Anchor {h.s}

By K_arry

She was the anchor that kept him steady above the water. He was the anchor that made her sink. A story filled... More

prologue.
one
two
three **
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen **
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty-one
twenty-two **
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight **
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
Q&A
book 2

twenty

22.7K 983 454
By K_arry

"Is your friend staying here long?"  

I turned around, a dishcloth in one hand, a clean glass in the other, noticing Niall leaning in the small opening separating us. I shrugged before leaning back against the counter and mindlessly wiping the glass.  

"I hope not," I admitted, looking over my shoulder, catching a glimpse of Harry.  

He sat at one of the tables near the window and read the journal, a coffee next to him. He had been there from the moment I started my shift three hours ago. When he had dropped me off in front of the restaurant, I had hoped that he would then be leaving. I even believed he was since once I was out of his car, he started to drive away, but I was mistaken.

It only took me getting into the employee's room to change, when I came out, I immediately spotted him sitting at the table. He had only gone to park his car before coming in the restaurant and getting a table.  

I tried to politely tell him to leave out, but he wouldn't have it. I stopped trying before we caused a scene, but if he were to stay, I was determined to I kept our contact to the minimum. So, in the span of three hours, I took his order - he ordered his usual - and I brought him his plate. After that I only walked quickly by his table to refill his coffee and never spoke to him. He tried to start a conversation with me, but every time, I would turn around, ignoring him completely. 

I knew Niall had noticed how tense I was, but I was glad that he kept his questions to himself. He didn't even ask why I missed two work shifts. He knew that something was wrong and that if I wanted to talk about it, I would. It was something I really appreciated with Niall, he seemed to always be exactly what I needed. A drinking body, a shoulder to cry on, or simple company, I felt as if he could do it all.  

"You know," Niall said with a suggestive tone. "I heard that alcohol helps with forgetting."

I laughed softly. "Does it?"  

With Niall, alcohol seemed to be a typical conversation topic. It also seemed to be the solution to everything.  

He nodded dramatically. "It does," he confirmed. "And I happen to be free Friday night."

"And I happen to want to forget," I replied, my tone light, but my words true.  

We kept the conversation light, but I knew that this was Niall's way to tell me that he was there if I needed him. And I gladly accepted his support, even if it was in the form of a drunken night. Wendy had supported me by acknowledging my pain, giving me advice as well as small words of support. I appreciated it, but it seemed to only remind me everything that was happening. I felt as if Niall's approach was much more appropriate right now.  

Niall chuckled, with his precious and unique laugh, and I laughed along. It seemed impossible not to laugh when he was. His laugh alone was enough to make anyone join him, even if there was nothing funny.  

His laughter stopped when his eyes landed on someone behind me. I didn't even need to look to know exactly why his eyes were slowly widening.  

"Am I interrupting something?" 

Harry's voice sent chills through my spine, and it took me a second to gather enough strength to face him. I inhaled deeply to calm myself down, but it was no use; once I turned around and saw him so close to me, looking into my eyes with such intensity, it took my breath away.  

He had his armed crossed over the counter and leaned in, lazily holding his empty cup of coffee. He wore a smile, but it was nothing reassuring. Once he detached his eyes from mine and stared at Niall, his smile became menacing.  

"You're not interrupting anything, mate," Niall shook his head, completely unfazed by Harry's jealousy.  

Seeing how Niall couldn't careless about Harry's attitude gave me the courage I needed to confront Harry too.  

"What do you want Harry?" I asked while crossing my arms over my chest.

His eyes soften and he lifted his cup. "I just want some more coffee, baby." 

I frowned as I roughly grabbed the coffee pot. I leaned in, playing as if he didn’t intimidate me.  

"Don't call me baby," I threatened, looking at him straight in the eyes.

He raised his hand, claiming innocence. "Sorry," he pouted before drinking a sip of his coffee. "So, what are we doing Friday night?" He asked with an arrogant smile.

I rolled my eyes. "With you? Absolutely nothing." 

He laughed softly, not caring about my comment, and it angered me. I understood that he was trying to be the friend he used to be, that he was acting as if everything was normal, but he had it all wrong. It was already irritating me that he was trying to prove to me that he cared, that I meant something to me, the way he did it, made it even worst.

Acting as if everything was normal, as if he hadn't broke my heart a few days ago, was like making the situation meaningless, but it wasn't. It shattered my world and that meant something to me. 

"Stop acting like nothing happened, Harry."

He dropped his gaze and took in a deep breath. "Sorry," he apologized, sounding more genuine than his previous one. "I just," he stopped, looking around before leaning in closer and taking my hand. "I want us to be okay, I want us to start over and I'm not really sure how to do this."  

He bit his lower lip and focused his eyes on my hand as he softly caressed it. I stood still, my breath caught in my throat as he touched me so tenderly. No matter how much he had hurt me, it didn't change the effect he had on me. The sweet burning sensation wherever his skin made contact with mine, the acceleration of my heartbeat… all of it was still there when he touched me.  

"I hate knowing that you're mad at me and that I hurt you, I'm just trying to make things better. But it's hard, because it seems like I don't know how to function or think straight without you." 

He didn't give me time to reply, he released my hand and went back to his seat. I watched him walk with his back to me, turning around before he could catch me looking at him. 

