The Life of A Victor || Finni...

By Alex_Novas

❝Welcome to hell! Tell me, how does it feel to be Snow's new puppets?❞ ➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳ A Victor's child is pro... More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
EPILOGUE
🅁🄴🅆🅁🄸🅃🄴 🄽🄾🅃🄸🄲🄴

CHAPTER 11

4.9K 119 3
By Alex_Novas

➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

The next day, the sisters were surprised by the appearance of a Capitol doctor in Mags' home. They supposed President Snow wanted a doctor to give a 'diagnosis' of what Dove's illness was thought to be.

Once the doctor was done with the medical examination, he talked to Dove in private. Only to explain to her the different symptoms she should start to fake gradually, as the week passed.

When he finished giving her the details, the woman left without giving any explanations to either Mags or Angel. The sisters assumed it would be the last time they would receive a visit from a Capitol person, given the information they had received. But, the following day, two additional doctors were on Mags' front door by the time they arrived from school.

Dove had two theories about these visits. Either President Snow wanted the doctors to search for an incurable, but not short-term deathly illness that would allow her to move around the Capitol. Or, he wanted an excuse with all the doctors' visits to say they didn't know what illness she had. I vote for the latter. She thought.

The purpose for the visits was clear. However, they were scaring Mags. Not only Capitol people came to her house every day for the next six days after the second visit, but also because after visiting, no doctor could answer the Victor's questions about the youngest illness.

To make it worse for the elder, Dove had started feeling bad since the first doctor had come to visit. All according to the plan the first doctor had assigned her. Dove had to start gradually showing signs of tiredness, inability to move properly, and to rest at bed most of the day, to make her illness believable. Days later, a doctor would stop by and give her the medication that would make her 'unknown' illness stabilize. 

She did as she had been told, and soon after she was excused from going to school. Her sister was the one to go and come back alone from the fourth day on. At first, she had only faked being fatigued for one and a half days. Then, she started to make like moving was getting difficult for her, until she could barely do the basics to stay alive. 

Days went by quickly, and soon it was the last day of the Victor's Tour. Her brother would have an interview with Caesar Flickerman in no time about his life as a Victor. Typically, the questions would be about the Victor's Games, the talent they have picked up for the past few months, family, things like that.

As Caesar appeared on the stage, he presented her brother to the crowd. Melo looks like a Capitol man, everything about him yells 'Hey, I was created by Capitol people!'. His shirt is not properly buttoned up, so they want to make him look more appealing. Oh God, he's truly getting sold to the Capitol people, isn't he?  The realisation hurt. The more she looked, the more she convinced herself she wasn't wrong. Like the crowd, who were drooling at the sight of him. 

Her brother took a seat on the couch assigned to him. He laughed and flirted with the crowd every time he had a chance. Most questions were expected. Caesar asked him about the talent he had picked up, to which the boy replied to elaborate about how he loved to cook for his family and other Victors. However, things got serious once Caesar asked about his little sister's illness, leaving him star-struck.

"Now, a bit more seriously. We have received information that your little sister's illness has worsened since you left for your Tour. Can you tell us when did she start showing these symptoms with constant fatigue and her gradually lacking capability of movement?" Thankfully, the boy got the message about what he had to say rather quickly. Still worried about her sister's sudden 'worsen' in health since he left for Tour, he tried to lie as well as he could.

"She's always been a very fragile girl, and having so much energy on her didn't help with her fatigue at all. But, I'm not sure when it started, because it took us a bit to recognise it was an illness. At little over three years ago. Has she really worsened while I've been away?" Although his words were convincing, he felt as if anyone could see right through him at the moment.

He was freaking out internally. Her sister had worsened from an illness that didn't exist? Was President Snow poisoning his sister or something on that line? He had done nothing wrong. He even accepted his deal to be sold off for his sisters' safety.

"Unfortunately, yes. I'm sorry, Melo. Many doctors have gone to try to figure out what her illness might be, but none has come to a conclusion. Moreover, each day she seems to get a bit worse. We hope it's something that can be cured soon enough, don't we, folks?" Caesar asked the crowd, trying to make the situation better. It was clear the interviewer had not decided the topic would be discussed.

