Winter In The Shade | Sirius...

By willowbleedsonpaper

It is Sirius' fifth year at Hogwarts, the same year he ran away from home and to the Potter's. Soon, he disco... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXII

XXXI

525 13 11
By willowbleedsonpaper

"I see we're all here again." Mia noticed, entering the kitchen with her ever big smile, her hands full with a basket filled with all types of tools and flowers, her hands still gloved and sprinkling dirt wherever she walked. It wasn't everyday that you got to see Euphemia Potter in such a casual state. "Two sons, two best friends, check. I saw you all last night before I went to bed." she counted, dropping the basket with a thud in one small wooden table on the far end of the kitchen, "Lily and Y/N, my sweet girls. How are you?" she asked, clasping her hands in front of her as you both smiled back. But then her head turned to your side, her head tilting with kindness "I don't believe I know you, dear." she said, genuine concern in her voice.

You were about to speak up, your body leaning forward with anticipation when James' voice stopped you, making you turn to him. "That's Sirius' brother, mum." he said simply, no further explanation needed. "He and Y/N visited yesterday, you didn't catch them but dad took them back to Y/N's."

Her smile faltered for a second, her mouth open slightly as her wide eyes turned to Regulus, not once hiding her shock. "He did mention it." she whispered, a soft smile coming back to her "This is him?" she asked again, turning to Sirius for confirmation. At his subtle nod, a breathy laugh left her lips, going around the counter to the stool where he sat. Regulus watched her carefully, weary of her movements as he did not know what to expect. Her eyes roamed his face like it was a painting, a beautiful painting that still smelled of fresh paint and that she was the first expector of, one that brought emotions that hid in the depths of her eyes. "Regulus." she whispered, her knuckles brushing along his cheekbone as she leaned in, stiffening his body in a warm embrace, "Sweet boy." she muttered, only him being able to listen.

When she pulled from him, a soft sniff could be heard from her. "About time I got to meet this charming boy." she said, turning to the group of people currently watching her, soft smiles and weird out looks meeting her. She waved her hand too fast, shaking her head as she made a funny look, "Don't let me interrupt you, I'm sure you're all here for a reason." she said, taking her basket and walking to the room at the end of the kitchen. However she stopped before she was out of ear shot, turning her head "Whatever you do, be safe about it. No more Quidditch, especially you, Y/N."

You chuckled softly, shrinking in your spot. "Sure thing, Mia." you said.

As soon as the door closed Regulus turned his head slowly to you, raised eyebrows and a questioning look in his face, "You played Quidditch?" he asked.

You smiled tightly, "Not really."

"Is the night you kidnapped her, you idiot. We had to make up an excuse." Sirius said flatly, his arm finding its way around your shoulder as you snuggled into it, looking up to see his face softening.

"She did play Quidditch before that," James commented, wiggling his eyebrows in your direction "She's no good."

"Were you any good when you first started flying a broom, Potter?" you asked with the raise of one eyebrow.

He blew air out his mouth, a smirk on his lips as he winked in your direction "The best, it's called talent." he said.

You couldn't help your smile, shaking your head "Show off." you muttered, Lily agreeing with a smile and the roll of her eyes. But Sirius had fallen silent, your hand going to hold his hand hanging on your shoulder, shaking the glare of his face with the squeeze of his hand. You followed the direction of his eyes, leading you to Regulus at your opposite side. "Stop." you whispered, turning back to him.

Sirius shook his head, "He's staring at Lily flower." he said, pointing with his chin to the redhead who had turned to Remus and Peter. "I don't like it."

"You don't like anything that involves Regulus." you established for him, turning to your side as you nudge Regulus with your elbow, "Stop staring." you whispered, cocking your head towards your back to where Lily was.

He looked at them for one second, before blinking away and turning his head to you, his movements too precise, too calculated. His chest raised with a big breath, "What exactly are we waiting for?" he asked.

You laughed softly, seeing as James walked out of the same room Mia had walked in with three boxes in each arm. You looked at him, Regulus turning as your eyes focused over his shoulder, "Breakfast." you said, standing to help James, taking some of the boxes from him.

"We should be gone." he argued, taking one of the boxes from you and slapping it in Sirius' chest while taking the other one from your hand. He stared at it, reading the label, "No one should have these many cereal options." he said, placing it on the counter.

"Dad loves them," James said as Remus got the bowls from the tall shelf he couldn't reach, "Loves going to the stores Muggles go to do their shopping."

"Grocery stores." Lily said, turning to Regulus "Besides, you can't go look for the locket on an empty stomach."

He narrowed his eyes, "I've had coffee." he said matter-of-factly, making you snort as you placed a bowl in front of him.

Lily smiled too, the action reaching her eyes as she poured cereal in her bowl, raising her green eyes to look at him, "That is not even the start of a breakfast, Regulus." she chuckled, passing the cereal to Peter who was making grabby hands at her.

