Book 1: Broken (Kiba Inuzuka...

By Silver-Tigress

12 year old Kimiko Sumire's clan was massacred by a man with green snake like eyes when she was six years old... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Naruto, The Movie: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow, Part 1
Naruto, The Movie: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow, Part 2
Naruto the Movie: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow, Part 3
Naruto the Movie: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow, Part 4
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Naruto, The Movie: Guardians of the Crescent Moon Kingdom, Part 1
Naruto, The Movie: Guardians of the Crescent Moon Kingdom, Part 2
Naruto, The Movie: Guardians of the Crescent Moon Kingdom, Part 3
Naruto, the Movie: Guardians of the Crescent Moon Kingdom, Part 4
Naruto, the movie: Guardians of the Crescent Moon Kingdom, Part 5
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Sequel!!!

Chapter 26

326 8 0
By Silver-Tigress

Kimiko's P. O. V:

We were all surprised to see it none other than Iruka Sensei from our ninja academy days.

I say in surprise, "Iruka Sensei?!"

"It looks like you've gone through a lot in this test." The brunette man smiles at us.

Naruto wants to know, "Hey! What's the deal with the surprise entrance?! Why are you appearing with the Summoning?"

Iruka explains, "At the end of the second exam, we Chunin are supposed to welcome the test takers back, and well, it was just good luck that I got to be the one given the important task of being the messenger for you guys."

"Messenger...?" Sakura repeats, to my annoyance. Does she really feel the need to repeat what a Sensei says?

"You do know what that means, right, Sakura?" I ask with a deadpan expression.

She glares at me from beside her. "Of course I know what it means, Kimiko!"

"It's good to see you, too, Kimiko. I see you've changed a lot," Iruka says, gaining our attention.

"Oh. I..."

"Yeah, yeah! Kimi-chan's been awesome! A little scary, but awesome!" Naruto says, pointing at me.

I grow an anime vein as I demand, "What do you mean, I'm scary?! I'm
Not scary!"

"You are now. Kinda," Sasuke feels the need to input. I scowl at him.

"Kimiko has saved our lives countless times, Iruka Sensei," Says Sakura, now smiling at me. "She's no longer the girl you used to know."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I question harshly.

Iruka smiles. "I'm glad to hear that. I do hope that none of you have bothered Kimiko too much."

"Of course not," Chimes Sakura.

Iruka, watching our interaction, pulls out a pocket watch to check the time. "Whoo! And you guys made it just in time, too." He flips it closed before tucking it back in his pocket. "And now... congratulations! You've passed the second exam! To celebrate your passing, I would love to treat you all to some Ichiraku Ramen, but, um..."

"Ramen?! Seriously?! That's so cool!!" Naruto cheers, running over and hugging Iruka.

"I'm not done!" Iruka snaps.

"So cool!"

"Let go!"

"Believe it!"

"Naruto!" Iruka urges as he finally releases the Chunin.

"Oh, yeah! Ramen would be awesome!" Naruto cheers loudly, giving me a bit of a headache. "Especially agreed the bugs and plants we'd had to eat for the past two days! I'm gonna eat every noodle ever made!"

Sasuke and Sakura slump on the floor, exhausted, but I remain standing, planting a hand on my hip.

"Oh, man..."

"Where does he get all his energy...?"

"Yeah!" Naruto cheers loudly, making my left eye twitch.

"Naruto, shut up!" I snap, instantly silencing him. I ignore the grateful looks from Sakura and Sasuke, as well as the surprised one from Iruka.

"Alright. Well, I can see you're still as hyperactive as ever, Naruto," Says Iruka.

Sasuke says, now understanding, "Now I see. So then if we'd looked at the scrolls in the middle of the exam... what would you have done to us, Iruka Sensei?"

Iruka says as he picks up the Earth scroll, "As usual, Sasuke, you're as sharp as a tack. You've figured out the secret."

