Odd Future

By SugarxCyanide

Alice died alone, thinking she had no purpose in the modern world. When she is reincarnated in Erdrea, she le... More

Tomorrow Never Knows
Memories That Cut Deepest
Resolve

A Call to Adventure

50 1 41
By SugarxCyanide

A cool mid-summer shower gently poured down over Laguna di Gondolia and woke me from a brief nap as it quietly pelted against the tarp over my narrow tent. It was about time; I waited for what felt like days, camped out in the region on a grassy ledge near the coast southeast of Gondolia. My sole reason for doing so was because the beast that I was hunting only came out when it rained. I learned in my time studying the base creatures of Erdrea that some monsters were particular like that; time of day and the weather were factors in their spawn rate. Shame. Alice and I liked to sleep through the rain; it was extremely soothing.

Perhaps later.

I sat up in a hunch and peered out beyond the lip of the tent at the murky ocean as dawn crept out over the horizon; the vibrant hues warmed my heart. It was gorgeous, but I had no time to admire it. Time was of the essence. Gathering my gear, I woke Tempest from his nap; he snuck out without permission from Gianni, but honestly the old coot needed to run his own shop for a change.

"Wake up, sunshine. It's time," I declared.

Tempest opened his eyes and squeaked out a yawn. He was adorable. The entire hunt would have been a bore without him. Taking him in my arms, his warm gooey body relaxed as he tried to wake up. I knew the pain; I too was barely awake.

Sliding my hood over my head, I exited the tent. The cool moist air brought goosebumps to my arms, but I ignored it as I took down my tent and cleaned the campsite for the next traveler. Gianni told me that monsters did not venture close to certain areas used as campsites. I often wondered if it had anything to do with the statue that sat near them; an angel that emitted a strange power. It was eerie, but I didn't fixate on it long as I sat Tempest down and slid into my knapsack.

"Are you ready?" I asked my small companion.

Tempest bounced in excitement.

"Let's goo," he exclaimed.

I laughed and led him along the coast, dodging unnecessary battles as we raced towards the mire. Monsters were everywhere, sloshing around in the thick mud as they marched in continuous patterns along the clearing. I saw Muddy Hands sink into the earth, ready to pounce, and the poisonous Midnight Horknight, a goblin-type creature mounted on a giant wasp, patrolling the area. But the beast I sought was nowhere to be found.

Where is it?

Perhaps in the next area.

I raced through the mire into the second clearing, searching. The snap of a whip caught my attention and on a rocky knoll, I saw it, skittering around on its eight leg-like roots.

"There it is," I uttered with a grin.

The Gnawchid.

Alice and I have trained for this occasion. It felt like a graduation test; one we would soon overcome.

"Here we go Tempest," I exclaimed.

The said slime growled and leaped forward, ramming into the beast's thick stem-like body. The Gnawchid was thrown off balance, but recovered and snapped its sharp fangs at us, ready to fight. It was as horrendous as Gianni told me; a flowering plant with sundry tendrils that closely resembled a daffodil.

I took out my knives, but the beast suddenly attacked, snapping its tendrils through the air like a whip to hit me. I managed to dodge, rolling in the mud to avoid being hit, but the Gnawchid attacked again, forcing me to keep on the run from its violent attacks. It was much faster than I anticipated. There was no way I could cast a spell under these conditions. Weren't most RPGs turn-based? Someone didn't pass along the memo to this beast. Damn.

"Tempest, I need a moment," I shouted.

The said slime rammed the Gnawchid again sending it off balance and giving me a moment to cast an elemental spell. A bolt shot down from the sky and electrocuted it, killing it rather quickly. The beast fell over and faded in a haze of purple, leaving behind a seed of Faerie Fluff that I pocketed with glee.

"We did it," I uttered in disbelief.

Tempest leaped into my arms. I was proud.

"We beat it ... we actually beat it."

I hugged him tight and bounced in excitement. At last Alice and I passed our first milestone. I knew she was just as proud as I was. It took nine long years of grueling training, but we could finally set out on our own and discover the secrets of Erdrea.

Glancing down at Tempest I noticed how dirty I made him; his body was frozen and covered in mud much like mine.

"It's time we went home," I mentioned. "You and I could use a warm bath."

Tempest cheered in agreement.

We took our time returning to the city, but as we exited the gate around noon, I hummed in confusion upon seeing the new faces of travelers crowding the streets. What was going on? The only time I had ever seen so many people was during the contest Gondolia held each year. But that wasn't until later. Wasn't it?

I walked over to the closest kiosk, a weapon shop, clearing my throat. A familiar man with slicked-back hair smiled at me.

"Alice. Welcome. I haven't seen you around in a few days."

"I've been gathering material for Gianni in the region," I explained.

An uproar on the street drew my attention a brief moment as a group of soldiers from Heliodor marched by. I recognized the symbol on their armor, a cross fleury. But what were they doing here? Seldom did they come to Gondolia unless an issue arose. I was curious, but it wasn't my business.

