The Song of Fractured Light (...

By Emraldknight

Naoki Hoshino is a nobody. He's never been particularly gifted and for the most part, his life has been prett... More

Bio
Prologue - Seizing The Ring
Chapter 2 - Everyday Fantasy
Chapter 3 - Galeophobia
Chapter 4 - Tokyo Smoke
Chapter 5 - The Hero Within
Chapter 6 - What I'm Becoming
Chapter 7 - My New Normal
Chapter 8 - Burn It Down
Chapter 9 - A Messy Afternoon Part 1
Chapter 10 - A Messy Afternoon Part 2

Chapter 1 - As Two Journeys Begin

209 7 0
By Emraldknight

As I walked alongside Sumire onto the school grounds of Yuigaoka, my eyes began to wander around. A couple years ago, the school that was here before closed down, however rather than let it end up demolished, it's been refurbished and starting this year is a new school. There's the general curriculum that me and Sumire are in, and the music program which is apparently the big focus of the school. I like music and all, but I have no actual aptitude for the stuff, so even if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to get into it.

I feel like part of the reason Sumire ended up deciding on this school is because it's not too far from her home. Not that my reason is any better, I just want to be able to support her a little.

"So this is it, huh? It looks like a pretty nice place." I said

"It does." Sumire responded

I stretched out my body, trying to get the last of the sleep from my body, until I felt a pain in my stomach that made me flinch back to my normal position.

"You okay?" Sumire asked, concerned

"Yeah, just remind me to not stretch so far." I said

Sumire sighed and said "I understand why you did what you did, but don't be so reckless next time. I was seriously scared for you."

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Now can we just focus on the fact that today we're actually starting highschool?" I said. I guess she's still a little mad at me for scaring her like that.

As we walked, I ended up bumping into an incredibly tall man and fell down, the man not even budging. I'm slightly above average when it comes to height, and he seems to be at least a couple inches taller than me.

The man looked at me and kneeled to help me up "I'm sorry about that. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." I said as I got up

The man looked at me for a moment and said "You're Naoki Hoshino, right?"

"That's right." I responded

"Well then, I'm your homeroom teacher, Seto Nagai."

"Then it's good to meet you Mr. Nagai." I said

"And you too. Now I'd be glad to get to know one of my students, but I have a few things to confirm before class begins so I better get going. I'll see you in class." Mr. Nagai said before walking away

"Alright..." I said. He didn't seem like a bad person, but with the way the man is built, I'm surprised he is a teacher of all things.

"I'm surprised he knew who you were." Sumire said

"I'm guessing that he read my file or something." I said

The two of us headed into the building and split up as we reached our classrooms, which were right beside each other before heading our separate ways. As I expected, I didn't recognize anybody in my class, and so I silently took a seat and waited for class to begin.

—----------------------------------

When the lunch bell rang, rather than go to get something to eat, I ended up deciding to meander around the school. I figured that it was a good way to spend the break, as besides the way to my classroom, I don't really know what's going on here. Outside the building are various clubs trying to recruit people to join them, and one girl with a sign calling out to people to try and become idols with her. Good luck to her I guess, more so since judging by her uniform she's in the general curriculum like me and Sumire. Actually I wouldn't be too surprised if she was in Sumire's class since there's only a couple of classes total due to the school just opening up.

After spending a while wandering inside the building, I ended up deciding to head outside and see what is outside. At least that was the plan until I started to get a bit tired due to the fact I'm still recovering from my injury. I ended up wandering to a planter and sitting on its brick walls.

"I'll take a short break and get back to it." I said to myself

From what the doctor said, it's gonna take something like a good eight months before I'm at 100% physically. But hey, I don't know how much I'll need to worry about that inhibiting me while I wear the ring, I even feel a little bit better when I'm wearing it.

"Excuse me."

I looked up and saw a familiar looking girl with black hair in a ponytail with brown eyes was the person talking to me. Apparently she's in the music program too.

"Yeah?" I responded

"Are you the boy who helped me last week?" she said

"Wait, are you saying you're the girl I-" I managed to get out, surprised that the girl I saved was a classmate of mine

"So it is you. In that case, I want to say thank you for saving me. I don't know what would have happened if you hadn't came and helped" she said

I tried to shrug it off, but I still was blown away that I got the chance to meet her here. After all, due to passing out I only saw her briefly. "I couldn't have just ignored what I saw, that's all"

"Still, you saved me, even though you got hurt in the process" she said before pensively asking "How are you doing? After what happened..."

I tried to give her a reassuring smile as one of my hands reached down towards where the injury she was concerned about "All things considered, I'm not doing bad. I mean I'm not gonna be running a marathon anytime soon, but to be fair I wasn't planning to anyways."

"I see." she said "I don't think I've introduced myself yet. I'm Ren Hazuki, I'm the student council president."

