X-Men 1st Redemptions

By worldwalkerdj

Back with another story of our dynamic DJ duo, and their wacky but nerve wracking adventures: This time Shine... More

Introduction
1: X-troductions
2: X-Pectations
3: X-Cursion
4: X-planations
5: X-cident
6: X-pedition
7: X-pedient
8: X-onerated
9: X-amination
10: X-communication?
11: X-treme
12: X-tolling
13: X-pectations--2
14: X-Pertise
15: X-hibit
16: X-tortion
17: X-acerbate
18: X-amined
19: X-tinguished
20: X-tinguished-2
21: X-position
22: X-posed--1
23: X-posed-2
24: X-ceptive
25: X-agitate
26: X-ceeding
27: X-traordinaries
28: X-torsive
29: X-changes
30: X-cerpts
31: X-stole
32: X-lucidating
33: X-pertise
34: X-odus
35: X-terior-1
36: X-calating
37: X-terior--2
38: X-cuses
39: X-hortation
40: X-cavation
41: X-cavation-2
42: X-cavation-3
43: X-tremities
44: X-celsior
45: X-celsior-2
46: X-punge
47: X-cimer
48: X-hibits
49: X-pelled
50: X-scapee
51: X-capee-2
52: X-solated
53: X-travagate
54: X-ilic
55: X-istential
56: X-istential-2
57: X-cluded
58: X-trageneous
59: X-cluded-2
61: X-cludable
62: X-posed-3
63: X-cruciating
64: X-cruciating-2
65: X-asperated
66: X-ternally Bound
67: X-ternally Bound-2
68: X-ternally bound--3
69: X-cursion
70: X-uvia
71: X-odoi
72: X-orcised
73: X-egesis
74: X-uvia--2
75: X-termination-1
76: X-emption
77: X-campment
78: X-campment-2
79: X-stablished
80: X-quivalent X-change
81: X-quivalent X-change-2
82: X-termination-2
83: X-traversion
84: X-stablished-2
85: X-citation
86: X-plaining
87: X-temporal
88: X-ceptions-1
89: X-ceptions-2
90: X-hortation-2
91: X-asperation
92: X-lucidatory
93: X-plete
94: X-plicit
95: X-pso Facto
Ending notes: About how I create

60: X-amined

8 0 0
By worldwalkerdj

Sabretooth tried to grab Kurt by his tail and yank him down, but Kurt dodged again.

"Please, go avay," he said.

"Hold still, you little bug," Sabretooth said.

"My money's on Kurt," Morph said to Mystique.

She bit her lip. "Don't underestimate Sabretooth.... He's killed before."

"Is this a bad time to ask...how did you ever meet?" Morph said.

"It's a long story," Mystique said. "And not one of my favorite memories."

"You've had it worse," Sabretooth said to her.

Mystique couldn't argue that...but she still grimaced.

"Apparently, you actually knew her identity," Kurt commented. "How odd."

"Not really," Mystique said. "Disguising oneself as a human to someone who hates humans makes no sense. For once being a mutant served better. The only time, really."

"Enough chit chat." Sabretooth took advantage of Kurt's distraction to catch him by the neck.

"Stop this," Mystique said, in more alarm.

Kurt poofed into the air, however, and Sabretooth went with him, then fell on his backside.

Morph thought that was funny.

"You should see your face," he said, then he morphed into him.

"Another shapeshifter?" Sabretooth sat up. "How many of you are there? One is bad enough."

"Just me," Morph said. "I think..."

"I believe fighting is vasting our time," Kurt said. "And Herr Logan vill soon realize you are here."

"Well, that is just what I'm counting on," Sabretooth said.

"Kurt," Morph hissed, "go warn them. I'll stall him."

"Are you sure?" Kurt said.

"Sure, yeah, I can handle it. I'll just become him if he tries anything," Morph said.

Kurt vanished.

"Where's he going?" Sabretooth said.

"Maybe he got tired of talking to you," Mystique said dryly.

"So, who's that one's father?" Sabretooth asked, in a more snide tone. "Another mutant?"

"No...actually. Human," Mystique said. "The irony is not lost on me. Nor that you named that other one after yourself."

