Daggers and Daffodils

By LockPickCommposer

'Imagine if you were hiccups twin (yes I know, not that original, but stay with me) thanks to a certain nigh... More

Dragon Raid
Mark
New Friends
New Arrivals
Welcome to Berk
The Proposition
Turning Tides
Dragon Training
All Goes to Hell
The Lonely Dragon
He Returns
Happy Hunting
Airborne
Mixed Signals
Cat and Mouse
Bad Luck
Betrayal
Just Perfect
Sooner or Later
Patchy Faced Rat
You Little Brat
Couple's Quarrel
New Flyer
Family Feud
Not as Planned
Two Sides Same Coin
Update- will delete later

Downed Dragon

829 30 2
By LockPickCommposer

EARLY CHAPTER YAAAAAAY!!! ☆*: .。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

Hey everyone! So, for this chapter there's going to be our first, time skip. I apologize in advance if I confuse you at any point. Just wanted you to know so you understood why the last chapter is referenced to have happed a while back.  This time skip will take place in the beginning of the first movie. 

I am on a motivation high, and I am going to milk it for all its worth before I have another writer's block.

Also want to apologize for any grammar mistakes, I had to write the majority of this from my phone on a family camping trip.

-Clover/Peachmilkbard (AO3 account name)

Narrator POV

Over the years the Berserkers would come and sign the treaty, Dagur always in tow. While the announcement of your betrothal was sudden and there was little about it you understood, you saw Dagur as a friend (possibly more). However, with each passing visit you noticed Dagur was beginning to change. His once weird behaviors and loud tantrums had turned into straight up insanity and bursts of rage. This paired with him earning a proper mark two years after you resulted in him earning the name Dagur the deranged. You still remember the year Dagur had arrived on berk, rushing towards you to present you proudly with the Monstrous nightmare horn of his first kill (After he had thrown you in the air a few times of course). Dagur's relationship with Hiccup however had remained stagnant, as well as the other children your age. With each visit alongside spending as much time as possible with you, Dagur made it his personal mission to terrorize Hiccup. He had also grown a habit of chasing Fishlegs and ignoring/forgetting Snotlout (honestly you don't even think that one was on purpose). Dagur had come to be rather cold when dealing with Astrid, the first time he had become aware to how close you were with her his usual (TM) deranged grin had fallen and for a while you had almost begun to think he might have been jealous.  

However, despite his change in behavior and actions towards others he always looked at you with the same. Actually, over the years Dagur had become very possessive of you. Whenever you were together (which was nearly all the time) he kept an arm, or a hand wrapped around your waist. He would also act especially violent 'Jealous' when others would act in a 'more than friendly' manner. One such time was one of the few Dagur acknowledged Snotlout's existence. Snotlout had gotten too close for Dagur's comfort, and as a result he found himself upside-down trapped in a hay bale on the edge of the village, just out of screaming distance, for several hours. 

But in-between moments of terrorizing others and 'protecting' you from other possible suitors, Dagur made sure to get his point across that you were his everything. The usual tradition of the Berserkers bringing gifts had exploded. Dagur bringing an average of 10 for you and a gag gift for Hiccup, safe to say after the third year of Hiccup being jumped at by an eel in a chest Oswald stopped placing Dagur in charge of Hiccups gifts. 

Speaking of Hiccup, he had grown skilled in his job at the forge. In the words of Gobber, "The boy might not be able to pick up an axe, but he can sure make one". Criticisms of Hiccups supposed 'Hiccupness' had sprouted shame and fear in the village at their future chief. You would be lying if you were to say you weren't at least a little concerned for your brother, but you had promised to always stick by his side, and you intended to keep this promise. However, you found yourself constantly tested as tensions began to rise at home. Every dinner was silent and awkward as you tried and failed to get the two to connect, or at least have one normal conversation. Your father trying not to make you feel like he was ignoring you would change the subject, it inevitably turning to you. While you knew he was just trying to compliment you, the conversation would end up turning into your father using you as an example for Hiccup. So, after a while of this pattern repeating you would either shut it down the moment you were brought up or eat in silence.

