Moon Bound

By Caranyx

𝟏 | π“π’πžπ 𝐭𝐨 𝐖𝐨π₯𝐯𝐞𝐬. __ Accalia Larren was born into a bloodline of hunters. A hunter family th... More

I
II
P R O L O G U E
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
39
Book II

38

460 41 174
By Caranyx

Part I
The coffin in the cave
~
Cadence
~

The forest was blanketed in black, the headlight unveiling the bleak and dreary woodland that were encompassed with trees that nestled tightly together in a weaving labyrinth.

Frankie was right, this would be the place to bury someone.

Tristan put the car in park, but no one made the move of getting out, watching the woods intently that seemed to welcome them with a dark delight.

"That's creepy as fuck," Erisa piped up and clutched Cadence's shoulders, moving off her seat. "Not only are we doing this at night, but with a nocturnal creature. All of us signed away our deaths."

Cadence turned the music down, the tunes no longer offering any comfort. She clicked off the seat belt that seemed to tighten around her as if a snake was wrapped around her, preparing to crush her bones.

She patted at her pocket for what felt like the hundredth time and was met with the harsh metal. A breath sigh left her lips and faced Tristan whose face had suddenly turned grave.

"Do you have any torches?" Cadence asked Tristan.

"In the back."

Cadence got out, no air or sounds to greet her, just the crackling beneath her feet and dead silence.

Strolling to the back of the car, Cadence lifted the boot and used her phone as a flashlight to scour through the many duffle bags and pieces of junk Tristan had.

She loaded her arms with lanterns, headlamp flashlights and other items that could be useful. She wasn't about to be bathed in darkness if Tristan switched the car off to save petrol and battery.

Loading up her arms with as much as she could carry, she closed the boot and turned to head back to the car.

"Hello, Cadence Larren," a voice echoed through the blurry darkness.

Cadence froze in her steps and narrowed her eyes, the flashlight revealing the shadowy figure.

"Alexene," Cadence responded curtly. Behind her, a peel of doors opened and slammed. "I brought some friends, I hope you don't mind."

Alexene came closer to the light, her porcelain skin harsh as marble and ghostly pale, brightening her ruby red eyes. She smiled wickedly, eyes stuck on Cadence. "Everyone needs a friend, Cadence Larren."

Cadence wondered what she met by that, but didn't dwell on it. She handed a lantern to Erisa, a flashlight to Tristan and a headlamp torch because she didn't trust Thea to not drop anything if she needed to run.

Cadence placed her hand into her front pocket and pulled out the pretty necklace that dangled before Alexene.

An arousing hunger scorned across her youthful features and her teeth bared, revealing sharp fangs.

"Want this?" Cadence asked, a hint of tease in her tone.

Alexene looked to the hunters, fangs baring and eyes brighter than before. Her watchful gaze locked onto Thea, annoyance crossing her face. "Don't fret, little one, I ate before I arrived."

Thea trembled and flung herself into Erisa's side, looping her arm through hers so she wouldn't leave her.

Erisa jutted her chin and squared up. "You look to be about her age." She observed, scanning the vampire.

"Try a few hundred years older, Erisa Jaeger." Alexene grinned.

Erisa's face paled bone white

Alexene's black hair curtained her demonic face, showing her long nose and white teeth. "I've known hunters for a very long time ... that's part of the reason how I am familiar with all of you."

"Part of the reason." Tristan spat, holding the flashlight up.

Alexene winced against the light, so faintly Cadence almost didn't catch it. "Ah, Tristan Larren, William's oldest and most loyal. Never turning your back on dearest father. Your beloved sister has her own loyalties now from what I have seen."

"Shut your—"

"Careful, boy," Alexene hissed, raising a finger, "I can slit your throat with my nail without anyone realising until you bleed out. I don't take kindly to little boys that think they're men speaking out of turn."

Cadence held the locket to Alexene closer than before to distract her. "Take it. I want this done with."

Alexene leant forward, looking wistful and thoughtful as her face froze in thought. "I'm afraid, Cadence Larren, I need one more thing from you."

"What now?" Cadence growled out, thinking that stake would come to be really handy right now.

