The Second Avatar

By KiraKisa

Being the second Avatar is not an easy job... Avatar Korra is now in Republic City with her best friend Yue... More

Book I Chapter I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
Book II Chapter I
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
Book III Chapter I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
Book IV Chapter I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
Epilogue

II

6.1K 123 22
By KiraKisa

I stood next to Katara as Tenzin and the others prepared to leave. "I think you forgot a couple of things." Katara said.

Tenzin sighed. "Mother, I think I need some time alone with my family right now." He said.

"This is your family, Tenzin. When you get to be my age, you'll be thankful for the time you had with your siblings. Besides, I think it's important that you all visit your father's home together." Katara said.

"Come on, it'll be fun." Kya said.

"I'm dying to see that laid-back "Vacation Tenzin" I've heard so much about." Bumi said.

"All right. Hop on." Tenzin said with a sigh.

I gave Pema a hand up and the kids crushed me in hugs. "I wish you were coming with." Ikki said.

I smiled and gave them all tight hugs. "Me too, I'll see you guys soon okay?" I said. They nodded and hopped on. "Good luck Tenzin, and don't let your siblings get to you." I said as I gave him a hug.

He smiled and nodded then gave a hug to his mother. "I love you, mom. We'll see you soon. Oogi, yip yip." Tenzin said, then they were gone.

I went back to my hut and put on my training clothing, then I went with Korra to see Unaloq to train. "You're early." He said once we got there.

"What can I say? I'm pumped up to learn that Unalaq spirit fighting." Korra said.

I sighed. "I'm not here to teach you to fight spirits. I'm here to help you begin your spiritual training." Unaloq said.

"I'm just here to help." I said.

Unaloq nodded. "We're going to one of the most remote places in the world the long-neglected spiritual center of your tribe: the South Pole." He said

"You're gonna train me at the South Pole?" Korra asked.

"We will do more than just train. By neglecting the spirits, the people of the South have brought darkness upon themselves, and now it threatens to destroy our tribe." Unaloq said. "We must set things right. The Southern Water Tribe depends on you."

"A dangerous trip to the South Pole?" Korra asked. "Count me in."

"I'm going to go get ready." I said as I walked back to my hut.

Korra followed me in. "I just told the guys, so they're coming." She said smiling.

"That's great." I said as I pulled out different clothing.

"Are you okay?" Korra asked.

I nodded. "I just don't fully trust Unaloq Korra." I said.

"Why not?" Korra asked.

I sighed. "It's because of his stupid traditions and his influence on the Northern tribe that I am being forced to get married." I said.

"I'm sorry." Korra said.

I smiled at her. "It's not your fault, I'm not even sure why I'm upset about it. Iroh is my best friend, who knows? Maybe we'll fall in love someday." I said.

"Well today isn't that day, today we get to reconnect the spirit worlds." Korra said.

I laughed. "Maybe if we do this right I'll tell you who my parents are." I said as I re-did my hair.

"Really?" Korra asked.

"If you are going to begin your training with the spirits, then I think you should know." I said.

"Wait what?" Korra asked confused.

"I'll explain later, now leave so I an change and get ready." I said as I finshed with my hair.

I walked out with Korra and we met with the others. "I thought you said Bolin was coming." I said as I pulled my hood over my head.

"He said he'd be here, but I can't worry about it." Mako said, then he turned to Korra. "I have to make sure you have everything you need for a safe trip."

I gave him a weird look, over protective much? "Thanks, captain expedition, but I'll be fine." Korra said.

The engines were humming, and I got on one that was just mine. The only person i could share with was Desna, not gonna happen. "Tonraq, what do you want?" Unaloq said, I turned and saw that indeed Korra's father is there.

"I heard you're taking Korra to the South Pole. I'm coming." Tonraq said.

"Absolutely not. You're a distraction to Korra and a hindrance to what needs to be done." Unaloq said.

I glared at him. "He will not be a hindrance, watch your mouth." I said dangerously. If there's one thing Unaloq learned about me, it's that if it has something to do with the spirits; I am the person to go to.

"My daughter is not going without me. She needs someone to watch after her." Tonraq said.

"Dad, why do you always think you know what's best for me?" Korra asked.

"Because he's misguided. The sad truth is it's men like your father who have put the spirit world out of balance. He's ignored my warnings in the past and hasn't learned since." Unaloq said.

I glared at him. "Watch it." I said.

"What happened in the past?" Korra asked/

"It doesn't matter. What matters is the everstorm." Tonraq said.