Regulus tilted his head, an amused look on his eyes as he blinked rapidly in her direction.

"What are you doing?" Sirius asked, gathering the attention of everyone around the counter where you had settled, glancing between him and his questioning look at Regulus.

You took the box in Regulus' hands, giving it to James who had a waiting hand stretched in your direction. "Leave him alone, Sirius." you said, turning to face a confused and empty handed Regulus "That one has cinnamon, you don't like it."

He hummed, looking up from his hands "Do you have any idea what I have achieved with just a cup of coffee, Evans?" Regulus asked, taking your bowl from you.

Lily turned to him surprised, spoon in her mouth. "Great things I'm sure," she said after, "But I'm sure you were at Hogwarts then, which meant less worries, less responsibilities and more hours of sleep. When was the last time you got any of those?"

You smiled smugly, eating from Sirius' bowl as you got too lazy to get another one yourself.

Regulus stared again, his clean spoon pointed at Lily "Touché." he whispered, getting the first spoon out of his cereal.

*******

"Stop drinking coffee." James said as he entered the kitchen again, taking the cup from the counter, "You'll be a shaking mess if you keep it up."

Regulus only stared up for a brief second, slamming his hand on the counter to hold the piece of parchment the cup helped hold straight. "I'm already one." he muttered, continuing with his writing.

The sound captured James' attention, making him walk to the side as he tried to get a look on what he was doing. "What are you writing? Is it a note?" he asked, moving his head in time to Regulus' hand that tried to cover his handwriting.

Regulus turned sharply to him, holding his gaze. "Would you stop?" he asked, getting a chuckle from James at his frustrated look. "What's so funny?" he asked, folding the note and placing it inside his replica of the locket.

James just watched him, "You make funny faces when you're annoyed." he commented, trying his best to put on a serious face and then his best impressions of Regulus.

"You've always had a talent for being annoying." Regulus murmured, crossing his arms over his chest.

The sound of his chuckle echoed in the room, eyes lowered "You think?" James asked, looking up at him, "I think of it as charming. No, wait, you're the charming one. I am adorable."

Regulus rolled his eyes, "You're the only one who's ever called me that." he said flatly, "The world seems to strongly disagree."

James nodded slowly, arms resting on the counter "One day they'll see."

"Like you did?" Regulus asked, lifting his chin up slightly. "Like Y/N did?"

James limited to shrug, "Maybe all it takes is trying to defeat one evil wizard." he offered, drumming his fingers against the cold counter. "Can I ask you something?"

Regulus thought about it, blinking slowly as he lowered his eyes "I'm the one sitting in your kitchen, I suppose you can."

Shifting his weight, James got more comfortable, pressing his lips together before he looked down "What were you apologising for? Yesterday when you came here."

A silence fell over both of them, Regulus biting the inside of his cheeks as he lifted his eyes, finding James already looking at him. "Isn't Lily waiting for you? She is lovely, by the way. Beyond kind and caring."

James sighed bitterly, face turned sideways as he turned his back on Regulus. "Not what I asked," he muttered.

"You don't need it." Regulus said calmly.

"But what if I do?" he asked harshly, turning on his spot to look at him.

With one look, Regulus considered him, words on the tip of his tongue. But then his ears perked up, glancing at the door as James too looked to the door with a groan. "Someone's coming."

"Yeah," James said, marching to the door as he barely avoided clashing his shoulder with Sirius.

Sirius turned with surprise, watching his best friend go to the backyard all alone. "What did you say to him?" Sirius asked, his eyes hardened as turned to Regulus.

"Believe it or not, I did nothing." he answered, "Where is Y/N?"

Sirius walked past the stools, jumping on the counter to sit there. "Getting last minute lessons from Moony."

Regulus watched him carefully, how he sat on top of surfaces, how he moved around the house, recalling how Euphemia Potter had referred to him as her son. Was this what Sirius had always been meant to be, what he could have looked like if their parents weren't their parents.

"So it's Moony." he commented triumphantly, suppressing the grin rising on his face at the sharp turn Sirius' head took, "Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs."

"What did you say?" Sirius flared, turning his body to face his brother.

"You're nicknames." he said, tilting his head "I'm sure they have a meaning. They all have an animalistic sound to them, something along those lines?" he asked, a mischievous look on his eyes "Do you perhaps identify with some animal? Some kind of dog?"

Sirius was holding back all instinct to not attack Regulus in that same spot. A pan to his right looking too tentative as he saw a target form in the side of his brother's head. Instead playing it cool, narrowing his eyes "You've been watching me all this time. Creepy, but I'll let it slide. You've always been obsessed."

Regulus smiled, nodding softly "Being creepy, as you say, has gotten me places you could only dream of. You act without analysing as I watch and then act."