"I'm Naoki Hoshino." I said "It's nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you too, Hoshino." Hazuki said

As I was about to speak, the bell rang, signaling that classes were beginning again.

"Ah crap. In any case, it's been nice talking to you Hazuki, but we should probably be getting back." I said

"Of course, but Hoshino, if you ever need help with something, feel free to talk to me. I'd love to pay you back." Hazuki said

"I'll keep it in mind." I responded before I started the walk back to class. I can continue exploring the school some other time, but at the moment, my mind was filled with the comforting fact that I really managed to help somebody, something that meeting Hazuki made all the more clear.

—-----------------------------------

After school was finished for the day, I headed to Sumire's classroom to talk to her a bit. However, by the time I got there, I was told by one of her classmates that she had already left.

"I'll figure out something else to do." I said to myself as I left the classroom and headed for an exit to the school. I headed to a secluded area at the side of the school I had found in my earlier wandering and pulled out the ring. The way it felt to fly through the sky last night was amazing, and I want to do it again. Plus, the more I use this thing, the more I'll hopefully figure out how it works. "Welp, here I go again..."

I slipped the ring onto my finger, mentally preparing myself for the overwhelming heat pain from last time, and sure enough, as the ring reached the base of my finger, I felt myself become enveloped in heat, and while I felt that same pain, it didn't seem quite as bad as last time.

<Willpower>

As I looked down, I saw that I was back in that green outfit again. Well I'm certainly not complaining, green and black is a combination I can get behind, and I'm honestly good with whatever when I can move like I do here. Now that I kind of understand what I'm doing, I don't need the same running jump to get into the air, and I could effortlessly start to fly up, but that doesn't stop me from instead jumping directly up, my muscles tensing up in excitement before I pushed off, ready to let out their power.

Now that it's light out while I fly, as I weave between skyscrapers, I can see how the people down below all seem so small from up here, and it seems like I'm drawing some attention this time, with people looking up towards me. I dunno if it's a good idea for them to know about me, but I guess it's too late for that. And hey, maybe once I learn how to really use this thing I can help people, like how I ended up helping Hazuki.

As I continued flying around, honestly blown away by the fact I'm able to do this, I saw flashing blue and red lights, and as I flew closer, I saw several cop cars chasing after a van. I don't really know the specifics of what's going on, but now's about as good of a time as any to try and find out what I can do.

I landed on top of the van and as I got on one knee to try and stabilize myself, I raised a fist. I don't feel too much stronger, and I kind of wish I had something I could use to punch a hole into the roof, but I guess I can test my strength. And as I slammed my fist into the roof, my fist was encased in a larger fist that would've looked like it was made of a green glass if not for it seeming to keep a stable form. I made a surprisingly deep dent in the roof of the car with just that first punch

"There's somebody on the roof!" I heard a voice inside the car say

"Then put some holes in them you idiot!" Another voice responded

"Wait, shit I didn't think about the fact these guys might have guns!"

<Fear>

Not even a moment later, there were a couple loud bangs, followed by a soft hit to my chest, followed by the sizzling sound of metal melting. I guess I'm bulletproof now. However, in my panic it looks like whatever was covering my fist disappeared.

"Go left!" the first voice said

"I don't need your back seat driving idiot!" the second voice responded

I looked up and saw that the next left had a crosswalk, which was at the moment filled with people crossing. Alright, think Naoki, what the hell can you do here? I might be able to do something if I could recreate that green fist, but I have no clue how I did that. Those people are going to be terrified when suddenly there's a van speeding towards them, I need to help them...

<Compassion>

As the ring changed my outfit again, I felt a calmness come over me, and an idea started to come to me. The first time I used the ring, the yellow light blasted away my attacker and pushed him back. If I could figure out how to do that with more power, I might be able to blow out their tires and stop them. But since I don't know how to replicate that, I need to focus.

I flew off the van onto their left side. Before I stop them completely, I need to hinder them from going left, so I'll blow out that tire first. Last time I was lunging my hand forward, and the light came out of the ring, and so I pulled my hand back before punching the air, picturing in my mind a thin blast of light. And unlike the thin blast I was imagining, or the area filling blast from my first time using the ring, from the ring sprang out a blast of indigo light the size of the hubcap into the tire. This destroyed not only the tire, but also the wheel hub it was attached to, the car shaking slightly as it dropped slightly from the loss of support. Alright, I think I can do this, next up is the front wheel on the other side.

I moved to the other side, seeing the eyes of the driver being wide open in shock at somebody literally flying in front of him, and I can't really blame him.

As I rounded the corner, I tried to blast the back right wheel, followed by a shot to the front right, and like I hoped, I found out that I don't need to thrust my fist forward or anything like that, as I hit both wheels, and the car, lacking all support from most of its tires, dropped, scraping against the ground until it reached its eventual stop.

