Red Riding Hood

Von StoryTellerByFire

In the small village of Lupine, they fear the full moon. For lurking in the shadows of the dense forest surr... Mehr

Chapter One: "Full Moon"
Chapter Two: "Geralf Kruin"
Chapter Three: "Empty Desire"
Chapter Four: "I Wanna Leave & I Wanna Stay"
Chapter Five: "Sweetest Tongue, Sharpest Tooth"
Chapter Six: "Sheep Suit"
Chapter Seven: "Stalked"
Chapter Eight: "Competition"
Chapter Nine: "Tease Me"
Chapter Eleven: "Snowed In"
Chapter Twelve: "Man Or Beast"
Chapter Thirteen: "Bounty Hunter"
Chapter Fourteen: "Antigen"
Chapter Fifteen: "Lamb & Wolf"
Chapter Sixteen: "Moonchild"
Chapter Seventeen: "Second Chances"
Chapter Eighteen: "Truth & Lies"
Chapter Nineteen: "Growing Pains"
Chapter Twenty: "Monster Under My Bed"
Chapter Twenty-One: "This Side Of You"
Chapter Twenty-Two: "Getting To Know You"
Chapter Twenty-Three: "Take Me Away"
Chapter Twenty-Four: "The Company Of Wolves"
Chapter Twenty-Five: "Counting Sheep"
Chapter Twenty-Six: "Off To Granny's"
Chapter Twenty-Seven: "I'll Eat You Up"
Chapter Twenty-Eight: "Love Bites"
Chapter Twenty-Nine: "White Wolf"
Chapter Thirty: "New Beginnings"

Chapter Ten: "No Fences"

208 18 5
Von StoryTellerByFire

Jack bit his lip, watching a small smirk pull at Mark's lips. When his eyes met his, Mark's deep voice practically dripped with honey when he asked him. "Are you asking me to run away with you?" Jack gulped, shuffling his feet a little anxiously. Quickly turning away to hide his blush, he shrugged as he mumbled out nervously. "Maybe..." Jack organized the jars on the counter, trying to act like he wasn't just hiding from him. Jack's breath caught in his throat when he felt the heat from Mark's body behind him. Mark's hands rested on the counter, keeping him from a quick retreat. Over his shoulder, Mark whispered to him a little playfully. "Jack... I'm not built for city life. A guy like me needs... room to run. Small towns. Few people." Jack turned his head just a little, avoiding his eyes when he told him with a little innocent shrug. "It's all I've known... I don't mind it." Mark huffed, his warm breath puffing over Jack's neck enough to give him goosebumps. Jack quickly turned his head away, trying to suppress a shiver. Mark's lips ghosted over his neck, nuzzling up to his ear when he whispered to him softly. "Why do you really want to leave, Jack?" Jack swallowed, leaning against Mark's arm as he tried to keep Mark's lips off him to think clearly enough to answer. "I just... I feel trapped here."

Mark lowered his arm to give him a chance to flee, brushing his lips up his ear as he asked sweetly. "Have you ever tried getting out?" Jack shook his head, prompting Mark to chuckle out warmly. "If you never try to get out... How do you know that you can't leave?" Jack's eyes rolled back as Mark playfully bit his ear. Jack's legs nearly buckled under him, when Mark stepped back to gruffly tell him. "I should go. Doesn't take me that long to fix something... usually." Whirling around, Jack blurted out in his cloudy state of mind. "You're leaving? But I thought...?" Mark rubbed his eyes, until the shine of his wolf eyes faded back to his darker human ones. Looking up at him, Mark chuckled out. "Relax. I'll be back at sundown for you." Mark walked out of the kitchen and Jack felt compelled to follow him out. Mark collected his tools and the basket for Carolyn. Then giving him a broad smile, he took the meat pie and started eating it as he strolled toward the front door. Putting a hand on the front counter, Jack wispily uttered out. "Why did you never say anything to me?" Mark finished chewing, then told him over his shoulder a bit grimly. "I guess... I'm just used to being chased. When people throw themselves at you... you settle into bad habits and forget how to connect with people. You stop being yourself and become only what their expectations of you are..."