"The necklace will unlock something," a wicked grin pulled across her thin lips and she pointed behind her, "in there though. In a cave."

"Why can't you do it?" Cadence demanded.

"Lycus is very capable, putting every possible measure in place. It's warded against me, a vampire, just as his home is. I need to be invited in by the owner." Alexene explained.

"You're saying Lycus owns a cave?" Cadence almost laughed.

Alexene confirmed with a nod and said, "I told you, very capable and paranoid. He not only thought he killed me amongst many others of my kind but wouldn't allow anything to haunt him afterwards. All you need to do is place the necklace in its rightful place in the cave and that is it. You'll never see me ever again, Cadence, I can ensure that."

Ever again ...

Cadence tossed the necklace back into her pocket, placing her hand over it. Her thoughts rang with Alexene's statement. She could be walking into a death trap, but that would defeat the purpose of stealing the necklace. Alexene is calculating and cunning. If she wanted Cadence dead, it would be done by now.

"I'll take it to this cave, but you realise there's hardly any paths in the forest right?" Cadence drawled, feeling bodies tense up beside her.

"There are paths," Alexene pulled a rolled piece of paper from her coat and handed it to Cadence, "I've drawn every possible path and way into that cave. Do this and our agreement is done."

Cadence scanned the map with her light before looking at Alexene once again. "Any threats in the woods?"

Alexene grinned eerily, "Only me for now."

Before Cadence could ask anything else, Alexene seeped into the shadows and didn't resurface.

"What the fuck! That's the vampire? She's weird as hell, she's like that weird bitch that would want to play hide and seek!" Tristan yelled, throwing his arms to the air.

"I'm going into the woods," Cadence confirmed and didn't look back if she had the same people by her side before they came into this mess.

"Cadence, I think we should think about this," Erisa said, trying to sound rational.

Cadence twirled on her heel, holding the torchlight up and tried to withhold that hostile emotion that wanted to form on her face. "There's nothing to think about, if you don't want to help, piss off. I told you guys not to come but you wanted to act tough and you had it under control."

It came with her words and she rolled her eyes, a twinge of irritation puncturing inside her.

Tristan came up to her cousin and slapped her shoulder, digging his fingers in to keep her in place. "It's not like that, Cadence and you know it."

Cadence smacked Tristan's hand off her and snarled, "You don't get it, do you? I went against an Alpha, Accalia's mate. He could be on his way here as we speak and if we don't do this, it's either going to be Alexene that kills us for not getting this done or Lycus killing me anyway."

No one moved, beguiled by Cadence's outburst and if moving would set her off further. She grounded her teeth together, feeling her pulse lodging in her throat. "If you guys don't want to come, then leave. I won't be angry if you do, but you're not stopping me."

Cadence turned back around and treaded into the entrance of the woods with no anticipation in her feet, but a dreading and sickly feeling to consume her instead.

Tristan insisted on leading the way, trailing in front of the girls with the map in his hands and looking at it every few minutes.

About an hour ago they found a narrow path fitted with a tight warren of forest on either side of them, nothing to see but trees and darkness.

Cadence strayed to the back, scanning the area with the flashlight now and again, feeling eerie if she didn't look over her shoulder to confirm nothing lurked behind them.

The others kept to themselves after Cadence's outburst, but they didn't leave, much to her surprise. Much to her displeasure.

"I don't think we're far," Tristan called to the girls.

"It's nearly two in the morning," Erisa groaned, "What an epic Friday night. Woohoo!"

Cadence cracked and laughed, picking up her feet to walk beside the girls.

"Ah, look at who came to join us and not be all brooding and serious." Erisa puckered and pinched Cadence's cheek.

Cadence waved her off and flickered the flashlight at her face. "Had to be on the lookout and protect you girls, 'cause if anything happens, we all know you're gonna be the one to fall on your ass first."

Thea laughed and wove her arm through Cadence's, locking her in place. "At least I'm not stuck at home, Dad is a little strict. He wasn't even going to let me sleep at Erisa's."

"Are you gonna tell him what you're doing right now?" Erisa asked curiously.

