The Light Of His Life

By katiehelmsway

What if Damon Salvatore was engaged when he was a human? Before he was turned into a vampire by Katherine Pie... More

Author's Note
ACT I
CAST
HISTORY REPEATING
THE TURNING POINT
BLOODLINES
UNPLEASANTVILLE
CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED
FOOL ME ONCE
FLASHBACK: SIF COMES TO MYSTIC FALLS
A FEW GOOD MEN
THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD
LET THE RIGHT ONE IN
MISS MYSTIC FALLS
BLOODLINES
ISOBEL
THE FOUNDER'S DAY
SEASON 2 CAST
THE RETURN
BRAND NEW WORLD

UNDER CONTROL

1K 24 0
By katiehelmsway

There are a lot of things Sif didn't like. Guilt, people, Katherine Pierce. But one of the things she hates most is someone disrupting her sleep. So when she was so rudely woken up by the sound of rock music at 9 in the morning, she knew that the culprit would be dead in less than a second if they didn't turn it off.

She pushed Damon off the bed in a grumpy state and told him to get his brother to be that brooding asshole again. At least then he doesn't blast music at the break of dawn. Damon grumbled and whined but left nonetheless, taking a glass of blood for energy with him. She could hear them bicker and she did everything in her power to ignore the annoying sounds and sleep! Just as she was about to fall back asleep, her fiance walked into the room.

He sat down on the head of the bed and Sif shuffled closer, putting her head on his chest and cuddling him. He put one of his arms around her and played with her hair. She had almost dozed off again but apparently, Damon didn't want her happiness. He said, "Hey, you know this seems familiar." Sif grumbled, "Familiar to the sweet night when I was sleeping?"

Damon laughed and shifted closer so he looked her in the eye, "No. Familiar to the time we used to spend in bed avoiding my creepy father." Sif raised an eyebrow, "That is what this reminds you of? This sweet moment reminds you of hiding from your deranged father who had some weird affiliation with me?" Damon jerked his head back and said, "Hey, we had some amazing times hiding from my obsessive father. If I remember correctly, which I do, it was also one of those times when you first told me you loved me."

Sif smiled, "That hasn't changed. I still love you with all my heart, Salvatore." He leaned forward and kissed her softly. She immediately reciprocated, melting in his embrace. Damon deepened the kiss and Sif's hand went to hair, fingers getting tangled in the raven locks. The kiss was interrupted by Damon's phone. He groaned and picked up the phone. It was Liz who had decided to interrupt their morning.

Answering the phone, Damon was informed about a council meeting being held in some time. He promised he'd be there and hung up. He turned to his fiancee who was glaring at the phone as if it had personally offended her. He put the phone down and kissed Sif again. Not letting it escalate, Damon pulled as she tried to pull him in.

"Sorry," Damon apologized, "Duty calls. I gotta hop in the shower. There's some important council meeting today." Sfi grumbled, "Yes, I heard. Now leave before I decide that this important meeting isn't important enough for you to be on time." She pulled the covers over her head as Damon got up and went to the bathroom.

She must have fallen asleep because when she woke up, it was already noon and Damon was long gone. She dragged herself towards the shower and after taking a relaxing hot bath, she went down to the kitchen. On her way, she found Stefan drinking and sulking. She plopped down next to him and snatched the bottle and gulped down a drink. "Are you even old enough to drink?" She teased. He scoffed and took the bottle back, not bothering to reply as he drank.

Her gaze softened as she took in how wrecked he looked. "What's bothering you, Stefan?" she asked, "Is it, Elena? Because I will kill her if you want me to. Her face tempts me anyway." Stefan chuckled, bringing the bottle up to his lips again, "No, no Elena's fine. Please don't kill her no matter how tempted you are. I'm just drinking to take off the edge. It helps with the urges."

Sif shook her head and leaned her head on her shoulder, "I don't get why you can't have human blood. I mean I get that you're a ripper and all but saving human lives is so exhausting. And if it's about control, then you know a ripper can also control themselves, right? I have a friend who is a ripper and still drinks human blood without getting too high of a kill count. I should really try to get in contact with him, who knows if he's alive or not. He's very troublesome. But he has my brother to keep him in check."

