How to Stay Afloat

Galing kay Reeyu97

Fallon's sole ambition in life is to escape her miserable hometown once and for all. She dreams of driving aw... Higit pa

~D E S C R I P T I O N~
~P r o l o g u e~
~1: Where She Tries to Bribe a Man with a Cupcake~
~2: Where She's Definitely NOT Being a Stalker~
~3: Where He is Definitely Being Stalked~
~4: Where She Lets Him in on a Secret~
~5: Where He Decides to Fix Her Car~
~6: Where She Sees His Abs~
~7: Where She Introduces Him to Spartacus~
~8: Where He has Company for Lunch~
~10: Where She Tries to Hide in the Bathroom~
~11: Where She Tells Him About Her Past~
~12: Where She Tells Everyone Her Brilliant Idea~
~13: Where She Takes Part in an Auction~
~14: Where She Lives a Little With Him~
~15: Where She Ends Up on the Beach~
~16: Where He Asks a 'Friend' For a Favor~
~17: Where She Gets a Reality Check~
~18: Where He Goes on a Date~
~19: Where She Goes for a Drive~
~20: Where She's Not His 'Friend'~
~21: Where She Defends Him~
~22: Archer's Story~
~23: Where She Learns About His Past~
~24: Where She Gets Him a Little Wet~
~25: Where He Finds a Place to Stay~
~26: Where She Gets a Roommate~
~27: Where He's Jealous~
~28: Where She Finally Gets Closure~
~29: Where She Cheers for Him~
~30: Where She Confesses~
~31: Where She Asks Him About the Future~
~32: Where She Has Her First Fight With Him~
~33: Where She Has an Unexpected Visitor~
~34: Where He Decides to Ask Her to Prom~
~35: Where She Decides to Ask Him to Prom~
~36: Where She Gets Him a Cookie~
~37: Where She Visits the Place She Came From~
~38: Where She Goes to Prom~
~39: Where She Confronts Her Past~
~40: Where She Gets an Offer~
~41: Where She Realizes That Some People Never Change~
~42: Where She Gets Caught in the Middle~
~43: Where He Can't Find Her~
~44: Where all He Feels is Hollowness~
~45: Where He Meets Her Brother~
~46: Where He Goes to See His Father~
~47: Where He Finally Accepts~
~48: Bittersweet Endings and Hopeful Beginnings~

~9: Where She's Invited to a Party~

1.1K 61 6
Galing kay Reeyu97

CHAPTER 9:

Where She's Invited to a Party

~~**~~

|Fallon|

"You sure your parents won't mind?" I asked Archer.

He had called the tow truck company to take my car to his house. He'd explained how it made more sense since he had a proper garage and all his tools were already there, carrying them to and fro from his place to mine would be an inconvenience.

I knew he was too polite to say it but the thought of fixing my car on the sidewalk of my shady neighborhood probably wasn't that appealing to him.

He shrugged nonchalantly. "They probably would," he gave me a wink, "if they knew."

My mouth dropped open and I started to protest but he beat me to it.

"Don't worry about it." He reassured. "My parents are hardly ever home and even if they are home I doubt they'll notice since our house has two separately attached garages. The car they use is in the first garage and I use the second one. It'll be a little snug but both of our cars should fit."

I could feel my eyebrows disappearing into my hairline.

"Your house has two garages?" I asked incredulously.

He shrugged again "The house came that way. Always seemed unnecessary to me. Never really thought having two garages would actually work to my advantage one day."

Before I could give him an appropriate response the tow truck arrived and Archer went over to talk to the man sitting behind the wheel.

~~**~~

My eyes were practically bugging out of my head when we reached Archer's house.

Not a house.

More like a mansion.

I watched as Archer reached out the passenger seat window and punched a code in the small keypad mounted on the brick wall beside the black iron grill gate. The gate opened automatically and there was a beautiful white marble fountain right in the middle of the black-stained concrete driveway which led up to the Hastings's elegant residence. The house was huge with glass walls and towering white pillars.

Shit

Archer Hastings is rich.

Like crazy rich

I mean I'd kind of started to suspect it when I'd seen his car and when he'd said that he had two freaking garages but I hadn't expected him to be this well off.

I swallowed, feeling a little nervous and out of place suddenly.

Archer must have noticed my unease. "What's wrong?" He asked, concern lacing his voice.

I swallowed, biting my lip. "Nothing's wrong," I reassured him. "I just didn't know that you were so well-off. I'm just a little caught off guard I guess." I gave him a small smile.

His gaze flitted towards his house briefly before returning to me. "Technically I'm not."

My face must have shown my bewilderment because he chuckled.

"What I mean is," he paused, "this isn't my money it's my father's. I'm just a privileged asshole, nothing special."

Something about the way he said the words gave me the impression that he wanted nothing to do with his father's money but I chose not to question him about it.

~~

"I'll need to re-chrome the rims and the bumper. The engine's going to need upgrading and the brake line needs to be replaced." Archer said as he slid out from under my car.

He had removed his shirt, once again giving me a breathtaking view of his toned biceps and veined forearms. I watched as he used the jack to lift the car off the ground and took a wrench out of the toolbox to loosen the wheel nuts. His biceps bunched when he did that. My mouth suddenly felt a little too dry.

He removed the right front and back wheels and then carried the two wheels, one in each hand like they weighed nothing.

I was flabbergasted.