He was the type to only let people know about the good things about Victors and the Capitol. Having such unpleasant news could only be counter-productive. What could Snow get from announcing her illness like that?

Everyone was sympathising with Melo and her, so if she went to the Hunger Games, everyone would be heartbroken. Wait. If they're heartbroken about me dying in the games. . . Wouldn't there be more sponsors willing to bet for me? Was this Snow's plan all along? Is this my price for acting like a good pawn? Her internal rambling came to a stop when she heard the concerned voice of her brother.

"I hope so too, Caesar. To say the truth, I'm so relieved to know that the doctors that are visiting her are from here, the Capitol. I'm sure that with everyone's wishes and the capability of the Capitol, she can overcome anything." His tone was a mix of concern and happiness. He is an amazing actor. Also, good bomb dropping. He has just planted in everybody's mind that they can save my life. And once they supposedly do so, they'll be ecstatic. Only to be heartbroken again by my volunteering. I have to say, President Snow really knows how to play mind games. She commented inside her head.

The interview continued, this time more cheerfully. They didn't mention any of the sisters again or family, which was a safe bet if they didn't want the people from the Capitol crying their eyes out.

"I guess everyone will have their eyes on you from now on. That's good, that's perfect." Angel spoke up. Both sisters were with Mags, watching the interview in the room they had been sleeping in since the Tour started. Mags was obviously confused at the mention of the illness of the girl having been discovered years ago. But by the time the interview finished, Dove could tell that Mags had figured it out.

"Yeah, although being in bed ill sucks," Dove commented jokingly. The last week had been the worst for her. Although she wasn't doted with a lot of energy, being obligated to remain resting all day was exhausting.

"Once they get you a medication that works, you'll be able to wander around as much as you like," her older sister replied, while Mags just smiled and nodded.

"Let's just hope they'll give me one soon." Resting wasn't her thing. She wanted to go through town with her siblings, go to the market with her mum, and meet Finnick at Four's beach. She hadn't gone to the beach again since they had said goodbye.

She missed the small chats and absolute nonsense they talked about when they thought there wasn't anyone around to watch them. How wrong we were. Snow knew all this time. But what I don't understand is why would he let us keep meeting if he's going to sell Finnick off to people in the Capitol? It didn't matter how much she thought about it, she couldn't find a reason Snow would let that happen.

However, it would be better for her to concentrate on the things she knew now. Making a list in her head, Dove named everything she remembered about the deals. I know all Victors have them, and also that the immense majority are sexual transactions. Inside those being sold off, there must be Mum, Melo, Finnick, and probably Ron. Mags and Muscida are too old to be considered desirable, and the same with the other two elder male victors. Either they don't have deals, or they have changed.

Once the interview was over, only Capitol propaganda was to be seen on the television. Mags left the room after saying she would cook supper, leaving the two sisters alone. Angel took advantage of the situation to hug her sister, while stroking her bushy hair.

"Dove, do you think Melo and Mum have also been requested to do things?" The whisper was meant solely for Dove. No prying eyes should be able to overhear. But Dove feared that wouldn't be the case. At least her sister had said it perfectly ambiguously.

"Yes, I think that's exactly what is happening," Dove whispered back, ducking her head on her older sister's hair, just so no one could read her lips. She for sure hoped there wouldn't be any cameras on a bedroom, but with President Snow, it was better to be safe than sorry.

"He's attracting too many people. At one point in the interview, Caesar said something about many people dying to be his lover. Is it what I think it means?" Dove's eyes grew with worry. She didn't expect his deal to take action so soon. Reluctantly, she nodded, her jaw leaning on her older sister's shoulder, waiting for her sister to react to the horrible news.

Angel stood still for almost a minute, she was still processing all the information. What she didn't understand is why would her brother consent to such a deal. That led her thoughts to Dove, who was getting prepared to volunteer for her in the next year's Reaping. Everything was for her, everyone was at Snow's will to keep her safe.

