Vicious || Aomine D.

By jendarle

[ Aomine x OC ] "Love is vicious, it tears you apart as soon as you start to believe you could have it all." ... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four

Ten

5.2K 168 11
By jendarle

[ Look after him, will you? ]
_____

Due to the injury Kagami sustained in the match against Touou Academy, Seirin's following two losses hardly came as a surprise. However, they didn't fold without a fight. Though their journey in the Interhigh tournament came to an untimely and unfortunate end, Riyo admired Seirin's willpower. Everyone gave their all to win even after they knew they'd already lost. It was a rare trait.

Riyo had seen teams stop trying before the second half at the mercy of Teiko's miracles. When faced with an impenetrable wall of talent, the light in their eyes dimmed. They'd allowed themselves to be broken by the overwhelming strength of their opponent. One after the other, they'd always given up.

She'd seen up close the effects it had had on Aomine and the rest of the miracles, witnessed their egos and arrogance grow, and with that, their love of basketball shrinking, giving way to the obsessive need to win, no matter the cost. Somewhere in that process, she herself had been deemed a nuisance and a burden to the team. An irrelevant piece of the puzzle without which the picture was already whole.

Riyo shook her head lightly to banish the unwelcome memories that threatened to flood her mind. She was determined to close the door on that part of her life. The Kiseki no Sedai had deemed her unworthy, and she wouldn't pine for people who didn't want her. No. Riyo's only objective now was to get through high school without incident. After graduation she'd figure out what she wanted to do with her life, perhaps she'd follow in her father's footsteps and apply to America for college. It could be the fresh start she so desperately needed. Or maybe she'd move back home to help take care of her siblings. She knew her mother would appreciate it.

Transferring from Touou to Seirin had undoubtedly helped her put some much-needed space between her and Aomine but she was still surrounded by the remnants of her life at Teiko, the most prominent being Kuroko. She did consider him a close friend and appreciated all he'd done for her, regardless he was a blatant reminder of her past, and another connection to Aomine she couldn't sever. Not yet anyway.

"You'll be able to train and ease back into basketball again, Kagami-san," the doctor's words pulled Riyo from her thoughts.

Beside her, the red-haired boy perked up in his seat.

"But before that," the doctor added, his tone carrying a stern warning, "you need two weeks of absolute rest."

Kagami stiffened and clenched his fists, clearly unhappy with the doctor's orders.

"Thank you, Yoshimoto-san," Aida interjected before Kagami could voice his grievances.

Had the coach not intervened, Kagami surely would have argued. He wasn't by any means the type of guy to submit to orders he didn't like, but even he had to respect the doctor's expertise as well as his own health. He couldn't risk worsening his injury. He had a real chance at a professional career that he shouldn't throw away by playing with an injury.

The doctor nodded politely. "When you do return to training, remember to start slowly and if any pain occurs, come in for another visit. I want to be sure there's no permanent damage." He directed his words at the uncharacteristically silent boy who was studying the floor like it was the most interesting thing he'd ever laid eyes on.

Riyo could almost feel the frustration radiating off him. Two weeks without exercise and more importantly without basketball were bound to put him on edge. Now more than ever, Kagami would want to be pushing himself on and off the court to grow as a player enough to win the Winter Cup, this year's second top-tier high school basketball tournament. To beat the miracles.

"I'll make sure he does," Aida spoke again, reassuring the doctor.

"Good."

Riyo forced herself to flash the man scribbling something on his clipboard, a tight smile accompanied by a curt nod before the trio scurried out of the examining room. The gesture was her way of saying thank you and goodbye, all wrapped into one.

As soon as the hospital doors closed behind them, Kagami stormed off in the direction he and Riyo were headed without waiting for her. If she tried hard enough she could see the storm cloud looming above his head. For a few beats, the two girls merely stared after him. Aida snapped out of her daze first.

"Bakagami..." she grumbled under her breath, so low Riyo didn't quite catch her it.

"Huh?"

Aida's gaze snapped to her and she quickly waved it off. "Nevermind." She paused and an expression somewhere between worry and frustration crossed her features. "Look after him, will you, Miyo-chan?"

An unexpected pang of guilt pierced her heart at the words. Riyo had promised to look after someone else once, someone just as stubborn and hot-headed.

And by transferring to Seirin, she'd broken that promise.

8 years ago

The boy with navy blue hair and a basketball tucked under his arm dashed past his mother and Riyo before disappearing out the door in a rush. Standing in the entryway at his house, Riyo was left staring at the open door that exposed a view of their street on a sunny weekend.

A heavy sigh from someone on her left snapped her out of her stupor and Riyo turned to the woman. Daiki's mother was a beautiful woman. She had long hair the same color as her son's, delicate features, and fair skin that accented her deep blue eyes. If not for the frown on her face, she would've looked fifteen years younger than her actual age. It wouldn't have surprised Riyo if someone would've told her that Daiki's mother was often mistaken for a model.

"He's hopeless," the woman muttered under her breath. Shaking her head, she met the gaze of the small girl still standing in her house. Her expression softened into the warm smile she often reserved just for Riyo, her son's best friend. "You know, I'm really glad you two are friends. I don't know what he'd do without you. You and Satsuki are probably the only reason he ever leaves a basketball court." The woman let out a small chuckle. "If it weren't for you girls, he'd never make it to school."

"He would," Riyo piped up. "He's smarter than he looks. He wants to graduate."

Daiki's mother raised a brow. "You think so?" Riyo dipped her head in a confident nod that made the smile on the older woman's face widen. "Not many people see him the way you do."

Riyo reciprocated with a grin of her own. "He's my best friend!" she announced with pride blooming in her chest. "I know him better than anyone."

She left out the part where she thought she knew him better than he knew himself.

"I see." The woman tapped her chin with her index finger. "You care about him."

The notion seemed ridiculous. Of course, Riyo cared about him. They wouldn't be best friends if she didn't, they wouldn't be friends at all.

"Of course."

"Then promise me something," Daiki's mother pleaded. "Promise me you'll look after him."

Riyo's brows knitted together in confusion. She didn't understand why his mother would ask something like this of her. She also thought it obvious that she'd always have Aomine's back.

It's what you do for the people you care about.

"He's gonna need someone in his corner."

The young girl still didn't quite understand what was being asked of her or why, but she knew one thing. He was the person she couldn't imagine her life without.

"I'll be there for him, I promise."

Riyo schooled her features to hide her unchecked emotions.

"I will."

There was nothing she could do for Aomine anymore but she could help Kagami. Besides, after letting her stay with him, she owed him.

_____

[ AN ]

Hi!

A huge thank you to anyone who's reading this story and voting and commenting. Seeing people enjoy it always makes my day! And just a friendly reminder, I'm still kinda figuring out how this story is taking shape so please bear with me.

I hope you have a good day!

x Jen

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

134K 4.7K 33
NOW BEING RE-WRITTEN AS 'OVERGROWN' AT ACCOUNT @ginxvras [teiko era] When Hirai Akane arrives at Teiko Middle School, she has a clear set of goals a...
156K 5.9K 33
After leaving the Generation of Miracles, the feeling of hurt and betrayal has turned Kuroko into an even more quiet person. He rarely smiles anymore...
418K 10.9K 115
Kurosaki (F/n) is a very kind girl that everyone knew well. Being able to be part of the generation of Miracles and the only girl in boys basketball...
64.7K 1.5K 8
Kuroko got accepted by the Generation of Miracles fairly quickly. The other teams wonder why when Kuroko isn't that talented in basketball, besides p...