Moon Bound

By Caranyx

𝟏 | π“π’πžπ 𝐭𝐨 𝐖𝐨π₯𝐯𝐞𝐬. __ Accalia Larren was born into a bloodline of hunters. A hunter family th... More

I
II
P R O L O G U E
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
37
38
39
Book II

36

390 36 101
By Caranyx

Highway to hell
~
Cadence
~

"There's no way—no fucking way," Tristan laughed, slapping his thigh and close to falling off his chair.

Cadence's face was deadpan, not understanding the humour in all of this and not caring to. "It is. All of it."

Resurfacing every moment that has led her here had Tristan choking for air, disbelief marring his hard features as he fought to control his laughter. At least, she made the point to gloss over Accalia's and Lycus's budding relationship, he may die of laughter.

"Vampires exist? Fuckin' hell ..." Tristan said with a huff and choked back on his can of beer.

Cadence rolled her eyes and said, "Yes, you idiot. I've already told you this, Franklin Jaeger even told me. Urgh, I'm not going over this with you again, will you come with me or not?"

Time was withering away and Cadence's patience hang on a thread. If her cousin couldn't offer his help, he can piss off. She didn't come here for anything, didn't trek it through the woods and catch two buses to get here for a family reunion.

But sitting here now, she was positive she'd leave with crushed pride.

Cadence came here, to her home because she knew only one person would truly be by her side without a hint of distrust but throughout this month, weeks draining on without any contact, she wasn't so sure.

Cadence slapped her hand on the table, a shake rumbling through the kitchen. "Answer me!"

"Cadence," Tristan groaned, shaking his head and fitting her with a dark glower, "just let me finish my beer first and then we'll go."

Cadence shot up to her feet, a roguish smile teasing at her lips and she slapped him on the shoulder. "Thanks, bud."

"Only if we take Erisa and Frankie with us though ..."

Cadence's smile fell and soured into a scowl. "No!"

Tristan downed the rest of his beer and got up, his hair almost brushing along the roof. "Don't be stupid, from what you've told me about this bloodsucker, she seems worse than the Alpha of Alphas. We don't know this threat and it's best we go with a bunch of us."

Cadence leered up at him, still not budging. "I told them I wanted them out of this. You realise the vampire threatened to kill not only you but them too, right?"

Tristan gave a careless shrug and tossed on a white fitted t-shirt. "You have something she wants, she'll cooperate."

Cadence rolled her eyes again and stifled a sneer. "They can't come, it would be—"

Cadence froze, her sentence cutting into silence like ice as she spotted a tall and burly man in the doorway. Grouchy and grim as ever.

"Hello uncle," Cadence acknowledged with a short nod and crossed her arms, eyes narrowing.

William stepped forward into the light and Cadence grimaced. His gaunt face had sunken eyes, purple bags dancing beneath them and a long unkempt beard, with streaks of grey. With that gnarly expression, he looked like an absolute mess.

And rightfully so, Cadence couldn't help but think.

He didn't even acknowledge Cadence, nothing out of the usual for her and headed over to the counter to light up a cigarette.

Smoke brushed along Cadence's nostrils and she coughed. "Wanna take that outside, old man." Cadence spat with disgust.

William's yellow teeth showed and sneered, "Don't disrespect me in my house, Cadence Athena Larren. Piss off if you don't like it."

"Wouldn't be the first time." Cadence shot back, grasping the handle of the dagger that stuck to her side.

William's dark eyes squinted, similar to Accalia's without the warmth and took in Cadence's ragged appearance. "So tough, just like my sister. You know that got her killed, right?"

Cadence stepped forward, rage pulling her forward and taking the forefront of her mind. She's already threatened to hurt someone today.

"Don't talk about my mother, she died with honour, you'll die with regret and guilt, old man!"

Tristan came behind Cadence ushered her back, pulling her lanky form into his stocky side. "Take it easy, cousin. Let it go. I'm going to get some stuff, you message Erisa."

Cadence gave him a side-way glance, unimpressed by his motive that would lead to a blood bath. She didn't want anyone involved, she hardly wanted to seek out her cousin's help but she knew she wouldn't be able to go through it alone.