"I know now," Angel managed to utter. Dove understood immediately, although she had hoped Angel would take a bit longer to realise. At least, until the Doctors' visits were over.

"We'll tell them tomorrow when they're back, OK?" Her question didn't get her older sister's attention. She was too occupied with her thoughts. Both girls silently agreed to spend the rest of the day in their own silence. Each one had their own worries they had to sort out before supper with Mags.

Unfortunately for them, the following day came before any of them could sort anything out. Attendance in the return of the Victor was practically obligatory for the family. However, since Dove was supposed to be incapable of moving, she had to stay behind at Mag's house.

Everyone went to the train station, leaving her alone. She wasn't scared to be alone. Rather, she preferred that at the moment. She had tried all night long to understand President Snow's decision related to Finnick, but she still couldn't. It was driving her nuts.

Yells were heard from downstairs, and they quickly got closer to her. It was her name, her family was shouting her name. Startled, she incorporated, still sitting on the bed. Seconds after, the door burst open.

"Dove! Dove, are you alright?" The first person to enter was her brother. He was still wearing his Capitol clothes and make-up.

"Physically or mentally?" She asked with a smile on her face. The boy laughed and sat on the edge of the bed while examining his little sister.

"What's all that about? Since when you've got an illness?" Dove looked around the room. There were many people there to whom she couldn't tell anything. She sighed, defeated. She couldn't lie without making it more confusing for everyone, so she decided on just postponing the explanations.

"I'll tell you that later at home, OK? For now, I would like to talk about your tour and greet the others. Everyone, I was told I have to rest, so you'll have to circle the bed," everyone did as she instructed. Some sat on the edges of the bed. Others, like Finnick and Ron, decided to stand next to the bed. Finnick next to Melo, and Ron next to her mother.

"How was the Tour? What do the Districts look like?" She asked. Curiosity was getting the best of her.

"Well, the tour was good until I received the news that a particular songbird was ill." Her brother's remark made her snicker. The news was shocking for everyone, even for her. "And, I didn't get to see much of the Districts. The tour was pretty monitored. Go there, talk here, stand there. You haven't missed much."

"That's a shame. There was a party in the Capitol just for you, right? At least there was something to keep your head off of things." Her brother suddenly stiffened up for a second. He was evidently shocked. He hoped the girl hadn't noticed, but of course, she did.

He has already started with his part of the deal. She thought. It upset her, even she was in a similar position to her brother. The reason why they both were going to give something of theirs to the Capitol, the life of their sister.

Even though Dove's deal only meant to be killed first, Snow had specified that once she died, Angel would return to be the target. Her deal was just to delay her sister's death. It didn't mean anything once she passed.

"They said many people were attracted to you in the Capitol. Do you have any lovers over there yet?" She asked, highlighting the 'lovers' word.

"No. But I'm sure I'll find one once I go for my annual visit," she nodded sadly. That meant her brother counted months before being sold to strangers on the Capitol.

Then a thought ran through her mind. If Snow will wait less than a year to sell my brother off. . . What about Finnick? He's been a victor for almost two years now. He's only fifteen! She had to ask him later. Once she got medication and could be seen walking around again, she would wait for him at the beach. She would tell him everything, hoping he would do the same.

➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.3K 481 75
The day snow fell upon Victor's Village, everything changed. There was no excitement, no joy, only the cold stare of scrutinising eyes into a child's...
16K 624 47
In the rugged woodlands of District 7, fate dramatically alters the lives of Hazel Marlowe and her younger brother when they are both selected during...
970 16 12
❝I save others to forget I don't know how to save myself.❞ ➳➳➳ When one has no prospect of life, what shall they do? When their death is guaranteed f...
7.5K 202 21
↳ ❝ 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐘 𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐇𝐀𝐒 𝐈𝐓'𝐒 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐒 ... 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐌𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐉𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐁𝐄 𝐇𝐈𝐒. ❞ The caverns of her dark soul w...