Hustle For Love |COMPLETE| Ma...

By Iv_Roo

#6 in Lifestory out of ~10K stories (June, 2021) When THE Nandini Murthy met Manik F*CKBOI Malhotra, during h... More

Welcome Note!
1. The One Where It All Begun
2. The One Where Friendship Brewed
3. The One Where We Talked Heart To Heart
4. The One Where An Admirer Walked In
5. The One Where We Celebrated Christmas
6. The One Where We Kissed
7. The One Where We Made Out
8. The One Where We Made Love
9. The One Where He Broke My Heart
10. The One Where I Fell Apart
11. The One Where We Crossed Paths Again
12. The One Where I Was Found Guilty
13. The One Where FAB 5 Broke Up
14. The One Where The Truth Was Out
15. The One Where I Celebrated My Birthday
16. The One Where She Shone Like A Star
17. The One Where I Wanted Her Close
18. The One Where She Stole My Heart
19. The One Where I Fell In Love
20. The One Where I Proposed To Her
21. The One Where She Broke My Heart
22. The One Where I Was Set Free
6 YEARS LATER
23. The One Where I Was Happy Again
24. The One Where Everything Changed
25. The One Where Fab 5 Reunited
26. The One Where We Broke Ice
27. The One Where We Tried Being 'Friends'
28. The One Where We Laughed A Little
29. The One Where There Was Hope
30. The One Where I Found His Music
31. The One Where I Cried A Little
32. The One Where We Hit Reset
33. Interlogue I: What happens in LA, stays in LA
34. Interlogue II: It's Vegas, Baby!
35. The One Where We Were On Precipice
36. The One Where We All Got Planning
37. The One Where I Surprised Her
38. The One Where She Confided In Me
39. The One Where It Hit The Roof
40. The One Where Fireflies Glowed
41. The One Where You & I Became 'Us'
42. The One Where I Was Unsure
43. The One Where We Stumbled
44. The One Where We Went On A Date
45. The One Where I Popped The Question
46. The One Where I Made A Choice
47. The One Where I Met The Aussie Clan
49. The One Where I Found Perspective
50. The One Where A Lot Happened!
51. The One Where Hell Broke Loose
52. The One Where I Thought It's Over
53. The One Where Stars & Fireflies Sparkled
54. The One Where Love Bloomed: An Epilogue
New MaNan Story : Celebrity Castaway

48. The One Where We Both Were Surprised

1.3K 158 28
By Iv_Roo

A/N: Dear Readers, presenting a chapter of Manik-Nandini-Roo to you all! Hope you like what you read :)

Happy Reading!

PS - Chapter not proof read, apologies in advance :(

PPS - India woke up today, to the deeply painful news of the legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar's demise. May her soul rest in peace. Om Shanti.

***

24 Warren Street, Palm Cove, Cairns, Australia circa 2019

(Manik's Guest Room, Poolside Villa)

Nandini Murthy

"No Manik, I insist that I stay here, till we've really spoken" I reiterated as politely as I could, once more, before walking into Manik's guest room. We had finally returned from Appa's, after dinner & I really needed some time-out right then to sort my head with the information explosion I had from the dinner.

Manik looked at me dejected for a couple of seconds and mumbled again, "Nandu, why are you even staying here, you should have stayed in my room from the time you came here, nah?"

"It's really okay Manik, I just need some sleep & a little bit of space. Let's talk tomorrow?" I requested as calmly as I could, even though fatigue & irritation was getting the best of me. Manik seemed to realize that I was struggling with my temper, so thankfully he didn't push further; he just placed a soft goodnight peck on my forehead and mumbled a quick 'love you' and left for his room. I quickly shut my door and flopped on the bed, covering my face between my palms. I was exhausted.

When Manik walked in and saw me at his father's place, he was too shocked to say anything for a couple of seconds & once he unfroze, he dashed to me engulfing me in a gigantic hug amidst a lot of hoots & cheers from Cabir, Priyank & Appa! I felt the intensity of the hug would crush my ribs and squeeze out my organs from my mouth, but I didn't stop it; I needed this. I needed his assurance that he was here & he was happy to see me; I needed to be doubly sure that unlike all other times between us, nothing was about to fall apart.

