A Different Halloween

By idnthavurneekps

How would things change if Lily had taken Harry for a health check up on the day of Halloween. If Harry made... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Author's Note
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66

Chapter 62

1.7K 61 5
By idnthavurneekps

-oOoOo-

Since his father had received a dementor's kiss for leading that attack, Draco dreaded the knock at the door that would signal the ministry coming to call. He was now head of the family, a family that appeared destined for infamy with destitution thrown in just to finish the Malfoy's off. Therefore it was with a great deal of trepidation that he opened their door, only to find the last person he expected to be standing there.

"Professor Black, what are you doing here?"

"Hello Draco, I would like to speak with your mother, if I may?"

Draco stood to the side to allow their guest to enter. As Sirius passed the boy, he felt compelled to say something. "I was sorry to hear about your father. He and I had never seen eye to eye, probably since we were about your age, but I would never wish that fate on anyone."

"Thank you professor, mother is through in the other room."

He found Cissi sitting straight up in her chair, ready to face whatever came through the door. She relaxed her posture slightly after spotting just who her guest was. "Sirius, to what do I owe the pleasure? I dearly hope you haven't come to gloat at my late husband's demise?"

Sirius gave her a weak smile. "Maybe once upon a time you would have been right with that thought Cissi, but not anymore. I have a wife and daughter who would be severely disappointed in me if I were to do something so crass as that, I never want to let them down. As I told Draco, Lucius and I never saw eye to eye on anything but I still wouldn't wish that fate on him. No, my visit here today concerns you and your son."

Sirius was invited to sit and politely turned down the offer of a drink before getting down to the real reason he'd made the journey. "It's no secret Draco hasn't settled in at Hogwarts, and I can't see this latest development helping that. With this in mind I have reconsidered my decision to fund his education." Sirius could see this almost had Cissi in tears so pushed on with his offer. "I think it would be beneficial to you both if Draco attended school elsewhere, and I'm prepared to fund it. Fees and any other expenses involved."

Cissi had to remind herself to breathe, she had thought for one awful moment there that Draco wouldn't be able to attend school at all. This offer could solve a lot of their problems but something was troubling her. "I don't mean to sound ungrateful Sirius, but why the change of heart?"

Sirius could hardly say that he didn't want the little shit anywhere near his family, next time Harry might do some permanent damage. He considered any extra expense involved in Draco changing school to be money well spent, the peace of mind alone would make it worth the extra gold involved. "Draco hasn't made any friends at Hogwarts, quite the opposite in fact. We both know children can be cruel and I fear the first argument that Draco finds himself involved in would escalate into spellfire the instant his father's fate was mentioned. As he's already on his last warning from McGonagall, I feel this is the best option for him."

Cissi's emotions had taken a real beating recently and this act of kindness saw her fighting back the tears. "Thank you Sirius, a fresh start would be the best thing for Draco. We'll look into our options at once and hope he can start elsewhere after the Christmas Holidays. I will ensure he knows how generous an offer this is and that I expect him to grasp it with both hands. You have my assurance his behaviour and academic performance will be closely monitored."

With phase one complete, Sirius now pushed on to the second reason he'd come calling today. "Cissi, I also have a job offer for you..."

"Sirius, you have done more than anyone to get us back on our feet but I won't accept more charity. Once I get Draco settled into his new school, I can then start looking for work."

"I think we need to be realistic here Cissi, with your prison record and Lucius' last escapade, you would struggle to get a job that wasn't serving food and drink in some of the seedier establishments along Knockturn Alley. The job I had lined up could certainly not be considered charity, you'll earn every Knut and do so using that keen mind I know you possess."

It was a deflated Cissi who used his own argument against him. "What you say is true Sirius, which is another reason to turn down your offer. I don't have any skills, Lucius would never stand back and allow his wife to work."

"You possess all the qualities we're looking for, this job could have been designed with you in mind."

She was now intrigued and urged Sirius to continue. "Our company is branching out to cover broadcasting sports, with other events already in the pipeline. You may have heard this?"