"Yes, because getting a dark mark is the dream of every young boy." Sirius mocked, raising his eyebrows in amusement.

"Your problem is that you are too present, you don't see the big picture." he said, almost pitying. "By the time this is over this will only be a scar, a reminder of all I did for the sake of the wizarding world."

Sirius scoffed humorlessly, "You want all the glory."

"I want to live in a world where the ones I care about are safe." he said, all smugness erased from his face as he leaned forward, "If I save millions or if I just save Y/N, it won't matter. But we know chances are that I'll do more than that."

"You both will." Sirius added, watching as Regulus held his eyes "You and Y/N will do it. And that is what I want to talk to you about."

"What?" Regulus asked.

"Tell me the truth." Sirius said, "Is it dangerous?"

"Not for her." he assured him.

Sirius nodded, still watching him "And for you?"

Regulus smiled bitterly, moving his gaze away "Nothing I can't handle."

"But is it dangerous?" he asked again, insistently.

Regulus turned to him, narrowing his eyes "It will be painful, but it won't kill me."

A frown settled on Sirius' forehead, backing away slightly. After a couple of seconds he nodded surely, jumping down from the counter. He stood before Regulus, looking down with something none of them could place nor name, "Make sure to bring her back," he said, "Make sure you both come back."

*******

"Think of your happiest memory." Remus told you, walking around you with his wand in hand "Let it fill you as if you were reliving every single thing you felt in that moment, whether be a bursting feeling in your chest or the cold feeling or tears running down your eyes because of how hard you were laughing. Let it all fill you." he stopped at your back, looking over your head as you remained with your eyes closed.

Once you opened them again, Lily and Peter were giving you thumbs up and silently clapping, cheerin on you from their spots in the grass. You smiled, giving a firm nod "Ready."

"Now say it," Remus instructed, the smile audible in his voice "Expecto patronum."

You took one breath in, pointing your wand up, letting the air softly out of your mouth, you said it "Expecto patronum." It wasn't hard to get lost in the feelings when one of your happiest memories happened barely two hours ago.

The door to the Potter's Manor opened and it took longer for the door to be completely open than for you being brought to the ground by the tackling hug Sirius attacked you with. You both fell with a thud, the air out of his chest as he managed to twist both of you in the air so you would fall safely on top of him. Regulus, of course, walked over you, muttering under his breath as he entered the house.

"Hi," you smiled down at him, peeking him on the lips.

"Hi, love." he said back, his arms tightening around you.

You looked at him, tilting your head "You have to let me go, Sirius."

"Not yet." he said, letting you get to your feet and as soon as you were safe on the ground his arms were back around you. "We might not have time later." he whispered, leading you to the grass in front of the house.

"Time for what?" you asked, following close.

"Our next song." he said as if it was obvious, "We have to say a proper goodbye."

You chuckled, still placing your hands around his neck "I won't be gone that long. I will probably be back and the sun won't have set yet."

He looked down at you, glaring "Are you putting up excuses not to dance?" he asked, an offended look taking over him.

You gasped, tightening your grip "Never." you said, resting your chin on his shoulder as he swayed you slowly, to the rhythm of his humming. When his song ended, he didn't let go. His hands found yours, intertwining your fingers together as you both danced. He made you twirl, bringing you back to his chest and spinning you back. You traded places, jumping from one place to another to then gracefully take steps around. Your giggles were heard as he spun you in the air and then placed you back on the ground.

Foreheads touched each other, smiles bright and mirrored between both of you. "Do you love me?" he asked.

Your smile only grew, eyes closing "I do. Do you love me?"

"More than you know." he answered.

The tip of your wand remained untouched. The space before you empty of any bright light Remus had described with his own words. You scrunched up your nose, turning to him, "My memory was the happiest."

He stared at the empty space too, tilting his head with a tight smile "I don't believe you'll be facing dementors." he said, placing a hand on your shoulder. "You're good to go."

"What a hell of a teacher Moony." Peter said, clapping as he and Lily walked to you. Remus mocked a laugh, a genuine laugh bursting as Lily slapped his arm.

"Don't be mean, Pete." She said, "I'm sure it's just a matter of practice."

Just then, Regulus walked outside, turning in all directions as his eyes settled on you. He walked until he was standing close enough so you could hear him, giving a nod directed to you "It's time." he said.

"Okay," you whispered. The warm feeling of a hand came to wrap around yours, a soft squeeze making you turn to your left as you saw Lily standing there with a smile. Her hold never wavered, walking next to you to the opposite side of the house, arms brushing together as you descended the stairs of the front door.

"Are you completely sure we can't go with you?" Remus asked, eyes trained on the back of Regulus' head.

You shook your head apologetically, "I wish you could, but Regulus isn't the trusting kind."

