Blue Blood || Caspian X

By blink_and_youre_dead

James Pevensie and his siblings unexpectedly return to Narnia, but everything's changed. He hadn't expected t... More

Blurb
Playlist
Characters
Epigraph
Chapter 1- Pathetic Energetic
Chapter 2- Happily Home
Chapter 3- Run Of A Mouth
Chapter 4- Name
Chapter 5- Attack
Chapter 6- Battle Of The Boys
Chapter 7- I Am An Adult
Chapter 8- I'm James
Chapter 9- Forest Talks And Walks
Chapter 10- Back In Beruna
Chapter 11- Training
Chapter 12- Peter's A Bitch
Chapter 13- Family
Chapter 14- Caspian
Chapter 16- Die
Chapter 17- Seeing You This Way
Chapter 18- The Meeting
Chapter 19- The Proposition
Chapter 20- James
Chapter 21- Battle For Kingship
Chapter 22- A Pain In The Shoulder
Chapter 23- They're Alive
Chapter 24- Aslan's Return
Chapter 25- Talking and Walking
Chapter 26- Under The Fireworks
Chapter 27- To Want But To Never Have
Epilogue
Book Three

Chapter 15- The Siege Where Everything Went Wrong

3.3K 191 30
By blink_and_youre_dead

Somewhere darker, talkin' the same shite
I need a partner, well, are you out tonight?
It's harder and harder to get you to listen
More I get through the gears
Incapable of makin' alright decisions, and havin' bad ideas
Now it's three in the mornin' and I'm tryin' to change your mind
- Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High? • Arctic Monkeys

The night was black, and no noise was being made. James had always loved the darkness: it was an escape from the light of day. There was something so free about it, but nothing was more freeing than flying.

    As the plan had dictated, the griffins flew the Pevensie's, Caspian and Trumpkin over the Castle until the signal was given. Edmund would be first, and his griffin flew faster than the rest of them. The mice would scuttle in through the portcullis as this happened, and the other Narnian's would start their trek.

     The light flickered in the sky: that was the cue.
     Caspian was slightly behind the rest of them having dropped to cut down a Telmarine soldier. It was sort of brave the way he was willing to fight against his own people. James admired it- he wasn't sure he'd ever be able to.

     When they were put to land, James felt relief. Thought it was only the beginning, it meant a lot to see even one thing go right.

     First on the agenda was going to Caspian's Professors chamber. He lead the group swiftly, and James made sure he was never further than ten feet behind. The Castle was creepy, and uneasy: James didn't like it one bit.

     However, it only worsened when they ran into the chamber. It was empty. Caspian held thinly wired glasses in his hand, then looked up. There was a sort of regret in his dark eyes, a pain.

  "I have to find him." Announced the Prince, as if it was the only thing that mattered.

  "You don't have time." Peter scolded, seemingly thinking it was his choice.

  James sighed. "We can make time."

  "You need to get the gate open." Persisted the second brother.

  "You wouldn't even be here without him." Snapped Caspian, angrily. Then, sombrely, he said. "And neither would I."

  "Don't think like that." James shook his head, softly.

  Susan interrupted, helpfully. "You and I can deal with Miraz if James goes with Caspian."

  "And I can still get to the gate in time." The Prince promised. With a curt nod, the five split, and went to their next positions.

     Trumpkin went to the gatehouse alone as the middle Pevensie siblings made their way towards Miraz's chambers. As this happened, Caspian dragged James down to the dungeons. He found it to be a drab and dreary place: he never wanted to go there again.

   The Telamarine Prince fumbled around for the keys- and when he found them there was a bright smile upon his face. It was interesting to say the least.

    Caspian gestured for James to be quiet, and he did. The King stayed outside of the cell, making sure that no one would disturb their business. There wasn't much else he could do, and there wasn't much time.

    When Caspian opened the door, the professor was lying on the floor, facing the wall.

  "Five more minutes?" Whispered Caspian as he attempted to find the right keys.

  "What are you doing here?" his professor questioned, mortified at the sight of the Prince. "I didn't help you escape just so you could break back in. You have to get out before Miraz learns you're here."

  Caspian smirked as he unlocked the shackles. "He's going to learn soon enough."

  James span around, momentarily to see the grey bearded Professor. "We're giving him your cell."