"And you," Tristan gestured to his father with a finger, "Sit down. You both better not be dead by the time I get back."

I definitely won't be, Cadence brooded and leant against the pastel yellow wall.

Tristan fled down the hall into his room and rummaging could be heard clattering down the echoey hall.

William took a seat and inhaled the cigarette, blowing out the smoke and drifting in Cadence's direction.

"How's my daughter?" William asked, taking another long drag.

Cadence's mouth fell open and raised her thin brows. "You have a daughter? I didn't know that."

William laughed humourlessly, leaning back in his chair and pursing his lips. "Where have you girls been these past few weeks? I haven't heard from any of the relatives or other hunters on your whereabouts."

Cadence held back a snicker, giddiness tickling at her stomach. "We've been with Lycus Fenris."

William stiffened in his seat but quickly relaxed, looking smug. "Surprised he hasn't killed you yet, big mouth."

Cadence clapped her hands together. "You'd be surprised Uncle, Lycus isn't all that bad. Should I tell you, he cares for Accalia or will that piss you off?"

William looked to the ground and something shifted in his features that mirrored Tristan but gave an essence of Accalia. "He'll kill her eventually, just wait and see."

Cadence clenched her jaw, not appreciating that one bit. She's seen it with her own eyes, the longing Lycus has for Accalia, the emotions he thought died and buried as his lycanthrope curse became stronger and lively.

Cadence didn't like Lycus, knew her head would be on a stick for her actions, but she wouldn't ignore the plain adoration he has for Accalia.

Cadence considered the case for her, if someone were to fall for her in such a way and how it would be her ruin. Their ruin.

"Lycus wouldn't harm Accalia like that, you don't know jackshit." Cadence exhaled, not trusting her voice that just came out with that. Damn him.

"I know lycans, girl, I know lycans can kill their mates and I know Lycus will do the same one day. She's a hunter, that will make him want to end her." William sneered, fitting his niece with a reclusive look.

"Whatever you say, you old bastard." Cadence remarked and William staggered to his feet, about to round the table.

Tristan resurfaced and drilled a piercing look into his father's head.

"Where are you off to, Tris?" His father barked and sent Cadence a leer, blame written all over him.

Tristan tucked his gun away, his hair was tied in a bun that revealed a hard face directed at his father. "Me and Cadence are goin' on a hunt. I'll be back soon."

Tristan wrapped an arm around Cadence's shoulders and urged her to move to the front door.

William said nothing in return but slumped back in his chair, grabbed a beer from the table and began chugging it down as though his life depended on it.

Night had fallen upon them and Tristan unlocked his car as soon as they were outside, both hopping in.

"Did you message Erisa?" Tristan asked, starting the car and it roaring to life.

Cadence huffed and placed her feet on the dashboard. "No, I told you that's a bad idea."

"Cadence, we're in a car with no clue of where we're going. You said Frankie knows his stuff, we gotta ask him for help. I'm not walking into this blindly with a creature we barely know." Tristan grumbled and reversed out, taking off down the road.

"I know a few things." Cadence protested and put her seatbelt on as Tristan drove faster.

"Fuck up. If you don't message Erisa now and tell her about the locket I'm driving this car back home and you can go at this yourself. Frankie Jaeger can help us, Cadence." Tristan remarked, shifting gears and putting the window down.

Cadence had already considered it. Going at this alone, sword and silver — she envisioned her demise after giving the locket to Alexene. The vampire would kill her on the spot, maybe drink her blood and everything would come full circle.

Already regretting this, Cadence pulled out her phone and shot Erisa a message that she hoped would be responded to quickly.

"Happy?" Cadence gestured to her phone, pointing at the message.

Tristan looked, scanning it over and pulled a wolffish grin. "Wasn't hard, was it? And get your boots off my dashboard or I'll chop your ankles off."

Cadence moved her legs to the floor, unsure if he was serious or not. "That's brutal."

"Don't even go there with the shit you've told me. Alphas fighting, Accalia almost being attacked and a vampire wanting Lycus dead ..." Tristan trailed off and shook his head.

