Falling Up

By neriwriting

Two years after the traumatic events of the past, Jason and his siblings, Riley and Noah are finally getting... More

1. Three o'clock
2. Breathe
3. Late
4. Tattoo
5. Locked Up
6. Coffee Shop
7. Little Lamb
8. Training
9. Same time, same place
10. Date
11. Queer Eye
12. Bingo!
13. Clueless
14. Kidnapped
15. Drive
16. The Party
17. The Game
18. Inebriated
19. Reality
20. Astray
21. Trouble
22. Dissociation
23. Brothers
24. Stay
25. Entangled
26. Talk
28. Fight
29. Hallucinating
30. Number
31. Burning
32. Dating
33. Trapped
34. Elevator Talk
35. Freed
36. The Truth
37. Don't Tell
38. The Wisteria Tree
39. Forward
40. The Winding Road
41. Red Sand
42. Surveillance
43. Ramen
44. Hidden
45. Phone call
46. Truck
47. Captured
48. Warehouse
49. Hole in the Wall
50. Time
51. Violence
52. Fight
53. Ambush
54. Cold Blood
55. Enemies
56. No Remorse
57. The Unknown
58. Future
59. Three Months
60. Dead
61. Six Months Later
Authors Note

27. Warming Up

4.1K 244 52
By neriwriting

Later that evening, Riley, Noah and Jason stepped foot through the large wooden front doors of the training hall that Noah frequently visited, White Stag. And when she said frequently, she meant pretty much every single hour of free time Noah could muster, he was here.

"What are we doing here?" asked Riley, as the musty smell of the place assaulted her senses. "I thought I was grounded?"

"Doesn't count if you're with me," said Jason. "At least I can keep an eye on you."

"We're here because I have a fight scheduled with Tyrus," said Noah. "And lover boy over here wanted to cheer him on."

Jason punched Noah playfully in the arm, in which Noah faked a mock hurt look before grinning widely. They continued to walk through the open hall, which was larger than it looked from the outside. There was the usual gym equipment scattered across the room, which they passed as they headed to a large boxing ring at the back.

The boxing ring looked huge but only because of the tiered seating surrounding it, which was already attracting a large crowd. Even Noah looked confused at the setting when a man about Noah's height started waving furiously and pushing through the crowd to head over to them.

"Liam, what is this?" asked Noah as he pointed to the sizeable crowd trying to find a free seat around the boxing ring. "I thought this was just going to be a small fight? Just me, Tyrus, and the usual crowd."

Liam slapped Noah on the back, draping his arm around his broad shoulders as he pulled him in for a side hug. "Ah, Noah. I couldn't pass up this opportunity to advertise a little. Do you know how many people were curious to see my best two fighters step into the ring together? And of course, word spreads. It's good for business."

Riley stood there feeling kind of bad for Noah as he looked nervously at the large crowd in front of him and the many people still heading through the doors. But she was curious. She had never seen him fight anyone but Vincent before and back then, Noah used to be the one taking the beating. Actually, she had only ever stepped in here once before and as she trained her eyes back on Noah, she realised how different he looked to back then.

He was more confident and had a lot more muscle than he used to, but it wasn't bulky. He just looked in great shape, and she was certain there wasn't an ounce of fat on him anywhere. Definitely not the baby faced eighteen-year-old he was 2 years ago.

"And this must be little Riley," said Liam, taking a step towards her. "Only not so little," he said curiously, taking a glance back at Noah. "I thought you said you had a baby sister?"

"She is my baby sister," said Noah, smiling in her direction, to which she just wanted to face palm herself in embarrassment. "And you've met Jason before."

Jason reached forward, shaking Liam's hand. "Nice to see you again, Jason. I hear you've finally snagged up our hottest bachelor," said Liam, pointing to Tyrus, who was heading in their direction. Riley almost did a double take as he saw Jason's ears turn slightly pink at the sight of Tyrus.

Tyrus moved in swiftly, quickly taking his place next to Jason and wrapping his arm around his waist. Riley didn't think Jason's ears could get any pinker, but it was cute. It had been so long since Riley saw him do anything for himself, but she was happy for him and a smile came across her face.

That was until she saw who was following behind Tyrus. Kain was there, moving in next to Tyrus but she wasn't exactly sure why. Her heart beat faster in her chest as he stood there as casually as ever. Oh god, she thought as she hoped he wouldn't bring up the other night. Why was he even here? Was it a coincidence, or was he there simply to get on her nerves like he always did?

As her mind was whirling around, unable to process whether Kain was about to rat her out to her brothers about the other night and spending the night in his bed, Tyrus put his hand on Kain's shoulder.