Jack rubbed the counter absently, his heart skipping when Mark smiled back at him and said warmly. "You're the only one in this town that doesn't... Although, I know you want to. I'm curious who you think I am... and maybe I'm a little starved for attention." Jack rolled his eyes at the last bit, causing Mark to add in a tender voice. "You don't take my teasing as an invitation and though it seems silly... It means something to me. You seem to know the attention that I'm seeking. Whether you know it or not." Opening the door, Mark stepped out into the snow, calling out one last time. "See you tonight." The second the door closed, Jack exhaled and sank to the floor to sit down before he fell down. He could barely process what Mark had meant, but for the first time in a long time... Jack felt warm and fuzzy all over. Hugging his legs, he let himself fall into fits of giggles as he buried his face in his arm to hide his blushing grin. Closing his eyes, he relived how Mark had touched and kissed him. What was wrong with him? Why did he feel so... content all of a sudden? He kept waiting to wake up, but he didn't. He wanted to stay in this moment forever. When he thought about his Granny though, he gasped and jumped to his feet. He wanted to make her a get-well basket.

Snatching one of his delivery baskets, he rushed back into the kitchen and gathered up ingredients. Mark might not be able to sneak stuff, but he was positive that he could. So, he planned to bake as much as he could. He paused every once in a while as people came in to buy things, but filled his time with stuffing the basket to the brim. He made fresh bread and her favorite treats. He tried to make treats that would help fight some colds using fresh vegetables and herbs. Then removing a bottle of red wine from the rack on the wall, he blew off the dust and laid it carefully into the basket. He stepped back to admire his work and think about if he wanted to add more, until a soft knock rapped his back door. Whipping his sweaty brow, Jack looked at the window and gawked at how dark it had gotten. Cooking had taken up his whole day! Not having to go home had let him get carried away in his work. Rushing to the back door, he peeked out the curtain and unlocked it for Mark. Mark slipped in, shaking snow off his boots and jacket, before sniffing the air and moaning out. "Damn, that smells good. What? Aren't you ready?" Jack winced, removing his apron as he rushed out. "I'll be ready in just a second. Hang on."

Jack rushed away to hang up his apron and snatched his red cloak. Mark sniffed the kitchen more, asking longingly. "What have you been making? I'm on the verge of drooling!" Snatching the basket, Jack chuckled out. "Please don't..." Mark's stomach growled loudly, causing him to shift uneasily on his feet. Stopping short, Jack blurted out in shock. "Didn't you eat dinner?" Mark blushed a deep red, mumbling out. "Yes... but... being what I am... I have a... a bigger appetite. I usually use this time to hunt. So... I'm hungry." Smirking to himself, Jack took an extra loaf off the rack, informing him lightly. "Here. We can split it." Mark took the loaf, then noticed the loaded basket in Jack's hands. Gawking at him, Mark playfully stated out. "Fucking hell... Why don't you take the whole kitchen to her! How big is your grandmother's stomach?" Jack shrugged, innocently telling him. "If she isn't feeling well, then I wanted to make sure that she has enough to eat." Mark reached for the bottle, chuckling out. "What's this for? To knock her out?" Jack moved the basket behind him, blurting out. "NO! It's to help her sleep!" Mark leaned closer to his face, grinning out. "Same thing."

Jack blushed, bowing his head enough that his large red hood fell to shroud his blushing face. Mark's hand reached out to brush his thumb over Jack's cheek, whipping some flour off his face before telling him beautifully. "Are you sure you'll be warm enough in that?" Biting his lip, he reluctantly handed the basket to Mark and buttoned the front of the cloak. Then unbuttoning the inside a bit, he put his hands through the long hidden sleeves to turn it into a long wool jacket. Mark raised an eyebrow, prompting Jack to tell him as he took the basket back. "What? My granny planned for it to be worn for winter and summer months." Mark lifted his chin, practically leaning into the hood with him as he whispered over his lips. "I didn't say anything... I wasn't even looking at your cloak." Mark brushed his warm lips over Jack's, encouraging them to part for him. Mark placed a light kiss to his awaiting lips, before licking something off his cheekbone. Jack recoiled a bit, eyeing Mark as he smacked his lips and chuckled out. "Blueberry muffins. Thought so." Jack raised his sleeve to whip his cheek and then the rest of his face. His sleeve came back covered in flour and muffin mix. He really needed to stop whipping his face when he worked.

