~❤️~Always Better Together~❤️~

By preetimsd2307

"Not your usual love story" Amarra is a first year med student. Young, Bubbly, Beautiful. She is attracted t... More

~ Casting ~
~ 1 ~
~ 2 ~
~ 3 ~
~ 4 ~
~ 5 ~
~ 6 ~
~ 7 ~
~ 8 ~
~ 9 ~
~ 10 ~
~ 11 ~
~ 12 ~
~ 13 ~
~ 14 ~
~ Author's Note ~
~ 15 ~
~ 16 ~
~ 17 ~
~ 18 ~
~ 19 ~
~ 20 ~
~ 21 ~
~ 22 ~
~ 23 ~
~ Character Sketch NYC ~
~ 24 ~
~ Character Sketch The Hales ~
~ 25 ~
~ 26 ~
~ 27 ~
~ 28 ~
~ 29 ~
~ Character Sketch ~
~ 30 ~
~ 31 ~
~ 32 ~
~ 33 ~
~ Letter to Derek ~
~ 35 ~
~ 36 ~
~ Letter to Derek ~
~ Letter to Amarra ~
~ 37 ~
~ Letter to Amarra ~
~ Letter to Derek ~
~ Letter to Amarra ~
~ 38 ~
~ 39 ~
~ 40 ~
~ 41 ~
~ 42 ~

~ 34 ~

30 3 7
By preetimsd2307

I reached the airport early to shop for Christmas gifts for everyone . For family and friends in New York and for Liam and Vallie. I have also planned to buy a little something for Derek, considering we are friends now.

Yes it's official.

Derek and I are friends. He confirmed it last night when he called to wish me a happy journey and a blissful Christmas and New Years.

~~ The Phone Call ~~

"Hello." I said picking up after debating on whether to pick the call early or let it ring for a while. I picked up on the fifth ring. Not too desperate.

"Hi. Are you busy??" he asked in his sexy husky voice sending electric shocks in my body.

"No. I'm not. Just packing. I'm leaving tomorrow." I said sitting on the bed around the heap of clothes and books.

"Ohh. What time's your flight??" he asked and made me wonder why he is calling and making small talk. 'He is your friend. That's what friends do' my subconscious patted my shoulder and made a 'Duh' face.

"8 in the morning."

"Okay." He took in a gash of breath totally clueless about what to say next.

"Umm... What do you want to talk about??" I asked holding my breath.

There was a brief pause when Derek took a deep breath and out came his husky voice with a glint of relief, "Aahmm... That night at my place... I told you things about...." He paused and all I could hear was his uneven breathing. "About my past... And I wanted to thank you for understanding... I just wanted to say that it would mean a lot if you and I could be friends."

His breathing was back to normal. I could hear his sharp inhale and exhale of breath over the phone. Well, it was an oddly quiet night. No crickets were chirping outside. No wind was howling like usual.

He was waiting for me to answer. He was waiting. I pursed my lips together and took a deep breath.

I knew in my heart that being his friend was not enough. It was not what I wanted. I cannot be his friend when I have romantic feelings for him. It's insane.

But I also knew that you do insane things for the people you love. And I love Derek. I love him. Now more than ever.

And I cannot bear to hurt him anymore. If he wants us to be friends, then I will be his friend, holding on to the hope of becoming MORE someday.

"Okay. We are friends."

The moment the words escaped my mouth, I heard a sharp release of breath from Derek. He was holding his breath. Gosh!! His breathing depended on my answer. How are we going to be just friends??

"But I have one condition." I said.

"And what would that be??" he asked intrigued. I could say he was smiling his dear smile at the other end.

"You'll have to be my friend even when everyone is around. No excuses." I said, holding my breath. I had an inkling that he would refuse.

But Derek surprised me. Lately he has been in a tendency of surprising me.

"Okay done." He said and I smiled in awe.

"So when are you going home??" I asked expecting his answer to be a date. But his answer surprised me. Again.

"Umm... I'm not going home. I'm falling behind and have a lot to study." he said casually. But I was in no mood to take his answer casually.