"Nandu.." he whispered my name like a prayer amidst the hug & just as I was about to pull out of the hug & kiss him, a polite cough from beside me made me realize where we were & I think it brought Manik out of his trance too, since we both seemed to automatically pull back & look around awkwardly.

"Rest to be continued, when away from adult supervision!" Priyank called out cheekily, earning Manik's glare & Cabir's snigger!

"Aah, so the surprise thing somehow worked out!" it was Appa who spoke this time, and suddenly the little incident from a few minutes back flashed in my mind. I looked around to see, Soha wasn't around; maybe she didn't see Manik coming?

"When did you arrive here, Nandu?" Manik's dazed voice turned my focus onto him again. I smiled as I walked with the rest of them to finally settle down around the coffee table to chat.

"It's been two days. I came here to surprise you, but I was surprised in turn to see that you're not here" I replied slowly, trying not to sound bitter so soon.

"Why didn't you tell me you're here, I'd have come sooner!" he replied earnestly.

"How'd you come sooner, Manik, by leaving Mrs. N's wedding?" I asked back, with a straight face. However, before Manik could reply, it was Appa, who spoke.

"How about we let these two catch up a little, before we join them? Come Cabir & Priyank, let us go to the patio & enjoy some drinks!"

As soon as they all left, I turned to look at Manik, my eyes held hope; hope that he'd have a legit reason for being so cryptic about his whereabouts with me. "So you know about it, I guess AK couldn't hold on any longer, could he; when did you get to know?" he asked, surprised.

Wait, Aryamann? How & why'd Arya know about all this?

"Arya?" I asked, in surprise.

"He didn't tell you, then who did? Cabir wouldn't I know. Oh, dad?" Manik asked, again.

"How'd Arya know about your whereabouts Manik, what am I not following?" I asked, perturbed.

Manik looked at me as understanding finally seemed to dawn on him. "Oh so you don't know everything" he mumbled to himself & now it was irritating me to the core.

"Are you going to explain what's going on Manik, and how is Arya involved in this?" I hissed at him. He nodded slowly & clutched my hand assuringly. Was I in for some rude shock, Ayappa?

"Nandu, it's true that Nyonica re-married & I had gone to attend that wedding; but I suppose what you don't know is..well..she got married to..erm..AK's dad..umm so yes, he kinda knows all this; in fact he was there too, at the wedding, and currently all of them are here in Cairns, we flew down together today, for er..the reception & so called family dinner this week, here" he finished, looking at me cautiously, probably wondering how'd I react to this news.

How'd I react? I think I had forgotten to breathe, the shock was monumental. Arya & Manik's parents got married?! Does that make my ex-fiance & my current fiance, step brothers now?! Wait, was it not bad enough that I broke Arya's heart, that now I'd be his step sister-in-law for life? Ayappa, what were you thinking?? Arghhh.

"Nandu, you okay baby?" Manik sounded worried as I found him gently shaking me by the shoulders.

"You think I'd be okay?" I snapped back at him. I felt guilty doing so, what was his fault in this, but I couldn't help it. My head was reeling in possibilities now. Wait, they have all flown here for what, a family dinner? Which family!? Ughh.

"Also, family dinner? Dinner with the family Mrs. N abandoned, to celebrate her joining the new family she abandoned this one for? You Malhotra's are the limit, Manik!" I snapped again, and to my surprise Manik chuckled this time!

"What's so funny, Manik?" I glared at him.

"Nandu, baby I know this is all very f*cked up, but amidst this chaos I suddenly have you by my side & with you here, right next to me, I am finding something to laugh about even amidst this pandemonium!" he whispered. His answer was honest & heartfelt & I smiled a little. Agreed there were so many more questions I had to ask, but for now, I was at peace knowing that he was very happy to see me here, in his own world! Maybe, I could find a home here?

