Keep the Ghost

By ScottKelly

Kayla is about to fake her own death. The teenager has met a couple of strangers that claim to be experts on... More

1. Lacuna
2. The search
3. Conscience
4. Conspirators
5. Causeway
6. Detective
7. Truth
8. Cell
9. Stash
10. Banks
11. Plea
12. What you know about dying
14. Crossing the gulf
15. Gulf
16. Are you Sean Reilly?
17. To be dead
18. Who I was
19. After life
20. Then you refuse to speak
21. Hospital bills
22. Tile
23. Escape artists
24. Smoke
25. This time, no drowning
26. What I haven't done
27. What to do with everything
28. My many faces
29. Responsible living
30. Faking a life
31. I blinked
32. Reunited
33. The passenger
34. Belly
35. The MAD doctrine
36. Grandfather
37. Run
38. Dragged
39. As I stood across the gulf
40. Fingerprint
41. Mud
42. Rock at the bottom
43. Getaway
44. Unlightenment
45. Aural
46. A return to the water
47. Glimmer
48. The American tourist
49. Once more into the gulf
50. Of ghosts and shadows
51. In peace there's nothing
Shadow Box

13. Corpse road

1.2K 131 1
By ScottKelly

Yesterday morning, I woke up with nothing. I’ve still got all of it. 

Thirty hours awake. It’s six AM, and I’m walking toward the inevitable. More precisely, I’m walking down an empty suburban street to Kayla’s house. There’s something I must deliver.

Nice neighborhood. Lots of trees, well-kept lawns, no cars parked on the street. Basketball goals for the kids, luxury cars for mom and dad. Here and there, a bike tipped over in the lawn, a forgotten toy left undisturbed during the night. 

Sweat drips down my cheek, despite the cool morning. The small stub of a white candle rests in my pocket, and I feel it rub on my thigh as I walk. Someone else’s burnt out memory of Kayla McPherson. 

Can’t feel my feet—I only get a slightly dizzy sensation as my head bobs, as though I am disembodied and float to my destination. 

Behind it all is the sense that I’m not actually here, and this isn’t really happening. 

The McPherson home draws near. A house more modest than its neighbors: no stone pillars, no light fixtures drawing a path to the front door. A place I was once welcome.

 I’ll be arrested immediately if I’m caught here, I know. But, this has to be done. My feet press against the curb and crunch across the grass, slick with dew. 

I’m on the doorstep. The vague shape of their living room is outlined through the frosted glass panels of the door. As I lean down, I push against one for balance. A clear handprint is drawn from the morning’s cold condensation. 

I push a red envelope beneath their door. 

And then I walk away. I’ve got a long way to go, and the sun is just rising.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

84 0 22
An sixteen almost seventeen year old boy lost his only way of income and the only place willing to allow him to call it home was taken from him. Now...
715 41 46
This is about a 12 year old girl. She and her brother are the only ones left in the Thompson family or are they? Then she meet...
Just Press Play By Lexi

Mystery / Thriller

2.6K 40 34
Kayla Wigmen killed herself. Before she did, she made these videos of the story of her life. All her secrets, and the people who hurt her, everything...
223 21 12
This family is hailed as the perfect family by almost everyone in their community. They seem to have it all: a tight bond, wealth, recognition, respe...