Thea bit the inside of her cheek. "N—no. Not risking it."

Cadence and Erisa shared a look and both ruffled Thea's straggly hair.

"Sure thing, Ghost," Cadence murmured.

"Hey, can I take this stupid lamp thingy off my head now?"

Cadence shook her head at Thea, "No can do, kiddo."

No quakes, cracks or snaps wept through the forest and the hunters fell into a muteness that followed through with the a deadliness.

Tristan stopped dead in his tracks, Thea bumping into him and nearly falling on her behind if it wasn't for the girls holding her in a vice grip.

"We're here." Tristan confirmed.

The girls rounded on him, standing in a straight line and all raised their hands with the lights, showing an outline of a rocky cave and the entrance of looming shadows.

Erisa sent a wary glance to Cadence. "Well, you wanna go in first?"

"Weakling." Cadence remarked.

Erisa gestured to her and the cave, a smirk on her lips. "By all means, huntress, lead the way to hell because it sure as hell looks like that's where we're gonna be."

"It doesn't look too bad," Thea squeaked like a mouse, "I mean it looks like the home for a dragon."

Cadence's heart constricted, Thea's bane innocence was more potent than ever. Why did she want to come here?

"Fine then, you wait here, Erisa, and keep watch," Cadence said snidely and flicked the light to its brightest point, knowing she will need it.

Tristan rolled up the parchment paper and stuff it into his bag, holding up the lantern to eye level. "Let's get this shit over with."

The Larren cousins walked in, no feet following after them and Cadence expected nothing less. She didn't mind they didn't come with her, something could be stalking them without their knowledge. It is best to place eyes in all corners.

They didn't walk far into the dark and rocky cave, but it seemed to go on forever. They walked on sand that crunched under their boots, water that seeped into their socks and rocks that had to be climbed over.

"Lycus really did all this? For fucking what?" Tristan growled.

Cadence patted the locket with her hand and came to a dead halt, flashing the light at the standing coffin that leant against a stone wall. "For that."

The coffin itself was mantled in obsidian, entrapped with large metals to wrap around in constant bindings.

Cadence's dreams flashed around her in a rippling halo and she stumbled, bracing for the floor.

Tristan came to her side and pulled her up to her feet. "What was that? Don't tell me you're all clumsy now."

Cadence's lips parted, throat dry as she locked on every angle and shape of the coffin. Something horrid crawled into her stomach and clenched as continuous flares of dreams shook through her.

Being inside the coffin, unable to move or have anyone to hear your voice. Knots built up in Cadence's throat and she ushered a strangled gasp, knees buckling before she collapsed to the floor once again.

Tristan crouched down and grabbed Cadence's face with rough hands. "What's wrong?"

"I—I feel strangled ... suffocated!" Cadence wheezed, the nightmares becoming a reality and every fragment of Vaela's vision coming to life.

Tristan hoisted her up and held her hard enough so she didn't fall again. "Is it the funny lookin' coffin?"

"It's more than that," Cadence heaved and tried to mellow out her breathing, taking a deep breath in and out. "I can't explain it. It's like I've been here —I've been in that coffin."

"Cadence, you haven't. There's no way. It must be Alexene fucking with you — don't let anyone control you. Just deal with the locket."

Cadence nodded, closing her eyes and stood straighter, stronger. "Okay, okay ..."

Cadence fumbled for the locket, gripping it with her shaky hand and slowly faced the tomb, walking up to it. She flashed the light at the coffin and acutely examined where the locket would need to be placed.

It's nothing, Cadence. Nothing.

And it stood at the centre of the coffin. An odd shape was wedged in, a hole needing to be filled and completed. Unlocked. The tomb needed the locket.

This will be over. Completely done and finish.

Cadence looked at the necklace once more, knowing she'll never see the wretched piece of jewellery ever again. The red liquid in the glass of the item whooshed and swirled around in her hand.

She placed the jewellery in the centrepiece of where it needed to be placed and simply pressed, locking it in. Immediately, the blood vanished from the glass, disappearing as though it was never there.

Frowning, Cadence turned on her heel, hairs on her neck bristling up and went back over to Tristan. "Let's go."

