Courting Miss Hughes

By Mansi-Arsenault

The future marquess, lord Bradford is too wise to fall for any of his mother's marital schemes. With his icy... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Chapter 2

209 9 2
By Mansi-Arsenault

As he looked across the room Arthur saw about half a dozen heads styled in ribbons and fashionable coiffures. He hated Ryland for dragging him into the evening tea room where he knew his mother would be hosting her guests. But he knew very well Ryland could not be kept from company of charming young ladies. Perhaps he wasn't a good choice to have as a partner in this little battle against his mother. Maybe he should have chosen someone else who was less prone to beauty or female sex in general.

"Oh Arthur!, how wonderful of you to join us." Gleamed his mother. "I was just telling all the young ladies how we shall all attend spring balls before the season starts."

" I do not know about him, lady Bradford, but I shall be delighted to accompany you." Said Ryland

"Oh! of course my dear, with so many pretty ladies we will be in want of dancing partners. You must join us and drag Arthur with you for the same purpose" she said

"By your command, I shall my lady. Even if it requires abducting him to do so." Now Ryland was simply having fun at his expense.

"I am afraid to disappoint you both. But with father being ill I must devote myself to estate management in his place. Besides, he would want someone present at the manor if he needs anything." He tried to reason with them knowing full well it would be to no avail.

"We have more than enough servants for that my dear. And surely you shall be able to spare some nights on the occasion of having good company and enjoying some lively music" said lady Janssen, his conceited aunt.

"Well, we can always hold a ball here if Marquess wouldn't mind. Then Arthur will have no excuse not to be present." He was surely going to murder Ryland for filling his mother's had with such preposterous idea. She was more than capable of formulating such ideas herself, there was no need for his aid.

"Oh! That is an excellent idea. I will speak to marquess when he feeling a little better for sure" said his mother.

"But where would people dance ?" Said Eloise Janssen, his cousin. "I do not believe there is enough space to hold a ball, perhaps only a small tea party."

"I believe there is plenty of room in the great hall. Certainly some furniture can be moved to different rooms to make space for dancing" said her mother, Lady Janssen.

"Perhaps, all of us should go to this hall and see it for ourselves." Inserted one of the blonde Briggsby lady. Eleanor was her name if he recalled.

"And we may have a chance to see rest of the estate as well. I must confess I find your home very charming. What great deal of affection and care you must invest in it." Said the older blonde sister. And so began the round of  meaningless flatteries, Arthur thought.

"Thank you for your kind compliment. I will be delighted to show my estate. Infact, if everyone prefers, we can all tour the estate" his mother looked at Ryland as if she was planning some mischief for which he might be her accomplice. "I can give matrons a tour beginning from the east end. While Arthur and Ryland can take all the ladies towards the west end. In the end we can all meet in the middle. After that we shall decide, to hold a ball or not."

"I believe there are too many ladies here for Arthur and Ryland to give a proper tour" Eloise interjected "I know the estate very well, I can take some of the ladies with me." Poor Eloise was trying to mitigate the situation.

"Excellent idea Eloise" said lady Janssen with pride. "You are the only one here who would know this estate, as a mistress of the house would. After-all you have Bradford blood in you unlike anyone else here." she had used every opportunity to champion Eloise as a match for him ever since she had turned seventeen. Her hints had always been subtle in nature, but with new competition in sight, they were becoming more and more obvious.

His cousin had no interest in marrying him though and regarded him as her elder brother. There was no love lost there, for Arthur too had always adored Eloise as if she was one of his younger sisters. He was relieved to find that Eloise hadn't turned into one those young girls who quickly became infatuated with him upon realizing his standing in society, and kindled ideas of romance in there heads as if he was some prince charming from a novela.

Eloise might give appearance of a proper lady now but beneath that façade there was a wild young girl,who Arthur knew, loved adventure. Many a times during her visits as a girl Arthur had found her engaging is most unlady like activities such as climbing trees or chasing hounds for fun. Many a times he had to discipline her as a father figure. But obviously he kept it as a secret for he didn't want her to get in any trouble. Over the years they had developed this sibling-like relationship where she would tease him for being too stern and calculated whereas he would scold her for being too heedless and nonchalant.

