-ˋˏ partners in crime ˎˊ- ‏...

By lucyluhvs

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ summary: Katie Mahone is a ball of energy and a people person. She is always on the mo... More

INTRO
PLAYLIST
PROLOGUE
I.
II.
III.
IV.
V.
VI.
VII.
VIII.
IX.
XI.
XII.
XIII.
XIV.
XV.
XVI.
XVII.
XVIII.
XIX.
XX.
XXI.
XXII.
XXIII.
XXIV.
XXV.
XXVI.
XXVII.
XXVIII.
XXIX.
XXX.
XXXI.

X.

1.8K 96 207
By lucyluhvs

___________________

___________________

KATIE'S POV

October weather is my favorite weather. It's not too cold and it's not too hot, and the world is a lot more colorful despite people always saying dead leaves aren't pretty.

From an artist standpoint, I think it's beautiful. Nature isn't something you see in Gotham a lot other than small flowers or weeds that somehow manage to grow through the concrete of Gotham or the trees the city has planted to make it seem greener than it is.

That and when Poison Ivy attacks, though I don't really credit that to nature. And if you see that, run the other way, don't try to take pictures... learned that the hard way.

Anyways, October is my favorite. It is also my birthday month so I might be biased.

Still, I find myself staring out of the window during lunch, causing Tim to bump my knee with his.

I turn my attention to him as he asks, "You okay?"

"Yeah, I just like fall weather," I say but rub my eyes tiredly, causing him to raise an eyebrow at me.

Despite it being Monday and "you should be well rested from the weekend" (quote Mrs. Miller), I'm still tired.

On Friday, Tim and I went to the manor to watch Star Wars and ended up sleeping through half of the first one and all of the others. Or maybe we didn't, I don't know for sure because when we both woke up, it was late and the TV was turned off.

I vaguely remember Alfred trying to wake us up and me protesting, and I know that was real because when I woke up Tim and I were still together, our limbs intertwined and his head was resting on mine while my head was on his chest.

I managed to wake up enough to realize I needed to get home, and shook Tim awake.

He didn't want to at first, his grip tightening around me before he realized what was happening and he unwrapped his arm around me, muttering an apology as his cheeks started to burn even in his dazed state. He ran his hands through his hair multiple times, rambling on about how he didn't want to make me uncomfortable.

I assured him everything was fine and that it happens and we were really tired and cold before I stood up to leave.

He had checked his phone with a frown before texting someone back, making me curious but I didn't ask and told him I should get home soon.

He ended up having Alfred take me home while he had to rush off somewhere, causing me to feel like maybe the situation had made him feel more awkward than he let on.

Alfred just asked if I had a nice nap when I got in the car, to which I said yes.

And it was true, it was an amazing nap and one I haven't been able to have since. It's almost ironic how he thought he made me uncomfortable when it was the exact opposite.

Now we both seem to have recovered, though I could tell we were both a little hesitant this morning when we saw each other.

"Are you sure?" Tim asks again, his gaze falling over me, studying me in a way he does when he is trying to figure something out.

"I'm sure," I smile, "Just a little stressed with everything."

Not a lie. Our first Soccer game is this Thursday and I am really nervous about it, and while Jack insists that he has it under control, I can't help but worry about the Café.

Derek and I are two of seven people who work at the Café, counting Jack. Kyle, Genevieve, David, and Esmeralda are the other workers. The rule is, at least two of us have to be working.

I've obviously broken this rule, but it's because I didn't have a choice. Everyone else was either sick or had personal matters to attend to.

That was this week for me. This was my personal week. Because I also had my first French exam two weeks ago and I bombed it. This week is my chance to improve my grade with my next exam.

"Do you need any help?" Tim asks, trying to find a way to help.

"Unless you are willing to do something to the opposing team on Wednesday to make them lose, fluent in French, want to do all of the homework, or want to spy on the Café for me, then no." I rush out, my head hurting just from everything I have to think about worrying about.

"I can," Tim says, causing me to raise an eyebrow.

"You are going to do something to the opposing team?"

"What? No!" Tim laughs nervously, "I mean I can speak French."

I blink at him for a moment before I say, "Prove it."

Tim raises an eyebrow at me but says, "Je prouve que je peux parler français." (I am proving I can speak French.)

I think for a moment before I grin, "I can't understand that, but good enough for me." I shrug, "You could have just made all of that up and I wouldn't know the wiser, so we've got our work cut out for us."

Tim shakes his head while laughing before he says, "Nous faisons." (We do.)

I frown, "Okay, I'm impressed, but I still can't understand."

"Ne t'inquiète pas. Nous allons corriger cela," He states matter-of-factly. (Don't worry. We will fix that.)

"Tim," I pout, complaining slightly.

"Sorry."

_____________

"Red!" I grin, as he lands next to me.

I haven't seen him since Thursday night. I waited up to see if he would visit, but he didn't. Maybe he was tired too. Or busy.

He raises an eyebrow at my excitement, "Someone's happy to see me," He smirks, his voice full of cockiness.

I roll my eyes before I say, "Look!"

I don't give him a chance to even move before I thrust my art project into his gloved hands.

"I got an A! The highest grade actually. And I know Miss Bailey-that's my teacher-I know she loves me but I wasn't expecting her to love it that much." I stop talking, running out of breath because I was talking too fast.

He goes quiet as he stares down at the paper, and my stomach tightens in worry.

Maybe he would like it, maybe it was stupid.

"I..." He stops, looking closer at the drawing. "This is so detailed and it's accurate... This is amazing. This is my favorite drawing, Katie," Red Robin says, looking up at me before he looks down again. "Can I make a copy to show the others? I think they will love it."