He tilted his head to look at me and must've caught my expression because he gave me a confused look before asking, "Is something wrong? Why are you looking at me like that?"

My mind went completely blank.

"You're really fit." I blurted out suddenly.

I immediately wanted to slap myself.

Had I actually said that out loud?

Please ground swallow me. Swallow me now!

He looked completely baffled. "Uh, thanks?"

"You must spend all of your free time at the gym," I said weakly. "I've actually been looking for a good gym to join, any suggestions?" I tried to cover my word vomit pathetically.

It was a complete lie, of course.

There was no way I could afford a gym membership, and even if I could, there was no way I could juggle going to the gym between school and my part-time job.

He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "I don't go to the gym, I work out at home if I get the time and I'm on the school's swim team so I guess that keeps me in shape."

My eyes widened in shock. "Wait, our school has a swim team? How did I not know that?"

Archer rolled his eyes. "The pool in our school has been closed for ages. The filters need repairing, we've complained about a hundred times but it's of no use. Now the team usually practices at the community pool or they come over to my house and use my pool."

I exhaled. "Wow, here I thought that the school board was just a bunch of sexists who funded the boy's teams and only the girl's teams were underfunded. But apparently, every sport except the football and basketball is a joke to them."

Archer shook his head. "Oh don't get me wrong, the school board members are definitely a bunch of sexists, the girl's teams have it even worse than us. They prefer to give most of the funds to the football and basketball teams because most of the sponsor's kids are on those teams."

"Peyton is on the girls' volleyball team and they've been trying to convince the school admin to get them new uniforms since last year but no one listens to them."

An idea suddenly popped into my head. "Hey! Why don't the guys from the swim team and the girls from the volleyball team host a joint fundraiser? I can get Peyton to talk to her teammates about it. You can divide the money you earn, hopefully, you'll earn enough to get the pool fixed and Peyton's team can have new uniforms." I said excitedly.

Archer seemed thoughtful for a moment. "Sounds interesting, I'll talk to the coach and the guys about it."

I smiled.

Suddenly my eyes caught the time on Archer's wristwatch.

My smile dropped.

Shit

I had completely lost track of time

"Oh shit, it's almost 4 PM!" I am so late for work. My manager is going to kill me!" I quickly grabbed my bag pack and made a beeline for the door.

"Fallon wait," Archer called out. "Let me just start the car, I'll drop you."

"It's no problem. I can go-"

He gave me a look that was almost pleading, the words died down in my throat. It was almost like he was desperate to spend just a little more time with me.

"I'll drop you." He repeated softly.

"Okay," I whispered.

~~**~~

Archer parked the car outside 'Antonio's Sweet Haven'.

Somehow we'd managed to reach just in time.

"I'll see you later then. Thanks for dropping me, Archer." I gave him a big smile as I started to get out of the car.

"Fallon, wait." His hand suddenly closed over mine. My pulse fluttered at the touch and something hot and heavy settled in the pit of my stomach.

I swallowed, my eyes locked on his hand.

It was so much bigger than mine.

As if he suddenly realized what he was doing he quickly removed his hand from over mine and I had to bite my lips to keep from frowning at the sudden loss I felt.

He rubbed the back of his neck, the tips of his ears turning pink.

"So there's like this charity thing this Sunday. My dad's firm hosts these huge parties in the name of charity every couple of months to make sure they uphold their good image." He ran his tongue over his lower lip. "There's going to be free food and drinks, plus we can make fun of all the pretentious rich people. I was wondering if maybe you would be willing to go with me." His eyes darted to me "If you're free that is."

I inhaled sharply.

Is he asking me to be his date?

My heart leaped with a surge of hope.

But suddenly a thought entered my mind that made all that hope vanish.

Caroline's parents were rich too. They probably hung out in the same circles as Archer's parents. We lived in a small town and rich families had their own cliques and socialized exclusively amongst themselves.

"Sure, Caroline's going to be there right? You guys must meet at such parties often?" I asked.

A part of me hoped that he'd say no. Caroline wasn't going to be at the party and he asked me because he wanted to spend time with me.

"Yeah, she's usually there at events like these. Her father almost always makes a huge donation.

I nodded. I tried to swallow the large lump that had suddenly lodged itself in my throat.

I was being completely selfish.

I was the one who'd suggested that I'd help him get together with Caroline in the first place.

Yet, every time I hung out with him I found myself completely forgetting about our deal.

He made it so easy to forget. . .

Today was Friday, the party was on Sunday.

Which meant that I had two days to get my shit together.

"Don't worry Archer. I haven't forgotten about my promise, I swear." I forced what I hoped was a bright smile on my face, "I'll be your wingman at this party. I'll make sure you sweep Caroline right off her feet."

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

7.5M 328K 47
A bullied girl meets the popular new student. ***** "Still saying that you're perfectly okay?" Max whispers. I'm surprised to hear that his voice is...
9.6M 311K 70
Wattpad Creator! Happy and proud. HIM: Staying the night? Not my thing. Hearts and flowers? Boring. Falling in love? Not anytime soon. Settling down...
17K 1.3K 58
Alison moved to a new town as her father got a new job, simultaneously, she decided to hide her dark past, starting a new chapter of her complicated...
3.6K 147 37
"Would you like to dance?" the boy asks me. I stare deep into his blue eyes, but I can't figure out who he is. He's tall with dark hair and the brigh...