"What has the city so in a rush? Is there a festival going on?" I asked.

The merchant widened his eyes.

"Have you forgotten? It's time for the Signor Universo contest."

Was it? I must have lost track of the year. Damn.

"I am sorry," I uttered. "But I need to get home."

"It's no problem. I imagine you are eager to see Lucia and the kids again," the merchant mentioned.

Alice and I are.

Saying my farewells to him, I hurried down the brick walkway towards the stage, but as I crossed the bridge near the orphanage, I heard a voice call out to the crowd.

"Listen, and listen well," an older man with narrowed eyes shouted. He stood on the stage where the contest was held, dressed in an ornate suit of silver and gold armor. "I, Jasper, knight of Heliodor and trusted retainer of His Majesty, King Carnelian... Come before you to tell you that the very Darkspawn himself is among us. The bedeviled child who brought about the destruction of Dundrasil,"

Wait! What? He was a knight? Was King Carnelian the reason the soldiers of Heliodor were in Gondolia? To search for the Darkspawn.

I had heard about this from Gianni. Seven years before I came to Erdrea, Dundrasil Castle northeast of the Laguna di Gondolia region was destroyed by monsters. It was rumored that the fated Luminary, champion of Erdrea was the reason for its fall, bringing darkness to the world. A typical RPG plotline. But I had a hard time believing it.

The alleged 'Darkspawn' Jasper had called out was a teenager, perhaps even younger than Alice.

Two Heliodorian Soldiers and one guard surrounded the Luminary and his blue-haired companion before they could escape, cornering them in and onto the stage where more armored men surrounded them. I watched as the two fought, and as much as I wanted to help, it was not my place. The Luminary was the main character of this story; I was nothing more than an NPC.

He'll be fine. Won't he?

I ignored my concerns, returning to Coral House.

"And with the demise of the wicked metal slime, the prince broke the curse on Goorora with a kiss and the two lived together happily ever after. The end," I recited.

Six-year-old Carina smiled, curling up beneath her floral blanket.

"I was so scared Goorora would never wake," she uttered.

I grinned.

"The metal slime was no match for the love the prince had for Princess Goorora."

Enzo, the oldest, faked a snore.

"Love stories are boring," he uttered.

Eight-year-old Arlo a bed over agreed with a nod.

"There wasn't enough action. The prince beat the slime without much of an effort," he mentioned.

"I thought it was a wonderful story," Carina argued. "Love stories aren't meant to be full of action."

I hummed.

"Some are."

Stories like Romeo and Juliet, or the Odyssey.

"I want to hear one; a good one with lots of action," Enzo ordered.

He was a needy kid, but no less good.

"That's not a part of the deal; one story, then bed. It was Carina's turn to choose," I brought up. "But next time, I will tell you all about Goodysseus and his journey home to see his wife and son."

"Is there a happy ending?" Carina asked.

Arlo grunted.

"Don't spoil the ending."

"Wait and see," I mentioned, giving her a wink. "Now off to bed with your lot."

Carina laughed and pulled her blanket up to her shoulders.

"Good night, Miss Alice," she uttered.

The boys followed suit.

Leaving them to rest, I sauntered down the stairs to a dark and empty living room; the faint scent of ash cakes from dinner still lingered in the warm air.

Did Lucia go to bed already? I don't blame her if she did. Running after kids at her age must be tiring. One of the reasons I moved close to the orphanage once I became of age was to help her out. She raised me after all. And since the others from my group were gone; some moved from Gondolia while others made a life of their own inside the city, Lucia needed all the help she could get to raise Enzo, Arlo, and Carina, at least for now.

I yawned as I gathered my knapsack and cloak from the table, free of mud. I still needed to run by DeLuca before I went home, but I was beat. Perhaps I should have asked Tempest to take the raw material to Gianni when he left after our bath.

There was no sense crying over spilled milk. I'd better get it done before I forget.

The moon was out as I left Coral House, hurrying down the street. As I neared the bridge, I heard a familiar voice whisper my name. At the base of the stage was Lucia, waving me over. What was she doing? I puckered a brow, walking over to her.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

"Cover yourself, dear. Do it quick."

Okay. What was she on about? I pushed my long-braided hair over my shoulder and slid on my hood.

"What is––"

"The Luminary is in trouble," Lucia interrupted.

Was he? I looked onto the stage, widening my eyes. Lucia was right. Jasper had cornered the Luminary and his friends against the railing near the back of the stage. But why were they still in Gondolia?

"Darkspawn he says," Lucia snorted. "He came back for his blue-haired friend once he was caught."

What?

"You have to help them, dear," Lucia implored.

Was she series?

"Those are trained guards of Heliodor. I don't stand a chance against them," I mentioned.

Even if I somehow was able to stop them, I would be no match for Jasper.

