The Bird and the Garden 2: Re...

Από SecretMinty

The second book of The Bird and the Garden, taking place after the Good Ending. With Y/N and Vao's lives havi... Περισσότερα

Chapter 1: New Beginnings
Chapter 2: It Lives
Chapter 3: Beacon
Chapter 4: The Initiation
Character Introductions
Chapter 6: Class
Chapter 7: Shadows Creep
Chapter 8: It Begins
Chapter 9: The Murder
Chapter 10: Revelation
Chapter 11: Recovery
Chapter 12: Upcoming Events
Chapter 13: The School Dance
Chapter 14: The Club
Chapter 15: Forbidden Knowledge
Chapter 16: Verde's Secret
Chapter 17: There Will Be Bloodshed
Chapter 18: Kill
Chapter 19: Uncovered Truths
Chapter 20: The Beginning
Chapter 21: Innsmaw
Chapter 22: Insanity
Chapter 23: Vytal Festival
Chapter 24: Paradise
Chapter 25: Calm Before the Storm
Chapter 26: Vao Versus Ruby
Chapter 27: Nightmares
Chapter 28: Rain Over Innsmaw
Chapter 29: Withdrawn
Chapter 30: Escape
Chapter 31: Making a Mistake
Chapter 32: Hell
Chapter 33: Everything is Wrong
Chapter 34: Fugitives
Chapter 35: Interview
Chapter 36: Vale News Department
Chapter 37: Lisa Lavender
Chapter 38: Sasha, Part One
Chapter 39: Sasha, Part Two
Chapter 40: Questions
Chapter 41: Memories
Chapter 42: The Training, Part One
Chapter 43: The Training, Part Two
Chapter 44: War on Vale
Chapter 45: Salem, Part One
Chapter 46: Salem, Part Two
Chapter 47: Salem, Part Three
Chapter 48: Evil's Reality
Scrapped Ideas
Epilogue: Don't Leave Me

Chapter 5: A New Life

169 7 26
Από SecretMinty

And finally, we get into Team FRSB's new life in Beacon.

Things are beginning to get going. Ruby's sickness is beginning to resurface as Salem tries relentlessly to take her body. How long can Ruby fight? How long will it be before she inevitably snaps under the lullaby of darkness?

Y/N is growing more and more worried about his sister's well-being. She's already getting on the wrong side of people. But with his new teammates at his side, he feels comforted that there are people who would be willing to help him.

But there's another problem - after the attack at the initiation, Ozpin has grown suspicious. Ozpin getting involved would mean Salem needs to be careful with Ruby.

What good could come from Ruby's cruel fate as the host of all things wrong with the world?

Nothing good will come of it, surely.

...

When Y/N woke up the day after the initiation, he was well rested. He sat up in his bed, stretching his arms. Verde was painting at her desk quietly, and Sasha was in the kitchen area cooking something. Y/N swung his legs over the edge of his bed, enjoying the silence. For once, Vao was being... Quiet.

Y/N's eyes widened in horror. Slowly his head turned, only to find his older brother's bed empty and desolate. He looked around the room frantically, but there was no sign of Vao.

"H-hey, Verde..." Y/N stammered.

"What is it?" The team leader asked, not looking up from her work. Y/N gulped, visibly sweating. He was beginning to grow fearful. "Where's Vao...?"

Verde pointed at the door. "He left a little while ago. He went to explore, I think."

Y/N relaxed a bit. There was nothing wrong with Vao just walking around. As long as he wasn't late.

"Oh, he also said he was going to be late for class. He might be out drinking."

"First thing in the morning..." Y/N muttered. Vao never changed. He stood up, stretching his back and moving to the bathroom to do his daily routine. As he was brushing his teeth, he called Vao. If he was heading to Vale, Y/N wanted him to pick up some food. The scroll rang for a while before someone picked up.

{Yeah?}

"Vao, it's Y/N. Can you pick up some groceries while you're out? And at least try to be on time."

{Okay. After I see my old buddy Junior. It's been a while; last time we saw each other was when my mom took me to his place on my birthday.}

At least Vao was being reasonable. Y/N spat out a mouthful of toothpaste. "Thanks. Stay safe."

{That Jaune kid wanted to hang out with me for some reason, so I'll be driving us back to school. Tell his team where he's at. Bye.}

"Wait, Vao don't get in the car!" Y/N shrieked. But it was too late; Vao had already hung up. The katana wielder sighed sadly. He really didn't want to clean up Vao's mess today. He stepped out of the bathroom, glancing at the clock. They had about half an hour before classes. Sasha stepped out of the kitchen, a plate of eggs in her hands. She had to bend down to fit through the door way - again, Y/N felt very short compared to her. He could hardly imagine how Verde felt.

"I'm going over to see RWBY. I'll catch you guys in class," Y/N said. Sasha threw up a peace sign while Verde ignored him completely, entranced by her painting.