"Maaaannnnniiikkk" a sudden shriek from one corner of the shook us both, it was Soha. She was back again. Perfect!

"Hey Soh! Did you meet Nandu here? Did you know she flew down all the way to surprise me!" ranted an excited Manik, as he got up and engulfed her in a hug. My gaze followed their union & it looked like both were genuinely happy to see each other; for the first time I was seeing that fiend Soha smile warmly.

"Of course, I've met her a couple of times, but I was right, she'd damn annoying!" she complained sticking her tongue out like a kid. I furrowed my eyebrows in irritation & looked at Manik, who looked amused.

"How many drinks are you down, Soh?" Manik chidded her lovingly & she flipped her head trying to count her drinks on her fingers, before replying "One, two, three...many!"

"Okay, enough for tonight, why don't you go crash next to Roo, I will meet you both in the morning!" He affectionately held her steady & gently instructed Soha, as she bobbed her head, giggled a little & then turned to me & waved at me & hugged Manik once more before leaving. Manik sighed exasperatedly as he watched her go & shook his head before turning his attention back to me. I was watching their bond, sitting on the couch & although I could see nothing more than platonic friendship as Manik had told me earlier, something about the depth of their bond threatened me. I mean, standing their at Appa's living room, hugging Manik, the drunk form of Soha seemed to complete a picture, a perfect family. With Manik telling her to crash next to his daughter, promising to meet them in the morning - they were a family in every way a family was defined. I was suddenly feeling rootless and out of place. I asked myself would I ever fit into Manik's life the way Soha did? Was there any place for me here?

"Nandu, don't mind Soha, she's drunk, she didn't mean it. She doesn't find you annoying!" Manik's voice broke through my thoughts & suddenly him defending Soha was irritating me. I mean, I know, it was nothing. Soha was drunk & mean just being a little b*tchy, nothing I expected Manik to chide her for, but even then, him defending her stung. I knew while I was coming here, it wasn't going to be easy, but now I wasn't sure if I anticipated the correct degree of difficulty that lay ahead of me!

"Am I supposed to care if she finds me annoying?" I replied sounding more annoyed than I intended to let him know & I saw his head snap towards me sharply.

"Hey baby, I am apologizing on her behalf, I am sorry that..." he began quickly & I swear that wasn't helping either. What were they trying to shove on my face, that they were a happy family? Manik was going to apologize on her behalf, like they were one & I was the opponent here?

"Oh so it's you guys & me now? You know, maybe coming here was a bad.." I began in an overcritical voice cutting him short, but he didn't let me complete either.

"Shut up, Nandu" he barked and pulled me into another hug. "Don't say that. You coming here to surprise me is the second most special thing anyone has done for me; first being, you carving MaNan on that swing in LA" he mumbled and peppered a few quick kisses on my neck. This pacified me a little & I felt guilty for being unnecessarily rude to him; but trust Soha to rile me up so bad!

"I'm sorry too, Manik; for lashing Soha's anger out on you" I mumbled & he seemed to stiffen in the hug hearing that.

"You guys already fought?" he sounded surprised & I felt irked. Fight? Seriously? What were we, id*ots?

"Not fight, but we do have clashing opinions about your actions" I replied curtly, breaking the hug and moving back.

"My actions?" he asked, in a clueless voice.

"Well, I wasn't sure why you were so secretive about your whereabouts with me & what good reason you had for hiding from me that you and your mom have mended your differences; it's not like I'd stop you, you know? Soha on the other hand thought I was throwing a tantrum unnecessarily by asking these questions - so it's really you & your actions that led to our tiff Manik" I replied coldly, looking at him.

"Firstly, I wasn't hiding anything from you, Nandu; and secondly, Nyonica & I haven't mended anything. Also, as far as Soha is concerned..." but this time he couldn't finish his statement because we heard Appa, Cabir & Priyank's voice, as they were coming back inside. We both silently decided to stop & continue this discussion later & in private.

