Worth The Shot

By SapphireSoup

Camilo Madrigal. His nerve. His self-obsessed smirk. You wanted nothing to do with him after what he did. But... More

A Market Run-in
Gifts
The Hallway
The Shattered Dream
Time For Dinner
Sacrifice Play
Creeping at Midnight
Shards of Prophecy
The Pressure of Earth
Never Have I Ever
He Knows
Meet Me in the Market?
Rain on the Parade
Strings and Stones
Moonlit Caller
Secrets and Sunflowers
Sinking Confession
Vaporized
Drowning
A Shower of Stars
Unwanted Guests
Flameless Investigation
The Alphabet
Songs in the Leaves
Vipers in the Violets (H)
Whisper Whisper (E)
Slumber Party (i)
Don't Forget Me (S)
Ghost Story (C)
Evicted (O)
Hide and Seek (M)
Felix's Family Tradition (i)
Sunset Celebration (N)
Cobwebbed Tunnel (G)
Visionary
A Lonely Mission
Bitter Bite of the Wind
Cold Candlelight
Dilemma of a Prisoner
The Sin of a Miracle
Heart Bruise
Jury's Out
The Truth
SmokeScreen
Maze of Memories
Sun of a Dreary Sky
A Quest, With or Without You
Lurking through Dirt
The Yawning Cavern
They are the Hunters, We are the Foxes
Blue Eyes
He Is Here
Snaking Threat
Trust is a Paper
Buried Breakout
Into the Sun
A Ghost Town
The Warm Chamber
Planned Strike
Icy Dread and Fierce Hope
Eerie Darkness
Ruthless
Whispers of Ghouls
Frostbitten Sacrifice
Moon-White Hair
the golden chant (2. 4.)
Dark Secrets, White Lilies
Brother against Brother
Dizzying Gold Bubbles
No cracks, no breaks, no mistakes
The Red-Brick Wall
dream about me
What It's Like to Be Camilo Madrigal
The Diamond Angel
Dream Amnesia
Mystery of a Pendant
-A Surprise-
Ethereal Starlight Ballade
The Collapse of a World
Harsh Spotlight Glare
Ivy on the Wall
To Dust All Return
The Horror That Remains
Sunlit Search Party
Nothing but Grass and Wind
Slipping Back in Time
Infected
Disease and Bad News
The Last Month
Glass Statues
Night Terrors
The Black River
Magical Veins
How to Make a Miracle
Desperate Times, Darker Measures
The Sacrifice
Cold as Corpses
Butterfly Wings in the Sunset
A Love Letter to the Readers
The Eplilogue

Rooftop Vigil

45.3K 2.1K 5.9K
By SapphireSoup

TODAY'S FANART SPOTLIGHT:

This beautifully dramatic and ANGSTY masterpiece was drawn by _SScarlet_ !

I LOVE how they captured the scene at the end of Heart Bruise where (y/n) cries on the floor. The art style is so creative, you can feel the emotions SO WELL! It's so cool for me to see drawings that bring to life specific scenes in the story, you are WAY too talented!!! <3

BACK TO THE STORY

"Oh- Oh, no," Camilo choked out, his features stretched with terror.

"Camilo, he's going to be okay," Alma insisted, concentrating on slowing Antonio's blood loss.

"No! Get off of him!" Camilo shouted, frantically lunging toward Alma and tugging against her arm. His form violently convulsed into Alma, Antonio, and Felix. "Get off of my brother! You're hurting him!"

"Stop!" Alma snapped at Camilo as he ripped her bloodied hands away from Antonio's wound. Camilo morphed into his mother, pleadingly staring at Alma. He's losing control.

"Leave him alone! I don't care if you hurt me. You can hit me all you want! But don't hurt Antonio!"