"You didn't stick around to vote," Sabretooth said. "Thought he'd end up a mutant, like me. Odds were for it. Struck out on that."

"Your family tree is so confusing..." Morph shook his head.

"And what are you?" Sabretooth was leery of fighting him right off, since he could have evenly matched him. "Another X-man?"

"I...was..." Morph said.

"Mystique always has to have her victims," Sabretooth said.

"As if you'd know," Mystique muttered.

"I think you might be misunderstanding," Morph said. "Actually, Mystique is--"

Mystique kicked him and shook her head with a nervous glance.

"--just staying here for the time being." Morph surprisingly complied. "Sort of because of a little problem with Creed himself."

"I heard he finally ended up in jail again," Sabretooth said. "Figures... Couldn't stay out of it at all away from me. Tell me, did he ever thank those mutant X-men for helping him?"

"I wasn't really part of that," Morph said. "You'd have to ask the others... I know he hates them still... He seemed to hate Likstar and West also."

"That twig?" Sabretooth said. "Heh, she saved his sorry life. Goes to show."

"I think I'm missing some context..." Mystique said strangely.

"I'm just as lost as you," Morph said.

Sabretooth wasn't interested in fighting them; he had little to fight them over. "Where's Wolverine...?"

But right then, Shine came racing out (Kurt found her first).

"Well..." she said, "it really is him... Hello, Tony."

"Quit calling me that," Sabretooth snapped. "Well, if it isn't the little b---- I came to find."

"What? I thought you said you wanted the X-men," Morph said.

"So? I don't take kindly to people who try to screw me over," Sabretooth said.

"Must make it awkward to look in the mirror," Shine said saltily.

"I remember your lip." Sabretooth extended his claws. "I told ya I'd find ya one day."

"Yes, you came to the home of your worst enemies for revenge on a person you met one time," Shine said, crossing her arms. "And I let you go, to boot. Does ingratitude just run in this family? You're all the same: You want to strike at anyone who sees you vulnerable, even if it's to help you."

"Shut up," Sabretooth snarled. "You talk a big game, but I bet you're not really powerful after all."

Shine's eyes flashed gold.

"Well, you really don't know that for sure," she said. "But go ahead, take a swing at me." She was totally unafraid, and it showed.

Mystique wanted to scream at her not to bait a beast like Sabretooth but checked herself... What was she even getting worked up over?

"She is awesome," Morph said admiringly. "But also...probably a little nuts."

"I..." Sabretooth hesitated. "You don't really want me to take you up on that."

"No, I really don't," Shine said, with the air of one who would have considered it a waste of her time, not a threat. "How about you come in and have a seat, and we can sort out why you really showed up. Or you can spend your impromptu visit in our holding cells. Your choice."

"Why, you little--" Sabretooth growled at her. "I'll cut you to ribbons."

He took a step forward.

Mystique actually tried to move, and Morph held her back. "Are you nuts?"

Shine didn't flinch. Sabretooth got right up in front of her.

"You want to push me?" he said.

"Do you want to push me?" Shine answered back, in a very steady, slightly frightening tone.

"I outta..." He stuck one claw right under her face.

Shine just looked up like it was boring. 

"You want to kill me?" she said, like she was asking if he wanted some coffee. 

Her whole demeanor was just too weird to someone like Sabretooth. She was creeping him out, just like she had before.

He pulled back. "You're not worth it."

"I agree, I'm not worth the killing," Shine said. "I'm much more valuable to you alive... Shall we go inside?"

"If this works," Mystique hissed to Morph, "I'll faint."

"Please don't," Morph said. "Once was enough for that."

Mystique suddenly turned red under the blue, like she realized the implications of that statement.

"I ain't going in there cause you said to," Sabretooth sniffed. "It's just because I came here to settle things, and you're not gonna stop me."

"By all means," Shine said. "Nice to see someone wanting to settle something around here. But warning, if you come in, I expect you to not harm anyone. If you try, you can swim back to Canada."

"Just how would you make me do that?" Sabretooth demanded.

Shine just smiled smugly. "Don't find out." She turned and opened the door. "After you."

Sabretooth glared, but then he walked through the door.

Mystique's mouth dropped open.