"What?? You're going to be alone on Christmas and New Years??" I asked abruptly.

"Yeah... It's not the first time. And honestly, I don't believe in holidays." He said casually as if it didn't matter to him. At all. How can he say that??

"But... You can't stop living your life Derek. It's not healthy. You should be with your family whenever you can. That's how you'll heal." I said in concern. I really care and worry about him. He is punishing himself. He shouldn't do that.

"Okay. Rule No. 1 - You're not allowed to give tips on healing and stuff. Just because you know stuff, doesn't mean you'll patch it with every decision of mine. There's a whole lot of stuff you still don't know about." He said in a rather irritated tone which I didn't like but I kept quiet.

I thought that he might think that I was invading his privacy and his life. I shouldn't say much. I am his friend but I am a new friend. This friendship is raw and the foundation is still wet. I need to walk carefully if I don't want the foundation to crack under pressure.

"I am sorry. I said too much." I apologised.

"It's okay." His voice sounded soft rather than the usual husky tone.

"But I still don't want you to be alone during the holidays. So I'll text you a list of thirty great, thrilling, exciting and a few romantic movies of all time. You know there's only so much you can study daily. Take some time to watch movies. I promise you'll love me for this suggestion." I said in utter excitement and regretted saying the last part. I scrunched my face in embarrassment. "I mean you'll love my suggestion. Not me." I corrected immediately.

There was silence.

For five seconds.

And then I heard him laughing. Hard. And like a 6 year old who is been tickled nonstop.

Derek freaking Hale was laughing. And I am the one who made him laugh like that.

I smiled in awe, "Okay you can stop now. Rule No. 2 - You can't laugh at your friend for more than 4 seconds." I said and his laughs subsided to chuckles.

"I love your suggestion. And I'm privileged to have you as my friend." He said genuinely.

"Thanks."

"I'll let you get back to packing then. Have a blissful Christmas and New Year."

"I wish you the same. With movies and delicious food." I said smiling like a lovestruck idiot.

"And happy journey."

"Thanks. See you next year." I said and there ended our first longest phone call. I slumped down on the heap of clothes and books smiling like a teenage girl who was asked out for Prom by her crush.

Well, I am happy that things are fine and friendly between us. 'Friendly' being the keyword.

~~ Back To The Airport ~~

I was lurking outside the stores looking for the gift list I had made the night before in my handbag. I wasn't planning on shopping at the airport, mainly because of overpricing but I've got no choice.

I was too lazy to shop here and once I get home, I will be busy seeing my family and friends and decorating the house. Which reminded me that Aairah would be there to help. It would be nice to have her. She practically lives there now. And Daniel loves her.

It will feel different though. You know I like Aairah. She has been great with Daniel and helped him through a very rough patch. But whenever she is around, Daniel forgets the presence of everyone else. And I know I can't blame Aairah for this because it's Daniel's fault. But I don't know. I am not much comfortable with her living in our house.

But in the spirit of holidays, I will try my best not to show my real feelings.

I found the long list of gifts in the handbag atlast. Here it goes.

* Claire - Zara perfume to enlarge her collection of perfumes.
* Candice - Big box of hazelnut chocolates.
* Daniel - Wellington watch ;p
* Paul & Ian - 2 bottles of bourbon
* Joseph - Novel
* Aairah - Wind chime
* Vallie - Pendant.
* Liam - Laker's jersey tshirt
* Derek -

Well, it's a fairly long list. I was getting confused about where to start. Atlast, I decided to roam around the stores and see the stuff they have. I am sure I'll get everything on the list. 'What about Derek's gift??' my subconscious chimed in. 'I have a whole month to decide that' I replied. 

I glanced at my watch. It was 6:20 a.m. The boarding will start at 7:15 a.m. so I have almost an hour to shop and eat a chicken sandwich for breakfast.

I started roaming around and saw many passengers sitting in the waiting zones. Some of them were asleep leaning back on the comfortable chair. Some of them were reading books or magazines or tapping on their phone screen. Some of them were lined up in a queue in front of miniature restaurants. Some of them had formed a group and were indulged in conversation and laughter.

