The Flames of Elisira

By JessSolanki

All her life seventeen year old Seraphina has lived in the village of Copperfin in Elisira, but she wants mor... More

Chapter 1 - Something Fishy
Chapter 2 - Dunderton
Chapter 3 - There is always light
Chapter 4 - A Whole New World
Chapter 5 - Elisira's Academy of the Meanest
Chapter 6 - A Friendship Forged
Chapter 7 - The Fire in Her
Chapter 08 - The Hollow
Chapter 9 - We Don't Judge......Or Maybe We Do
Chapter 10: So We're Famous Now?
Chapter 11 - The Meeting
Chapter 12: A Ray of Hope
Chapter 13: The Fight
Chapter 15: A Scar-ry Tale
Chapter 16: The Clueless Friend
Chapter 17- Birthday Wishes
Chapter 18 - New Arrival
Chapter 19- Moon and Water

Chapter 14: A Failed Attempt at Jealousy

30 4 28
By JessSolanki

All three of them stared at each other in shock, before two out of the three girls burst into fits of laughter, the argument long forgotten. Thyra's upper lip twitched, which Seraphina had come to realize, was her version of a smile.

Hyacinth was the first one to recover. ''We cannot talk now. We need to get to combat class.'' She grabbed each of their hands and pulled them around the corner stairs leading to the courtyard.

''Yes, about that,'' Seraphina began and glanced at Thyra, ''your crush is not teaching the class today, he has been sent out by Ms. Greeves on a mission.''

''Again?! Why does she keep on- wait, what did you just say?'' Thyra's head whipped around to face the other girl, her long curls bouncing in the process.

Seraphina simply shrugged at her and smirked. ''It is what it is.''

''Why, you!'' Thyra screamed as she tried to hit Seraphina but Hyacinth's presence in the middle made it difficult for her.

''Sorry, but I had too,'' Seraphina chuckled.

''Tell me why we thought it was a good idea to come up and apologize?''

Before Hyacinth could reply, Seraphina answered. ''If it's any consolation, I was coming to do the same.''

''Really?'' both the girls looked equally surprised.

''Hmm, I wouldn't have thought,'' Hyacinth mused.

''Believe it or not, it's the truth,'' Seraphina said. ''That, and there's something else too,'' she whispered.

''A secret?'' Thyra asked as her eyes sparkled with interest.

''I believe it is.''

''Then we shall discuss it later,'' Hyacinth announced. ''We're almost there.''

''Ugh, so bossy,'' Thyra rolled her eyes.

''Tell me about it,'' Seraphina agreed.

''So now you're friends again?'' Hyacinth's eyebrow quirked and she looked between the two girls.

''Pretty much,'' Thyra said.

''I don't think we ever stopped being friends.'' Seraphina added. ''Although, I am truly sorry for everything.''

''I'm sorry too,'' Thyra said softly, ''I should not have said all those things about your mother.''

The two girls smiled at each other and reconciled, after which they all walked up to where the rest of the students were gathered. Shortly after their arrival, Ms. Greeves showed up, surprising everyone except Seraphina, and the class began.

''Of all the people here at the academy, I did not expect the principal to teach us how to fight,'' Thyra grumbled as she paired up with Hyacinth this time.

''Why, do you think she cannot fight?'' Seraphina asked as she attempted to block Caspian's attacks.

''Well, you know,'' the green eyed girl shrugged.

''Oh yes, I do,'' Seraphina smirked before she was tackled. She fell to the rough ground with a thud followed by Caspian tripping on his feet and falling on top of her. ''Ooof,'' she groaned in pain as she bore the brunt of it all.

''I am so sorry, Seraphina,'' Caspian said, his hot breath fanning her face. ''I thought you would stop me or at least get out of the way.''

He tried to push himself up but his hands slipped and his face landed smack onto Seraphina's right shoulder as she craned her neck away from it.

''Oh gods, that hurt,'' she groaned out and tried to push the boy off her but he was heavier than he looked. ''Seriously, Caspian,'' she grunted, ''get off me.''