Regulus had fallen behind on his steps as you followed him, "Neither is the dark lord." he said while keeping up his walk next to Peter "He will have the place where his soul is hidden under some kind of protection, we will not risk him finding out about it by leading an excursion there as if it is Hogsmeade."

The four of you turned to Regulus with wide eyed looks, the knot in your stomach tightening "Reassuring." you mumbled.

"See, things like that makes me not trust you," Remus said with a sour mood "You call him dark lord."

Regulus just shrugged, "It's a fitting title," he said, turning up to look at Remus "Would you prefer I call him by his name?"

"And he won't notice you?" Peter intervened, not allowing Remus to say anything as he shakily glanced at his forearm.

Regulus' small smile didn't go unnoticed by Peter, "It's less likely."

One by one, you said your goodbyes to everyone. A line of young soldiers all there to bid you goodbye for a couple of hours that they were sure to feel like days and days with no end near in sight. Remus hugged you with the promise you could do the patronus charm if you tried again, Peter promised hot meals and a fire burning for you both when you got back, Lily and James buried you in a crushing hug like two parents seeing their child go on her first day of school.

"No goodbye from you?" you asked Sirius with your arms crossed.

He waved his hand, kicking a rock too hard as his eyes followed it across the tall grass, "Nah, it won't be that long. I'll take a nap and you'll be back to wake me up."

You smiled softly, placing your hand on his shoulder as you stood on your tiptoes, "'til our next song." you whispered, placing a kiss on his cheek.

You didn't get one step away, his hand on your waist turning you to him, arms immediately wrapped around you. "I bought some records for us, so you better not be late." he whispered in your ear, letting go of you as he placed a soft kiss on your lips.

You smiled on the kiss, hearing the distinctive groan of Regulus "Two minutes." he called.

You turned to him with a glare, his finger pointing to his watch. "I won't be late." you promised to Sirius, leaving his side as you walked to Regulus. "What's with the rush, you old man?"

His eyes never moved from his watch, "Thirty seconds." he said.

You gave him a funny look, but ignored him all the same. Turning up to look at all your friends.

"No funny business, you two." James said, "Don't play heroes, you see something that tickles you the wrong way, you get out of there."

You grinned, "You're one to say that," you teased, getting a disapproving look from him. Your hands were raised in the air, "Yes, mum." you mumbled, turning to Regulus' watch.

Just then the clock ticked a new hour and before you a swirl appeared, materialising in the form of Kreacher.

"Master Regulus." he greeted, taking in his surroundings. He let out a low groan, his eyes scanning all people before him as he turned back to Regulus with a scowl.

Regulus took his hand out, offering it to you as his eyes remained in brown ones. "Take us there, Kreacher." he asked.

His small fingers snapped in the air before any word could leave your mouth. The next thing you knew, you dropped to firm ground, the sound of waves crashing against solid material and the fresh breeze of the sea hitting your face. You stood tall, letting go of your hold in Regulus' hand. You turned all around you, gathering all the details you could.

"Where are we?" you asked, turning to him.

"Some cave, I'm not sure." he answered, your stomach turning inside of you. "You are certain this is the place, Kreacher?" he asked, watching as the elf took a couple of steps in.

"Yes." he answered, voice low and bitter "Kreacher is certain." he growled.

Regulus nodded, motioning you to follow. As usual he offered his arm, and even if the situation felt out of place to walk like that with him, the place was awfully freaking you out, your arm around his in an instant as your wand was tightly secured on your other hand. "You weren't sure this was the place?" you asked in a whisper, trying to keep eyes on Kreacher at all times.

"Kreacher was here with him." he explained, raising his wand as you got further in the cave, the light becoming lesser until it was almost impossible to see. "I had started to believe he didn't have the greatest ideas when mother got scared. She would keep her distance, only meet him or other death eaters when necessary. When he asked for a house elf, I offered Kreacher to have some insight on what he was doing."

You giggled, "Kreacher spied for you?" you asked, looking at the small creature you now followed. You could see it, how it was easy to underestimate him.

"He listened, told me all he heard." he said, narrowing his eyes as it was becoming more difficult to see "I had to make sense of all he gave me, like an incredibly confusing puzzle."

You turned to him, an offended look on your face. "You could have asked for help."

"I did, just not from you." he said, making you let go of his arm. "What?" he asked, turning to you with confusion.

"Who did you ask for help?" you asked in a hissing whisper, wand up and lighting the path for Kreacher who kept on mumbling under his breath a couple of steps from you.

Echoes from the cave started to surround you, the fall of small things making an almost thunderous sound that kept you on edge. You and Regulus now walked sideways, back against back as you tried to follow Kreacher only by his voice.

"Professor Dumbledore." he answered at last.

You glanced briefly over your shoulder, looking at Regulus "He knows?" you asked in disbelief.

