A "Damsel" In Distress

By leviella_gy

ORV FANFIC [COMPLETED] Summary One time, Yoo Jonghyuk inevitably irritated and angered a deity in disguise. ... More

CHAPTER 01 : CURSED
CHAPTER 02 : PUNISHER
CHAPTER 03 : CAN'T GET 'HER' OUT OF HIS MIND
CHAPTER 04 : WORRIED YOO JONGHYUK
CHAPTER 05 : ARCHMAGE
CHAPTER 06 : JELLY YOO JONGHYUK
CHAPTER 07 : CONSTRICTIVE HEADBAND
CHAPTER 08 : ANNA CROFT
CHAPTER 10 : ACCEPTANCE
SIDE STORY : YOO JONGHYUK'S MEMORIES
SIDE STORY : SECRETIVE PLOTTER'S SCHEME

CHAPTER 09 : IT WAS YOU

991 51 3
By leviella_gy

CHAPTER 09 : IT WAS YOU

“...ja.”

“...”

“...im Dokja.”

“...”

“Kim Dokja!” Along with a smack, Punisher shouted directly to his ear. Kim Dokja was awakened from his imaginary world. He saw Punisher go back to her previous location after getting his eardrums hurt.

“Geez… You didn't need to yell.” Kim Dokja grunt as he rubbed his ear. Ever since he wore the Constrictive Headband, the symptoms of his curse didn't resurface for two weeks. However, he could only see the movements of the hand being slowed, not completely stopping at all. He could only sighed in dejection as he prepared himself once it struck 12. 

“You're too preoccupied to even hear me.”

Within those two weeks, the meet ups with Punisher continued. Punisher was also somewhat of a worrywart. Maybe because she saw him collapse twice. 

“Sorry, I just have something on my mind.” Kim Dokja excuses. “So… What are you saying again?” 

“I dislike that headband of yours.” Yoo Jonghyuk spat out.

“No, not that.” Kim Dokja retorted. He already heard those statements for the past two weeks, sometimes thrice in a day. This made Kim Dokja wonder why Punisher hated the Constrictive Headband, when Sun Wukong himself told Kim Dokja it suited him. 

“...Lately, I became interested in a certain topic.” Yoo Jonghyuk started. Because Kim Dokja didn't even bother to say something about the curse, Yoo Jonghyuk thought he should have initiated it in a roundabout way.

“Oh! When you said you were interested, I thought you became interested in someone.”

“Make that cheeky mouth of yours to stop speaking nonsense.”

Kim Dokja raised both his hands in surrender. He chuckled as he said. “Okay, okay. So what's next?”

Yoo Jonghyuk gave Kim Dokja his signature glare before he continued. “Do you believe in curses?”

“Why? You want to curse someone? Why don't you just spat out curses, I'm sure they'll become petrified with your sharp tongue—” 

Cracked! 

Kim Dokja behaved himself and shut his mouth when Yoo Jonghyuk split the chopstick in half with his bare hand. He felt like if he continued, it would be his bones who would end up cracking instead. Sweats formed on his forehead. “I, I promise, I'll stop now.”

Yoo Jonghyuk stared at Kim Dokja for a moment, observing if he would still act naughtily. Seeing how 'obedient' Kim Dokja had become, who was currently putting leaf cabbage on his mouth, Yoo Jonghyuk opened his mouth once again. “Your answer?”

Kim Dokja recalled the question Punisher threw earlier. He chewed the leaf cabbage before answering. “I do.” He also inwardly thought. ‘The best example is already in front of you.’

He thought Kim Dokja would lie or change the topic again, but he actually said yes. So Yoo Jonghyuk started whatever he planned to do. “Just think of this as a simulation.”

“Hm. Then?”

“Imagine you're a cursed person, how would you react?”

“I would be shocked of course.” Kim Dokja answered, then he saw Punisher move her hand to the hilt of her sword. He immediately changed his answer. “W-why are you like that? If I was cursed then I would really be shocked. After that I'll find a way to break it.”

Yoo Jonghyuk stopped his movements as if satisfied with his answer. He gave another scenario again. “What if you'd find the way, however you can't put it into practice. What would you do?” 

