The Legend of Tolrak (ATLA x...

Od myname_Shawn

My grandmother used to tell me stories about the old days, a time of peace when the Avatar kept balance betwe... Viac

Disclaimer | Please Read

1

43 0 0
Od myname_Shawn

Chapter 1| Book 1: The Boy in the Iceberg

Water, Earth, Fire, Air.

My grandmother used to tell me stories about the old days, a time of peace when the Avatar kept balance between the Water Tribes, Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation, and Air Nomads. But that all changed when the Fire Nation attacked.

Only the Avatar master of all four elements could stop the ruthless them. But when the world needed him most, he vanished. A hundred years have passed, and the Fire Nation is nearing victory in the war. Two years ago, my father and the men of our tribe journeyed to the Earth Kingdom to help fight against the Fire Nation, leaving me and my brothers to look after our tribe.

Some people believe that the Avatar was never reborn into the Air Nomads and that the cycle is broken, but I haven't lost hope. I still believe that somehow the Avatar will return to save the world.

The camera pans over some icebergs and then focuses on a canoe in the endless ocean. We zoom in to meet out two characters. A teenage boy, Sokka, shaven headed except for a ponytail, stands in the canoe. Another boy, Tolrak who dawns the same haircut as him is also in the boat, but he's reading. Sokka looks down at the water, spear at the ready. The other occupant is a young girl. All three wear blue overcoats. The canoe drifts slowly as the oldest boy concentrates on fishing. Cut to a close, overhead shot of the canoe. Beside the boat a fish swims close to the surface in front of Sokka.

Sokka holds his spear up ready to stab the fish.

"It's not getting away from me this time. Watch and learn, Katara. This is how you catch a fish."

Tolrak scoff at him not looking up from his book.

"You know that just because she's a girl doesn't mean she can't fish."

Katara leans over the edge of the canoe to see a fish. Hesitantly, she removes her left glove. She takes a deep breather and with a look of trepidation begins to motion with her exposed hand. Suddenly, a globe of water containing the fish bursts out of the water.

She gasps. "Sokka, Tolrak, look!"

Tolrak looks up.

"Whoa! I wish I could do that..."

Sokka whispers harshly. "Shhh. Katara, Tolrak, you're gonna scare it away." He licks his lips looking back at the fish. "Mmmm... I can already smell it cookin'!"

"But Sokka! I caught one!"

"Yeah, she caught one bro!"

She struggles with the blob of water, and it floats closer to Sokka, who raises his spear to strike a fish. When he cocks his arm back, he bursts the bubble of water. The fish falls back into the sea and Sokka gets drenched.

They both exclaim at the same time.

"Katara!"

Sokka turns to them and grumbles.

Tolrak defends his little sister.

"It's not her fault. If you would have turned when we told you then you wouldn't be wet, and we would still have the fish."

"Ugh! Why is it that every time you guys play with magic water I get soaked?"

"First of all, it's not magic. It's waterbending, and it's- "

He rolls his eyes.

"Yeah, yeah, an ancient art unique to our culture, blah blah blah. I'm just saying that if I had weird powers, I'd keep my weirdness to myself."

Tolrak jumps in.
"And second, when you get splashed its Katara, I'm still a newbie and barely hold a blob of water."

"You'll get there one day."

"Oh, I know, can't believe I'm the older one and still can barely bend."

She smirks and chuckles.

"Also, you have no right to call us weird Sokka. I'm not the one who makes muscles at myself every time I see my reflection in the water."

The camera cuts to Sokka with his sleeve rolled up flexing at his reflection in the water.

The two younger siblings laugh but are suddenly cut off by the boat bumping against a floating ice. The three look up to see that they've been caught in a current that's pulling them towards some floating ice. Sokka and Tolrak pull out their ores and frantically begin trying to dodge the ice. Katara tries to help by yelling directions.

"Watch out! Go left! Go left!"