"He knows what I let him know." he whispered confidently "But he truly is brilliant, I'm sure he's connected all the dots by now. However he doesn't have all the pieces, or a spy."

"And we do." you said smugly with a smile, your voice dropping as you stopped, "Still you should have asked for my- Hey, is that a wall?" you asked, pointed at the dead end you reached.

"Is this it, Kreacher?" Regulus asked, looking down to him as he moved to his side.

Kreacher neared the stone wall wearily, extending his hand at the seemingly end of the cave with a scowl in his face, "Yes," he murmured, palm placed flat on the cold stone as he turned to look at Regulus, "He said it when he brought Kreacher here, a sacrifice to weaken the foolish."

"Sacrifice?" you asked, turning to Regulus.

Regulus gave you a side glance, kneeling so he could uncover his leg, a small knife glistening from inside his sock, pulling out with a swift movement. Instinctively, you took one step back, watching as he took a step forward. Your grip on your wand tightened, capturing his attention with a low scoff.

"Have you come to think that low of me?" he asked.

"No one has died for being cautious-" Your words were cut short, seeing as he placed the blade in his palm, his hand closing around it as he pulled the knife from his hand harshly, red drops following the silver as a drowned groan surged from him.

"Damn it," you muttered as he walked to the wall, quickly ripping the end of your shirt as he dragged his hand all along the stone. It was a blink, the sound of the tearing of your cloth leading your eyes down and then back. In front of Regulus appeared an opening deeper into the cave, a greater space that the poor lighting and the distance didn't allow you to see entirely.

"Here," you said, reaching your hand at him as your eyes remained in the distance. The warmth on his palm made you look down to his hand, the bright red more noticeable on his pale skin. You glanced doubtfully at him through your lashes, biting on the inside of your cheek. Placing your wand in between your teeth, you bandage his hand carefully.

You asked him a question, your words funny with your wand in your mouth. He looked weirdly at you, taking your wand from your mouth as he motioned for you to talk again. "Do you carry a knife everywhere you go?" you repeated, this time understandable.

"I took it from the kitchen." he said, making you frown.

"The kitchen? What-" the you looked up at him in disbelief, "Did you steal one of Mia's kitchen knives?" you asked.

"Borrowed." he corrected, holding his wand close to your face, giving you enough light to work with, "I will return it." then he paused, giving you back your wand as he moved his bandaged hand in the air, "Thank you." he said once you let go of him.

You wanted to apologise for your reaction, opening your mouth when he spoke first, motioning for you to follow as apparently Kreacher seemed to be in a hurry when he seemingly didn't wait for you to even finish bandaging Regulus' hand. Regulus didn't say anything, narrowed eyes in the distance with his wand securely placed in front of him.

"So professor Dumbledore helped you?" you asked, mirroring his stance as you too held your wand up, the two lights not enough to look two metres from where you stood.

He nodded, eyes falling to Kreacher. "He probably thinks I'm planning something awful," he commented with an amused smile, "The type of readings I did were not something a student our age would be interested in. I'm not sure what he thinks I'm doing, not that I care." his face suddenly fell, brow furrowed "He still helped me."

You were looking at him intently, the worry in your eyes never washing away. "Don't you think it's weird?" you asked.

He raised his hand, stopping you a couple of steps behind him as he stood taller. "I didn't stop to think about it." he murmured, stretching his hand in the air.

You took a couple of steps to stand beside him, focusing your eyes in the distance, "What is that?" you asked, the small source of light far away from you being the only thing that you could properly see, still not knowing what it was.

Regulus swallowed hard, taking the image before him in and staring at it like he would people who dared question him, with disdain and coldness.

"That's our destination," he said, taking the shift of your weight as nerves "The locket is there."

You laughed nervously, moving to stand in front of him. "Regulus" you said, making him look down at you "Do you remember last year when you got us a month's worth of detention?" you asked, raising your eyebrows, "Do you?" you insisted, watching as tilted his head. He was holding your gaze, your nerves burning into some type of anger as he said nothing. "Does this situation perhaps bring back memories of you pushing me inside the bloody black lake?"

A smile grew on his face, his eyes falling to his chest as he bit back the laugh that threatened to escape him. "We're taking a boat." he explained, walking past you as he reached his hand for a chain lying in the ground. Kreacher was soon at his side, helping him as you only stared.

"You've got to be kidding me." you said, closing your eyes. You might start crying sooner than you thought. "Reg-"

"Listen to me," he said, turning to you sternly "We'll be inside the boat, nothing is going to happen until we get to that island. When we're there," he started, his voice severely strict, pausing for a second with a deep breath "Once we are there, you're gonna have to give me a potion that will weaken me. You must make sure I drink the whole thing to get the locket. Understood?"