''I'm trying,'' he replied. He was feeling uncomfortable too, not liking how close he was to her and what Atlas would think of it.

Suddenly the weight was lifted off her and the poor boy was thrown across the training compound unceremoniously.

''Caspian, are you okay?!'' she shot up and stared at him with wide eyes. She hissed from the pain in her shoulder and tried to hide her pain. The boy however, was lying several feet away from her clutching his elbows and groaning in pain.

As she tried to stand up she felt pain shoot through the back of her head from when she had fallen. She grunted as she clutched her shoulder with one hand and the back of her head with another.

''Sera!"'

Hyacinth ran up to her, followed by Thyra. They both helped her up and she came face to face with a certain midnight blue eyed boy who was glowering at his friend.

''Are completely out of you mind?!'' she yelled at him, ignoring the pain. She was far too mad to be worried about that right now. ''Why would you throw him like that?!"

''He was on top of you,'' Atlas replied. His voice was gruff and it sounded like he was trying to keep his anger in check. Hyacinth and Thyra noticed this immediately and both exchanged concerned looks.

''That doesn't mean you throw him across the field like that!'' she continued yelling and ran up to where Caspian lay. ''Gods, are you hurt?''

''Physically, no,'' he groaned, ''but my ego, yes.''

''Here, let me help you up, '' she put an arm around his shoulder and helped him stand up. Ms. Greeves was nowhere to be seen, then again the training ground was vast, so she decided to take him to the infirmary.

''Thank you Seraphina,'' he said, ''but Atlas here, will take me,'' he stopped her when he realized where they were headed. ''Won't you, bud?'' he pressed.

''Of course, bud,'' Atlas hissed. He pulled his friends' free hand and gently pushed Seraphina's hand down. ''Let's get you treated, shall we?'' he smiled wickedly at Caspian.

A smile which made Seraphina shiver in delight, or was it because he touched her hand? She mentally screamed at herself. What was wrong with her, she was supposed to mad at him?!

She crossed her arms across her chest and looked away from him. She was still miffed at Atlas for his behavior, but she also couldn't take her eyes off him, especially when he looked like that. All gruff and rough with the sleeves of his black tunic rolled up to his elbows. As he helped Caspian walk, she could see the muscles in his arms flex, and no matter how hard she tried, she could not look away.

It wasn't until she heard someone clear their throat next to her did she finally break her gaze away from his retreating back.

''Ahem,'' Ms. Greeves coughed again, ''Seraphina? Seraphina?'' she called when the girl didn't respond.

''Yes?'' she squeaked, ''um, ahem, yes?'' she said again, this time clearly.

''It's starting to get dark. I'm afraid we have to cut the class short. The others are headed to the grand hall, you all should too,'' she said and left the three girls standing behind. ''Come along now, don't be late, else you'll be drenched.''

''You think it will rain?'' Seraphina asked her friends.

''I don't think so, maybe they are just passing clouds,'' Hyacinth replied looking up at the sky.

''You two are contradicting a mage's prediction, are you daft?'' Thyra looked between the two girls. ''Let's go before we get caught in the rain.''

The three girls jogged up to the courtyard and quickly found their table in the hall. Just as they sat, the rain started to pour and the whole hall became darker. Ms. Greeves, who was standing at the front swished her fingers, and in a matter of seconds the hall was illuminated with bright flames from the torches mounted on the walls.

''So, passing clouds?'' Thyra cocked an eyebrow at Hyacinth who simply rolled her eyes at the girl and ignored her.

''So, how was history?'' Seraphina asked.

''Ah good, you've just reminded me. We've got homework, an essay on the rise and fall of the dark elves. Three pages. Professor Walter wants it on his desk before the end of the day tomorrow.''

''Frig,'' she cursed. ''I skip class for one day and we have a three-page essay due tomorrow?''

''We'll do it together tonight. So we better finish dinner early and get to it.''

''Yes we better. I also have a botany project,'' Hyacinth added.