***

A knock on my bedroom door pulled me out of my thoughts back to the present; I figured I was still sitting on my bed, with my face buried in my palms. How long did I sit here ruminating? I looked at the door, as someone knocked again.

"Nandu, baby I can't sleep in my room knowing you are this close to me. Please let me in? If you don't want to come to my room, please let me lie down next to you here? I swear I won't disturb you, you take your space. Let me just hold you and sleep?" I heard Manik's whisper & it tugged at my heart. I know I still needed a lot of answers & maybe Manik & I had a long conversation due to, but I knew now that he wasn't acting cryptic to avoid me, in fact he wanted to be close to me, wasn't that enough to let him in? I slowly got up & opened the door to let him in.

Manik walked into my room in a tank tee and a pair of tracks; his eyes drank my vision like a long parched person, before he loosely held my wrist and walked me to the bed; Manik made me lay down on the bed and spooned me as his face snuggled in the cavern of my neck; he drew a long breath, like he was inhaling my scent and taking into every last cell in his body, then he quietly kissed my neck and wished me goodnight, before drifting off to a peaceful slumber. I lay there clasped in his body grip & stared at his long lashes; he was beautiful, he was ny peace & just like that all my worries vanished to nothingness & I dozed off soon after.

All was well in my life.

For now.

24 Warren Street, Palm Cove, Cairns, Australia circa 2019

(Manik's Living Room, Poolside Villa)

I woke up to the sound of Manik's laughter and a smile automatically spread upon my lips. This was the life I had always craved; to fall asleep at night in the arms of my beloved & wake up to his beautiful laughter. I pulled the blanket over & decided to lie on the bed a little longer, just to absorb the warm sun rays falling on my face, the mild tune of a wind chime from some other part of the house, the fun banter filled voice of Manik chatting away with Roo & of course the delicious smell of warm sweet croissants! Ayappa, am I in heaven, already?

"Noo Da-da, Roo wansh chockie'' I heard Roo's pleading voice, coming from the balcony attached to Manik's room, which was across mine. Aah, so Manik was feeding her breakfast! How mean, the two started without me? I pouted in silly annoyance & threw away my blanket to get out of bed & freshen up fast, so I could join in on the fun too!

After twenty minutes, I quickly came out of the washroom in a clean pair of shorts & tee, and after quickly hand brushing my hair into a make-shift bun, I ran into Manik's balcony. The sight that met me stole my heart and I couldn't help gushing over it, like I was watching my favorite scene of my favorite rom-com! Manik was on his yoga mat doing push ups, with Roo sitting cross legged on his back, munching on her breakfast.

"Da-da ten mole or I will not finish this" the little one pouted adorably as Manik rolled his eyes in exasperation & continued with his push ups to ensure his princess ate her breakfast right! I couldn't help but burst out laughing seeing the fall of the mighty Manik Malhotra from S.P.A.C.E. dancing to the tunes of this little girl! My laughter got them my attention & both the father daughter duo turned to look at me.

"Nandinninni!" yelped Roo as she hopped off from Manik's back and ran to me, leaving her plate full of breakfast on Manik's back! I laughed as I saw her run to me, as Manik adjusted at odd angles to retrieve Roo's plate from his back to stop it from falling & breaking! They were such an oddly adorable pair!

"Hey baby, when did you get here from your granddads?" I asked her, as Manik got up from the mat, adjusting his tee & walked towards me with a happy smile.

"Molning! Mommy dropped me & left fol work" Roo replied chirpily & held my finger and guided me to the table on one corner of the balcony where lay the full breakfast spread for us. I sat down and she hopped on my lap & tried grabbing the chocolate spread, which Manik stopped her from taking at the nick of time raising his eyebrows. "No chocolate spread for breakie, Roo! Those are the rules!" he reminded her, as she retreated her hand and fell back on me with a sad face. Manik, managed to stifle a smile & turned his attention to me.