Your face had hardened, the worry trying to break through it. "I understand."

He nodded, walking to the boat as you followed, his hand stretched to you "And whatever you do," he said, helping you inside the boat, "Don't touch the water."

You scoffed bitterly, watching as the boat started to move, making you glance hesitantly over the brim of the boat. "Trust me, I'm staying away from the water." you murmured miserably, moving back as your reflection in the water made shivers run down your spine. The water was so dark you could barely see it, the ghost of what you looked like staring back at you, fear reflecting in your eyes. You had to pull yourself together, you needed to be ready for what came next.

"You're not telling me everything," you said, moving softly as you turned to him. He glanced down at you briefly, resting his knee on the small bench where he was supposed to be seated, his eyes in the distance as if he was some sort of sailor in his mighty ship. Disappointing ship, if you were allowed to comment.

"What is that supposed to mean?" he asked.

"You have a tendency of keeping things from me-"

"Will you let it go?" he asked looking at you, a frustrated look in his eyes "I did it to protect you."

"Will you let me finish?" you asked equally frustrated, "You do it to protect me, I know. Like when you let it slip that the Slytherin common room is under the black lake and I spent weeks worried that you might drown in your sleep."

He suddenly looked amused, the corner of his mouth turning up. "It is a magic castle, the windows aren't likely to break and drown a fourth of the students there."

"Have you seen the pranks Sirius pulls on the students that go unpunished?" you asked with a small laugh, "Safety is not a Hogwarts priority." you said, rolling your eyes. Regulus was no longer looking at you, his eyes trained in the distance. You gulped, toying with your fingers "You're not telling me things right now. I'm hoping it is because you don't want me to be scared."

His perfect posture faltered, his shoulders dropping in sync with his eyes. "Why else would I do it?"

"So you are keeping things from me." you said triumphantly, grinning.

He rolled his eyes, shaking his head. "You're braver than you think." he said after a beat, "But you tend to overthink everything. You have a big heart and you think with it, led by instinct and your gut. When you don't see things coming to you, you are able to improvise, to think and act simultaneously, which is not the best but you always seem to pull off gracefully." You smiled without him seeing you, his attention drifting from time to time. "You'll find out everything in due time. Talk about anything else." he said.

"Fine," you agreed, "But you have to answer." He frowned, giving you a weird look but no answer "What were you doing yesterday morning in James' home?"

His body visibly tensed, his hand stiff as the rest of his body relaxed.

You wanted to say there was no point in denying it, you had seen him and he had been discovered. He answered before any argument in your favour left your lips.

"I went there to apologise." he admitted.

You thought you heard him wrong, the words mumbled by Kreacher on the opposite end of the boat getting mixed with what Regulus had said. "Apologise...To James?" you asked.

"Yes," he said, his chest raising, "You were not the first to try and wake some sense in me."

"What?" you asked in a whisper.

He had a sad smile drawn on his face, getting his knee down as he sat down in front of you with a sigh. "If you weren't as incredibly clever as you are and James wasn't as furiously arrogant as he is, you both would belong to Hufflepuff." he stated, looking down to his hands. "The amount of kindness and heart you two have should be prohibited, you're like two rays of sunshine pulled from outer space."

You wanted to chuckle, warm cheeks hidden in the cold cave, but his own confessions were like small pieces finally fitting in the puzzle. "He helped you?"

He raised both his eyebrows, "Tried." he murmured, lifting his head but not his eyes, "As stubborn as he is, there is only so much a person can take." he then turned to you, his eyes finding yours with a void in them "You know me, you know how I can be. I don't realise what I have until they slip from my fingers, until it's too late." With a pause, he shook his head, "It was too big of a risk. I pushed you away so mother would see exactly what she wanted, and I was left in the dark. I didn't realise how much I needed my sunshine." he laughed sadly, his voice breaking as he turned his head to the side.

"Oh, Regulus." you whispered, moving to sit beside him. You placed your arm around his back, your head resting on his shoulder. A comforting silence fell around you both, even in the growing cave that never seemed to end, the poor warmth you two had was enough to envelop you in a secure blanket that no one could take away.

"I understand what Sirius sees in you, I'm not an idiot. " he said, taking your hand in his, "But you will always be the annoying Ravenclaw who talks to herself while studying. You know, if we are being technical, you're officially my sister now. In law, but my sister."

A laugh burst out of you, small yet genuine, "I've always been your sister." Your hand went to squeeze his, looking at his side as you hand went to cup his cheek caringly "You deserve so much more." you said, him leaning into your touch "When this is all over, we'll be a proper family."

For the first time, Regulus Black looked raw before you.

"Of course." he whispered with a nod.

Beneath you, the smooth feeling of the water changed, the bumpy feeling as the boat started to clash against the island. "Stop the boat, Kreacher." Regulus asked, standing as he let go of your hand.