Tristan didn't object and they left for the woods. "Cadence what do you think is in there? It looked made for a—"

"—Monster. Did you see the amount of iron and metals it took to contain it? It doesn't matter, it's not our problem anymore." Cadence responded, seeing the two figures of Thea and Erisa in the distance that made her walk faster.

"Thank fuck it's no longer our problem," Tristan said, a shit-eating grin on his face.

Cadence couldn't return it.

It was nearing four in the morning by the time the hunters made their way through the gnarly and thick forest, the faintness of the moon appearing and meeting them in a holy hailing.

A shift of different air enthralled them and they could finally breathe again.

Cadence could almost smile at the notion that her end of the bargain is completed as is Alexene's.

No more being strung along, threatened and having a target on her back with a list of deaths being in danger. They were safe, without harm and she finally smiled at that.

Accalia came to mind, how confused and frightened she would be from all of this. Falling on her lap, a collection of secrets being unearthed that directed to her mate.

Lycus haunted Cadence's thoughts more than ever. For one thing to heave off her shoulders, another must fall. Whatever happens with him, she'd take it head-on and without mercy. If Lycus wanted to kill her, Cadence would give it her all to do the same.

Thea froze heading back to the car, falling back into Erisa's side and weaving their arms together. "Its back." She whisper-shouted.

Cadence's smile fell, a grave sighting filling her face and the closer she came, the more on edge the hunters grew.

Cadence locked sight on the two bags Alexene was carrying and she laughed at the sight. Two blood bags that were meant for the sick rather than a ravenous vampire.

"I'm gonna be sick," Thea gagged and fell beside the car, face paling.

"Is that for us?" Cadence drawled icily to Alexene.

Alexene came to a gentle pause and gave a pretty, pristine smile, no lines etched on her face. "Not you or me."

Cadence's blood ran cold and she knew the vampire was referring to the cave they had come back from. She crossed her arms to ease warmth back into her skin. "There must be something really dangerous in that coffin, huh?"

Alexene passed the hunters and came to the door of the forest. Turning back, she bade Cadence a jerky nod and it was only meant in farewell. "I'd like to thank you, Cadence Larren. I hope your existence is unpredictable as I assumed before I met you."

Cadence didn't know why, perhaps it was the relief of this being done with, but she gave a curt nod to Alexene in return. They'd never cross paths again, both would make sure of it.

"You sure we shouldn't kill her now?" Erisa whispered into Cadence's ear.

Cadence considered that. Four stakes, four crosses to ward her off, why not finish Alexene off the way she promised she would if matters didn't sway her way?

"Our bargain is done, Erisa. I don't know if you realise, but she was turned when she was a kid, she's messed up and I have a feeling Lycus created that for her. We'll let her live." Cadence murmured.

Erisa nodded, sweeping Thea's fringe out of her face who looked to be on the brick of collapsing from exhaustion.

They all watched Alexene creep into the woods with graceful steps and saw her disappear.

She wouldn't be able to go into the cave, so what would she be doing with the blood bags? Cadence thought to herself. She shook her head, shaking off the questions that she didn't care to have answered and gestured everyone to the car. "We have a long drive ahead."

Tristan yawned, running his hand through his unkempt bun and grabbing his car keys.

"Do you need me to drive, Tris?" Cadence asked. She didn't want to rest anytime soon.

Tristan nodded and tossed her the keys. "Better not leave a scratch on my car,"

The hunters loaded the car up, tossing their weaponry and torches in the back and shutting it with a bang.

"Let's never come back here again," Thea shuddered and hopped into the back, Erisa following after her.

Cadence looked around, knowing this place would carve a staining memory in her mind. The coffin, the cave and the effort it took to get here. It would never leave her.

A crackle creaked behind her, the footing of shoes stamping along fallen leaves and Cadence whipped around, clutching her stake that she had yet to get rid of.

Alexene appeared like she never left, clutching the two blood bags and looking as if she saw monster worse than her.

Alexene's eyes dilated and she tilted her head, almost as if she was trying to hear something no one else could pick up on. "Why are you still here? Get in your car and leave."

