Wild, Wild West. || Charlie S...

By winkywonker

[DISCONTINUED] Being the child of Yellowbrook's sheriff isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world, especia... More

2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10

1

2.5K 70 146
By winkywonker

"But papa, you know how those bandits are." You frowned, quickly following beside your father's horse as he exited the stable. "They're dangerous, they won't let anyone get in their way."

Your father was a very stern, strong man. No wonder he was the best damn sheriff in town. But no matter how strong he was, it always scared you when he went out to finish a job. Especially when it came to this group of bandits.

They had been terrorizing your town for months now, and not one person had been able to catch them. Hell, no one had even seen any of their faces.

Bandits usually worked in groups, and in this case, there was three of them. Everywhere they went witnesses could hear them laughing, which eventually led the town to refer to them as the "Chuckle Boys". After every crime they've committed, townsfolk could always hear them laughing and howling in the distance. Almost as if it was a taunt of some sort.

"This is my job, sweetheart. You know I'll be fine. Besides, maybe we'll manage to catch these slimey bastards." Your father huffed out, placing his pistol in his holster. "Just stay here at the station, and feed the horses while you're at it, would ya?"

Crossing your arms, you let out an aggravated huff. "Fine, but please be careful, Papa. 'Ma doesn't want you drinking at the saloon and missing dinner again."

All your father did was laugh a bit to himself, before gripping onto the reigns of his horse and taking off. You let out an aggravated sigh before walking into the stable, grabbing a few things to feed to the remaining horses. While you were at it, you refilled their water trough, just so they'd have something to drink.

Once done with that task, you headed into the sheriff's station. Everyone knew who your father was, so seeing you at the station was a common occurrence. Though your father was the head sheriff, that didn't make him the only sheriff. In fact, your friend Wilbur had been one for a while now.

You had known Wilbur almost for as long as you'd been alive. The two of you used to run around as little kids, chasing different animals around and trying to catch them. Wilbur had always been fascinated by your father's work, so it didn't surprise you when he did everything to get the position when it opened up.

Funny enough, your parents had even tried to set you up with him time to time. But he was pretty much your best friend, and you wanted nothing more.

"Y'know, I heard your argument with your dad. He's just trying to protect the town, Y/N, I wouldn't hassle him too much." Wilbur said with a small chuckle, leaning back in his chair.

Rolling your eyes, you walked over and sat down, crossing your arms as you leaned back slightly. "Either way, 'Ma would only scold him for the same things. If he were to get hurt.. or worse, we wouldn't know what to do."

Wilbur hummed before slowly standing up, beginning to organize a few things on his desk. "I'm just saying, he already goes through a lot on the job." He chuckled a bit. "Say, here in a bit, you want me to give you a ride back to your house? I wouldn't mind to. We could explore a bit on the way too."

"You sure, Wil? I mean, a ride would be nice. 'Ma will probably want me home to help with supper." You said with a small nod. "When will we go?"

Glancing out the window, Wilbur cracked his knuckles and sighed. "Maybe in just a bit, I've still got some tidying up to do around here. Since you already took care of the horses, though, it shouldn't be long."

Like Wilbur said, it wasn't long until he got finished with the rest of his tasks, and the two of you walked out to the stable together. You leaned against a support beam while Wilbur opened one of the stalls and gently led his horse, Vienna, out of it.

Looking at you, Wilbur chuckled and held his hand out. "Want me to help you up?"

"Do you think I can't climb onto a horse?" You scoffed playfully, smiling as you carefully hopped up, sitting near the backside of Vienna's saddle. 

He couldn't help but laugh before hopping up as well, grabbing onto the reigns as you scooted closer to him. "Might wanna hold on, she likes to run really fast."

Giggling, you wrapped your arms around his waist, smiling a bit. "You act like I've never been on your horse before." You teased slightly, listening to him as he laughed, before taking off.

It was always nice to ride around, especially with Wilbur. He managed to make everything more fun than it was supposed to be, which made everything better. He would always take crazy paths, just to speed things up and put more thrill into the ride.

As Vienna hopped over a fallen tree, you squealed and hugged tightly onto Wilbur. He just laughed as he listened to you. "I told you we'd be going fast!"

"I didn't think this fast!" You laughed, hugging tighter onto your friend. It didn't take long before the two of you arrived at your house, a cozy log home built on a hill near a deep path of woods.

Hopping down, Wilbur took the reigns on Vienna and carefully lead her to a post, tying her down before helping you hop down.

The two of you walked inside only to be met with your mother, who stood in the kitchen, chopping vegetables for that nights supper. "Ah, Wilbur, was a pleasant surprise. You want anything to eat, darling?"

"I'm good, Mrs. L/N. Thank you for the offer, though. My own mother would be upset if I spoiled my appetite." Wilbur said with a small chuckle.

Your mother smiled and hummed as she continued chopping different vegetables, placing them in a pot. "Like I've said before, Wilbur, you can call me April. I've know you since you were younger, there's no need for the 'Mrs' anymore."

Wilbur laughed a bit and nodded. "Right, I forget sometimes. Force of habit." He laughed a bit, before turning towards the door. "Anyway, I better get going. I promised Phil I'd stop by the post office and see if he had any mail. He's a bit busy today, teaching Tommy how to horse back ride."

"Aww, how sweet." Your mother smiled. "Stay safe, Wilbur. Oh, and if you see James, could you let him know I'd like him home after he finishes up today? I expect him to be home for dinner for once." She hummed, placing more vegetables in the pot.

