All Lust and War ✓

By venusorionv

~~~~~~~~~~ Amelia Bartley, the perfect student, math prodigy and everyone's wanna-bee. Her life was simple y... More

Author's note
Character aesthetics
Prologue
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter ten
Chapter eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter twenty-one
Chapter twenty-three
Chapter twenty-four
Chapter twenty-five
Chapter twenty-six
Chapter twenty-seven
Chapter twenty-eight
Chapter twenty-nine
Chapter thirty
Chapter thirty-one
Epilogue

Chapter twenty-two

403 9 0
By venusorionv

The moment I reached Nate's door with Luke beside me, I started to feel nervous. I had no reason not to trust Nathanial. He would be in just as much trouble with Luke if my brother found out.

I knocked twice and opened the door. Nate smiled at me but his face fell at the sight of my brother behind me. I mouthed "sorry" before dropping my bag on the table in front of his desk. Luke closed the door and crossed his arms over my chest as he stared between the both of us.

Nate sat down on the edge of his desk as he crossed his arms and his face was a clear indication he was confused.

"Luke?" He finally broke off the silence. I took out my water bottle after my mouth became dry from the anxiety.

"Are you sleeping with my sister?" I spat the beverage out of my mouth before I began choking on the water. Nate walked over to me and hit my back a few times to help me out.

"Thank you," he gave me a faint smile before he looked back at Luke.

"How dare you accuse me of such a thing?" Nate's tone was probably angrier than I've ever heard.

"I've seen the way you look at her. The first time you saw her at my house you watched her as she walked around the kitchen. You thought I didn't see the way you started shifting in your seat? Like I didn't see the way your eyes looked all over her body?" My heart sank to my stomach.

"Why didn't you say anything then? Why did you let me look at her pretty body? Huh?" My brother clenched his jaw as Nate took a few steps forward. "You act as if you're so damn protective but in reality, you're too scared to tell anyone shit? Who cares that I'm your boss. If I had my eyes on her you should've said something about it." I swear I was basically ready to run towards Luke to stop him from snapping.

"You should've had the decency to look away from her yourself, Nathan." Nate just shook his head.

"Listen, I'm flattered that you think she's warming my bed because it would be truly an honour, but I can assure you I have better things to do than fuck around with girls who are a full decade younger than me." As much as it stung, I knew he was more than fine about being with me. Maybe we both had massive doubts and this might be solely for fun, I know he wouldn't have started it if he wasn't somewhat sure.

"Nate, I swear to gods, if you're covering this up-"

"Luke stop it!" I finally lost it, gaining both of their attention. "Even if there might be some attraction on my end, nothing's happening. Seriously. Do you think I'd risk my career that way?"

"I'm flattered, by the way." I glanced at Nate just in time to see him wink at me. I looked away, trying to hide the butterflies that began to swirl in my stomach.

"I actually have a few questions on a problem so I'd like for you to leave," I said as I looked at Luke. He sighed.

"I'm sorry then. I might have overreacted." Nate scoffed.

"Yeah, might have."

"Nate!"

"Fine, how long will you be here?"

"No longer than fifteen, I think." Luke nodded before heading towards the door.

"I'll wait for you and I'll drive you back." I smiled.

"Thank you." He glanced at Nate.

"Sorry."

"It's fine. Just get your head out of your ass if you're coming up with such wild ideas." Luke smiled and opened the door before he walked out, leaving us alone.

"Fucking hell," I said under my breath.

"How-"

"He overheard Rose tell me that I was afraid of hurting him and I said yes. Luke asked who I was scared to hurt and then saw your name flash on my screen. Thank fuck he didn't decide to look through the messages." Nate sat down next to me and looked through the window. Even after everything, his presence near me made me feel very helpless.

"You need to tell him."

"No."

"Amelia-"

"You saw what happened." I took another sip of water. "Besides, this isn't some sort of long-term thing." I brought the bottle to my lips. I seg the bottle down and looked at Nate. He was already looking at me.

"Isn't?" He asked his brows slightly raised.

"You want to tell me that you were actually serious about asking me out?"

"I thought it was clear enough for you that you were my girlfriend." I swallowed hard.

My love

"I promise you, princess," he straightened up in the chair and leaned closer to me, "I'm not trying to play with you. And if you even dare to go out with another man, I'll show you just how much of a boyfriend I am to you." He wrapped his hand around the back of my neck before pulling my lips to his. I was caught by surprise but didn't resist him. I peeled myself off the chair and straddled his lap. His hands grabbed my ass as I wrapped my hands around his neck. His tongue devoured me in the roughest way possible but made me enjoy it. I pulled away from him and ran a hand through his hair.

"You know, I'm single until you ask me." He clenched his jaw as his eyes moved from my eyes to my mouth.

"I'm not the rose petal and candles kind of guy, so if you're-" I shook my head no.

"Ask me." He stayed silent. "Then you don't want me be-"

"No. I..." Maybe he's never done this. Maybe this was his very first time asking a girl to be his. Claiming was one thing but I had to be on board in order for this to work.

"Then say it when you're ready." He gripped my asscheeks harder.

"Be my girlfriend."

"Say please," I swear his eye rolls were making me aroused. How could a man be this gorgeous without doing basically anything? He sighed.

"Please?" I smiled before shaking my head no.