Cursing to himself, he dusted off his sleeve. He was so distracted that he didn't notice Mark leaning closer, his hand moving his hood back in order to purr into his exposed ear. "I don't mind licking it off. Makes you taste... delicious." Jack shyly stepped back from him, blushing out as he avoided his eyes. "Don't say that... I... I don't even know how to respond to that..." Mark grinned devilishly, teasing out. "I know. You're so... pure. It's adorable." Jack shook his head, trying to think of something snappy to say, but Mark changed the subject by saying casually. "Come on. We better leave before your stalker shows up." Locking everything up, Jack looked to Mark for guidance as the snow fell in thick flurries around them. Gesturing him to follow him, Mark walked at a casual pace. The people that passed them didn't pay any attention as they bustled to get home and out of the cold. A group patrols finished making their rounds, then approached the hunters at the gate to tell them calmly that it was their shift. As they chatted and wished each other a goodnight, Mark grabbed Jack's arm and rushed him between two large buildings.

Kneeling by the gate, Mark pulled out what looked like a solid wooden log. When in fact, it was just the bark casing. Lifting it up, he beckoned Jack to go first. Jack peeked out and saw the steep slid into a gully of wooden spikes. As much as he wanted to complain, he didn't feel like they had the time. So, he gave Mark the basket and slid out the hole like a slide into the frozen gulley. His feet hit an upright wooden spike, but it was dug in so deep that it didn't move. Rolling out of the way, he got up and took the basket from Mark. Mark slid out next, pulling on a string that closed the hidden hole. Getting up, Mark dusted the snow to hide their imprints and silently pointed him off toward the woods. Jack wasted no time running to the wood line ahead of Mark. Slipping behind a tree, Jack waited as Mark finished dusting the trail. Jack was impressed with how fast he could work. He couldn't imagine how many times that he'd done this. After joining him, Mark finally relaxed and told him openly. "And were good. Welcome to the wild side, Jack." Jack held his basket close to his chest, asking him curiously. "Did you do that to the fence?"

Mark winced a little, pulling the loaf of bread apart to give him half as he uttered out. "Yes. Why? Did you recognize my work?" Jack nibbled on the loaf, smiling as he replied. "No. But I can tell you upgraded from regular holes." Mark chuckled, starting to walk off when he stated over his shoulder. "I had to. They kept fixing my holes. So, I had to put some of my skills to work. If they look more closely, they'll notice... but so far, they haven't. I'm trying to keep it that way." Jack nodded silently, his eyes wondering around to take in the scenery. He'd never been outside the fence, and it was strange to feel so... free. It really put it into perspective that the world was so much bigger than he knew. Mark led the way but stopped short of a worn down dirt road. Snorting with disgust, he turned to walk a different way, telling him flatly. "This way. We should avoid the-" Jack briefly looked over the road, then cut Mark off as he dashed across the road, saying excitedly. "Granny!" Mark jumped behind a tree, blurting out in fright. "What?!" Jack walked to a tree by the road and stroked a red ribbon that was tied around it. At the end of the ribbon pieces was his name and his Granny's.