Shine cast a look at them over her shoulder. "Never show fear to people like him." She shrugged. "Works like magic, every time. I'll be fine, don't worry. I can handle Sabretooth better than any other villain around here. But you should probably not follow us. It's awkward for both sides."

She went inside.

"I gotta start keep a score card of this," Morph commented.

Mystique swallowed. "Sabretooth is afraid of her? What did she do to him?"

"I'm gonna guess nothing," Morph said. "I'd be afraid of her too, if she acted like that... Yikes, gives me the creeps."

Mystique just shook her head.

"How'd you not get killed with that guy?" Morph said. "I mean...honest question."

"With Sabretooth?" Mystique said, shrugging. "I turned into him--gave him quite the shock first time...but when he saw he couldn't just beat me up, he compromised. Didn't make him likable...or useful, really, but when you're desperate..." She realized she'd said too much there.

Morph looked a little green--not literally.

"Well...I hope Shine knows what she's doing, then," he said.

"The only possible way to make this more unpleasant would be if Creed himself was here," Mystique said bitterly. "But I won't wish such things into existence..."

She suddenly felt lightheaded again. She'd almost forgotten while Sabretooth was there...

"Ah..." She sank to the ground.

"Maybe you should just go back inside," Morph said.

"Either help or go away," she said through gritted teeth.

Kurt reappeared. "Did he hurt you?"

"No..." Mystique said, "I am just weak... Curse these injuries... I hate this."

"I'm sure it is painful, but another veek or so and you'll hardly notice it, according to Dr. McCoy," Kurt said cheerfully. "Here, I vill help you back inside. I only hope Herr Logan is able to control his anger. Sabretooth seems to have some odd purpose in being here, but Shine vould not say what."

He took Mystique and poofed her back to her room. She was too tired now to complain about it.

* * *

Wally was pretty weirded out to see Sabretooth of all people walk in, followed by Shine, who shrugged at him like she just couldn't help it.

"Hi again." Wally rolled with it.

"And you're here too," Sabretooth growled. "So where's Wolverine? That weakling."

"How many times has he handed your butt to you?" Wally asked.

Sabretooth took a wild swing at him that Wally easily dodged and then leaned on a chair.

"Just asking," he continued, like nothing had happened.

"You're fast," Sabretooth noted.

"You don't miss much, huh?" Wally said.

"Have a seat." Shine gestured. "The others will realize you are here soon enough, so this may be your last chance to tell us why you came here."

"Revenge," Sabretooth said. "Starting with the two of you."

"Poppycock," Shine said. "You'll have to do better than that" 

She sat down on a chair like it was a throne and regarded him quite coolly. 

Wally never got tired of watching this--it always put people off balance in such a weird way.

Sabretooth clearly didn't know what to make of Shine. He was far less sharp then even the X-men's dullest member would have been.

"What do you mean?" he said.

"Well, you came in here," Shine said. "You said it's not worth it to kill me and by extension Wally. You might be here for Logan, but he regularly beats you in a fight."

"He does not!" Sabretooth said.

"Oh, please." Shine picked up the tea she'd had before leaving this room and took a sip. "Look, it's no difference to us, Sabretooth. But you can't show up here and harass our friends and just expect us all to take it lying down. Do you want us to keep the X-men from pounding the stuffing out of you when they come in? Or shall we do this the hard way? Per our arrangement with them, we can only offer protection to people who are not going to get violent."

"What are you talking about?" Sabretooth said.

"Whatever you came here for," Shine said, "revenge will not satisfy you. How many times must you rehash this? The X-men don't care about you if you leave them alone, and they outnumber you if you don't. You hate Logan, I know already. Unless you came here to settle your differences finally, I only assume you came to finish that conversation we started."

She leaned on her hand. "Is that right?"

"No!" Sabretooth snarled. "Though now that you bring it up, I have a bone to pick with you. How did you know so much about me? Hardly anyone knows that. Did Xavier spill?"

"We don't ask Xavier for details about people," Shine said. "We do our own legwork, thanks. Of course, you may not believe us, but it would be just as easy to lie to you and say he did and push the blame onto him, so why would I lie?"

"Huh?" Sabretooth said.

Wally rolled his eyes at Shine from behind his back.

Shine didn't acknowledge it.

