Sweet Summer Sunsets- A Rober...

By TheWritingCavy

After high school, Ashley doesn't know what she wants to do with her life. Until her best friend, a charming... More

Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Ashley
Robert
Author's Note!
Ashley

Robert

731 8 0
By TheWritingCavy

I lay in bed and debated on whether or not I wanted to call Ashley or text her. I decided to call.

Butterflies danced slightly in my stomach as the phone rang. It's amazing how I can feel so comfortable, so myself, with Ashley, but she still stirred up the butterflies and made me nervous at times. I looked forward to every chance I go to be around her or even just to talk to her. I couldn't get over the fact that our paths crossed, in such a way that just couldn't be a coincidence.

"Hello?" Her voice came through the phone, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Hey love, did I wake you?" I asked.

"No, I was just watching The Book of Boba Fett."

"Oh, that's a good show!"

"Let me guess, you already finished it?" She said, laughing slightly. The sweet sound of her laughter made me smile.

"You know me too well."

"Both a blessing and a curse, Tarzan."

I glanced at the clock on my nightstand, it was still early, just before 11.

"So, when would be good to pick you up tomorrow?"

"Any time, I don't even know where you're taking me," she laughed again.

"11 work then?"

"Sure! Are you gonna tell me where we're going or are you going to leave that as a surprise?"

"Well, you know how much I love surprising you! But I'll tell you, cause I'm not 100% sure if you'll want to go here or if it would be too much walking for you since your leg is still healing up, and I have two options for you," I explained, nervous that I didn't have a solid plan.

"And what would those options be?"

"Well, I figured we could go to the Botanic Gardens at Mount Coot-tha, and then find a good picnic spot when you're ready, and then afterwards go to the lookout there and watch the sunset. Or we can go Gardner's Falls and hike up to a waterfall and eat and maybe swim." But what I didn't tell her, was I planned a picnic in Bindi's Treehouse, and I'll steal her away later in the evening to surprise her with that. 

"Hmm well, let's go to Gardner's Falls, I think that'll be a neat adventure,"

"Waterfalls it is! Remember to grab a swimsuit, a picnic blanket, and of course your water bottle, I'll take care of lunch."

"Sweet as," she said.

"Sweet as," I said softly.

"Robert, it's so amazing what we do, with the animals. I'm so glad we get to help so many of them."

"Me too, Ash. We really do make a difference, and I'm so glad to have you on our team. Even if things don't work out with us, although I'm sure they will, I hope you still work with us at the zoo and continue to help animals with us. We only have one planet and it's our job to protect it."

"Oh, definitely. I love all we do and even if things don't work out, I'll always be your friend and I love your family so much, I'm not going anywhere," She said, chuckling softly. "but, how do you cope with the pressure and the media and everything?"

I thought back to the scars I saw on her wrist the day before her graduation party. Is that how she copes, by harming herself?

"Well, I surf and ride my bicycle or the dirt bike. You know I love photography too, so that is another outlet for me. And my family and I do lots of hikes and little adventures, so being outdoors is great. But honestly, I find it sort of therapeutic to be around the animals and work with them. It is so rewarding to watch them heal and recover, and to be able to release them back into the wild. And the ones that can't be released, stay at our zoo or one of the conservation properties, and we get to see them all the time and that's wonderful. I love being around animals."

"Yeah, they are pretty great. I love working with them too. But sometimes things get hard, ya know? Like with everything that's going on in the world, and you know we both haven't had the easiest of lives, with our dad's passing and I've never really fit in at school. I've had some pretty dark moments. And I wouldn't say I'm ashamed of them, but I've never really talked to anyone about it before. But just like you love photography, I love art, that's my outlet."

Her voice got quieter the more she spoke as if she was whispering secrets to me, secrets that she was afraid would escape into the world if spoke too loudly. I knew where she was coming from and could relate as there were many things my dad couldn't be here for because of his accident, like Bindi's wedding and the birth of baby Grace. And it's always been hard when we're unable to save an animal.

"I understand love," I said, reassuring her that she wasn't alone, "and you don't have to go through any of that alone anymore. As for kids in school, you're out of there now, and doing much better things than any of them are, you're helping save the world!" I chuckled, which made her laugh as well.

"That is true."

"Plus, you can always talk to me. I know you have before and that's great, I'm glad you're comfortable enough to talk to me about anything, and you should be. It's no judgment zone, all the time. I care for you, truly. And I'm always gonna be here for you, I promise."

Ashley has talked to me about things before, and I've always been there to hear her out and comfort her if she needs it. I'm glad she knows I'm here for her, she needs to know that.

"I know Robert, thank you. I appreciate that so much, really. And I'm here for you too, always," she let out a small yawn.

"We're gonna have such a good time tomorrow, just wait. It's a beautiful little hike up to the waterfall, but nothing too bad, I'm sure you can handle it with your leg but we can stop and rest as often as you need to. And then the waterfall is beautiful, and there is a nice little pool to swim in. The weather is supposed to be nice, and not too hot."

