Winter In The Shade | Sirius...

By willowbleedsonpaper

It is Sirius' fifth year at Hogwarts, the same year he ran away from home and to the Potter's. Soon, he disco... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII

XXVII

566 18 0
By willowbleedsonpaper

You watched as Regulus reluctantly exited the room, orders clear from Walburga to stay close but not to interrupt her. Your body couldn't move, from its position next to the soft couches the only thing you felt was the weakness on your knees, buckling every now and then with the shake of your upper body. Your hand found support on the back of one of the couches, tight grip around the hard part of the furniture.

The click of the lock on the door made you blink rapidly, moving your eyes from the door to the woman turning to you with a soft grin. She tilted her head to one side as she moved slowly towards you, her wand in between her hands with a lazy grip on it from both ends. Her hand twisted around the lower end, lifting it in the air as you instinctively turned your face away. When you felt nothing, you dared to open your eyes, watching her smile widening with amusement.

"Just a silencing charm." she explained, moving to sit at the edge of the couch across from you "For privacy, of course."

You were finally able to move, walking behind the couch with a physical barrier between you and her, some form of comfort. "Why would you want that?" you asked defensively, "You've got you wanted, Sirius is here."

"Yes, he is." she affirmed, pointing her hand to a small table at the corner of the room "Bring that tray, dear." she asked. You hesitated, glancing over your shoulder at the spot she motioned, with slow steps you picked up the silver tray from the table, cups arranged neatly next to a steaming teapot with the faint smell of cranberry coming from it. She observed you with hawk eyes, her attention never shifting from you as you made it all the way to the table where she awaited you. A firm nod was all her response as she lowered her eyes to grab one of the cups, her chin always lifted. "You never answered my question." she said while pouring the hot contents of the pot on her cup.

"What question?" you asked in a whisper.

She lifted her eyes to meet yours, motioning to the tray with one hand "Would you like some tea?" she asked.

Your stomach turned at her words. Her pretend kindness towards you, polite words with shadows dancing around them, it made you sick. Knowing what Sirius had confided in you about her, your own assumptions to Regulus' behaviour when you both were at Hogwarts, what she had shown you with just a couple of hours of being in her presence. A shapeshifter, hidden from all who were near her, maybe even herself.

"No, thank you." you answered politely.

She clicked her spoon on the brim of her cup, placing it over a small cloth as she nodded in acknowledgement. "You are," she paused, her eyes wandering for a moment in her mind "Unique." she settled to say. "Not many have managed to capture the attention of both my children. Sirius, I am not surprised, you are very much like him even if you didn't see it yourself."

"We are not similar." you commented shyly, not wanting to let many words out to her.

She chuckled lightly, picking up the plate where her cup rested "I'm his mother." she reminded you, her eyes roaming from your eyes down to your middle and up again "I believe I know what I'm talking about."

Your nose twitched up, lips in a thin line "And do you know your son at all?" you asked sharply, not being able to swallow your words but just to modify them, excluding Regulus from your own question.

Her previous chuckles turned amused, the glint in her eyes brighter as she settled her plate down "Look at you, dear." she pointed with her hand "You already sound just like him. Speaking out of place and with the same defiance only he could muster."

You looked down at yourself with fragile confidence, noticing how she spoke truth with her words. You were not the same you once had been, actions you would have never dared to do now seemed like a logical possibility.

"Again, I'm not surprised. Sirius has always held himself to be the best, it is fitting that he found someone who reminded him of what he believes are his better traits. But Regulus?" she said, raising her eyebrow.

You looked to the side, thinking "Regulus and I found company in each other. We have similar interests." you argued, not looking too deep into your answer.

"It's more than that." she said surely, standing from her seat as you did the same. "You've proven that neither you nor Regulus would deliver answers willingly, so I will do what I must."

You backed away as she rounded the table to your side, making you take one step back every time she took one forward.

"No." you muttered, your back hitting the warm stone on the side of the fireplace "Don't come any closer."