"The everstorm?" Mako asked.

"It's a massive blizzard that's battered the South Pole for decades." I said while still glaring at Unaloq. He overstepped his bounds, and he is going to get an earful from me later.

"I'm coming, unless you think you can stop me." Tonraq said, he is the better bender.

We were about to leave when Bolin showed up. "Guys! Hey, wait for me!" He shouted, then he showed us his suit. "Check it out. I'm traveling in style."

Bolin reved the engine and nearly ran me over. "Hey!" I shouted annoyed.

"Okay, I'm sorry. Still getting used to that throttle." Bolin said.

"Uh, where'd you get the ride?" Mako asked.

"Varrick. He's awesome. He also gave me this fancy snowsuit. It's inflatable with an internal heater, emergency beacon, and food ration pouch. I mean, if I get lost, I can survive in this thing for, like, like, a month." Bolin said demonstrating his new clothing.

"Dad, come if you want. Just don't interfere with my training." Korra said.

I sighed and went by Tonraq. "She'll come around, don't worry." I told him.

"So once we get to the South Pole, then what happens?" Korra asked.

"You will open an ancient spirit portal." Unaloq said.

"I'm sorry. What now?" Korra asked.

"At the South Pole, there is a portal that connects our world to the spirit world. But it has long been closed." Unaloq said.

"And that's why the evil spirits are attacking?" Korra asked.

"There are no evil spirits." Unaloq said.

"There is light and dark in them all." I told Korra as I rode next to them.

"But when they're unbalanced, the darkness takes over. If you can open the portal in time, balance will be restored." Unaloq said.

"What do you mean "in time"?" Korra asked.

"There's a reason the glacier spirits festival ends on the winter solstice." Unaloq said.

"That's when the spirit world and the physical world are close together." I told her.

"Only then can the Avatar open the portal." Unaloq said.

"The winter solstice is tomorrow." Korra said.

"Exactly. And we can't afford to wait another year." Unaloq said.

We started out journey and encountered some dark spirits. They looked ready to attack, I glared at them. "Uncle, why do you think the dark spirits are following us?" Korra asked.

"Can we not talk about dark spirits, please?" Bolin whimpered.

"My brother doesn't like ghost stories." Mako said.

"Don't worry. I will protect you, my feeble turtle-duck." Eska said, that is a little creepy.

"Thank you." Bolin said as we found a place to set up camp.

"Sadly, this isn't a ghost story. This is real. The spirits are angry because he's here." Unaloq said looking at Tonraq.

I glared at him, now is not the time to bring something like that up. :Haven't you ever wondered how your father ended up in the South Pole? Why he's never taken you to visit his homeland in the North?" Unaloq questioned Korra.

"Unalaq, this is not the time." Tonraq said.

"You're right. You should have told her a long time ago." Unaloq said.

"Enough!" I said angrily.

"Told me what?" Korra asked.

"I left the North Pole because I was banished." Tonraq said.

"You were banished from the North? Why?" Korra asked.

"Because I almost destroyed the entire tribe." Tonraq said.

I sighed. "In the Northern Water Tribe we were being attacked, I had sworn to protect my people. I drove those who attacked us out of the city and deep into the frozen tundra. We tracked them deep into an ancient forest. Many believed this forest was the home to spirits, and the Barbarians retreated there because they thought wouldn't attack on such hallowed grounds." Tonraq continued.

"They thought wrong."

"We captured the barbarians, but in the process, we destroyed the forest. I didn't realize the consequences of what I had done. By destroying the forest, I unknowingly let loose angry spirits. They threatened to destroy everything." He continued.

"The entire city."

"Unalaq was able to guide the spirits back to the forest, but by then, the damage had been done. For being the cause of so much devastation, my father banished me from the Northern Water Tribe in shame. That's when I came to the South and started a new life." He ended the story.

"So you were supposed to be chief." Korra said.

"Then he became chief. No wonder you guys don't like each other." Bolin said, Mako and I smacked him.

"Ow! What? Isn't that what happened?" Bolin asked.

"I can't believe you kept this from me." Korra said.

"I was protecting you from the shame I brought on the family." Tonraq said.

"Why do you keep hiding things from me and then telling me it's for my own protection? I'm tired of you protecting me!" Korra said.

"Korra, calm down." I said forcefully.

"Korra, you have every right to be mad at me, but I don't want you to make the same mistake I made. I should have never gone into that forest, and we shouldn't be going to the South Pole now. Spirits and the physical world should remain separate." Tonraq said.