"Everyone, this is my brother, Kain. You've already met Jason and Liam, but this is Noah and Riley, Jason's siblings."

What?

Riley did a double take, looking back and forth between Tyrus and Kain. She had seen Tyrus plenty of times in the auto shop, but she never would have put two and two together. But now, as she looked at them side by side, she saw a slight resemblance between the two.

Taking a breath of relief that Kain wasn't just here to out her to her brothers, she merely nodded in Kain's direction, not eager to let Jason or Noah know she had already met Kain.

"Well, let's get you guys seated," said Liam. "I've got you guys in the best seats of the house. And Noah and Tyrus, you guys can get ready in the locker rooms. I'll come get you shortly."

Everyone moved forward, with Jason slipping out of Tyrus's grasp as she witnessed their hands lingering together longer than they should have. Noah glanced over his shoulder as he walked away, "Wish me luck!"

"Good luck," Riley replied before shooting a quick "You too Tyrus" in his direction.

Jason, Riley and Kain followed Liam into the hustle and bustle of the crowd as they edged their way across the floor and took up a set of seats in the front row that was reserved for them. Kain sat down first, with Riley shuffling in after and Jason excusing himself to go to the bathroom. Liam left to organise the fight.

Now it was just Riley and Kain sitting next to each other in the seats, waiting for the fight to start.

She shuffled nervously in her seat at the proximity as her arm grazed against Kain's. The seats were so tightly packed that it was hard for her not to be touching Kain's long legs as they spilled out to the side, nudging Riley ever so gently.

As they sat there alone, watching the waiting crowd, she couldn't stop the nervousness that had her body on edge as she sat rigid in her seat. There was something she promised herself she would do when she next saw Kain and now would be the perfect time for her to apologise, but that didn't mean she wasn't nervous as hell about it.

Gathering up her courage, she glanced over at Kain, whose focus was straight ahead as he also appeared to be a bit on edge in his seat.

"Umm," she said. "About the other night. I just wanted to apologise and thank you. I was in such a rush that morning I didn't properly thank you for looking after me. And letting me use your bed."

Kain's body stiffened beside her as he glanced curiously in her direction. His gaze was piercing as his deep blue eyes analysed her with such intensity. She couldn't break away from the gaze and her lips parted gently as she took in his wavy, chestnut-brown hair in a side part style that really brought out how truly handsome he was.

Kain's adam's apple bobbed up and down before he tore his eyes away from her, bringing his attention back to the fight. It was silent as he merely stared in front of him, and she thought for a second that maybe he didn't hear her. She was about to repeat herself when he finally let out a sigh, running his hand through his hair.

"You're welcome," he said, his voice more gentle than she had ever heard it, especially directed at her. "And I believe I owe you a study session."

"Oh, that's okay. You don't have to," said Riley, seriously wishing that he had forgotten all about the stupid bet they placed. This was hard enough just being next to him. Let alone having to actually interact with him while studying.

"A bet's a bet," said Kain. "After classes on Monday, we can study in the library."

Riley made a grimace. She was grounded. There was no way that Jason would let her stay behind to study with a guy, even if he was Tyrus's brother. Straight to work and classes, then straight home. Those were the rules.

"Actually, can we do it before class," said Riley, thinking of the hour free period she had between the end of work and beginning of her classes which wouldn't require any permission from Jason. "After I finish my morning shift."

"Sure. We can study at the cafe," nodded Kain, his focus still directly in front of him as he seemed to be trying his best to ensure his leg and arm was kept out of Riley's way. Not that it was much use, as she could feel the heat of his leg connected with hers.

She turned her head as she spotted Jason shuffling down the aisle towards them and taking the seat next to Riley. Having two large guys next to her made her feel even more uncomfortable as she was pushed unintentionally further into Kain's side, their arms now heavily resting next to each other.

Riley's focus, however, was brought back to the crowd as she heard the screaming of people filling the gym and finally, Noah and Tyrus stepped into the ring.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 96 49
BOOK ONE PART TWO- THE CLAN CELEBRATION Brandon and Ezekiel had a difficult meeting. Their interactions with each other hampered by personal demons...
5.2M 140K 74
Evanna Halls, a 12 year old girl tries to overcome her mental illnesses while dealing with bullies in school and a divorce from their parents. After...
20.3K 1K 39
Riley Matthews has gone through a lot. From her mother passing away, to her father being an asshole, from her own emotional issues, and to even her b...
12.4K 1.2K 50
Some things are stronger where they have been broken, other things shatter with the slightest pressure. Loyalty, secrets, and souls can do both, but...