Stefan looked at her thoughtfully and asked, "How did this friend of yours learn to control? Did someone teach him?" Sif sat up excited and faced him. "I did! I can teach you too if you want. I have impeccable control," she boasted. Stefan looked at her and deadpanned, "You killed two people yesterday. And then made me and Damon clean up the mess.'

Sif shrugged, "So? That wasn't me losing control. I just don't care about humans and they were delicious. You should have tried a sip when I offered." Stefan wondered, "I don't remember you being this tactless in 1864." Sif chuckled, "I have always been like this. You were just a human and my lover's innocent baby brother. So I figured it wouldn't go well if I told you my stories and corrupted that innocence of yours. Now you're a vampire and it doesn't matter anymore. So, do you want me to teach you?"

Stefan stared at her with his eyebrows raised. If she didn't care about humans, then he doubted she would properly teach him how not to kill people. He shook his head slowly and denied her offer, "No it's okay. I'm fine with animal blood." His phone rang and he jumped to pick it up, "Hey look it's Elena! I gotta take this. Bye." He pushed the almost empty bottle in her hand and rushed out of the room.

Sif looked at the door and the bottle in her hands. She shrugged and took a sip, heading towards the kitchen for some blood and snacks. After making some popcorn and heating a glass of blood, she settled down in front of the new TV she made Damon get in their room, and started the movie marathon she had planned for today.

That was how Damon found her when he came back. Popcorn on the floor, an empty blood glass, and she burrowed under the covers with a tissue box in hand. He called her name hoping for her to come out but instead, she reached her hand out and pulled him down to watch with her. They spent the next hour or so watching The Notebook till it was time to go to The Founders' Day 154th Anniversary Kick-off Party.

Damon changed into a suit and Sif changed into her new dress. A one sleeve black short dress. She kept her hair open, curling them slightly, and carried a small grey purse in her hand. Damon could hardly keep his hands off her. Taking Stefan, they arrived and Sif smirked as many people nearby couldn't take their eyes off of her. Damon noticed it too as his grip on her waist tightened and he glared at some guys close to them.

Stefan groaned as they entered the building, "Oh god! I shouldn't be here." Damon teased him, "Come on, don't be a downer, it's a party for the founding families! That would be us. It would be rude to skip it." "I liked you a whole lot better when you hated everybody," Stefan complained. Damon replied, "Oh I still do. I just love that they love me."

The three laughed and Sif picked up a flute of champagne from the waiter. Damon looked at Stefan and asked how he was feeling and Stefan replied, "I'm good, I'm fine." Damon pushed, "No cravings? No urges? Is that whiskey you've been drinking all day doing its job?" Stefan humorlessly laughed. Damon muttered, "We are who we are, Stefan. Pretending doesn't change that."

Stefan retorted, "Nothing will make you happier to just see me give in, huh Damon?" Damon waved it away saying, "Whatever, it's inevitable." Sif chimed in the conversation, "I still think you should consider my offer, Stefan. It will help you." Damon looked between them confused as Stefan answered, "Yeah, I'll, uh, I'll think about it. Well, I'm gonna find Elena." He left as Damon mockingly called after him, "Don't embarrass me, young man!"

He then turned towards Sif and asked, "Well, M'lady, would you like to dance with me?"He offered his hand and Sif accepted his hand with a smile. He led her towards the dance floor and twirled her around, before easily falling in step with the other couples on the floor. She put her hands on his shoulder as he put his hands on her waist and they swayed to the music.

Sif spoke up, "You know, I still don't get why you haven't played a boombox in my backyard. I mean you even own a blue car." Damon groaned, "Because we're not in Say Anything and I'm not trying to win you back, I already have you. Also, Llyod owned a blue Malibu, I own a blue Camaro. There's a difference."

Sif huffed, "Whatever. But if you were trying to win me back, would you play a boombox for me?" Damon smiled and leaned his forehead on hers, "If I was trying to win you back, I would do something way grander than play an old boombox in your backyard, which is also my backyard if you hadn't noticed." Sif grinned and kissed him fiercely. He happily kissed back, pulling her closer as her fingers played with the baby hair on the back of his neck.