Yoo Jonghyuk also realized it. It was said he was the key to free Kim Dokja from the curse, yet when he recalled the days he's with Kim Dokja, he couldn't remember Kim Dokja doing something strange to him. And the fact that Secretive Plotter also told him the information, means the curse was still functioning. The biggest question in Yoo Jonghyuk's mind right now was ‘Why didn't he try to free himself, if the key was already beside him for 12 years? What he's thinking? What is he planning?’

He was silent for a moment. The question was like a knife stabbing an old wound. It feels to him that Punisher was interrogating him, like she knows Kim Dokja's circumstances. It was then Kim Dokja opened his mouth. “On the contrary, what if I already tried but nothing happened?” 

Kim Dokja's expression was incomprehensible when he said that. Yoo Jonghyuk was inwardly stupefied also. ‘Wait… Does that mean he already failed? But… when?’

“...Then, have you ever tried to ask anyone for help?”

“Well… it's not like asking help could change anythin—”

Bang! 

Kim Dokja was shocked to his wits when Punisher slammed the table. He started wondering why so suddenly? He was just 'obediently' answering her questions and doing a simulation, so what's wrong with it? 

“H-hey! Why are you so serious? We're just assuming things.”

‘So that horrible personality of yours was still on a run, huh? Selfishly burdening all the problems to the point disregarding our help.’ Yoo Jonghyuk angrily thought. He retracted his hand and a small crack could be seen on its previous position.

“Have I told you already?”

Kim Dokja eyebrow raised. He was on guard because of her sudden change of mood that he thought maybe she was on her periods. “What is it now?” 

“...That I dislike that headband.”

When he heard those words again, Kim Dokja made an I-already-had-enough-of-this face. It was then Yoo Jonghyuk childishly added. “Ugly squid.”

Kim Dokja showed a hurt expression.“Wowser. I'm so ashamed when it's directly coming from a great beauty like you.”

The atmosphere between the two lightens up again as they continue to exchange childish insults. Until the meeting time duration came to an end. 

*

It was morning when Kim Dokja woke up from his usual brief sleep.  It was already an achievement for him not to be sleep deprived, considering the time he spent with Punisher. He checked the date the moment he opened his eyes. 

July 31

Once he saw it, he left the bed and washed himself. Next, he put on his never dirtied classic white coat. He left the building and blended with the crowd.

He usually did this every morning. Kim Dokja explored the Industrial Complex hoping to find the person he's looking for. ‘That's if he was in the Industrial Complex.’

Kim Dokja follows his routine. He visited every market then came to the Etika Clock Store to greet Aileen and the rest. However, he did not expect that once he opened the door, a person familiar to him was already inside. It was a man wearing black coat with an imposing aura. His deep black eyes look at Kim Dokja. 

“Kim Dokja.” 

He didn't speak and just stared at Yoo Jonghyuk. It would be a lie if Kim Dokja said he hadn't missed him, and it wouldn't be a lie if Kim Dokja said he felt great to hear his voice again. “Yoo Jonghyuk… what are you doing here?”

“I'm the Master of this Industrial Complex.”

‘Oh, right… I forgot.’

“Kim Dokja-nim, you're done with your routine?” Aileen stepped in to ease the awkwardness forming. 

Kim Dokja nodded. “Yes. I just came here to greet you as usual.” He then looked at Yoo Jonghyuk as if wondering what he's doing here. Aileen saw that so she continued.

“Duke-nim came here to hear reports about the Industrial Complex.” She said something which was unusual to others except to Yoo Jonghyuk. He was always not around so Aileen wouldn't know where he was. That's why it was Yoo Jonghyuk who looked for Aileen instead. 

“Most of it must be about Punisher.” Kim Dokja commented which caught Yoo Jonghyuk's attention.

“That's right.” Aileen agreed. “I've heard you're close to her.” 

“You've just heard it just now?”

“Well, you didn't tell it to me even though you usually come here.”

“It's because you didn't ask.”

Yoo Jonghyuk on the sideline let out a fake cough. It was quite a strange feeling to hear two people he knew talking about Punisher– which was actually him. This also caught Kim Dokja and Aileen's attention.

“What about you Yoo Jonghyuk? Have you met Punisher already?” Kim Dokja asked since he was curious.