Cissi could only nod in exasperation, "Modesty doesn't suit you Sirius, the entire country knows that."

She reconised the twinkle in her cousin's eyes, this usually proceeded one of those stupid pranks of his. Cissi wasn't far wrong.

"What the entire country doesn't know is just who the person we intend to run the entire division is, his name is Daniel Granger and he's a muggle."

Even though Sirius had just guaranteed her son's education, Cissi couldn't keep the exasperation from showing in her reply. "That's a prank too far, even for you Sirius. Are you nuts?"

"I am in full control of my faculties and this is no ordinary muggle. Dan has been aware of our world for over a decade now, and his daughter will be the next Lady Potter. Harry is still my heir at the moment as Joy can't head the family. Dan Granger is already considered family but that's not why we appointed him, he also happens to be one of the smartest men I know."

"He may very well be smart but he can't possibly understand the complexities and idiosyncrasies of our society, even after a decade of contact. He's an outsider and will be treated as such by most of our society, you must know this?" Sirius now had that infuriating smirk going full blast.

"That's why I need you to be his assistant. You will be able to steer him away from making unnecessary foul ups and also be there in any situations that require magic used. I think you would have to agree Cissi, you possess the skills needed to meet the job description that I just outlined. The only reservation we have is whether you could or would work for a muggle?"

The once proud pureblood princess had to take a couple more calming breaths before answering. "I agreed with your earlier assessment of my job prospects. A short skirt and low top while serving rot gut whiskey and slops to grasping wizards in Diagon seemed to be in my immediate future. If you think I wouldn't prefer working with a muggle to that then my earlier assessment of you was spot on - you're nuts."

"Good, oh and a word of advice. Give the low tops and short skirts a miss, Emma Granger is not a woman you want angry at you."

She knew this was his idea of a bad joke but Cissi couldn't be anything but incredibly grateful to her cousin at the moment. Sirius had been there for her from the instant she'd stepped off the boat from Azkaban. Andi had told her it was purely down to his intervention that she got out of that hell hole early in the first place, her sister also went to great lengths explaining how Sirius was ensuring the Black name was once more one of the most respect in magical Britain. He'd chosen a route that was the exact opposite to that pursued by the Malfoy family, it wasn't too difficult to judge which was the more successful. His best friends included a werewolf and a muggle, yet both appeared set to succeed in a society that would once have shunned, if not outright despised them.

It also didn't escape her attention that Draco extolling the traditional Malfoy line in rhetoric was the main reason her son was sitting next door, and not currently inside Hogwarts with his peers. The mother would be having quite a few heart to heart talks with her son before he left for whatever school they chose for him. These thoughts were going through her head as she showed Sirius to the door. He may have departed but his visit had left something unexpected and precious behind, it was called hope.

-oOoOo-

After recording the latest quidditch match, Dan, Dudley, Luna, and of course Emma were joined by the rest of the Hogwarts contingent in the Potters' quarters after dinner. Dan had already told them all he was changing careers so the excitement levels were higher than usual. What was unusual was Remus calling for everyone's attention, apparently he had something important to say.

"As you all know, Mr Daniel Granger here has decided to join PMP as head of our newly created media division. We welcome you to the company Dan." This resulted in some good-natured cheering.

"Now our new mirror viewing systems should be commercially available by Easter so that's how long we have to iron any bugs out of our procedures. There has been a lot of speculation on what this system should be called, I'm pleased to say we have resolved the matter. Ladies and gentlemen, it will be known as the Dynamic And New Omnioculars Vision System."

This was James' cue, "That's a bit of a mouthful to put on an order form Moony?"

"I couldn't agree more Prancer, henceforth it shall be known and marketed as Danovision!"

This had everyone laughing until Padfoot revealed their logo. The two letter 'O's were clearly images of omnioculars lenses that actually reflected back at you while the lettering continually morphed from one colour to another. The name might be something of a family jest but the logo was very professional. The name Danovision though still had the power to have the six friends chuckling all the way back to the Slytherin dorm at the end of the evening.