''Mhmm, mhmm,'' Seraphina nodded. ''Then we need to talk.''

As soon as they were done, all three of them rushed to their dorm room. Since almost everyone was still dining, the corridors were empty and so was the lift. This time Seraphina was the one pulling the ropes to get to the top while Hyacinth held her books.

''Gods, this is an intense exercise,'' she huffed as she flexed her fingers.

''It is indeed,'' Thyra agreed, ''and you should be doing it more often, it will help in building your arm muscles. Maybe then you will be able to perform well in combat class and actually stop people from accidentally falling on top of you.''

''Ohh?'' Seraphina raised an inquisitive eyebrow. ''Hyacinth?'' she smirked at the blonde girl. ''Do you smell something burning?''

''I believe I do,'' she smirked back. ''I think it's coming from....uh.....here,'' she lifted one of Thyra's curls and sniffed. ''Definitely here.''

''I'm not jealous!'' Thyra yelled in frustration. ''I'm stating facts, okay? She needs to be good at combat. Or have you forgotten what Ms. Greeves has asked of you?''

''Relax. We were just joking.'' Seraphina nudged her in the ribs. ''Don't worry we won't tell Caspian you have a crush on him.''

''I. DO. NOT!''

''But you do have one on Ryker.''

''I.DO-'' she stopped mid-sentence. ''Every girl does okay!''

After that, both girls decided not to instigate Thyra further, she was way too mad. After they had all changed into their nightgowns, they sat down to finish their homework. It took them over an hour to complete it and by the time Seraphina and Thyra were done with theirs, Hyacinth was already half asleep.

Thyra grabbed one of her extra pillows and threw it at the poor girls' head, startling her wake. ''W-w-what what happened, what happened?''

''Get over here, we need to talk, remember?'' Seraphina told her, trying to hide her chuckle.

After a few more pillow throws and pushes, Hyacinth was finally wide awake. The three girls perched on her bed and Seraphina told them about what she had heard from their bathroom window.

''So you're saying someone is out there targeting the towns and communities?''

''Yes.''

''And this very person was responsible for the previous mission involving Atlas and Ms. Greeves?'' Hyacinth asked as she stifled a yawn.

''Also yes,'' Seraphina nodded. ''It's just-uh- is there something we can do?''

''What do you think we can possibly do?'' Thyra almost yelled in her face. ''It's not our job.''

''But-''

''No Sera, she's right,'' Hyacinth placed a hand on hers and whispered. ''We cannot do anything about it. Let's leave it to the adults and the guardians.''

''Okay.'' Seraphina pursed her lips and nodded, although she was not convinced. Something about these attacks was not sitting right with her. She needed more information and there was only one other person who would give it to her. Someone who was present on the last mission. Someone with hauntingly beautiful midnight blue eyes.

That night as she slept, Seraphina saw a pair of eyes in her dreams, and no, not midnight blue ones, but eyes that were eerily similar to hers. Only they looked much older, wiser and vicious.

It almost seemed like they were peering right into her soul. She tossed around her bed trying to shake off the image of the eyes but she was unable to. As hard as she tried to, she could not shake it off and when she finally did, the haunting image still lingered at the back of her mind.

***

The next morning at breakfast, the girls were alone at the table. Caspian was still in the infirmary but they heard a few students say that he was getting the discharge and will be attending classes as normal.

Seraphina bit into her eggs, her mind still thinking about the conversation she had with her friends last night and the pair of eyes in her dreams. She wondered if the two could be related in any manner but quickly diminished the thought out of her head.

''Are you okay?'' Thyra asked her. ''You've been awfully quiet this morning.''

''I'm fine,'' she nodded hastily. ''Have either of you seen Atlas?''

''Ohh?'' Hyacinth quipped and put her cup of tea down. ''Atlas?''

Thyra's lips curved upwards into a smug smile and she was about to say something snarky but Seraphina's next words stopped her.

''Before you two let your minds wander, I want to speak to him regarding the trip he took with Ms. Greeves and Ryker.''