They move but the icebergs collide all around them. Each time they manage to avoid getting crushed the boats collied together with a boom. Finally, the canoes are crushed when three icebergs crash together. The three jump out the canoes and onto one of the icebergs in time. They're stranded out in the middle of the ice field.

"Well, crap. What do we do now?"

Katara sighs and turns to Sokka. "You call that left?"

Sokka rolls his eyes.

"You don't like my steering? Well maybe you both should've waterbended us out of the ice."

"So, it's our fault?"

"Well naturally, I knew I should've left you both home. Leave it to a girl to screw things up!"

Tolrak's eyes go wide at Sokka's statement.

"Not only girls mess up man."

"Well, there are things girls are good at and this isn't one of them, plus you always have your nose in a dumb book and van barely bend anyway. You should just stick to making the weapons."

Tolrak obviously gets ticked off by his older brother's immature and sexist comment but Katara's anger boils over, she points at her awful oldest brother, while Tolrak is trying to calm her down.

"You are the most sexist, immature, nut-brained- "

As she gets more excited, the iceberg on which they are sitting begins to rock and the huge iceberg behind her cracks, shards of it falling into the water.

"Ugh, I'm embarrassed to be related to you! Ever since Mom died, I've been doing all the work around camp while you've been off playing soldier!"

The boys notice the cracking iceberg behind them.

"Uh.... Katara?"

"Kat, you need to chill out..."

She ignores them and keeps ranting.

"Not now Tolrak. I even wash all the clothes! Have you ever smelled your dirty socks? Let me tell you, NOT PLEASANT! And just because you're the oldest doesn't mean you get to boss us around like we're your servants!"

The iceberg behind them shatters into more pieces.

"Katara settle down!"

"NO, THAT'S IT! I'M DONE HELPING! FROM NOW ON YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN!"

By the end of her rant the iceberg shatters entirely. The major pieces fall into the water and the force pushes their iceberg away. The three of them hold on to the edge until the water settles.

"Okay, you've gone from weird to freakish Katara!"

Katara stares stunned.

"You mean I did that?"

"Yup. Congratulations."

Tolrak stands up.

"Well, it's nice to see your waterbending is working Kat. Better than mines. And I'm glad I saved my book."

Suddenly, the water just in front of them begins to glow and bubble an incandescent blue. They move backwards on their raft as another, lighter colored iceberg breaks the surface. It is unclear if it was part of the one Katara broke up or not. As the new iceberg settles, Katara walks to edge of their iceberg raft to get a better look. Deep in the ice, a figure of a boy in a meditation pose is seen. His eyes open and his tattoos and eyes glow white, saying that he is alive and may need help.

Katara gasps.

"He's alive! We have to help!"

She grabs Sokka's club, pulls down her hood and carefully hops across the ice to help.

Tolrak and Sokka follow suit.

"Katara get back here! We don't know what that thing is!"

"Yeah, Kat it could be really dangerous!"

She of course, ignores the boys and starts to whack the big iceberg. After a couple hits it cracks open. It looks like air or steam is coming out and a huge bolt of light emits from the top of it and into the sky.

The camera cuts to a view of an iron hulled battleship with a young man on the foredeck dressed in red, also shaven headed except for a ponytail, the left side of his face is badly scarred around his left eye. The light from the light shaft dissipates and fades away.

"Finally."

The boy turns towards an old gentleman who is seated cross-legged at a low table, drinking tea, and playing some sort of tile game with the elements on each one. He has a grey man-bun and the same attire as the young man except his is more of a robe.

"Uncle do you know what this means?"

Clearly invested in his game he responds with little interest.

"I won't get to finish my game?"

"It means my search- it's about to come to an end."

The old man, Iroh, sighs.

"That light came from an incredibly powerful source. It has to be him!"

Iroh looks around.

"Or it's just the celestial lights. We've been down this road before, Prince Zuko. I don't want you to get too excited over nothing. Please, come sit. Why don't you enjoy a cup of calming jasmine tea?"

The prince sneers and explodes in anger.

"I don't need any calming tea! I need to capture the avatar!"

Prince Zuko points forward.