The hallways were bustling when Y/N stepped into the corridor. Students mingling and talking, the ruckus of dozens of voices mixed together reaching his ears. He walked down the hall, knocking on the wooden door.

Silence. He knocked again, and this time someone answered. It was that quiet girl with the bow. Y/N couldn't remember her name; they hadn't talked at all.

"Can I help you?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'm looking for Yang and Ruby."

She stared at him like an alien before closing the door. Shortly after, Yang answered. "Hey, Y/N! What's up?"

"Was wondering if you guys wanted to walk to class together. Without Vao, because he's currently trying to get a DUI."

Yang nodded. "Yeah, I'll go. Ruby can't come either, though."

That struck Y/N's curiosity. "Is something wrong with Ruby?"

Yang looked back in the room. "... She's sick. One of the teachers told her to take the day off, but..."

"But what?"

Yang looked worried. She glanced back again before stepping out of the room, closing the door behind her. "Let's... Find somewhere quiet, yeah?"

Y/N did not like this. Talking alone never meant anything good. But regardless, he followed Yang down the halls, the herd of students thinning until they were the only ones. And still she kept walking.

They were outside before Y/N knew it. The sun was shining brightly in a cloudless blue sky, and a gentle breeze ruffled his hair. "Yang?" He finally said. "What's wrong with Ruby? Is her fever high?"

Yang shook her head. "No... She's as cold as ice. Last night... She was hunched over the toilet, puking out this weird black goo. It was... Gross."

"Black... Goo...?" Y/N was reminded of the time Ruby was sick before Beacon. Could it be the same stuff?

"Yeah," Yang confirmed. "And it smelled awful. Worse than that one time Uncle Qrow stink bombed your house." She sighed, leaning against the wall. "I'm getting really worried, Y/N. That stuff, it... felt wrong to look at. I think she needs a doctor."

"Then we take her," Y/N said firmly. "Today, when we get the chance."

Yang looked at him, all of her usual goofiness absent in her lilac gaze. "We tried that last night, but she refused. Blake tried to get close, but Ruby bit her. When I tried to say something, she just started screaming at me. Told me to mind my own business and butt out of hers... It kinda hurt, given how close we all were growing up."

Yang seemed genuinely offended - a rare sight, given how she never took anything seriously. Y/N leaned forward. Something she had said caught his attention. "Ruby... Bit someone?"

Yang nodded. "Yeah. She bit Blake's thumb. Didn't you see it when she answered the door?"

"I... Wasn't paying attention."

"There's teeth marks on her hand. You'll have to sneak a peek when we get to class," Yang said. Y/N felt his mind go blank. He looked down at his scroll, distraught evident on his face.

"Y-Yang... We're half an hour late for class..."

...

Jaune followed Vao through the mall, watching as the drunkard took a quiet sip from his flask while his backpack bounced lightly on his shoulders. The blonde looked at his feet nervously, sweat dripping down his forehead. "H-hey, uh..."

Vao turned around. "What?"

"Do you... Maybe want to eat somewhere?"

Vao nodded. "Sure, I know a place my buddy runs. We can go after we're done here."

What exactly they were doing at the mall was beyond Jaune. Vao unexpectedly stopped and refused to elaborate. He didn't seem to be interested in shopping; he passed most of the stores without a second glance, and seemed to have some sort of purpose. Like he was looking for something specific.

But Jaune didn't really care. Why's that? Because he though Vao was a girl. Suddenly they stopped in front of a small store. The windows were blacked out, and the door was shut. From the sign, Jaune could tell it was a smoke shop.

"Um... Smoking is really bad for you," Jaune commented.

"That's why I don't smoke, genius. Alcohol tastes better anyway," Vao retorted. But that only confused Jaune even more. "Wait, then why are we here?"

Vao didn't look at Jaune. "Stay here, don't come inside. Even if you hear something."

"Wait, why?"

But Vao ignored him completely, disappearing inside the dark store and closing the door gently behind him. Jaune sighed, leaning against the wall side of the shop. "I swear, I'll never understand girls..." He muttered.

CRASH!

Jaune nearly fainted at the sound that came from the store. It sounded like something had been broken. He wanted to investigate, but he vividly remembered Vao telling him not to do that. He didn't have much time to dwell on the decision though. Less than five minutes later, Vao stepped back outside the shop.

"Okay, let's go get something to eat!"

Jaune glanced inside. The inside of the shop was completely wrecked; the counter had been smashed to pieces, the cash register busted and opened, not a single lien bill or coin to be found. Laying face down on the counter was an unconscious man. The shelves behind him was clearly once used to display merchandise, but most of it was missing now. Jaune reached over and shut the door. He was going to pretend he did not see someone just commit a robbery.

"What are you waiting for? Let's go!" Vao called. Jaune nodded, jogging to catch up with him.

