A red thread and the words un...

By JazzKatt

Soulmates are an important thing in this world, almost everyone is born with one, and when they turn ten, the... More

A red thread and the words unspoken

1.8K 143 34
By JazzKatt

Words held power. Words gave humans the ability to communicate and express themselves. The first words you say to someone left an impression, maybe that is why in this world, the first words your soulmate says to you appear on your body when you turn ten.

As if it had been written with fresh black ink, the words would stay there until the person hears them, then they'll turn golden. It was a happy thing to know that you were blessed with one since quite a few people were born without one.

That's why, when Cale Henituse turned ten, he just looked at himself in the mirror. Pale skin, flawless white skin, no words to be seen. He just stayed there and then....just went on with his life as if nothing. It was better that way, who would really want someone like him? Yes, it was better, he wouldn't drag anyone along to his misfortunes.

He was a little jealous though, people had their words carved in their skin, sometimes more than two phrases, like his father. A little unfair, he didn't get even one, yet there were people with more than one. Still, it was better to just be by himself.

—So? What are your words Cale?

He looked up from his plate, his father looking at him with annoying hope. He was expecting him to have a soulmate, and little him didn't want to hurt his father and break his hopes.

—My words....It's a pleasure to meet you— he blurted out.

—What a pity, that won't give us any hint— his stepmother said with a little frown.

At this moment Cale thanked the gods because the soulmate words were sacred and thus people usually hide them until the moment they would be heard.

—Mm— he continued his food, although it didn't taste quite right after his lie. It was fine, he was used to lying and shoving his emotions where he could ignore them.

It was alright. He would move forwards, play his role as a trashy young master, let his family be happy without him, and go away to live freely on his own as it should be.

That was at least, until he found the diary his mother had left behind. Between all the information he found in it there was something that changed his whole world.

The Thames family however...I wonder why, words won't appear on our skin, but a red thread will become visible at any moment of our lives some time before meeting our soulmate. They'll have their words, but ours won't appear until they have spoken theirs, weirdly enough, not always will it be their first words to us, but those that impacted us the most on the first encounter, like mine.

That was what his mother had wrote. Though, that didn't change anything, he might still not have one, and even if he had, who could assure him that they would love him? He was but a trash, a worthless thing that his only salvation was his family's money and status.

He turned sixteen, seventeen, and no red thread appeared, then, he turned eighteen. And a red line appeared on his ring finger. He paled at that.

How to not be afraid? He had a soulmate, someone that will probably hate him and destroy the link by cutting the words. He was not afraid of being alone, he was more afraid of being rejected by the person that was supposed to love him unconditionally. Cale had to be honest, he was someone easy to hate, even him was unable to like or love himself, why would then anyone else try to care for him?

He was always on guard after that, waiting for the moment the red thread actually connected to someone. It had to be on the worst way possible.

—Are you the son of the count?

He turned around and froze. A red thread dancing in the hair as it made it's way from his own finger to the stranger's. Black hair and eyes staring at him with a dangerous glow in them.

Cale found himself nodding as he frowned. To anyone else it would look as if he was annoyed, but he was only trying to hide his fear.

—Harris Village.

He scowled even more at those words. Cursed place, to be the reason his mother died somehow, and to also be the reason his soulmate had appeared before him. Was it a joke from the gods? Did they liked to toy with him so much?

—It was attacked and now everyone is dead, I need you to tell the count so everyone can be properly buried.

A laugh couldn't help but scape Cale's mouth. Thinking to himself that it was better for such a place to finally disappear as his mother life did. This whoever, only resulted on his soulmate thinking he was mocking his misfortune and the death of all that wonderful people that gave him a home.

—You truly are but a trash, a worthless piece of shit!!

Then it came the beating. He should have thought it better, the guy clearly looked unstable, of course, he had just lost his family and then when asking for help, a laugh was his answer. It was understandable, Cale would have beaten up anyone that dared to do such a thing when his mother died.