"Helmsman, set a course for the light!"

The camera focuses on Iroh's tile game for a second before cutting to the scene at the now melted iceberg. The boy trapped in it stands up with his glowing tattoos and eyes. The two boys see him as a threat and point their spears at him.

"Get back!"

The boy suddenly stops glowing and falls forward and Katara catches him. As she's holding the boy Sokka comes over and starts poking his head with the end of the spear.

Tolrak grabs the end of it.

"Knock it off doofus. Is he okay Kat?"

She shakes him and the boy's eyes open.

"Are you okay?"

"Please, come closer...I need to ask you something..."

Katara leans in a bit.

"What is it?"

He smiles big and gets excited.

"Will you go penguin sledding with me?"

Tolrak laughs loudly.

Katara replies awkwardly.

"Uh, sure..."

She helps him stand up.

Of course, Sokka must play protector and steps in front of them with his spear.

"Step away from the boy and get behind me."

Katara and Tolrak scoff.

"What's your problem bro?"

"He's a Fire Nation spy. He has to be."

Tolrak rolls his eyes.

"Right cause a 12-year-old air nomad is a Fire Nation spy."

He turns to the kid with a polite smile.

"My name is Tolrak, this is my 13-year-old sister Katara, the paranoid 15-year-old is our older brother, Sokka. I'm 14."

"Really? That's cool."

He looks around.

"Um, where are we exactly?"

Sokka interrupts

"Don't answer that! He's trying to get information for the- "

"Enough with the theories Sokka! I read way more than you and even I'm not that paranoid. Anyway, you know our names kid what's yours?"

The boy starts to respond but sniffles.

"I'm a-ah-aH-AH-CHOO!"

He flies in the air as he sneezes then slides down the piece of iceberg on his heels stopping in front of them. He sniffles.

"I'm Aang." He smiles at them.

The siblings look at him in shock.

"You just sneezed! And flew 10 feet in the air!" the oldest exclaims.

Aang turns up and looks at the sky.

"Really? It felt higher than that."

"You flew approximately 27.38 feet in the air."

The siblings look at Tolrak strangely.

"What? I'm good with numbers."

"Wow, you're really smart Tolrak!"

The boy smiles.

"Thanks Aang."

"You're an airbender?" Katara asks.

"Yep, sure am. Wait, where's Appa?"

"Who?" Sokka asks.

"Where'd your brother go? Tolrak? Tolrak?!"

The three hear laughing. They all go farther into the iceberg where Tolrak is being licked by a giant tongue.

"Hey Aang, I think your buddy Appa is okay. Ack! Appa that tickles!"

"He must like really like you. He doesn't lick anyone he just met. It even took me days for him to lick me."

"Aw, well thanks big guy. I'm honored." He pets his nose.

"What is that thing?!!" Sokka points at Appa.

Tolrak answers before Aang can.

"Appa is a flying bison. A bison is the animal guide for the Air Nation and he's Aang's best friend. Just like the polar bear dog is for our Water Nation. Badger Moles for the Earth kingdoms and colonies and dragons for the Fire Nation. Also, judging from his height length width..."

He opens Appa's mouth.

"And the tiny rings on his teeth, he's about 12 years, 4 months, 3 weeks and 5 days old. Which would be why he and Aang get along so well."

Everyone looks at him with there jaw dropped, even Appa.

"You are REALLY smart." Aang says amazed.

"H-How do you know all that?" Sokka asks with his mouth still wide open.

"As I've said before, I like to read. Sue me." He shrugs.

"Giant light beams... flying bison... airbenders... I think I've got Midnight Sun Madness. I'm going home to where stuff makes sense."

Sokka stops realizing that they're on an iceberg, in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by ice cold water.

"I can give you guys a lift on Appa."

"Really? We'd love a ride! Thanks!" Katara climbs on Appa with Aang's help and Tolrak follows.

"Oh no...I'm not getting on that fluffy monster."

Tolrak rolls his eyes.

"Are you hoping some other monster will come along and give you a ride? Ya know, before you freeze to death?"

