A California Girl in Nottingh...

By JeannieGisborne

This is the story of Aylaina MacLeod, aTime Traveler. When Aylaina makes her maiden voyage into time, she qu... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
A California Girl in Nottingham's Court Chapter Three Part One
A California Girl in Nottingham's Court Chapter Three Part Two
A California Girl in Nottingham's Court Chapter Five
A California Girl in Nottingham' Court Chapter Six

A California Girl in Nottingham's Court Chapter Four

1.4K 27 8
By JeannieGisborne

"Fools Rush in Where

Only Angels Fear to Tread"    -From poem 'An Essay on Criticism' by Alexander Pope

Chapter Four

Even after all that scolding I gave myself back in the dungeon, I was still going through with my plan to tell Robin and Guy something that might change the events that were about to take place.

Guy and I spent most of our days together. He was teaching me to use a sword. French was flowing from my tongue much easier now and it was becoming increasingly harder not to fall in love with him. I had a feeling like I'd known him all my life. As if I truly was Aylaina of this century.  

After sword practice,  we would return to camp to once again gather supplies for the suffering people of the villages. This was our daily routine and I was enjoying the pleasure and excitement I was getting from doing good deeds.  As the days ended I would fall exhausted into my bunk to sleep the sleep of one who had put in a hard days work.

The morning dawned with gray clouds, threatening to rain.  I had completely forgotten that my armor was waiting for me in Locksley, and knowing Robin would not let me go get it myself,  I asked Much,

 "Would you please go into Locksley for me?  I had some armor made several months ago by William, the leather man. I hope he still has it."

"Of course, Aylaina."  He said, happily.  "I will let Robin know what I am doing."

With that out of the way, I sat down to chat with Tuck and John.  The ground was littered with fallen leaves as autumn was slowly approaching winter.  The air was cooler and I snuggled into my cloak as Tuck and I talked about the Bible.  He was surprised I knew so much.  I told him that my 'father' had acquired a Latin Bible from a bishop when his abbey burned down.  The bishop managed to save the Bible and gave it to my 'father' as a gift, knowing he would receive a new one from Rome. This story was true,as I had read it  in our family history.  My ancestor knew Latin and taught it to his daughter so that she could read the Bible for herself.  During the Dark Ages,it was highly unusual for a lay person, let alone a girl, to have read it.

John said, "I know the Lord's Prayer and the Ten Commandments and that is good enough for me."

Turning back to Tuck, I asked,  "Doesn't God want us to forgive our enemies?"

"Yes." replied Tuck.

"Then why hasn't anyone forgiven Guy?  Have you not told them what God's word says?

"These people need time to heal." Tuck responded.  "Gisborne has done much harm to them when he worked for the old sheriff."  

Well, I couldn't argue with that, but I continued,

"What about Guy?  Have you not tried to give him comfort from God's Word?"

"Indeed, I have, but the guilt he feels is too great for him to hear anything that would ease his suffering."

From my own conversations with Guy, I knew this was true.  It would have to wait for another time.

John said, "I used to think Gisborne was pure evil.  I don't know.  Maybe a man can change." Rising to his feet, he announced,   "I must be off to Clun.  Good day to you, Aylaina."

"Good day, John." I replied.

Much returned with my armor.  I thanked him, and he said he was off to Nettlestone.

Shortly after I had arrived in this time period, John built a bunk for me under Kate's.  I went there to put on my armor coat and britches.  I laced up the front and tied the sleeves to the shoulders and elbows.  It fit to a tee, as did the britches.  Heading toward the road, I watched from behind a tree as the others hid.

Robin laid his ear to the ground.  Smiling, he stood up and put two arrows on his bow.  Saying something to him, Kate handed him another arrow. A rider was approaching.  Robin shot the arrows, and they landed directly in front of the rider, which made him fall from the horse.  Guy took a rolled up parchment from him and gave it to Tuck.

As I moved closer, Robin said, "Tie him up then."

