The Flames of Elisira

By JessSolanki

All her life seventeen year old Seraphina has lived in the village of Copperfin in Elisira, but she wants mor... More

Chapter 1 - Something Fishy
Chapter 2 - Dunderton
Chapter 3 - There is always light
Chapter 4 - A Whole New World
Chapter 5 - Elisira's Academy of the Meanest
Chapter 6 - A Friendship Forged
Chapter 7 - The Fire in Her
Chapter 08 - The Hollow
Chapter 9 - We Don't Judge......Or Maybe We Do
Chapter 10: So We're Famous Now?
Chapter 11 - The Meeting
Chapter 12: A Ray of Hope
Chapter 14: A Failed Attempt at Jealousy
Chapter 15: A Scar-ry Tale
Chapter 16: The Clueless Friend
Chapter 17- Birthday Wishes
Chapter 18 - New Arrival
Chapter 19- Moon and Water

Chapter 13: The Fight

23 6 15
By JessSolanki

That night the girls had their dinner in silence. Even Atlas and Caspian could sense that something was wrong at the table. Seraphina sat at the end of it, sipping on her soup quietly while Thyra and Hyacinth sat a few seats away from her.

Daphne's gaze was fixed on their table, wondering what had happened. The three girls usually sat huddled together but today seemed different.

For the past few days, the misfit table had become the centre of attention. First with Seraphina standing up to Daphne's bullying, then with Caspian joining them, and the cherry on top, Atlas Van Volkenburg now sat with them. Almost everyone in the grand hall had their eyes on the misfits.

Atlas, who had had enough, decided to finally speak up. ''Can anyone tell me what has happened?''

Silence.

''Sera,'' Hyacinth whispered cautiously, ''you haven't said anything since we.... since we...uh... talked.''

''Did something happen to you?'' Caspian asked her.

Silence.

''Did someone do something to you?'' Atlas asked her.

Was that concern and......anger she detected in his voice? 

No, maybe she was overthinking it.

When she didn't reply, he turned to her friends. ''Do either of you know what happened to her?''

Both Thyra and Hyacinth made the wise choice of staying silent. Atlas didn't look convinced. Nevertheless, he dropped his glare and relaxed in his seat. The girls continued eating while the boys exchanged glances.

''Seraphina,'' Caspian said, as he stretched his hand forward to touch her. Knowing exactly what would happen when he did, she quickly moved her hands away from the table and stood up.

''I'm going to practice.'' was all she said.

''I'll come with.'' Atlas and Hyacinth said at the same time.

''Alone.'' She looked between the two and passed the room key to Hyacinth.

Awkwardness set around the table as both Hyacinth and Atlas sat back down on their seats.

''That's fine,'' the blonde girl smiled at her. ''I'll keep the door unlocked.''

She nodded at her and walked away from the table and out of the hall.

''What happened, did you three fight?'' Caspian asked again once Seraphina was out of earshot. '' She didn't seem okay. Maybe you should go check on her.'' He said to his best friend.

Atlas nodded and was ready to get up and follow Seraphina out.

''Sit your behind down!'' Thyra snapped at him, which surprised all of them.

''Pardon?'' Atlas cocked an eyebrow at her. Apart from Caspian no one spoke to him that way. They all feared him and respected him. After all he was the werewolf prince. He was royalty.

''I said, sit your behind down,'' she repeated, completely unfazed by his reaction.

Hyacinth nudged her in the ribs for her choice of words but Thyra being Thyra, did not react at all, in fact she looked him right in the eye as she said it.

''You've got some nerve speaking to him like that. You do realize he is the werewolf prince, right?'' Caspian said.

''He can be the prince back at Mooncrest. Over here he is a student just like the rest of us. If he wants to sit with us he will be treated equally as such, otherwise he can go join the rest of the entitled brats at that table.'' She pointed to where Daphne and her gang were.

Atlas smirked inwardly. Now here was someone worthy of his respect. Despite being bullied by almost everyone at the academy, and without having any ability to show off, Thyra Torsten knew how to stand her ground.

''You're right,'' he finally spoke up. ''We are equals.''

