By Their Stripes

By highlandelf29

It was Dragons not power that made the Targyrens kings, but it was Tigers that kept them on the Iron throne. ... More

Cast
A War and a Wedding
Cast: Post Roberts Rebellion
A Game of Loyalty

The Beginning

320 5 0
By highlandelf29

During the reign of Magor the Cruel

"Run!" Caspian pushed the young prince and his sister forward as they ran from the palace they had been held captive in. He had made a pledge to King Aenys to protect his children and he would keep it.

For a time the two young royals had been safe at the palace that their uncle had been holding them prisoner in but now Magor was getting more and more paranoid.... It was only a matter of time before he killed all those who could claim his throne from him.

Personally if you asked Arathorn this madness was the result of inbreeding but he was too loyal to the Targyren line to say so. His house had been by their side when they first came here to Westeros and if he had any say his descendants would be by their side long after he was dead in his grave.

As soon as they were safely away Jaehaerys looked to his rescuer, his fathers best friend with tears in his eyes "Thank you Lord Caspian... My family is in your debt."

Arathorn reached out placing a hand on the boys shoulders "Never send me from your side when you are king, that will be all I need in payment."

Arathorn smiled when he saw his family waiting for them, his wife a warrior in her own right, his sons strong and powerful.... The Lancasters believed it was fear and power that made a house strong... He did not believe so, in his eyes it was loyalty, true loyalty to your faith, your family, and your king.

They lived on the run for months guarding the prince and princess, before hearing the news that Magor was dead. It was Arathorn who stood beside the king when he was crowned, and when asked what his house would accept as payment for their protection he asked one thing

"Let me and those who come after me protect your legacy my King, let us protect the children of the King who sits on the Iron Throne."

Jaehaerys nodded "So let it be written, so let it be done."

_________________________________________________

Before Roberts revolt

Ellrias Lord of House Caspian was a man of power, any who looked at him could see it. Tall and handsome with a shaved head and eyes that pierced souls, he was a man sure of his house and his ability... Born the lesser son to a third wife, no one had ever thought he would amount to anything.

 But when his brother died in battle leaving no heirs it had been Ellrias who the House of Caspian and Lordship of Tygros had fell to... Ellrias who at the time had been by the side of King Aegon his close friend, Ellrias who was married to a Dothkari girl he had met long ago.

Ellrias who was born to do nothing but serve was now head of his House.... He had taken it in stride, in his eyes it was a way to give his wife and children a better life then the one they had led.. His wife Vera, who had born him two sons Ellrias II (nicknamed Ellry) and Lorn..  and was now pregnent with a third child (more then likely a boy since that was all his house ever had).

Ellrias was released from his Kings service and sent to his new home, it was there that his wife gave birth to their third child..... A daughter the first in their line in 300 years Ellrias was fastidiously proud of her, his little Tigress, his little Aella.

The House of Caspian had never held the thoughts about women that others did, in their eyes even if a woman died not live by the sword they could still die by one.

  The woman of house Caspian had only one rule, that from the time the had their first moonblood they wore a veil or helmet over their faces until the day they wed (if they so chose.

This was to respect the warrior women of the past, and let the men they would wed know they were marrying a warrior not a housewife

So from the day Aella could walk she began to be trained alongside her brothers, she too would one day be a member of the Tiger guard.

It was said in Westeros that Ellrias was a man proud of only three things, his wife, his children, and his ability with a sword... For he was truly the best sword in Westeros only Arthur Dayne was his equal.

As the years went by he watched his children grow, his son Lorn was the first to leave the nest heading to the Red Keep where he would become the guard of the young Prince Rhaeger.

 It was from Lorn that he heard the murmers that the king was beginning to show hints of the madness, a madness his family had been witness to down through the centuries.

He knew not what to do except what his family had always done, protect the little dragons from the madness of the older ones.

He sent for his friend Arthur Dayne, and together the two made plans.. When Dayne returned to the capitol it was with young Aella in tow, she took her place by her brothers side her golden helmet firmly on her head hiding her face from the world.

When Rhaeger first saw her he laughed "Arent you a little small to be a bodyguard?"

Aella bristled "I am not small, I'm taller then most men." She spoke truly her stature made her tower over the normal sized men of Westeros... Rhaeger smiled at the girl "Well then I am glad to have such a giant guarding my life... Tell me is your sword as sharp as your tongue?"