Tuck read the message.  It was from Isabella to Prince John.  It said troops loyal to the king would be waiting for him when he landed in some port.  I didn't catch the name. She would send about three hundred troops and supplies to meet with Prince John's forces in Doncaster.

"So where does Isabella get three hundred men from?" Robin asked, bewildered.

Tuck finished reading.  "England will soon be yours."

Robin sent the messenger back with a message of his own.

"You tell the sheriff, England will never be a slave to Prince John, not while Robin Hood fights for King Richard!"

Alan sent the rider off sitting backward on the horse.  He looked so funny that I had to stifle a laugh.

"Robin!" John yelled from the valley,  "I  was in Clun, and they've taken them!  The Sheriff's men have taken all the men."

"How many?"  Guy shouted.

"Must have been at least a hundred!" John replied.  

Much ran up the other side of the bluff. "Same in Nettlestone!  The sheriff's men carted them off, along with crops and livestock, too!"

"They'll go to Locksley next."  Turning to the others, Robin shouted, " Get to Locksley!"

We all took up weapons.  I gathered  as many stones as I could hold in my pouch, picked up a bow and some arrows and ran as fast as I could to catch up with Robin and the gang.  When we got to Locksley, Robin jumped onto a thatched roof and started shooting arrows, hitting several soldiers.

Isabella's right new hand man given to her by the Prince, a man by the name of Blamire, shouted, "Pull back!  Get the supplies to the castle!"

Robin slid down the roof and continued shooting.   Pelting soldiers with stones from my slingshot drove them off a bit.  The other men and Kate were engaging the soldiers with swords.  John was striking with his quarterstaff.  I began gathering the town's people, heading them away from the battle. Soon Kate joined me.

The village men were chained together so they could not run.

"Get the prisoners out of there!"  the sheriff's man called.

Robin yelled to John, "Break the chain!"  

After John had broken the chain, the sheriff's men fell back, taking the supplies with them.

Breathing heavily, Robin said, "Let's get these men to Sherwood."

As we walked back to the forest, Robin said we needed to give our stores to the women and children of Locksley to keep them alive until we could get theirs back.Then he and Tuck began discussing the men of the village and whether or not they would be up to the fight.  Robin felt the men had lost hope, and Tuck said it was time to light a fire in them once again.

I slowed my pace until Guy caught up to me.

Taking his arm, I said, "Guy, I need to tell you something."

"Can it not wait?  We need to get our stores to Locksley."

"I suppose it must",  was all I could say.  I wasn't sure what I was going to tell him  about the trap anyway.

Guy went into the camp to help get things ready to take to Locksley.  I was concentrating on finding a way to sneak off and get another peek at my Mepad.   There was much hurrying about the camp.  Taking my cue from the bustle, I ran to the pile of rocks next to the tree.  Pulling out my pack,I reached inside and found my flashlight.  That and my pocket knife just might come in handy. Digging through my clothes, I felt something cold and smooth.   When I pulled the object out, I looked down at it and sighed.   It was my 9mm automatic handgun with a 16 round full clip.  Looking around to make sure no one saw me, I slipped it into my pouch.  Because it was heavy, I cinched my belt a little tighter.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it,  but I felt a sense of comfort knowing it was there.

Taking out my Mepad, I began browsing my family history for any information that might be useful. The MacLeods kept very careful and precise records that were handed down from generation to generation.  Aylaina was still in Scotland at this moment in time. That was good, as I didn't need her to show up with me here, too.  And yes, her son was fighting in the clan wars.

I knew that Guy's mother, the Lady Ghislaine, had taken an interest in Aylaina.  Since her mother had died when she was quite young, Ghislaine took Aylaina under her wing and would teach her the things a lady should know, like proper etiquette.  