"Look, Tony, it's been a really long week," she said, folding her hands. "You would not believe just how much we've been dealing with. So, I really, really don't want to add fighting you to the list. I think you need help, that's what I think."

"Why would I need help?" Sabretooth asked.

"Because after years of hatred and rage and spiting the world," Shine said, "you are starting to realize it's not making you feel any better. You're jealous of the people who rise above that, and try to tear them down, along with the humans you blame for the atrocities done to you and others...but you're adrift. All this is not really a purpose, after all, it's just anger. And there's nothing more angry than a man who's got no purpose and too much free time and power. Tormenting people is a pleasure that only lasts for so long before it turns sordid, like all other sinful ones. It's gotten old, hasn't it?  You've come here because working with Wolverine is the last time you felt any sort of purpose in life, as bad as it was, and you're drawn to that memory, but perhaps we also caught your interest a little. Is that about right?"

A stunned pause.

Wally made a "zing" sort of gesture.

"The...the h--- do you think you are?" Sabretooth finally spat.

Shine tilted her head up. "Child of God, Future Queen of the World, current partner of a Superhero, and a teacher of the Word. Salt of the earth, light of the world, and slave for Christ. Priest, Judge, and Plaintiff all in one. Who do you think you are?"

Wally stifled a laugh.

Sabretooth couldn't keep up with her at all.

"You...what? What kind of a crack answer is that?"

"You asked who I thought I was." Shine shrugged. "I was just giving you some samples. The list goes on. Who do you think you are? I'd like to know."

"I... That's a stupid question," Sabretooth said. "You're changing the subject."

"Am I?" Shine raised an eyebrow. "Because you must think you're a pretty big shot to waltz in here like you're invited and declare you're going to get revenge. You must have known half of the X-men are away right now, but even so, it's a foolish idea. What right do you have to do the things you do? On whose authority?"

"I don't need no one's authority to come here," Sabretooth said.

"Well, in that case--" Shine stood up. "--I guess you can just go."

"You think I'm just gonna go?!" Sabretooth said.

Shine's eyes snapped gold sparks. "It actually wasn't really a question," she said.

"Hold it," Wally said. "Maybe we should give him one more chance to start this over... I mean, look at him, he looks like he needs some kind of help, that outfit to start with...but also, you know, kind of sad looking."

"Sad?!" Sabretooth said.

"Well, most mutants look sad to me," Shine said. "Probably because they are. But I suppose it's true--we could give you one more shot. Do you want us to help you or not?"

"Help...you mean like Xavier," Sabretooth scoffed. "Digging through my mind."

"Oh, no," Shine said. "We don't believe in invading people's minds. We never have." She crossed her arms. "Very much against that method of help. People have a right to their own mind... Anyway, I don't want to see what's in there."

Wally chuckled. "Believe me, you really don't."

"If you don't do that, then what do you do?" Sabretooth said. "Confuse people to death?"

Shine laughed. "That's not bad... I should remember that line...but, please, if we could confuse you to death, you'd be dying already."

A pause while that sunk in.

Sabretooth actually kind of smirked.

"That's true... Eh, I'll give you this, you're better at the quips than Wolverine...but I'm not interested in your wishy washy garbage. And I also don't have a problem."

"We both know that's a lie." Shine still had her arms crossed. She sounded like a mom calling her kid out for hiding something.

Sabretooth wasn't used to people just straight up telling him he was lying--usually they just attacked and insulted him first... This was weird.

But...like most people who are not too bright, he was easily overawed by a clever person. Either that or infuriated...

But he was kind of wary of them still, so it was shifting into overawed.

"Sit down," Wally suggested amiably.

Sabretooth actually sat down... He was getting too confused to be sure of what he was doing anymore.

"We don't have a lot of time," Shine said, "so let's just cover the basics. Of course you want to know more about us, since you'd have to to defeat us, so we'll tell you more about what we do."

"Uh...yeah, that's it," Sabretooth said, still befuddled. "What's your game? That's what I want to know."

[I think she just used the Jedi Mind Trick on Sabretooth.]

"Exactly," Shine said. "Well, it all started with getting our next assignment..."

Wally grabbed popcorn...literally.

