A Pact With The Prince | Brid...

Galing kay WildChild1331

[Draft 1 of Lady Whistledown's Unpublished Papers] Dear Reader, "Egredere Audacter Et Fideliter "~ Go Out Bol... Higit pa

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Author's Note
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Epilogue

Chapter Nineteen

3K 110 17
Galing kay WildChild1331

Dearest Reader,

On this fine quiet Sunday, it has been alerted to me that the Queen has finally returned from her mysterious visit to the country. In true Queenly fashion, she has arrived with a new entourage of foreigners and dignitaries. One, in particular, has caught this ear, the Fraulein Collette Von Brandenburg the older sister to Elsbeth Von Brandenburg engaged to the illustrious Sir Elliot Walters, Baronet. Why on Earth should we care about this arrival? This very single young woman is rumored to be the future Princess for one of the Prussian Princes. It is no coincidence that she should arrive here in London at the height of the season? We shall have to wait and see, our young Ms. Vincent will have competition. The game of love and marriage is not without a bit of speculation and let us hope that hearts come out unscathed.

Lady Whistledown

*********

Diana had thought she was having a rather fantastic day until her mother burst into the room with the latest Lady Whistledown.

"Competition! There is no competition!" her mother tutted. Diana glanced up from her book feeling a headache already coming on. Her mother thrust the gossip sheet into her hands, which she quickly scanned.

"Please calm down, as she said, speculation!" Diana replied despite her assurances to her mother, she couldn't help but feel a bout of anxiety invade her senses. She had not forgotten what the Queen had said and now it was making perfect sense. Diana bit her lip, she was set to attend a gallery showing tomorrow and she decided then and there she would speak with Fredrich. It was clear that while things have progressed in a surprisingly wonderful way, it was also getting complicated. 

"Diana, my sweet." Lady Vincent grabbed her daughter's hand. "The games are over, if you have intentions to have a future with the Prince, you need to make your feelings known if you have not." Diana let her mother squeeze her hand and merely nodded. To her relief, her mother left her room and once she was out of earshot Tinsley approached her.

"Don't worry miss, I've seen how he treated you the other day, there is no one else." she smiled. Diana attempted to match her assurance but for the rest of the day, she couldn't find the courage.

*********

Diana looked at the clock, she had been ready to leave their home for almost 20 minutes ago and her family still insisted on being late for the gallery showing. The spectacle had invited all of the ton and therefore Prince Friedrich would likely be there. 

When their carriage pulled up to the entry, it felt as if the whole city had arrived. Diana walked through the crowded doors of the gallery with her brother leading the way. The walls were lined with portraits, landscapes, and curious things displaying paintings of various artists. All breathtaking in their own way capturing the attention of the crowd inside. Usually, Diana would be in raptures of an event like this, but today she could not focus on appreciating the efforts of talented artists. Diana tried her hardest to get distracted by trying to spot some of the paintings her brother had donated.

"Diana, my dear I trust you will behave yourself if I leave you for a bit?" her mother whispered looking over the group of matrons that gathered. Before Diana could respond, her mother broke away, "Ah Lady Cavendish!" 

Shaking her head, Diana took the opportunity to look around to see if she could spot the tall Prince among the ton with her brother leading her through the rooms. 

"I'm afraid, I do not see him sister, but rest assured when arrives I am sure he will find you." Darcy smiled at her. Diana returned the smile, Darcy was the brother that could figure out what was on her mind accurately. 

"Where are you going?" Diana asked as he moved away.

"To gawk and stare at art." he winked leaving Diana alone.

Diana decided to do the same until the Prince arrived.  She wandered in the far corner of the gallery. To her dismay, she did not see Penelope or Eloise among the people in the rooms. The royal entourage must have not arrived yet as the patrons were actually more focused on the art meandering leisure in the various rooms.

Alone, Diana began to notice more gentlemen and older matrons nodding and smiling her way. It was a strange observation as if they knew something she did not. As she turned out of the room, she caught sight of the large party at the far end.

The royal entourage was great indeed, drawing the attention of many. The Queen leading the way was directly in the center being escorted by Prince Friedrich. He looked very much the royal as ever, the curl of his blond hair not out of place, the suit sharp and heavy with his military honors. Diana would be lying to herself if she didn't melt just a little at the sight of him, remember not too long ago his warm gaze and lips were solely focused on her. 

The party also consisted of the usual court that the Queen surrounded herself with alongside Sir Elliot Walters and the younger Von Brandenburg arm in arm with their usual stiff composures. It also included the anticipated newcomer, the elder Collette Von Brandenburg. Diana stared curiously with the crowd, it was immediate to her who Collete was, having similar features as her younger sister. She was tall, beautiful in a statuesque way, elegantly walking with her sister and Sir Walters. Diana knew she was made to be a Princess, her breeding shone through with each step she made. Demurely she seemed to steal glances beside her toward Prince Fredrich. 

"Beautiful is she not?" Darcy appeared next to her whispering.

"Absolutely," Diana replied as they watched the group stop at the host welcoming them. 

"But not as beautiful as you. Don't forget that sister." Darcy smiled warmly.

"You are biased." Diana chuckled lightly pinching him.

"Not quite, since mother began to interfere I've had many inquiries by families of eligible gentlemen." Darcy winked.  

"And my value is because I've been able to get these inquires?" Diana rolled her eyes, she also wondered if her sizeable dowry had also influenced their interest. 