Ashley was silent.

"Love?"

No answer.

"Well, you must've fallen asleep. Goodnight love, sweet dreams," I said and hung up the phone.

I lay awake for a bit, staring at the ceiling, thinking of Ashley. She was beautiful, so amazing, yet so completely unaware. I thought back to a couple of years ago when some other kids from Ashley's school were harassing her and bullying her at the zoo. I happened to see what was going on and had to tell them to leave her alone. Mum always home-schooled me, so thankfully I didn't have to deal with anything like that. I'm sure if I went to public school I would have. But I'm glad I was able to be there for her.

Eventually, I fell asleep. I woke up around 9 since I didn't have to go out to the zoo today as mum knew I had the day planned with Ashley. I texted her a quick good morning text.

Me: Good morning beautiful, I can't wait to see you today :)

I threw on a pair of swim trunks and a plain grey t-shirt. As I was combing my hair, Ashley texted me back.

Ash: Good morning Tarzan :) I'm excited about our adventure today

Me: Me too, I'm getting ready now. Oh, don't forget a towel!

Ash: I won't!

I finished getting ready and went downstairs to find mum packing my and Ashley's lunch. Bindi was sitting at the table drinking a cup of tea with Grace in her lap.

"Good morning!" Mum said.

"Good morning mum! And Bindi and Grace," I replied.

"So, where did you decide to take Ashley for her birthday?" Bindi asked.

"We decided on Gardner's Falls," I replied, sitting down at the table with Bindi.

"Oh, how sweet!" She exclaimed.

"I made breakfast already if you want some," Mum said.

"Oh, yes please!"

Mum came and brought me a plate of eggs and bacon. I started eating when Bindi spoke again.

"So, don't spoil the surprise or tell Ashley, but Cait had an amazing idea this morning when she and her mum came over before heading to the zoo."

"Oh wow, I didn't know they came over, I must have been sleeping hard," I laughed.

"Yes, you were. I imagine you were up late talking to Ashley?" Mum said, smiling. I knew she didn't mind.

"Guilty," I said.

"Anyway!" Bindi said again. "She suggested we surprise Ashley with a "family" party and cake in the break room after you guys get back!"

"Oh, that's a wonderful idea!" I replied.

"Awesome!" Bindi practically squealed with excitement, "So don't ruin the surprise, and we'll take care of everything. Just let me know when you guys are back so I can make sure everyone is in the break room."

"No problem!"

I finished eating while mum finished packing our lunches of sandwiches, fruit, and some chocolate. I packed the lunches, a towel, and my water bottle in my backpack.

I sent Ashley a quick "on my way" text and drove over to her house.

As I approached her house, I saw she was sitting on the steps leading up to her front door, her backpack beside her. She wore a loose-fitted t-shirt, light denim shorts, and sneakers. Her tanned legs stretched out in front of her. The way the sun was hitting her made her brown hair seem golden almost, and she had half of it tied up and out of her face, while the rest fell in natural curls around her shoulders. 

She stood up and walked over to the car once I put it in park.

"Well good morning gorgeous," I said as she opened the passenger door.

"Good morning," she replied, a slight blush spread across her cheeks. She got into the car and set her backpack on the floor of the back seat.  

"How is your leg feeling today? Is it bothering you at all or in any sort of pain?" I asked as I reversed out of her driveway and started the short drive to the waterfalls. 

"Not at all, actually," She said, looking down at it, "the scar will just take so long to heal, and I know it's still gonna leave a slight permanent mark forever."

"Yeah, but it'll lighten up and slowly fade over time. Plus, it'll be a pretty cool story to tell."

"What story? The one where I fell for a crappy guy who tried to tell me I couldn't be friends with my best friend anymore? Ah yes, how cool," she said sarcastically. Her voice wasn't quite bitter, but I could tell she was still unhappy with thinking of telling people about the time she got bit by a shark. 

"Well, they don't have to know all of the details right? You were out surfing, got bit, and then your handsome, amazing best friend saved your life," I said trying to joke and lighten the mood. She chuckled softly. 

"Yeah, that's what I'll tell people."

She looked out the window as I drove, taking in the scenery.

"You know, I'll be glad to have you back at the zoo to help out," I said after a few minutes.

"I know, I can't wait to go back to normal with it, too. I want to do that this week, slowly get back to normal I mean," she said, turning to look at me.

"Yeah, you'll just have to take it slow and rest often, there are plenty of areas to sit around the zoo or you can chill in the break room, and golf cart everywhere. Or even just hang out around the zoo. You can sit on the benches and draw with the Roos again. Just take it easy for a couple of weeks until you can get your stitches removed and you'll be fine."

"Yeah I hope so," she said before sighing quietly.

She was quiet for the rest of the drive. "Well, we're here!" I said, trying to joyfully break the silence.  