Nodding, Wilbur smiled before making his way out, giving both you and your mother as small wave as he left. "He's such a sweet boy you know, I'm surprised you haven't been interested in him." You mother said in a slightly teasing tone, humming quietly to herself.

Rolling your eyes, you walked over and stood besides her, shaking your head. "He's just my friend, 'Ma. I want nothing more." You sighed, before peeking over into the pot. "Need any help with anything?"

She thought for a moment as her hands continued to swiftly chop up vegetables, before nodding slightly. "Yes actually, I was planning on making some apple cobbler tonight, so would you be a dear and go out and pick some apples?"

Hearing that made your eyes light up almost immediately. You adored your mother's cooking, but her desserts were practically better than anything else in the world. "Apple cobbler?! Of course I'll go out and fetch some!" You smiled, before grabbing your jacket and slipping it on.

"Just be careful though, alright? You know how I feel about everything, especially with those damn bandits running around. Take Ol' Basil out for a ride, too. She's been dying for some action." Your mother hummed softly, eventually finishing up with the vegetables and soon beginning to cut little chunks off of a large slab of deer meat. "Oh, and be home before dark, too!"

Quickly you ran towards the door, not hesitating with this at all. "Okay, 'Ma! See you later!" You called out, before rushing to the back of your house, carefully untying your mother's horse, Basil.

Basil was basically a gentle giant who loved to get out there and explore, but since your mother never traveled much anymore, poor Basil was most of the time stuck waiting around the house. Luckily you were there to take her out most days, the two of you had a special bond from all of the adventures you had shared.

"Ready for a nice trip, Ol' Girl?" You hummed, before hopping onto the saddle on Basil's back. "Maybe if the orchards nice and full, you can get yourself a little snack, too."

The horse clacked on the ground in excitement, a joyful huff escaping from the majestic creatures mouth. Hearing the noises put a smile on your face, and soon the two of you were off.

Riding through the woods was honestly the best part of your day, the sound of wind rustling through leaves and birds singing their daily songs sent a calm sensation through your body. Basil seemed to enjoy it too, letting out happy purrs and neighs here and there.

"It's not too far from here girl, we just gotta get through these woods and we'll be in apple heaven." You smiled, giving Basil a gentle pat as she trotted her way through the woods.

As you traveled the path things began to get a bit rough, one side of the land by the path was just smooth with a slight curve downwards, while the other side was a steep hill.

While you made your way down the path it seemed fairly peaceful, no animals or any other living thing in sight. That was, until Basil stopped in her tracks and let out a terrified cry.

"Woah, girl! What's the matter?" You asked quickly, gripping onto the reigns, trying to keep Basil contained. Looking forward you noticed a long snake right in your path, sticking its head in the air and hissing at both you and Basil.

A small chuckle escaped you as you adjusted yourself on the saddle. "Aww, it's alright, girl. Just a snake." You hummed, before grabbing your pistol. "Go on now, get out of here!" You called out to the snake.

Despite your calls the snake kept its ground, eventually going in for an attack. It slid forward and snapped at Basil's feet, causing the horse to stand on its back legs and let out another cry of terror.

Unfortunately for you, you lost your grip on Basil's reigns and fell right off, letting out a scream as you began tumbling down the steep hill. Poor Basil was so terrified that she just ran, not even looking back to keep check on you.

Rolling down the hill was probably the worst thing you had experienced in a while. You screamed feeling different sticks and rocks scratching your skin and clothes. You attempted to grab onto something to slow your tumble, but everything you grabbed were just piles of leaves and sticks.

As you tumbled you hit your head on a large rock that stuck out of the hill, causing yourself to lose consciousness. When you regained it, though, you were laying at the bottom of the hill, resting on a pile of dead leaves and twigs. The sky had grown dark, so it was hard to see your surroundings, besides the tall trees that towered over you.

"Shit.." You cursed at yourself, immediately standing up and leaning against a tree. "'Ma's gonna kill me.." You muttered to yourself, rubbing your face. Not only were you now lost in the deep, dark woods, but you had most likely lost Basil now, too.

Your body ached like hell, you couldn't see the damage too well but you just knew it wasn't what you wanted to see.

Cursing to yourself, you gripped tightly onto the tree, taking a deep breath before letting out a whistle. "Basil! Here girl!" You attempted to call out, only to no avail. Basil was most likely long gone by now, meaning you were stranded all alone.

Squinting, you felt around, grabbing onto different trees to guide yourself through the woods. You couldn't see too well, but luckily the stars in the sky provided somewhat of a light. At least you could see the deep dark shadows of what you could only hope were trees.

You walked for about thirty minutes in the dark woods, having to take small breaks here and there since your body was still sore from the fall. Resting against a tree, though, you managed to see a small light in the distance.

A campfire.

Instantly relief began to flood through you. If this was someone's camp, you might actually be able to get out of there and get back home.

Picking up your speed, you began to sprint towards the faint light, leaves and sticks crunching under your boots. A wide smile grew on your face, but as you grew closer you slowed, your flood of relief soon turning into fear as you could hear the laughs and cackles of three men.

Oh, and you knew those laughs from anywhere.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.9K 1.3K 46
Outlaws are the worst thing to ever plague the kingdom. Hiding around every corner, just waiting to attack. It's impossible to ever feel safe. At lea...
5.2K 111 18
After owning a small business for a couple years, and having a growing following on youtube to come with it, you receive a direct message you never s...
618 42 21
-"Quackity from Las Nevadas, I think I trust you." This story is based off the lore 'movie' that Quackity posted on his youtube channel. Creds at the...
9.8K 158 19
[mature content, mature language] i hate giving the story line away in the description, so pls read! <3