I landed in front of the driver's side door, planning to hold them there until the cops could get here. As the driver tried to get out, I pointed the ring at him and tried to order him to stop. "Kor nak ne ti!"

"What?" the driver said

I'm asking the same thing, I was trying to tell him to stay where he is, but it ended up being said in whatever language that is. Whatever, I can figure this out later. I sighed then pointed the ring at him again. Please don't make me hurt you... He stood in place, but his buddy pushed him out of the way and tried to shoot me with the same pistol as earlier, and just like the last time, alongside the feeling of them reaching me, they didn't piece my body. I guess I can respect the man's desire to help his accomplice.

"Stop you idiot, look at what he did to the wheels!" the driver said

I really did it. I caught the criminals, whatever they were doing that left the cops chasing them.

<Hope>

As I was filled with a sense of comfort, I felt in my heart a strong belief in the fact that someday I'll master this thing, and all will be well. Soon enough, a cop car came to a stop nearby, and as several officers came out, I took it as my cue to leave. As I began to fly away, one of the officers pointed his weapon at me, and ordered I stay where I am, but I'll leave dealing with these schmucks to the police, and flew away.

As I landed on a nearby roof and took a deep breath. I'll learn finer control of this thing later, but for the moment, while I figure out where I can learn how, I should probably take it off, and live my normal life for the moment.

—----------------------------------------------------

That evening, as I sat in the living room with Kazushi, "So how was your first day?" he asked "I mean was there anything of note?"

"Well for one I ran into the girl who I got stabbed for the other day." I said "She ended up thanking me for the help."

"I'm glad to hear that, but just don't start playing hero too often. I don't know if I could handle the near heart attack I had last time." Kazushi said

"I'll try to keep it to a minimum." I said. Well, I will without the ring on at the very least.

"Alright, I just worry about you know." Kazushi said. While I do wish he didn't have his tendency to try and be protective of me, I do get why. When our parents ran out on us seven years ago, Kazushi quit college to focus on supporting himself and his eight year old little brother. Because of that he's stuck in a job he admits he hates so he can take care of the only family he has left. I feel both incredibly grateful and guilty towards him, and only spite towards our parents for leaving us for whatever reason.

Kazushi turned the tv to the news, and as it went on, it showed footage of my little escapade from earlier. "This unknown metahuman not only stopped armed robbers as they attempted to evade police after robbing a jewelers, but then proceeded to fly away as suddenly as he appeared." the news anchor said

"From what has been seen of the so far, their outfit and abilities seemed similar to the hero and member of the Justice League, the Green Lantern." their partner said "The glaringly obvious difference was the way they seemed to change color during the situation."

I guess that didn't click with me due to never getting a full look at the suit. But maybe I can see if footage of the Green Lantern online can give me an idea of what I can do with this thing.

"I mean it'll be nice to have somebody around to clean up some of the streets, and with abilities like that, if more metas start appearing in Tokyo, it'll be nice to have somebody like that around. But the sudden appearance of a vigilante may make things all the more hectic..." Kazushi said

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"I'm just worried that with somebody like this appearing, there might be more dangerous criminals showing up in response." Kazushi explained. I guess that makes sense, after all, there are gonna be criminals that could try to find more power so they can get away with stuff and be able to stand up to me.

"In other news, after the breakout at Fuchu Prison several days ago, multiple inmates escaped, including the recently arsonist Kaen Kimura, who had only been sent there one month ago. The Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department has issued a statement that they are using their full power to locate and take the dangerous individual back into custody." The news anchor said

Welp, I should probably fully figure this thing out before I try hunting criminals, but if I can, I want to try and help if possible with this.

"I wonder what Sumire's thoughts about this are..." I muttered to myself as I pulled out my phone and called her.

After a moment, I heard a click followed by Sumire saying "Yeah Naoki?"

"Hey, I was just wondering what your thoughts on this glowing man who the news is talking about stopping robbers. That and what you were up to after class of course." I said

Sumire sighed in frustration and said "They're more connected than you'd think. I was downtown trying to catch a scout's attention, and I finally did get one to start heading my way. However, as he was walking over to me, the glowing man flew overhead and caught the scouts attention long enough for him to get distracted and hand his business card to somebody else."

"That sucks! Sorry about that." I said, making a mental note to never let Sumire find out that it was me, the same way I haven't told her that my ringtone for her is when she sang a song about isopods from her time as a child actor.

"It's fine." Sumire grumbled "But besides that, if he's going to keep stopping crimes, then it's good to know he's here."