Suddenly, the music turned upbeat and they turned their heads to see Stefan walking away from the DJ triumphantly. They locked arms and joined Elena at the bar and looked at Stefan dancing with Kelly Donovan. Damon playfully gasped, "Have I entered an alternate universe where Stefan is fun?"

Sif lightly hit his chest and demanded he cut his brother some slack. Elena worriedly asked, "Is he gonna be okay?" Damon answered her question, "Eventually. One way or another." It didn't seem to ease her worries as they looked at each other and then watched Stefan. Elena spotted her aunt and excused herself.

Damon offered Sif a drink and then proceeded to drag her everywhere in search of Liz because he "has to make an appearance." They spotted her standing alone in a corner and approached her. Damon complimented, "You know I love a woman in uniform but I have to side with this one. You look...you look smashing." Liz laughed, about to wave off the compliment but Sif agreed, "He's right. You look beautiful. I dare say, you might be able to outshine me."

Sheriff Forbes chuckled, "I don't think that's possible, you look amazing. But thank you." They clink glasses and Liz continued, "I needed that. You know, Damon, I had my doubts about you at first but like everyone else on the council you've won me over." Damon replied, "Thanks, Liz. It's nice how welcoming the council has been. I like my life here in Mystic Falls. Starting to feel like home again."

Liz seemed hesitant but addressed Sif, "Damon told me that you also know about vampires." Sif nodded, saying how she hated vampires after losing her father to vampires and would help kill them in any way she could. Liz nodded and grimly said, "Well, you're not gonna like what I have to tell you. Johnathan Gilbert's claims check out. Blood bank, the missing people, all of it's true. We might have a problem." Damon had filled her in on what happened at the council meeting and how Johnathan was proving to be a pain in their ass.

But before Damon could say anything, Jeremy Gilbert arrived and interrupted them. Jeremy spoke, "Excuse me, Sheriff. I was curious if there's been any more information about what happened to Vicki Donovan?" Liz answered, "It was an overdose, Jeremy." Jeremy scoffed, "Yeah, but her body was buried. Somebody must have done that."

Damon looked uncomfortable and Sif seemed confused as Sheriff Forbes replied, "We're aware of that. The investigation is ongoing but there's nothing more I can tell you at this time. I'm sorry." Jeremy sulkily replied, "It's okay." and left.

They engaged in small chatter after that before Damon and Sif excused themselves and moved to the bar. Sif punched Damon in the arm and Damon yelped, holding his arm and looking at her incredulously. Damon muttered, "What the hell?" and Sif answered, "Why would you hide a body somewhere it could be found? I don't care who thinks what but we should not have to move. I do not want to leave yet, Damon." Not while there is a doppelganger in town.

Damon reassured her, "Relax. We won't have to move anywhere. I didn't know you were already this attached to the town. I'll deal with it." Sif muttered, "You better." Just as they got their drinks, Elena joined them and asked, "Have you noticed what your brother has been up to?" Damon retorted, "No, I have been too preoccupied with yours." She looks at him confused and Damon clarified, "Jeremy has been asking questions about Vicki Donovan's death."

Elena argued, "He knows that her death was ruled an overdose." Sif scoffed in her glass as she drank and Damon replied, "Really," He imitated Jeremy, "Oh but sheriff, someone buried her. Who would do that?" I know I know! Me! I mean I could compel him but he's wearing vervain."

Elena refused, "No, I don't want you to compel him." Damon argued, "If he keeps asking questions..." But Elena seemed set on her word as she said, "Damon, no I'm serious. I'm not going to do that to him again. I'll handle it." Damon shrugged, "Okay. Don't say I didn't warn you." Sif groaned, "If your useless conversation is over, Damon can we please go out, the smell of sweat here is making my nostrils burn."

Damon muttered an agreement and they left to go to the balcony. They were just enjoying the fresh air when John Gilbert joined them. He addressed them, "Damon, right? And you must be his fiancee, Sif." They turned around and Damon addressed him while Sif chose to ignore the human. John started a conversation, "We didn't get the chance to meet at the council meeting."