The history said a note was sent to Ian from Ghislaine that told him how much she enjoyed the time they spent together and how Isabella really loved her 'new', big sister. In the note, she told Ian of an incident that had occurred with the neighbor boys.  They ambushed Aylaina on her way home and pushed her around until one of them struck her.  Guy stopped them and gave each one a godd beating but Aylaina did not want Guy to tell Ian.  She didn't want them to get punished.  Guy only told Ghislaine about the incident long after it happened because Aylaina made him promise not to tell anyone.  Hm, I was going to have to ask Guy about that one.  I continued reading because something else caught my attention.  One of my ancestors told of a scandal involving Aylaina.  After Conor MacLaren was killed, his family sent her back to her father.  The MacLarens claimed that Aylaina's son was not Conor's, even though he raised him as such. Elliot was born early, and his hair was very dark, but not like the dark red that Conor had.  They only let her stay with them because Conor insisted, but when he died, all ties were broken.  Aylaina was sent back to her father.

Wow!  That could only mean one thing.  Elliot MacLaren was Guy's son!

Robin approached me as I was returning.

"We are are off to bring stores to the people of Locksley.  Are you coming?"  he asked.  I was still in shock over what I had just read.

"Uh, yeah, uh, I'm coming."

It was raining lightly, and it felt good on my face.  I liked rain.  As we walked, I let some of the drops fall on my tongue.  Guy was watching me, and he smiled that funny smile of his.  As we walked side by side, I was still thinking about Elliot.

Much and Alan were walking just ahead of us, and I heard Much say that the only time Gisborne looked human was when Aylaina was around. Alan chuckled.

Robin heard this exchange and had to put his two cents in. As he turned around to look at me, he said, "That is because she was the only person Guy could tolerate."He was always brooding, but she could always make him laugh.  Is that not true, Guy?"

"Yes, and you were lucky that she stopped me from giving you a sound thrashing when you would sneak about to see what we were doing."

We all laughed.  Guy kept a straight face, but I knew he was amused.  I was beginning to feel as though I was the Aylaina from this time period.

When we arrived in Locksley we all split up, going to each home with a bag full of vegetables, some meat, and bread.  The town was eerily quiet.  Kate went to her mother, giving her a bag of food.  Rebecca handed something to her. Robin went over to Rebecca and she hugged him as Kate strolled over to the rest of us.

Finishing with the deliveries, Robin said he thought we should go, so we all returned to the camp.

My feet were killing me.  I wasn't used to walking on this kind of terrain. I usually walked on a trail at a park back home.  Sitting on my bunk, I took off my shoes.  An altercation was taking place between Robin, Guy and Tuck.

"What's this?" Tuck asked, his brow furrowed as he gazed at an object in his hand.

Furrowing his own brow, Guy took the object and said, "It's Isabella's.  My mother gave it to her when she was a child.   Isabella worshipped our mother, and she cherished this "

Robin was questioning Guy as to why it was here, and Guy got defensive.  

"You think this is mine?" he asked.

"Well, she's your sister, Guy."  Robin replied.

"Yes, a sister who betrayed me," he said angrily "and tried to kill me!"

"If there is any doubt about your loyalty..."Tuck's words  trailed off.

"There isn't."  retorted Guy, emphatically.  "Would I have told you it was Isabella's if there was?"

"Well, if it's not yours,whose is it?" asked Robin.

Guy walked away, tossing the object on a bunk.

He was sharpening his sword when I went over to him.

"Don't be upset with them," I consoled Guy.   "Surely you can understand why they questioned you?"

"Yes, I know."  was all he said.  He was still angry.

I went about my own business of collecting stones and stringing a bow.  Picking up a sword that I could handle with both hands, I practiced parries on a tree.  Guy and Robin were teaching me how to deflect blows.

Robin gathered us all together to plot out a plan.  Here it comes, I thought to myself.  He began by saying that we had to take the castle and claim it for King Richard, arrest Isabella, take the supplies, and release the men.

"We hold the castle until King Richard returns."  Robin finished.

Much didn't think we could take the castle.  

Then Guy said, "We can, if we go down the tunnel."

He went on to explain how the former sheriff had him build the tunnel in case there were repercussions after their failed mission in the Holy Land. He said he had silenced the diggers and proceeded to draw a map, of sorts, with his sword.  Claiming that no one knew about the tunnel, he went on to say that the opening was in a grave outside an old church and lead directly into the center of the castle.