Iruka then explains the purpose of this exam was to test our ability to carry important items without looking at the contents, as we may get given a mission as such in the future.

🗡🗡🗡

When Iruka finishes his explanations, I say tin a stern voice, "Alright, you two, Naruto, hop up! This is no time to relax and kick back. We've still got one more exam to do."

"How are you not tired?" Sakura groans, looking up at me.

"Oh, I am. I'm really tired. Now, hop to it! The second we finish this last exam, the second we can all sleep and chow down on Ramen, Iruka Sensei's share," I say. "And also sleep for a whole day."

The Chunin starts a little at that before he smiles sheepishly.

"Whatever you say, Captain Kimiko," Sasuke says, climbing to his feet.

I send the three a smile before turning to the door, my blonde hair swaying about my shoulders.

"You three had better go after her," Says Iruka.

"Gah! Wait for us, Kimi-chan!" Naruto exclaims as I hear my teammates run after me.

All the Genin were gathered in single file in a huge room with a giant statue of a pair of hands in the Ram hand sign, all the Jounin and exam instructors gathered before us.

Even the Hokage was here.

Anko declares, standing off to the right, "First of all, congratulations on finishing the second exam!" She smiles at us.

I see the Grass and Sound teams have made it, along with the Hidden Stone. All the Leaf Village teams were here, too.

I was really happy and glad that Kiba's team made it. He glances at me and I send him a winning smile, making Kiba blush.

"I'm so hungry," I hear Choji complain.

Shikamaru complains, "What a drag. There are so many left. This is such a pain!"

Ino says excitedly, gazing at Sasuke behind me, "Sasuke and his team have passed too!"

Shikamaru drawls, "Well, of course they did. After all the trouble we went through to keep them safe, they'd better have passed."

I swivel a glare to the Nara as I snap, glaring, "Hey, Nara! Watch it, because I was the one who'd saved all your asses back there! So if anyone's tired here, it should be me. You should all be grateful to me for risking my neck to save yours. Don't complain about it."

Kiba snickers slightly.

Sakura giggles at my outburst while Naruto takes a moment to register what I just said. Then he gives me a deadpan look while Sasuke expertly ignores all of us, though I knew he knew I was right.

I see Kiba grinning at me and I look away with a blush.

"Yeah, yeah. We know you fought off all those Sound ninja. And we did thank you for it. No reason to get all snappy about it. It's such a drag," Says Shikamaru.

We fall back into silence. I hear Guy making some sort of commotion up ahead and peer around Naruto. I meet Kakashi's eye and he sends me a proud closed eye smile that makes my heart tug with warmth.

When Kakashi looks back at me, I send him a cheeky wink. He shakes his head slightly in exaggeration.

I hear Akamaru whimpering and peer over at Kiba. Concern glinting in my blue eyes, I ask softly, "Kiba-kun, is Akamaru okay?"

He turns his head to me and says, "No. We saw that redhead from the Sand Village go up against some Hidden Rain ninja. It really freaked him out and he's been like this ever since."

I remember what I saw in my Telescope technique and try to suppress a shudder, briefly flickering my eyes to Gaara. "I know. I saw it in my Telescope technique. I'm glad you and the others are alright."

"You saw it? Kimi-chan, I want you to promise me you won't fight that guy. I need you to stay away from him. He's dangerous. I can't bear for you to get hurt," Says Kiba, concern in his voice. I look back at him in surprise, then smile softly at him.

"It might be impossible to avoid fighting him in the final exam, but I don't care. I'm not that worried about him. Though, if it'll make you feel better, I'll try to avoid him," I say, giving Kiba an assuring smile. Kiba appears relieved.

Then, the Hokage steps forward and gives a speech about the third exam. The true purpose of these exams is to raise the abilities of Shinobi and increase the friendship between allied nations, but they're a representation of battles between allied nations.