“... I didn't have time for that.” Yoo Jonghyuk just brushed off the topic. Kim Dokja made a face when he heard his answer.

“Too bad, I want to see you being slapped three times” Yoo Jonghyuk caught what Kim Dokja said even if he whispered it. 

“What did you just say?”

“I'm talking about shaming your beauty.” He said bluntly, not feeling scared. Kim Dokja was more frustrated whenever he remembered how Yoo Jonghyuk ignored him. So he released those pent up emotions through these childish acts. 

“I heard that Punisher was a great beauty, was that true?” Aileen butted in. “I still haven't met her because of my work.”

“Yes. Her beauty is close to this jerk if he was a woman.” When Kim Dokja finished saying that, he contemplated for a moment. ‘Now that I think about it… if you look carefully, there really is a resemblance.’

As Kim Dokja was studying Yoo Jonghyuk up and down, Aileen made a face of suddenly remembering something. “By the way, how was it?”

Kim Dokja made an expression of 'What do you mean?'

“The thing that you ordered from me, have you already given it to that person?”

“... Nope.” He shook his head dejectedly. 

Yoo Jonghyuk heard their conversation and stepped in. “What is it?”

“It's a secret.” Kim Dokja immediately said to only receive a petrifying gaze. ‘What is this sunfish bastard getting worked up for?’

Seeing Yoo Jonghyuk's scary face plus Kim Dokja's unyielding ambiance, Aileen decided to answer Yoo Jonghyuk that would satisfy the two. “Kim Dokja-nim made a requested to me and ordered it pair.” It was at this point Aileen added something and grinned. “It seems the other copy will be given to someone special.”

Hearing Aileen's explanation, Yoo Jonghyuk abruptly looked at Kim Dokja with indifferent expression. Kim Dokja also saw this and grumbled. “What is it now?”

Yoo Jonghyuk then shifted his gaze to Kim Dokja's forehead before opening his mouth. “Have I already told you this?”

“What?” Kim Dokja crossed his arms and faced the serious Yoo Jonghyuk. ‘What's up with this dude, all serious… Also, why does it feel like deja vu?’

As if it was reflexed or out of habit, Yoo Jonghyuk said. “I dislike that Constrictive Headband.”

When Kim Dokja heard him say that, Punisher's words and Yoo Jonghyuk's overlap. Still in a stupefied state, Kim Dokja heard Yoo Jonghyuk added. “It doesn't suit you, you look like an ugly squid.”

‘That's exactly the same as Punisher always told me!’ Kim Dokja inwardly cried out. However, he was still in denial. ‘Was it possible? I didn't recall him using a shape-shifting skill.’

“Kim Dokja-nim, Yoo Jonghyuk Duke-nim, I'll take my leave now. I still have some business to take care of.” Aileen said as she excuses her way out, which caused the two of them to be alone inside the store. 

Kim Dokja took this as an opportunity to test his suspicions. “Yoo Jonghyuk.” 

He didn't speak or replied. He just stared at Kim Dokja waiting for his next response. The latter opened his mouth. “Where have you been all this time?”

“Traveling.”

“Have you informed our companions?”

“Yes.”

“Then, can I join you on your trip?”

“No.”

The situation repeated for a minute with Kim Dokja throwing a bunch of questions, while Yoo Jonghyuk answered in monotonic. As he was being swayed by the atmosphere, it was then Kim Dokja put the bomb. 

“Do you remember the time I collapsed while fighting the thugs? Why did you help me again?” Kim Dokja imaginarily gulped as he waited for his answer. If Yoo Jonghyuk's answer was the same as what he thought, then his suspicion was right. 

“Just because.”

It was as if an egg was cracked open when he heard his answer. Even if Yoo Jonghyuk answered differently, as long as he explained why he'd help him back then, his suspicion would stay correct. Because…

“Eureka!” 

It was as if Yoo Jonghyuk was snapped to reality when Kim Dokja unexpectedly cried out in elation. He realized the mistake he made just now and cursed under his breath. ‘Damn it, I mistakenly thought I was in my Punisher form.’ 

Because Yoo Jonghyuk was also Punisher, and Punisher was always with Kim Dokja. He was confused for a moment, because he thought he was Punisher since Kim Dokja was with him. That's why he unconsciously answered him due to reflex. 