"You should've had some of that tea," she said, one step from you "I've been told it's incredibly calming." she raised her wand, facing your eyes as your words got stuck on your throat "Legilimens."

*******

As soon as the door clicked, Regulus rushed to the stairs. Taking two steps at a time, he ended up in front of the closed door you had been hours ago. His voice boomed in the walls as he called for Kreacher, the elf appearing in front of him a fraction of second after his name had left Regulus' lips.

"Master Regulus called for Kreacher." he said, lowering his head as a form of greeting.

"Yes. Open the door." he asked, pointing quickly to it.

Kreacher hesitated, taking short steps to the door as he placed his hand over it "Mistress asked that Master Sirius remained in his bedroom until the guests arrived." he said, looking up at Regulus.

Regulus nodded, his patience running low as he felt like fire could be summoned from his hands "And I'm asking you to open it. Please." he added, cocking his head to the door.

Kreacher didn't ask again, didn't need to be told twice when his palm came flat on the wooden door, lifting the protection that prohibited anyone from going in or out of the room.

Regulus took the knob, opening the door with one single push of it. He stepped aside, to the right just outside the room where the wall separated the two spaces. Not one second later Sirius burst out of the room, tripping over the extended leg of his brother. He landed over his forearms, the fast reflexes constantly running from other people left of him always a blessing to his face. Only now, his face wore a frown mixed with a look of annoyance.

Unlike his brother, Regulus had a smug look on his face, looking down to his form on the ground with a smile. He was enjoying the moment for one more second.

"C'mon." he muttered, grabbing the back of Sirius' jacket as he dragged him back to the room, forcing him to stumble inside the room as he let go of him once he could safely close the door.

"You little-" Sirius mumbled, taking one swing of his arm.

Regulus barely caught his fist, both hands stopping his brother's force just inches from his face. He sneaked from the back of his hold, a flat look on his face "You're the one who taught Y/N how to throw a punch, aren't you?"

Sirius pulled back from him, muttering under his breath with a glare.

Regulus clenched his jaw at the sight of the room, only then noticing the mess it was left of. Everything that could be broken was now shattered on the ground, lamps, small figurines, portraits. The sheets and covers of the bed remained on top of the mattress, torn to shreds like a wild animal had been there. He had managed to push the wardrobe to the floor, by the looks of it in a not so kind way, he was sure there were footprints on the back of furniture.

"What is Merlin's name?" Regulus muttered, picking up one pillow from the floor as he threw it back on the bed, leaving a trail of all the stuffing that came from the tears on the fabric. "What did you do?" he asked.

"Using my time wisely." he bickered, kicking one of the many things on the floor. "What are you doing here? Don't you have a dinner party to get ready for?"

"Sure." he answered "Or you could listen to me and ensure Y/N is safe and out of here."

Sirius snapped his attention to Regulus in an instant, walking menacingly to him "Are you threatening her?" he asked, his tongue sticking out from between his teeth, the same glare on his eyes.

Regulus blinked slowly, in awe. "She shouldn't spend so much time with you." Sirius pushed his body forward, forcing Regulus to put one hand on his chest to stop him "Easy, lover boy. Believe it or not, we're on the same side here."

"Yeah?" Sirius laughed, "And what side is that?"

"The one where Y/N and you get out of here. Soon."

Sirius frowned, looking behind Regulus to the closed door and the back at him. "I don't trust you." he said, putting the unspoken words out in the open.

"But she does, and right now she is all alone with our mother. We need to act soon." he told him, seeing as Sirius rolled his eyes and turned from him.

"I wonder who's fault it is." he sassed with a sour taste in his mouth.

Regulus only stared at him, shaking his head as he called for Kreacher to go inside the room. "I'm not explaining myself to you." Regulus muttered, waiting for Kreacher to get there. "You don't have to trust me, but right now I'm the only one who can help you and Y/N get out. Believe me when I tell you she would be out of here if she wasn't so stubborn about not leaving without you."