''We are?'' Caspian asked, clearly shocked at his best friends' words. What was he playing at?

''Indeed.'' Atlas said then turned to the two girls. ''Now, who will tell me about what's going on with Fleming?''

The two girls exchanged looks as they silently communicated, before turning to face the two boys. ''I'm afraid it's not our place to say anything,'' Hyacinth spoke up.

Atlas nodded in understanding. ''Do you think she will be okay?''

''She'll be fine,'' Thyra replied. The two girls stood up, bade the boys goodnight and left for their dorm.

Seraphina however, was anything but fine. That night she came in late and no matter how hard she tried to, she could not sleep. She was angry, not only at herself but at her mother too.

Her mother was a fire wielder? A fire wielder? And never in her whole life did she mention it!

If she really did make it out of the fire, then where was she? Why had she not come for her? Was she fed up with her own daughter? Did she not love her?

Seraphina tossed and turned in her sleep that whole night, and she was up before dawn the next day. Hyacinth and Thyra were still asleep, so she tip-toed to the bathroom. As soon as she was ready, she quietly left the room and went down to the hollow.

She needed to practice, she needed to prove to professor Syrana and Ms. Greeves that she was capable of doing more than just conjuring a small flame, and then when she is ready, she would go look for her mother, find her and ask her why she hid a major part of her life from her. Why she had never told her about it all. Why they had to stay in a village like Copperfin when she could have grown up in towns like Wickerfield, or Hollowvile, where people like her stayed.

''Why?!" She groaned out in agony as tears rolled down her cheeks, while on the other hand, her grief and anger had brought out her fire. She watched as the flames danced around her fingers waiting to be controlled.

Vowing to concentrate on her ability, she straightened her back and focused all her energy on the fire.

Slowly by slowly the flames around her fingers grew, engulfing her hands in the process. She stared at them, marveling at the fact that she could not be burned, before closing her eyes. She pictured how she wanted the fire to look like, what form she wanted it to take. And when she finally had a clear picture, she opened her eyes to see a medium sized ball of fire hovering a few feet above the ground.

''Told you she'd be here,'' she heard a familiar voice from behind her.

She closed her eyes and released a sharp breath. ''How did you find me?''

''It's was pretty obvious.'' Thyra replied and sat down next to her. ''I come here to be alone too.''

Hyacinth joined the two girls, but her eyes were on the floating ball of fire. ''You did that?''

''Yes.''

''Did you channel it through your anger?''

Seraphina didn't reply. Hyacinth pinched the bridge of her nose and was about to rebuke her, but Thyra shook her head and stopped her.

''Do you want to talk about it?'' The lean girl asked.

Seraphina cocked an eyebrow at Thyra's sudden change of behavior and scoffed. ''Do you even care?''

''Why do you think I'm asking?''

''I don't want to talk about it. '' She extinguished the ball of fire and stood up. ''I'm going for breakfast.''

''Sera wait!" Hyacinth grabbed her arm. ''Don't push us away. Talk to us.''

She took in a deep breath and looked at her friends. ''I need to figure some things out, and if my mother is still alive, I need to find her.''

''But you can't leave the academy.''

''That's precisely the reason why I need to practice harder and once I'm ready, I will go look for her.''

''That's really um.... heroic and all,'' Thyra said, ''but you're missing the point here.''

''And that is?''

''Hyacinth said your mother might be alive. Might, Seraphina. Might.''

''She's right you know. There is a possibility my father could have been wrong.''

Seraphina felt a lump in her throat. Her eyes flickered between the two girls standing in front of her. In her state of desperation, she had failed to listen through Hyacinth's words. They were right, both her and Thyra. She had no proof her mother was still alive and if she were to go out to look for her, who is to say she might even find her.

''Regardless, I still need to practice,'' she said and walked towards the secret glass door leading to the castle.

The two girls followed her closely. ''Yes, you do. But you also need to get ready for classes.''

''I am ready.''