"I..." Sokka sighs and climbs up on Appa.

The camera cuts to Katara, Tolrak and Sokka in the back part of the saddle. The younger siblings look excited. However, Sokka looks grumpy, arms folded across his chest.

Aang grabs onto the reigns

"Alright first-time fliers hang on tight. Appa yip-yip!"

Appa leaps into the air only to belly flop into the water below.

"Come on Appa yip-yip."

"Appa is probably tired and hungry, let him swim. Am I right big guy?"

Appa roars in response.

"You are some monster expert aren't you little brother?"

"Appa isn't a monster, he's Aang's family. Stop being rude."

Aang smiles.

"Thanks TJ."

The older brother perks up at this nickname.

"TJ?"

"It's a- "

Tolrak interrupts.

"It's a nickname he gave me, and I like it."

"Okay, you have got to give me time to reply."

"Sorry it's a reflex, I can't help it. With an older brother like Sokka you have to open your mouth before he does. But...I'll work on it."

~Time Skip~

Katara shakes Aang awake.

"Hey, we're in the village now. Everyone's waiting to meet you."

She notices his airbender tattoos as he is getting dressed. She pulls him out of the tent. A small crowd is there made up of women and children.

"Aang this is the entire village. Entire village, Aang."

Aang bows in greeting but the people back away a bit fearful of what or who he is.

"Uh...why are they all looking at me like that? Did Appa sneeze on me?"

An old woman walks up as Aang inspects his clothes for Appa's snot.

"Well, no one has seen an airbender in 100 years. We thought they were all extinct, until my granddaughter and grandsons found you."

Aang looks at the old woman shocked.

"'Extinct'?"

"Aang this our grandmother."

"Call me Gran-Gran."

Sokka inspects the boy's staff and grabs it.

"What is this a weapon? You can't stab anything with this."

Aang chuckles.

"It's actually a- "

Aang interrupts.

"It's not a weapon. It's for gliding. As Airbenders, we use it to bend the air around us and fly. Ha! Beat you!"

Tolrak sticks his tongue out at Aang.

"Last time I checked, humans can't fly." Sokka say while crossing his arms.

"Wanna bet?" The two younger boys say smugly at the same time.

Aang opens his glider, and flies through the air. Everyone watches amazed until he suddenly flies straight into the side of Sokka's watchtower.

Sokka of course is dramatic about it.

"My watchtower!"

The warrior goes to examine it as a huge bank of snow falls on top of him. He climbs out the snow grumbling.

"Great. You're an airbender, Katara and Tolrak are waterbenders, together you three can waste time all day long!"

He walks away griping to himself.

Aang gasps.

"You guys are waterbenders?"

Tolrak looks down.

"My little sister is great! Better than me...I am good at making weapons though."

Katara lays a hand on his shoulder.

"Don't sell yourself short Tolrak... you'll be a great bender one day."

"Thanks Katara."

[Some Time Later]

The two younger siblings while Sokka trains the young warrior boys back at the village.

The camera cuts to Aang chasing an otter penguin.

"Haha! Hey, come on little guy. Wanna go sledding?"

Aang lunges at the penguin as it hops away so he ends up face planting in the snow. He gets back up and chuckles as the younger two approach him.

"I have a way with animals."

He waddles behind another penguin, mocking it. The two siblings laugh at his antics.

"Man these things are hard to wrangle."

Tolrak chuckles and shakes his head.

"I don't know who taught you to grab a "sled," but it doesn't take a genius. Just watch and learn."

He walks up to a flock of otter-penguins

"Hi, my friends and I would like to go sledding, would 3 of you mind giving us a ride?

Three penguins waddle forward.

"Thanks, after this, I'll give you 3 a nice, cooked fish.

He turns to Aang and Katara.

"See it's not so hard."

"I have the best older brother ever."

"You're definitely full of surprises aren't you Tolrak?"

"You have no idea little dude. Let's get sledding!"

The three jump on the penguins and take off down the mountain.

