One Last Game -Haymitch Abern...

By xoscreamxo

The life of a victor isn't always great. Amelia Sawyer knew that all too well. After winning the 67th Hunger... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Epilogue
The End

Chapter 35

9.2K 316 13
By xoscreamxo

Amelia gasped as she returned to the surface. The water was colder than she was expecting. She swam quickly to the rocks beside her, pulling herself up. Luckily, the person beside her went to the other side. She began sprinting down the rocks. Beside her, others were doing the same. They were all headed to the Cornucopia.

Every year, the Cornucopia was a blood bath. Amelia knew this year would be no different. The words Cinna spoke to her last replayed in her mind. She had to kill. She had to keep Katniss alive no matter the cost. That was exactly what Amelia was going to do. Whatever it takes.

Her feet slipped on the damp rocks, but she managed to keep her balance. Amelia got to the Cornucopia rather quickly, but others were close by. She grabbed a light weapons bag, which held a few knives. Amelia reached for a spear when her eyes caught sight of someone behind her in the reflection of the metal. She turned to her side just as an ax came down. The ax hit the metal, causing it to bounce. Amelia moved quickly and without thinking. Grabbing one of the knives, she jammed it into their hand as they reached for a new weapon.

The man from District 9 screamed in pain. He pulled his hand back, taking the knife with him. Amelia moved quickly. She still had no idea where Katniss and Peeta were. Grabbing a tactical machete off a random bag, she spun around. The knife cut the man's stomach wide open. She kicked her leg forward, knocking him face-first into the water. He didn't move. The water was tinted red around him.

Amelia blinked a few times, realizing what she had just done. It had all happened so quickly. One second she was fine. The next, she was brutally killing someone. There was a cannon, followed by another. Looking up, she noticed Katniss and Finnick running towards something. Following their gaze, she noticed they were running towards Peeta and someone else. They were fighting in the water. Amelia stuck the machete in the bag and grabbed another for Peeta. Once she had everything she needed, she sprinted towards them.

A cannon echoed, causing her legs to wobble. The games had only just started, and so many people had already died. Amelia watched as Peeta swam towards Katniss and Mags. Whoever he was fighting was dead. He had killed him. Finnick had jumped into the water in order to help, but Peeta didn't need his help. He had done it on his own.

"Amelia," Katniss said as she approached them. "You're okay?"

"Yeah, are you?" Peeta and Finnick climbed out of the water. There was no response, but she wasn't expecting one. None of them were okay. "Here, Peeta." Amelia handed him the weapon.

He graciously took it. "Thank you."

Finnick was out of the water next. Amelia's eyes fell to the gold bangle that he was wearing. It belonged to Haymitch. She felt a tinge of anger at the sight. "Come on." He ducked down for Mags to jump on his back. She did.

The group of five began running down the rocks and into the forest, where it was safer. Peeta and Amelia led the group into the trees. The older girl clutched the weapon tightly in her hand. She was prepared for any type of surprise. She was ready to kill anyone who came towards them.

Amelia hadn't processed the kill she had already made. Truthfully, she didn't expect herself to. There was nothing easy about taking a life. Even if it was in self-defense. Someone was dead because of her. That blood was forever stained on her hands. Sadly, it helped knowing she was going to die. Amelia wouldn't have to live with the repercussions of her actions much longer.

The group ran through the trees. Each step brought them deeper and deeper into the jungle. It was hot. Amelia had never been so hot in her entire life. The thermal outfit felt as if it was sticking to her body. "Hold up," Finnick pleaded from behind them. They all slowed down. All of them needed to catch their breath anyway. Finnick had to carry extra weight because of Mags, who couldn't keep up. "Okay." He set down the older woman. Amelia bent over, trying to catch her breath. "Are you okay?" He was speaking to Mags.

Amelia knelt on the ground, wanting to take a moment to rest. The others did the same. In the silence, she examined the area. It was tropical. Birds and bugs everywhere. "God, it's hot." They were all sweating. Amelia rubbed her arm over her forehead in an attempt to remove the sweat. "We need to get fresh water." In this heat, they would need water soon in order to keep going.