"Very well then, I will take matrons towards the east end" Said his mother standing up. "Arthur and Ryland can direct whoever wishes to join them towards the west end."

"And you can begin wherever you wish Eloise." She said with a warm smile directed towards Eloise before leaving with the two matrons in her tow.

"I shall let you and Ryland depart first with whichever of the ladies who should choose to join your party. And I shall stay behind for whoever wishes to join me ." Eloise said with a sweet smile. Poor girl, Arthur thought. No one here is going to join her, unless Arthur switched sides and opted to go along with her instead of Ryland. But then She would have to witness all the foolish attempts and flatteries being made by these dandizettes. It was bad enough he had to go through this, but he wouldn't subject her to such social torture.

~~~~~
Everyone had left the room after finishing tea. Inspired by Penelope's flattering remark, the marchioness had proposed a tour of the estate for her guests.

She had taken matrons with her and left the ladies to choose between either lord Bradford and Mr. Kenmore or Miss Janssen to act as their guides as they tour the estate.

Given that all the young ladies were here for the single purpose of catching a husband, preferably lord Bradford, they all had chosen to join him and Mr. Kenmore.

She was the only one who had stayed behind and chosen to go with Miss Janssen. Noticing the saddened look in Miss Janssen's eyes she decided she must try and lighten her mood.

"It appears to me Miss Janssen, that I shall have the pleasure of obtaining a solo tour unlike anyone else" she smiled "how lucky I am, that you have chosen to bestow such kindness upon me"

Hearing her partly jesting comment put a smile on Lady Janssen's face. "I shall allow you to be in my good graces, only if you call me Eloise. Miss Janssen seems to formal if we are to be friends."

Katherine gave a dramatic gasp. "Ah! But you see, 'what great care and affection you must invest' in me to commend me to your friendship" Katherine made a mocking mimicry of Penelope's earlier flattery. And with that, they both shared a good laugh. There was something genuine about her nature, unlike everyone else, that put Katherine at ease in her company.

"If I must call you Eloise, then you must call me Katherine or Kate." She said looping her arm through hers.

"As you wish. So, where would you like to go first? Do you have anything particular in mind, that you would like to see?" Asked Eloise.

"Ideally, I would like to see the whole estate. But I am a bit fatigued from my travel today. Maybe be you can show me some parts today and others we save for some other time?" She asked

"Very well. How would you like to see the library?" Eloise asked.

"I would love that, I am an avid reader, when I can afford to be. Back in Yorkshire I used to borrow books from a friend, whose father kept an extensive library. I wonder if I can find some of the same authors here." Said Katherine

"Excellent. Then I think you would like the library upstairs. It is located on the second floor" Eloise said guiding her through set of stairs. "I am not much of a reader myself. I do read books every now and then but I prefer outdoors better, to be honest."

"I love outdoors too. I often like to go on long walks. Sometimes I find company of wild flowers and woods better than people." Katherine replied.

"I couldn't agree more" said Eloise as they entered the library. It was almost as big as the evening tea room. It must house at-least a thousand books Katherine thought. They were loosely arranged according different genres on three large shelves that reached all the way upto the ceilings.

The library had two sofas laid out at adjacent angles, right next to the windows. This arrangement let good amount of light in to allow for leisurely reading. There was also a small desk with writing utensils in the corner and a ladder on small wheels, which could be used to retrieve books from higher shelves.

"I believe I have found my haven for the next few weeks" said Katherine absorbing her surroundings.

"You would be disappointed to know that Earl Bradford rarely visits this library, since, he has plenty of books in his study." Said Eloise with a playful smile. She must have thought Katherine was one the women who was here to entice lord  Bradford.

"I am not at all disappointed. On the contrary, it makes the library even more appealing " said Katherine.

"If I maybe so bold, may I inquire why do you wish to avoid my cousin? All the other ladies here tend to find him perfectly charming." Eloise curiously crossed her arms.