While Guy was speaking, I felt all nervous inside, waiting for a chance to tell Robin and Guy what I knew about the tunnel, hoping my story about how I found out would be accepted.

Guy said they could seize Isabella, force her to dismiss her guards, and take the castle.

Robin added that if we coordinated the plan with the supply train leaving, most of the guards would be too busy to notice.

Kate said she wanted nothing to do with it because she didn't trust Guy.  

John said, "How do we know this isn't a trap?"  

Guy replied, "Because we want the same thing."  

Kate accused him of not caring about the people.  Guy's pride got the better of him.  He said he didn't care about them, but just wanted revenge on Isabella for what she had done to him.

Kate yelled, "That is more like the Gisborne we all know and loath!"  

Robin put a halt to all the bickering by saying that they would go down the tunnel, and that would be the end of the discussion.

"Gisborne is one of us now.  Our fate is his!" Robin exclaimed. He then sent Tuck and John to get whatever forging tools they could find to make weapons and sent the rest of us to melt down coins to make arrowheads.  

Robin made his way to Kate.  They were deep in a conversation, but I had other things to worry about.

Sitting next to Allan, I felt I had to say something, because I knew what his fate would be. I just couldn't tell him.  

I spoke softly to him.  "No matter what happens, Allan, remember that your friends love you."

"I know." he answered.  "What's this all about?"

"Nothing." I said.  "Just remember that."

"I'm not being funny, but you are strange." he replied. Actually, he said, "I do not say this in jest, but thou art strange."

I agreed and then took my leave.

On previous occasions, Guy and I talked about the old days.  I talked about what I did know and faked the rest,  though I carefully steered clear of that subject.  We talked about how we would move about the forest unseen.  My 'father' taught 'me' how to hunt.  Since he had no son, Ian taught Aylaina all the things he would have taught a son and hunting was one of them.  My own father taught me hunting skills and I had military training in the Marines. It seems that Aylaina and I had a lot in common.  Telling Guy the story I had made up should have been convincing enough, so I thought I'd let the chips fall where they may.

"Guy," I said moving toward him. "I have something to tell you. Let us go to the tree."

Setting out for the old oak, Guy asked, with a look of concern, "What is it?"

Apparently my nervousness showed.  That might make it more convincing.

We crawled into the hollow.

"You can't go down the tunnel."  I whispered.

Guy inquired, "Why not?"

I took a deep breath.  "It is a trap."

"How do you know?" He asked.

Guy turned to look at me.  I saw suspicion in his eyes, but I continued.

"Isabella has set a trap for you. You must not go that way." I said with urgency.

"You still have not told me how you know." Guy said too quietly.

"I had stolen my way into the castle while you and the others were making stores ready for Locksley. I went in with the maids and beheld Isabella with a man.  I heard him say, "There be a tunnel that leads into the castle that only Guy of Gisborne knows about." I..."

At that point, Guy took hold of my arms and shook me, saying, "How could anyone else know unless it were you that told her!"

"It was not me, Guy.  I only heard it when you told it." Of course this was not true, but I couldn't say how I really knew.

"I would not do such a thing to you or to Robin.  I have come to love these people." 

It cut me to the quick to have him angry with me, let alone think that I would betray him.

 He loosened his grip but was still holding on to me.  He tugged me close to him.

""Et moi? Est-ce que tu m'aimes?" And me? Do you love me?

I didn't know what to say.  Did I love him?  Wow!  I can't be in love with someone from this time period. I had to go home sometime.  The heart is a tricky thing, though.  If 'one' is not careful, and not guarding 'one's'heart, 'one' could fall in love without even thinking about it.

My feelings for him must have shown on my face because, right then and there, Guy kissed me.  At that moment, all thoughts of time, tunnels and sheriffs fell away as we embraced each other.  He took my face in his hands and we gazed into each others eyes.  Again, we kissed, and I lay my head on his shoulder.  