"Camilo, Camilo," You desperately begged, restraining his arm. Camilo's pained eyes darted over to you, his breaths ragged. "It's okay. Senora Alma knows how to stop the bleeding. Let her help him!" Camilo, trembling, unsteadily focused on your eyes, as if anchoring himself with your words.

"It looks like he's dying," Camilo helplessly rasped.

"He's not dying," Alma hissed, her eyes narrowed in focus as she threaded her needle. "I need one of you to help."

"Me," Camilo hollowly volunteered, swallowing hard. It didn't surprise you that he'd immediately offered himself. He would have bottled the ocean for Antonio.

"Good. Come here," Alma ordered. Camilo shakily stepped closer, apprehensively regarding Alma. "Hold his arms down. The pain will wake him, and I need you to hold him still." Camilo blanched, looking sick.

"Are you sure you're up for this?" You gently intervened, equally terrified for Antonio's pain and Camilo's reaction. "Camilo, I can do it-"

"Yeah. Yeah, I can do it," Camilo exhaled, his voice quivering as he pinned Antonio's hands down.

Unsure of her grandson's stability, Alma shot you a sideways glance, a question in her gaze. You anxiously nodded. He needs to be the one to do this. Be strong, Camilo.

Alma took a deep breath, dreading the nightmarish task ahead of her. She suddenly plunged the needle into Antonio's side, hurriedly stitching his skin together. Antonio whimpered and stirred in his sleep.

The air felt gelatinous with nervous anticipation. Alma and Camilo held their breaths. Maybe this won't be too bad, you dared to hope. Maybe he won't wake up.

Antonio's eyes snapped open, and a bloodcurdling scream ripped from his throat. Oh, no. Oh, no.

Alma released a grief-stricken sigh. With dark determination hanging in her eyes, she unwaveringly continued. Antonio's pitiful cries slashed deep gashes into your heart. You smothered your mouth with your hand.

Camilo heartbrokenly buried his face against his own shoulder, silently shaking with sobs. He couldn't bear to watch his little brother shrieking in pain underneath his hands.

"Almost done," Alma breathlessly whispered, tears welling in her eyes. "It's almost over, Tonito." She hastily finished pulling the final thread through and knotted it. She numbly stepped back, letting her needle clatter to the floor like a dropped spoon.

Antonio lay limply on the table, bawling and exhausted.

"It's okay, buddy. I got you," Camilo tearfully whispered, cradling Antonio in a secure embrace. Antonio's tiny hands fisted around Camilo's ruana like a lifeline. Breathing shakily, Camilo fiercely promised,  "It's okay. I got you. You're okay."

You tightly closed your eyes, crying softly. It's over now. He's gonna make it.

"Abuela? I'm back, I-" Felix's face fell as his eyes lighted on Antonio and Camilo. "No, no, Tonito," he gasped, dismayed. He stumbled over to the table and protectively scooped Antonio and Camilo into his arms.

Camilo shuddered with a sob and leaned into his father's chest, still holding Antonio.

An hour later, Antonio was safely stored in his jungle room, resting. You numbly weaved through the hallway to Casita's open window.

"Casita," you murmured, hugging your arms together. "Can you get me to the roof? I- I need to get out." Casita sympathetically creaked its floorboards and popped out stairsteps.

You crept up the rough steps, collapsing on Casita's roof. The memory of Antonio's screams dug sharp claws into your brain. He shouldn't have had to go through that. He's so young.

A tangerine sunset glowed in the sky, reflecting a warm, yellow outline on painted wisps of clouds. I wish I could fly into the colors and never come back.

A shuddering breath to your left startled you. I'm not alone up here.

Camilo huddled in a ball, curled in on himself as if cowering from a terrifying beast. He slouched with a broken lifelessness, his face hidden against his knees.

"Hey," Camilo murmured, lifting his head to acknowledge you. His hazel eyes hung dully, rimmed with red.

"Sorry," you uncomfortably apologized, scooting away from him. You edged toward Casita's makeshift ladder. "I didn't know you were up here." I should leave him alone. We're not on great terms right now.

