I hope he suffers..!" That's the first time I've admitted that out loud.

"But not now," I shake my head.

Daemon is silent, taking all of me in. Then he lets out a long breath. "If I don't go kill him now, make no mistake--when I do get my hands on him, he is gone."

"Okay," I say quietly, a tear dripping down my face. I'm okay with that. Ferix deserves it.

We continue to look at each other, my face no longer hiding anything. I let him see it all. The ugly side of me, the part so broken and traumatized that I swore I would keep hidden forever. But there's no judgment in his eyes. The look in them hasn't changed. It's the way he first looked at me, I realize. I had been too out of it to see at the time, but when he first found me, for a moment, all I could see was that look.

That same look captures me now, has me throwing myself into his arms to have him crush his lips against mine in a ferocious kiss, one that steals my breath away. One filled with want--no, need. His tongue captures mine as he greedily takes from me, letting me take from him in return. When we rip away from another for air I stare up into his eyes, wondering what good deed I ever did to be blessed with him.

"What if I become a burden to you?" I whisper, my heart clenched.

His eyes glow like hot coals, the furrow in his brow deepening as he presses his forehead to mine.

"Never,"

If you thought this was the end of the drama...tee hee

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

206K 11.5K 31
Koa is sick of being an omega. The alphas in his pack treat his kind as objects solely for breeding and pleasure. He does everything to protect his s...
219K 4K 32
Ash is a little omega just trying to make it through the next day. His life has been pure hell until one day... the smell of Oak trees and tea change...
149K 6.1K 43
Jack was broken. Being the sole survivor of a massacre that killed his entire family while still a child weighed heavily on him. Fearing for his life...
153K 8.1K 38
Omegas aren't meant to be leaders according to most packs. However, Sage's pack has been under the lead of a progressive Alpha, and as the only chil...