Reality broke through this misty, lightheaded feeling I was having.  First I, thought, 'How can he suspect me one minute and kiss me in the next?'  Then I thought about Marian.  It wasn't that long ago that he loved her.

"Ne pas vous aimer encore Marian?" I asked.  Do you not still love Marian?  Then, as I turned away, he pulled me toward him and held me against his chest.

"I will always love her," he said,  letting out a heavy sigh."but in a different way. Reverting to English, he continued, "I was obsessed with her.  The more she resisted me, the more I wanted her.  When I returned to Locksley, Robin had gone to fight with King Richard in the Holy Land."  His tone became hard and bitter.  "Prince John replaced Marian's father, who was sheriff, with Vasy.  I regret to say that Vasy and I formed an alliance. I was so filled with anger over losing any possible claim to a title, that I took whatever was Robin's. I even intended on taking his woman, too."  

Guy's voice became soft again.  "Qu'est-ce que je l'ai fait pour elle, me hante chaque jour. Je ne mérite pas le bonheur."  What I have done to her, haunts me every single day. I do not deserve happiness.

He turned my face toward his.  

In a most sober voice and reverting back to French, Guy said, "Etre avec toi me as montré que tu étais mon premier amour, et tu seras mon dernier."  Being with you has shown me you were my first love, and you will be my last.  We kissed again.

"So, who is this man that has told Isabella about the tunnel?" Guy asked at last.

"Wait a minute!" I exclaimed, hitting him in the chest. "You have accused me of telling Isabella!"

"I knew not how you knew when I did not  think anyone else was aware of it. I realise now that you would not betray me, Aylaina." Guy said.

"Pray, let this be the last time you question me so!"  I exclaimed.

I couldn't tell him it was his brother because I hadn't even met him yet. From Robin's and Guy's appearance, I could guess what the man would look like.

"He was tall and handsome," We were once more speaking English. I quickly added, "not as handsome as you, of course."

"That was my foul rat of a brother."  he fumed.

"Archer?"  I queried.

"When he found out Isabella was his sister and the sheriff of Nottingham, he was ready to give Robin and me over to her men.  But it went against him and we all were sent to hang."

"And just in time Tuck and John and everyone else came to the rescue."  I rejoiced.

"Something like that." he replied.

" We must bring Robin into this." I said. "He should know, too."

"Yes, we should, but we still must use the tunnel.  It is the only way in."

We were headed for camp when we saw Tuck and John returning from Locksley, empty handed. A loud clap of thunder sounded, as if foreboding something ominous was about to take place.

Much was saying, frantically, "Kate!  She's gone!"

Robin said, "She has a family to protect, and we have a castle to take!"               

John ran over to Allan and took hold of him by the throat, calling him a 'traitor' and a 'Judas'.

"What did you tell them?"  He shouted.

"Tuck said, "It's all over Nottingham.  Allan's been pardoned by the sheriff for services rendered."

John still had Allan in his grip.  I knew I had to say something, but I waited to see what Robin would do.

"John, let him go." Robin said.  John obeyed the command and released him.

Allan was near tears. "I haven't done anything."  he said.

"Come on."  Tuck said to John, leading him away. Robin was peering intently at Allan.

"I haven't betrayed you." he cried. 

Allan looked to each member of the group.

"Much?"

Much looked to Robin with uncertainty.

Allan turned to Guy, and Guy shrugged.

Now it was time for me to step in. I slapped Guy on the arm, knowing that Allan once worked for

him.

"All of you, listen!" I said. "Do you really think Allan would do this to you again?"

I gave Guy a stern look, then said, "Isabella is crafty.  Could she have contrived this to make you all suspect Allan?"

"Why would she do that?"  John asked, still angry.

"Have you never heard the phrase 'Divide and conquer'?" I asked.  "She could be doing this to upset your plans and make everyone suspicious of each other to weaken your forces."

"You think I sold you out to help myself?"  Allan asked, sadly.

"You've done that before!" Much said, emphatically.

I spoke up again.  "Haven't you been listening to a word I said?  Think about it.  Guy, would Isabella do something like this?"