"You stand a far better chance than you think," Lucia claimed. "Trust in the Luminary, dear."

Did she not understand what she was asking me to do? The consequences were too great. I'd be locked away for aiding him. An NPC wasn't meant to get involved with the main character and their story.

But he needs me.

I grunted in annoyance and rushed onto the stage, casting a bolt of lightning on the guards in the back, thinning out their numbers. I was able to maneuver around Jasper and the rest rather easily, standing next to a lean man with dark slicked back shoulder-length hair.

"What is this?" Jasper seethed. "The Darkspawn has yet another companion. No matter. You have been cornered, little rat."

I was scared this would happen. What was I thinking?

The man beside me turned around and gasped. What did he see?

"Alright," he uttered. "This is gonna seem crazy, but just trust me, okay?"

Rushing to the railing at my right, the man leaped into the ocean. I gasped. Trust him? He was insane. Did he expect us to follow him? Or was he saving his own skin?

I messed up.

Jasper laughed.

"True to form, the rats leap from the sinking ship. So much for your faithful friends, Darkspawn. Now, this ridiculous farce has gone on long enough. All that remains is for you to choose how it ends. Surrender to me or entrust your fate to the sharks that circle beneath. Well? Which will it be?"

My heart pounded in my chest. How was I ever going to return home now?

Ann, I'm––

A guard unexpectedly rushed to the front of the line and pointed to something in the distance.

"S-Sir Jasper! L-Look!"

Peaking over my shoulder, a large brigantine ship came barreling towards us at full speed. Its figurehead, two golden horses resting between a long bowsprit, gleamed in the moonlight. As it neared us, I could see the man from before standing on the bowsprit, striking a pose. Once he was within earshot of us, he turned and waved.

"Yoo-hoo! How's that for a dramatic entrance, eh? Introducing ... the Salty Stallion! The finest ship to ever sashay across the seas."

Turning to speak to someone I couldn't see, the ship turned and eased closer to the railing behind us; close enough for us to hop onto.

"All aboard," the dark-haired man shouted.

The Luminary gave a nod and his companions all jumped onto the ship. But what of me? Should I join them? I hesitated. What do I do?

"Hop aboard, darling," the man ordered.

What choice did I have? I didn't want to go to prison. Groaning in annoyance, I leaped from the railing and onto the deck of the ship as it sailed past.

"Ciao, for now, Jasper darling," the owner of the ship shouted, blowing the said man a kiss. "Bet you didn't see that coming. Ooh, I do love a twist."

I certainly didn't.

Watching the guards disappear into the distance I noticed a woman with blue hair near the railing. She waved at us, then turned and disappeared into the darkness. Who was she? I hummed. How strange.

"Hey, pal. Thanks for the assist," a voice beside me said.

I turned, looking at the blue-haired teen from this afternoon.

"If you hadn't shown up, darling, I might not have noticed the Salty Stallion in the distance," the dark-haired man mentioned, hoping down onto the deck.

A young girl in a kitten outfit leaned forward and narrowed her eyes at me.

"That was either dumb luck or an elaborate scheme to bring down our guard. Which is it? And who are you?" She asked.

"I think perhaps dumb luck," I answered.

Taking off my hood, I gave a wave.

"My name is Alice. It's a pleasure."

What followed was utter silence.

A/n: Readers familiar with DQ know that some slimes replace words with goo, so it's not a typo. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

906K 41.5K 175
๐’Š๐’ ๐’˜๐’‰๐’Š๐’„๐’‰ the boy who lived falls for the girl who had no one
874K 40.6K 61
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...
291K 11.7K 41
แ€ค Fic แ€žแ€Šแ€บ แ€กแ€›แ€™แ€บแ€ธแ€›แ€ญแ€ฏแ€„แ€บแ€ธแ€…แ€ญแ€ฏแ€„แ€บแ€ธแ€žแ€ฑแ€ฌ แ€กแ€žแ€ฏแ€ถแ€ธแ€กแ€”แ€พแ€ฏแ€”แ€บแ€ธแ€แ€ฝแ€ฑแ€€แ€ญแ€ฏแ€žแ€ฌแ€žแ€ฏแ€ถแ€ธแ€‘แ€ฌแ€ธแ€žแ€ฑแ€ฌ Big Warning ๐Ÿšจ18+ Fic แ€แ€•แ€ฏแ€’แ€บแ€–แ€ผแ€…แ€บแ€žแ€Šแ€บ แ‹
433K 17.6K 61
โ•ฐโ”ˆโžค *โ‹†โ ๐ข'๐ ๐ซ๐š๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐ง๐จ๐ญ ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฌ๐ž ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐œ๐จ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐ž๐ž ๐ญ๐š๐›๐ฅ๐ž ๐š๐ฌ ๐š ๐ซ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ญ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ฉ๐ข๐ฌ๐ฌ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐จ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ญ๐ข๐ฆ๐ž-๐›...