He was wondering if this was the type of girl his mother had warned him about - the type who caused nothing but trouble. So far, he had seen Vao drink an absurd amount of vodka, swear more times in one sentence than a drunken sailor, nearly crash during the drive from Beacon, and then just watched a felony unfold before his eyes.

Vao opened the door and climbed inside, tossing his backpack into the backseat and thrusting the key into the ignition. The car rumbled to life and began to pull away just as Jaune got both his feet inside.

"... So, uh..." Jaune fumbled awkwardly. "D-do you have any plans this weekend?"

"Yeah, I'm gonna be at my part-time job. I'm free like, Sunday evening I think. I'm probably just gonna be drinking again, though. Maybe with Cardin."

Jaune frowned. Were him and Cardin a thing? "So Cardin's like, your boyfriend?"

Vao laughed loudly, his foot going flat against the ground as the light switched from green to yellow. Once again, Jaune nearly screamed as his life flashed before his eyes. "No, I'm not going out with Cardin. We're just friends and we drink. He's such a lightweight, though..." Vao muttered the last part quietly, and Jaune was pretty certain he wasn't supposed to hear that.

"I... See..." Jaune had nothing more to talk about. He hated his social anxiety, and really wished he could keep the conversation going. But Vao saved the day.

"So why'd you come to Beacon?"

"H-huh? Oh, it's sort of like a family legacy thing. I just kind of wish my weapon was as cool as yours..."

"Believe me on this one, your weapon fucking sucks, bruv."

Vao was laughing. He's an asshole. Jaune felt bullied. "That's not very nice!" He protested. He immediately regret his decision. She probably thought he was a wimp. Vao just snickered.

"Aw, don't be like that. Don't take anything I say to heart; I'm just a dick."

Jaune nodded. Perhaps he still had a chance. He figured now was his time to shoot his shot. "Hey... Your hair is beautiful..." He was honestly surprised he said it without a stutter. Confidence filled him - and then anxiety as he began to wonder if he'd mess up on the next sentence.

Vao grinned. "Thanks, I take good care of it. Though, my brother gives me shit for letting it be this long...."

Jaune didn't understand that. Girls typically had long hair. "Y/N? He can't control that! If you want long hair, then you can have long hair!"

"Thank you!" Vao cried happily. "Bruv, I've the feeling we're gonna be chums." The car screeched to a halt, nearly sending Jaune flying through the windshield. Vao had slammed on the brakes, somehow perfectly fitting into a parking spot. "We're here. Go wait inside, but don't go in. You'll probably get shot."

"Okay- wait, run that by me again?"

Vao groaned, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "Go wait by the door, but don't go inside. We're in the shadiest part of town, and the club isn't open until after noon - they don't know you, so you'll get shot if I don't go in first."

Jaune felt sweat rolling down the back of his neck. "I-Is this a safe place to eat!?"

Vao nodded. "Yeah, I'm friends with the owner and his hot twin bodyguards. We're fine."

Jaune didn't ask anything else. He figured now was probably the time to shut his mouth and just do as he was told. He actually began to question if getting shot was worth getting a date with this girl. Vao closed the doors, slinging his backpack over his shoulders and locking the vehicle. He walked past the blonde, flashing him a wink. Jaune felt really tingly inside, the blood rushing to his face.

"W-worth it..." He whispered to himself.

Vao pushed open the doors, Jaune following close behind. He was in some sort of nightclub. All around were large men in matching suits, all with weapons drawn and aimed at Vao. The drunkard looked very cross.

"Are you fucking kidding me? It's Vao, you morons!" He shouted. One of the men lowered his weapon.

"Ah... Sawrry 'bout that." The others followed their cohort's gesture, quickly apologizing before going back to what they were doing. Vao guided Jaune to a glass bar, sitting down in one of the stools. As Jaune sat next to him, another large man appeared. This one had a beard, and easily dwarfed Vao.

"... Oh. Did you bring the..." The man looked, no, glared at Jaune. "The thing."

Vao nodded, tossing him the backpack. "Sure did, Boss. Everything he owed. Nabbed some... Goods, while I was at it."

"Good, good. I knew I could trust you. Now, who's this twig?"

Jaune gulped when the attention was turned to him. Vao saved his ass once again. "Jaune, some kid who wanted to hang out with me. It should be fine - he saw nothing."

Now Vao was glaring at him. Jaune, sweaty and scared, shrugged his shoulders. "W-what are you t-talking about?"

Vao beamed. "See? He's cool. You can relax, Junior."

Junior sighed, running a hand through his short black hair. "I hope so... I'd hate to see you get in trouble at Beacon, Vao. You're one of my best men, after all."

Jaune froze. Junior's words echoed through his head, clouding his thoughts. Shakily he raised his hand. The twin bodyguards looked at him, dumbfounded.

"You're in a bar. The hell are you raising your hand for?" The one in white asked. Jaune lowered his hand, hoping he was wrong.

"U-um... Vao?"

"What's up, mate?"

"Are you... Er... A girl?"