"Dad, it's my job to be the bridge between the spirits and the physical world, and I finally have a chance to live up to my potential." Korra said.

"You don't even know if what Unalaq says is true." Tonraq said.

"You want proof? Look to the sky. Where I'm from, the spirits are at peace, and they light up the dark." Unaloq said.

"The Northern Lights." Korra said.

"Yes. There used to be lights in the South as well. But during the hundred year war, the South was thrown out of balance, and the lights disappeared." Unaloq said.

I sighed, the North and the South have been at odds for centuries. "When the war ended, the North helped to rebuild you physically as a nation. But we have not rebuilt you spiritually. Now the spirits no longer dance in your skies. Instead, they rampage in the everstorm."

"Is that what I think it is?" I asked as I saw dark spirits.

"We must keep moving." Unaloq said.

"Oh, man. I really don't like this." Bolin said.

"Bolin, just stay calm." Mako said.

"Calm." I said quietly as it looked at us, then it attacked. I quickly pulled the others out of the way, then Korra tried to calm it down. "That's it!" I said happily.

Except it didn't last very long. "Korra move!" I shouted as I moved between her and the spirit, it didn't like that.

Unaloq ran forward and calmed it down, I sighed in relief. Stupid limitations. "Is everyone okay?" He asked.

"Uh, can someone please deflate me?" Bolin asked.

"Now what are we supposed to do?" Korra asked as we looked at our destoyed equipment. "There's only one thing to do. We have to turn back." Tonraq said.

"The solstice is tonight. We're so close." Korra said.

"This mission is too dangerous. We're leaving." Tonraq said.

"No, dad. You're leaving." Korra said.

_____________________________________

"We've arrived." I said.

"Trees frozen in ice. It's just like the Sacred Forest Tonraq destroyed in the North." Unaloq said.

"So what do I do?" Korra asked.

"You must find your way to the heart of the forest where the dormant spirit portal lies. From here, you're on your own." Unaloq said.

"Wait a second. There's no way she's going alone." Mako said.

"I will not let Korra go in there alone." I said.

"Yeah, if she goes, we go too." Bolin said.

"The Avatar must go alone." Unaloq said.

"But I don't have any connection with the spirits. In fact, it seems like they hate me." Korra said.

"You have to believe in yourself like I believe in you." Unaloq said, Korra looked at him surpirsed. "What is it?"

"I guess I'm just so used to people telling me how to do things that I forgot what it was like to have someone trust in me other than Yue." Korra said.

"Korra, all the past avatars live on inside of you. Let them guide you. Let them help you find the light in the dark." Unaloq said.

"Wait here. I'll be okay." Korra said.

I smiled gently at her. "Good luck." I said.

We waited for awhile, then I saw the lights in the sky. "The spirits dancing in the sky." I said in awe.

"I can't believe it." Mako said.

"It's beautiful." I said.

"She did it."

I jumped up when I saw Korra walk ou. "Hey, Korra, you're back! Hey, Korra's back!" Bolin shouted hugging her, or trying to. He was stopped by Eska.

"Why are you initiating physical contact with another woman?" She asked deadly.

I went to Korra and engulfed her in a hug. "Everything you said was true." She said.

"Avatar Korra, you have taken the first step in bringing balance back to the South, and soon, the whole world." Unaloq said.

I walked over to him as Korra spoke to Mako. "Thank you for helping her do this." I said.

Unaloq bowed. "It was my honor to do so." He said, what is it with men and honor?

I smiled, then it turned deadly. "If you ever try to control her like you did this entire trip again, I will not hesitate to bring the entire council down on you." I said.

After that we made our way back to the tribe. I came to a hault when I saw the Northern tribes troups in the city. "What are all your northern troops doing here?" Korra aksed voicing my thoughts.

"Opening the spirit portal was only the first step in getting the Southern Water Tribe back on its righteous path. There's more difficult work to be done before our two tribes are truly united." Unaloq said.

Oh no he didn't.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.5K 1.5K 44
After three years, Team Avatar is back in Republic City for Prince Wu's coronation. However, after things take an unexpected turn, Ulazu is forced to...
9.7K 250 13
WARNING: If you have not read the first book (Love is in the air) I recommend reading that first to get a better sense of this book. After the equali...
76.5K 3.4K 60
After fighting last years battles, Ulazu is free to chase her dream of being a pro bender before her family responsibilities catch up to her. But as...
22K 744 26
Y/N is a prodigious water bender with a secret - she is a dual bender who has mastered both water and another element. In the middle of the night, Ko...