"I definitely agree. The news was comparing him to the Green Lantern, so I'm thinking that I might check out some footage of him online to see if there's anything we can expect to see of the guy anytime soon." I said

"It looks like he really caught your interest, hasn't he?" Sumire said

"You know it. I think he's the one that hit my attacker with that yellow light and saved my life, I gotta cheer somebody like that on." I said

"I hope you're planning to cheer me on too." Sumire said

"Last time I checked I've been doing it for years." I said

"Thanks Naoki, now I need to get going, dinner is ready."

"Alright, see you tomorrow." I said before Sumire hung up the phone.

After hanging up the phone, I pulled my headphones out of my pocket and began to search online for footage of the Green Lantern, and as I saw footage I was blown away. Flight, energy blasts, and the ability to make objects out of light, I think I can do all of these, and if I can learn how to use the ring, I can do it too.

—---------------------------------------------

Unlike yesterday, after classes today I was able to meet up with Sumire. She headed to school ahead of me today, and now that I've gotten the chance to spend some time with her today, I can tell she is not in a good mood and isn't really talking much. While I know that this is probably just her frustration about not being scouted building up, I feel guilty about the way my actions indirectly affected her yesterday. She was finally going to get her chance, and then it was taken away from her just as quickly.

As I followed her through the halls, trying to get her to talk to me about it rather than bottle it up, I said "Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm telling you I'm fine Naoki." Sumire said coldly

I sighed and said "Fine, but when you finally want to talk to me, call me."

I stopped following her as we reached an outer hallway and as she started to walk ahead of me, I saw her approached by a girl with long auburn hair

"Um..." the girl said, trying to get Sumire's attention

"Yes?" Sumire responded

"You're the Sumire Heanna that's in our class, right? I know this is sudden, but do you have any interest in school idols?" the girls asked "Maybe you could-"

"Just who do you think I am?!" Sumire snapped, interrupting the girl.

As the girl flinched back in surprise and Sumire walked away, I couldn't help but facepalm. Real polite there, Sumire.

"I'm sorry..." a girl with curled brown hair said to the girl with auburn hair

"Oh no worries!" the auburn haired girl said

"If anybody should be apologizing here, it should be me for the way Sumire just responded. Let's just say she can get a bit too focused on her ambitions." I said as I walked towards them

"You know her?" the auburn haired girl said

"I have for a long time now. And it looks like I shouldn't have given up on finding out what was upsetting her today when I did." I said

"It's fine." the auburn haired girl said "I'm Kanon Shibuya, it's nice to meet you."

"Likewise. And I'm Naoki Hoshino." I said

"I'm Keke Tang." the brown haired girl said

"Ah, I remember seeing you with that sign yesterday." I said

The girls saw something over my shoulder and ducked behind the railings. I turned to see what it could be and all I saw was Hazuki.

"Hey there" I said, raising my hand to greet her.

"Hello Hoshino." Hazuki greeted with a smile as she continued walking.

"How do you know Hazuki?" Shibuya asked

"Bit of a long story." I said, not really feeling it necessary to tell them about why she knows me.

"She's keeping an eye on us." Tang explained

"How come?" I asked

"She doesn't approve of us starting a school idol group." Tang said. I have zero idea why she would disapprove, but other than that she seems like a good enough person. I mean I imagine if these girls make their case they'll be able to convince her eventually. Although if Hazuki ends up not budging I'll try to help out. I mean I'll at least want to know her reasoning.

"So in any case, I take it you're going to join her in being idols, eh Shibuya?" I said

"No way, I can't! I'm just helping her find some people who will." Shibuya insisted "There are so many people who like music, so I thought we could figure it out. But finding idols may be rough."

"I see. Well for obvious reasons it'd be a bit hard for me to help out there, but if you ever need anything from me don't be afraid to ask. Still, I'm sure you girls will be able to find some more members soon, I mean there's gotta be people whose love of music will lead them to joining you. And alsoTang, be sure to tell me when you have your first performance so I can be there to cheer you on. My class is just next door." I said

"You'll really cheer me on? Then of course I'll make sure you know!" Tang said

"Alright, then I'm rooting for you girls." I said "Now I have some things I need to work on myself, but don't be afraid to tell me what's up sometimes."

As I turned away and tried to leave, I decided that so Sumire and girls like those two will be able to strive towards their goals without having to worry about people putting them at risk. I'm gonna master this ring, and bring some light to Tokyo.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22K 905 13
"My ability is called Soul Mate. I can create a bond between myself and some else. Once the bond is established, I can go back in time to meet my sou...
80.6K 3.3K 23
in a world where a person truly in love can see an invisible red string that connects those who are destined to meet and eventually fall in love, in...
130K 3.4K 22
"Why in Mother Nature's sweet sweet name am I at a circus?" I thought. "Oh right. I'm gonna be training with a clown today." I said out loud dejected...
720 26 10
*Reupload* (Y/n) is a young boy who dreams to be a hero one day. To save lives and make people happy. He wants to be a great hero like his older sist...