Under her helmet she smirked "Sharper."

On the training grounds Lorn watched with a smile as his sister brought the Prince to his knees with ease.. Beside him stood Arthur Dayne

"She'll be good for him I think, she can keep him humble while you and I protect his siblings."

Lorn nodded "But who's going to keep her humble?"

They both laughed but as they watched the two new friends fight in the back of their minds they wandered what did the future hold for the house they had sworn to protect?

_________________________________________________For a time it seemed things would not be to bad, oh Aegon was growing more and more insane but Rhaeger was a good man. He would make a good king, he was married off to Elia Martell Princess of Dorne, it was just before this wedding that Aella first met the Red Viper.

She was mere steps behind Rhaeger as always, he greeted his guests at the dock and she watched. Her brother had remained at the castle with the Queen and Prince Viserys, as always her job was to watch the back of Rhaeger.

She wasnt paying much attention to what was being said, she knew Rhaeger well enough to know what he would say..

She scanned each of the guests, recently the former Prince of Dorn had died leaving his eldest son prince Doran in his place. He was a kind looking man, kindness would more then likely get him nowhere, but still it was nice to see a kind person when you lived in the Red Keep.

Next was the woman of the hour Princess Elia, Aella smiled slightly the girl would do well, based on the way she and Rhaeger were staring at each other they were half in love already. But she looked a little frail compared to the woman in Tygros, which she supposed was to be expected few women were a strong as the women of her house.

When her eyes moved to the other prince of Dorn she almost gasped because his eyes were already on her, he grinned and spoke up interrupting whatever his brother was saying "Who is your companion?"

Rhaeger looked back and smiled, people rarely mentioned Aella but when they did he was more then happy to gloat on her. "This is Lady Aella of House Caspian, my guard and companion. She has saved my life more times in these past two years then I can count."

Aella smiled not managing to control the words she said "Well if you were not reckless my prince I wouldnt need to save you."

Rhaeger gave his best friend a fond look before turning back to his guests leading them forward. But as they turned Prince Oberyn winked at the helmet covered woman, wondering if it was true that the females of the family didn't remove their helmets until marriage.

Aella was glad she did not see the man again until the night of the wedding, it was no secret that her house and his did not get along well to begin with. But her house was well known for being discreet, for beings lovers of only one person all their days if possible. It was the way their forebearer had prefered it and it was the way most had lived.

This Prince of Dorne was already known to have a reputation with the women of Westeros and not a good one in Aellas opinion. She watched from her position on the steps of the Iron throne as the festivities occured, only her family was allowed to sit here without fear of anger from Aegon. Crazy as the man was he still remembered a time where Ellrias had guarded him with his life, and so Ellrias' children were safe from his wrath for now...

"Is it true the women of Tygros do not remove their helmets until marriage?" Aella almost groaned at the sound of the Dornish princes voice... What exactly was he expecting from her?

"It is true your highness."

Oberyn smirked he could tell he irked the girl, her face was hidden but her body and voice said it all. She wasnt used to being noticed and did not like that he had seen her.

"When was the last time you removed it?"

Aella looked up in annoyance "Why are you so interested? I'm certainly not going to remove it for you."

He raised his hands in a symbol of surrender "I'll make you a deal, you tell me when you last took that helmet off and I'll leave you alone.. How does that sound my..."

"An hour ago." She interrupted him in annoyance, but he tutted and shook his head

"I mean in public."

Her head turned observing a group of young girls who would soon be sent to bed before the true festivities began, they looked about nine or ten years of age. Aella pointed "I wasnt much older then them, it was after I got my moonblood."

She said the last part in hopes of making him uncomfortable but she should have known better he had been studying to be a maester after all.. He just laughed before growing serious "What color are your eyes?"

She shook her head "Your promised to leave me alone your highness, and as bad as most of the things I hear of you are they say a Prince of Dorne keeps his word."

Oberyn smiled before bowing and grabbing her glove covered hand which he brought to his lips "Then I bid you goodnight my lady."

Aella would not soon forget her meeting with the Prince of Dorne, for he had noticed her even when she was invisible. She would not see him again until another King sat on the throne they had talked in front of that night.

_________________________________________________

Two years later

"Rhaeger, dont be a fool!!" Aella chased after Rhaeger as he walked quickly to the stables, for once he ignored his friend.

