where all the poets went to d...

By milynnie

❝Maria Joanne Keating had made peace with the idea of spending her junior year tucked away in her uncle's off... More

where all the poets went to die
1 - welcome to welton
2 - has he mentioned, he hated this?
3 - fertilizing dandelions, indeed
4 - her unofficial inauguration
5 - to hell with pritchard's 'understanding poetry'
6 - why do women swoon?
7 - to woo women
8 - bravo! brava!
9 - the most beautiful girl
10 - a barbaric yawp
11 - an absolute lovesick ninny
12 - a tale of reckless actions
13 - a phone call from god
14 - we're going steady now, doll
15 - everything about you is bible
16 - oh-so-grateful
17 - liar, liars, pants on fire
18 - paint him red
19 - the night
20 - the dead poets society
21 - carpe diem
22 - we'll make this work, doll
23 - dead poets honor
24 - one last hurrah

25 - how extraordinary

1.4K 57 25
By milynnie

Seven Years Later...

The diamonds on either side of her mother's garnet sparkled in the early evening sunlight. Above it, a newly acquired gold Welsh band.

Maria smiled to herself, inspecting them, the weight of both rings still feeling odd after a week, but comforting.

Charlie had returned her mother's garnet ring about a year ago - well, after making some expensive amendments. He had gone to a jeweller in Boston, bought two diamonds, and asked them to add them to the ring. Then, after a fancy date where he had picked up Maria in his spiffy car, had dinner at a five-star restaurant, and decided to grab ice cream for a walk along a lakeside, he had gotten down on one knee.

Sometimes, Maria still found herself smiling silly at the memory of how Charlie had looked at her tenderly, gotten down on one knee and pulled a ring box from his pocket. How he had looked at her under the dim light of the evening and just simply said, "Doll, marry me?" and snapped open the box to reveal her mother's deep garnet ring flanked on either side by two sparkling diamonds and Maria had leapt into his arms, nodding yes - a million times, yes.

"What are you thinking there, doll?"

Maria turned as Charlie caught up to her. "That I like things that sparkle," she said cutely and Charlie laughed at that.

"I'll keep it in mind," Charlie said. "Something that sparkles for every wedding anniversary here on out, what do you say?"

"A little excessive," Maria said, smiling. "But I'm not one to deny gifts from my doting husband."

Charlie rolled his eyes at her, moving to pinch her cheek lightly before he gave her a peck on the lips. "You know," he said thoughtfully. "I think you're actually the breadwinner in the house, Mrs. Broadway-Headliner."

Maria blushed at that. She was headlining a new show on Broadway in a few months and sometimes that still made her head woozy. It was crazy to think that she had somehow gone from a meadow mouse to a Broadway headliner.

"I'll get you a new watch after our honeymoon," she said, arching a brow at Charlie. "What do you say?"

"I'm not one to deny gifts from my doting wife," Charlie mimicked her, taking in her radiant smile and loving the fact that it hadn't changed an inch, not even after seven years.

So much had happened in seven years.

Charlie and Maria had navigated through the challenges of being physically apart from one another, fueled by their unwavering love and determination to make it work. Despite the distance, they had done it, they had managed to keep their love while finishing university and establishing their careers.

Charlie had taken the reins of Dalton Financial Group, guided by his father and his own ambitious spirit. With his astute business acumen and suave attitude - that Maria amusingly found had only increased over the years - and his unwavering dedication, he had expanded the company's operations to New York City, where Maria had laid the roots of her career.

Julliard had marked the beginning of an incredible start for Maria. Her voice had become even more enchanting over the years - as duly noted by Charlie - captivating audiences and letting her find her stage on Broadway.

Their careers had often taken them to different corners of the world, especially when Charlie faced challenge after challenge with building up Dalton Financial Group in New York, their schedules were more than just demanding, but Charlie and Maria had made it work - they always made it work.

As they walked through hand-in-hand, Maria couldn't help but reflect on it all. "Remember when we could only write letters to each other, my sweet?" She mused softly.

"Of course, how could I forget," Charlie chuckled. "Those letters were lifelines."

"Those years of longing and waiting and being apart, they were worth it, weren't they?" Maria asked, looking up at him.

"Every second of it, sweetheart," Charlie said, pressing a tender kiss to her temple.

"I love you," Maria said.

"I love you more," Charlie said, untwining their hands so he could place his arm around Maria's waist instead. "Always more, doll."

"It's not a competition," Maria said, smiling softly.

"No," Charlie said. "It's not, but I still love you more and most."

