BIRD OF PREY | a reiner braun...

By cyborrrg_

if their friendship years before, as a Marleyan and Eldian, had been a crime... then what would their love fo... More

B I R D O F P R E Y
chapter o n e.
chapter t w o.
chapter t h r e e.
chapter f o u r.
chapter f i v e.
chapter s e v e n
chapter e i g h t
chapter n i n e
chapter t e n
chapter e l e v e n
chapter t w e l v e
chapter t h i r t e e n

chapter s i x

1.4K 91 58
By cyborrrg_

AIRFEILD, MARELYAN CAMP

Gelvar sighed. He had come to the sole conclusion that morning that it was going to be one hell of a disastrous flight. He shuddered alone at the thought of the rather chilling demeanor the Dragon projected towards the Armored over dinner the night before. And he knew well that his Captain's unexpected friendliness was purposefully meant as a distraction, to stir anyone clear of ever figuring him out, throwing them into an abyss of confusion. He also knew that whatever Saito held against the Warrior was far from hatred... It was far more complicated and delicate than that. And Gelvar didn't even want to think about how the two of them would need to survive off of each other for the next couple of days.

Saito was undeniably difficult and proud. That goddamn, beastly ego of his. And the Warrior seemed equally stubborn. While he understood that they were both chosen based off of the skills they posses for the mission, he couldn't help but question if sending those two particular bullheaded idiots into the heart of enemy territory would be the best idea. They'd no doubt fuck each other up before any Allied bastards get the chance to.

But alas, he didn't want to worry himself over trivial matters. Matters that didn't involve him. He was simply content to have been spared from the mission as a whole and only be involved in the drop off. He found it comforting to see himself that his Captain was sent off properly and safely.

But the issue between the two fuckers continued to loom over him and his worries. He let out a roar of a groan as he surrendered to his concerns. If they could only just talk it out first. He banged his head on the steer in frustration. He had witnessed them talk a moment the night before, just as he was leaving dinner. They seemed to have a short conversation but it didn't look like they resolved anything. Hell he wouldn't even be surprised if their conversation only forced up some kind of new layer of defense.

"At this rate, they'll really kill each other before the operation does it itself." Gelvar sighed.

"Kill who, Gelvar?" Saito heaved his pack up before tossing himself into the plane.

"Captain." Gelvar greets him with a salute. Saito nodded in response. He didn't seem too interested in Gelvar's self muttering just moments earlier because he didn't poke further and instead settled his pack on his seat before coming up to the cockpit.

"How is she?"

"There's never been a better prepared bird, sir. You did take her apart and pieced her back together yourself..."

A smile spread on Saito's face as he peered in and inspected the controls again carefully, looking softly at it like a father would for their own child. Ugh-- Gelvar made a face out of his judgement of Saito's deep affection for his aircraft. He really do treat these birds better than he treats anybody or anything else.

But somehow... Gelvar can't say how or what exactly, but there was something different on how Saito handled the Armored. He wouldn't dare say it was gentle because it wasn't, actually it was the farthest thing from it... but... the word popped up in his head for some reason. There was something tender... and raw in his jarring attitude towards him. And Gelvar couldn't understand it because there was nothing gentle, or tender- or raw- about how Saito treated him.

In fact he seemed bitter. Spiteful. But the thing was.. he doesn't act on those clear raging emotions. And it wasn't like Saito ever let rankings or formality ever stopped him from raging freely on what he had in mind. So it was truly fascinating to Gelvar to witness.

There were just so many layers to his Captain. And he simply came to the realization that he himself, someone who was perhaps closest to the fearsome Captain, had barely scraped the surface at all.

"What is it, Gelvar?"

"S- Sir?-" Gelvar tripped over his words in a stutter as Saito's words pierced through his deepest thought like a bullet. The vice-captain took a moment to regain his composure.

"Go on. Just say it." Saito said without even a whisper of interest, his eyes still tediously on the controls.

"Well since you insist heh-" Gelvar chuckled nervously. He was walking on thin ice bringing it up. But Gelvar found a thrill on walking on thin ice. "I.. was wondering if you sorted things out with the Armored."