Damon, keeping up his human facade, replied, "Yeah. It's a pleasure. Are you enjoying the kick-off?" John agreed, "Oh yeah. I forgot how much fun these small-town celebrations can be." Damon questioned, "Yeah. When was the last time you were here?" John answered that he'd been here for his brother's funeral and then asked Damon about how long he'd been here. Damon vaguely replied not long.

John questioned, "So what do you think Damon? You know this vampire problem is real, right? It's a potential blood bath." Damon brushed him off, "I wouldn't overreact John." John ignored his statement and continued, "Oh, I think it's like 1864 all over again, vampires running amok. I guess we're just gonna have to hunt them down, throw them in a church and burn them to ash."

Sif rolled her eyes and Damon replied, "That's the story, huh?" John agreed, "Part of the story, yeah." Intrigued, Damon pressed, "Oh, there's more?" John "Oh, there's a lot more. See, it seems there was a tomb under the church, where vampires were hidden, waiting for someone to come along and set them free. But then you already knew that didn't you?" Damon didn't look at him. And Sif raised an eyebrow at the knowledge this Gilbert seemed to have.

John continued, "I mean, you're the one that did it. And you were the one he did it for, I assume." Damon smirked as he asked, "And you're telling me this, why?" John just replied, "Oh, I just thought we get the introductions out of the way." Damon threatened, "You know that I could rip your throat out before anyone would notice?" John agreed, apparently knowing the danger.

Damon shared a look with Sif and said, "Yeah, okay. But you probably ingest vervain so..." John provoked, "Why don't you take a bite to find out?" Sif and Damon looked at each other and then at John, smiling. Damon replied, "It's not worth my time." They looked at each other and smiled. Damon took Sif's hand and started to leave but then he rushed towards John, broke his neck, and threw him off the balcony.

Sif looked at the body on the floor and shook her head. Damon caught it and asked, "What?" Sif smiled and said, "Oh nothing. Just that you are going to have to dispose of the body now." Damon raised an eyebrow, "Not like you ever do it. It's always me or Stefan." Sif smirked and shrugged, walking off, knowing Damon would follow.

They roamed the room a little and found Stefan still drinking. Approaching him, Damon spoke, "You wanna hear the bad news or the really bad news?" Stefan thought for a second before replying, "Actually, I don't want any news, Damon." Sif laughed and said, "Actually, what your brother means is, Do you want to hear how the council is back in vampire mode or how he just killed Uncle John Gilbert? And didn't even get rid of the body."

Damon rolled his eyes as Stefan looked between them, alarmed, "What?" Damon smirked, "Great party by the way, huh?" They left and Stefan tried to chase after them but didn't get too far.

Damon and Sif were near a table inside when suddenly Damon spotted something and he muttered, "You gotta be kidding me." Confused, Sif asked him what the matter was and he pointed her towards John Gilbert, alive, entering the building.

Later, Mayor Lockwood was talking to the crowd, "Thank you all, thank you very much, thank you. Thank you all for joining us tonight. In just a few moments we will officially begin the countdown to our upcoming Founders' Day celebration and it's a very special one this year. The one hundred and fifty-fourth birthday of our town."

A bell on a table was wheeled next to him. He continued, "And I would like to welcome back one of our town favourite's sons to do the honours of ringing our official charter bell. John Gilbert, would you please join me up here?" John Gilbert applauded and rejoined the mayor. Damon was glaring at him and Sif was just bored.

John spoke up, "One hundred and fifty-four years of community, prosperity, family. We take care of each other, we look after each other, protect each other. It's good to be home." He finished, looking at Damon and Sif. As everyone applauded, Damon dragged Sif towards Alaric.

He said to the teacher, "Look at his right hand." Alaric looked at him confused, "Whose?" Damon sighed and clarified, "Towns favourite's son. Look at his ring." As John rang the bell and Alaric noticed the same ring that he wears on John's hand. Alaric realized, "Well, it looks like mine." Sif hoped she could actually get drunk just to escape the conversation between the new pals as Damon replied, "Yeah, and that would be a big coincidence if he didn't just come back from the dead five minutes ago. Where the hell did you get that ring?"