  Caspian attempted to leave the prison room, but his Professor held him back by the wrist, frustrated. "Don't underestimate Miraz as your father did."

  "What are you talking about?"

  "I'm sorry..." At that, Caspian ran out, past James and ignoring his Professor.

  Concerned, the King followed suite. "Caspian!"

     James didn't know where the Telmarine Prince was heading, but followed him anyway. The Castle was new to him: even when he lived in Cair Paravel for more than ten years, he felt as if he barely knew the place. This was like hell.

     It was only when they ran into the room that James understood where they were. It was Miraz's room. Him and his wife were lying together in bed, asleep.

    James stopped by the door, afraid of what Caspian would do next. Slowly, the Prince skulked around to Miraz's side of the bed, and withdrew his sword, silently.

  "Caspian..." James hissed, edging closer to the black haired boy. "Caspian... this isn't a good idea."

  The blade touched Miraz's neck, maliciously. That was when the Telmarine awoke. "Thank goodness you're safe."

  "Get up." Commanded Caspian, harshly. It made James nervous to see him that way.

  As Miraz got out of his bed like his nephew had stated, he tapped his wife's stomach. "Caspian?" Prunaprismia queeried, kneeling on the mattress.
  "Stay where you are.."

  "What are you doing?" His aunt couldn't believe what was happening. A sword was at Miraz's neck.

  "I should think it's obvious, dear." Miraz suggested. "You know, some families might consider this inappropriate behaviour."

  "That doesn't seem to have stopped you." Caspian hissed, pushing the sword harder against Miraz. He didn't seem to care of the damage, and that was more worrying than anything.

  Lowly, the King whispered. "You should calm down Caspian, really."

  "But you're not like me, are you." The Telmarine spat, disgusted. "It's sad. The first time you've shown any backbone... and it's such a waste."

  Prunaprismia called, rigging a crossbow and aiming it at her nephew. "Put the sword down, Caspian. I don't want to do this."

  "Don't you?" Spat James, grabbing a small knife from his belt. It was the perfect size for throwing: no one ever survived one of James' shots.

  "We don't want you to either." Susan stated as she walked into the room, her arrows angled towards Miraz's wife.

  "This used to be a private room." Scoffed the Telmarine.

  "And this used to be a beautiful country." Laughed James, unimpressed. "You're the reason they're not anymore."

  "What are you doing?" Peter screeched, clearly annoyed by their decisions. James couldn't fault it. "You're supposed to be in the gatehouse!"

     That was when Caspian snapped.

     "No!" He stepped forwards, pressing the blade into Miraz's neck, blood dribbling down his olive skin. His voice was intense, and harsh. For the first time, James was seeing him angry, and he hoped it would be the last. "Tonight, for once, I want the truth. Did you kill my father?"

  "Now we get to it."

  "You said your brother died in his sleep." Prunaprismia gaped.

  "That was more or less true."

  Susan called out, strictly. "Caspian, this won't make things any better."

  "She's right." James stepped forwards, his view slightly blocked by his blonde hair. He placed a hand upon Caspian's armoured shoulder, in attempt to comfort without too much distraction. "Come on, please. We can sort everything out once we get Peter's stupid plan out of the way."

  "We Telmarine's would have nothing had we not taken it." Miraz seethed as his back pressed against the stone wall. "Your father knew that as well as anyone."

  "You took it from their people." Caspian trailed, becoming more infuriated by the minute. "From James' people."

  "How could you?" Prunaprismia gasped, just as unaware as the rest of them.

  "For the same reason you will pull that trigger!" Miraz cried, maliciously. "For our son!"

  "Stop!" Threatened his wife as more blood trickled, slickly from his wound.

  "Stay right there." Susan called.

  Swapping his blades from dagger to sword, James joined the gang. "I didn't want to have to do this."

  Miraz smiled, coyly. "You need to make a choice, dear. Do you want our child to be a King? Or do you want him to be like Caspian, here? Fatherless!"

  "No!" Prunaprismia wailed as she fired her crossbow. It lunches into Caspian's arm and he cried out in pain. At the same time, Susan shot Miraz's wife.

     One dead.

     One injured.

     That, and Miraz had escaped.

     There was no time wasted as Peter raced out into the corridor. Alarm bells began to sound: their cover was blown. Everything was going wrong.