Anything good from the beating? Cale somehow remembered his past life. Wasn't it funny? He had no soulmate in that life, not that he cared, not many people did, after all a lot of people had died due to the monsters, words of fresh ink that looked like someone had run their fingers through it making it unrecognizable was but a usual thing to see. It only meant their other half was dead.

For that other him, Kim Rok Soo, it didn't matter. Just like with Cale, he had no one that loved him, well, he did have people he cared for and that cared for him, but they also left him. He was just a bastard destined to be alone wasn't he?

The moment he opened his eyes, he was already crying. He wasn't even able to give his first words to his soulmate, now they wouldn't cross paths again and that man will never know. Yet his red thread was glowing a bright red, like mocking him.

It was alright. It was alright. It...it HAD to be alright.

But, he didn't have time to cry over something so meaningless, because along his memories of Kim Rok Soo, came the memories of reading The birth of a hero. There was no time to think of how his soulmate was apparently the main character of the novel he read, he was more preoccupied with the story.

Since his family was rich, he was quickly healed in two days, well, mostly. Just to be informed of how Ron, his butler, and his son Beacrox had left that same morning with his attacker. He took a spatial bag and with Hans alongside him, no, he didn't threaten him, at least not that much, they went to the market and bought all the food they could in different stores then he headed alone to the slums.

Feeding that starving three took two days worth of half the food on the city, but it managed his purpose, as he gained the ancient power he wanted. He did ended taking two strays with him, a pair of siblings, no, it was not because they reminded of his old self or that stupid thought about how children shouldn't live like that.

—So you two are from the cat tribe, you can stay, but also have to be useful.

He said looking at the two kittens eating half of the food in the table.

—W-we will be useful nya!!!

—We can do a lot of things nya!

The red and silver kittens said. Hong and On, characters that didn't appear on the novel, but that were clearly useful, specially for what he wanted to do.

Barely a week after he woke up, he was riding a horse in a race towards a mountain, having but left a note on his bed and dragging along with him Hillsman and Hans, as well as the two kids.

Apparently making it on time as the small village near the mountain was not on fire. He only had to save the dragon being tortured on the mountain and then go to the capital to save his brother from losing an arm or something with the explosions. Easy.

________________

—Human, you're weird, aren't you? A weak and weird human.

The little dragon, that somehow ended with him on the mansion in the capital, grumbled as he ate his steak. On and Hong, sitting at his sides.

—I am?

—Yes you are!— exclaimed Hong.

—You saved us three, but you didn't even have a purpose, you told us to work but, you are just using us to help other people, that IS weird— said On.

"I do benefit from it if you take in consideration I'm preventing myself from dying on the war" he thought.

—Mm, I just want to end things soon to rest, if that means helping others then I don't mind doing it.

—So human is just stupidly good!

Cale frowned yet didn't say anything.

The days before the king's birthday he and the kids went out looking for the magic bombs that would make everything hell for people if left alone. Managing to find some of them. Then, an anonymous letter appeared on his soulmate's room.

The man read it and paled by the idea of a massacre occurring if the information about the bombs happened to be true. A small dragon looking at him as he went and discussed about it with his companions.

—I did as you told human, you were correct, that swordsman was really strong.

—You didn't show yourself did you?

—Hmmp, of course not, although the mage traveling with him was interesting, but I did not.

—Good, we will be there to help in case of an emergency anyways.

That's how he ended standing on the plaza. A hat covering his hair and two kittens in his arms. Then the enemy appeared, everything started to become an utter chaos, until the mana disturbance device started to act.

-Human, they have found all the bombs, but, there were only four.

"Four..?" That...wasn't like the novel. Then he saw the two assassin with the bombs flying towards the royal family and the nobles.

—Help the royal family!

His shout was lost between the screams of panick, but the one that needed to hear it did. The little dragon made his shields as Cale got into the platform with the nobles and extended his hand. This was probably going to hurt.