Little had changed between Harry and Hermione since they officially became a couple, one difference though was they now said goodnight and good morning with a kiss. Neville led Dudley up to their dorm to give them a moment of privacy while Susan did the same with Luna.

Once again Dudley was greeted warmly by the rest of the Slytherin first years and he was glad of an opportunity to repay their continued hospitality. "Guys, thanks for having me here again. I was telling mum how welcome you had made me here and she came up with a suggestion. How would you guys like to spend a few days at Potter Manor over the Christmas Holidays?"

Harry entered just in time to catch the end of this offer. "Dud, that's a brilliant idea. You guys need to come, we will have such a great time. What about the girls though, I would hate for them to be left out?"

"Luna's asking them now..." Three mirrors all went off at once as the girls called from their dorm, minutes later it was confirmed that everyone would be writing home for permission first thing in the morning.

-oOoOo-

This was it, the big one!

Breakfast time inside a busy great hall on a Sunday morning, both twins felt that tingle of anticipation expected when waiting for a prank to unfold. They'd scaled their original idea back considerably as the complexities of the charms work involved soon got beyond what they were confident they could achieve. Instead of having the hall full of characters from the Star Wars film, they had reduced it to two. There was still a fair bit of charms work involved though and both had quickly realized they would never have coped with the original, more complex plan.

Not that this one wasn't demanding, it was easily the most complicated prank they'd attempted. Sneaking into the great hall last night allowed them to place charms on all the student benches, and staff chairs. The beauty of this prank though was that the charms were completely benign until someone sitting there ingested the twins' specifically designed potion, and what a potion. Again, easily the most complex they had ever produced and it was even gender specific. As much as the twins would have enjoyed seeing their head of house with a bun of hair either side of his head, they much preferred the thought of Professor James Potter transforming into a wookie.

As the first few people began to transform, the sound of laughter ringing out around the hall was music to their ears. George was in the process of toasting his twin with their tainted pumpkin juice, about to partake in their own prank when the first scream of agony halted his hand in mid journey. All eyes now swept around the hall to identify who was in that amount of pain, only for another scream to ring out.

Lily was well versed in spotting pranks unfolding, she immediately put down her as yet untouched tea and turned to ensure Emma did the same. The first scream though saw Emma's coffee go all over the table, dropping her cup as she dived to be at her husband's side while Dan convulsed in agony. Lily herself had barely reached Dan when the second scream created chills down her spine and sent a dagger through her heart, the screaming was coming from Dudley.

Fred and George could only stand and watch as the intended fun had quickly descended into a horror show. Both twins hoped their senses were playing tricks on them and this really wasn't happening, especially as two enraged Princess Leia's were now racing in their direction from the Slytherin table. The potion had copied the distinctive hairstyle while the charm had changed their clothes to that reconisable white smock. Where the lightsabers both Leia's were wielding came from was a complete mystery to them. They soon got a close look at said weapons when the blond and the brunette began whacking them both about the body, it stung like a bitch!

"How long before the effects wear off?"

Fred only needed one glance at the little blond to know that, had that been a genuine lightsaber, his life would have been over. She was clearly in no mood to be pissed about, he quickly and honestly answered her question. "It's only timed to last for breakfast, you should be back to normal in under an hour."

"Me! You think I give a shit about looking like this? Didn't you hear that screaming? Harry had to stun Dudley because he was in agony."

A Hermione/Leia who was equally as angry took over from Luna to question George. "Did it ever occur to you that we have three non magicals at breakfast this morning? What about little Joy Black, how does your potion affect toddlers?"

Luna was struggling to keep the tears at bay as she continued from where Hermione had left off. "Your potion forces our bodies to change but it's our magic that allows the change to take place. Neither Dudley nor Uncle Dan have magic. You two poisoned them with a potion that's still trying to change their bodies, I can't imagine how painful that must be."

All thoughts of breakfast were long forgotten about amongst the students amid the unfolding drama now taking place around the hall. The occupants were torn between watching the staff trying to help the two people suffering sever reactions to the prank and the confrontation taking place at the Gryffindor table. That all changed when the red furred wookie wearing a Gryffindor's prefect's badge decided he just had to have his say on the matter. This was now prime time soap opera.