Sirius turned Regulus by his shoulder strongly, forcing Regulus face to him "You've had the opportunity to get her out and didn't take it?" he asked, nostrils almost flaring as his chest moved fast.

He pulled his shoulder back from his hold, never breaking his gaze "You think I haven't tried? She is as stubborn as it gets and you coming here didn't help the situation. You walked directly into a trap, don't you see?"

"Then lie to her!" Sirius whispered desperately, his hands trying to grasp on anything as they ended in fists "Lie to her again and tell her I'm not here."

Regulus ignored him, turning again to the door as he called on Kreacher again "Mother locked herself in the living room with Y/N. I don't know what she is doing and I don't know what she plans, obviously it is not good, but you have a chance of getting past her with Y/N while I distract her."

"And how am I supposed to do that?" Sirius asked with annoyance, just in time to see Kreacher walk in the door. Sirius' jaw dropped as he pointed at the door "Has that been open the entire time?" he asked.

Regulus sighed heavily, turning to Kreacher "Give Sirius his wand." he asked with a firm nod. Kreacher hesitated but didn't question any further, raising his palm up as Sirius' wand materialised in his hand.

Sirius didn't doubt to take it, rushing to the door as a hand on his chest stopped him.

"Are you gonna let me get out here or not?" he snapped, getting pushed back.

"Not yet." Regulus hissed "Mother can't see you and they're in the same room at the moment. Wait for Kreacher to come and get you, then you run."

Sirius huffed but backed away, feeling powerless. Regulus was about to walk out the door when he called "Since when Kreacher listens to you?" he asked, pointing at the small figure next to his brother.

Regulus looked down at him "Since I treat him with respect." he answered, his eyes locking on the side of his brother's boot "Don't hide your wand there."

Sirius looked at it, taking it out as he hid it on his back. The door closed with a soft thud and he immediately walked to it, trying the knob as it twisted smoothly on his hand. It was open.

*******

Your shaking form stood out from the dark floors of the living room, heavy breathing echoing the walls as your arms fought the weight of your body to push you up to your feet.

Walburga Black circled you like a hunter would its prey, the tip of her wand on the side of her cheek as she spoke out loud. "Your mother owns a bakery, a family business from what I can see." she casted her eyes down to you, stopping at your back "Your father, however, is an auror. Charming." she muttered "That complicates things. Nothing I can't solve, of course."

You came to a sitting position while lifting your head, hair sticking to the sides of your forehead "Leave them out of this." you groaned with effort, passing the exhaustion you felt for anger as you rose to your feet again "They think I'm visiting friends, they'll never learn of this."

She turned to look at you with a grin, placing a finger over her lips in thought "You're right." she admitted with a nod. "Let us continue, then." she said, pointing her wand at you before you could utter a word.

You took a sharp intake, vision blurred as you delved in the depths of your own mind. Places you never knew existed.

"Where are we, dear?" Walburga's voice came from every direction, like an echo inside your head that had managed to escape and surrounded you like a blanket in winter. It brought no warmth, though. You compared it to the voice of your own mother, something bright and full of love that made you feel safe, even Mia's voice who immediately warmed you inside, making you reach for that first hug she gave you the moment you met her. The voice now calling to you felt like a storm had swallowed you, you couldn't tell the direction it came from and every time you turned to what you thought was the source, a sharp thorn was buried on your back, on your sides. It was becoming unbearable.

"Hogwarts." you breathed out after a quick scan of your surroundings. Nothing felt real, you knew it wasn't. It was all cloudy, the sharp ends of the tables in McGonagall's classroom were rounded, like fog had covered them completely. However when you reached it, it solidified under your touch. You alone gave life to your own memories.

"What else?" her voice boomed, making you cover your ears even if it was no help.

You shivered, making your neck twitch as your head tried to escape "Transfiguration class," you rushed to say, words getting stuck in your tongue "It's the first time I ever remember seeing Regulus, noticing him."