Three cannons fired. There were three more dead Tributes. It was both a good and bad thing. It meant there were fewer threats, but also lives were gone. Nobody wanted to be here in the first place. Nobody deserved to die at all. "I guess we aren't holding hands anymore," Finnick laughed.

"You think that's funny?"

Finnick pointed at the sky. "Every time that cannon goes off. It's music to my ears. I don't care about any of them." His words were alarming.

Katniss grabbed a knife. "That's good to know."

"Do you want to face the Career pack alone? What would Haymitch say?" Amelia tensed at the mention of Haymitch.

"Haymitch isn't here."

Peeta looked between them, noticing the building tension. "Let's keep moving."

Amelia agreed with him and stood up. Katniss and Peeta began walking, but she didn't. Once they were a few steps away, she grabbed her machete. Before Finnick could bend down to pick up Mags, she pressed the weapon against his chest. The blade faced his throat. Finnick stared at her. "If you even think about betraying them. I'll slice your throat open before you can even raise that trident."

A twisted smile appeared on his face. "I believe you." She eyed the bangle he was wearing. Finnick noticed instantly, but he didn't say anything.

Amelia lowered the weapon and turned around. She didn't trust Finnick. Honestly, she didn't trust anyone around Katniss or Peeta. They were her responsibility and hers alone. She would protect them no matter the cost.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Amelia had no idea how long they had been walking. A while, she concluded. It had been a while. She was sore, tired, and thirsty. Every now and then, thoughts would creep up on her. Each time, she forced them away. There wasn't time to remember her old life. That was long gone. Any time she thought about Haymitch, her emotions would return. They couldn't return. Cinna gave her very clear instructions. She had to become numb. She had to shut everything else out.

Peeta was leading the group. Amelia stayed in the back behind Katniss in order to protect her. It was silent between the group, and she was thankful for that. She couldn't imagine what they would talk about. There were five of them in this alliance. Amelia knew Mags wouldn't last long. That upset her. Mags was a kind woman. Finnick was a considerable threat, but attacking them would be stupid. It was three against one. Neither of them would turn on the other.

Katniss looked around. She noticed Amelia close by and felt content. She was a strong fighter and could easily defend anyone who came up from behind. Amelia looked up as Katniss turned around. Although, her steps faltered. "Peeta, no!" Peeta swung his weapon down on the forcefield. There was a loud sound, something she couldn't explain. His body flew towards them. Amelia didn't have time to prepare. His body hit Finnick, who fell into her. She hit the ground hard but recovered quickly. "Peeta?" Katniss crawled towards him. The blond boy wasn't moving. Smoke was coming off of him. That wasn't a good sign. Amelia's heart ached at the sight. Katniss flipped him over. "Peeta?" He wasn't moving. "He's not breathing. He's not breathing."

All Amelia could do was stare. She had known Peeta for a long time. They had become good friends. Losing him terrified her. Finnick pushed Katniss to the side. Katniss grabbed her bow and prepared to kill him but stopped. Finnick was trying CPR. He was trying to save Peeta. Amelia wasn't sure why. The point of the games was to kill people. Not bring them back.

To her right, Mags was crying. Amelia crawled towards her, wanting to comfort her. But it wasn't just for Mags. Amelia needed comfort as well. "Come on, Peeta." Finnick breathed into his mouth.

"Please, wake up." Katniss was crying. She couldn't lose Peeta, not like this. "Come on. Please, wake up." Amelia wanted to cry but held herself together. She wanted to feel hopeful, but hope in the games was stupid.

"Come on." Finnick breathed into his mouth again. Amelia held onto Mags tightly. "Come on, Peeta." He began doing chest compressions again.

"Peeta, Peeta," Katniss cried. Finnick breathed into his mouth again and pushed on his chest. This time it was different. Peeta woke up. He gasped for air, causing Katniss to cry in relief. "Peeta?" She placed a hand on his cheek, causing him to open his eyes. "Oh my god." He was okay. Peeta was alive.