And it did.

—Oh my god!!

—Are you alright?!!

—B-blood!!

He was coughing blood. Actually, it only hurt at the start and then his second ancient power got to work and it made it bearable, fading almost instantly. But the others only saw the blood that, to say the least, was not just a little.

-Human!! Human you can't die!! I won't let you die! If you die I'll kill everyone and everything and then I'll kill myself!!!

Such a vicious little dragon.

—Cale..?

Hearing his name he looked up to the face of Eric Wheelsman. Fuck, he forgot to run immediately.

—Hyung-nim!!!

Basen ran to him almost crying. To make things even better, the crown prince came out to thank the 'Heroes' that had saved them. Unfortunately, that included Cale who was brought to the palace along with the others, at least he was going to take as much money from the prince as could.

Some days before that he was finally finished with his act of being sick and got ready to go, golden plaque safe with the dragon. Yet, as bad as it was his luck, he came across the other group as he was heading out.

His hand went instinctively to his wrist. It was curious, he still had the red thread in his finger, but his words had finally appeared, maybe because he hadn't say his yet and, he wasn't planning on saying them anytime soon. It was a good enough loophole that the words only counted if you said them directly to that person only and not just around them.

—Ron...Beacrox...— he said as he looked at the two, Hans was nervous behind him.

—Young master— the old butler said.

Choi Han, who he had learn was the name of his soulmate, after his memories of Kim Rok Soo appeared. Princess Rosalyn and Lock just stayed there watching. The swordsman glaring at him.

—I'm not your young master anymore am I? Is good to see you doing good, since I couldn't even say a goodbye.

The old man just stared at him. He really didn't care about him did he? Cale thought of him as a father, yet the sentiment wasn't shared. Cale was and would only be a trash young master that he had to serve just because it was his job.

Sighing, Cale took put a bag with money and tossed it to the butler who just gave him a surprised look.

—You and your new group might need it, goodbye.

—Youn-

—Hans, let's go, we have to leave the capital now.

—Yes young master.

That should have been enough gold to take care of the wolf children that apparently survived right? It was full of gold coins after all. Letting those thoughts aside, he prepared his things and left, he still had other ancient powers to get. Of course he didn't know the troubles he had to go through after that, a lot of trouble indeed.

_______________

—Such hateful words.

He almost had a heart attack as he covered the words in his wrist and looked over his shoulder. The golden dragon looking at him with curiosity.

As the kids were playing around and he found himself alone, Cale couldn't help it, he took the bracelet of his wrist to look at the words.

—Can I?— Eruhaben asked as he sit down next to him, pointing at his wrist.

Cale sighed and extended it towards him. With a beautiful golden and calligraphy, his words were almost shining there in his skin.

You truly are but a trash, a worthless piece of shit!!

It was a reminder. That he was but a trash, a worthless human being, a piece of shit. He shuddered as the dragons finger ran over the words.

—You will only hurt yourself if you keep looking at them.

—Maybe, but...this are still mine, and as much as they are mine, they are also true.

—Mm, I don't believe this are true, even if you do, didn't you save those kids? Didn't you help the elfs? Didn't you help with the jungle? Didn't you gave that little kid his freedom and a chance to live?

—....

—Even if you are only a human, you are quite interesting, not only because of your powers, but because of your actions, I wonder why they are not with you.

—I...haven't really said my first words to him.

—Then that just means it's still not the right moment.

—When then?

—You and he will know, I did have quite a shock when my soulmate turned out to be much younger than I, he didn't even had his words yet, and mine were an insult too.

—Yes?

—My words were, and I quote, Fuck off goldy leave me alone.

—....Were?

The dragon looked down and then showed him his forearm. It was the sad sight of ink words ran through with fingers, what it said, couldn't be told as it was unintelligible.