You had gotten to class early, being the first of the day. Breakfast had no appeal to you that day, you took one apple from the Great Hall and made your way to the empty classroom. Only it wasn't empty. A dark haired boy wearing Slytherin robes was sitting at the far end of the classroom, hiding in the only shadow the sun filled room offered. You made nothing of it, walking directly to your usual seat. There was probably still half an hour left for the class to begin, and even if you didn't want it to affect you, his presence was strong, making you hyper aware of it each bite you took of your apple, each page you passed of your book, every breath you took a little too loudly. It wasn't until the rest of the students started to flood the classroom, just to your right where he had been sitting that you heard his name.

"Hey Black, you missed breakfast." another Slytherin said, taking a seat next to him "You already looked like a bloody skeleton, maybe get some food in you to make you more appealing to the eye."

The comment made your eyes widen, perking your ears up to listen more closely.

"At least I have a way of fixing my not so appealing appearance, unlike you. I'm afraid polyjuice potion might be your only hope." he answered, not lifting his eyes from the parchment in his hands.

The push in your chest was felt heavily, knocking the breath out of your lungs as you tumbled to your knees once more. You didn't have a voice to ask her to stop, no strength to push you back on your feet. The intrusion on your mind drained you, stripped you to your bones with nothing to protect you. You were bare to her will.

"What was it that made you notice him just then?" she asked, kneeling to your height as she held your face by the chin.

"I don't know." you whispered in a string of voice.

She hummed disapprovingly, pushing your face to the side "I'll guess we'll have to keep looking."

You barely lifted your head, face contorted in pain "No-"

The floor disappeared underneath you and you were falling again.

Music started to play, reaching your ears in soft waves as you came to your senses. You looked around you with a frown, the piercing cold moving your attention to your own body. It looked the same as you and still so different, the clothing you wore bringing back the memories like a heavy drop as you spun in your spot. "No." you mumbled at the sight of the gardens completely covered in snow, the stone fountain with its water frozen, the twinkling lights that shone from the inside of the windows.

"Ready?" you heard a voice say, noticing how your hand had been clutched to another the entire time. You turned immediately, seeing Regulus standing before you with a soft smile. When you didn't answer he raised both his eyebrows in question.

Your voice sounded in answer "Ready." you said, taking his other hand.

He nodded, moving both your hands around his neck as his arms snaked your middle, holding you close to him. Your chin was carefully placed over his shoulder, his cheek resting lazily on the side of your head as he swayed you both in the middle of the freezing night, the distant tune of the soft song inside the Great Hall providing enough ambience.

"When this is all over, we should run away." he said softly in your ear, words meant only for you "Go someplace far from here, where no one knows who we are."

You chuckled softly, "We are only third years. You're already thinking about graduating?"

"Just planning ahead." he mumbled, holding you tightly and capturing your full attention "You know I love you, right?" he asked.

You frowned, tensing a little on his hold as you moved your head back and looking directly at him, his eyes in the distance. "Yeah?" you smiled.

He nodded slowly "You're what I believe love feels like. Unexpected but welcomed," he began to explain "A partner in crime but also a confider, a person you don't mind holding even when you detest closeness. I've started to associate warmth with you even when your hands are always cold, I believe it's because of those bloody ovens you always have running and that you insist on dragging me to. You say that it's because I should live a little and I still fail to see how baking in the middle of the night is living, but it doesn't matter because you alone give enough life to-"

"Stop!" you cried, surging back from the memories as you doubled yourself to your side, breathing with difficulty as you watched Walburga.

She had cursed under her breath as she rose to her full height, turning her back harshly on you. She began to pace, her grip tight on her wand as you hoped she would break it with such force. "That cursed child." she flared, turning with wild eyes at the sounds of your low complaints. She marched to you, lowering herself to see you eye to eye. "You're proving to be a bigger issue than I anticipated, dear." she spat the name, tilting her head as you fell to your forearms. "What else has he done to protect you? What lies?" she shrieked, pointing her wand just below your chin.

