How to Stay Afloat

By Reeyu97

Fallon's sole ambition in life is to escape her miserable hometown once and for all. She dreams of driving aw... More

~D E S C R I P T I O N~
~P r o l o g u e~
~1: Where She Tries to Bribe a Man with a Cupcake~
~2: Where She's Definitely NOT Being a Stalker~
~3: Where He is Definitely Being Stalked~
~5: Where He Decides to Fix Her Car~
~6: Where She Sees His Abs~
~7: Where She Introduces Him to Spartacus~
~8: Where He has Company for Lunch~
~9: Where She's Invited to a Party~
~10: Where She Tries to Hide in the Bathroom~
~11: Where She Tells Him About Her Past~
~12: Where She Tells Everyone Her Brilliant Idea~
~13: Where She Takes Part in an Auction~
~14: Where She Lives a Little With Him~
~15: Where She Ends Up on the Beach~
~16: Where He Asks a 'Friend' For a Favor~
~17: Where She Gets a Reality Check~
~18: Where He Goes on a Date~
~19: Where She Goes for a Drive~
~20: Where She's Not His 'Friend'~
~21: Where She Defends Him~
~22: Archer's Story~
~23: Where She Learns About His Past~
~24: Where She Gets Him a Little Wet~
~25: Where He Finds a Place to Stay~
~26: Where She Gets a Roommate~
~27: Where He's Jealous~
~28: Where She Finally Gets Closure~
~29: Where She Cheers for Him~
~30: Where She Confesses~
~31: Where She Asks Him About the Future~
~32: Where She Has Her First Fight With Him~
~33: Where She Has an Unexpected Visitor~
~34: Where He Decides to Ask Her to Prom~
~35: Where She Decides to Ask Him to Prom~
~36: Where She Gets Him a Cookie~
~37: Where She Visits the Place She Came From~
~38: Where She Goes to Prom~
~39: Where She Confronts Her Past~
~40: Where She Gets an Offer~
~41: Where She Realizes That Some People Never Change~
~42: Where She Gets Caught in the Middle~
~43: Where He Can't Find Her~
~44: Where all He Feels is Hollowness~
~45: Where He Meets Her Brother~
~46: Where He Goes to See His Father~
~47: Where He Finally Accepts~
~48: Bittersweet Endings and Hopeful Beginnings~

~4: Where She Lets Him in on a Secret~

1.2K 65 8
By Reeyu97

CHAPTER 4:

Where She Lets Him in on a Secret

~~**~~

|Fallon|

"So, how'd it go with that dude you've been stalking?" Peyton asked as she took a sip of her chocolate shake.

"I'm not stalking him!" I snap before I let out a sigh. "And it's not going so great. He still refuses to help me."

We were at 'Antonio's Sweet Haven' a chic dessert café I'd been working part-time at for the past six months.

Peyton studied me for a while. "You know, you could-" she started but I cut her off before she even got a chance to finish that sentence.

"Absolutely not Peyton."

She scoffed. "You didn't even hear what I had to say!"

"I'm not taking money from you," I told her pointedly.

"I could lend it to you." She tried again.

Peyton was a friend in the truest sense. I knew that she would give me all of her savings in a heartbeat and not ask for anything in return if I asked her to.

"You've been saving up for college for years. I know how hard you've worked for it, that money is countless days of pizza deliveries and night shifts at gas stations. I can't possibly take it from you." I told her gently.

I knew her life wasn't easy, her dad had passed away when she was a baby and her mother was a housekeeper. She lived with her mother and younger sister in a small two-bedroom apartment. I knew how badly Peyton wanted to turn their life around. She dreamed of going to college and becoming an aeronautical engineer.

She opened her mouth, trying to argue again but I made a show of looking at my wristwatch and letting out an exaggerated sigh.

"Oh, look at that, my break is over." I stood up and blew her a kiss.

The truth was, I still had fifteen minutes till my break ended but I didn't want to argue with her over this again.

She gave me a look that said 'I know exactly what you're doing but she gave me a little wave. "See you later Fal." Before she turned to leave.

"You know I love you, right?" I called out.

She turned around and gave me a wink. "Not as much as I love you."

I laughed as I went back to put my apron on and pick up the small notebook I used to take orders.

"Hey, Fallon." My manager Sofia called out. "Diane called in sick today, would you be a darling and cover her tables for today?"

"Sure," I answered, giving her a bright smile.

"Great. Customers are waiting at table six, take their order first."

I gave her a nod before heading towards the table she mentioned.

I recognized the two girls immediately. Caroline Williams and Bianca Harris from school. They were so engrossed in their conversation that they didn't hear me approach.