''No, you're not.'' Thyra snorted. ''Look at your eyes Seraphina, you have dark circles underneath. You seriously don't want to walk into the grand hall looking like that, do you?'' she pointed at the old grey dress Seraphina had worn. ''You think Atlas would-''

''I don't care what Atlas Van Volkenburg thinks of me, Thyra!" she stopped in her tracks and yelled at her friend. ''In fact, I don't care what anyone thinks of me. I'm not here to impress boys!''

''That's not what I me-.'' The other girl said but Seraphina cut her off her again.

''Then what did you mean, huh?'' she took a step forward and looked her in the eye.

''Seraphina, you need to calm down,'' Hyacinth warned her as she noticed sparks of fire forming around her fingers. She grabbed Thyra's arm and tried to pull her back, but the other girl too had her feet planted firmly on the ground.

''You know what?!'' She yelled and glared at Seraphina. ''Suit yourself. I was only trying to help you, but it seems like you'd rather deal with this on your own. Just know this, you're not the only one who has lost a parent. Heck, I don't even know who mine are, but you don't see me making a big deal out of it!"

''Wanting to look for my mother is not a big deal!"

''It is if there is a chance she is not even alive in the first place!''

Seraphina gasped in absolute horror. ''You take that back!''

''No! You need to get it in your head, that-''

''Stop it! Both of you stop it!'' Hyacinth stepped in between the two girls and wedged them apart. Both girls looked down at their shorter friend as she stood in between them, trying to mediate.

Throwing one last glare at them, Seraphina jerked her arm out of Hyacinth's grip and stormed inside the castle. Leaving a fuming Thyra and an exasperated Hyacinth behind.

***

The two girls avoided each other the whole morning. Classes were not as bad since Seraphina usually sat alone during Geography and Zoology classes and Thyra was not present during Element honing. The problem however came during lunch and continued for the rest of the day.

It first began when both girls chose the same spot to sit at their table.

''Huh, maybe I should sit here so that I can have a good look at all the boys in the academy. Don't you think so?'' Seraphina said out loud, her words dripping with sarcasm.

''What was that now?'' Atlas, who was about to bite into his carrot looked up at Seraphina with wide eyes.

Both the girls ignored him.

Thyra placed her foot on the seat and crossed her arms. She then dragged her it across the chair, leaving bits of mud and stones that were stuck in her boot on the chair.

''Sure thing, unless you wish to make a big deal out of this too.'' She smirked at Seraphina. ''Then again,'' she wiped the dirt off and sat down, ''I came here first.''

''You did not!'' Seraphina hissed at her. ''Get up, now!''

''Stop it you two,'' Hyacinth whispered harshly. ''You're embarrassing yourselves.''

''She started it!'' they both said in unison.

''So you want to behave like children now?'' Hyacinth crossed her arms. ''Fine then, Sera go sit there and you,'' she glared at Thyra. ''Quit smirking before I smack your head.''

People had started to look as usual and Seraphina thought it wise not to create a bigger scene. So she quietly walked to the end of table and sat down opposite Atlas.

''Did you two fight?''

'''Wasn't it obvious?''

''You don't have to be rude, Fleming. I'm trying to help.''

''Well don't!'' she yelled at him too and got up to leave.

''Sera, where are you going?''

''I'm not hungry.'' She replied and dumped her plate full of lamb into the garbage. She stormed out of the hall and marched up to the rooms, glaring at whoever came in her way.

''My oh my, she's got a temper.'' Caspian smirked and nudged Atlas in the ribs. The latter sighed and rubbed his temple in frustration.

Seraphina stayed in her room all through the lunch period. Her thoughts wandered and she kept thinking about her mother and how she had lied to her about her fire wielding capabilities. She cried a little more and punched her pillows in anger and frustration. As she stood in their shared bathroom, she looked at herself in the ornate mirror that was mounted on the wall.

''Gods, Thyra was right,'' she whispered to herself. Strands of hair were sticking out from her braid, her grey dress looked like it could be used as a mop, and her eyes, dear gods, her eyes were red and puffy. Not to forget the dark circles underneath them. This was how she walked around the academy all morning?

No wonder people moved away from her when she coming up. She looked like a dead person brought to life.