Before the nations became one, in order to avoid destroying each other's military strength meaninglessly, those nations picked champions to do battle on behalf of their country's mutually selected location, which was how these exams originally began. Choosing us to be Chunin wasn't the whole point of these exams. It's a place where we can fight with the pride of our nations on our backs. And fight against other ninja for their very lives.

Many leaders from various provinces are invited to attend this exam as guests to possibly seek shinobi to work for them. This exam could determine the course of our future. These rulers could watch our battles and take note of the strengths that each ninja and nation is developing. If there's a gap of power between countries, the strong nations are inundated with jobs requests for their ninja, and conversely, the countries for the ninja deemed weak are declined.

In other words, the stronger our nation is, the better our position when it comes to negotiating neighbouring countries. It's important to show how much military strength our village has.

We all share our strength and the true strength of the shinobi is only achieved when pushed to its limit, such as in a life and death battle. This exam is a chance for each nation to display the strength of its shinobi as well as the strength of its nation itself.

It has meaning because our lives are on the line. Due to this, our forerunners fought in this exam.

It's a custom in which balance is preserved by competing and dying. In the world of the shinobi, that is friendship.

The third exam is a fight for life with the pride of our village and our own dreams at stake.

Before the Hokage could begin to explain the third exam to us, a man with shoulder length brown hair and his headband tied around his head like a bandanna suddenly appears in a crouch with his back to us.

"Hokage-sama. "Before you do, please allow me, Hatake Gekko, appointed as Proctor of the third exam, to speak first."

Hiruzen says, "So be it."

Hatake rises to his feet as he says, "It's nice to meet you all." He lets out a cough before turning his black eyes to us. "There is something I'd like all of you..." Another couple of coughs. "... to do before the third exam."

As Hatake continues to cough, I grimace.

He's our Proctor? Why would they let someone this sick examine us? This guy seems to be really ill.

Hayate at last finishes coughing and gives us all a tired smile.

🗡🗡🗡

"Uuuhhh... we have to have a Preliminary Exam before we can move onto the real one," Says Hayate Gekko, much to our disbelief and annoyance.

"Huh?" Naruto and I gasp.

"A what...?" Sakura breathes.

"Preliminary?!" Exclaims Shikamaru. "Just what do you mean by that?!"

Sakura speaks up. "Um, I'm sorry. Sensei, excuse me! But I really don't see the point. What's this Preliminary all about? Why can't we just move onto the third exam?"

And why do we have to do it right after the second?! We're all tired and worn out from the Forest of Death exam!

Hayate explains, "Uh, well, you see, the first and second exams might've been too easy. The fact is, we never expected so many of you to still be here. According to the rules of the Chunin Exams, a Preliminary Round could be held at any given stage in order to reduce the number of candidates remaining."

Sakura gasps, mint green eyes wide, "But! Is that fair?!"

"It's just that," Says Hayate, "at this stage, we have to speed things up a bit. As Hokage-sama said, a lot of important guests will be watching. We can't afford to waste their time. They've come to see only the best. So if there are any of you who feel are not in top physical condition, now's your chance to—" The brunette cuts himself off with a sharp, pained cough.

"You're one to talk," I think with concern as I gaze at him.

Finishing his coughing fit and dropping his fist, Hayate says, book in hand, "Sorry about that. As I was saying, any of you who don't feel up to this, now's the time for you to bow out. The Preliminaries will be starting immediately."

Kiba yells in annoyance, echoing my earlier thoughts, "Come on!! You mean, right now?!"

Ino adds in an exhausted tone, "We just finished barely surviving the last exam. Can't we catch a break?"

Shikamaru groans, "Man, what a drag!"

"Hey... when do we eat?" Grumbles Choji. Naruto swallows thickly, clenching his fists.

Hayate explains, "Oh, yeah... the winners will be determined by one-on-one combat, sudden death. So, like I said, if there's anyone who doesn't feel up to it, now's the time to raise your hand."

Suddenly, Sasuke grunts in pain and I look as his hand flies to his left shoulder.