Maria rolled her eyes softly before stopping in front of two gravestones. "We're here."

JOSEPH RICHARD KEATING

MARGARET ROSE KEATING

Maria leaned into Charlie's embrace as they stood before her parents' gravestones. She looked on at the two gravestones. It had been a while since she had been back to Ohio to visit her parents, to speak with them, and she suddenly felt a little choked up.

Charlie tightened his hold around her, offering silent comfort.

"I wish they were here to meet you," Maria whispered.

Charlie pressed a kiss to the top of her head. "I know, sweetheart."

Maria bent down, the fallen leaves crunching under her tweed skirt. "Mom, Dad," she began, her voice quivering. "I've brought someone very special for you to meet. His name's Charlie."

Charlie followed her, dropping onto one knee. "Hi Mr. and Mrs. Keating," he said and then looked over to Maria. He reached for her hand. He knew how much Maria's parents meant to her and how deeply their absence had been felt.

"You know, doll, I think it may be a little late for me to ask for your parents' permission now that we're already married," Charlie said, hoping to lighten the mood. There was a playful glimmer in his eyes - a look that had stayed after the last seven years and looked even more lovely on him at twenty-five, according to Maria. "I think I'm going to make a vow to them instead."

"A vow?"

He smiled and then turned to the gravestones. "Mr. and Mrs. Keating," he started. "I'm here before you today to make a vow - a promise. I promise to continue cherishing and protecting Maria Joanne Keating -" he paused, humour glinting in his eyes. "Actually, it's Dalton now, isn't it? Maria Joanne Dalton now."

Maria rolled her eyes at his wolfish grin. "Not technically," she said. "I haven't sent in the paperwork yet."

Charlie hummed. "We'll get to that," he promised. He turned back to the gravestones. "As I was saying - I promise to continue cherishing and protecting and loving Maria Joanne Dalton -" Maria giggled, "- with everything I have, for the rest of our lives. I promise to be her partner, her confidant, and her unwavering support through all the ups and downs. I vow to love her, to make her laugh every day, and hold her hand through every challenge and obstacle."

Charlie's voice trembled with emotion as he continued, his gaze never wavering from the gravestones even when Maria's grip tightened on his hand. "I promise to honor the love you had for your daughter. I vow to give Maria a lifetime of happiness and a love that knows no bounds."

Maria's eyes filled with tears as she listened to Charlie.

"Maria and I - we've been through a lot together ever since we met at sixteen," Charlie chuckled softly at that. "We've made it through distance, through being apart, through so much and for years our love really did know no bounds. No distance was far enough. No time apart was long enough to make our love waver. And I'd be the biggest idiot in the world if I let that go."

"Charlie -"

"So, I'm telling you Mr. and Mrs. Keating that your daughter is my everything and I promise to be the husband she deserves. I love her and I'll never stop. I promise you that, please believe in me and give me your blessing."

Maria pressed her lips to his when he finished and something in the air shifted. A gentle breeze rustled through the trees, carrying with it the faint scent of fall flowers. Sunlight filtered through the branches, casting a warm glow on the gravestones.

Maria pulled back from Charlie, a soft smile tugging at the corners of her lips as she glanced back at her parents' gravestones. The sunlight that had broken through the clouds seemed to have cast its glow on one special word in the epitaph under her parents' names.

Forever in our hearts, eternally embraced by the love you shared.

How serendipitous that the light shone on the golden word 'love'.

Maria squeezed Charlie's hand, pointing him to it. "I think they approve," she said.

"I think so too, doll," Charlie mumbled, pressing another kiss to the side of her head. "Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Keating."

Maria smiled, feeling significantly lighter already at having her parents' blessing. She leaned her head against Charlie's shoulder. "I can't believe we'll be leaving here soon," she said.

The two of them had spent the last few months meticulously tying up any of their loose ends in Vermont and Ohio before they officially settled down in their newlywed house in New York City.

One of those loose ends had been their wedding last week.

It was at their wedding - held in a splendid hotel just outside of Vermont - that had brought all of their friends back together. Their ceremony, though decked out with the luxury their pay figures could afford now, was still warm and cozy, filled with their loved ones and friends.

They had all been busy with their lives, but big events like these were always a welcomed opportunity to see one another again. The seven years had welcomed in new members of their friend group - Pitt's wife and Chris who had finally relented to Knox's love and given it a whirl. Evidently, things had worked out between Knox and Chris because the group had attended their wedding a little less than a year ago and the two were already expecting their first-born in a few months.

"We're going to be so far from everyone in New York," Maria said.