Cadence bobbed her head, looking to the phone every few minutes and clutching her jacket pocket every passing second. "It's going to get worse, Tristan."

Tristan looked straight ahead but Cadence saw his head shake stubbornly. "No way in hell. We give the locket to this Alexene chick and be on our way. Whatever happens then, that's between her and the lycan."

Cadence wiped at her forehead that was matted in a cold sweat, not believing his words in the slightest and unable to argue with him as to why.

Just because she's informed Tristan of all of this doesn't make him knowledgeable in the manner. He didn't know the aftermath Cadence already predicted, the betrayal made, how she could potentially ruin Accalia's connection to Lycus over this.

Tristan didn't know the desperation that led Cadence to threaten murder and upheaval. Cadence didn't even tell him that Alexene appeared as a young girl that looked doe-eyed and innocent, but could truthfully string someone up in the air and be strong enough to snap their neck.

The device dinged and Cadence almost dropped it, too lost in thought.

Erisa: You found it? Get here as soon as you can I just told Uncle Frankie and Thea has a school holiday so she's here too. See ya soon.

"They want us over there now." Cadence informed Tristan.

Tristan whistled lowly, bobbing his head to the music as he turned it up. He leant over and ruffled Cadence's hair. "We'll be there within an hour. Maybe half an hour."

Frankie tilted the locket to the side, just a smidge and what looked to be a ruby diamond swayed also, like a tiny ripple of redness.

"That's gotta be blood," Thea pointed out. "Why would there be blood in there?"

Frankie inspected it deeper with his glasses, pulling it up to his eyeball and Cadence swore she saw his body recoil at the sight.

"I believe that reason would reside with Alexene and the Fenris brothers, but for whatever reason, it was all intentional. They need the blood for something." Frankie said pensively, releasing a shallow breath.

"I didn't," Cadence shoved Tristan with her elbow, "want to get you guys involved, I still stand by that, but —"

"—It's best we go at this with a force the vampire won't expect. I suggested you guys tag along." Tristan finished for her, casting a wicked grin her way.

Frankie passed the locket back to Cadence who tucked it away securely, patting it over to check if it was still there.

"Tristan is right Cadence, you can't go at this alone. We don't know how old Alexene is. It's similar to lycans, the older they are, the stronger they will be. Vampires a manipulative, cunning and take what they want, leaving everything else into dust." Frankie sighed and then took a seat, taking his glasses off to wipe at his eyes. Maybe to wipe away the remnants of blood.

Cadence nodded stiffly and watched as everyone gathered around the table. Erisa had passed Mila to Thea who cuddled her to her chest, taking a seat on the floor. Tristan leant against the doorframe, flashing a silver gleam of his gun for everyone to see, a cocky grin playing at his lips.

"I'm going give it to her whether you guys want that to happen or not." Cadence clarified. They had a deal, Cadence will uphold it, hoping her life wouldn't be a part of it.

"I'm not saying you don't, we don't know anything about Alexene besides her conflict with Lycus. Have you told her you found it?" Frankie questioned.

Cadence shook her head. "Haven't yet. Wanted to come up with a plan which lead us here. I don't know where to go from here."

Cadence was at a dead end with too many options that could lead her down one deadly path. She had to message Alexene soon, but what occurred after is what stopped her from doing just that.

"You want this done, Cadence, tell her," Frankie said sternly. "While you do that, everyone else get weapons. I need to find some crosses."

"Crosses?" Erisa questioned with a quirked brow, looking amused.

Frankie rose from his chair and nodded. "Yes, Bub, a cross. It repels them. They're considered demonic in the old books." He disappeared down the hall shortly after that, leaving everyone else at a standstill.

The aura smothering the room didn't lighten and Erisa laughed, eyes brightening with glee, but Cadence detected it as nervousness.

"Give me my cat back," Erisa said to Thea. "I need to wrap my head around this shitstorm."

Thea frowned, clutching the kitten harder and scattered down the hall, Erisa chasing after her.