''You're still on that? Honestly Seraphina, let it go.''

''Yes. Didn't we talk about it last night, Sera?''

''I know, but- um – I just cannot seem to let it go,'' she said as her eyes scanned around the hall looking for Atlas. She thought she almost saw him, but it turned out to be another boy from their Arithmancy class.

''You have to,'' Thyra said.

'''Huh?'' she blinked and faced her friend. ''What?''

''Let it go.''

''Oh that, yes okay.'' She nodded without even sparing her another glance. ''Let's go, we have History of Magic first.''

She was most definitely not going to let it go.

***

The day turned out to be busier than she had anticipated. Even though Atlas and Caspian were present in their classes, Seraphina didn't get the chance to greet them, let alone talk.

Professor Walter divided them into groups of three and had them discuss the various types of magic, their uses and misuses. After which they had to do a presentation in front of the whole class. Of course it was Hyacinth who presented their work.

During Arithmancy with Professor Paxton, he decided to surprise the class with a test which led to series of protests, in the end they had no choice but to do it. By the time Seraphina got out of class, her head was spinning and she felt like she needed to lay down for an hour or two.

''How do you think you fared?'' Hyacinth asked as she rubbed the back of her neck in stress.

''I'd be lucky if I get even two questions right,'' she replied.

''Isn't Arithmancy the best?!'' Thyra chimed in cheerfully.

Both the girls rolled their eyes at her and walked ahead towards the grand hall for lunch.

''My head is spinning so fast. I think I will start with something sweet,'' Seraphina grumbled as she placed her growing pile of books on their table and walked up to the serving line.

Since they had wasted time protesting the test, Professor Paxton had made them stay an extra half hour as punishment, and so there weren't as many people as usual in the hall.

Seraphina spotted some pudding cups and grabbed two of them before anyone else could and made way to her seat. Soon enough, both her friends joined her too and the girls ate their lunch in a comfortable silence.

''What lessons do we have this afternoon?'' Hyacinth asked as soon as they disposed of their plates.

''A double element honing lesson.''

''Oh, wow, that should be exciting.''

''Yes, but Professor Syrana is not here remember?''

''Oh right,'' Hyacinth slapped her forehead. ''I wonder who will take over then.''

The girls then gathered their books, bade goodbye to Thyra and headed to the training grounds.

''Good Afternoon students.'' A middle aged woman with short brown hair greeted them as soon as they joined the rest. ''I'm standing in for Professor Syrana today since she is –uh- away.''

''That's Professor Ramone, she's my Botany teacher,'' Hyacinth whispered to her. Seraphina only nodded in response since she noticed the professor watching them.

''I do not condone students talking without permission in my class,'' she said as she peered at Hyacinth through her thick spectacles.

The poor girl gulped and nodded respectfully. ''Also she's very strict,'' she whispered to Seraphina again.

''Shut up.'' Seraphina hissed through her teeth.

''Very well then,'' the professor crossed her arms behind her back. ''Today we are going to put your abilities to a practical use. As you can see,'' she pointed to her right, ''I have placed four stone pillars here. You are required to form four lines here.'' She stepped in front of one pillar, took five steps forward and stopped.

She then called on everyone to stand in line based on their power in front of each of the pillars. The fire wielders pillar was on the far left, next to that was the earth guardians' line, followed by air summoners and finally the water wielders.

Seraphina wisely chose to stand last in line, since she was the least experienced out of them all. Hyacinth stood second to last in her line while Daphne, stood second in hers. Professor Ramone excused herself and went to speak with one of the mage professors.

Soon enough she returned, with Caspian at her tow, who looked perfectly fine now. ''Okay, class,'' she clapped her hands to garner attention. Professor Zara has kindly allowed us one of her students to help us in our activities today. We are-''

''Yes, but what activity are doing today anyway?'' Daphne spoke up in a bored voice, her fingers twirling around her hair.

''It would be well in your interest never to interrupt me again, Ms. Stokes,'' the professor said. Her glare piercing Daphne until the girl gulped and straightened her back.