“I-it was you right?”

“I don't know what you're talking about.” Yoo Jonghyuk denied as he prepared his skill. 

“You don't need to deny it. Your words already confirmed my suspicion. Because it was only Punisher who helped at that time!” Kim Dokja confidently declared.

Simultaneously, Yoo Jonghyuk activated the [Red Phoenix Shunpo] and disappeared from Kim Dokja sight. He was literally caught off guard and let the guy escape from him again. 

“That damn jerk.” However, he was suddenly filled with shame as he remembered what he said to Punisher. 

‘Is this what Jang Hayoung felt when I did what Yoo Jonghyuk did to me?’ Kim Dokja thought he must properly apologize to her, now that he knows how it feels. 

That night, Punisher didn't show up for the first time. Then the next day, Kim Dokja couldn't find Yoo Jonghyuk. Even after the night came, Punisher was still nowhere to be seen. Until Yoo Jonghyuk and Punisher's face also did not appear the second day and third night. 

“That sunfish bastard is clearly messing with me.” Kim Dokja grumbled under his breath as he looked for him again today. He was already worn out as he busied himself searching for Yoo Jonghyuk earlier. ‘He was definitely Punisher. The fact that Punisher didn't come consecutively serves as proof.’

Meanwhile, somewhat closer to Kim Dokja's location. Yoo Jonghyuk was striding at the market to buy an ingredient for his meal later. 

It was really a fateful day as Kim Dokja noticed him, the same time he heard the kids beside him speak. 

“Come on guys, it's almost 6PM! The show is about to begin. We should hurry before it starts.”

‘Damn it. What great timing, huh?’ Yoo Jonghyuk inwardly thought as he used the skill [Red Phoenix Shupo] again. However, this time Kim Dokja was prepared and used the skill [Ways of the Wind] to match Yoo Jonghyuk's speed. 

Yoo Jonghyuk goes to an isolated place, while Kim Dokja was chasing after him. “Oi! Why do you keep running away whenever you see me?” Kim Dokja asked.

“Shut up and don't follow me.”

“No way. You always keep running away from me!”

“I wouldn't run if you weren't chasing me.”

“I wouldn't be chasing you if you weren't running.”

Yoo Jonghyuk was like a rat who was running away from the cat Kim Dokja. They ran for a long time until they entered a forest. 

Still running, Kim Dokja opened his mouth. “Hey, why didn't you tell me you were Punisher?”

“I'm not Punisher.” Yoo Jonghyuk stubbornly rejected it. Kim Dokja clucked his tongue.

“Don't deny it. Punisher didn't come to our meeting place continuously. What kind of a coincidence is it for her to disappear, after what I did to you?” 

Yoo Jonghyuk didn't speak and continued to increase his speed. It was also at this moment Yoo Jonghyuk abruptly stopped his tracks, which also unexpectedly caused him to roll on the ground. Kim Dokja saw that happened right in front of his eyes. “Wha– what the hell?”

Feeling confused, he sped up and stopped at the unmoving Yoo Jonghyuk. “Yoo Jonghyuk what are you doi–”

Suddenly, a blinding light wraps around Yoo Jonghyuk's body. Kim Dokja could also hear him cursing at the same time. Simultaneously, Kim Dokja directly saw Yoo Jonghyuk's transformation. He saw how his big structure changes to those figures he was familiar with. 

‘Ng?!’

“Dang! You were really her!” Kim Dokja cried out in astonishment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

151K 7.5K 39
Yuito Itsuki, a 19 year old student who is in love with Kim Dokja and likes Yoo Jonghyuk, is a die-hard fan of the novel and manhwa "Omniscient Reade...
23.1K 1.2K 10
Destruction. That was the first thing he saw the moment he saw after being attacked by a group who called themselves a 'Monarch' causing a mass genoc...
78.8K 3.8K 75
βœ… COMPLETED βœ… A story of two souls that were blessed or doomed to be together. A story of love, betrayal, pain, sadness, anger, hate, lies and illusi...
13.3K 837 11
α΄€ ΚŸα΄‡Ι’α΄‡Ι΄α΄…. Clopeh had always dreamed of something as noble as such. How foolish he was. He now knew. It wasn't his story that will be told tomorrow...