Katherine hesitated for a moment but then decided honesty was the best route. "It isn't your cousin at all. It is my aunt."

"Your aunt? What objection can she have?" Eloise asked intently.

"According to my aunt, a plain girl like me can never win someone as wealthy and sophisticated as lord Bradford . I will only get my hopes crushed in the end, I shan't even attempt to do such a thing. She has instructed me to make myself scarce, especially from his lordship's presence." Katherine seated herself on one of the sofas.

"She said I shall  leave it up-to my cousins to add to our family connections and makes us all proud, for they are much more accomplished women than I." She said avoiding any eye contact for she didn't want to be pitted. She might not have much to her name, but she still had self-respect and dignity, which she refused to loose.

"You don't truly believe her do you?" Said Eloise taking a seat next to her. "If you did, I would think you're a fool."

Katherine was surprised by her candor. "with those beautiful eyes, and those raven like hair and just a tad bit of that smile, I believe you can catch any man you want." Eloise said putting a reassuring hand over hers .

"You are too kind, I believe with flattery like that, I'll fly so high I might just land myself on the moon." Katherine said with a faint smile. "But I don't mind following her instructions at all, its more of a relief. I find this whole businesses of catching a husband very tedious. I'd rather be here, in the company of Byron's poetry or reading one of Austen's or Radcliffe's novels.They are far more interesting, I assure you."

"My compliments are earnest, regardless of, if believe you them or not" said Eloise "Besides, now that I know that both of us aren't chasing after my cousin. We might as well have fun watching all the other so called 'accomplished women' make their attempts. I want to see how many foolish compliments they can come up with." Said Eloise

"And If I may be so bold, may I ask, why aren't you chasing your cousin? Lord knows, none of the other women can compete with you. That is why all of them chose to join the other party .They are all probably jealous of you." Katherine said.

"Now your are the one flattering me with compliments, that might send me to the moon." Eloise said with glee "I love my cousin, truly I do. But not in the romantic sense and our feelings are mutual in that regard. He has always been like a big brother to me" Eloise said looking out the window . They could see other ladies in the garden, who were surrounding Mr. Kenmore and Lord Bradford, like bees surrounding honeycomb.

"I just wish my mother would abandon this silly notion of seeing me married to my cousin. We will be ill-suited, to say the least. I am too candid and free-spirited for him and he on the other hand is too stern and somber. So much so that, sometimes when he is upset I can see his teeth turn into fangs or two horns emerge from his forehead" Eloise said forming two horns with her index fingers on sides of her head.

"But don't tell anyone!" Said Eloise putting a finger on her lips barely holding a laugh "Or Arthur, I mean lord Bradford, will have my head!"

"Your secret is safe with me!" Katherine said shaking with mirth. This girl had made her laugh more in past half hour than she had laughed in past few months. Maybe Wimbledon manor wouldn't be so bad after all. Especially if she had company like Eloise.

She saw lord Bradford look up at Eloise as if he possessed sixth sense that told him she was talking about him. And then his gaze shifted to Katherine and for a brief second they locked eyes.  She felt heat rise on her cheeks and wave of thunder ran through her heart, that made her retract herself from his view. She reassured herself this was simply because she wasn't accustomed to male gaze. However, she couldn't deny the fact that she had never seen a gaze so smoldering as his, his eyes were permanently stamped in her mind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

495K 21.9K 28
[COMPLETED] At the age of 15, Miss Charity Chadwick is tricked into marriage. Her new husband, unhappy with their union, banishes her to his north...
4.5M 199K 36
"Deliciously captivating! It's the perfect amount of laughs, love and drama. You won't be able to put this book down!" - Grace K @ HQ. When Agatha be...
392K 23.9K 60
[The Inconvenient Matches series is comprised entirely of stand alone novels that can be read in any order] Forced into marriage by duty and obligati...
149K 9.8K 15
James Grafton, Viscount Gowthorpe, needs a wife. Recently returned to London, he reluctantly seeks out Lady Match, affectionately dubbed so by the to...