"Isobel," Alaric answered, "my wife." Damon deduced, "Who gave birth to Elena, under the medical care of the esteemed DR Grayson Gilbert, John's brother!" The three looked at John and Alaric answered, "Do you think John knew Isobel?" Damon replied, "I think John knows a lot of things." John left and the trio moved to follow him.

They followed him outside to his car and Damon called out, "Going somewhere, hm?" John turned around and answered, "I've never liked to be the last one to leave a party. It's too desperate. You're going to kill me again or you're gonna let Mr Saltzman or your fiancee do your dirty work?" Sif narrowed her eyes suspiciously and Alaric commented, "Okay, you obviously know who we are." John nodded, "I do. Alaric Saltzman, a high school history teacher with a secret. And the mysterious fiancee of Damon Salvatore. Tell me, has anyone questioned your sudden relationship yet?"

Damon cut in, "You sure know a lot for someone who just got to town." John cryptically replied, "More than you can imagine, Damon. My knowledge of this town goes beyond anything that you or you, Alaric, and even you Sif, or the council knows. So, if you're planning on some clever high-speed snatch ring vamp kill move, know that if I die, everything I know goes to the council including the fascinating little tale of the original Salvatore brothers and their present-day return to Mystic Falls."

Damon seemed surprised and Sif wanted to rip John's head off and watch him still come back to life. She didn't like that the man obviously knew something important. Frustrated, Alaric cut to the chase and asked, "How did you get that ring?" John looked at his ring and answered, "I had inherited one, my brother Gray had the other. This was his," he said, showing them his ring, "and I wouldn't have given mine to Isobel if I had known she'd hand it over to another guy."

Damon questioned, "So you did know her?" John smiled, "Who do you think sent her your way when she wanted to become a vampire?" Damon's eyes widened as he said, "You sent her?" John chuckled, "Guilty. Why? Did you think someone else sent her? Maybe Katherine Pierce?" Sif asked, "What do you know about Katherine?" John said, "What do I know about anything, Miss Mikaelson?"

Sif tensed and asked, "How do you know that name?" John smiled in a way that made her anxious and she was about to rush forward to kill him but Damon held her back. He asked, "What do you want?" John laughed, "So many questions. It was a pleasure meeting you, Ric. I've heard so much about you. And it was nice to meet the legendary Sif. But I don't know whether I'm relieved or disappointed by your lack of violence." John left and Damon and Alaric looked at each other and watched him.

Alaric turned to Sif, "What was he talking about? Why did you tense like that when he said your name?" Sif turned towards Ric, "That is none of your business, Mr Saltzman. But I believe Mr Gilbert and I are due for a chat. I'll be in the car, honey." She took Damon's keys and left the two men standing there. She had a new mission. Killing John Gilbert.

[A/N: NEW CHAPTER!! John Gibert is here and he is a problem! But it's okay Sif knows how to control people. Hope you liked the chapter!]

Words: 3792 

COMMENT! 

VOTE!

SHARE!

-Katie

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.5K 607 33
Damelia Salvatore , twin of Damon , elder sister of Stefan, visits Mystic Falls after hearing her brothers are still alive . (TVD)Season 2 to Season...
2.3M 86.4K 84
◌¨̮͚ *. stefan salvatore comes to mystic falls with one thing in mind; elena gilbert. instead, he finds himself enamored with athena hunt, and realiz...
388K 7.6K 70
NEW VERSION OUT ON (thatweirdokhai) - 𝙊𝙑𝙀𝙍 𝘼 𝙃𝙐𝙉𝘿𝙍𝙀𝘿 𝙔𝙀𝘼𝙍𝙎 𝗮𝗳𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗯𝗲𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗻𝗲𝗱, 𝙎𝙆𝙔𝙇𝙀𝙍 𝙎𝘼𝙇𝙑𝘼𝙏𝙊𝙍𝙀 𝗿𝗲�...
4.1K 115 9
I do not own these characters, those rights go to Julie Plec. Stefan and Rebekah met in the 20s in Chicago. When they left, he was compelled to...