"Good morning Nandini, did you sleep alright?" he asked with a small smile playing up his lips. I rolled my eyes at the drama, "Like you don't know, how I.." I tried saying, but Manik cut me short.

"How would I know, I was in my room, sleeping alone, missing my Roo, since she decided to stay with grandpa, remember?" he spoke clearly, motioning Roo with his eyes. I nodded. Oh so, Roo wasn't supposed to know that Manik and I stayed together? I mean, she was too young to make out any implications, right, then why were we hiding? Weird.

"Manik, you want some toast?" I asked casually, buttering some toast for myself.

"Da-da hates bread!" Roo spoke absentmindedly from my lap, still fiddling with her breakfast. I frowned, I didn't know Manik hated toast, he had been eating that for breakfast, throughout his stay with me in LA! I looked up at Manik, and he gave me an embarrassed smile, muttering, "I don't hate it, I just don't like it too much"

It felt strange to see how little I actually knew about him; these were the times when I felt insecure. I mean, the man stayed with me for months, yet I didn't know something as basic as this? Something that this little child also knew? Was I a bad partner?

"Don't overthink this, Nandu. I never mentioned it, how'd you know?" I heard Manik's whisper & looked up at him. My expression must have been quite evident. When I looked at Manik, even though he was talking to me, his eyes were on Roo, probably trying to ensure that she didn't understand what we were talking about? I mean I get it, we have to be careful about how we bring this before Roo, but I think we were literally walking on eggshells around her, and this was not possible for too long. I figured there were quite a few things Manik & I needed to talk about, and maybe this was time to broach it. That way, he'd send Roo away for a bit & we could actually talk freely.

"Manik, we need to talk" I whispered, looking at his eyes, motioning towards Roo silently. He understood & nodded before saying, "Yes, I spoke to Soha, she's wrapping up an early meeting she had; she will come here & take Roo for her ballet classes & then we can talk". I nodded. I wasn't looking forward to meeting Soha again in the morning, but if we needed some space, what choice did we have? I mean, I thought Roo was adorable, and I want to work it with her & develop our bond too, but Manik & I clearly needed to be a little stronger than what we were at this point, before I could focus on Roo & me; for now, her presence was causing me a little discomfort & I knew it in my heart that I couldn't tell this to Manik, without him misunderstanding me! Ayappa, please help me!

As we sat there quietly having breakfast, cautious of Roo's presence, talking about the weather, food, tourism in Cairns and a bunch of other useless things, I realized the mood in the morning had shifted. When I woke up, Manik & Roo were having a genuinely fun morning, but now, everything was a bit fake & calculated. Was this my doing? Was this how I was going to make Manik's life - awkward?

"Heya fam! Did ya miss me??" came Soha's shrill voice after another half an hour & I quickly turned around to see the neurotic Soha walking in wearing an off white business suit paired with a warm peach shirt, looking every bit like a supermodel, giving me complexes at a whole new level, as I awkwardly tried brushing off the bread crumbs from my shorts with my hand. I turned to look at Manik, whose eyes were on Soha, as he smiled his brightest since morning, seeing her.

"Mommy, yeshhh we did. Da-da even saved some waffles fol you!" shouted Roo in excitement as I looked around to glance at a small foiled plate kept on one corner of the table. I glanced at Manik, but he wasn't looking at me right now, he was engrossed in welcoming Soha, with wide arms & just like that, the awkwardness in the air was gone.

"Malhotra, I hope you saved me some honey too, you know I hate dry waffles!" she replied lightly, sitting between me & Manik.

"Of course, you think, I'd want waffles thrown at me, early in the morning?" Manik replied with a teasing laugh & extended the plate to her.

"Hey Nandini, did you enjoy the waffles, Manik makes great ones!" Soha spoke, addressing me, finally. Oh so they realized I was here too? Nice.

"Umm, nope. I didn't know he made waffles, I had toast." I replied quietly. I didn't turn to look at Manik this time, I felt this intense disappointment in my heart. I kept telling myself I was judging things too soon, maybe things would settle down if I gave it time, but my heart nagged back saying, would I always come after Roo & Soha in his life, priorities & affection?