Cale, selfishly, thanked that his were beautifully golden and not a mess of ink like those the dragon had. Even if his soulmate hated him, even if it was never going to happen, Cale understood that at least it eased him to know he was alive and there was someone that was destined for him even though they wouldn't actually be together.

—If this keeps hurting you, you can still cut them.

Cutting words. Rejecting one's soulmate. Cale was sure the moment Choi Han realized he was his soulmate, he wouldn't hesitate to cut his words.

—No, I'll keep them, they're still mine.

He wanted to keep them as long as he could before they turned gray in his skin, showing the broken bond. It was bound to happen, no one really stayed in his life after all.

________________

The war was....a bit difficult, he was made commander, Mary fought with his skeletons, the tigers also joined, they also had mages, assassins, and, the heroes.

It was difficult to not say a word to him during the battles. Really difficult, but Cale had more important things to worry about. Like ending the war, get enough money and having his slacker life.

He was, tired. He wanted to rest, sleep, do...nothing. But he had work to do. Just like as Kim Rok Soo, no one could live easily, work was necessary, in both lives, it was necessary to survive.

Fortunately he balanced his plate enough to fight the half dragon and not die. Then when they won and he thought he could finally rest. He had to go to the eastern continent.

—I need your help— Alberu said with a worried expression.

Choi Han and the others waited for him to continue.

—I...had someone going to the enemy's territory, we found out about their kingdom, I was able to talk to them until a day ago and now there is no way to contact them or the people with him.

—You think they were found?— Rosalyn frowned.

—Yes, they have strong people among them, but, that doesn't mean they can be discovered, if that's the case we need to take them out of there.

—Who are they?— Choi Han finally asked.

—You...know the leader, Cale Henituse.

—What?— Ron and Beacrox said at the same time.

—I did name him commander, but he has also been working on the sides for me, he was the one to came out with the naval base, to get us the mages and the information for the war as well as managing to take Clopeh Sekka to our side.

—He...really?— Choi Han was, to be honest, surprised.

—Yes, he made contact with one of the enemy's men, he was planning to work with us to fight the white star, they were going to destroy something important but...all of a sudden I couldn't contact them anymore.

—Since your highness is asking, we will go— Choi Han finally answered.

He really didn't know why, but Cale Henituse was a puzzle for him. First mocking the dead, then saving people by putting himself at risk, somehow ending as a commander and helping win the war with no sense of self preservation at all.

Ron and Beacrox left his side as if they didn't care for him at all, but after the red haired got hurt or started participating in the war they acted like a father and brother worried about him. Although Cale Henituse like the ungrateful person he was just ignored them.

He also never talked to Choi Han, not even once, always ignoring him and interacting with the others instead. Was he that arrogant? Was it that Choi Han wasn't good enough to receive his mighty words? He wanted to hate him, really, because of how he laughed at the deaths of his family, how he ignored him, how he treated others, but, something deep inside, like a soft whisper, kept telling him to stop everytime his anger was about to get the best of him in front of Cale.

He had punched and hurt him in their first encounter and, somehow, deep deep inside he felt guilty the next day. What was so special about him? He couldn't understand, he preferred to be as far away as he could of him. But Alberu had asked for their help and he would gave it.

So they finally found about Endable kingdom, just to get there and see it was sealed by a strange power.

"He only gives problems doesn't him?" Was what he thought, that's when two kittensn, that he knew well as he had seen them several times before, appeared in front of their group.

—You! You have to help Cale!!

—Cale, Raon and Goody grams! They are all inside, we can contact them!

Soon enough the butler that always was near Cale also found them. Apparently the kids had stayed there for an emergency, but the other three were inside, with the enemy.

—We will do our best.

__________

Although Cale always thought destiny was a little bitch, he certainly never expected to get trapped in a test that a sealed God forced him into. Seeing people he had lost and missed, fighting for his life once more, almost dying on the process but we would never admit that.