"This is it, Master." Kreacher said, pointing his hand up, "The locket is hidden there."

You took Regulus' bag, crossing it across your shoulder as you walked to the edge of the boat. Regulus helped you down, both of you turning to look at Kreacher already climbing to get to the basin on top of the island.

"Let's get away from the water," Regulus instructed, looking at it wearily as he followed you up.

Standing right behind you, Regulus could feel your hesitance as you stared down to the basin, both hands placed on each side of it as you raised one single eyebrow. "I've never heard of this potion before." you said, turning to him.

He walked to you, opening the satchel as he moved the red fabric covering most of the space inside "I doubt they would want to teach this potion in school." he said, getting the fake locket from the depths of his satchel. Regulus placed the replica in your hand.

"What do you mean, what does it do?" you asked, closing your hand on the locket as you followed him with your eyes.

He took one breath in, eyes shining green with the colour of the potion reflecting on his face, "It's some kind of torturing potion. A protection for the locket."

"You said I had to make sure you drink all the potion." you said, panic starting to fill you, "No." you said firmly, shaking your head "Absolutely not, you're not drinking that. I will drink it."

"You're not drinking it." Regulus stated.

"It's a torturous potion!" you blurted out.

"And that's exactly why you are not drinking it." he said, giving you the small shell sitting there. "I made promises I intend to keep."

"Fuck your promises." you told him, placing the shell down. "I can't do it."

"One of us has to drink this potion or this entire thing would have been in vain. I am telling you, you are not drinking this potion and that is final." he said harshly, voice firm and louder than he first started.

You stared at him daringly, glancing at the basin. "Good luck stopping me."

He had seen right through you, his wand pointed at you two steps into getting to the basin. "Incarcerous."

You fell to your side with a shriek and a thudding sound. "Regulus Black, don't you dare touch that potion." you yelled, turning to your back as he looked down at you with disdain.

"Free her as soon as I take the first drink of the potion, Kreacher." He told him, the elf moving to the side of your head as he seemed too gleeful to your liking at your current state.

You let it slide, fighting your bindings as Regulus got the shell on his hands, dipping it on the potion as the light grew stronger as he neared it to his face. "Regulus!" you called strongly, turning sharply to Kreacher, "Get me out, now."

Kreacher ignored you, Regulus ignored your call. "All the potion must be drunk." he reminded you, eyes turning down to the shining liquid. He took all the content of the shell in one go, his eyes shut tight. When he lowered his face again, the confusion was visible, his eyes looking for you as he frowned. Kreacher was already working on the bounds, your eyes glued to Regulus. The shell fell from his hands with a clicking sound, a choking sound surged from him, his hands immediately on the basin looking for support as he fell to his knees.

You shook yourself from the ropes still around your body, rushing to his side in an instant. "Regulus." you whispered. He was doubling over himself, shutting his eyes closed as he swallowed the cries threatening to leave him.

"Keep going." he fought to say hoarsely, finally letting all his weight fall to the ground. His back rested against the basin, your lips sealed tight as you left his side, running to get the shell from where it fell. You had to move fast, the quicker you were, the sooner it would be over.

You got the shell full to the brim, shaky hands carrying it to Regulus as you kneeled beside him. "Here." you said, capturing his attention as his eyes snapped open, moving his mouth to the shell. He downed it all, bursting into a fit of coughs as soon it was running down his throat. You looked down at his fists, closed tightly as he seemed unable to stop shaking, resisting the effects of the potion making it even more unbearable. He started to groan lowly, shaking his head while bitter words rolled from his tongue.

"Stop." The words registered in your brain, gulping as you went to get more of the potion. He kept repeating the word, over and over until it was the only thing you could hear. When you moved back to his side, he was shaking his head again, refusing to open his eyes as he threw his head back, the veins in his neck more prominent as low cries left his mouth. "I can't." he managed to say at the sky.

You felt your throat close, his voice tearing you apart from the inside. "You have to." you say softly, offering the shell to his mouth, "Remember what you said, you have to finish it all."

His breathing was audible, rest moving rapidly as he snapped his head to you, eyes scanning you, "Y/N?" he asked, confused, blinking rapidly at you. You nodded your head, a sad smile on your face. He was about to return the smile when he began to cough, a sudden scream making him collapse again.

You couldn't start crying there, the knot in your stomach tightening as you saw him fall, the pressure in your throat and nose signalling the tears were already pooling on your eyes ready to burst. The shell filled with potion was forgotten on the edge of the basin, sliding to Regulus and supporting him on your side. "Just a couple more." you said, trying to say encouragingly.

He was shaking his head furiously, barely able to keep it up. "Stop, please." his eyes mirrored your own. "Mother, please. Stop." he pleaded.