"Sasuke?" Asks Sakura, gaining Naruto's attention. "Sasuke, listen to me. You've got to quit." This causes his onyx orbs to jerk wide. Naruto gasps. Sakura continues in a concerned tone. "You've been like this ever since you've tangled with Orochimaru! And it's getting worse. It's that... mark he put on you, isn't it? You can't deny it, Sasuke!" Sakura places her hands over her chest as she squeezes her eyes shut. "Please!" She wipes tears away from her eyes. "Please, Sasuke. Quit now, before... I don't know what. I'm scared."

"Sakura," I think with softened blue eyes as Sasuke glares at her. She's right though. Sasuke's in no fit physical condition to fight.

If only I'd been stronger, I could've prevented this from happening to him. I clench my fists, my nails digging into my palms. It's all my fault Sasuke is in this position.

I don't even know what I'll do if his Curse Mark gets out of control, or if I'll be able to stop it.

Sakura begs the Uchiha as I look back at them, "Come on! You know as well as I do you're in no condition to keep on fighting!"

"Shut up, Sakura!" Sasuke snaps, glaring at her, hand still on shoulder.

"You think I'm blind, or something?!" She exclaims.

"Will you please be quiet?!"' Hisses the Uchiha.

"You think I don't see the suffering you're going through?!"

"That's enough, Sakura!"

Clenching her fists, the green eyed girl says, "I'm sorry, I can't let you do it go yourself! I'm going to... tell them about that mark! Then, maybe you'll..."

She goes to raise her hand, but Naruto gasps when Kabuto raises his, surprising us.

"What the...?" Utters Kiba.

"Ok! You got me," Says Kabuto with a sheepish expression. "I'm out."

Wide eyed, Naruto gasps, "But...! Kabuto...!"

Hayate flips some papers on his clipboard and reads through it, coughing. "Uuuhhh, Kabuto Yakushi of the Leaf Village, right?" He glances to the silverette. "Ok. You can go on and step back."

"Gotcha!"

Kabuto goes to leave but Naruto calls after him, "Kabuto! Hold on a second! You can't quit!! I don't get this! What's going on?!"

The Yakushi half turns to Naruto as he says in a feigned apologetic tone, "Oh, Naruto! Sorry, but my body's just too beat up; I can't hack it. The fact is, ever since Orientation and that dust up with the Sound Village team, I've had no hearing at all in my left ear! And, now to have to put my life on the line? To fight again, right away without a break? I can't do it."

Kabuto exchanges a few fierce whispering with teammate with the bandanna before he gives Naruto an assuring closed eye smile and a friendly wave of his hand. Finally, the silverette turns and exits the room, footsteps echoing on the stone tiles.

I just glare at him.

"Good riddance!" I mumble under my breath.

With a cough, Hayate asks, "Now then, does anybody else want to quit?"

Sakura goes to raise her hand but Sasuke clamps his free one down on hers with a slap, causing the pinkette to gasp.

"Don't you even think of telling them about this mark!" Sasuke warns her.

Sakura sobs as she shakes her head. "I don't get what you're trying to prove! Am I supposed to just stand by and watch you tear yourself apart?!" Sakura drops her gaze sadly. "I can't bear to watch it!"

Sasuke tells her simply, "Then, don't watch, just stay out of it!" Sakura gasps at this, jerking her gaze up to his. "This has nothing to do with you!" Sasuke releases Sakura's wrist as he adds, "I told you before." He drops his other hand as he turns from Sakura. "What I am is an avenger! For me, this is something far more than just an exam. Whether I become a Chunin or not, means less than nothing to me." A shadow falls partially over his face. ""Am I as strong as I can be?" All I want is the answer to that. I can only find out by fighting, the strongest, the best. And the best of the best are all here." Sasuke aims a glare at Sakura. "This is the path I walk. Not you or anyone can change that!"

With wavering eyes, Sakura breathes, "Oh, Sasuke!"