Vao went bright red in the face, slamming his mug of vodka down in fury. "I'm a Dust damned man! You making fun of my appearance, blondy!?"

Jaune flinched, a wail of terror escaping his lungs. He didn't realize Vao was the same gender as him. Not just that, but Vao could be scary when he was drunk.

"Calm down, Vao. It's not his fault that no one can tell you're a dude," Junior said calmly. Vao groaned, taking another sip from his beverage.

"I guess you're right... Hey, blondy."

"U-uh! Yes?"

"You a homophobe?" Vao's tone was serious, and everyone was looking at Jaune. Even the ones behind him, who had pointed their weapons the moment they walked in.

"No," Jaune answered honestly. "I just thought you were a girl, is all. I'm straight."

Vao nodded. "I was just makin' sure. If you were homophobic, I was gonna beat the fuck out of ya mate."

Jaune was glad he answered correctly. As they talked together, Jaune got to know Junior and his bodyguards a bit. As it turned out, he actually had a bit of fun. He didn't order any alcohol like Vao, but he was still enjoying himself. Eventually Vao glanced at his scroll.

"Hey Miltia, what does this say?"

The one in red, now named Miltia, looked over the counter at the screen. "... Eleven o' clock."

Vao grinned like an idiot. "We fuckin' missed first period. Joy."

Jaune looked at him nervously. "W-wait, we were here that long!? We need to get back to school!" He cried. Vao waved his hand in the air.

"I know, I know. I'll just use my Semblance to get there." He looked at Junior. "Hey, Boss. Can you watch my car for me? Just until I come back tonight."

"Yeah, I'll keep it safe."

"Cool, thanks. Jaune, hold my hand."

Jaune took Vao's hand, and in an instant they vanished into a dusty mist.

...

Y/N sat down at the desk with his teammates, sighing out of exhaustion. His first period teacher had been a round man named Port. The entire class had been filled with Port telling stories about how masculine and strong he was, and Y/N had fallen asleep twice.

The current teacher was not present at the time. The desk sat abandoned, a few papers scattered here and there. The class was called 'environments and strategies', a class Y/N had been kind of excited for. It would include forming strategies in the heat of battle, and using the environment to their advantage while becoming aware that the enemy could do the same thing.

The door burst open, and in strode Vao and Jaune. The blonde was sweating bullets, having run down the halls to make it to class. But Vao had his flask in his hand, swallowing his drink in large gulps.

"Told ya we'd make it!"

"You took us to the courtyard! We had to run up three flights of stairs!"

"Correction; you ran up three flights of stairs. I took the elevator."

Y/N watched as Jaune's team crowded around him, the redhead from the initiation scolding him harshly for missing first period. Vao took his seat next to his brother, grinning like a villain.

"Damn, poor guy. He's getting yelled at for being late."

"Just you wait until we get back to our room," Y/N growled. Vao stopped talking, looking down at his desk in terror. Y/N scowled, turning to Verde. "Can you help me control this alcoholic femboy?"

Verde was focusing on her scroll. It looked like she was texting someone. "... At least he showed up to class," she murmured distantly. "He could have just not gone today."

Y/N hated to admit that she was right. "But he didn't come to our first class! On the first day!" He whined. Sasha just chuckled.

"He's fine. He didn't miss much."

"Fuck," Vao cursed. "Then what was the point of skipping class?"

Y/N was about to shout at his brother for being a delinquent on purpose, but the sound of the door opening stopped him. An older man strode into the classroom, a bright smile on his face as he stopped in front of the chalkboard.

He was a Faunus. A thin, but lean man with scorpion's tail protruded from his waist. He had dark brown hair tied into a ponytail that resembled the arachnid's stinger, and piercing yellow eyes. He seemed happy just to be in class.

"Good morning!" He greeted cheerfully. He stepped up to Vao and snatched his flask out of his lips. "Welcome to my class, and there will be no alcohol."

Vao looked ready to throw a tantrum. "Hey, gimme that back! I wasn't finished!"

"You can have it back if you ask nicely."

"Then can I please have it back, sir?"

The teacher walked back to his desk, dropping it in a drawer. "After class. This is important, and there is no need for alcohol. It'll be fun!"

Vao growled, trying to stand up. But Y/N grabbed his brother by the shoulder and forced him back down. "Just a damn hour, Vao..." He hissed under his breath. "And don't fight the professor... I don't want to drag you to the infirmary..."

Vao didn't say anything, but it was clear he was fuming. The teacher scribbled down his name on the chalkboard, his tail swishing behind him. When he finished, he turned around. "My name is Professor Callows! Welcome to Environments and Strategies!"

"I'm gonna need a fucking callows to get through this..." Vao grumbled. "Wait, I meant gallows..."

"Cheer up. It's not the end of the world," Yang consoled him from behind. Professor Callows walked forward, halting in front of the class.

"I'm going to choose a volunteer from the class! Any takers?"