That wasn't to say you weren't doing well yourself though. Within two years you had finished memorizing the entire dragon book and learning basic defensive maneuvers. And to top things off you as well as Astrid and the other's your age (minus Hiccup) were given the job of damage control. This mostly involved putting out fires, evacuating the young and sick, and supply runs. Thanks to both your training lessons and sparring with Astrid, you were both seen as the most likely to come out first (number 1) in dragon training, which was right around the corner. When you were younger you and Astrid had promised to stay friends and help each other no matter the results. But you could tell the pressure to prove herself to everyone, specifically her family was making her more competitive, and slightly cold.

It was the middle of another dragon raid; they were becoming even more frequent. You groaned angrily as you saw a Zippleback blow up a house you and Fishlegs had spent at least 20 minutes trying to put out. "Fishlegs fall back to the others I'll handle the rounds" you told him. "Are you sure you can do it by your sel- AHH" he screamed as a Gronckle spit a magma ball a little too close for comfort. Due to your similar calmed nature during raids (A front obviously, you would wait till no one was watching before you slipped into any empty streets or allies to have your panic attacks) you were constantly compared to Stoick.

"Go!" you ordered fishlegs. When you saw him turn the other way and begin running, you yourself took off. Avoiding fire and herds of dragons to get to the most crowded battle zone. "SUPPLY RUN!" you yelled out calling towards the engaged Vikings. A narrow path was created between them as they swung their weapons. "Ugh, why do I always get the jobs no one else wants" you ran through the path, half melted swords, maces, and broken shields being tossed to you. 

After securing the load of damaged weapons you hauled as quickly as possible to the forge. "Gobber, 9 swords, 2 maces, a shield, and as many ball Barings as possible" you said dropping the collected weapons. "On it" he called to you with his usual unnatural optimism taking said cargo to the forge.

"Oh, nice of you to join the party. I thought you'd been carried off" Gobber greeted to Hiccup as he rushed into the forge. You chuckled as Hiccup replied with his usual sarcasm, "What who me? nah, come on I'm waaay to muscular for their taste". 

"Where you been little brother? You're late" you teased, even though years had passed since your first encounter with the Berserkers, you still stood above Hiccup by about half a sheep's hoof. 

"Oh, the usual, avoiding death, getting yelled at by dad" he replied lifting the broken head of a war hammer onto a workbench. "Hurry up on that supply run Y/N" Astrid called to you as she and the others filled their pales with water. "I'm working on it Astrid" you watched as she threw the water onto a flaming building, only for it to explode once she turned her back. This caught Hiccups attention who was now openly gawking at her, you rolled your eyes with an exhaled chuckled. You had watched your brother fawn and crush on your best friend for years now, so you were used to it. But it didn't make it any less funny how often he would walk into walls or trip when he saw her. 

Your attention was drawn back to the battle at hand when Gobber dropped the mended cargo, 'Back to work then'.  Running down your practiced paths you returned to the heated battle front distributing the weapons. 

"Ok, done with the supply run, now I just need to regroup with the others" you said trying to distract yourself enough to give you a few more minutes before your panic attack. You were about to leave when you heard a familiar high pitch screech growing closer. "Night fury!" "Get down!" you crouched to your knees with your hands blocking your face when a flash of purple flew overhead destroying one of the watchtowers, along with a catapult. After a few moments the beast seemed to disappear, you lifted yourself running towards the water cart hoping the others hadn't moved on to another section of the village yet. 

Once again you heard the high screech, you looked to the sky to see the beast's shadow in the sky leaping into its own fire. It leaped into its fire one last time before suddenly disappearing, with a faint painful howl. 'Where'd it go?' you wondered.

"No time to think about that!" you scolded yourself continuing your sprint to the others. That it until a street to your right you saw Hiccup being chased by a monstrous nightmare. "Hiccup!" you chased after the two. The dragon hopped from building-to-building shooting at Hiccup. He ducked behind one of the torches as it released a large exhale of fire. The pole protected Hiccup from the immediate flames.

Running towards him as the monstrous nightmare moved around the torch to stand in front of him you grabbed a half-broken shield from the ground. Ramming it into the beast's face, you were able to knock it away from Hiccup. You felt your heart hammer in your chest as it recovered and turned to look at you. Your breath turned ragged, and eyes wouldn't blink. 'Oh no. No No No No! Not Now' you felt the familiar signs of your panic attacks begin to take hold, and struggled to keep your mind from  falling back into the memory of your first encounter with a dragon.

