How to Stay Afloat

By Reeyu97

Fallon's sole ambition in life is to escape her miserable hometown once and for all. She dreams of driving aw... More

~D E S C R I P T I O N~
~P r o l o g u e~
~1: Where She Tries to Bribe a Man with a Cupcake~
~2: Where She's Definitely NOT Being a Stalker~
~3: Where He is Definitely Being Stalked~
~4: Where She Lets Him in on a Secret~
~6: Where She Sees His Abs~
~7: Where She Introduces Him to Spartacus~
~8: Where He has Company for Lunch~
~9: Where She's Invited to a Party~
~10: Where She Tries to Hide in the Bathroom~
~11: Where She Tells Him About Her Past~
~12: Where She Tells Everyone Her Brilliant Idea~
~13: Where She Takes Part in an Auction~
~14: Where She Lives a Little With Him~
~15: Where She Ends Up on the Beach~
~16: Where He Asks a 'Friend' For a Favor~
~17: Where She Gets a Reality Check~
~18: Where He Goes on a Date~
~19: Where She Goes for a Drive~
~20: Where She's Not His 'Friend'~
~21: Where She Defends Him~
~22: Archer's Story~
~23: Where She Learns About His Past~
~24: Where She Gets Him a Little Wet~
~25: Where He Finds a Place to Stay~
~26: Where She Gets a Roommate~
~27: Where He's Jealous~
~28: Where She Finally Gets Closure~
~29: Where She Cheers for Him~
~30: Where She Confesses~
~31: Where She Asks Him About the Future~
~32: Where She Has Her First Fight With Him~
~33: Where She Has an Unexpected Visitor~
~34: Where He Decides to Ask Her to Prom~
~35: Where She Decides to Ask Him to Prom~
~36: Where She Gets Him a Cookie~
~37: Where She Visits the Place She Came From~
~38: Where She Goes to Prom~
~39: Where She Confronts Her Past~
~40: Where She Gets an Offer~
~41: Where She Realizes That Some People Never Change~
~42: Where She Gets Caught in the Middle~
~43: Where He Can't Find Her~
~44: Where all He Feels is Hollowness~
~45: Where He Meets Her Brother~
~46: Where He Goes to See His Father~
~47: Where He Finally Accepts~
~48: Bittersweet Endings and Hopeful Beginnings~

~5: Where He Decides to Fix Her Car~

1.1K 64 7
By Reeyu97

CHAPTER 5:

Where He Decides to Fix Her Car

~~**~~

|Archer|

Were my ears playing tricks on me?

Had she really just said that she had dated Chase Michelson for two years?

I was pretty sure that my eyes were the size of saucers by now.

Her?

This tiny, freckled she-devil, with chaotic red hair and possibly the worst taste in clothes I'd ever seen had dated the most popular guy in school for two years.

"You?" I managed to sputter in shock and then I cringed at how insulting I had just sounded.

"I get it, Chase Michelson is considered a God in this school. Why would he date a loser like me right?" She responded flatly.

"Sorry, I didn't mean-" I started but she cut me off with a slight smile.

"I'm kidding, I honestly don't mind." She said nonchalantly but I still felt guilty.

"I didn't mean to insult you, what I meant was that you don't seem like his type?"

Fuck

I mentally slapped myself.

That didn't sound any better.

If anything I'd managed to sound more like an asshole than before.

Her melodic laugh took me off guard.

"It's okay, you didn't hurt my feelings and you're right I wasn't his type and he wasn't my type either."

Something about the tone of her voice made me want to ask her what she was talking about and if she was okay.

But I didn't.

For the first time since I'd met Fallon Chambers, her sunshine-like bright personality seemed to dim a little and I realized that I didn't like that.

I didn't like it one bit.

Just to appease her I found myself saying, "I'm intrigued, how do you plan on helping me win over Caroline?"

At once, her expression brightened and I found myself letting out a little sigh of relief.

"Look, I can't guarantee that she'll date you once we're done. I mean it is her choice in the end but I know the things girls find attractive about guys like Chase," She paused, "because I used to be one of those girls and I can give you tips and pointers on how to behave around Caroline that might get her to notice you." Her voice trailed off and she gave me a hopeful expression.

I could feel my heart thudding wildly in my chest.

This is insane.

Am I really considering this?

"Fallon?" An unfamiliar male voice suddenly caught my attention.

I watched as the color drained from Fallon's face.

My head snapped in the direction of the voice. Her reaction to the voice had my hands automatically curling into fists.