I was suddenly reminded of the last time I'd run into Caroline, I had been with Archer at that time. His reaction to Caroline's sweet greeting had been interesting, to say the least. I smiled when I recalled how the tips of his ears had turned red and how his body language had suddenly changed from cold and closed-off to almost shy. It had been endearing to witness. It seemed like Archer Hastings was harboring a huge crush on Avalon High's golden girl/head cheerleader.

A name in the girls' conversation suddenly caught my attention. My heartbeat picked up.

They still hadn't noticed me standing a few feet away. I felt guilty for eavesdropping but curiosity got the better of me.

"So I did some digging and by that I mean I stalked his Instagram profile, he was visiting his mom in Australia, which is why he's been AWOL for the past few weeks." Bianca spoke animatedly, "But it's official, Chase Michelson is coming back to school tomorrow!"

I swallowed nervously.

I had no idea he'd be back this soon

The girls continued to talk completely oblivious to my presence.

"We need to think up a strategy to get Chase to notice you." Bianca was saying.

Caroline sighed in response. "We've been in the same high school since freshman year and he hasn't noticed me, what makes you think that's going to change now?"

Bianca waved her hand dismissively, "That was because he had a girlfriend! He's single now." She gave her friend a pointed look. "And girl, have you seen yourself, any hot-blooded straight guy would have to be insane not to be into you."

Couldn't really disagree there.

Caroline groaned, "But that's the problem, Chase Michelson isn't just any guy. He's the hottest, most badass guy in our entire town. He has tattoos and rides a motorcycle to school for fuck's sake."

Bianca rolled her eyes. "You've always been weirdly obsessed with badboys, when we were kids it was Prince Zuko from Avatar then it was Patrick Verona from 10 Things I Hate About You, and now it's Chase."

Caroline shrugged. "You caught me there, badboys are my ultimate weakness."

Her eyes wandered in my direction and she finally seemed to notice me, she looked a little startled but I schooled my expression to look completely neutral and friendly.

Finally, she smiled at me, "Oh, hi Fallon! I didn't know you worked here. I'm sorry I didn't see you, have you been waiting long?"

I shook my head. "No, I haven't. I'll take your order if you're ready." I told them brightly.

I took their orders and headed back to the counter, my head still reeling.

So,

Caroline wanted Chase.

Archer wanted Caroline.

And I wanted to get my car fixed.

My jumbled thoughts started to piece themselves together one by one.

Slowly, a plan started to take shape in my head.

I smiled.

Maybe I could solve everyone's problems.

~~**~~

I waited for Archer outside the boy's washroom.

It was official, I had turned into a full-blown stalker but before I had a chance to die with embarrassment I caught sight of Archer's familiar frame exiting the washroom. I hurried to catch up with his retreating back.

"Hi, Archer, what's up?" I said cheerfully.

He gave me a withering look before he picked up his pace and started walking even faster, trying to get away from me.

I couldn't even blame him at this point.

I started jogging to match my pace with his. "So, remember when I asked you if there was anything I could do for you in return for you fixing my can and you told me there wasn't?"

He just grunted in response as he shoved his hands into the pockets of his hoodie.

"What if I told you that I figured out a way to help you?" I was panting at this point.

"No thanks. Not interested." He said curtly.

I stopped jogging.

"Not even if it means you have a chance with Caroline Williams?"

He stopped in his tracks.

"What the fuck?" He demanded.

I cringed.

Maybe I hadn't worded that in the best way possible.

I swallowed. "I think I can help you win over Caroline. You like her right?"

His whole body turned rigid, "That's none of your fucking business."

I raised my hands in surrender.

For a moment he didn't say anything but then his eyes narrowed. "And what makes you think that you can help me?"

I took a deep breath. "Because I know everything there is about the kind of guy she's into."

He let out a cold laugh. "I seriously doubt that." He paused, his expression almost mocking, "But please do tell me how you know so much about the guy Caroline likes."

I took a deep breath.

And then I told Archer Hastings something I hadn't told a single soul before.

"Because I dated Chase Michelson for two years."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Luna By anya jayvyn

Teen Fiction

7.5M 328K 47
A bullied girl meets the popular new student. ***** "Still saying that you're perfectly okay?" Max whispers. I'm surprised to hear that his voice is...
6.8K 132 26
Kendall has always lived a quiet life in a small town in Illinois with her family, friends, and boyfriend Jordan. Her life had been mostly happy othe...
280 11 9
Evie was a wild child. She was at (almost) every party, did every dare, and lived the way she wanted to. All so she could pour it into writing. She w...
72K 1.6K 24
"When did I become your girl?" I asked after staring out at the fair for a whole minute while the Ferris wheel slowly took us to the top. I turned to...