* * *

"Vill you be all right alone?" Kurt asked Mystique. "I mean...vith that man in the house?"

"I can't believe she let him in." Mystique put her hand to her face in exasperation. "That woman!"

"You should hear how it's going." Morph looked in. "I was listening for a bit. They're running circles around him...but now they're on the tack about their mission and faith and stuff...he's actually listening... I think Likstar convinced him he'll be able to get around them if he learns more. It's the scariest thing ever."

"If she makes Sabretooth one of her projects, I'll die," Mystique said.

"I hope not," Kurt said. "It vould be a pity to die over that... But...vell, all things are possible vith God, but I didn't see much of an openness in him... He seems to only vant to hurt people."

"Yes, that is what he does," Mystique said bitterly. "Well, who am I to talk?"

"I don't think you're quite the same," Kurt said.

"Yeah, he's definitely uglier," Morph joked.

They both looked at him, Kurt confused, and Mystique nonplussed.

"Sorry..." Morph said. "Just trying to lighten the mood... I mean, someone has to. Logan's gonna flip when he sniffs him out. He must be in the pool room or he'd have already."

"Does vater alvays block his nose?" Kurt said.

"It doesn't help," Morph said. "But shouldn't one of us warn him?"

By us, he meant Kurt--he didn't want to be the one to light that fuse.

"I...vell...perhaps, but I prefer to not upset him," Kurt said. "Perhaps they can convince Sabretooth to leave. They have done stranger things."

"I bet they could," Morph said. "But, heck, they could just make him leave. I bet he'd be real afraid of that portal thing. It scares the heck out of me."

"Is it so terrifying?" Kurt said oddly. "I had never thought of it."

Mystique shot him a look.

"Oh, sure," Morph said. "You could drop someone from the top of a building or into the ocean. It's seriously overpowered."

"But I have to see it and be close to it," Kurt said. "And I could not vant to hurt anyone."

"Well, you might not, Kurt, but some people would," Morph said. "And Likstar's got unlimited range. West is faster than a bullet or a lightning bolt. I'd never want to be on their bad side."

"I do not think they have one," Kurt said.

"Good thing," Morph said.

"Do you mind?" Mystique said. "If you two want to chat, you can leave."

"But I thought it might vorry you to be alone," Kurt said.

"Kurt, I am well used to being alone!" Mystique snapped sharply.

Kurt backed up. "Of course..."

Perhaps it was progress, but he was finally starting to be a little less surprised by her lashing out. And to understand it might not be personal. His mother was like a wounded animal, scratching at any hand that would try to help or hurt it further.

"Gee," Morph said. "You don't have to bite his head off."

"No, it's all right," Kurt said. "Ve are probably just annoying her."

Mystique looked down. "It's not like it would help anyway... You'd be smarter to back them up. He's an idiot, but he's not entirely guileless. He's tricked people into things before."

"I think Jubilee did mention that," Morph said, "but I didn't really get the details. She just said he faked being nicer... Hard to picture."

"How long did you know Sabretooth?" Kurt asked Mystique.

"Long enough," Mystique said.

Kurt took that for what it's worth.

"You know," Morph said, "I just realized--Cyclops is totally gonna think that Mystique and Sabretooth are collaborating... I mean, we all know about...uh... So anyway, that's... You're not, right?"

"What? Of course not!" Mystique said, like the very idea was insulting.

"But can ve believe you?" Kurt said soberly. "Of course I vant to...but history..."

"Believe me, Kurt, it's not worth it," Mystique said. "Sabretooth doesn't help anyone for free."

Kurt, being his innocent self, did not quite understand her meaning. Morph did. He made a face.

[If you don't get it, I'm not explaining further either.]

"Vell, even if I believe you, I am not sure Cyclops vill..." Kurt ventured.

"Just what I need." Mystique lay back. "Another thing to blame me for... I don't care anymore."

"Would you care if he kicked both of you out?" Morph asked.

"Make my day," Mystique said.

"Together?" Kurt said.

Mystique cast him a sideways glance.

"You think... No...that is something he would do." She sighed. "We have got to get rid of that brute before they get back."

"I didn't even realize they veren't here," Kurt said. "I vas studying... It is so different living vith people who are gone all the time."