"Take my fucking life," Vao hissed. Professor Callows picked something up from his desk and hurled it at the drunk, striking him in the forehead and knocking him to the floor. When Y/N looked down, it was a piece of chalk, and it had been thrown hard enough to put Vao out like a light.

"I don't appreciate negativity..." Callows muttered. He pointed at Y/N. "You, sir. Come forward!"

Y/N sighed, stepping over Vao's unconscious body and stepping up to his teacher. Professor Callows was taller than Y/N, and he wondered if this was how Verde felt around everyone else.

"Okay, you're in a warehouse filled with explosives and the White Fang. What should you do?"

Y/N thought about it for a moment. Deciding on an answer, he looked back up at Callows. "Blow up the explosives?"

"Congratulations, you got yourself killed!" He announced. "You are also in the warehouse." He started drawing a sketch of the battlefield on the chalkboard, of the scenario he had just given.

"As I just said, this aspiring Huntsman was in the warehouse with the White Fang. The warehouse contained explosives, and he chose to ignite them." He scrawled a large X over the chalkboard. "He effectively destroyed the White Fang, but also himself. The best thing to have done would have been to engage in melee combat; a stray ranged attack could possibly ignite the explosives. Or, he could have called for assistance and played the defensive until reinforcements arrived - as I said, ranged is not a great idea; the White Fang would have been focused on melee attacks first."

"O-oh..." Y/N felt stupid now. The Faunus professor turned to him.

"Tell me, what is your name?"

"Y/N Rose, sir."

"Get on the ground, you're injured."

Y/N obeyed, lying on the floor. Professor Callows pointed at Weiss. "Your fellow Hunter has fallen! Save him!"

Weiss clearly had not been expecting to be chosen. She scrambled to run to Y/N, but Professor Callows shot her with a finger gun. "Pew pew! You're dead!"

"Wha!? How!?"

Professor Callows smiled again. He was clearly enjoying this. "It is a high possibility that not all White Fang soldiers were in the warehouse when it exploded. Mr. Rose could have snuck inside; I never said he fought his way in."

Weiss begrudgingly laid down next to Y/N. Vao was just waking up, and Professor Callows pointed his finger at him. "You! Save your friends!"

Vao walked over. He didn't run, he just walked.

"Vroom! You got hit by a car because you didn't look both ways before crossing the street!"

Vao scratched his head, his head still scrambled from being knocked out. "Wha... That happened last week, bruv..."

Professor Callows looked concerned. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah?"

"Then get on the floor, you're dead."

Vao fell forward, faceplanting into the ground like a sack of potatoes. The teacher clapped. "Marvelous death performance! You would make a great actor!"

"... My liver hurts... Need... Vodka..."

No one paid attention to Vao. The teacher pointed at Cardin. "Save them! Quickly! Mr. Rose is severely burned, the lady is bleeding, and the other one is suffering from broken ribs!"

Cardin vaulted over his desk like a ninja, charging forward.

"Vroom! You didn't look both ways, either!"

"HOW IS THAT FAIR!?"

"No rest on the battlefield! You're dead!"

Cardin slumped down next to Vao. He pointed at Yang. "Clock is ticking! They don't have much time left!"

Yang ran forward, looked both ways, and then started shadow boxing her way to her downed allies. She didn't want to die. But Professor Callows had a plan.

"Sniper!"

"A what now!?"

"BANG! You died!"

Yang laid down. Professor Callows clicked his tongue. "Five casualties! Who will save them?" He looked around the room. He pointed at Blake. "You!"

Blake ran forward, looked both ways, shadow boxed, and ducked, crawling to Y/N. She placed his hands on his chest and pushed - not hard, but in a way of mimicking CPR. Professor Callows looked disappointed.

"He is suffering from burns, ma'am. Not breathing issues."

"O-oh..."

Professor Callows pulled up a finger gun. "Pew pew! You took too long! You're dead!"

Blake dropped down. Jaune was next. He died almost immediately because he forgot to look both ways. Professor Callows put his hands on his hips, looking around the classroom. "... Can anyone save them?"

"Wait, my liver actually hurts!" Vao shrieked. He was clutching his stomach, his eyes wide with agony. Professor Callows clapped again.

"Stupendous performance! Pretending to die isn't easy!"

"Fucking help me!"

He pointed at Ruby. "The one in red!"

Ruby growled under her breath. She didn't want to die like the others. But she stood up, preparing to run in.

{"So this is where Tyrian ended up... I should have figured. Before I poisoned him with my blood, he aspired to be a Huntsman, and take down people like his father..."}

Ruby ignored it's voice, but Salem spoke again.

{"Allow me to take control... I'll help you survive."}

"Not a chance in hell."

The entire classroom fell silent. Professor Callows looked genuinely shocked. "So you won't save your friends?"

{"Don't speak to me out loud, fool! Let me take control. I'll fix this."}

Ruby ran forward, ignoring Salem. She looked both ways, then leaped across the classroom. She threw her punches at invisible enemies before drawing her own finger gun. "Pew! Sniper down!"