"Not convincing enough."

"Please be my girlfriend, Amelia Bartley." I threaded my hand in his hair.

"I-" The door opened so quickly that I practically jumped off his lap. Nate cleared his throat before I realized it had been Luke who barged in. His breathing was rapid.

"Dad's in the hospital."

"What?"

"Sorry that I interrupted but I think it's best if Amelia and I go."

"Which hospital?" Nate asked behind me.

"Toronto General."

"What's wrong with him?"

"Heart attack." I felt numb. "And he's not awake." It felt as if my heart had stopped. The one thing I've always feared was losing someone I loved. I took one step back before my eyelids became heavy and my head began to feel dizzy. I didn't even realize I fell before darkness took over.

————

Amelia took a step back just as I ran my hand through my hair in hopes of hiding any signs that it had been messed up.

"Amelia!" Nate screamed, making me glance in Mel's direction.

"Mel!" I stood up just in time to catch her in my arms. Her limb body felt so damn fragile in my arms. "Shit." I gently slapped her cheek a few times in hopes of her waking up but no luck. Luke ran over to me, both of us feeling quite helpless in this situation.

"I need to get to Toronto. She'd hate me if I'd leave her here." I looked up at Luke whose face was now fully pale. I didn't doubt the possibility of him throwing up his guts out any moment.

"Use my jet. I'll join you." He shook his head.

"You'd be doing more than enough." I looked back at the girl in my arms. No way was I leaving her alone. With her brother or not, I had to be around her to ensure she was safe. I haven't been this caring of anyone and it strangely freaked me out.

"I'd be more than happy to help out. Grab her things, I'll carry her to my car." I picked her up, letting her head rest against my chest and walked towards the door. "Grab my phone if you can." I opened the door with some difficulty and hurried to the door.

————

"Do you know when it happened?" I asked Luke about five minutes after we took off.

"My father?" I nodded as I brought the glass of scotch to my lips. My jet was smaller compared to Nico's but completely enough for my needs. Amelia was sleeping behind me while I sat across from Luke.

She had woken up once as I carried her to my car but she just looked at me, she curled up in my arms before falling asleep. The protective psychopath inside me wanted to sit right across her and watch her, make sure she was okay. Even better if I could hold her in my arms at the moment.

"Mom said he felt quite unwell these past few days but she didn't think it would end with him in the hospital and especially not in a damn coma."

"My father died due to heart failure. Almost seven years ago. But it all happened so much slower that I can't even begin to imagine the hell you're going through." He grabbed the scotch bottle off the table and took a big gulp. "Ease it." He didn't bother to acknowledge what I had said and just held the bottle in his hand as he took a few breaths.

"It's not the first time. Third to be exact." I listened carefully. "The first time it happened, Amelia was still in elementary school. She cried for days and I, to this day, remember that poor face." I didn't even let myself imagine that. "Second time wasn't as bad but it made her lose her shits right before her high school exams. It was almost five years ago and I'd hoped it wouldn't happen for a long while but here we are." I didn't even know what to say after that. I wasn't sure if he even wanted my worthless words. "You can stay with us. My mother will be staying at the hospital as far as I know and I'm sure she wouldn't mind." I gave him a faint smile.

"Sure. I'd appreciate it."

"Why?"

"What why?"

"Why did you help?" I smiled.

"You're a good friend of mine, Luke. And I'm not a coward."

"You have no idea how thankful I am, Nate. Especially for your company." I looked to the side where the window showed the darkened clouds. "If it wasn't for that position, I wouldn't have been able to help my parents or even give Mel the opportunity to study in New York." I smiled before bringing my eyes to him.

"I'm glad it helped." I can't say I understand what it must have felt like for him and for her to go through so many problems growing up. And I'm not sure I understand what it's like to live without knowing if I'll have money for my next meal. "You know, you really caught me by surprise with the accusation."

"Can you really blame me?" I nodded.

"I guess I can. I thought you knew me well enough." He gave me a nod before turning his head to the window.

"I knew you haven't gotten laid in a good amount of time. Besides, you were getting quite comfortable with her. I just..." he sighed. "And then there was the conversation between Amelia and Rose which caught me off guard and made me think of every possible explanation for their behaviour. I just panicked." He looked down at his lap.

"Am I that bad of a man to be a potential brother-in-law?" He let out a laugh and I mirrored the action, even though my laugh was anything but real.

"You're not the best man for my sister. That's all."

"Why? Just because I'm older?" He shook his head.

"I fear your past that haunts you. I don't want her in it."

But she already met the worst of them and actually liked them. Nico was the only ma she had to fear when it came to their family and she got along with him better than any girl his brother has ever brought back home.

Besides all of that, she saw a glimpse of my past and stayed with me. Made me ask her out.

Maybe I was wrong for her, but I was certain she was quintessential for me.

————

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 25.4K 61
In an instant his lips were on mine, and without even knowing how, I felt myself succumbing to him. I pulled away quickly, but both of his hands went...
1.6M 47.9K 46
"The way you behave...behave around me, with me it's highly inappropriate. I don't want you think I'll be your little assistant that you fuck on top...
630K 9.5K 55
"Bend over," he growls, the corner of his mouth turning upward. "No," I say lower lip quivering. I wanted to say yes, but what would that do to my sc...