The Woman at The End of The W...

By VRLove7

Vanessa Taylor, a sassy blue haired, tattooed cosmetologist with a mouth of a sailor was born and raised in O... More

authors note
prologue.
new message.
one.
two.
three.
four.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
ten.
eleven.
twelve.
thirteen.
fourteen.
fifteen.
seventeen.
eighteen.
nineteen.
twenty.
twentyone.
twentytwo.
twentythree.
twentyfour.
twentyfive.
twentysix.
twentyseven.
twentyeight.
twentynine.
thirty.
thirtyone.
thirtytwo.
intermission.
thirtythree.
thirtyfour.
thirtyfive.
thirtysix.
thirtyseven.
thirtyeight.
thirtynine.
forty.
fortyone.
fortytwo.
fortythree.
fortyfour.
fortyfive.
fortysix.
fortyseven.
fortyeight.
fortynine.
fifty.
fiftyone.
fiftytwo.
fiftythree.
fiftyfour.
fiftyfive.
fiftysix.
fiftyseven.
fiftyeight.
fiftynine.
sixty.
sixtyone.
sixtytwo.
sixtythree.
sixtyfour.
intermission 2.0
sixtyfive.
sixtysix.
sixtyseven.
sixtyeight.
sixtynine.
seventy.
seventyone.
seventytwo.
seventythree.
seventyfour.
seventyfive.
seventysix.
seventyseven.
seventyeight.
seventynine.
eighty.
eightyone.
eightytwo.
eightythree
eightyfour.
eightyfive.
eightysix.
eightyseven.
eightyeight.
eightynine.
ninety.
ninetyone.
ninetytwo.
ninetythree.
ninetyfour.
ninetyfive.
ninetysix.
ninetyseven.
ninetyeight.
ninetynine.
intermission 3.0
onehundred.
onehundredone.
onehundredtwo.
onehundredthree.
onehundredfour.
onehundredfive.
onehundredsix.
onehundredseven.
onehundredeight.
onehundrednine.

sixteen.

2.1K 57 29
By VRLove7

After finding out the startling news, I sought Kelly out. Instead of going to bed, we were in the now deserted cafeteria with Charlee. We moved the tables out of the middle. Now they are next to the walls, giving us a mostly clear room. I had asked him to teach me hand to hand combat. I'm good with weapons, but not with my bare hands. Kelly is good with all of it, as he's very well rounded in all things violent. His hands might as well count as weapons, too. I'm standing in shorts and a sports bra, my short brown hair wrapped in a black bandanna to keep it out of my face. I had taken off my boots, dancing around the room in my bare feet. Kelly had pulled off his shirt but left his pants on; he's also barefoot.

High on adrenaline, I go to kick his feet out from under him, instead I'm on my back, with his hand on my throat.

"You're dead!" He frowns at me, "stop hesitating, I can see it in your eyes." He straightens up, hauling me up. Once my feet are back on the ground, he walks away with his back turned to me, drinking in some water. I silently run up behind him, jumping on a chair next to him before landing on his shoulders, taking him down effectively. I laugh, feeling proud. Though, it doesn't last long; he picks me up, throwing me two feet, landing on my back.

I moan, "damn it."

"This isn't fucking a superhero movie; you need to get your head out of the fantasy and think logically." His voice dripping with contempt. "This could mean life or death, I'd appreciate it with you lived, Plus, you were loud." He smirks.

I hang my head in defeat. "I will not let anything like Owen, or The Governor happen, again."

He hands his water over, helping me up a second time. "It won't. We will keep doing this as long as you want, but you're getting tired. Let's tackle this again later. If you push yourself too much, you'll rip those stitches open."

"No. I want to keep going." I speak between gulps. "I won't let myself break, again." He had taken the time to explain my actions from the previous night. Shortly after I had left the cellblock, the screaming startled everyone into action. He and Charlee trailed behind Rick, Daryl, and Merle until they reached the bathroom. Daryl and Rick were able to bust the door down after a few attempts. I almost introduced Merle to my sword, I turned on Daryl when he tried to stop me to protect his brother. But I said Owen's name when my attention found Daryl. I had handed the archer his ass twice in one day. That's embarrassing.

He sighs, "fine. Again!" He shouts.

I block his next few attempts, the last one landing on my stomach. Shaking it off, I come after him with punches and kicks - quite a few connecting to his flesh. I duck, seeing his next move in his eyes, I bring my leg up, kicking him in his face. Not missing. I shout with excitement when he backs up, staggering.