  "Peter!" Susan called after her older brother. Following, Caspian was holding his arm, and James was attempting to create a form of tourniquet. He didn't want his friend to bleed out, and already, there was red seeping onto his white shirt.

  "Our troops are just outside! Come on!"

  "I knew this was a bad idea." James threatened, emptily, as he rubbed his arms.

  Running into the courtyard, Peter called to his younger brother. "Now, Ed! Now! Signal the troops!"

  "I'm a bit busy, Pete!" Edmund retaliated, his words strained. He'd been found by some Telmarine's and was having problems of his own. Why did everything have to be so wrong?

  "Peter! It's too late!" Susan warned her brother. "We have to call it off while we still can."

  "No, I can still do this." Peter began to turn the wheel for the portcullis to lift by himself.

  The Telmarine soldiers began to run through the stone walls. James hissed. "What are you trying to prove that you haven't already?"

  "Help me." Pushed Peter, straining with pressure.

    Caspian, James and Susan joined pushing the wheel. Gradually the portcullis began to rise, and space became accessible for their troops; if they ever got their. Of course, this wasn't done without James grumbling the entire time. He was angry, and was angry with his brother for a multitude of reasons.

  "Exactly who are you doing this for, Peter?" Scoffed Susan, but there was no answer.

    It seemed that Edmund must've defeated the Telmarine as the Narnian's began to flood through the gates. Thank God for them.

  "for Narnia!" Peter cried for baffle.

  James raised his eyebrows, and rolled his eyes. "For Aslan!"

     The fight began, the battle, the siege. James had a few weapons, but not many that were good for close combat. Despite it being one of his weaker weapons, James used his swords. With one in each hand, it would seem that he was a troublesome fighter. Peter was lucky to have him; and he forgot that too often.

   James struck down man after man, and let his heart grow heavy as he did. It never became any easier. Those around him fell left and right, and soon there was a circle of dead Telmarines piling around the King. Easily, he had the highest kill count- but that wasn't what mattered.

    One soldier managed to slice through James' hand, and blue blood began to seep from his bones. This didn't stop him, of course it didn't. He couldn't stop fighting.

     Before they knew it, the portcullis began to fall. Thankfully, a Minotaur had gotten there in time, and held it up on his shoulders. It wouldn't last for long. It couldn't.

  "Call it off!" James protested as he sliced through the chest of another Telmarine. "Peter, I swear to you! Call it off!"

  "Fall back!" The younger announced, and Caspian disappeared at the sound. "We need to retreat now! Go! Get her out of here!" He had told Glenstorm, so he raced, and picked up their elder sister. "Back to the gate! Go!"

  "Where's Caspian?" James wondered as his breath left him.

  "We'll find him."

     The younger of the two ran around, telling people they had to leave. Everything was going so quickly, and it seemed that James lost track of it all. One moment he was staring at the sky, watching Edmund ride out on a griffin; the next, he was crumbling to the stone floor.

  "Peter!"

      A hand clutched his stomach, and felt a warm wetness. A blue mixture, thick and hot was spilling quickly from the wound.

  "Please don't let me die." He whispered. "I don't want to die."

     The next part was all a blur. James was sure they escaped, but not without cost. Caspian was there too, applying pressure to his wound as they rode back to the tomb. All the way back, James said those words as if it were a mantra.

  "Please don't let me die. I don't want to die. Please don't let me die. I don't want to die."

  Holding his stomach, Caspian whispered. "I won't let you die. I promise I won't let you die."

•  -  -  •
2133
•  -  -  •

Disclaimer!!!!
I don't own anything to do with the Narnia book series or film trilogy. These predominantly belong to C.S. Lewis. However, I do own James Pevensie, Alfie and Harvey Gallagher, and their respective alterations to the storyline.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.5K 1K 20
Edmund and Arabella are back in Narnia, happy to be reunited there. Things turn really quickly, as a green mist threatens all they know and love, br...
112K 2.1K 25
When the Pevensies return to Finchley they don't know how they'll cope without Narnia . That is until they bump into Arabella Greene a girl with a br...
15.3K 260 15
Around a year after they have returned from Narnia Edmund falls ill and the doctors believe they cannot save them. A message from Aslan reaches the P...
50.3K 1.2K 11
Y/n, Edmund, and the other Pevensie siblings haven't been to Narnia in awhile. And they all miss it. They miss the adventure, the creatures. Everythi...