The Larren cousins regarded each other and a part of Cadence was grateful Tristan came along even if he drove her up the wall.

In times of danger, Tristan would take on the role of the protector, safeguarding everyone behind him to throw himself first. Cadence took that onto, but they did it for different reasons.

After a long while, Cadence figured out she did to feel closer to her mother as that's what Katerina Larren would do. Hell, that's what got her killed.

Tristan came to Cadence's side and clutched her shoulder firmly. "Message the bloodsucker and send her a photo of the locket for good measure. By the way, you didn't tell me how hot Erisa is now." He gave a low whistle and gave a thumbs up.

Cadence shoved him away, seriousness working up her spine and pulled her phone out. "Erisa is off-limits."

Tristan held his hands up in mock defence. "Oh, and why's that?" He wiggled his brows at Cadence.

Cadence gestured to Tristan's gun, then made her hand into that shape and brought her fingers to his forehead. "Because — poof, that will be your head if you mess with her and she'll be the one shooting. She's doesn't like male attention, leave it at that."

Cadence already knew she said too much and made a point of giving Tristan a dark look, leaving him to wonder in silence.

"That's what you named the bloodsucker?" Tristan piped up after a moment and his laugh boomed through the cabin.

"Should've called her something worse," Cadence said tonelessly and quickly typed out the message to Alexene.

Cadence: I found your stupid necklace. Tell me where to meet you so I can give it to you and have this done with.

Cadence laid out the locket on the table and hastily snapped a picture to send. "Now we wait," she breathed out and pocketed the necklace once again, securing it in place.

"You still think we shouldn't have included Accalia? You know she might be annoyed about being excluded." Tristan said, a darkness looming over his shadowy face and rocking on his feet.

They briefly discussed Accalia on their way here and still, Cadence stood firm as to why she hadn't told her anything. Accalia's connection with Lycus could blind her and it was a risk not worth taking.

"She's best where she is and Lycus had to stay out of this until I got the locket. They're too ... together now, he's very protective over her and they will know about everything with the letter I left her. And let's be honest, Tristan, your sister always hated being at the front of a fight." Cadence said frankly and made her way over to Frankie that returned into the living room area with a large box in his hands.

Erisa and Thea trailed behind him, trying to tackle each other to the floor and battling for the kitten who dashed around the corner away from them.

"Will you two behave yourselves!" Frankie seethed, placing the box on the table and a blanket of dust flying up.

Thea slammed her hand onto Erisa's head to get back to her feet and shot Frankie an apologetic smile. "Sorry, Mr Jaeger."

Erisa bared her teeth and whacked her inky locks out of her face before staggering to her feet.

Cadence's phone dinged and she jumped, a shiver passing through her. Grabbing her device from her back pocket, she observed the message with a grim feeling taking over her.

Madam Dumb Bitch Bloodsucker: You even sent me a picture, Cadence. I must say, I'm pleased with your efforts. The night is young, but won't be for long. Meet me at the edge of Kara forest around midnight. Do yourself a favour, Cadence, don't attempt to trick me. See you soon.

"Kara forest," Cadence said, looking up and meeting everyone's watchful eyes. "Where's that?"

Frankie pointed a finger at Tristan, urging him to the bookshelf on his right. "Get that map on top the shelf, son."

Tristan did just that and splayed it out on the dinner table for all eyes to see.

Frankie smoothed it over and inspected with his glasses. He inhaled sharply and brushed his forefinger along the whereabouts of the forest on the map. "That's a gnarly forest, kid, it's a good thing you're bringing others with you."

Cadence peered over and saw that the forest was near the blue part of the map, right near the ocean. "Why's that?"

"First and foremost, no human goes there. There are too many trees and not enough paths. A lot of caves, filled with many animals and for whatever reason, she wants to meet you there, it would be a good place to get rid of a body." Frankie said, his glasses falling on his crooked nose and waiting for Cadence's reaction.

Cadence reared back, touching the front of her pocket as coldness iced through her, pooling into her insides as if she's been stabbed. "Tristan and I will go at this alone."

Thea jumped up, innocent face igniting with frustration as her lips sealed together and looked ready to throw tantrum. She looked to Erisa for help.