"Well, we don't have much time," Morph said. "It wasn't that big of a mission. I really just think they were bored... Things have been quieter and quieter since those two arrived here...which is kind of weird, isn't it?"

"You think there is a connection?" Kurt said.

"Not at first, but I'm starting to wonder," Morph said.

"It is possible," Kurt said. "Perhaps Gott shows His favor towards us by sending some easier times. I find there has been enough excitement right here vithout needing any more in the vorld at large. But if they vill be back soon, ve had better hurry."

They looked at Mystique.

"Any tips?" Morph asked.

"For getting rid of Sabretooth?" Mystique said. "Try adult responsibility."

They frowned.

"Right...no, that's me," Mystique said dryly. "Well...he may act tough, but he's not that brave, really, if you strike the right nerve. Likstar did it--so do it again. She probably could now, but if she's her typically overly compassionate self, you should push her."

"I... Can you even push Shine?" Morph said.

"I don't think you can," Kurt said.

"You can push anyone," Mystique said. "Certainly what matters to her the most is keeping everyone safe. Sabretooth is not safe."

"I think there is more to it than that," Kurt said. "She has velcomed you, even vith the risks...but ve can discuss it. Surely they vill be reasonable. If he is a menace, they vould never let him stay...though Jesus did eat vith tax collectors and harlots, so I suppose that could be the source of their friendliness towards...less reputable people."

"That would mean a lot," Morph admitted. "I should really read that book... Wait, why tax collectors?"

"At the time of the Bible, they vere...sort of like how people think of corrupt bureaucrats now," Kurt said. "Though I know little of such things."

"Tax collectors have not changed over millennium," Mystique muttered. "The comparison stands..."

"Sinister does have that vibe," Morph admitted. Then he shuddered. "Well...uh, let's go, then..."

They left.

Mystique was far too curious now to stay put, and, characteristically, they forgot to lock the door.

She snuck out to the top of the stairs to catch the conversation. 

* * *

"This must be the nuttiest crap I've ever heard," Sabretooth cut in to Shine's explanation.

"Why?" Wally asked.

A reason seemed to fail Sabretooth.

"Well...because...you can't be serious about it--going hopping around telling people about God's love and crap," Sabretooth said. "I know all about that... My own father was religious."

Shine and Wally exchanged a look.

"Two things," Shine said. "One, just because a mouse lives in a cookie jar doesn't make him a cookie."

"Yeah, makes him a mouse," Wally said.

Shine gave him an odd look, but Sabretooth appeared to understand the joke.

"Two," Shine resumed, "do you really want to take your father's view of anything?"

Sabretooth was rather trapped by that question.

"I don't think that God stuff makes anyone a better person," he said instead.

"But millions of people claim that is does," Shine said. "Couldn't it just be that there was something seriously wrong with your father, if he didn't display such traits? If someone runs over you with a car, it doesn't mean the car doesn't work, it means they're a bad driver. All things we live in we often change to suit our wishes. If someone's faith is not sometimes difficult or unpleasant of them, I question if it is real or in their heads. Certainly, anyone who uses it as a reason to be cruel is not denying their own pleasure, unless they are just very misguided. With your father, I can't be sure what his problem was, but I do know nothing about treating people cruelly is biblical. So he must not have believed that same thing we do." She shrugged. "Other than your personal experience with the dark side, is there any real reason to doubt we're telling the truth? We helped you out before. I know you don't take kindly to that, but, at least, it didn't come with a price, did it? If it did, you could say we were hypocrites, but freely you receive, freely give. Our salvation cost us nothing, so helping others is not something we charge for."

"Then help me get revenge on Logan," Sabretooth said.

Shine and Wally just laughed.

"What a thought," Wally said.

"I'll tell you what--the best revenge you can get on Logan," Shine said, "is just not to try, not to think of it at all, and to accept what we're talking about. That would piss him off way more than anything you've come up with. We ought to be friends."

"You'd never be friends with someone like me, even if you were serious about that idea," Sabretooth said. "I know your type. Think I'm some kind of monster for what I did to that boy."

"I have been friends with monsters before," Shine said, dead serious. "It's nothing new. God is your judge. I find it hard to sympathize with your treatment of him, but I know a bit of what it's like to be treated that way, and so do you--thus far I can sympathize. I try not to think about the rest."