I sat there for another five minutes for politeness & then excused myself & came back to the guest room. I loved Manik right, if that family of his gave him happiness, who was I to sit amidst them and deny it? What was I doing in Cairns anyway? I felt, my impulsive decision to visit him here was a bad move. I was sitting and wondering if I should cook up some work commitment & fly out in a day or two, when my door creaked open & I turned around to see Manik walking in with a small smile on his face. Even though he was smiling, I could see it didn't reach his eyes, was he upset? I looked closer to see he walked in with a plate in his hand. What was he carrying?

"Manik.." I began. I really wanted him to leave me alone for a bit. I realized, it was I who requested to have our 'talk' and now with Soha & Roo gone, he was complying to my wishes, but suddenly my appetite for the talk was gone. I just wanted to be alone for now & then leave for LA.

"Nandu, before you say anything, please open this?" he requested softly, as he placed what looked like a covered plate in front of me. I had to try very hard to not roll my eyes and mock him, because I knew for sure it was his hand made waffle. Now that his Soha had eaten, it must have occurred to him to get me some too? Thanks but no thanks. Although seeing his sad puppy face, I decided to give him one chance to surprise me; I undid the cover.

"Manik!" was all I could say, with what I saw.

Yes, he had gotten me his handmade waffles, alright, but there was something on it that reminded me of our happy days from S.P.A.C.E. - from the time it all started! The waffle had a lip design made with fresh strawberries on it, and below it it read 'xoxo' with fresh cream & just below it was a dollop of vanilla ice-cream with a huge solitaire engagement ring sitting on it, with a tiny signature with chocolate sauce in the bottom, that read, 'love always, Manik'

I gasped. I ran out of words. The strawberry lip & the 'xoxo' reminded me of our first date at Cafe Nero, where that sl*tty waiter had tried to seduce him, right before me, getting me all jealous! I giggled at the memory & then I looked at the addition of the ring & the signature & I couldn't help shed a tear feeling overwhelmed!

"Baby, I wanted to get this for you in bed, but Soha dropped Roo here early, even before you woke up & then of course, I couldn't get you this before everyone. I know you're hurt thinking, I didn't offer you my handmade waffles ba.." that was it, I didn't need to hear more. I grabbed his shoulder & pulled him close to me & captured his lips for a long & much much awaited kiss. I was dying to kiss him like this for months now, and no matter what all we had to discuss, I couldn't hold on any longer from kissing him! He was first taken aback & then responded like he was in a frenzy. His hand grabbed my back and he pulled me into him & stood up; as I clutched his waist my locking my legs around him. He bent down once to pick up something from the bed & walked out of the room with me clung on to him, while we were still kissing.

I realized he was taking me somewhere, but I didn't care; my eyes were shut & I was rapt in kissing the life out of him. I was sucking his lips with all my energy & my tongue did the work of teasing him so badly that moans escaped him & his clutch on my back went tighter. Suddenly I felt he crash landed with me on a soft four poster bed, with him on top of me, his lips now latched to my collarbones. "Manik" I hissed as he bit me there.

I slowly opened my eyes to see myself in his bedroom; he had brought me here, in our room, finally. I glanced around to properly look at the room, when my eyes landed on the bedside coffee table where I spotted two photo frames. One looked like it was taken on one of Roo's birthdays, it had Manik & a slightly younger Roo laughing from the frame, with both their faces smeared with cake; and the other photo, when my eyes fell on it, my heart stopped. It was a photo of me & Manik from the Christmas evening at Madison Park, New York, the night when we kissed for the first time! I even remembered us taking that photo, but what followed soon after, who'd imagine that little memory would survive this long & find a place on Manik's bedside table after so many years!

"I never deleted any photo of ours, Nandu; I know you must have though, thanks to the d*ck I was to you" he whispered, following my gaze.

"I love you, Manik" was all I could whisper back at that moment.

