The Overlooked Protector | A...

By TheInsaneFriend

"I've always been the second choice. Just once, I want to come first" Formerly called "Learning to Love Again... More

Summary & Cast
Act I
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 12

1.5K 39 4
By TheInsaneFriend

"Izzy! We got your text. Where exactly are we?" Alec announces our presence.

"It's an old meatpacker's service entrance," the dark haired girl elaborates as we start walking further into the establishment. "If we go back there, we come up into the basement of the Hotel DuMort. Perfect, right? We distract the vamps, Clary and Jace have time to find Simon."

"Got it, keep the vamps away from them three as long as possible." I summarize.

"Okay," Alec dismisses, causing me to roll my eyes at his tone.

"Okay? It was hard work interrogating Meliorn to get this intel."

"Great job, Izzy," he congratulates in a high, mocking voice, only for it to drop to his normal one with his next sentence. "You have faerie dust on your dress."

"Leave your sister alone Alec. It can be difficult to interrogate Seelies after all, they're good at evading and distracting."

The raven haired beauty sends me a smirk that turns into a thankful smile and I return it with a small smile of my own.

"Well I also hate being the distraction."

"I don't." Alec doesn't respond and walks ahead of us. "You know, you'd be a lot happier if you weren't so damn repressed," Izzy calls out. I stay silent as I feel it isn't exactly my place. "Alec? Hello?" She tries again, drawing out the o. The boy only sighs and walks further ahead of us.

The girl shakes her head in annoyance and I just give her a pat on the shoulder before following him.

Eventually, I end up in front of both Lightwood siblings and the two are having a conversation side by side that I tune out of, not trying to invade. I climb up a ladder and when I get to the top, I wait at the top for them. Once they're both up, we quickly make our way through this pipe area and to a door.

"This must be the way," Isabelle announces as she opens it, only for us to close it right away, a group of vampires waiting on the other side.

Alec quickly moves to look for his stele in order to draw the locking rune.

"Any day now," his sister rushes.

"Yeah, if you two would hold the door still, it might be a lot easier." He finally gets it out of his pocket, only for the rune not to work.

I sigh in frustration and take out the seraph blade that was in my quiver. I swiftly move to slice one of the pipes above us and slot the newly broken pipe between the door handle and the pole that was right next to the door.

"Whoever said, "The pen is mightier than the sword," was an idiot." Izzy sighs in relief, flashing me a grin.

"When you're right, you're right," Alec relents.

We all step away from the door and prepare ourselves for when the vamps evidently break through.

"Do you think they know where we are?"

"That's the idea, right?" The dark haired boy questions back as a hand makes its way past the poorly blocked door, searching for the pipe to open it. "How long do you think we have to distract them for?"

"Ten more minutes," Iz responds like it's nothing.

"Ten? We'll be liquid lunch in 5."

"Or have our heads ripped off, that's always fun," I comment sarcastically.

"So let's distract them."

"So let's distract them," Alec and I repeat after the ravenette.

The two of us then aim our arrows at the door, Izzy's whip slithering down her wrist and into her hand as the vamp grabs the pipe and throws it out of the way. She wraps her weapon around the first one's leg, pulling him toward her. Alec tracks and shoots the one that tried to dash to the left of us. I release my own arrow before the third one can even leave the doorway. Briskly drawing another one, she waits for more to dare come in view of the entrance.

"This is fun," Alec states, causing me to smirk.

"Yeah, it's a lot easier than I thought it'd be."

"Keep coming boys," Isabelle taunts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

{No one's pov}

The eldest Fairchild and two Lightwood siblings take care of the rest of the vampires in their way and quickly make their way to their respective loved ones. Just as they are about to turn the corner to where they are, shouts of distress could be heard. Recognizing the voice, Kate pushes faster, nocking an arrow as Alec does the same, not far behind her.

When she arrives on the scene, a furious looking vamp is holding the redheaded girl as she fights to get away. Both archers take aim and seeing this, the guy in the blue sweatshirt moves the Clary in front of him. This does not deter either shadowhunter though as they glance at each other before making a decision.

"Okay," Alec nods. The two aiming their weapons suddenly direct their shots at the wall behind the downworlder, breaking the wall and allowing the sun to shine through. The guy loosens his grip and Clary takes this opportunity to break free and before he can move away from the light, the vampire disintegrates, going straight back to hell.