She moved through your mind with stealth and unnerving speed. Your head pounded with her voice, her own thoughts and emotions bleeding right into you. Distant memories, fragments of the recent months of your life surfacing in all forms and shapes.

Félix tugging on your sleeve to get your attention. His soft laughs as you ran to hug him. You could hear James calling you by his chosen nickname for you. Being lifted up in the air by the waist. Remus stood next to you, his arm brushing against yours as the distant groans from James and Sirius brought the image of them struggling on the ground. "Are those your best friends?" "Is that your boyfriend?". His chuckles. Hogwarts' hall to the Astronomy tower with muffled words and stolen cookies from your bag. The shaky feeling you were being followed. Lily's laughter. Your mother squeals as you let her know you had a boyfriend. Her crushing hug. Your father's voice takes you by surprise. His promise to tell you about his years at Hogwarts. Euphemia's Potter bright smile. Sirius' smile while he slept. The sinking feeling on your stomach. Your hands rubbing on the sides of your arms. Arguing. The air on your face as you burst out laughing, a warm hand around yours. Guilt. The bursting feeling of your heart inside your chest. Regulus standing in front of Professor McGonagall's desk. The sweet scent of the flowers that bloom in your secret hideout. A scratchy feeling on your cheek from clothing. Overwhelming realisation. Denial. "I love you." said in an impulsive manner. Happiness. The faint smell of red velvet cookies. Walburga Black's voice screaming. Tears running down your face. "I don't want you to feel like you are replacing Regulus in any way." Your body is shivering. Regulus.

"Stop fighting me!" Walburga warned, her voice piercing your ears. "It will only be worse for you."

You screamed, loud and raw. Surging to a sitting position with the adrenaline running faster through your veins. Your eyes were wide, looking for a sense of reality on the walls that you now dreaded.

"I'll take it is the first time you've been under this practice." she murmured, the back of her head to you, some of the hair that had been tucked carefully in her head now loose and hanging close her neck. "You have a strong will. Not many can fight it without former practice."

You breathed consciously, air flowing out of your mouth as you tried to calm the pounding of your heart against your chest. "Those memories are not for you to see." you managed to say in an almost even voice "Not one."

She glanced at you with a firm look, ignoring your attempts to move and stand "It's a pity." she said, making you frown at the sincere tone her voice took as she turned at you "If you weren't a half-blood you would be a good prospect for marriage for one of my children. I would welcome you into our family with open arms."

You were leaning on the wall, supporting your entire weight on it as you scoffed, a sly smile on your face. It was reckless, you knew it, but you couldn't help yourself. "Oh, Mrs. Black." you sardonically said "Both of your children love me. I might not marry Sirius but I will always be a part of Regulus' life, and there is nothing you can do about it."

Her entire face fell, her features hardening with a coldness unique to her. She lifted her wand, securing her grip around it.

You didn't back away but stood taller. You weren't ready for what came next.

"Crucio." she whispered.

A scream tore from your insides all the way to your mouth. You couldn't stop your fall as your body dropped with all of its weight, every single nerve suddenly awakened and aware of the invisible force in which your body was submerged. Tears streamed down your face, your screams lowered to silent cries and whimpers from its exhaustion.

It felt like you fell all over again when she stopped, your tense body falling numb on the floor with a loud cry from you. The sound of her heeled boots on the floor grew nearer to you, making you roll to your side. The fabrics of her skirt fell over your body as she kneeled on your side, her hand caressing the side of your face as she moved the hair out of your face. "Not if I can help it, dear." she whispered.

"Mistress." you heard Kreacher call.

"What?" she snapped, still looking down at you with cold rage.

"Your guests have arrived." he announced.

She stood effortlessly, turning to the door.

"The girl, Mistress." Kreacher asked "Should I take her to another room?"

Walburga stopped at the door, turning her head over her shoulder while looking at the room "Leave her." she said, motioning to the door "Close the door, too. We wouldn't want anyone to see such a horrible sight."