"Yay!" She said, opening the car door and getting out, grabbing her backpack off the floorboard. I got out as well and opened the backdoor to get my backpack with our lunches, and also my camera. 

"Ready?" I asked as she came around the car. I put the strap of my camera around my neck.

"Definitely," she replied. 

We started the short walk down a trail. The weather was nice and I was thankful it wasn't too hot. 

"It's beautiful out here," Ashley said as we were walking. 

"It definitely is. Here, walk in front of me so you can set the pace and I can keep an eye on you with your leg," I said, stepping off to the side of the path so she can go in front of me. I also wanted to take photos of her walking in front of me.

"Oh, how sweet," she said, giggling. 

"Of course, love." She continued walking, and I took the occasional photos of the trees, flowers, and her. She was my favourite thing to photograph. She was so photogenic without trying to be, and so beautiful. I could take hundreds of photos of her and still only catch a glimpse of her beauty. 

"Oh, I can hear the waterfalls," she said, her voice sounding beautiful with the sounds of the birds and now the running water.

"Yeah it should be right up here," I replied. 

The trees opened up to the base of the waterfalls and the swimming hole. I snapped a picture.

"This is more beautiful than I thought," Ashley practically squealed. 

"It's still not as beautiful as you," I said. I could see the blush spread across her cheeks and a slight smile appear on her lips. 

"Shall we pick a spot then?" She asked, walking over to some flat rocks. 

"Yeah, there looks nice."

She opened her backpack and pulled out the picnic blanket. I helped her spread it out, she also pulled out her towel and water bottle and sat them in a corner, along with her backpack. I took out my stuff as well and we sat down on the blanket. 

"Do we want to swim first?" She asked, looking at me. 

"Yeah, I just want to take in the scenery first," I replied, taking more photos. She nodded before taking off her shoes and stretching her legs out in front of her. She was sitting on my left side, and I looked down and noticed her shorts rose up a bit, revealing a few more scars on her thigh. I decided to ignore them for now and thought I'd bring them up later or on a different day. 

 "It is so beautiful out here, the birds, the water. I'm glad it didn't heat up too much or suddenly rain," She said, giggling slightly. 

"Yeah, me too. It really did turn out to be such a beautiful day. I figured we could leave here around 2 or 3 and then go walk around the zoo or just hang out with the animals," I said.

"Yeah that's fine, I couldn't imagine a more perfect day," She said, "but now, let's swim." She stood up and took off her clothes, revealing her swimsuit underneath. I laughed and did the same. 

"Race you in!" I yelled before running and jumping into the water. I surfaced to see her still standing on the rocks. 

"That's not fair, I've got a wonky leg!" She said before jumping into the water as well.

I laughed at her as she surfaced. "Well, you still made it in!" I said as we floated in the water. 

We spent 30 minutes or so swimming around and splashing each other. Ashley was full of laughter and I think this was the best thing for her, getting her outside and slowly back to her normal. 

We sat in the water, treading water facing each other. 

"You look out of breath. Do you want me to like hold you?" I offered. 

"Please," she said. I could tell maybe she was exerting herself a bit. I backed up to some rocks in shallower water so I could stand up, as she was much shorter than me. She swam over and put her arms around my neck. 

I looked deep into her green eyes and could see just pure happiness. 

"Ashley..I hate to bring it up and ask but I need to know," I said, thinking of how I should best approach this topic, "have you ever hurt yourself?" She looked away at her arm that was resting on my neck. 

"Robert, I'm not going to lie to you, but yes," she said quietly. I felt my heart break. 

"Ash, why? I've always been here for you."

"Sometimes everything gets to be rough and a lot and overwhelming and it's hard."

"When was the last time you did?" I whispered. 

"A few months ago. I don't want to be that person who does it. I want to be okay. So I've been trying so hard to stop," She said, and I could see the tears well in her eyes. I pulled her close to me and just held her.

"It's okay. I'm here. Nothing is going to hurt you. I've always been here but please know you can come to me," I said, holding her tight. She let out a small cry. "Let's get out and eat some, yeah? It'll be okay." I said. 

She nodded and pulled away, and swam to the side of the swimming hole where our stuff was. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 71 12
Julia Lewis, currently Cinderella in "Cinderella" goes onto the Late Late show, where she reveals her celeb crush in a game of truth or dare. What sh...
679K 33.5K 24
↳ ❝ [ ILLUSION ] ❞ ━ yandere hazbin hotel x fem! reader ━ yandere helluva boss x fem! reader β”• 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑, a powerful d...
17K 137 23
β™šSuccessful teenage Actress and Singer. β™•Son of The crocodile Hunter and inspirational wildlife conservationist. Cringe Alert! Slow updates but I'm t...
8.8K 183 11
These characters DO NOT BELONG TO ME!! These characters belong To Rick Riordan. This Fanfic is around 11+ so any young readers please leave unless yo...