''Yes, professor.''

Seraphina and Hyacinth exchanged smirks before quickly looking away from each other.

''All right, as I was saying,'' the professor continued. ''Today's practical class requires you to use your ability to destroy the pillar in front of you. You will each come forward three steps, and on my command, and my command only will you begin. Are we clear?''

A few students murmured their responses. The professor took that as a yes and signaled the first four students from each line to come forward.

''I still don't understand why Caspian is here,'' Seraphina whispered to Hyacinth.

''Me too.'' The girl agreed. ''I guess we'll see.''

The first four performed well. It was the water wielder boy who brought down his pillar first, followed by the air summoner, the fire wielder, then the earth guardian.

''Mr. Stine,'' the professor gestured to Caspian, who nodded and walked up to the first pillar. He then closed his eyes and began waving his hands in circular motions. In a matter of seconds, all four stone pillars were back in their standing positions, as good as new.

''Now we know.'' Hyacinth said as they all watched him in action.

As the lines progressed so did Caspian's work. Some people did more damage than required to the pillars and that scared Seraphina. What if she could not do it? What if the pillar didn't break or fall? What if it didn't budge at all?

Pretty soon there were only three other people in front of her, while there were two in front of Hyacinth. As the person at the front walked up to the pillar, Seraphina got even more nervous. Her palms were sweaty and she had that feeling of being watched again.

This time however, she knew where to look. She whipped her head to the left and there he was, Atlas Van Volkenburg, standing in all is royal glory watching their practice. Their eyes met and Seraphina held his gaze for a few seconds before dropping it.

''Don't have time for this. Need to concentrate.'' She grumbled to herself and fiddled with her fingers.

''You said something?'' the boy in front of her turned to her.

''Nothing at all Jeremiah, focus okay, you're next.'' She said it loud enough for him to hear, and even though she tried hard to stop herself from doing it, she couldn't help but fix her hair and clothes.

It was Hyacinth's turn next and Seraphina watched with bated breath as the blonde girl placed her palms on the ground and called forth the vines and roots which broke out of it like snakes. The vines moved as per her accord and entwined themselves around the pillar. Once she felt they were tight enough, she tugged hard and the pillar came crashing down.

Seraphina clapped in glee as she watched her friend be the first one to complete the task in her lot. Caspian seemed delighted too as he gave her a thumbs up, when he came forward to mend the pillar.

''Did I do good?'' Hyacinth asked Seraphina as soon as she caught up to her.

''You were amazing!'' she said and hugged her friend.

''Thanks,'' Hyacinth hugged her back. ''You're next. Think you'll manage?''

''I have to. I need to prove myself.''

''Go get it then.'' Hyacinth thumped her back and pushed her forward.

As Seraphina walked to the front, the pillar looked bigger than ever. She controlled her breathing and focused on her fire. She closed her eyes and imagined the ball she had created the last time, only this time, she imagined it bigger. She used her memories of Varog as a crutch, anger boiling in her as she felt her skin get hotter by the second.

A series of gasps made her flash her eyes open. She saw a huge ball of fire floating in front of her face. Everyone was shocked, even Professor Ramone looked worried and was one mishap away from asking her to stop.

However, Seraphina felt more confident than ever and with a push of her hands she sent the fireball right at the stone pillar, causing an explosion and reducing it to nothing but ashes. Everyone including herself had to step backwards to save themselves from the flying debris.

Professor Ramone walked up to her and placed a hand on her shoulder. ''What is your name girl?''

''Um, Seraphina Fleming.''

The older woman finally looked at the auburn haired girl properly until it dawned on her. ''Rosalind Flemings' daughter.''

''Y-yes ma'am.''

''I see,'' the professor sighed deeply. ''You're quite powerful young girl. I sincerely hope that you use your abilities well and for the greater good.'' She looked her in the eyes and smiled a sad smile.

What is it with every adult speaking vaguely about things she had no idea of? Seraphina thought to herself as she smiled back at the older woman. By now a lot of questions were running in her mind. 