"Of course, Mistress."

*******

Sirius sat on the edge of his destroyed bed, leg trapped in a bouncing loop as he alternated between sitting down, pacing and punching whatever object crossed his path.

He couldn't think, mind set in one thought alone, you. He had been naive to think you would let the matter go like it was nothing, like the letter hadn't been sent by Regulus himself. James had been right, he should've at least accompanied you, not even agree with it but be there with you. He knew the dangers it involved and he had let you go like it was walking around the park. He should've known better.

A sharp sound crossed the room, Kreacher walking to him with his hands clasped in front of his chest.

"Well?" Sirius asked.

"Our Mistress is currently with her guests and Master Regulus in the Dining Hall." he informed, barely moving to the side when Sirius ran to the door. "Master Sirius." Kreacher called while struggling to keep up with him. Sirius never stopped, didn't wait as he motioned for Krecaher to keep talking. He had turned the stairs, Krecaher barely starting to descend when Sirius turned to the elf, eye to eye through the railing "The half-blood girl is in a bad state. Kreacher tried to ensure her well-being like Master Regulus instructed Kreacher but failed still."

"What do you mean bad state?" Sirius asked shakily, turning to Kreacher completely.

Kreacher grumbled under his breath, fumbling with the foldings of his clothing "The half-blood is weak. Even if she wakes up, Kreacher does not believe she will be able to walk."

Sirius turned to the laughter coming from downstairs, the pretend chuckle someone makes to a bad joke, one he grew up listening to. He shook his head, his eyes filling with determination "I'll carry her out of here if I have to." he said "Is the door open?"

Kreacher lowered his head in a gentle nod "As Master Regulus requested."

Sirius turned back to the stairs, taking light steps down as he neared the main hall of the house. He didn't stop to question the lingering look of Kreacher on him, nor did he have the chance as the sharp sound of the elf pointed he was gone. He didn't have time.

He turned to the right, a careful glance at the end of the hall, there the orange light casted by an incredible amount of candles let the shadows of the people inside the room be seen by him. He didn't wait to see if someone would come out or someone would return to the room, stepping closer to the main living room with a grace and care no one had seen Sirius Black use in years.

The door opened with ease, pushing it just enough to slip himself inside. When the door was closed he let out a shaky breath, resting his back against it with a drop of relief. One step closer to being gone.

He pushed himself to move. The room was uncomfortably dark, he could not see his own feet as he took soft steps, calling your name in whispers as he checked in the couches. It was warm, a contrast to the lighting as he grew nearer to the fireplace and the remnants of wood that still shone with the tiniest of sparks. It wasn't until his heart started to hit harder against his chest and a sinking feeling took over him that he pulled his wand from his back, casting Lumos as he scolded himself for trusting on his brother and Kreacher. The sight before him made him wish they had betrayed him again.

"Love?"

He threw himself on the ground, landing next to you with his entire body shaking. His hands found yours, lifting your arms to check on your sides, following the trail of your body up to your face where he cupped your cheeks, his fingers drumming nervously on your face as he called your name. "Wake up, love. Wake up." he whispered desperately, moving you so he was holding you in his arms "Y/N." he said in, moving his face to look at your closed eyes. Scanning your face, you looked stressed even then, a small trail of blood running down your nose.

A single tear ran down Sirius' face, pressing his eyes shut as he rocked you both on the spot, calling your name. His hold became tighter, his face nuzzled on your head.

A soft groan left your lips and Sirius separated himself enough from you to look at you. A breathless laugh leaving him as he pressed a kiss to your forehead.

You groaned again, face contorted in pain as you tried to move. "Sirius?" you asked, voice hoarse. You had been sure you heard his voice, the distant melody a sound from your dreams. Then the pain was dropped on your body, all at once, and you knew it wasn't a dream.

"I'm here, Y/N." he said, caressing the side of your cheek.

Your eyes snapped open, moving instinctively to his chest as you faced your right with wide eyes.