"I know, and I want you to know that I love you much more than you will ever realize, soon to be Mrs. Malhotra!" he whispered back & pulled back to sit up above me; then even before I realized, he took my left hand and inserted the ring he got for me this morning, on my ring finger & lightly kissed it.

"I'm not taking any more chances with us, Nandini Murthy. I want you. I want all of you, only for me" he whispered & kissed my knuckles. "When I proposed to you in LA, it was so abrupt that I wasn't prepared, but I had planned a grand proposal for you this time. After returning from Dubai, I was going to come to LA to surprise you with it, but then you came here surprising me & while you sent me to my room last night initially in disappointment, I had decided, I am not waiting for the perfect moment any longer, I'd seize whatever moment we had; I wasn't going to let you have a moment to rethink us, I can't afford to baby, I need you" he whispered & bent down to kiss me deeply again.

"Sh*t Manik Malhotra, we are officially engaged now" was all I could utter, as I pulled him closer to me & kissed him tighter!

24 Warren Street, Palm Cove, Cairns, Australia circa 2019

(Manik's Bedroom, Poolside Villa)

I was sitting on Manik's..erm..our bed and admiring my ring, as Manik took it upon himself to manually move all my stuff from his room to mine. I had initially expressed my concern of what we were going to tell Roo, but Manik replied back saying, we were to tell her that my room had some plumbing issue so we were 'adjusting' for a bit. I bit my tongue trying not to laugh; what if Roo pointed out there are many other rooms in the house, then why Manik was so generously sharing his room with me? I didn't show Manik this possibility, I wanted Roo's question to catch him off guard & then laugh at him!

"All done! Can't believe you came with so little luggage!" his voice brought me back to the present.

"You see, I am here for a short stay, I didn't move in permanently!" I replied back, with a smirk.

"Yet" he replied in return.

"Excuse me, I have a job in LA, I am settled there" I replied, faking a glare.

"But then.." he sounded genuinely perturbed.

"We can do a long distance marriage, can't we?" I continued teasing him.

"Are you absolutely not open to moving here?" he asked, a frown fast forming on his face.

"What if I'm not?" I asked softly. So far, I was only playing him, but somehow, this question was real. I mean, I knew it was impossible for Manik to shift to LA owing to Roo & her setup and somewhere deep down I knew, me moving was way easier, and when I said yes to Manik, I did so accepting I'd be moving, but in this moment I longed for a possibility. What if, I wasn't comfortable, what would Manik do, would he even try?

"Well then Nandu, I guess I will have to prep Roo from now on, look for child relocation therapists in LA, see how Soha & dad will work around visiting us; work wise, I can look at studio options at downtown LA, but we will need more time in that case.." he replied, thoughtfully. I smiled seeing him playing his options in his mind. I just wanted to hear this. I didn't need him to ruffle Roo in all ways possible to accommodate my wish, but I just wanted to see him consider. Manik didný even try convincing me once to leave LA, on the contrary he was immediately contemplating workarounds, that won my heart.

"We don't have to do all that, Manik. I will be happy to move in with you here; where Roo can have all her family & thrive" I replied softly & finally Manik looked at me, catching up with my thoughts. His face mirrored mine, it had a soft, happy glow.

"Nandu, now that we are talking, let's talk about Nyonica's wedding too?" he asked suddenly & I nodded. I wasn't holding anything against him anymore, seeing him around me from last night, but we needed to talk it out.

"Baby, Nyonica's wedding wasn't just her wedding, she was marrying AK's dad; both AK & I were involved in this & it was more complicated than her marrying someone random. I didn't want to just tell you she was getting married without telling you with whom, but I wondered if I had the right to tell you the whom part. It is AK's dad Nandu & I acknowledge you guys are close; I realized AK hadn't told you anything & I wanted to give him the chance to tell you about his dad. I didn't want you to know from me & feel hurt that he didn't share it with you. I thought AK was coming here with us for the reception anyway, he'd have settled down a bit by now, I'd ask him if he's okay with me telling you this, and then I was coming to LA to surprise you; I'd sit in front of you and tell you everything." he explained earnestly, hoping I'd understand and I did. I loved the fact that Manik was at least trying to respect my and Arya's bond, unlike all previous times & he deserved a pat on the back for that.