 I found myself staring at Chase Michelson.

"Fallon." He said again, his voice smooth, "Can we talk?"

"I-I'm actually late for class." Her voice sounded almost panicked when she answered him.

I found my lips turning down in an involuntary frown at the sudden shift in her body language. Suddenly, I was hyperaware of Chase's presence, and of the fact that Fallon was not comfortable around him.

She gave me one final forced smile before turning to walk away.

"It's important, it will only take a minute." Chase insisted as he used his body to block her way. His hand started reaching out to grab her bicep.

I noticed how her whole posture became rigid and before I even realized I was doing it, I found myself stepping in between the two of them.

He had more muscle on me but I was taller than him. 

For a moment we just glared at each other, then suddenly he got in my face, "The fuck is your problem?" he spat out.

Clearly, he was trying to intimidate me.

He didn't.

I held my ground, folding my arms over my chest as I continued to hold his gaze evenly. "She said she was late for class so move," I gave him a challenging look, "before I make you."

Chase's eyes narrowed, "I'd like to see you try asshole." His gaze turned to Fallon and on instinct I found myself stepping further in front of her so that she was completely shielded from his gaze.

For a moment he studied me and then he shook his head and his lips curled into a sardonic smirk, "Last time I checked you had a fucking tongue, Fallon, so how about you answer me yourself instead of letting your boy-toy over here do it for you."

I'd had enough.

This. Fucker. Is. Going. Down.

I tilted my head to the side. Pinning him with my gaze. "What makes you think you can speak to her like that?" I growled as I got ready to lunge at him.

A small tug on my sleeve caught my attention. I turned my head to look at Fallon. She gave me a look that told me that she knew exactly what I was thinking, she gave me a small shake of her head, her expression firm.

Before I had a chance to react Fallon was stepping in front of me, "You're right I do have a tongue and I'll tell you myself, I really don't want to talk to you, now get out of my way."

I watched as Chase's expression went from confused to completely baffled to almost lost as he registered Fallon's words. He clearly hadn't been told 'no' when he wanted something before. It was almost comical. I would have laughed in his face if I hadn't been so angry.

"Come on, I'll take you to class," I told Fallon, my eyes still throwing daggers at Chase.

She started walking away first and I gave Chase one last warning glare before I followed her.

She was unnervingly quiet as we walked.

"Are you okay?" I finally asked.

My voice seemed to snap her out of whatever trance she was in.

She gave me a shaky smile. "I'm fine. Thank you for what you did and I'm so sorry, for you know. . ." She swallowed, her gaze trained on the floor.

It made me angry to think that she felt the need to apologize for that asshole's actions.

"You have nothing to be sorry for," I told her firmly.

For a moment she didn't say anything but then she suddenly came to a halt making me do the same. Her eyes lifted to meet mine.

Her eyes were hazel with little flecks of gold in them.

"I've decided that I'm going to help you, even if you refuse to help me with my car, I'm still going to help you with Caroline." She said in a determined voice before she started walking again.

I was completely bewildered.

"Why?" I found myself asking as I quickened my pace to keep up with her.

She gave me a small smile, "because Caroline seems like a nice girl and Chase Michelson does not deserve her."

I was dumbfounded.

This girl. . .

She managed to take me completely off-guard with everything she said and did.

She stopped and motioned towards the classroom door we were standing in front of now, "This is me." She gave me a small wave, "See you later, Archer."

"Fallon, wait." I found myself calling out just as she was about to disappear into the classroom.

She tilted her head back to look at me and gave me an expectant look.

I could feel my heart thumping in my chest, the blood rushing in my ears.

"We have a deal." The words tumbled out of my mouth before I even had the chance to fully register them,

"I'll fix your car."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Luna By anya jayvyn

Teen Fiction

7.5M 328K 47
A bullied girl meets the popular new student. ***** "Still saying that you're perfectly okay?" Max whispers. I'm surprised to hear that his voice is...
57.1K 2.7K 84
***Currently being edited, also adding alot of juicy stuff*** When 18 year old Ashton, moves schools her senior year after her mother and fathers div...
9.6M 311K 70
Wattpad Creator! Happy and proud. HIM: Staying the night? Not my thing. Hearts and flowers? Boring. Falling in love? Not anytime soon. Settling down...
505K 11.2K 45
"Uhm.. Sir? Can I help you?" I mumble while staring at him. He breaks out into a huge grin, the kind of grin you see on little kids when they get th...