Naruto snaps, "Man, you don't know when to quit! What are you butting your head up for, you idiot?! It's just 'cause she cares about you!"

"Naruto." Sasuke cuts him off as he turns to the blue eyed boy. "You're one of the ones I want to fight the most." Naruto lets out a gasp. "Kimiko." I snap my violet eyes to the Uchiha. "You, too. I want to fight you, as well."

"Looking forward to it, Uchiha," I retort, giving him a wolffish grin.

Hayate speaks up. "Alright, then. We will begin the Preliminary Round. This round will consist of one-on-one individual combat, at full battle intensity. This is not an exercise. There are 24 of you remaining. So that means, we will need 12 matches. The surviving candidates from these matches will advance to the third exam. As for the rules, there are none. You will fight until one dies or concedes defeat, or is rendered physically incapable of continuing the contest. Naturally, those who are losing are urged to concede defeat promptly to avoid a fatal outcome. Furthermore, as Proctor, I'm given a certain amount of leeway in judging the matches." He coughs behind his hand. "I might occasionally intervene if a match seems hopeless. To save as many lives as possible. Now, it's time to reveal what fate has been chosen for you."

The Gekko turns his head to the purple haired kunoichi. She gives a single nod before pressing a button on a mouthpiece attached to some head gear, and speaks into it. "Open the panel." A panel on the top left wall slides upward, revealing a black screen.

Hayate explains, "The names of each pairs of opponents are chosen completely at random. Before each match, the names will appear on the display behind me. As there's nothing more to say, let's begin. In a moment, the names of the first two opponents will appear."

The screen flashes yellow for a brief second before two names shuffle at rapid speed on the screen.

When they stop, Naruto gasps and my eyes widen slightly.

The first match is:

Kimiko Sumire

VS

Ren Hayashi

I feel my lips curl into a smirk.

First up, huh? This'll be fun!

I feel Sasuke, Gaara, Neji and Lee eyeing me but I expertly ignore them, feeling waves of curiosity coming from them.

Hayate calls, "Alright, now. Those whose name's have been drawn, come forward." I step forward just as a female teen around my age with long purple hair and emerald green eyes does, confidence swaggering in her step. She's from the Hidden Grass Village.

We face each other. Ren has a wide smirk and bright eyes while I'm smirking.

Hayate holds up his hands as he announces, "You have been chosen for the first match. Kimiko Sumire and Ren Hayashi. Are there any objections?"

"None at all," I state.

"I have no complaints either," Says Ren.

"Alright, then. Let's begin the first match." A cough from the Proctor. "Ok. Everyone other than the two opposing candidates will now clear the area and move to the upper level."

Naruto says to me, "You've got this, Kimi-chan!"

Kiba adds, "Take her down, Kimi-chan!"

They and all the other Genin and adults make their way to the balconies; Leaf ninja on my right, the others on my left.

Kakashi pauses by me on his way to the stairs and says, "Just so you know, if it gets out of control, I'll be stepping in to stop the match. Good luck. I know you've got this."

I know he means my Curse Mark.

"Don't worry, I know. But I've got it handled. Thanks... Sensei," I reply with a smirk. He sends me a closed eye smile that makes his eye turn into a u before Kakashi goes to join my teammates upstairs.

Hayate declares, "Then, if you're ready, let the match begin!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.7K 136 133
Two and a half years have passed since Naruto Uzumaki left to train with Master Jiraiya. Kimiko Sumire and her friends have been training hard themse...
644 31 19
Something ominous is coming to stir the hidden Leaf village as an oblivious Kumo is dragged into it. Kumo Kazumi: a prodigy of one of the very few cl...
1.2K 79 13
"Please don't leave me." "I have to." ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Miki Uzumaki. A girl who's feared by the village hidden in the le...
21.5K 651 25
Aisha Inumaki was found by leaf ninja running away from Orochimaru, late at night. The Hokage allows her to stay in Konoha and places her on Team 7...