"Of course not, but since you have been so focused on the Prince you haven't noticed the others and quite frankly, some are spurred with the challenge." he replied.

"Are you saying I should consider others?" Diana asked frowning, she didn't like the idea of being a cow to be won. Darcy did not reply raising his brow before looking at the royals. Friedrich smiled murmured quietly in the Fruelin's ear and enthusiastically guiding her through the room, leaving Diana with a sour taste in her mouth. "Marrying a Prince comes with...much consideration." he muttered frowning at the sight as well.

Diana moved away, ignoring him quite surprised that her brother would divulge such things. As she watched among the crowd, the ton murmured as they gawked the Prince and the Fruelin. Many whispered that she would be Princess before the season was out. However, this presented another challenge as it became impossible for Diana to try and get his attention as he was solely focused on the beautiful guest. Diana never thought she could feel the bite of jealously but there it was coiled around her heart.

It became clear to her that the royal entourage kept a circle around the young couple. The patrons did not dare try and breach their party and Diana did not dare as well. The Queen was very strategic in ensuring that the couple would not be disturbed. All hope degraded as the afternoon wore on, Diana conceded that she would perhaps try again at another event. Her dismay caused the art around her to feel dull and lifeless. So she wandered around listly through the rooms.

"Ms. Vincent." A clear cool voice brought her back from the darkness of her thoughts. It was Cressida who observed her curiously. 

"Mrs. Allenspark." Diana curtsied and attempted to move past her, confused at her acknowledgment.

"Walk with me." Mrs. Allenspark said, offering her arm. Diana took it begrudgingly, having no means of escape.

"I have been meaning to speak with you since I saw you with the Prince." she said quietly.

Diana glanced around worried about eavesdroppers looking for a piece of gossip. 

"I'll make it quick, I know you'd rather be anywhere else but I only mean to offer some advice that might help you." she said. 

Diana glanced up at her mouth agape. Cressida's tone had turned softer and it was then Diana noticed a kind of peace on her face, a gentleness that was clearly hidden under her sharp veneer.

"Why are you offering this advice?" Diana asked recovering from her initial shock.

"Because I know what it is like, despite his attentions last year to Daphne I had also managed to hold some of his interest." Mrs. Allenspark looked forward. "Daphne did not have the pleasure of experiencing the royal circle as I did." 

"I doubt it was pleasant." Diana grimaced as she stole a glance at the Queen.

"Correct, because Daphne wasn't serious with him and I was, the amount of manipulation I was exposed to was quite the experience, even as third in line to the Prussian crown."  Diana had always suspected this of that sphere, she remembered conversations between her mother and father many years ago about Parliament and dealing with the court.

"I am aware there are surely many things that come with marrying a Prince, but I'd like to hope that it can be endured....together." Diana said.

"There are many things, you should be aware any promises made can be broken and don't lose yourself to the crown, you are still young and obviously naive." Mrs. Allenspark frowned. "But, stand your ground and make sure he stands on his." 

Diana considered her words as they continued through the next room. 

"There are many people in that circle who would see you fail and... at the time  when he began to focus on Daphane, I began to notice that the Prince despite his good intentions had not taken control of his life as I was led to believe." Mrs. Allenspark frowned. 

Diana absorbed her words, it was no secret that he had left Prussia, many assumed it was a rebellion to finally take matters into his own hands when it came to marriage but now the tendril of doubt that Diana had taken hold with Cressdia's words. It was becoming very much a possibility that he was merely delaying the inevitable.

"Do you think he would fight for....what we have?" Diana whispered turning to face her. 

"That remains to be seen but you know him best at this point so if he does have the fight, he must promptly utilize it if he wants to be happy and be prepared when the Crowns don't get their way." Mrs. Allenspark said releasing her arm. Mr. Allenspark had caught her attention and was smiling warmly at them. 

"Thank you....Cressida." Diana smiled squeezing her hand. The small gesture seemed to surprise her, so in return, she nodded. 

"I personally believe you make a charming couple, if you do become Princess, I would daresay you would probably bring new life long overdue." she grinned, her usual sneer replaced with something more genuine, leaving Diana in wonder of who Cressida really was. 

Diana walked out of the room in search of her mother. It was when she rounded the corner she quite literally collided with someone.

"Excuse me." Sir Elliot Walter adjusted his coat, looking down at Diana in disdain.

"Apologies Sir Walters." Diana replied stiffly attempting to move around him.

"Wait." he commanded. Diana almost ignored him but propriety made her turn and plaster any sort of smile to hide her dismay and curiousity.

A/N: The sh!t going down is going to a somewhat of a slow train wreck but I'm a sucker for pinning, angst, and petty crap. ;) 

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

143K 3.7K 28
The tale of Her Majesty The Queen Dowager of Württemberg unfolds not as a fairy-tale love story with a happily ever after but as a narrative of growt...
73.6K 2.8K 26
~Made me say, You know what I like, like, like, like~ ~ I'm alright on my own, But with you I'm in the zone~ Love was something most people forgot du...
204K 6.8K 31
Delilah has never truly had a good relationship with anyone. Her father had made it no secret that he did not want her and had not paid her any care...
222K 5.6K 23
Kathryn Bishop had a great life. She grew up with loving and supportive parents and a younger sister who she got along with. Mr and Mrs. Bishop were...