It was difficult, he did get help from the crown prince that helped him after making a deal with the sun god. Knowing what was going on outside the test was somehow comforting, knowing that the kids and Eruhaben had managed to get out and get to a safe place was even more.

He did get a little happy after hearing that Choi Han had managed to take his body away from the enemy. And so saying his goodbyes he finished the test swearing that if gotten the chance he would personally slap the fucking god in the face.

And when he opened his eyes, he was on Raon's castle, surrounded by shields. That apparently, as Raon warned almost immediately after he woke up, could kill you easily if touched.

—We were worried!!!

—Don't ever go away like that!!!

Hong and On cried, not as much as the dragon offering apple pies. Eruhaben didn't waste time and took him to his room to rest, and for once in a long time Cale was able to taste Beacrox's food again.

It took a few days, but he got better from the exhaustion in his body. And one day as he was walking around, he found Choi Han alone, training. The words stuck in his chest for a lifetime pushed him to walk towards him.

Choi Han of course scowled at him the moment he saw him. Probably remembering their first encounter, probably already hating him, probably deciding just to ignore him and go away before he could talk. The black haired was clearly looking at him with something similar to disgust.

Cale didn't care anymore. He simple took out a dagger. Choi Han quickly grabbed his sword ready to attack, but then Cale just offered the weapon to him and gave a soft and hurt smile that made Choi Han's heart beat strangely.

Cale looked at him and opened his mouth. —Thank you, for saving me.

The man's eyes widened as his sword fell to the ground and his hand went to his wrist, where a burning sensation made him understood the situation. He stared at the dagger.

—Just take it, take it and cut the words, I know you won't accept me, as everyone else, just cut them and end this here.

And finally, that weight in his chest lifted. He had finally said it, and that dammed red string turned golden as it started to disappear.

—I...— Choi Han trembled looking at the dagger —You...

—Don't lie to yourself, we both know you don't want it, that I'm not good enough.

Choi Han, has always been proud of the words in his wrist. He was ten years old when they appeared. His mother had smiled brightly and then hugged him.

—My little boy will be a hero for their soulmate, I'm pretty sure you will earn their love easily! Just like your father did with me, after all, it's the person that will love you no matter what, a match the heavens have chosen just for you.

So he decided to be a good person to honor those words. Helping those in need, smiling for others, he worked hard to become someone deserving of them. Then he ended up in another world, fighting for his life, reading the words everyday to have a real purpose to keep himself alive, he had to meet this person so dying there wasn't allowed. He managed to get put of the forest and find a home. He ended losing everything again, and for the first time he killed. Was he still worthy? He had blood on his hands, even if it was from assassins.

Was he...still good?

Devastated, lost and little broken he tried to go seek, no justice, but aid to get his now lost family a decent burial. He heard the rumors of the trash of the Henituse family, but he still believed people could be good until proven wrong. They didn't even exchange words but even so that man, Cale Henituse, managed to broke the little sanity left in him.

He wanted to hate him, but he couldn't. He never managed to do so, even when it was easy to hate others. Cale Henituse was arrogant, prideful, a joke and someone that didn't care for the normal people.

Then...he said those words. The words that had been his reason to move and be who he was. Contrary to what he thought as a child, they weren't spoke with happiness or love, but with sadness and resignation.

Cale Henituse, he had known, he had known this whole time. He had avoided him this whole time because..because of...

In a panic he took the dagger and tossed it away, then grabbed the other by the arm and pulled up his sleeve. His heart froze when seeing the golden words there. Hateful words he had said, to the person that had thanked him and molded his life to what it was now.

—You can cut it, I'll understand, nothing in my life stays there forever anyways.

—Why...why didn't you tell me?

—Why would I?— he laughed — I'm just trash, worthless trash, incapable of love and from being loved, always left behind...what's the point of saying anything? Someone like you can't love someone like me, so go ahead and cut them, I'm tired of it anyways.