Jace then kicks one of the two guys he was fighting away, that one now turning its attention to the redhead. He swings at her, only for the girl to duck and stab the vamp in the stomach, killing it as the blond deals the final blow on the other one.

"I killed him," Clary breathes out in disbelief and pride. Kate looked at her sister proudly as well, while the younger had her gaze strictly on Jace.

"He was already dead," the blond tilts his head with an amused grin, which causes her own smile to fall.

"Plus, he wanted to kill you. Remember that." Izzy states, walking further into the cleared room. "She did great, right?"

"Yeah, you did. You should be proud."

The tallest girl in the room moves in front of her sister, as if purposely blocking Clary and Jace's views of each other. "You did amazing, Red."

"Thanks, but it's not about me. Let's go find Simon." With that, the newest Shadowhunter leads the way with all the others not far behind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The five hunters walk into an old-fashioned, yet fancily decorated room, finding Simon there, however not in the way they would have hoped. Raphael had the teenage boy restrained, holding a knife to his neck just shy of drawing blood.

Clary tries to rush forward, seraph blade out as the dark haired siblings tense and Jace holds the girl back. Kate lingers at the back of the group, making direct eye contact with the seemingly crazed vampire for a split second before shouting orders at the half angels.

"Put it away. I've had more than enough of your friend for one day and I would love to cut his throat. Don't give me a reason." When none of them move aside from the girl at the back, who never really pulled out her weapon, he demands louder. "Put it away!"

"Simon. Simon, are you alright?" Clary tries to ask.

"I wouldn't say alright-"

"Stop talking!"

"Hey!" Kate yells, causing everyone's focus to turn to her. "You need to let him go." Her and Raphael stare at each other for a moment, but not enough to cause any suspicion.

"We'll see about that," he starts. Though with this, the girl that happened to know him got the message. He had to do this to avoid his own troubles, but he would let Simon go. "Now, if you would all just follow me. Let's go!"

Raphael walks backwards and up a stairwell, still with the knife pressed firmly against the mundane's throat. The shadowhunters cautiously follow, Alec in the lead and Katelyn taking up the back. The two heavy headed protectors surrounding their respective families to ensure their safety.

"Come on, let's go! Up here now!" The vampire continues to shout. "That's right, get down there now or I'll kill him right now."

"Look, we're not gonna hurt you. We just want Simon," Clary tries again, scared for her best friend. The girl's sister and Jace continue to push her forward though, keeping watch of the man holding the boy captive as they were now behind the group.

"I'm glad you do. We don't. We wanted you two," he states, referring to the Fairchild girls.

"Well here I am." The fiery girl makes another attempt to go for Raphael, but is held back once again by Jace.

"Stop!"

"I said "wanted." Not my idea. Now get out! Go!"

"Not without Simon."

"Shut up! Open that door, or I'll kill him right here."

"Listen to him." The blond orders and Alec listens.

"But my best friend will die if-"

Clary is cut off by Raphael's cries as he hides from the sunlight that poors in when the raven haired boy opens the door.

"Clary, go!"

"Go, go, go!"

"Go! Take him, and go!" The vampire finally yells, pushing Simon forward and hiding further behind the pipes.

"I don't know how to thank you," Simon says, turning to face his captor.

"Don't thank me. You mean nothing. This is about Valentine and the chaos he can bring."

Jace then shoves the nerdy boy out the door, pushing him. "Come on!"

"Jace Wayland!" Raphael halts the boy, consequently causing Kate to turn around with him as she was the last in line. "Remember who your friends are."

The blond walks out with the brunette following. However before she left, she looked at him and gave a nod in thanks. "If you ever get the chance, overtake Camille. You'd be a better leader." With that, she caught up with her fellow Shadowhunters and shut the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the time the brunette gets outside, Clary and Simon are wrapped in a tight embrace. The other three hunters have walked a few feet away from the two on another part of the roof where. The trio observe as Kate walks up to them slowly, placing a hand on each of the redhead and the mundane's shoulders.

She gives them a gentle smile, veiling the stress and worry she had been feeling for the past 24 hours. The dark haired boy and girl as well as the blond watch as she says something to them, though they cannot hear, before she pulls them both into a hug. While the girl smiles in both a fond manner over their bond as well as pride over their rescue, the two boys remain stone faced.

Eventually, the three siblings look away from the three newbies who have caused them so much trouble in the few days they have known them. Isabelle pulling out her phone and touching up her makeup.

"Well, no accounting for taste."