Niall was back in the little kitchen window and he looked at me with a knowing smile. I smiled back while releasing a deep breath. He chuckled softly before mouthing 'Friday'. I nodded with a small laugh escaping my lips.  

The rain kept falling outside, the restaurant was almost silent, the only noise being the sound of the raindrops hitting the window and the soft sound of the radio playing in the background. I still had an hour to go on my shift, but I had cleaned every table, wiped every glass and organized everything on the counter, which meant that I had nothing left to distract me from Harry's heavy presence.  

His words echoed in my head, even if I tried to ignore them. It stunned me how easily he could mess with my emotions. All day, we had barely exchanged words and yet he had still succeeded in getting under my skin.  

I didn't understand why he had stayed all day here, I had made it clear that his presence wasn't wanted, but he persisted and hung around all day. I wondered why and as I had nothing to do, and maybe because I was a little sadistic, I decided to go and see him and ask.  

He turned his head away from the window as I came closer and a hopeful smile spread on his lips. I bit my lower lip and stood next to his table. The journal that he was reading earlier was closed in front of him and his cup was half empty.  

"Hey," he said with a soft voice that stirred my inside.

"Harry," I replied with the same tone. He smiled and waited for me to say something. "I just…  Can I ask you something?" My confidence was gone, and I was sure that Harry could see it.

He nodded. "Of course, Em."

"I'm just wondering why you're still here."

He frowned, figuring out what I meant than his face soften and he leaned back casually. "I'm waiting for you to finish your shift."

Now I was even more confused. "Why?"

He looked outside for a second and looked back at me before shrugging his shoulders. "Because it's raining," he explained. "I want to drive you back home." 

I closed my eyes and sighed deeply, but I was strangely okay with it. While this morning I had been angry with him for showing up at my doorstep, it seemed as if, throughout the day, I had softened towards him. As if simply having him near, even if it was hard on my heart, had put me in a passive mode. I didn't feel like fighting him anymore.  

I leaned on one leg, then on the other. "Why stay here all day?" I asked with my eyes casted down.

He shrugged. "I just missed you, and this was the best I could get," he admitted. "Even if you avoided me all day." 

I looked up, meeting his deep green eyes that I loved so much, and wondered if I would ever get over him, if there were a way to stop loving him. It seemed impossible; it was like he knew exactly what to say to push me away and exactly what to say to draw me in. It felt as if he was the one deciding what I felt for him.  

He stared at me, expecting an answer, but I had none to give. "I'm done in an hour," I mumbled before turning around and going into the kitchen.  

As I entered the kitchen, I saw Niall quickly grabbing a spatula and pretend like he was doing something. Immediately, I knew this wasn't right. 

"You enjoy spying?" I asked, my arms still crossed over my chest.

He looked down and his cheek turned red. " I have nothing to do," he replied innocently.  

He looked up carefully with a small smile and I couldn't resist. I smiled too. We both chuckled and my irritation towards Niall was gone.  

"I'm not going to feed you on gossips," I warned playfully.

He shrugged. "I'll just have to get you really drunk Friday and uncover all of your darkest secret."

I rolled my eyes. "Sadly for you, I'm not a talkative drunk."

"What are you then?"

I looked down, suddenly embarrassed to share this with Niall. "I'm more like… the horny drunk."

His mouth formed an o as he realized what I had said, he laughed nervously. "Yeah, well you're not going to get that with me," he joked.

I laughed along. "I don't think Melissa would like that," I joked.  

I didn't really know where Niall and Melissa stood at the moment. I had been so caught up with my own problems, that I didn't really take the time to ask. And maybe part of me didn't really want to hear about other people's love story while mine was such a disaster.  

"She probably wouldn't," Niall agreed.

I leaned against the wall, looking at him suggestively. "So you and Melissa, then?"

Niall raised both his eyebrows rapidly and I laughed at how silly he looked. "I guess we really have to see each other Friday."

I nodded. "Definitely," I replied before getting back into the dinning room.  

As I exited, I crossed Harry's gaze, but he quickly looked away as I caught him. I bit my lower lip before keeping myself busy for the remaining of my shift.

.
.
.

Hope you enjoyed that chapter! What do you think of it? Any prediction ? :)

Someone in the comments said that the song All in my head fit this story, and I have to agree ! I have been listening to the song on repeat since that person commented that (Who said that? I couldn't find the comment again :( ) the song is amazing and does fit well. Also, just a little bit of your heart by Ariana Grande. I suggest you listen to both of these songs, you'll understand ;)

As always, a massive thank you for voting and commenting, it's truly appreciated <3 

lots of love, 
Karry xx.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

112K 2.7K 21
Nothing in life is for certain, the flowers will wither, the storms will cross, just like the sun will become eclipsed-the stars will align before di...
3M 74.8K 97
"And your eyes... irresistible." Starting your life over is hard enough on your own. But what happens when the world is suddenly watching when you be...
47.6K 2.2K 15
and with the deafening mind of hers came a sorrow she submitted to. it was as if she was submerged underwater for years of her life, solely being foc...
157 9 12
The only thing she feels when she sees him is knots. ••• WARNING: This story may contain alcohol and explicit language. Trigger warning! All right...