[Time Skip]

The three benders ride through a tunnel and slow down to stop at fire navy ship buried in ice and snow.

Aang looks up at it in wonder.

"Whoa cool..."

Tolrak feeds the three penguins the fish he promised then walks up next to Aang.

"I heard stories from Gran-Gran and our dad about this ship. I've always wanted to see the ship from the outside... but I've always pictured it with some adults and not this close. But I always did have a slight curiosity to know what it is like inside."

"Then let's find out."

Aang walks inside.

"Aang no, we shouldn't be here. There could be booby traps all in there. Tolrak, you know the ru- and he's already inside."

"Come on let's go make he doesn't do anything stupid."

The two go inside after him.

"You guys finally decided to join me."

The two benders look uncomfortable as they journey further through the ship.

"Why is there a ship here anyway?"

"Well from what I've read and heard. It was part of the Fire Nation's first attacks. They thought the avatar had died and they wanted to get rid of all the waterbenders in the southern tribe since we were more vulnerable at the time."

"Okay back up. I have friends all over the world, even in the Fire Nation and I've never heard of this war you guys are going on about."

He touches the weapons hanging on the wall.

Tolrak's eyes widen catching on to what's going on.

"Aang, how long were you in that iceberg?" Katara asks.
Aang shrugs.

"I dunno, a few days maybe?"

Tolrak shakes his head.

"I think it was more like 100 years."

"100 years, no way! Do I look like a 112-year-old man to you!?"

"No but Aang, think about it. The war is a century old. You don't know about it because, somehow you were in there that whole time. It's the only explanation."
Aang holds his head trying to process the information and he sinks to the floor when he realizes.

"A hundred years! I can't believe it..."

Tolrak puts a hand on his shoulder.

"We're sorry Aang. Maybe there's a bright side to all this."

Aang smiles at the older boy.

"Yeah, I did get to meet you."

Tolrak smiles with a hint of blush on his cheeks.
"Come on, let's get back to the tribe, we've been out here way too long, and this place is starting to creep me out."

He helps Aang up and they make their way out. Aang drags his feet and trips over a tripwire which releases a flare.

"What's that you said about booby traps?"

The flare reaches it's zenith and it explodes with a small shower of sparks.

"Come on! Let's get out of here!"

They run to the top of the ship where there's a hole in the ceiling.

"Hold on tight!"

Aang wraps his arms around Tolrak's and Katara's waists and jumps airbending them safely to the ice and snow below.

The camera cuts to the falling flare as seen through the lens of a telescope. The telescope follows the flare down for a few moments, before shifting downwards to show Aang holding Katara and Tolrak.

Zuko looks back at one of guards.

"Go wake my uncle! Tell him I've found the avatar!"

He looks back through his telescope once again.

The camera cuts to see the three running across the ice away from the ship then to focus on the Southern Water Tribe.

"As well as his hiding place..."

[Classic Zuko sneer]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[a/n]: And that is the first chapter my awesome readers!

I really appreciate your patience! This took me like three days to finish!

Like I said in the disclaimer: quality over quantity.

Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter!

Also, who should be Tolrak's love interest?

Aang?

Zuko?

Haru?

Leave suggestions in the comments and don't be afraid to dm me.

I love and welcome feedback, helps me improve and give you guys more of what you wanna see.

Until next time readers!

{Word count: 3412}

~ SHAWN

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

244K 6K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...
290K 11.7K 41
ဤ Fic သည် အရမ်းရိုင်းစိုင်းသော အသုံးအနှုန်းတွေကိုသာသုံးထားသော Big Warning 🚨18+ Fic တပုဒ်ဖြစ်သည် ။
956K 36.2K 86
𝗟𝗼𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝗲, 𝗹𝘂𝗰𝗸𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗵𝗲𝗿, 𝗔𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗿𝗲𝘀 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 �...
330K 19.1K 72
Y/N L/N is an enigma. Winner of the Ascension Project, a secret project designed by the JFU to forge the best forwards in the world. Someone who is...