Showing Mark, Jack told him happily. "Come on. Her house is this way. She said that she'd mark the trail for me." Jack's smile faded a bit, noticing where Mark was before asking curiously. "What are you doing?" Mark inched out from behind the tree, avoiding the road entirely when he snapped out. "Don't scare me like that. And keep your fucking voice down. Now get off the road. You don't know who could have left that there." Jack narrowed his eyes on Mark, telling him bluntly. "Who would go to all this trouble? I'm telling you that my Granny did this. It's safe to follow it." Mark drummed his fingers on the tree, telling him seriously. "Have you forgotten that there are wolves out here looking for you? It could be a trap. We should stay off the roads. I know a safer path through the woods up here. We can avoid the roads entirely." Crossing his arms, Jack retorted dryly. "How about this. I'll walk the road and you take your short cut. We'll see who gets there faster." Mark glared at him, a soft growl rippling from him when he told him. "Jack... No." Lifting his chin, Jack calmly spun on his heel and started up the road, saying carelessly over his shoulder. "Do what you want. I'm going the way Granny told me too."

Jack heard Mark growl out from behind him. "Jack. Get your ass back here! Now!" Ignoring his words, Jack kept following the road, pipping out in a teasing tone of his own. "You're going to get us lost in the woods. I'm going the way I was told." Mark let out a deep growl, stomping after him along the roadside. When he caught up, Mark told him sternly. "For your information. I'm a wolf. I CAN'T get lost in the woods if I tried! Why won't you listen to me? You've never been out here. I have!" Jack looked at Mark with bright eyes, telling him honestly. "I don't know that for a fact. So, I am going with my own instincts. And I don't even listen to my parents half the time. What makes you think that you can boss me around?" Mark dodged a tree, growling out his reply. "First of all, you have terrible instincts! You didn't even know that you were being stalked! Let alone that he was hitting on you! And I'm not bossing you around. I'm trying to get you there faster! You follow this damn road, and you are more likely to run into the Huntsmen or wolves!" Jack stopped briefly, turning on his heel to look at him. Giving Mark a little smug smile, he tried to be calm and sweet when he told him. "And if that happens. I hope you're still following me. Wolf."

Mark narrowed his eyes on him, his eyes flashing from human to wolf and back. Turning slowly away, he told Mark over his shoulder with an innocent hopeful smile. "Are you coming or not?" Jack walked a few steps, then stopped again to look back when he didn't hear an answer. When he didn't see Mark, Jack's heart dropped to the ground with sudden fear. Did Mark leave him? Jack started to turn back, yelping as a dark figure grabbed him and slammed him up against a large tree. Pinning him to the tree, Mark told him in a firm voice. "Got you... See how easy it is? How dangerous it is for you to put yourself out in the open." Jack's heart thundered wildly in his chest, but he took deep breaths to keep himself from showing it too much. Putting a hand on Mark's chest to push him back a bit, he asked him just as firmly. "Mark. Can you prove that I'm wrong? Cause if you can... We'll do it your way. But if you can't... I'm going to do what I know to be true." Mark stared him down, gruffly muttering out. "I told you that I'd take you to her. You follow the road, and it will take all night to get there. We go my way, and we can get there in half that time."

Jack stepped closer to Mark, whispering over his lips with more growing determination to finally do things HIS way. "Are you afraid to spend more time with me... Wolf? We do it my way... and I'll have all night to get to know you. Don't you want that?" A soft growl rumbled from Mark, until Jack very cautiously pressed his lips to his. Turning Mark's growl into a soft whine. The kiss was brief, but by the way Mark turned his head and cursed softly under his breath, Jack knew that he had won. Smiling, Jack patted Mark's chest and told him sweetly. "This way. Follow me." Behind him, Mark exhaled heavily and grumbled out to himself. "I know I'm going to regret this." To Be Continued...

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

158K 6.5K 30
"I got told to avoid them. To stay in the woods. It was the safest there. I didn't listen; I was young and stupid." His irises dilated again, this ti...
818 98 13
She'd been sent to hunt the werewolf in the woods. To deliver its peeled skin to the mourning victims of Sara-May Groove and take its head for her ow...
7.9K 378 15
"The moment we met, is signaling an end..." "This is cruel, our fate is cursed..." "No matter what we try, the ending won't change..." "Why are we a...
131K 7.5K 41
Jack Hunter is an investigative journalist, so when Crowswood, a mysterious, eerie, small town that only he can enter, reports multiple unsolved murd...