Saito stilled for a moment at the mention of the Armored . Gelvar felt a chill of hostility. Fuck- I shouldn't have said anything, he panicked.

"And how is this of your concern, Vice-Captain?" Saito said, regaining his motor abilities from the shock of the sudden topic as he continued back to the controls.

"It's not. But I had hoped that you would at least clear up whatever misunderstandings the two of you had before we left for the mission."

Saito leaned on the edge of the control bar. His eyes were sharp. Dark. Threatening. Gelvar shivered from catching a glimpse of it's reflection on the window. Saito spared him from his deathly glare as he looked out of the cockpit instead. He took a breath before he was able to speak again. His tone obviously held back.

"And what gave you the impression that we had a misunderstanding?"

"Misunderstandings..." Gelvar blurted out, correcting him without thinking. "I- I honestly don't think what the two of you have is just one thing..." Fuck I should shut up before Captain throws me off this bird when it's in air..

Saito however chuckled, much to Gelvar surprise. "Misunderstandings are spared for people that you've formed some type of relationships with."

Gelvar blinked at his Captain. There was regret in his eyes as soon as he said those words. "Like friends.."

"We were never friends." Saito growled as he stood up to his full height, his fingertips still at the control bars.

"I never said you two were..." Gelvar said coyly. Saito turned and glared at him and Gelvar quickly pursed his lips.

"I just don't understand.." He continued bravely- or rather foolishly. "You say you were never friends but if you weren't... He shouldn't bother you this much."

"You want to know what he and I were?" Saito snarled, surrendering. "I was an assignment. And he was the one assigned to it. For all the years I was in Liberio, Reiner was practically just appointed by my father as nothing else but my fucking baby sitter. He was a bodyguard. My servant-"

In the midst of his rage, Saito immediately realized the foul word he had used. And he hated himself for using it. He bit down on his teeth. He really was just becoming his father. A true fucking Marleyan.

"I was a favor." Saito continued, in a defeated tone. "And he took it.... We were never friends-- Never supposed to be. Never will be."

Gelvar, as frightened of Saito as he was, was always twice as bold still, and he noticed the sudden guilt on the Dragon's stone-cold face. "Had you always known.. of everything?"

"No." Saito breathed out hoarsely. "I didn't know that I was merely a pawn on his board. On his grand scheme. I was just a fucking wild card for him to get back to his glorious Titan program or whatever they call it."

"He told you this?"

"He didn't need to." Saito spat. "It was right in front of my eyes. For years. I was just too much of a fool to see it."

"Captain..." Gelvar started softly.

"It was a long time ago." Saito waved a hand carelessly, turning his focus back on the controls. "Why linger around it anymore."

"Because it is." Gelvar roared. "It's literally lingering on you weather you want or not. I don't know if you notice it at all but it's fucking sticking on you like a goddamn parasite... In fact, it's haunting you. And, Captain, it's destroying you everyday." He paused. "The both of you." He whispered in a hush before he got up, taking a cigarette and a lighter out of his pocket and made his way out for one quick last smoke before the flight.

"If it helps you sleep any easier." Saito hollered out after a long pause, right before Gelvar stepped out. "We said hello after dinner."

Saito could hear Gelvar's frustrated sigh before his heavy footsteps stomp heavily on the wings. What a fiend. He patted his aircraft gently, as if reassuring it, his only concern was the fact that Thomas was walking all over the bird's wing.

Saito then heard a grunt. And a new set of footsteps. He looked back over his shoulder, at the door, to see a heavy pack being flung in and a mess of golden hair followed closely after.

Before their eyes could meet, Saito averted his back on the panels. Somehow the only thing haunting him at the moment were Gelvar's words. It's destroying you.

Saito scoffed. He doesn't know what he's talking about. No one did. Because no one truly knew him.

And he made sure to keep it that way.

Because how else was he supposed to protect himself?

No one ever had. And no one ever will. He stopped dreaming and hoping for knights and heroes long ago.

A couple moments passed as Saito busied himself with the channels, rechecking the controls yet again before Gelvar scuttled back inside.