"Good job, Ness!" Charlee yells to us. I look over, smiling back at my pretty best friend.

"Take five?" I ask Kelly innocently.

His face sour, "Let's take the night. You finally managed to wipe the floor with my ass." He pours his water on me, "ass." We all laugh.

"Awe, baby, if you wanted me to be wet, you could've said something." I tease, wiggling my eyebrows, making kissy noises at him. He throws his water bottle at me, but I hit it out of the way before it lands.

This felt normal. For just a second, the world wasn't ending. We weren't going to war. We weren't stuck in Georgia. It was just another night for us. Sans the fighting, of course.

I grab an apple I had taken earlier, sitting down. "You know, If I would've said something earlier, years ago. I wouldn't have put up with Owen."

Kelly chuckles, "Nah, you should've called me sooner. Or you know, confess your love for me before you were god damn dying on that bed." His face winces at the memory. "It only took the drugs to drag it out of you."

"Cause I've always been good at talking about that with anyone," I shake my head, taking a bite.

"Like with Daryl?" He comes to sit next to me, face serious.

I groan, "yeah, there's that."

"It took you twenty years to tell me, don't make that same mistake twice." He takes my face into his hands, forcing me to look at him, "I love you, Ness. But we were a god damn mess, baby. I'd marry you any day, but we-" he trails off, "any one of us could die tomorrow. Don't live or die with regrets."

"Damn it, Kells. You know that feeling shit scares me."

"I know it does, but what's scarier? You or him dying tomorrow, and one of you living with never knowing; or actually accepting that you deserve to be happy. It's not like you to go after someone like that."

"How did you know?" I play with the apple in my hands. "I don't know, I did punch Andrea for shooting Daryl. But I spent the better part of an hour trying to drag his loopy stubborn ass back to Hershel."

"Exactly, for him." A frown forms on his gorgeous face, "I know you. You never get this angry without a reason. I know what you said, but I know what your face and body language was screaming. You're hurting in here." He points at my heart. "Not just physically." He ruffles my hair. "Talk to him when you cool off. Charlee and I already discussed it, we aren't leaving. Healed or not."

"Round two?" I shake myself out of his hands, finding another bout of pent-up energy, ready to go toe to toe with him, again. He groans, getting into position to go again. My eyes find Daryl lurking in the doorway. Fuck, did he hear our conversation?

Last night, Rick found me in my cell after I had retired for the night to interrogate me about my hand-to-hand combat training with Kelly. I'm assuming someone heard shouting from the cafeteria. We had left the door open; I did notice a few people, like Daryl, coming to spectate. I explained my reason for it very simply - "I don't want to always depend on my weapons... what if I find myself without them?" He took a second to consider my answer before offering to help me. As a former officer of the law, he knows a thing or two about restraining someone. He decided to impart some of that information and training onto me. For that, I was grateful for his offer. After my shift on lookout duty today, he told me to go find him. I climb out of the stair well from the guard tower, sauntering back towards the prison when I hear the hushed voices of Daryl, Hershel, and Rick coming from around the corner in the opposite direction. I stalk to the area, not sure how or if I should make my presence known.

"I need you to take Kelly with you on this run." Rick's voice comes first. "I've already talked to him."

Pride swells in my chest. Kelly and Charlee are accepted into the group. At least, I'm not hitting the road with them anytime soon. Like Daryl and Merle, there is no me without my childhood friends. I'm sure Rick understands and sees that as a reality. Unlike Merle, Kelly and Charlee come without problems.

"Man, I can do it alone." Daryl's gruff tone snaps.

Rick chuckles, "but you took Vanessa on runs ever since we left the farm. Hershel hasn't signed her off, yet."

I start to round the corner when Daryl's words comes again, "That's 'cause she followed me like a damn puppy."

I freeze. Like a puppy? I scoff. Fury filling my body, red penetrating my eyes.

"That's quite enough of that now. We didn't have this problem at my farm with you two; now you're at each other's throats. I see where she's coming from. In her weak state,  you made a promise to her you didn't uphold. The way she sees it is you burned her. Brother or not. To her, that man was the reason she was in the position. You owe her a god damn apology." Hershel reprimands the archer.

I hear his infamous grunting, "it's be better if she left!"

"From my understanding, outside of Dale and Carol, you were one of the first who made her feel welcome among the group. She mentioned to me awhile back that she's still struggling to feel accepted. Something about never fitting in wherever she went. Now the one person she finds comfort in is treating her like this."