"Yeah, you should talk," Alec snarks to his sister. He then turns to Jace, "Look, can I just say one thing?"

"You will, whatever I say, so shoot."

"You think you know Clary, right? But you may not. Think about who her father is. Think about who their father is."

"You know what, Alec? Do not start this again with me, Alec."

"The two just came out of nowhere, Jace. Okay? One of them even knowing how to fight, rather well might I add. They could be dangerous," Alec points out, his voice starting to raise.

"They have no one," Jace retaliates, his own tone rising as well.

"Just listen to me for one second-"

"Alec, stop!" The Wayland boy finally shouts, immediately catching the attention of everyone else.

Izzy merely looks at them, sighing at her two brothers. Clary's gaze lands on the blond with clear concern and slight annoyance, wondering what it was Alec was complaining about now. Probably her, she assumes.

Lastly there was Kate, who looked between the two in mild confusion, before settling on the taller boy. She walks forward a bit, moving toward the bottom of the stairs that lead to the upper part of the roof they were on. Her hands leaving her sister's and pseudo-brother's shoulders.

The brunette can vaguely hear from her new position as Jace sighs in frustration and exhaustion.

"Just stop."

The parabatai both hold the same expression in their eyes, tired and slightly distant as they face each other.

"I'm older than you, Jace. I'm not in your shadow," Alec states, voice softer now.

The older Fairchild sighs at this, glancing down for a moment as she remembers Hodge's words.

"If you really feel that way about her, about them, why did you help us tonight?"

Again, Kate's gaze falls upon the taller boy, wondering the same thing. While he wasn't as harsh toward her, it was very clear that Alec still did not trust her fully. She believed he didn't like her at all and she knew that he didn't like Clary.

She watches as Alec stares at his parabatai in silence. In this moment of silence, she recalls the two's conversation while they were walking to the institute. How Alec went quiet when she mentioned being a third wheel to her sister and the blond. How he quickly changed the subject. Alec had feelings for the male shadowhunter and they weren't brotherly.

As Kate made this realization about the boy, other thoughts were racing through his head. It was true, he mostly helped out tonight because of the Wayland boy. However, he was conflicted. Despite the fact that Alec had accused the brunette who had abruptly shown up alongside her sister, he couldn't help but think of the few conversations he had with her since her arrival. Kate wasn't the only one who noticed how similar she and him were personality wise.

Alec didn't trust her, but he didn't dislike her either. The boy was confused about how he felt. He knew his feelings for Jace, even though he hated himself for it. He knew his feelings toward the clueless little girl Jace was obsessed with. What he didn't know, were his feelings over the fellow archer who was much like him in the sense where all she wanted to do was protect the ones she loved most.

While all this was going on in his mind, he didn't dare chance a brief look to his left, where he noticed said brunette watching out of the corner of his eye. Instead, Alec glanced one last time at Jace before turning and walking away.

Kate considered following after him, but ultimately decided not to. The boy needed some time to himself. Jace did not follow after him either. Alternatively, he turned and caught Clary's eye and the two held one another's gazes. As everyone's attention was focused on someone or something else, no one noticed the growing distress on Simon's face. The distress that would only continue to grow as his senses became eerily similar to that of a vampire after having traded blood with Camille Belcourt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: 2345 words this time :) the way I had 95% of this chapter done back in like, late February and then forgot about it as school started to kick my ass. AP classes suck, don't do them. unless you're like super smart, then go for it

also I switched things up this chapter, I wrote in 3rd person! I might do that every now and again, although if you guys like the 3rd person writing better, I may slowly transition to that, so let me know in the comments :)

anyway, please vote and comment if you are enjoying the story so far <3 it means a lot to me and lets me know if i'm doing something right lol

Qotd: coffee or tea?

Ans: for me personally, I do prefer iced teas, specifically milk teas and usually with  boba. although I will drink iced coffee every now and then and will drink milk teas without the boba

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.2K 421 22
A sequel to my first story, Born Confused! *__________________* Upon waking up from a year long coma, Alec Lightwood soon learns his life with Magnus...
213K 4.6K 40
"You rise, I fall I stand, you crawl You twist, I turn Who's the first to burn." I...
250K 4.6K 39
{Alec Lightwood x OFC} {Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments} {Season 1} {Book 1 of 4} {2021}
3.7K 131 24
Hello! So most of the fanfics I've been reading on here have to do with Magnus and Alec breaking up or one of them dying etc. This one doesn't. Soooo...