"Alright, boys." He clasped his hands together, another sigh escaping his lips. "Are we all set to go?"

Cold silence.

Gelvar wished he could just disappear in thin air.

Saito sighed and made his way back to his seat. He was immediately welcomed by the sight of Reiner on the seat right next to him.

Saito knew it wasn't his fault. But he didn't hate it any less. The bird wasn't designed for multiple passengers like that. And he had forgotten about that until he realized just how close he'll have to be besides Reiner during the flight.

Ugh-

Gelvar wanted to cry. It's gonna be a long flight...

As Gelvar contemplated his life decisions up to that point, Saito shoved his pride and took his seat by Reiner. They seemed to have a mutual understanding to ignore each other's existence for a moment because no words or greetings were exchanged.

Saito buckled himself in securely and he rested his head on the craft's wall behind him. He closed his eyes, trying to convince himself that he wasn't about to head straight into hell with the last person he wanted to go to hell with. Hell was meant for him. For criminals-- And sinners.

Not the cursed...

Gelvar started the engines. The whole bird rumbled. Saito opened his eyes again slowly. He glanced out at the window beside him.

His eyes caught the figure of his father outside the hangar with Commander Wagnar. They were accompanied by a few other soldiers and officers. He smirked painfully at a thought. A memory. The Commander did always liked his send offs. He blinked again-

And for a moment, he wasn't on the plane anymore.

He was on an airship-- To depart back to Hizuru.

As confused as the little boy was.. no questions filled his head. No in fact... Only the chilling silence echoed hauntingly through the deep caverns of his mind.

And as the gas started to lift the ship off the ground, his father outside grew tinier and tinier on the airfield.

Saito's eyes had never been as dark as they were that day. Or red after so many tears. Maybe even a little too much for a boy of only eleven who'd never experience pain-- to be hit with every kind of it.

Hell it hurted even more than when he received the scar that jagged like lightning on the side of his forehead.

To the boy who never knew pain. To the boy who dreamt of heroes. To the boy who lost everything...

It was that moment that he learned. Just how much crueler the world could always be. That the moment you think there couldn't be anymore pain.. You'd be surprise by how much more was in store.

And he laughed. Because that cruel realization amused him.

And because there was just no more tears he could shed...

The bird jerked as it began to pick it's speed up, lifting up into the air. Saito slowly breathed, closing his eyes again, as he could feel the aircraft leaving off the ground. Finally. In a moment he'll be airborne again. Far from the reaches of the ground. The prison of gravity.

In a moment he'll soar.

Far across the sky. Where he was safe from the claws of everything that haunted him.

At least that's how it should be-

Because instead of the peace he's always known, the tranquility he expects, the second the bird lifts off the bumpy runway, Saito felt a sudden gust of air getting knocked out of the way and loud WHAM..

His eyes snapped open in response to the sudden sound. And he immediately found himself trapped between the aircraft's wall and two arms. His dark eyes stared blankly into bewildered golden ones. Beautiful gold eyes-- Eyes that belonged to the one face he had thought he'd never get the chance to see again.

The face that was now a breath away from his own.

"S- Sorry." Reiner grunted as he held himself stiffly in place with both arms gripping the wall behind Saito with his dear life, using every muscle he had in his body to stop himself from toppling over the smaller pilot.

Saito's eyes caught the Warrior's loose buckle flapping pathetically from the speed of the bird. He realized Reiner hadn't strapped himself correctly, causing him to break from the belt with the aircrafts harsh liftoff. He figured a moment later that Reiner was probably more used to the slow and steady ride of airships than the searing and keen flight of Fighter Birds that Saito was famously known to drive.

Unfazed by the monstrous body that loomed over him, Saito quickly reached a hand out, firmly grabbing Reiner's side and securely pushing the far-from-light Warrior off of him and held him back down on his seat with a shocking ease.

Reiner was blown by how much strength Saito possessed for someone-- of his stature. The Captain restrained him firmly in place, his unyielding arm across the Warrior's chest, substituting as a seat belt as he patiently waited for the plane to balance out in the air.