"Man, she started this by hittin' me."

"You deserved it from where she stood. I've only ever seen her attack Andrea."

"Daryl, if she leaves because of this, healed or not, that blood is on your hands." Rick speaks with finality. "Either work it out or stay out of her way."

I step from behind my hiding spot, crossing my arms. "It doesn't matter. I don't want a false apology. The bridge is burned. He's made it clear that he was never a friend. I wish you were never kind to me, Daryl. Growing up as an outcast, when someone is that kind to you, it usually means they have something evil up their sleeve. As an adult, I had hoped differently. I was wrong. If we have to live together, I think it's best you stay away from me and I'll be sure to do the same. I'm not sticking around forever, though. I'll be leaving, eventually." Shaking my head, "Rick, thanks for the offer, but I'm going to use the day to relax since I've been pushing it." The faster I heal, the better. The sooner I can leave. With or without Kelly and Charlee.

"Vanessa!" Daryl yells after me. I'm already a few yards away, rage running high through my veins. I don't turn around. I can't deal with anymore of his bullshit for the day.

Though, the news is still unsettling. Heart stinging, I wipe a stray tear when Kelly finds me, as I'm entering into the cell block. I refuse to cry over it like some heartbroken teenager.

"Hey Ness, I'm leaving... wait, what's wrong?" He brings me into his arms.

"I'm an idiot," I whisper, "he never fucking cared." I pull away, waving him off. "Go on your run. Come back to in one piece."

On account of the fact, I had cancelled the training session with Rick today, I decided it's a good time as any to enjoy my book and rest. I've been pushing myself with the stitches. Hershel's gotten on me once or twice about it.

For only a second, I wasn't in the prison at the end of the world. Instead, I was a wizard attending Hogwarts. If only, I sigh to myself. If this world was real, the walkers wouldn't stand a chance, I muse. But then there's power hungry dark wizards. Pros and cons. Evil is always around, in one way, shape, or form regardless of where you are.

"Hey honey." Carol sits on my bed, pulling me out of thoughts. "Can we talk?"

I sit up, complying. "What's up?" I set my book aside. I bring my legs to my chest, giving her my undivided attention. "It's good to see you, by the way. How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay. There's something you need to know about Daryl."

I groan, "Carol, it's cool."

She grabs my hands, "Sweetie, no, listen. I spoke with him last night. He told you about his dad..." she hesitates, "my husband hurt me."

I wince, "I'm sorry, I didn't know." I had some idea based off our first meeting, just didn't want to ask. Not my business, you know?

She nods, "it's okay. Ed died at the camp when it got overrun. Daryl knew. Everyone did. It was before we met you." She pauses, "after we found Sophia, he said the same things to me. He lashed out. He came to me before he left with your friend just now...people tend to say hurtful things out of anger or pain. The three of us have been abused in some form, and we all have our different ways to deal with it." I bite my lip, listening. "He pushes the closest people away when he's hurting. You deal with the trauma through your humor and only depending on yourself. He's sure he's lost his friend, and he's kicking himself. Don't give up on him, Vanessa. We all know his brother isn't good for him; I'm sure he knows, too."

"He was never a friend." I shift uncomfortably, peering down at our hands clasped around each other. "He called me a dog." Okay, now I'm being childish, I get it. "You heard it."

"And he's called me a stupid bitch once or twice. It's his charm." She brings her arm around my shoulder, "I've never seen him scared as he was the night of your episode. He felt helpless. He blames himself."

I run my hand through my hair, "my episode had zero to do with him... I just need time."

"I understand. He just wants you back."  She stands up, leaving me to my thoughts. "I know you still care about him." She speaks without turning.

I stir when I hear footsteps retreat out of my cell. I rub the exhaustion out of my eyes, grumbling. I had fallen asleep, peacefully reading. Old habits, and all. I pick up my book that has fallen to the floor during my sleepy tossing and turning. I kick my legs over, going to return to its place on the table when I notice a bag of instant coffee, a mug, various snacks, and a note. I smile upon seeing the coffee. I reach for the note, opening it.

Come find us in the cafeteria when you wake up.

There wasn't any indication on who it's from. Though, I notice it's not in Kelly's or Charlee's handwriting. Curious and curiouser.