"What is it?" he asked, looking in the direction of your eyes.

You shakily scanned the room, turning to him "Nothing." you murmured, trying to push your body up. You cried, letting your body drop on Sirius' hold. "Ouch." you said with a shiver.

"C'mon." Sirius said, placing your arms around his neck "We're getting out of here." his arm went beneath your legs and to your back, yet your hold on his neck was loose. "Y/N." he called when you didn't hold onto him.

"You're not carrying me out of here." you mumbled, "Just help me to my feet."

"Can you walk?" he asked, doing as you said. His arm never left your waist, your own arm around his shoulders for support.

You tried your weight on your feet, an uncertainty laced on your eyes "Yeah." you answered, taking one step after the other. You could not say it felt like a dream, but it was bearable and you could keep up with Sirius.

He led you to the door, opening it softly as he took a look on both ends. It was empty but noise could be heard, the dinner party. Luckily, you both were directed in the opposite direction of the crowd, Sirius supporting you through the long walk of the hall.

"You'll see, love." Sirius whispered, you could barely make out his words "Those idiots we call friends are just outside waiting for us. We had to get Lily to drive but she drives as fast as Prongs and I fly on our brooms, you'll be home in no time."

"I don't want to go home." you answered, probably not the time to say it but you had to get it out "I don't want mum and dad to see me like this."

He nodded, "Whatever you want, we can-"

But suddenly you both froze, glancing over your shoulders to the end of the hall. The dancing light of the candles was blown instantly, the shadows overtaking it as the voices started to grow closer.

"Shit." Sirius mumbled, picking you up in his arms as he got you inside the nearest room. He lowered you both to the ground, holding you against his chest. "Shhhh, shhhh." he uttered softly, listening closely.

You didn't do anything, didn't dare to. Staring at the wall while you focused on the different faces on the wallpaper. Suddenly the faces started to become familiar, even more as you followed the vines that connected one another. Names that woke something in your mind, faces that you had seen before. Bellatrix. Narcissa. You had heard those around school. Then you noticed them on the side, grey eyes and black hair. Sirius and Regulus.

You didn't have to look up to see who was there. She had just entered the room, the live version of Walburga Black. Only, she was smiling.

"My son." She introduced with an extended hand towards him, several people walking from behind her, cloaks thrown over their shoulders, masks over their faces but full focus on the two of you on the floor. "And the half-blood, proof of his worth to you."

Sirius immediately moved in front of you, his body blocking you from their gazes. They tilted their heads in terrifying sync, the secure hold of Sirius' arm around you on his back a disagreement to what they have been promised.

"Don't let his behaviour deceive you." Walburga intervened, moving towards you as Sirius pushed himself to his feet, a glare on his eyes as his mother placed a hand over his shoulder "He is shy with his work but excels at it."

"Stop this." he hissed, his eyes locked on her.

Her grin only widened, moving her dress so you could be more visible. "Only a couple of hours and he's left the girl even more useless than before."

Their chuckles rose on the room like a wave, only to be silenced with might. "No, he didn't." Regulus' voice was heard clearly and even despite his lower tone, barely one step inside the room as he only walked further inside, looking at Sirius and then at his mother with coldness.

"Regulus." Walburga snapped, her eyes threatening as they followed her younger son.

"We have all been lied to." he said, walking in front of them, his eyes briefly meeting you on the floor as he turned and looked at all of the masked faces before him. "As you may know my father is not here, all responsibility to the Dark Lord fell on my blessed mother. And he," he said, turning to point at Sirius "took advantage of it. I will not let him stain our family's name by being a traitor to our blood. I will not let him take on the Dark Lord's allegiance just to be a spy."

Walburgas glare was potent on his back, yours and Sirius lingering stare too. He managed to ignore them all.

"What do you mean, boy?" a femenine voice asked.