My heart skips a beat, "What?"

Red Robin looks up at me and smiles, "Can I make a copy?"

"I- yes... wait, the others know about me?" I ask confused.

He tenses at that before he shakes his head, "No, talking with civilians isn't exactly within the rules, but I could say someone stopped to give it to me."

I nod in understanding, looking down at the picture.

It was the Batclan in a coffee shop, smiling and sipping coffee.

"I got the idea after I ran into you and Nightwing. I had to look up everyone's costumes a little, but..." He hands the drawing back to me.

I even added in the Spoiler who was a newer addition to the group.

Batman was talking with Red Hood, Catgirl and Nightwing were in the corner smiling at each other, Red Robin and Spoiler were sitting next to Robin who looked annoyed while Spoiler laughed and Red Robin smirked at him. Batgirl was sipping coffee, seemingly judging everyone.

"This is awesome, Katie," He says again, causing me to smile so much I think my face may split, excitement running through my body again. I bounce back on my heels and laugh.

Without thinking, I wrap my arms around his neck, pulling him into a hug. He pauses for a moment before he wraps his arms around my back. Even though I know he fights bad guys every night, I'm still surprised by how strong his arms are, and his chest.

We stay like that for a few moments before I pull away, my smile still in place.

Until I realize how close our faces are and it falters slightly. I'm suddenly hyperaware that his arms are still around me, and that thought makes my stomach feel queasy for some reason.

He seems to realize too, but I can't read his expression under that cowl.

I am short, and only reach to his nose, but with me looking up at him, and him looking down at me, I don't feel like there is much distance.

If either one of us just moved even an inch, our noses would be brushing.

His hands move to my sides, and I wonder if he can see my face getting hot with the lack of light around us.

A few more heartbeats go by before his eyebrows draw together under his cowl, and he looks away, dropping his hands. He takes a few steps back, giving me the space to snap out of whatever just happened.

"I... I've got to go. I've got a mission," He clears his throat before he says, "I can get the picture from you later if you-"

"You can take it," I say without thinking.

Red smirks shaking his head, "I will just take a picture of it. No need to take the original away from you."

I hand him the drawing, his taking a few pictures and scanning it before he taps something on his glove and a hologram of my picture shows up.

"What the heck, that's so cool," I exclaim before I clear my throat, "I mean... is that it? don't have a way to print it."

He shakes his head at me, his cocky smirk still in place before he says, "Bye, Katie."

I watch as he jumps off the roof the same way he always does before I take a deep breath.

Maybe my nervous system is shocked from too little sleep. I've got to go rest if that's the case.

Without another thought, I go back inside.

Just when I lay down on my bed, ready to go to sleep, my phone lights up with a text from Tim.

timbo 😎: Hey! Are you still good to go to the Wayne Enterprise thing with Hazel?

I smile at my screen.

Coffee Dealer 👩‍💻: of course, wouldn't miss it, timmy !! I do request coffee after, or milkshakes. we have to share the greatness with your rag-tag family.

timbo 😎: It's a deal... just have to make sure Damian doesn't sit by anyone he doesn't like... Which limits our options.

Coffee Dealer 👩‍💻: bold of you to assume he doesn't love me. I think he is warming up to me.

timbo 😎: That thought terrifies me.

Coffee Dealer 👩‍💻: you are just going to have to deal with it 🤗

timbo 😎: Maybe. Also, when do you want to learn French?

Coffee Dealer 👩‍💻: soon, I'm really bad. maybe after your ceremony. are you like worker of the month?

timbo 😎: Something like that. You will find out tomorrow. I've got to go, but I'm glad you are coming. See you tomorrow.

Coffee Dealer 👩‍💻: I should get to bed too. night timmy, see you tomorrow ;)

timbo 😎: Night, Katie :)

I shut off my phone and plug it in before I stand up and change into my pajamas. When I finish my night routine, I crawl under my covers and double-check my five alarms to wake me up before I set my phone down again.

My mind wanders to Tim, his kind and reassuring smile, before I look to my sketch pad on the nightstand.

I didn't take it out tonight, and I didn't really want Red to see it and question something that wasn't really anything.

Tim smiles back at me on the paper, a sketch I started on Friday after he made me feel better when Mrs. Miller got onto me.

I haven't finished, but there is enough on the page to know it's Tim. At least for me.

I add a few more details, his hair falling over his face a bit, his eyes being soft and welcoming, before I flip the pad over and put it on my nightstand.

I turn over and close my eyes, pushing thoughts of today out of my head as I do so. Before long, I'm lost to sleep, my mind shutting off completely as my exhaustion sets in.

________________________________

A/N:

ekkkkk they had a momenttttt
____

that moment begs the question: if they do kiss, will it be katie kissing tim or katie kissing red robin?
do you think katie might realize soon who they both really are?
or do you think she isn't going to figure it out?

_____________
thanks for reading, don't forget to vote & comment !!

xoxo, author

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.1K 819 19
Damian and Marinette grew up together but after an unfortunate turn of events, Marinette's parents had passed away on a mission. Talia then betrothe...
27.7K 805 16
"Damian has been missing for over two month now and we are no closer at finding him." Tim ranted as he passed back and forth. "Hello Beloved." Talia...
84.7K 2.2K 47
"I know who you are" I whisper and he freezes. I could hear a soft but nervous chuckle come from his lips. "No you don't." he says ... He spun a...
17.4K 320 83
Welcome! This book is a little different to my other ones, this is indeed ONLY preferences- no one shots. Requests are CLOSED! WARNING: Potential sp...