She needed to freshen up, change, and relax her mind. She took a glimpse at her class schedule and noticed she had the History of Elisira, followed by a free period, then combat class. She already had the library book on the kingdoms history, and Professor Walter definitely wouldn't notice her missing the class.

''Hmm,'' she hummed, ''might as well.''

She folded the schedule, put  it in her dress pocket and drew herself a bath. Once it was ready, she added a few drops of one of Hyacinth's mothers homemade calming oils, peeled off her layers of clothing and entered inside the claw foot bathtub.

She sighed in relief as the hot water caressed her skin and the oils began to work their magic. Once she had scrubbed herself clean, she relaxed her back and once again sighed deeply.

It was when she reflected on her actions with a clear and sound mind, did she realize how rude and ungrateful she was to her friends. She thought of ways on how she could have handled her argument with Thyra better.

''Oh no, what did I do?!'' she sobbed and covered her face with her hands and submerged herself in to the water. She stayed that way for a few seconds, feeling so ashamed of her actions. When she finally came up the surface of the water, she had made up her mind.

She was going to apologize to Thyra.

Just as she was about to get out of the bathtub, she heard the whispering of voices underneath their bathroom window, right by the sycamore tree.

''We should be able to talk here,'' the first voice, which sounded oddly familiar said. ''The students are all in class.''

''Ms. Greeves?'' Seraphina mumbled to herself as she slowly creeped up the window.

''Yes, we should be safe here. Where is Ryker?'' The second voice, professor Syrana, said.

''He is late,'' Ms. Greeves replied. ''I told him to be here.''

''I'm here, I'm here.'' Seraphina saw Professor Ryker jog up to the pair and join them. ''You have news?'' he looked at the principal gravely.

''Yes,'' Ms. Greeves' amethyst eyes held worry as she glanced between the other two adults,     "and I'm afraid it's not good.''

''Where?'' Ryker asked, as if knowing what had happened already.

''Hollowvile,'' Ms. Greeves said. ''There have been signs of unrest and attacks. Same as the ones we encountered in the forest.''

''Merlin's beard.'' The combat professor gasped and scratched his stubble.

''Should we go check it out then?'' Professor Syrana asked.

Seraphina watched with bated breath as the three adults whispered amongst themselves. There indeed was something out there and it had moved from the forest to the towns and villages.

''I'm afraid yes,'' the principal nodded. ''I cannot join you this time, I'm still recovering from the last ordeal.''

''Should we take the alpha prince with us this time?''

''No, no,'' Ms. Greeves shook her head. ''He needs to focus on his lessons. Can I trust you two to handle this? I've received word that a few Realm Guardians will join you too.''

''You can count on us, Hilda,'' Professor Syrana raised her chin and nodded with determination.

''Good,'' the principal nodded, ''you should leave immediately, and Ryker,'' she turned to the man, ''don't worry about your classes, I will take over them for the time being.''

''That will be appreciated,'' he nodded.

They exchanged nods one last time and the three of them parted ways. Seraphina waited until she was completely sure they were gone, before she released the breath she was holding. Her first instinct was to run to her friends and tell them about what she'd heard, but she realized they were not exactly on talking terms at the moment.

She quickly got dressed for combat class and flung the door open only to be met with two pairs of worried eyes on the other side of it.

''We need to talk!" all three girls said at the same time.

***

So Seraphina and Thyra fought!

Who else thinks it was bound to happen sooner or later?

Let me know in the comments.

-Jessica.S

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

137 10 10
Enter the extraordinary world of Starlight Academy, where parallel realms of supernatural beings collide. Seraphina Marshall, the enigmatic queen of...
46 1 34
Aurorae was the gods and devils doing. after making earth, they also made a more advanced, and magical realm. from the sky above, the gods, angles an...
4.2K 312 30
"Let them come," he growled to his warriors. "You may try to go against the tide, but in the end, the tide is rising...I am the tide, and I will be y...
76.1K 9.5K 67
This is the second part of the book Elemental Witch ( its a long book, so I broke it down into three digestible sections) If you're still reading the...