The moment Choi Han let go of his arm, Cale just walked away without saying anything else. The dagger waiting on the dirt next to the sword.

It was a mess, his head was a mess. The swordsman could only stood there as static filled his head, then after a few minutes, he finally looked again at his wrists. His words had been spoken with sincerity and pain, and the ones he had said to the other, with anger and hate.

He took the dagger.

________________

Cale didn't want to wake up. To open his eyes sounded like a difficult task, moving was even worst, but eventually he had to. Filled with fear he forced himself to welcome another day, going through it as if nothing was wrong. Until he went to bed again, then he couldn't help it anymore and, with shaking hands, took the bracelet of his wrist. His breathing stopping.

Golden. His words were still golden.

He stared at them for minutes, maybe even an hour, before someone knocked on the door. Then a black haired man came in.

—I will be honest with you, I tried to hate you.

"As expected" he thought.

—But, for what I can see, of how you have fought and how you treat the kids, that you are not a scum, so I want to understand.

—Understand...?

—Yes, I want to understand you, and why you acted the way you did on our first encounter, I have to know before I take any decision.

Cale stayed silent for a moment, thinking.

—It was...laughable— at his words Choi Han frowned but didn't interrupt him —My mother...she died because of a trip to Harris village, I hated that place, never wanted to hear about it nor go there, then my soulmate appears and comes from there, such a cursed place, I could just laugh.

—....

—You were going to hate me anyways, I'm but a trash, no one wants someone like me as a partner, never mind as a soulmate, that dammed place took my mother and then sends for me someone that won't want me, what do you expect me to do but laugh?

Choi Han only looked at him, this time really looking at that person that, under the facade he had built for a long time, was hiding how hurt he was.

"Ah, I can protect someone like him, was I born to do so? To protect someone that just takes the pain without thinking much?" What was his strength if not for that?

Carefully he took one step, then another, until he was on front of the other, staring at his eyes.

—I...can't proclaim love this instant, but, I do want to protect you, I won't cut my words, I want to treasure them, they have been important for me for a long time, I'm only here because of them, and because of you.

—....I'm nothing special.

—You're special enough to gave me this words that helped me in my worst, and I'm sorry mine just made you suffer.

—I...

—Cale Henituse, let me honor our bond and try to stay with you and protect you, as I said, I can't proclaim love right now, but I will try, I can't just let you go, I literally went through hell just to find you, give me a chance.

The red haired thought for a bit before saying. —Sorry...for laughing.

—Sorry for...punching you.

—I'll give you that chance, but, if you are going to leave later, at least say goodbye, the people I care for tend to go away without me being able to even say anything to them.

—Will do, but, I don't think I will need to, let's just need each other.

Cale saw him smile at him for the first time ever and couldn't help but return it. The guy really looked like a puppy.

—Don't forget we still have to deal with that white radish.

Choi han laughed. —Of course, but, working together now will help, and it will also help us get close.

—You have to know I come with three children.

—Saw them around, good kids.

—They hate you because of the beating you gave me, so start there and then come to me.

—There's work to do then.

—Much work to do.

But this time, not just to survive.

________________________

My hands are still bad but I still wanted to write this, so hope you all liked it.
I have to say, I was seriously sleep deprived while writing this so, any mistake, blame my insomnia.

Thanks for reading~

ฅ(•ㅅ•❀)ฅ

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.5K 2.2K 15
This is just a bunch of Songfics, some are sad, some are Aus and some crack. Either way pleas enjoy.
1.4K 71 11
I can't stop thinking about you. I want you to look at me the way you look at her. Even if it is just a lie. I will keep lying to myself. Until I am...
83.4K 4.4K 25
"I wish I could turn back time and change everything that happened...I wish things would back to what it was before...I wish I would get another chan...
23K 1.7K 22
What if Cale from Tboah just regressed and didn't transmit as Kim Rok Soo? You probably read multiple of these stories, so here's another one. Just...