"You can't do that, I'm coming with you," Erisa said and strolled over to the couch to pick up her black leather jacket to put on.

"No—" Cadence began to say, but Erisa sent her a look she hadn't seen in a long while. It was enough to silence her.

"Shut up, Larren. Stop being so strong all the time, thinking you can do whatever the hell you want without others caring for you. I'm going, I'll go with you in Uncle Frankie's stead — he's getting a little old now. And Thea, you're also staying here, kiddo." Erisa flipped her hair out of her jacket and her black eyeliner made her eyes look like a viper ready to strike. She pulled her hands up, looking hesitant. "But I do want one those crosses, I don't wanna die from blood loss."

"I'll be seventeen in a few days, you guys aren't the boss of me!" Thea grumbled.

Tristan bit his lip from laughing and Cadence grabbed a nearby book and flung at Thea, testing her limits.

Thea shrieked, hands covering her head and jumped out of the way. "Hey!"

Cadence placed her hands on her hip, jutting her head to the book. "You couldn't even defend yourself from a book, Ghost. You should stay here."

"I dodged it! I can dodge a vampire and that wasn't fair, I was unprepared." Thea shot back, picked the book back up and rammed it into a bookshelf.

"You have to be prepared to be unprepared, Thea." Erisa replied lazily.

Frankie circled down the forest with a red marker and rolled it up, passing it over to Tristan. "Erisa is right. I must stay here in case something happens and I'll only slow you kids down. I've given as much knowledge as I can, now you must go. Time is lasting for a vampire, but their patience is not worth testing. Each one of you will wear a cross and not take it off, it wards them away. Fire can harm them, a stake to the heart from wood or slicing their heads off can kill them." Frankie tugged the lid of the box off and handed crosses out.

Tristan tied a wooden cross around his neck, checking himself out in the full-length mirror sticking on a wall. "I don't suit it."

Cadence closed her eyes, pulling the silver chain over her head and the cross pressing against her sweaty skin. "Shut up, pretty boy." She snapped.

Frankie then handed Thea a cross and wooden stake, a bright beam of light flashing across her once crestfallen face. "I can go?"   

Frankie gave a half shrug, shutting down anyone's protest with a once over leer. "I've been hunting since I was twelve, hunting with the Larren and Sterling family, I have faith you'll prove yourself, Thea."

Thea's excitement didn't waver, only strengthened as she geared up, stakes stuffed into her jumper pockets and the cross dangling loosely around her neck.

Cadence clenched her jaw, hoping nothing awful tainted this girl's vision, wouldn't tarnish what hope she had in this grim and bleak world.

Frankie looked beyond his shoulder at the clock, it ticking by mindlessly and then back to the group, an unreadable expression marring his features. "It's nearly nine, it will take roughly three hours to get there. Go."

Erisa threw her arms around her uncle, a sight Cadence wouldn't think she'd see coming from someone so unresponsive and repelled by human touch.

But it was welcoming to see as Frankie secured his large arms around his niece and hugged her tightly. "Be safe," he murmured to Erisa.

They left not too long after that, Frankie outside the door with a wave and the forest to swallow them into the night.

——

I apologise if you wanted more Lycus and Accalia. I know this is based a lot around Cadence and her mission, but trust — this will lead to good things.

Sorry if there are any grammatical errors and mistakes.

Caranyx.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

163 27 18
When a wolf loses a mate by death their own death is near. Or that's what Marilyn was told growing up. If it was true she should have died two years...
6.3M 198K 44
|| In his eyes, she glowed. Her pale skin was like a canvas, just waiting for him to paint it with his dark colors. She was his moon and his hope. ||...
1.6K 34 32
"You? your human." I state looking at the boy in front of me. "And your not?" He smirks jokingly looking at my almost yellow eyes. π˜›π˜©π˜ͺ𝘴 𝘀𝘒𝘯'𝘡...
40.5K 2.1K 41
The last thing Mateo Kane wants is a mate. As the second born Alpha son, with no responsibilities, his plans for himself do not include settling down...