"I agree the twins should never have pulled this stupid prank but they can hardly be blamed for these unintended and unforeseen consequences. After all, this school is for witches and wizards."

Hermione went very quiet and completely still at this, a sure sign to anyone who knew her of an impending explosion. They didn't have long to wait. "I'm really sickened that you feel that way Mr Weasley, that attitude disgusts me. My father and Dudley may not be magical but they spent yesterday recording a quidditch match so you could all sit here and watch it for free today. There only payment for doing so is to visit the castle and spend some time with their families."

Hermione spun round and pointed at the big screen, a bolt of energy left her hand and an almighty crash signaled the Hogwarts window on the wider world was no more. People around the screen's vicinity were ducking with their hands protecting their heads, expecting shards of broken mirror to be raining down on them, it never happened. The amount of energy Hermione had hit the big screen with ensured there wasn't a piece of mirror bigger than a grain of sand left.

"If they are not welcome in Hogwarts then neither is that, you don't deserve it..."

Hermione was cut off mid-rant by a shout from the other side of the hall. "Hermione, Luna, we're heading to the infirmary."

Harry's call had an instantaneous effect on both girls, they wheeled away from the Weasleys and raced to follow the group heading out the hall toward the infirmary.

A wrinkled version of Princess Leia was not something the twins wanted to see either, but that's who detached herself from this group and made her way over to the Gryffindors.

"Although Professor Potter is your head of house, since you just put his son and one of the professor's best friends in the infirmary, I will be dealing with your punishment in this matter."

Prefect Percy could see the distinct possibility of an injustice being done here, and he so wanted the girl who'd just made a fool of him pay, so spoke out. "I agree the twins should be punished for what they did here this morning but what about the punishment for those girls Headmistress, who will be handling that?"

That steely gaze sandwiched between two doughnuts of grey hair was even more off-putting than usual though it was McGonagall's tone of voice that indicated how angry she was here. "And just what did they do that broke the school rules Mr Weasley?"

"What? Surely those weapons of theirs must be against school rules? Why did they even have them in the great hall anyway?"

"Those weapons as you call them are aids to teach fencing, Professor Sirius Black tutors them every Sunday directly after breakfast. They use them because they are not as dangerous as real blades, delivering only a mild stinging hex when in contact with a body."

Both twins winced at the word 'mild' but neither was stupid enough to provoke McGonagall when she was in a mood like this. Percy though was not to be denied, the rules had been broken and he wanted those guilty to be dealt with. "What about casting spells out of class and destruction of school property?"

"Did anyone hear Miss Granger cast a spell, or see her use a wand? That appeared to me to be a case of accidental magic, brought on by her reaction to the potions attack on her father and the boy she considers a brother."

Percy couldn't bear the thought of those to girls getting off Scott free. "Surely destroying the screen deserves some form of punishment?"

"It might, but not from me or Hogwarts. That screen was not school property, it was here on loan from PMP. The very company that has just announced who is in charge of their new media division. That important post is held by Daniel Granger, Hermione's father and the muggle your twin brothers just poisoned."

Fred and George wished their elder brother would be quiet but they were now discovering another downside to their latest prank. The potion not only changed their victim's cosmetic appearance, but physical stature too. How do you tell a six foot ten wookie to shut up?

Whatever punishment McGonagall dreamed up, it couldn't be as bad as the poisonous stares shooting in their direction from the rest of the school at the loss of the big screen. It was easy to see they were going to be blamed for it. The way Percy was carrying on though, he appeared certain to be joining them at the head of the school's shit list. This was an amazing turnaround, leaving Ron as the most popular Weasley inside Hogwarts. Not that this was saying much though.

-oOoOo-

Harry stood beside his father inside the infirmary, he was deep in thought as he surveyed the scene in front of them. Dudley was unconscious with his mum and Luna sitting either side of his bed. In the bed right next to Dudley the same tableau was repeated with different players. Uncle Dan was the one unconscious with Hermione and Aunt Emma at his bedside.