I grab the coffee and mug that so lovingly reads, "I'm actually not funny, I'm just really mean, and people think I'm joking." I chuckle, knowing this was from Kelly. Probably. I saunter into the living area, boiling water to make the liquid gifted to us from the gods. Once it's done, I take a sip, moaning at its goodness. I drag it and my ass into the cafeteria, spotting Daryl, Merle, Rick, Michonne, Charlee and Kelly. Merle is sitting on one of the tables that we pushed along the walls, while Kelly is standing with Rick and Daryl. Daryl looks down, averting his eyes, angling his body away from me upon noticing my entrance. Rick has his arms crossed. Michonne is seated in a corner, talking to Charlee.

Kelly steps up towards me, embracing me into a hug, "I see you found it; you're gonna need it." He motions to the mug in my hands.

"Your idea?" I inquire, puzzled.

He shakes his head, face serious. "Daryl's."

My eyes flick to the man, noticing his shoes and socks are off. Things clicking together, "ah hell."

Kelly gestures to him, "you are gonna get in the ring, so chug that, and get ready."

I groan, "I should've made two cups."

I stalk to a table, setting my mug down followed by my gun, sword, and knife. I strip out of my tank top, leaving me in my sports bra, and shorts. I kick off my boots and socks. I pick up the mug again, gulping down the rest of its contents. I turn back around, noticing more people have migrated in, joining us in the room. Glenn, Maggie, and Carl lean against the wall, while Carol is rocking Judtih. Hershel limps over to a chair, lowering himself down. Beth must be on lookout, I muse.

"It's a family affair, huh?" Nervous, I run my hand through my hair, tying the bandanna to keep it from falling into my face, obstructing my line of sight.

Rick comes forward, "Not everyone is going to go easy on you like Kelly has, so he and Daryl had an idea." I glance around me, noticing everyone is barefoot but Carl, Carol, Kelly, Charlee and Hershel. Oh, this is going to be hurt.

I throw a look to Hershel, "you signed me off for this?" Apprehension builds from my stomach. Maybe coffee was a bad idea. It always triggered an anxious reaction. My hands shake from the large intake of caffeine.

He grins, nodding. "Sometimes you need a good ass kicking to get your head on straight."

"Alright, bring it." I return my attention, smirking at Rick. I roll my neck from side to side, loosening the muscles.

Rick lunges forward, reaching for my neck, I peddle backwards, bringing my leg up, kicking him in the shoulder. While he staggers back, I land a few punches in the face, sweeping his legs from under him. Without watching him go down, I spin around, seeing Michonne trying to sneak up behind me. I smile, punching her across the face. She brings her arm up, I grab it, putting all my strength into spinning her behind me. A groan escapes her mouth the second her back connects to the hard floor.

"Oh shit." I hear someone breath out.

"She's a force, I'm telling you." Another voice echoes off the walls.

Maggie steps to me, smiling sweetly, as she moves her arm out, seeing it in her eyes, I duck in the opposite direction as Glenn grabs me from behind. I reach for his head, pulling his ear until he lets go. Soon, they are tag teaming, landing a few hits. I stagger backwards, trying to figure out a way to deal with this. I crouch, sweeping Glenn's legs from under him, bringing my body up, I kick Maggie in the stomach. I wince, I really don't want to hurt these people.

My years in training as a child suddenly begin to kick in, I throw myself back, pushing off the ground with my hands, landing on Merle's shoulders, I tighten my legs around his neck, using the momentum to spin, and throw him down. I stumble backwards, catching myself before I fall.

"Ah, there it is." Kelly's voice comes, "remember all those years you spent in in gymnastics! Use it to your advantage, Ness!"

Merle pulls himself up, rushing me, I throw myself into froward in a flip, kicking him in stomach. I stand, smirking as he eyes me in shock. He races to me, again, I crouch, avoiding his makeshift knife hand. I grab his bicep as he passes, remembering everything he put me through, I spin him around for the third time, kicking him in the face the second I let go. I charge at him, vaulting up, landing on his stomach as he falls to the ground, straddling him, getting a few licks in on his face. I straighten up, cracking my neck, seeing Rick sneaking up, again, I backflip over him, grabbing his shirt while I'm in the air, bringing him down with me. I stand, seeing my favorite katana wielding friend. I run to meet Michonne in the middle, kicks and punches flying between us, I jump backwards, doing a front flip, feeling my feet connecting to her face. She stumbles back. I strut forward, waiting as she races forward, I step to the side, pulling my arm out the last second, effectively clothes lining her.

Spotting Glenn and Maggie approaching, I run, jumping on Glenn's shoulders, bringing my legs around his neck, spinning him into Maggie. I land on my knees on their impact.