There were so many people at this early hour waiting for their flight. Waiting to board and fly high in the sky to see their families, friends, lovers. That's the spirit of holidays.

Airports have always been special to me. I just love being here. Or any airport. So many people. So many stories. I can spend my life living in an airport.

Yeah I know. I sound weird. Can't help it.

I came across a brightly lit fashion store. It was a small store with a small counter top to let the sales person show the products. There were many ceiling bulbs lighting the whole store a bright pale yellow. I know this concept of lighting. Storekeepers invest a lot in lighting because any product looks beautiful and worth buying under the influence of perfect lighting.

I asked the sales person for a Zara Rosé perfume and he showed me a lotus pink tester bottle. He offered a strip that was sprayed with the same perfume. I took the strip and took in the fragrance. It was fruity, fresh and enchanting. Claire's definitely going to love it.

Next I asked if he had pendants. He showed me a few and a crown shaped pendant caught my eye. It was silver and the ends were beaded with glitter. I thought it would be perfect for Vallie.

I was feeling slightly hungry by the time I left the store and proceeded towards The Chocolate Factory. It's a chocolate store that operates only in airports and the chocolate is just Wow. I bought a 36 piece box of hazelnut chocolates and decided to take a short break.

I went to The Sandwich Station and ordered a large chicken sandwich and a glass of regular Coke. I crossed Claire, Candice and Vallie's names from the list. Now I only have to buy a good historical novel for Joseph and a wind chime for Aairah. I have already ordered the bottles of Bourbon, Wellington watch and Laker's jersey online. They will be delivered by 24th December.

It was 6:50 a.m. by the the time I finished eating. The sandwich was a loaf of heaven loaded with spicy fried chicken and salad and topped with mayonnaise, ketchup and mustard sauce. So delicious.

I entered the nearest bookstore and went straight to the historical section and found a book named 'Rival Queens' written by Kate Williams. It's a book about Queen Mary of Scots and Queen Elizabeth lst. I knew instantly that Joseph would love this book. He has a thing for reading history. And personally, I adore Mary Queen of Scots.

It was 7 a.m. and I only had fifteen minutes to get the wind chime for Aairah. But the problem is I couldn't find any store like that. I looked in eight different stores where I thought I could get a wind chime but none of them had it. In the last store I saw a gift box containing five beautiful bracelets, all in rose gold. And in that moment my mind said, 'Screw the wind chime. I am getting her bracelets' and that was it.

_________________________

I was sitting in my window seat and waiting for the flight to take off. I was waiting to be in the clouds. It was 7:50 a.m.

The pilot announced a few things from the cockpit and the flight attendants were busy making sure everyone was seated and had their seat belts on.

I was feeling sleepy considering I didn't get much sleep last night after Derek's call and packing and hanging out with Vallie and Liam and waking up at 3 a.m. to get ready and finally shopping at the airport. I was exhausted beyond anything.

I just wanted the flight to take off and then I would sleep like a baby for the next two hours. But I guess, my eyes didn't wait that long and sleep conquered my body even before the take off.

_________________________

Hello readers,
                        A new chapter is up with a surprising phone call. Please read the chapter and don't forget to VOTE.

You guys I really want you to VOTE for the chapters. It would mean a lot.

Well, anyone who loves hanging out when at the airport??

With Love
Preeti

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34K 1.3K 25
He was my first love . And he is my husband now . But we had a not so planned wedding. (Okay I suck at the description as this is my first time. But...
907 45 25
A story of unrequited love of an average guy Ishaan,for the most popular girl in his school Avantika.Throughout his schooling, he grapples with his f...
28.8K 4.3K 58
Book 1 of From Ours To Yours Triology ABOUT THE BOOK Two strangers complete opposites of each other fall in love. But the life is not easy, non...
945 62 18
Rishi and Parthi who are friends since childhood, who later become best friends, grow up to fall in love with each other. Their story is cute and fu...