Professor Callows beamed. "Yes, yes! Keep going!"

Ruby internally grinned at the praise. She didn't need Salem. She rolled over to Y/N, keeping low to the ground as she crawled towards her brother. She pretended to pull something out of a pocket. "Powdered Ice Dust! Only small amounts to soothe the burns!" She cried.

"YES!" The Faunus professor was practically hopping with joy. Ruby pretended to wrap a bandage around Weiss before crawling towards Vao.

"Straighten out the victim, ensure no broken bones pierce anything important! Send him to Alcoholics Anonymous!"

Professor Callows was pumping his arms. "Yes, the AA meeting is a crucial step!"

"I think I'm dying! I can't feel my waist!" Vao screeched. Ruby pet his head gently. "You'll be okay now, Vao."

"I'm not playing this time!"

But once again, Vao was ignored. Ruby straightened out Cardin's body, and then moved to Yang. Like Weiss, she pretended to wrap invisible bandages around her. She stood up, sprinting towards Jaune.

"BANG BANG BANG! YOU DIED!"

Ruby looked at the teacher in horror. "Huh!?"

"I never said there was only one sniper! There was three more in hiding, and when you stood up you gave away your location! Get down!" This continued until there was nobody left in the classroom. With everyone on the floor, Professor Callows sighed.

"... We have a lot to learn... I expected half the class to die, but all of you? For shame, for shame!" He walked back to the chalkboard, leaning against it. "Return to your seats, now. The White Fang won."

Everyone shuffled back to their desks, Vai still lying on the ground. Y/N dragged his brother by the ankles, helping him sit down. Vao grabbed his brother's wrist weakly.

"I... I need medical attention..."

"Shut up, Vao. Your liver acts up once a month."

Professor Callows sighed, erasing the board and setting the chalk down. "Okay, new scenario. Y/N, may I use you again? And you too Ms...?"

"Weiss Schnee," the heiress answered.

Y/N and Weiss stood back up, walking to the front of the class. Professor Callows smiled again. "Okay, so you're in a forest, right? A thick, heavy forest. It's a scorching hot day, no humidity. You're surrounded by Grimm, you only have your weapons and Fire Dust. What do you do?"

Y/N was about to answer, but Weiss clamped a hand over his mouth and leaned to his ear. "Don't say anything about the Dust. A dry forest can catch on fire," she whispered. Y/N nodded, thinking of a different tactic.

Using their weapons without Dust would make the Grimm hard to kill. "Should we climb a tree then? Wait for reinforcements?"

"Good idea!"

Weiss and Y/N turned to their teacher. "We climb a tree and call for back up," she answered. Professor Callows clapped.

"Wonderful! Stand on my desk, that's your tree."

The two climbed on top of the furniture piece, sitting down on its surface. Professor Callows grinned. "Okay, while you wait, what should you be doing?"

"Fir-"

Again, Weiss stopped Y/N from blurting out his answer. "No! No bullets! We only have Fire Dust!"

Y/N was grateful Weiss had just saved them from dying again. "We wait it out, sir," he answered. Tyrian nodded.

"Yes. As stated earlier, you only have Fire Dust. You'll risk setting the forest on fire, and then you'll be trapped in the tree." He pointed at Vao and Verde. "You two save them. Because you are reinforcements, you have Ice Dust with you."

"I shoot a rocket from my weapon," Vao answered. Verde nodded, agreeing with his answer. Tyrian beamed.

"Yes! Ice Dust to freeze the Grimm!"

Vao raised his hand. "Can I go to the nurse? My liver really hurts..."

"Liver failure! You're dead!"

"You gotta be kidding..." Vao laid down on the ground. Y/N and Weiss hopped off the desk, joining Verde and carrying Vao back to his seat. Tyrian seemed pleased.

"This is how it should have been done. Sadly, this is all we have for today, class is over. Ma'am, you may take your alcoholic beverage back." Tyrian held out the flask, letting Vao snatch it back.

"I'm not a ma'am, I'm a dude. And my name is Vao," he grumbled. Tyrian bowed his head.

"Apologies. Mr. Rose, Ms. Schnee?"

Both students looked up from their desk. Tyrian gave them a thumbs up. "Amazing teamwork! Devising a strategy in the heat o battle is not easy, especially when any mistake could kill you! You did well!"

Y/N felt happy about the praise. Weiss just grinned. "Of course I saved you, Y/N. You almost killed both of us!"

"Yeah, I couldn't have done it without you. You're amazing, Weiss."

Y/N hadn't meant for it to be sarcastic e or rude, and his tone proved that. Weiss turned red, her lips quivering in fury. "Don't say things like that, you dolt!"

"Aw great, what the fuck is this, some kind of anime?" Vao muttered under his breath as he passed them.

With the mood completely ruined, Y/N just walked away. Weiss followed him down the halls, making their way to the cafeteria.