A moment passed and another, which seemed to be forever. But the bird finally caught a stable current and glided serenely in it. And once it did, Reiner remembered to breathe again. And he only realized a second later that, without thinking, he had both of his monstrous grip on Saito's arm all along as if his life depended on it.

It basically did but he didn't have to show it as he did. He quickly let go of the Captain's arm as if it was a hot rod of fire. Saito scoffed at his reaction before he reached over, leaning close towards him.

A sudden lunge in the air caused a small turbulence to the bird. Saito tipped over him a bit, closer against him than before. So close that the Warrior could feel his calm breath against the skin of his neck. Reiner nearly lost his breath, tensing up. He could feel his heart in his big chest pumping harder. Every beat loud on his ears over the sound of the bird engines.

Saito grunted in frustration as he launched himself further, his lean body practically pressed against the massive Warrior. Reiner, surprisingly, felt small. His insides twisted uncomfortably. Too close... For a moment, he forgot how to breath as he crammed himself back against the wall behind him as far as his burly body could go. His fingers curled into a tight fist as he gripped a his trousers on his knees. He wished he could just jump out of the bird that instant.

"Stay still." Saito snapped as he reached over Reiner for the belt that had unbuckled loose and flailed feebly in the air. He pressed closer to the bigger man before he finally caught a hold of it and yanked it back across Reiner with a victorious breath.

"First time on a Fighter?" Saito grunted as he started to work on the buckle.

"What?"

"A high speed bird." The pilot clarified.

"I- I guess so." Reiner stuttered. He had heard rumors of the newer and faster birds, praised greatly for their speed and efficiency in the war. But he had never once thought it'd be as fast.

Or how little it bothered Saito to have been so close to him. He lifted his gaze up to the Captain's hands who was skillfully and properly buckling him. He felt snug as the belts strapped him securely in place.

"Any tighter and you'll have to undo me out as well.." Reiner attempted to strike a light-hearted joke.

Saito raised a brow as he returned Reiner's gaze. Dark eyes against rich golden ones.

Beautiful gold.

Saito quickly tore his gaze away, his hands immediately fleeing away from the bigger Warrior's belt as if it was poison or something. He looked away as he leaned back on his seat, making sure his own buckle was secure after the stretch.

"You two alright back there?" Gelvar hollered over the roar of the engine.

"Drive properly." Saito snapped back with a nasty scowl.

Reiner looked down at Saito's work on him, his nervous grip finding their way on the bind that strapped over him to keep the big man down in place. Saito glanced at him and noticed his hand on the seatbelts and elbowed him to get the Warrior to look at him before he shook his head, mouthing to him to stop pawing with it. Reiner nodded obediently, his hand reluctantly tearing away from his belt as they anxiously settled on his knees in a tight fist.

Saito's watchful eyes noticed the tremble of Reiner's fist. And he realized, to his horror, that his first thought was how he wanted to take the Warriors stupidly large hands in his own. Like he had once. So- so long ago...

Saito shoved he head down, taking shelter in his high, open furred collar, from the chill of the altitude-- from the sight of Reiner Braun.

Gelvar snuck a quick glance over his shoulder and smirked at them, behaving side by side. He sat a little taller, proud that his intentional bumpy lift off had at least some effect. Mission accomplished if I do say so myself, he chuckled. There might just be hope for the two of them yet.

[ authors note. ]
my boii gelvar out here doing god's worrrk

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.9K 655 16
| synopsis | - ๐˜๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ด!๐˜ˆ๐˜ต๐˜ต๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฌ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ ๐˜›๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜น ๐˜ง๐˜ฆ๐˜ฎ!๐˜™๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ - Definitely, opening your eyes like a titan in the world of Shinge...
84.1K 4.1K 13
eren jaeger forces his blonde headed friend, armin arlert to pretend to be his boyfriend only to make his crush, levi ackerman jealous but is the re...
6.2K 272 15
Jean Kirstein has no interest in girls. He'd tried dating and found himself often bored before the end of the evening. Competing for captain of The U...
995K 27.9K 86
Suns had always been known to be the brightest light, but anyone whose ever met one particular girl would know her smile conquered all. She loved and...