"Wait," Camilo strained, his voice cracking. His disheveled curls flopped forward as he hesitantly gazed at the uneven rooftop shingles. "I-I know this isn't fair for me to ask. But don't leave me alone. Please."

With a stab of sympathy, Your resolve to leave melted like the golden watercolor swirls in the sky.

"Alright," you quietly consented. "I'll stay."

Camilo gratefully blinked, sweeping tears off of his face with the back of his hand. "You don't have to say anything. Just be here."

You eddied closer to Camilo, silently gazing out at the deep, orange sky.

A wave of peace settled over you like glittering gold dust. You could say anything you wanted, or nothing at all. A million poetic phrases lingered in your head, but somehow the smooth silence meant more than words ever could.

Camilo dropped his head back into his curled cocoon, holding his knees tighter. His dark hair hung from his head as he collapsed in on himself, hiding his face from his own mistakes and grief.

"Don't do that," you gently nudged him. "You'll miss the sunset."

"Are you a sunset person?" Camilo tiredly glanced up at you with a quiet smile.

"Everyone's a sunset person," you confidently confirmed, rocking back to lean on your hands. You admired the dark red tint that frosted the orange sky as the sun drowsily drifted lower. "If you focus on the sky, everything else feels small."

"Okay," Camilo chuckled, regarding you with adoring amusement.

"Focus on the sunset, not me," you lightly chided, pushing Camilo's chin to face the sky with two fingers.

"Not much of a difference," Camilo shrugged. He released a sigh, as if exhaling his melancholy emotions into the sunset.

"I miss you." He suddenly mumbled, risking a glance at you with vulnerable, hazel eyes.

"Don't. I'm right here," you breathed, lightly relaxing your head onto Camilo's shoulder.

Camilo blinked, bewildered. He frowned at your gesture of forgiveness. "I don't deserve you, (y/n)."

"Do you think you're a bad person, Camilo?"

"Yes," he immediately whispered, his dark eyebrows carefully furrowing. "I hit you. I'm violent and emotional. I held down Antonio."

"No. I don't believe that."

"Well, maybe you should."

"Maybe you should forgive yourself."

"I- I can't do that, (y/n)," he muttered, glancing away. "I shouldn't even be alone with you right now."

"Would you ever hit me again?"

"I'd die first," he solemnly said like an oath.

"Don't die," you protested, nuzzling into his shoulder. "Let's try again. I'm gonna trust you. Don't let me down."

"I won't. I promise I won't," Camilo murmured, resting his cheek on top of your head. His warm breaths puffed against your hair. The dim sunset light glowed against his eyelids like a gentle candle.

Alone on the roof, you snuggled into Camilo's side.

And like a nostalgic photograph, you memorized that moment and prayed it would last forever.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

361K 7.8K 15
* THIS IS REALLY OLD AND SCRAPPY PLUS, Y/N IS THE MAIN CHARACTER. IF YOU DONT LIKE THAT LEAVE * "ᴍΙͺ ᴀᴍᴏʀ...Ι’Ιͺκœ°α΄› ᴏʀ ɴᴏ Ι’Ιͺκœ°α΄›, ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʀᴇ κœ±α΄›Ιͺʟʟ ꜱᴏ α΄α΄œα΄„Κœ ᴍᴏ...
10.1K 272 32
|--🦎--| A carefree flirt who has to be anyone but himself. A stubborn know-it-all with a bold attitude and a big secret. |--🦎--| Y/N's family had l...
31.6K 1.1K 19
camilo madrigal x female reader (under 18 only, lowercase intended) a grand oak tree stands deep within the forest, far separated from the bustling t...
8.6K 282 22
β˜†β”β”β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€γ€Œβœ¦γ€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”β”β˜† " Healing something will always be harder than breaking it. You can break something in two seconds, but it can take forever to f...