"It does seem like something she would do."  Guy agreed.

"Robin, you know her, maybe even better than Guy." I said. I knew Robin and she had a thing for each other at one time, because Guy told me about all that transpired before Robin and Guy found out about their brother.

"Would she do this?" I continued.

"Yes."  Robin answered.  "I believe she would."

Breathing a sigh of relief, my mind screamed, 'You did it!  You stopped Allan from being killed!' But I couldn't relax just yet.  I still had to tell Robin about the tunnel.

While John and Tuck were making ready to go to the castle to stop the convoy, I took Robin aside, and Guy followed.

"You can't use the tunnel."  I said quietly.

"Why not?" asked Robin.

Guy replied, "Because Isabella has it rigged.  It's a trap."

Looking at me, Robin asked, "And just how do you know it's a trap?"

I explained about how I snuck into the castle and overheard Isabella making plans with a young man.

"Archer." Robin said. "Do you believe this, Guy?"

Turning to Robin, with his arms folded across his chest, Guy said, "I do."

There was more thunder, and a light rain began to fall.

"Why would Archer want to help Isabella?" asked Robin, but he knew the answer before it was given.

"Money."  Both Robin and Guy said at the same time.

"We must go in that way. There is no other route."   Robin insisted.

I knew he would say that, so I had figured out a way to tell them about the step that triggers the trap door. Much's document, very explicitly, described how the door came down.

"I heard Archer tell Isabella how the trap works.  He said there is a stone in the floor, and when stepped on, triggers the trap doors to close."

With a sense of confidence, I continued, "All you have to do is walk in a straight line, each behind the other, down the right or left side of the floor.  Do not  go down the middle.  That is where the step is."

I could sense Robin's gaze on me the whole time I spoke.  He must have thought I was telling the truth.

"Yeah?"  Robin asked, as he looked at Guy.

"Yes."  Guy replied."

"Then let's do this thing." Robin stated.

He then went over to Tuck and John and told them they needed to stop the supply train leaving, or they will all fail. They both nodded in agreement.

"It's down to you to stop the convoy, no matter what!"  declared Robin.  

He went on to say this may be the last time they would see each other.  As they were all saying their farewells, I led Guy off to the side.

"Thou must take great care." I held back my tears.  Guy put his hand to the back of my head, and kissing my forehead, he replied, "I will."  I hugged him closely.  Then he was off with Robin and Much. They went one way and Tuck and John went the other.

Making my way back, I saw Allan, loading up with bow and arrows. He began strapping on his sword.

"Allan. will you come with me to find Kate?"  I asked.

"You heard Robin." he replied "She has her family to think of."

"I think she left because she was upset about something."  

I knew that she would return because Much"s document said that she and Archer pulled the trap door open and saved the three.  I needed her around just in case they did get trapped.

"I saw something out there," he pointed to the west, "and I want to check it out. You go. She's probably still in Locksley." he said.

"All right," I replied, "but do be careful."

"Women," Allan laughed, "You worry too much."

Before I sought out Kate, I retrieved my tartan from my backpack, and putting it across my shoulder, I pinned it to my armor with the broach of my clan's crest.  I braided my hair on both sides of my head.  It's too bad I didn't have some paint, as I thought about  'Braveheart',  my dad's favorite movie.

I was ready to go.

Kate was nowhere to be found in Locksley.  I went to her mother and asked if she had seen her.

"She was here," Rebecca said.  "I told her a lie about how Robin and Isabella were lovers. It was Isabella's idea.  I just wanted to keep my daughter out of any trouble."  

"Rebecca, where is she now?"  I asked gently, for I could see she was hurting.

"I suppose she's gone back to Robin. I had to tell Kate the truth when I realized how much she loved Robin."  Tears fell from her eyes.

I hugged her saying, "She'll be fine . Robin will take care of her." I turned and ran toward the castle thinking  Kate might go there.

When I arrived at the castle, I saw all of Locksley's men sitting in front of the gate with Tuck and John at the front.

Isabella shot an arrow at Tuck, piercing his shoulder, but he didn't move.