"Be careful. There's a force field ahead."

Katniss laughed, pressing her lips against his. Amelia wasn't surprised. She knew they loved each other, but life was hard for them. "You were dead." She pulled away first. "Your heart stopped."

"It's okay," Peeta said. "It's working now."

Amelia smiled at his words. "Do you want to stand up?"

He nodded, "yeah."

Katniss helped him stand up. Amelia stayed beside Mags. Words couldn't describe how she felt inside. Peeta was still alive. That was enough for her. The moment he was standing, Katniss flung into his arms. She was shaking in a way Amelia had never seen before.

The girl glanced at Finnick, who was watching them. It was clear he was starting to believe their love story. "It's okay."

The sight of them caused Amelia to miss Haymitch. She knew he was watching. Knowing him, he wouldn't part from the screen. Wanting to watch every second of what was happening to them, to her. She would do the same thing if the roles were reversed.

Luckily, they weren't. Amelia found resolution knowing Haymitch was alive. Knowing that he would survive made the situation easier. "We should keep moving," Amelia spoke. They couldn't afford to stay in one place this long. It was dangerous.

"Right." Katniss pulled away from Peeta.

They started moving again. Amelia stayed beside Finnick as he helped Mags. Katniss grabbed a few rocks. As they began walking, she threw them at the force field. This allowed them to walk with some protection on one side.

Amelia held her machete tightly. The Careers were still out there, along with others. There was a chance there were one or two other alliances. Another group coming at them could be dangerous. There were five of them, but Mags wasn't a fighter. Going against another alliance would result in major causalities.

She pushed the hair out of her face. It was hot, incredibly hot. Her hair was starting to stick to her neck. Katniss continued to throw rocks at the force field. Amelia moved in front of Mags, keeping an arm out. The older woman smiled appreciatively, holding onto her elbow. This helped her move easier.

Right now, Amelia would do almost anything for a glass of water. "Hang on," Katniss spoke from the front of the group. She slung her bow over her shoulders and began scaling a tree. Amelia assumed it was to get a better vantage point.

She decided to take a moment to sit. If there was a chance to take a break in the games, you took it. Preserving energy was the most important thing. Finnick helped Mags sit down, but Peeta kept his eyes on Katniss. He didn't want anything happening to her.

There was a rock roughly a foot in front of her. On top of it was a lizard. They stared at each other. Amelia thought the creature was pretty. It was green and yellow in color. It sat there for a second but scurried away when Finnick kicked a rock.

There was the sound of rustling, and Amelia instantly went on high alert. However, it was just Katniss climbing down the tree. "The force field," she spoke once on solid ground. "It's a dome. Right now, we are at the edge of the arena. I didn't see any signs of freshwater." They needed to find water soon.

"It will be dark soon," Finnick said. "Setting up camp with our backs protected would be smart." Amelia agreed with him. "We can take turns sleeping. I can take first watch."

Katniss laughed, "not happening."

Finnick stood up, an annoyed expression on his face. Amelia watched him closely. "Honey, that thing I did back there was called saving his life. If I wanted to kill any of you. I would have already."

Amelia hated that she agreed with him. "Okay," Amelia looked between them. She didn't want to listen to another argument. Instead, she turned on her heel and stepped off the rock. She wanted to set up camp for the night and get as much rest as possible.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.9K 424 47
Katniss Everdeen, Victor of 66th Annual Hunger Games at the age of 12, meets Finnick Odair, The 15 year-old Capitol Heartthrob. Katniss has trouble a...
12.4K 239 23
Amity Tides may have survived the 70th Hunger Games but will she survive the life of a victor? - A Finnick Odair x OC love story [This is a MATURE bo...
30 0 15
The 50th Anniversary of the Hunger Games comes to Panem with a surprise - double the victors will be reaped from each district. Double the odds and d...
15.9K 146 33
Esmeralda Theo, a young girl from district 12, won the 66th Hunger Games; being the second youngest to ever win. Now with all her trauma from the gam...