"You're crazy," Sabretooth said.

"And you're not?" Wally said.

Sabretooth chuckled. "Might be right about that."

"Unbelievable," Morph hissed to Kurt as they came in. "I think he's actually warming up to them."

"Vonders never cease," Kurt agreed. "But ve still must do as my mother suggested, if ve do not vant blood spilt today. Ahem." He got their attention.

They all three looked at him like he was interrupting.

"Yes, Kurt?" Shine said.

"If I may." Kurt tapped Shine. "Ve all feel that while...ve respect your efforts, doing this here, now, vith Herr Logan close, and the other on their vay, is unvise. Can't you persuade Sabretooth to go? Gently, of course."

"I can hear you," Sabretooth said. "And I'm not afraid of Logan. He can just show his face--I dare him."

Ill timed words.

"I'll show you more than that!" Logan suddenly came charging into the room... He was in regular clothes and his hair was wet, so he must indeed have been using the pool. But that didn't stop him from pouncing.

Sabretooth blocked, of course, and knocked him aside. Snarling.

"Kurt!" Shine cried. "Break this up, please."

"Of course, Frau." Kurt grabbed Logan before he could get close again and poofed him across the room.

"What are you doin'?!" Logan swatted at him. "Let me go. He's a menace! Just let me get my claws into that furball!"

"Big talk for such a little man!" Sabretooth said.

Shine blocked his path. "You stand down this instant."

"It was nice chatting and all, but I came here for one reason and one reason only." Sabretooth raised his hand to swat her aside.

Wally shoved him back so fast he couldn't even see it.

"Paws off, big guy," he said firmly. "Let's not get too worked up."

"You better get out of my way," Sabretooth said.

"Yeah, just let me handle this!" Logan said. "I don't know what he told ya to get ya to let him inside--"

"He said he came for revenge," Shine answered, "so we've been talking about things. It was going real well till you barged in, claws out. Really, Logan, will you ever not take the most incendiary approach to something?"

"What?" Logan spat. "You were just talkin'? What are ya, crazy?"

"We sure do get asked that a lot," Wally mused. 

"Brother, I know this is difficult," Kurt said. "But I really think that it vould be best to let them handle this. Things vere calm before."

"Yeah, that's his trick, right before he claws yer throat out," Logan said. "Tried it with Jubilee."

"We had no intention of letting him get that close," Shine said. "We're not stupid, despite what you clearly think. Now stand down, Logan, or I will come over there and make you."

Her eyes flashed.

Logan was surprised.

"And you too!" Shine turned to Sabretooth, who flinched.

"And just what will you do to me if I don't?" he said, kind of nervous.

Shine pulled out her sword as easy as pie and tilted her head. "I could start by trimming those claws of yours."

"I wouldn't push her," Wally said helpfully. "She's cut through stone with that thing."

Sabretooth blinked.

Logan lowered his claws sourly. "Likstar, I swear if I didn't know ya could just teleport me out of here, I'd--"

"You'd what?" Shine said.

And suddenly Logan began to think Shine might not be the best person to sass... The look in her eyes was downright terrifying. Like a teacher who's daring you to cross the line one more time, or your mom who's had just about enough.

He went quiet.

Sabretooth didn't care for her tone either.

"Both of you sit down," Shine went on in the same voice. "Or so help me..."

They both sat down.

[I don't know why I always find these kinds of scenes so funny, maybe because this approach will actually work in real life a surprising amount of times, speaking as a teacher myself.]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.3K 301 13
Wh-who are y-you?" Leprii stuttered. Her throat hurt as she said this; she hadn't talked in months. "Child, we are here to take you away from this aw...
20.9K 1.6K 12
A mediocre human isn't exactly a likely protagonist, or so he thinks until something decidedly not average happens to him - an alpha werewolf way out...
396 1 24
The Dawn of X has arrived in the Marvel Universe. Xavier and his allies have founded the new mutant nation of Krakoa, promising a safe and supportive...
15.7K 474 64
(CREEPYPASTA/MH x READER ?PARODY?) It's 2019, your a teenager looking for an exciting summer with your Best Friend. While on the look out for change...