"Meeks will be in Boston - not that far from us," Charlie said. "Even Knox and Chris'll be close in Vermont. We'll make sure we visit them after the baby comes."

"Promise?" Maria asked, already excited at the prospect of welcoming in an honorary niece or nephew.

"Of course, doll."

"What about Neil and Todd?" Maria asked. "I forgot to ask them where they were settling down."

"Well, you were busy looking beautiful the whole wedding night," Charlie grinned at her. "But, Neil told me he and Todd are considering San Francisco," Charlie said, giving her a knowing smile. "It's thankfully a very tolerant state."

"San Francisco?" Maria repeated. "That's going to be across the country from us."

Charlie chuckled and pulled Maria closer. "I know, doll, quite a distance," he admitted. "But I think those two need the distance nowadays, don't you?"

Maria nodded a small smile on her lips. "It's good for them to find their own place in the world," she said. "I'm just sad we're all going to be so far apart."

"Distance won't fade our bonds," Charlie said dramatically. "Wasn't that what you once said."

Maria's nose crinkled at Charlie's teasing. "It won't right?"

"Definitely won't," he said. "We're all more than just friends bound by friendship. We're family bound by Dead Poets Honor."

Maria leaned further into Charlie, feeling the steady rhythm of his heartbeat and feeling very comforted by it all. As they stood there, wrapped in each other's arms, a gentle breeze rustled through the air. The wind seemed to carry with it a sense of promise and hope, as if nature itself was meticulously tying the knots between all the friends, ensuring that they all stayed tied to one another.

At that moment, Maria felt a deep sense of gratitude for the bonds they had forged over the years. The wind whispered through the trees, and Maria felt like she was hearing the voices of her friends, echoes of their laughter, shared stories, and cherished memories. Nature was affirming the unbreakable ties that had been woven between them - Dead Poets Honor was certainly an unbreakable bond.

After a while, Maria squeezed Charlie's hand, craning her neck up to receive a kiss from him.

Charlie's lips caressed Maria's with tenderness, carrying the weight of countless whispered promises and shared dreams. Their love was not merely a fleeting spark, but a flame that burned brightly, casting a warm glow on their lives. It was a love that had been tested, yet had emerged even more resolute and unyielding.

As they pulled away, their eyes met, and in that gaze, a thousand unspoken words passed between them. Their love was a language of its own, a symphony of understanding, passion, and unwavering commitment. It was a love that knew no boundaries, defying distance and time, binding them together even when apart.

Their love was an anchor, grounding them in the chaos of life's uncertainties. It was a safe haven, where they could be vulnerable, knowing that they were cherished and accepted. In each other's embrace, they found solace, strength, and the unwavering belief that they were meant to journey through life together.

Maria marvelled at the depth of Charlie's love, the way it seeped into every fiber of her being. It was a love that embraced her flaws, celebrated her victories, and held her hand through every trial. It was a love that made her feel seen, heard, and cherished.

"Uncle John and Aunt Alyssa said to drop by for dinner," Maria mentioned after a bit.

Charlie hummed, nodding, but his eyes were bright with mischief. "We have a couple of hours until then, isn't that right?"

"Yes," Maria replied, curiosity dancing in her eyes. "What's on your mind, Mr. Dalton?"

Charlie's smirk widened, his arms strong as he bent to sweep Maria into a bridal carry. Her surprised gasp shook up a part deep within him and he grinned down at her as her arms wrapped around his neck. "Why, Mrs. Dalton, we have important business to attend to."

"And what is that?"

"We gotta work on making a little poet of our own."

Maria's laughter rang out, mingling with Charlie's joyful chuckles as he carried her towards the car, the world full of possibilities stretching out before them.

In that moment, Maria thought without a shadow of a doubt that the people that enter your life have a special way of making it extraordinary.

THE END

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 61 25
'~ ''A camellia, rose and carnation would mean, ''Your loveliness attracts me. Smile upon me, and cheer my poor heart.'' '' (Astra Cielo) ~' '~Dione...
22.8K 576 13
Just oneshots of CoTE Cover is made by@Jianzu I don't think there would be a KiyoKei in this fic. Well who knows.
210K 5.7K 28
"You're going to have to trust me, Lyra, go home!" "And what? Leave you!?" ☘︎︎ ☘︎︎ ☘︎︎ Peter Parker - Andrew Garfield The Amazing Spider-Man Series C...
143K 3.6K 25
"before these stupid aliens came, my only problems were ben parish and... well.. ben parish." [EXTENDED SUMMARY INSIDE] • this is completed my loves...