The brief relief Hiccup had from you stepping in evaporated when he saw you begin to shut down. Throughout your many panic attacks Hiccup and on the rare occasion Astrid, had remained a constant through them, often coaching you through breathing and calming you down.

Before the monstrous nightmare could launch itself to attack you, your father threw himself at it, punching it square in the face. The dragon realed, trying and failing to shoot him with a blast of fire.

"You're all out" in a series of haymakers Stoick punched the beast shooing it away with a final kick.

You cringed as the torch fell, tumbling down the stairs. Stoick turned to Hiccup, 'this isn't gonna end well'.Hiccup started to plead his case saying that he had shot down the night fury, only to be met with your fathers anger.The adrenaline and final bits of your control broke like a dam as you felt your stomach turn. Using the last bit of strength you had, you snuck away from the crowd into an Alley way, throwing up.

"Need a hand?" It was Astrid. "No. I think the worst of it's over" you rose to your feet, Astrid holding a mug of water. "Thanks" you took a sip.

"Sometimes I can't believe you two are related, then I see you like this and can".

"Rude" you elbowed her. "I'm just kidding. But really, tonight was embarrassing for everyone, it's gonna take us weeks to repair that torch" Astrid said.

"He's trying his best, Astrid" you tried, though she remained unconvinced. "Well, if his best gets in the way, he shouldn't do it. If I had it my way you'd be future Chief, but I don't,. Luckly with how weak he is all I have to do is wait" you felt your face heat, but not like it usually did when you were with Dagur,with rage. Where had this come from, you knew Astrid didn't care for Hiccup and his antics, but she never went as far as to say it aloud.

"Never say that about him again, Astrid!" You yelled. She sighed, "Fine. I'm sorry" you could tell she didn't mean it. Noticing you still seeming she showed slight regret "We ok" she asked. "...yeah, sure. Just give me some time to cool off" In truth you were livid, but enough time seeing Dagurs outbursts thought you not to do anything rash when you're angry. "I'll see you later" you excused yourself heading home, with only a small goodbye from Astrid.

You returned home to a quiet house. Stoick likely went back to the front to assess damages. "Hiccup?" You knocked on his door "you awake?" You opened the door to see him sitting at his desk drawing. He had a habit of designing and tinkering things you didn't understand when he was upset.

Realizing you had entered he stopped. "... I'm sorry Y/N. I didn't mean to put you in danger it's just- I-". "Think about what your gonna say first" you teased trying to lighten the mood. He looked at you irritated before softening, "I just want to be normal. It I can just kill a dragon, my life will be infinitely better" you watched in amusment as he paced around flailing his arms and he talked about "The woes of Hiccup", he was always such a drama queen, but you guess that was just what made Hiccup... Hiccup.

He sighed (for the umpteenth time), "I really did hit that night fury. You believe me, don't you?" Honestly you didn't know, it was highly unlikely. But you didn't think he was lying, maybe he was just mistaken.

"Of course" you said. After all, you made him a promise. One you intended to keep.

Hi guys thank you so much for reading this chapter. As I said in the begging of this chap. I'm on a writters high, this paired with the fact these next two or three chapters will mostly be world building (so not much Dagur) I'm going to try and get them out as soon as possible so you can get what you came here for; that sweet sweet Dagur content. So expect these next few chapters to come out really soon.

Also, sneak peek; Remember when I said world building. Expect longer chapters. Plus, you get to meet your dragon(s) soon.

Next chapter release date: no later than 4/10/22 😊

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

647 0 9
Forced to leave home, Hiccup and his Night Fury, Toothless, took off into the great unknown, venturing the Archipelago like no one has ever did. He s...
1.6K 23 5
Hiccup had won the honor of killing an agressive Monstrous Nightmare. Since, he wouldn't kill a dragon, his only option: To run away and leave Berk f...
2.8K 91 12
---------𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄, Hero child of Berk, the chief's daughter, living up to the expectations of being an amazing dragon killer...trains a dragon...
19.2K 352 14
[HTTYD Fanfiction] Hiccup Haddock never knew why he was born, especially among a tribe of dragon-hating Viking. Since childhood, he has been weak and...