And so when the lesson finally ended and the girls headed to their final class of the day, Seraphina couldn't help but think that Hyacinth was right.

Maybe her mother really was a fire wielder. It made sense when Ms. Greeves mentioned she knew her. But somehow all the other professors did too, it cannot be a coincidence, it just couldn't.

That night at dinner, Atlas and Caspian finally joined the girls at their table. Seraphina however was distracted by her thoughts and did not even realize it until Thyra spoke up.

''Seraphina,'' she drawled, catching the attention of everyone at the table, mainly because of her unusual tone. Caspian was the most intrigued at the sudden change in Thyra's behavior, but Hyacinth had caught on and shook her head in displeasure.

''Hmm, what?'' the unsuspecting girl looked up at her friend.

''Weren't you looking for Atlas all morning?'' she inclined her head to one side, ''something about wanting to speak with him?'' she then smiled like a cheshire cat.

''Ahh,'' Seraphina nodded and smiled back at her friend. She knew what she was doing. It was revenge. Revenge for her teasing last night.

''You were looking for me?'' Atlas asked, unable to keep himself from grinning like an idiot. He wondered what she wanted from him. Maybe she finally wanted to be friends? Or has she realized who he is to her and vice versa?

''Yes, I was. I wanted to speak to you ab-'' Seraphina began, but was interrupted by the sudden appearance of a girl who walked up to their table and slid into the empty seat next to Atlas.

''Hello there,'' she said flirtatiously and flicked her long brown hair as she eyed the werewolf prince.

''Uhh, hello,'' he replied flatly, clearly not impressed with the interruption. From the corner of his eye he saw Seraphina watching the girl intently. It was almost like she wanted to set her on fire and deep down, that made him happy. Which gave him an idea.

''So, I have been wanting to talk to you ever since you came back,'' she giggled unnecessarily.

Thyra made a vomiting sound and received a kick from under the table, courtesy of Hyacinth. Caspian watched this interaction with interest, specifically Seraphina's reactions.

''Oh,'' Atlas quirked an eyebrow, ''and why is that?'' he leaned forward and whispered in her ear in an attempt to instigate Seraphina's jealousy. The brunette giggled aimlessly again and leaned forward to get closer to him than she already was.

Seraphina was watching this interaction with great curiosity, when a familiar head of curly brown hair caught her eye, right by the arches leading to the courtyard.

''Tim- no.....'' she gasped out as she got up. Did you see that?'' she looked around the table, but her friends all shook their head.

''Sera, what are you talking about?'' Hyacinth craned her neck toward where Seraphina was pointing. Atlas and the girl now forgotten.

''Timothy? Timothy?'' she pushed her chair back and ran towards where she saw the boy disappear.

The four friends at the table exchanged confused glances.

''What in the name of Merlin just happened?'' Caspian asked as he looked back and forth.

''And who in the moon goddess' name, is Timothy?!" Atlas almost yelled and pushed the brunette girl away, creating some much needed space between them.

''I- I don't know,'' Hyacinth replied in defense before either of them swallowed her alive.

''My oh my,'' Thyra chuckled and leaned back on her seat. ''How the tables have turned.'' She smirked at Atlas who looked like he was on the verge of actually flipping tables.

***

There you have it!

I'm sure you have all figured it out by now, but I still need to ask, why is Atlas behaving the way he is towards Seraphina?

Let me know your thoughts on the chapter as usual!

-Jessica.S

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 312 30
"Let them come," he growled to his warriors. "You may try to go against the tide, but in the end, the tide is rising...I am the tide, and I will be y...
74 0 9
after current Gurdian died due to an attack it's up to his children to stop the attacker from taking over the children of the Elements and guardian's...
136K 5.3K 37
She has all the power in the world at her fingertips: fire, water, earth and air. Yet sixteen year old Krista is constantly on the run from people wh...
957 120 45
All her young life Serafina has been protected, insulated, and worshipped as the incarnation of the White Goddess. Kept apart from the world, includi...