The pranks effects had worn off the magical people effected which was a great relief. Susan had been struggling to contain an enraged wookie Neville from marching over to the Gryffindor table and ripping some Weasley limbs off. At one point Harry thought he was going to have to stun his best friend too. Neville watching Luna and Hermione set about the twins with their lightsabers was probably the only thing that stopped a stunning spell being necessary.

Harry's thoughts had reached a conclusion so it was time to air his views. "Dad, I think coming to Hogwarts was a mistake. Can we go back to school with Dudley?"

This jolted James out of his own thoughts. "What brought that on son, I thought you liked it here?"

"Since September we've had Dumbledore breaking into the castle looking for us, Dudley challenged to a duel, Hermione hospitalized after being hit with a dark curse and now Uncle Dan and Dudley are lying there unconscious. There are parts of Hogwarts I really like but standing here helpless while our family are in the infirmary is not one of them."

James knew he had to choose his words carefully here. If Harry decided he wanted to leave Hogwarts, it was a given that Hermione would go too. Luna would then certainly not want to come here next September and there was a very high probability that both Susan and Neville would follow their friends' lead, following them right out of Hogwarts. Looking again at what was in front of them, it wasn't hard to see how his son had reached that conclusion.

"If this was a deliberate attack on our family son, we would already be packing. For all the Weasley twins' faults, they are not bad guys. They shot for the stars without properly thinking through the consequences. Had it been you and me who drank that potion, instead of Dudley and Dan, we would all have had a great laugh about it. Had Joy drank tainted juice and Sirius been a wookie, I don't think any of us would have been able to stop his rampage."

"I know it wasn't deliberate dad but the results are just the same, first Hermione and now Dudley. It's as if we're being told we're not wanted here."

"It may seem like that at the moment son but stop and think of all the friends you've made since coming here, friends we hope can spend part of the holidays at the manor with us. Dumbledore would be an issue no matter where you went to school so your mother and I both think you and Neville are safer here. The Malfoy issue has been taken care of and you better believe the marauders will be having a talk with the Weasley twins. That is of course assuming Minerva leaves anything for us to talk to."

James then placed his arm around Harry's shoulders, pulling him close. "It isn't any easier for me standing here so I perfectly understand how you feel. How about this for a plan? If you still feel the same at summer then we'll have a family meting to decide what to do next. Dudley will be moving on to his new school then and, should you wish to join him, I would be ok with that. I think a year at Hogwarts will put us all in a better position to make that decision. Will you give it that long?"

"Okay dad, that's fair. If one of our family gets attacked again though..."

"We'll kick their arses through the nearest window on our way out the door."

Harry nodded at that before noticing Hermione matching his head motion.

She'd been listening to the conversation and agreed with Harry to give Hogwarts one more chance. Hermione also agreed wholeheartedly with Harry's earlier point, just because something wasn't intentional didn't lessen the pain suffered. Malfoy might not have meant to hit her with that curse but it still hurt worse than anything else in her life. Her dad and Dudley were going to be unconscious until at least lunchtime and would find any movement painful for the next few days.

Part of her so wanted to get the hell out of this castle and back to safe, dependable Crawley. They had made friends here though and that was the only reason she had for staying. Hermione consoled herself by silently promising that the next person to hurt a member of her family was going to be very, very sorry.

-oOoOo-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

60K 1.6K 16
by: DriftWood1965 Harry allows Ron to compete for him in the tournament. How does he fare? This is a Harry/Hermione story with SERIOUSLY Idiot!Ron Ba...
318K 9K 37
One day after Harry's return to the Dursleys home and he is a wreck. He has suffered another beating at the hand of his Uncle Vernon. But what both...
118K 3.4K 42
This is the story of how Voldemort and the tools he created to defy death were destroyed by Harry Potter and me while sitting in an empty Hogwarts cl...
1.5M 49.6K 66
In which the reader from our universe gets added to the UA staff chat For reasons the humor will be the same in both dimensions Dark Humor- Read at...