She shouted, "Cut them down!"

Suddenly, I saw Kate running up to the men. I was only a short distance behind her.  She walked right up to a soldier and held out her sword.

"Go on then. Start with me!"  she yelled."  Then, softly, she said, " Kill an innocent girl."

I was walking up between the men as she was saying this.

"Make that two," I shouted, holding out my sword.

Clenching her teeth, Isabella seethed, "Do it or die!"

The soldier raised his sword, but a dart-like object hit him in the back, and he fell to the ground. I looked up to see where the dart had come from.

A tall, handsome young man was unsheathing two swords.  With both swords slashing, he jumped into the fray.  Archer, I thought.  The battle began!

The best I could do was to ward off blows, but I managed to stab a soldier in the arm.  Pulling out my sword, I cried, "Who's next?"  and was slashing and stabbing mostly at air but it kept me from any blows.

Kate and I made it to the gates as John and Tuck were leading the men of Locksley closer to the castle.  They were making headway.  The soldiers were being kept away from the castle gates.

The tall, young man ran up to us, gave me a questioning look, then said to Kate, "We need to save Robin!"

I didn't see Robin, Much or Guy anywhere.  This must have meant they didn't make it out of the tunnel.  I ran as fast as i could, trying to keep up with Kate and Archer.  We ran down the stairs into the tunnel.  

Archer yelled, "Kate, get that rope!"

"What's in there?" Kate asked.

"Robin, Guy and Much," I said, while shooting a dirty look at Archer.

He lifted Kate up and she grabbed onto the rope.

"I've got it." she said, with desperation in her voice.

"Pull it!" Archer exclaimed.

Kate pulled on the rope as Archer was pulling her down.  He continued to pull the rope. The door lifted up and limestone came sliding out.  In the limestone I could make out three figures.  Kate ran to Robin, brushing the limestone from his face and mouth.  Archer helped Guy up, and I ran over to him.  He was breathing heavily.  Then Archer pulled Much out and tried to help him stand.

Taking Guy's face in my hands, I asked, "You stepped on the stone, didn't you?"

"No." Guy replied, sounding annoyed and still trying to catch his breath.  "It was that fool, Much!."

In Much's letter he said Guy stepped on the stone, so I changed a little bit of history.

"Je suis beaucoup plus heureux que tu ne sois pas mort!" I am pleased you are not dead! I exclaimed, kissing him. 

"As am I." he replied.

A similar activity was taking place between Kate and Robin.  She was telling him that Isabella had planted her locket on Robin to make it look like she was Robin's one true love.  That wasthe object Guy threw on the bunk.

Archer spoke, "The entrance to the castle is blocked.  Follow me."

We ran through the tunnel and up into the castle.  Kate ran on ahead of us.  I pulled Archer by the arm.  He turned to look at me, and I crooked my finger to gesture him to bend down.  When he did, I gave him a left hook.  It didn't knock him down, but his lip bled profusely.

Touching it gently, he asked, "Who are you, and why did you hit me?"

"That's for turning against your brothers!"  Then I ran off down the hall.

When we caught up to Kate, we found she and Isabella fighting.  Kate had Isabella by the throat up against the wall.  Robin strode forward holding the locket.

"I believe this is yours."  he said, dangling it in front of her.

"It's over, Isabella."

Kate released her with a shove.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 152 24
"Here is the first part of my short(ish) story about the wonderful Sir Guy of Gisborne. I have written it because I always felt he was a bit shortcha...
937 16 16
I'm back once again with my 5TH BOOK .. honestly how do I even find time to write this many 😭 Anyway , welcome back y'all and I hope you're ready fo...
2.7K 71 25
A Sir Guy of Gisborne story. Loosely based on the BBC story of Robin Hood, using characters that I have grown attached to. I own no rights to the BBC...
2.6M 70.7K 49
COMPLETED BUT EDITING ~~~~🌸~~~~ "Look who joined us boys. If it isn't the GG herself." I rolled my eyes and taped my hands as one of the annoying j...