Your hands tightened around the shell, frozen on the spot where you stood as you realised he wasn't asking you to stop. One of your tears created a loop on the potion as it fell on the content of the shell, mouth slightly open as your eyes fell on the emerald liquid. He was asking his mother to stop.

"Regulus," you called, kneeling in front of him, "Regulus." you said again, shell placed at his side as your hands went to tap softly on his cheeks, making him look at your eyes. "It's me, Y/N."

"Y/N." he repeated in a shaky breath.

"Yeah," you whispered, reaching for the shell again. "You have to drink more."

His head dropped, body shaking "No," he said softly, letting your free hand lift his face, "It hurts."

"I know." you said with a broken voice, your cheeks tear stained, "I know it hurts but we'll be out of here soon. I'll bake you all the cookies you want and you'll move in with me and we'll annoy Sirius together, you just have to finish it."

Defeated, he nodded. He helped you guide the shell to his mouth, a burning sensation on his throat as he swallowed the entire content.

It became impossible to give him the potion when he began to scream.

Emptying the contents of the basin only increased Regulus' pain, fueling the intensity of his screams until they were burned in your mind. The life of Regulus Black had fallen from his own lips in the form of pleas, his regrets taking the names of those who plagued his mind. You didn't notice where the sweat ended and the tears bagan, you couldn't tell what percentage of his shaking was provoked from the pain and what part surged from fear, your mind couldn't comprehend when his begs for his mother to stop had turned to whispered apologies dripping with regret.

"You don't have to apologise." you cried, giving him small sips of the last of the potion. He could no longer take big gulps, making him spit the potion who immediately returned to the basin, doubling the pain. "You did it. Just one more."

"I'm sorry." he sobbed, swinging his head to the side to get one look at you, "I didn't know when I said those things, I didn't- I didn't know." He could barely lift his hand, the effort taking all his energy as he brushed his knuckles over your cheek. "Now look at you," his voice turned low, hand falling as he turned away from you "You've come to take me too, haven't you?"

You got up, rushing to his other side while fresh tears sprut out from your eyes "I'll take you home." you said, looking down at the last of the potion, "Finish it and I'll take you home."

You got the shell to his lips, his head moving back instinctively "I don't want to leave them, not yet."

You broke into a sob, your body falling down before him. You couldn't do it. You had to do it.

"Drink it, Regulus." you said, holding the back of his head and the potion to his lips. He was shaking his head, a mumbling mess of words as you emptied the remnants of the potion down his throat with encouraging words.

As magic works, as soon as the last drop of potion was drunk, the effects of it wore off of Regulus' body, slumping against your arms in his weakened state. You threw the shell aside, both arms going to hold him to your chest. His name was called in desperate whispers, begging for him to open his eyes or move his hand.

"Reg," you called, connecting your foreheads as your tears fell down his cheeks. "Talk to me, Reg."

Nothing happened. His body was motionless on your arms, the raising of his chest barely there beneath your hand. Then he started to groan.

A startled laugh left your mouth, looking down at him as you moved the hair out of his forehead.

"Don't fucking do that." you blurted out, helping him to a sitting position.

"Did we do it?" he asked hoarsely, looking at the basin and the locket around your neck. With you as support, you both walked to the basin. There, stained with tears and sweat, layed a locket identical to the one you wore.

Regulus took it in his hand, holding it before your faces with pride. "We did it." you confirmed in a breath. One look from Regulus told you everything, a firm nod as you let go of him momentarily, getting the locket off your neck and placing it inside the basin.

"Where is Kreacher?" he asked, looking around him for his friend.

"The boat, I think." you answered, placing his arm around your shoulder as you both walked to the shore where the boat remained.

Not being precisely silent, the small creature noticed you nearing him immediately, taking in the state of Regulus as he stood. "Master Regulus." he said, concern being heard for the first time from him.

"Kreacher," Regulus said, extending his hand with the locket, "Keep it safe, destroy it as soon as you get us out of here."

He bowed his head softly, agreeing with Regulus' words as he reached to take the locket. Kreacher didn't have the chance to take it from his hand when a sudden pull knocked you off your feet.

A scream echoed in the cave. "No!" 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

137K 4.7K 75
When a young girl befriends both the Marauders and Severus Snape, chaos ensues as she is constantly forced to pick a side. Tensions rise as she is in...
94.4K 3.5K 12
Previously titled "Burnt Hope." Regulus Black is persuaded by his brother, Sirius, to run away with him in the middle of the summer. And to none othe...
21.5K 779 16
Four movies are sent to Hogwarts about Sirius Black's older twin sister. She went missing in her fifth year of Hogwarts, at the age of 15. The Maraud...
228K 10.4K 121
Regulus Black, the youngest of the two Black brothers, raised to believe in blood-supremacy and follow their parents without question. When Sirius Bl...