Regulus then turned to Sirius, yet his eyes landed on you "It pains me to say that my brother is not who he would have us believe he is. He lied to my dear mother, deceived my father, became a role model to me. Almost fools all of you." he whispered the last part, turning his gaze from you "It was I who handled the half- blood girl."

Walburga called her sons names again, but Regulus only took it for his use "It is only right that we all know the truth, for the world the Dark Lord would give us. Clean of all people of their likes."

Sirius had helped you to your feet again, shaking in pain and confusion as he stole glances from every one who moved, even soft growls as he felt eyes being placed on you.

One by one, the masked people took their wands out, crossing it across their faces with graceful movements as their faces surged with amused looks on them. The same that had directed herself to Regulus spoke to Walburga "Well?" she asked with a grin.

Walburga's face had hardened long ago, her eyes cold and clenched jaw something to go by. But she was no one to stay silent, her face scrunched in anger as she pulled her wand from her sleeve. "No son of mine would betray us like this." she flared, marching to the wall with her wand secured on her grasp. She stood just before the image of Sirius, turning her face to him "He is no son of mine." She pointed her wand at his picture, her wand held beside it "Incendio." she said, the bright flame coming to life as she controlled its reaches, handling it until the wall turned black. With a sharp turn to Sirius her glare was cold "Leave this house." she ordered.

The girl chuckled with gleaming eyes, palm out to stop Sirius as she swayed her way to Regulus "You would give away your own blood for the Dark Lord?" she asks with a pout, her cheeks resting on the tip of her wand. Regulus held her gaze with calm, not saying anything as her grin widened "I'm certain he would be pleased to meet you, cousin."

"No!" you yelled, barely making it one step forward when Sirius caught you from falling and making it farther away. You struggled on his grasp, pushing his hands from your waist as you looked at up with pleading eyes "Regulus, no. Please." you whispered.

Regulus' gaze turned to you, just as the girl in front of him. She blew air out of her mouth, flying a curl out of her face "What about them?" she asked with a point of her wand, turning to him again "Your choice. Let's see what our star can do." she winked in his direction, moving back to the line of people as she made faces at them.

"The girl can barely stand." one of the noted with disinterest.

"I'm sure the oldest Black can be of some use." another added.

"Examples." Regulus stated flatly, glancing between both of you "Let me make an example of what we do to blood-traitors and those who do not meet the Dark Lord's expectatives."

Sirius would have thrown himself on Regulus then if he wasn't holding you, the push you felt him do enough to make you react and realise this was real life. The voices became clear around, not muffled or blurred. There was mischief and glee all around you, yet you did not feel it.

"I trusted you." you whispered to Regulus, yet it captured the attention of everyone in the room, expectant of his answer.

He was looking at you, void and empty, when he walked near you. Sirius pulled you back, earning a warning glance from Regulus. His lips twitched in some sort of apologetic smile, the ghost of what you think one would look like. "Maybe that was your first mistake." he said, turning sharply from you as he called Kreacher with a hand lifted in the air.

Sirius was screaming at him, his hold on you light as you stared at Regulus and he stared at you. Everything in you felt numb. You were light, as if you would begin to float at any given moment. The sound was blurred again. Everything was out of focus but him.

"Take them to the basement." Regulus ordered "I'm not done with them."

Kreacher gave a subtle bow and turned to you both, holding onto the sleeve of your jacket. Just then, before Kreacher snapped his fingers, you saw it clearly. Regulus winked at you. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.7K 931 17
Sirius Black has been living with the Potter's for nearly 2 years and is constantly filled with guilt and regret about leaving Regulus behind. In the...
11K 431 30
Y/n has been best friends with the mauraders since first year, and she couldn't have asked for a better group of friends. But one day, third year, w...
1.2M 51.4K 40
Finn Lynch lives a quiet, tranquil life in a rural village in the mountains. Her life may lack spontaneity and excitement, but at least it's peaceful...
25.4K 589 54
Liza Prewett has enough to consider without involving the Marauders in her life. Starting her sixth year, she's struggling to hold together her frien...