"Your are throwing your life away for some Northern wolf who is not half the woman your wife is!"

This made Rhaeger stop and turned to his friend a fire blazing in his purple eyes "Do not speak of what you do not know."

Aella snorted but considered her next words carefully "Tell me true. Do you love this girl? Or is she simply the means to fulfill this foolish prophecy you believe in so much?"

Rhaeger had lied to Aella more times in the last few months then he had wished to, so this time he spoke truth "I care for her... But the ways of my house are not the ways of yours Aella, your house is loyal and loyalty gets them far... But my house does what it takes to survive, and the dragon must have three heads."

Aella shook her head and reached out grasping his shoulder "Our house is not the same but my house has long kept yours from foolishness, listen to me now my friend. Return to your wife and your children, they are your strength not this prophecy you believe in so."

Rhaeger smiled sadly "Your family does not worship the gods I do my friend, we do not believe the same things.. And while I respect your beliefs, I ask you do the same."

She looked down in pain but Rhaeger reached out lifting her head back up "Go back to the Red Keep, protect my family... As soon as the thrid dragon is born I will return.. I promise Aella."

Aella watches as her best friend mounted his horse and she shouted one last thing to him "My place beside you, my blood for yours, till the Iron throne falls or dragons burn the world!"

_________________________________________________

Aella knew her Princes decision's would have terrible affects, for Starks much like Caspians took nothing lying down... As she moved through the Red Keep she stopped when she heard screams. Heading in the direction they came from she found young Jaime Lannister guarding the door to the throne room with tears in his eyes.

She placed a hand on the boys shoulder at eighteen she was barely two years his senior but she had been a guard since she was fourteen so she had experience.

"Never let him see he gets to you Lannister, thats how he breaks you."

Jaimie looked at the older girl "How do you do it?"

She smiled sadly knowing he couldnt see the look on her face "I have the blessing of being the daughter of the one person he still trusts, and a helmet to cover my disgust. Keep your head up until we no longer have to deal with this monster that plays at being king."

Jaimies eyes widened "Those are dangerous words Lady Caspian."

"Those are dangerous times Ser Lannister, one should choose his words as carefully as he chooses his friends... I hope that you will choose the right ones."

She left him to ponder her words in his mind while she went to the nursery. She sent the maids from the room and removed her helmet while gathering the princess Rhaella in her arms.

 She looked in the mirror for a moment, her skin was olive colored combined with hair so brown it was almost black and dark brown eyes. Her mother and father often said their daughter was the most beautiful woman in Westeros. Aella was not sure she believed them, after all her parents were rather biased.

She moved to the balcony and stared out over Kings Landing, Rhaella asleep in her arms and Aegon sleeping in his small bed. Tomorrow she would break the news to Elia, and send word to her father... Tomorrow..... But for now she would soak in the peace of the moment... She was almost positive it was the calm that could only come before a storm.

Aella heard someone enter she looked back to find her two brothers Lore and Faramir, she didn't bother recovering her face the men of her house could see.

She observed her siblings her older brother strong and proud, her younger one barely out of the nursery and yet brave enough to face down a man twice his size.

"Brothers.... It is about to begin."

_________________________________________________

Authors note: Love it? Hate it? Let me know!

Vote, Comment, Follow, Share Some Love!

Disclaimer:I own nothing except my oc's

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.4K 392 20
A girl who was hidden from her true house, culture, and family for her own safety. Naomi, a half Targaryen and Reid girl who was born in Dorne. Daug...
493K 17.9K 48
Cregan Stark/OC - NOT self insert SMUT teehee-characters are aged up and any smut that happens is with them of age Jacaera Velaryon, twin to Jacaer...
18.2K 578 15
𝘖𝘯𝘦 𝘴𝘰𝘶𝘭 𝘣𝘦𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘵𝘸𝘰. 𝘚𝘪𝘭𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘝𝘪𝘰𝘭𝘦𝘵 𝘥𝘳𝘢𝘨𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘳𝘶𝘭𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘰𝘳 𝘣𝘶𝘳𝘯 𝘢𝘭𝘭. 𝘋𝘳𝘢𝘨𝘰𝘯𝘴...
79.4K 3.3K 70
Jason Lannister is the youngest son of Tywin Lannister, born from his second wife who only few know of who she truly is. Jason is not one of those pe...