"So..." Weiss began. She was staring out the windows. The sky had grown cloudy and grey, a depressing sight. It looked like it was going to rain. "... Have you talked to her yet?"

It didn't take a rocket scientist for Y/N to figure out who she was talking about. He shook his head. "It hasn't even been a day, Weiss. And Ruby is... Well, unapproachable at best."

"You're her brother," Weiss pointed out. "It shouldn't be too difficult."

Y/N looked down at the carpet, watching it roll by as he walked. "... I'm worried about her. She wasn't always this mean. It's... Concerning. And then there's the puke."

Weiss looked ahead, her face growing grim. "... It's black."

"Really, I thought I was seeing things," Y/N muttered sarcastically. A quick glare from Weiss changed his attitude. He sighed, his hands moving to his pockets. "... It feels wrong. And smells terrible, too. I've never seen anything like it..."

The sludge that would occasional come from Ruby's stomach. It had an eerie atmosphere, and it felt wrong to talk about. "I'll take her to the nurse tonight," Y/N answered. Weiss was silent. For once, she had no comments.

Behind them, down the hall and in one of the dorm rooms, something was happening...

...

Ruby stopped in front of her door. It was open slightly ajar, and she could hear someone moving around inside. She pushed it open softly, peering inside.

Vao and Cardin were inside, messing around with something. In their hands was a book, the one Blake kept under her pillow where she thought no one would find it. The window was open, the curtains swaying as the cold breeze blew into the room. Cardin was red in the face, but Vao just looked confused.

"I told ya she was hiding something," Vao was saying. "But what's up with that reaction? What's it say?"

The book was open, and Vao couldn't read the words. Cardin turned away from the pages, trying to hide his embarrassment. This wasn't a talk he wanted to have with Vao of all people. "It's... Erm..."

"Is it dirty?"

Cardin grumbled to himself. Vao was way too blunt with his words. "Yeah, it is. Look, I really don't want to discuss 'Ninjas of Love', dude."

"Wait, ninjas!? That sounds awesome! Read it to me!"

"Wrong type of ninjas, Vao!"

Ruby pushed the door all the way open, standing in the doorway. Cardin looked up in fear, but Vao just grinned. "Oh, hey Sis. What's up?"

"What the fuck are you doing in my room?"

It was a low and threatening tone. Ruby didn't want anyone here; not when her emotions were about to spiral. She had been keeping it pent up all day, and the bottle was about to burst. Cardin seemed to notice this. "A-ah, we were just leaving. See you after lunch!" He brushed past her, racing down the halls. But Vao remained.

He had that grin on his face. The grin that was a telltale sign he wanted to annoy someone. "What are you lookin' at?" He snickered. Ruby clenched her fists at her side. He needed to leave.

"Get out."

"No," Vao mocked. "I'm having fun. There's some pretty cool things in here; look!" He held up a video game cartridge. "I knew Yang took my copy of Dust Fighter. I'm wondering what else she took, so I'm going to keep exploring. I won't touch your stuff though, so don't worry."

That wasn't the point. Ruby stepped further into the room. Vao had his back turned, rummaging through one of the drawers near the window. He was pulling a few things out. "She took my favorite shirt... I blamed Y/N for that!" He whined.

{"What a nuisance..."} Salem murmured somewhere inside of Ruby. {"His confidence is irritating... An alcoholic loser has no need to be so pleased with himself..."}

"You're right," Ruby growled. From her lip, a thin line of spit was trickling down her chin. But the spit wasn't clear - it was black. Vao looked at her, not really seeming to understand.

"Eh? Right about what?"

Ruby closed the door, clicking the lock shut.  Vao turned back to the drawer. "If you want to talk to me, you don't have to be so creepy about it," he said. He pulled out a sweatshirt. "Hey, this has been missing for almost three years! What the hell, Yang!?"

{"Do you find him annoying, Ruby...?"}

"So annoying..."

Vao growled. "You don't need to say it out loud..." Ruby was getting closer to Vao. So close, he noticed. He turned around, a scowl crossing his feminine face. "Hey, ever heard of personal space?" He growled. But suddenly his face fell, draining of color. "Wha... What's with your eyes...?"

Ruby's eyes had darkened. A dark grey, so very close to black. The black sludge dripped from her nose, staining her pale skin. Vao took a step back, bumping into the drawer.

"You are one creepy kid, Ruby..." Suddenly he smiled. "Oh, I get it. It's a joke, right? Very funny, you got me."

As usual, Vao didn't recognize the danger he was in. He thought it was some sort of game.

{"I'm in control, now..."}

Ruby felt like she was drowning. Not in reality - but her soul. She felt the sinking feeling as she fell deeper into the thickness of the abyss, that sour and bitter, yet sweet darkness filling her lungs. Briefly, she could see the twisted amalgamation of Salem's eldritch face peering down at her, it's multiple mouths bearing a sinister snicker.