Tristan slipped out of the front seat and came to Cadence's side, looking down at Alexene with a glower. "What the fuck is the problem now? Don't tell me you want to eat us."

"Stop waiting around and leave!" Alexene shrilled, peering around her shoulders and looking strangely on edge. "I don't know if I'll be able to control this. Too strong after too many years of restraint. I thought you'd be gone by now."

The Larren cousins glanced at each other, mirroring the same cautious and confused look. But neither delved into her words and spun around to the car, dashing to the doors.

Cadence came to her side of the car, fumbling for the keys and as she saw movement shifting in the corner of her eye, she froze.

Emerging from the woods was a being taking its first breath of air in centuries.

Cadence nearly choked at the sight and backed into the door. A tall and lean figure, malnourished, famished and completely deprived, made its exit through the forest.

A notion of agonising and uncontrolled fear took hold of Cadence and she was unable to move, feeling as if the roots from the earth curled around her ankles and held her in place.

But it was all in her mind and she was positive this was too because it had to be. This couldn't be.

It was a boy. A man. a dead man stumbling out of the woods as though he was trying to grapple the understanding of walking.

His skin was grey, flaky and decomposing, Cadence could see his bones sticking out and his ribcage widening when taking a breathe of air.

Lycus was hiding this — a man.

His breathing seemed to level with hers, for every shedding gasp he took, every faint and full breathe he inhaled, Cadence did the same. The difference, he was trying to regulate his breathing, whereas Cadence couldn't fathom the idea.

Alexene called to him wistfully, trying to capture his attention and took a step toward him. He recoiled into himself, burying his gaunt head into his hands, incapable of hearing anything else than what he was used to.

He was used to himself, his voice and the silence of his cage.

Alexene came toward him, much shorter against his 6'5 height and extended her hand, showing the blood bag.

He stiffened, bones constricting through the skin and Cadence gently clasped the doorknob. She looked in the car, Thea and Erisa were petrified, peering at the window to her and gesturing with their arms to get her in.

Tristan had his gun in hand, moving it through the crack of his window in the direction of Alexene and the walking corpse.

Hesitantly, the man looked at Alexene, realisation crossing his wide eyes and he took a rocky step forward.

Cadence wedged the door open and a creak followed through. A warm brush of air fanned the back of her neck and her hairs stood up.

"Don't." Alexene pleaded and Cadence didn't have to know who stood behind her, breathing her scent in as his cold nose brushed against the back of her neck.

Cadence clutched the stake and whirled around, raising it to slam into dead skin and all she saw were his eyes, the whites of it forbidden in black and the irises bleeding red. It was a combination she couldn't think to consider.

A snarl came out of his throat and he clutched Cadence's wrist in a death grip, shaking the stake out of her hand. It clattered to the ground and she lifted her leg to strike him down.

He moved his leg away from her kicks and gripped her other wrist, the vice hold tightening and strong enough to snap her bones without much effort if he wished.

Cadence flinched, eyes burning with fury and spat, "Better release me, my cousin has a gun facing right at you."

A click sounded from behind her.

The man didn't comprehend her, face shifting slightly and colour reviving into his body like he was becoming alive again.

Dimples stapled his cheeks and his mouth opened, revealing fangs from the bottom and top. More fangs than a vampire should have.

He gave her a ghostly grin and it seemed no time passed, seconds too short and days waning in a blur as his canines latched onto Cadence's neck and began to drain her dry.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.3K 995 28
After losing both her family and pack in a massive rouge attack, Elyse spends 3 long months on the run. While being chased, she has no other option b...
6.2K 623 61
πŸ‘ | π“π’πžπ 𝐭𝐨 𝐖𝐨π₯𝐯𝐞𝐬. Third instalment of the Tied to Wolves series, must read 'Moon Bound' & 'Blood Ties' in order to read this. -- Accal...
691 197 14
Lycan's were the first beasts created by the moon goddess to protect gods creation; the humans, from Lucifer's creation; the Vampires. Once the dark...
16.2K 459 34
The Lycans came to earth for only one thing .. MATES. One wrong decision from Lycan king changes everything in the Lycans planet. Moon goddess Durga...