Laughing, high on adrenaline, "I thought yall weren't going easy on me?"

I turn around, seeing Daryl strut forward, watching me in apprehension. I swear, hesitating. Both of us not moving. Just eying the other up.

"Stop bein' a chicken shit, baby bro!" Merle's annoying voice calls out to him.

Ignoring him, Daryl faces me, "if I win, we are talkin' this out." I realize he didn't say anything about me winning. That's not a good sign.

I cock my head at him, waiting and panting. I should've known this was coming. As angry as I am, this is not what I want. "You're already betting I'm losing? Awe, Dare, that hurts my heart." I place my hands over my chest, feigning hurt feelings.

Charlee's familiar tone reaches my ears, "you need this! You're angry with him, use this to settle that grudge faster. We are all sick of seeing you both brood."

Shaking my head, "not like this." I turn my back on him before he grabs me from behind, pinning me in place.

"Now that's playing dirty." I snarl, feeling his stomach behind me. "Dare, if you felt this way, you should've said something." I utter sweetly. Sensing his grip loosen, I kick off the ground, giving myself enough momentum to jump over, landing on his shoulders. I flip us forward. I jump back, letting him get up. I race ahead, memories of him leaving and calling me a dog play in my head. Every dirty word he uttered comes back into my focus. Seeing his next move in his eyes, I duck, spinning on my heels. I straighten up, jumping on his back, arms around his neck in chokehold, I deadweight, bringing him down with me. I throw him off of me, but he grabs my legs, dragging me with him. He twists, so I'm under him, my arms pinned to the ground above my head. I stare up at him, watching as his eyes travel my face, lingering on my lips. I clear my throat, he crawls off, helping me up.

"Congrats on taking me down." My gaze unable to meet his. I check my wrists. It'll probably be bruised tomorrow, along with any of other injury I might've sustained today.

He stands in front of me, "we're gonna talk later." He leaves, going to sit on a table, pulling his shoes on.

"I notice you, Kelly and Charlee have a matching tattoo... is there a reason behind it?" Hershel inquires, voice bellowing off the walls as I stalk to the table to get dressed.

Everyone faces the three of us, as Kelly and Charlee come up to me. I look to my best friends. 'Should I tell them?' question in my eyes. They nod. I pull my shirt on, facing the rest of the room.

"It's a Norse symbol for Loki." I hesitate, I detest talking about my beliefs with others. I gesture to my friends, "there's four of us. Three of us are Wiccan while Kelly is big into Norse mythology. Charlee, Wren, and I all work with Loki as one of our deities. I have another in the Greek pantheon, Athena."

Charlee chimes in, "we aren't in a coven, we all practice as individuals."

"Wiccan?" Hershel questions, hand rubbing along his chin. "Witches?"

"You work with Athena? Makes sense." Glenn offers, I nod in his direction.

I wince at the older man's words, "not all witches are Wiccan; there's paganism, heathens, and druids as well. On that same coin, not everyone who practices Wiccan consider themselves witches. However, I do consider myself as much."

Hershel ponders the weight of my words. I study his face, looking for any malice. I don't find any. Just curiosity. I cock my head at him, confused. I know a lot of people of god have their reservations about my craft, yet the elder man holds no judgment towards us.

Kelly offers me a water, I take it graciously. I gulp it down.

"You say there's four of you?" Rick steps towards us, shoes back on his feet.

"Yeah." I grin, remembering Wren. Our little red headed spit fire. I miss her. I hope she's okay. I hope she's alive.

He smirks, "so if we see that tattoo on the right shoulder, we found the fourth crazy member of your group."

Charlee burst out in a fit of laughter, "Vanessa is the least crazy of us. She's the meek one." She sends a prideful look my way, "well, was."

"Oh boy." I hear Glenn chuckle, "Vanessa and meek don't belong in the same sentence."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

223K 4.7K 72
" Children shouldn't play with guns." " Who said I was playing ?" Maya Rosewood was twelve years old when the turn happen. Dead rose to eat the livi...
6.5K 215 10
Some would say the world ended the moment the dead began to roam the earth and eat the living. Others, would say it had only just begun, because for...
236K 10K 79
When the world went to hell it didn't make much difference to y/n's life. She was alone before everything and she was alone now. When everything sta...
423K 8.1K 75
" This isn't the beginning. It's the end to all things." When the dead risen to eat the living, Kayla Grimes found herself in the middle of survivin...