"Thank you Manik, for giving Arya the chance & space" I whispered & kissed him on the forehead, affectionately. He smiled in relief.

"Baby, by the way, how is Arya dealing with this?" I asked, suddenly worried about Arya, hearing about his issue. Now it all made sense, him behaving strangely with me & Aliya, being cryptic, everything. Now that I could add two and two, I was feeling worried for Arya!

"He is close to his dad, Nandu, did you know that?" Manik questioned, with a frown.

"Of course, Manik. I know that. His dad was my er..almost father-in-law you see!" I replied, rolling my eyes.

"Thanks for reminding" Manik replied grumpily!

"Point is Manik, if he is close with his dad, he'd be okay with his dad finding love & happiness, right, but the last we spoke he was very agitated & disturbed. I guess I now know why" I replied, thoughtfully.

"Nandu come on, his dad didn't just marry any woman, he married the mistress of evil herself, Nyonica! Any loving son would be worried!" replied Manik incredulously & I couldn't help laughing even in such a grave situation!

"Come on, Mrs. N is strange & very selfish, yes. I don't think she's evil" I tried reasoning with him.

"I am still gutted seeing how there is a borderline liking you both such starkly different people share; trust me it makes me want to puke" replied Manik dramatically & I laughed.

"Hey, but I am worried about Arya, you think he'd freak out seeing me at the reception?" I asked, sobering down.

"Honestly, as much as he is detesting owning up to this mess before you, once he sees you know, he'd be happy & relieved too. I think he'd be glad to have a known friendly face around" replied Manik thoughtfully.

"..and you'd be okay with me having his back & being there for him? As in you won't Hulk out on him like you did in S.P.A.C.E. right?" I asked, testily. Manik sighed hearing me.

"Nandu, now I know how much you love me, I am not insecure anymore. Aslo, I somewhere found AK helping me in understanding you too in LA, I guess I don't hate him as much anymore? Lastly, I know how much it sucks having Nyonica as a mom figure in your life, so honestly I feel pity for anyone getting on that boat!" Manik replied, after some time.

"I'm so proud of you, Manik soon to be hubby Malhotra!" I whispered, looking at him gently. He looked at me and smiled.

The world's most bizarre reception awaited us in the next couple of days where my current fiance & my soon-to-be father-in-law were going to be celebrating my ex would-have-been mother-in-law's wedding with my ex fiance's father! However, holding Manik's hand, I was happy amidst this chaos. A few questions still remained; like why did Manik attend Mrs. N's wedding & why was Appa stil so low about the wedding, but enough was said today, we needed some time of peace and love, the rest could wait for tomorrow!

***

A/N : So how was it? What does Roo Nandini equation look like?

Do you think Manik will go easy on Nandini or Soha?

Who's looking forward to Nandini AK renion?

What are you expecting for Nyonica's engagement?

Anyone wants more of Priyank-Cabir?

Do tell me your thoughts about this chapter, I'm eagerly waiting to read!

Next chapter to be published on 13th Feb (right before Valentines' ;P)

Love,

A.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

850K 63.1K 38
"He is a mystery. A mystery every guy wants to become And a mystery every girl wants to claim" _ How Bumping into Mr. Billionaire, changed her life...
3.6M 253K 151
#01 in fanfiction on 23/02/18 Nandini murthy:-) A girl full of life and fun, wants to be independent and stand on her own feet. Loves her family. Man...
1.1M 109K 65
****Can be read as a general fiction. If you want an arrange marriage tale with humor, emotions and love, hop in right away**** Love is supposed to b...
517K 24.2K 56
YAARIYAN SEASON-2 Charcters are something like this:- Nandini Murthy:- a sweet bubbly girl .. who cares for every one.. and is so beautifull that any...