"You're the joke."

Vao didn't seem fazed by her insult. He actually seemed a bit angry. "Hey, knock that off. I'm gettin' real tired of your attitude, bruv. Stop trying to bully people."

Ruby was almost touching him now. Vao was uncomfortable. No one should be this close. "Get away fro- w-wha!?"

Ruby had pushed Vao. He stumbled, landing on top of the nightstand. "Hey, bitch! You wanna have a go!?" He screamed. But when he looked at Ruby's face, he felt his anger subside.

She was smiling. A malicious, evil smile as she glared down at him with hatred. She grabbed his hips, her smile stretching. Vao struggled to remove her hands. Her grip was hurting him. He didn't realize before that Ruby was so strong.

"Ge... Get the fuck offa me!"

One final push was all it took. Ruby pushed him as hard as she could. But over that nightstand was no wall - only the open window.

Vao felt the open air on his back, panic settling in. Flailing, his hand gripped the windowsill, saving him from plummeting to the ground. He was three stories in the air.

"Wai... Wait... Ruby, help me!" He begged. Ruby poked her head from the window, staring down at him. In her hand was Blake's book. Vao knew what she was going to do. He wanted to use his Semblance, but he couldn't. Not when his kind was addled with panic and terror.

{"Do it."}

Slam!

The book crushed Vao's fingers, the pain bringing him to a high pitched scream. But he didn't let go.

Slam!

Slam!

Slam!

His fingers were bruised. The pale skin had now become a dark purple, and yet he still hung on. He reached up, grabbing the windowsill with his other hand. He needed to climb back inside before he fell.

Ruby dropped the damaged book on the floor, her hands reaching for the window. With one swift pull, she slammed it shut as hard as she could. She heard the cracking of Vao's fingers as they broke, his grip finally releasing.

Vao fell through the air, his broken fingers still reaching for something to grab onto. But there was nothing. Now, he could only do one thing. He screamed at the top of his lungs, everything going black once he hit the ground.

...

Y/N and Weiss had just stepped outside when they heard the shrill scream, followed by the sound of something heavy hitting the ground. They looked to each other and then bolted towards the sound.

By the time the reached the area, a small crowd of students had already formed, but there was enough to block Y/N and Weiss from seeing what had happened. Professor Port was trying to hold back the concerned group.

"Everyone, keep your distance! Allow us to handle this!" He was shouting. Y/N began to push his way through the crowd, Weiss staying close behind him.

Something was wrong. So very wrong.

At first, he didn't believe what he saw. The blood swirling around his long, disheveled hair. His fingers, bent at wrong angles and twisted in places they shouldn't, dark purple and bleeding. His eyes shut gently as small, agonizing moans escaped his parted lips. Barely alive; saved only from his leg, which had snapped under his own weight. The bone jutted from his thigh, gleaming with a fresh coat of blood in the cold, cloudy air.

"O-oh... Oh, Dust..." Weiss gasped. Her hands were over her mouth, tears streaking down her face.

Y/N stepped forward, his face gaunt with horror. Professor Goodwitch and Professor Ozpin were huddled over him, holding bloodstained bandages to his leg. Not far off, a teacher with green hair was on the scroll with an ambulance. Y/N leaned down, getting a better look at the student.

This wasn't real. That's what he kept telling himself. But the more he stared, the more his twisted reality settled in.

"V... Vao...?"

Ozpin looked up, a dark look in his eyes. He pushed Y/N away from the sight, guiding him away.

"Do not look, Mr. Rose... This is not something you should have to see," he whispered. But Y/N moved his head around the headmaster, and finally his voice found him.

"V-Vao!"

Professor Ozpin pushed him towards Weiss, pointing his finger at her. "Do not let him approach. Mr. Branwen is in a critical state," he ordered. Weiss could only nod. But when she looked to her friend, she realized he wouldn't be going anywhere. He was standing still, watching in horror as the tears fell freely.

Weiss couldn't even imagine how he was feeling. She averted her gaze, trying not to look him in the eye - only to see Cardin standing not far off, shaking as he stepped back. Without a word, the ginger began to run away. Weiss followed, sprinting after him. She focused her Semblance, catching up to him with the help of her glyphs.

"Stop!" She shrieked. Cardin was a mess, muttering incoherently to himself as he struggled to free his wrists from Weiss's Semblance. She gripped his shoulders, shaking him hard.

Cardin knew something. His reaction wasn't normal.

"What happened!?"

Cardin was crying, barely able to construct a sentence. But finally, he uttered one name. One Weiss wished she had never heard.

"I-It was Ruby..."

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

5.1K 186 34
The everyday thought's, dreams, wishes, of this girl right here.
319K 7K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
1.2M 47.5K 53
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
4.5K 62 7
An Azur Lane alternate universe story. Story inspired by the fanfiction video on YouTube created by Ryuma Brunestud Enterprise's Past (Enterprise Fan...