Greetings, Ninth Uncle

By Xxiant

Photo and Story Not Mine - for offline reading purposes only. Credits to the rightful owner Cheng Yujin was t... More

Ch.1 - Side Character
Ch.2 - Canceling the Engagement
Ch.3 - Ninth Uncle
Ch.4 - The Crown Prince
Ch.5 - To Complain Her Grievances
Ch.6 - Uncle and Niece
Ch.7 - To Lift Out a Troublesome Situation
Ch.8 - Dissension
Ch.9 - The Past
Ch.10 - The Duke Manor
Ch.11 - Using the Same Tactic Twice
Ch.12 - Longevity Feast
Ch.13 - Injured
Ch.14 - Taboo Name
Ch.15 - Calligraphy Lesson
Ch.16 - Fake Injury
Ch.17 - Displeased
Ch.18 - Guests
Ch.19 - Old Acquaintance
Ch.20 - Tempted
Ch.21 - Birthday
Ch.22 - Marriage Proposal
Ch.23 - Identity
Ch.24 - Exposed
Ch.25 - Your Highness
Ch.26 - Choosing a Husband
Ch.27 - Dowry
Ch.28 - Younger Brother
Ch.29 - Dowry Gift
Ch.30 - Previous Life
Ch.31 - Getting Rich
Ch.32 - Mourning Period
Ch.33 - Marriage
Ch.34 - Cousin
Ch.35 - Zhuangyuan
Ch. 36 - Uncle
Ch. 37- Currying Favor
Ch. 38 - Opinion
Ch. 39 - Self-Control
Ch. 40 - Niece
Ch. 41 - Making Money
Ch. 42 - Biological Mother
Ch. 43 - Adoptive Mother
Ch. 44 - Grace of Birth
Ch. 45 - Duke
Ch. 46 - Shizi
Ch. 47 - Eavesdropping
Ch. 48 - Disciplining
Ch. 49 - Second Wife
Ch. 50 - Betrothal Gifts
Ch. 51 - To Help
Ch.52 - Implicated
Ch.53 - Cooperation
Ch.54 - Farewell
Ch.55 - Thoughts
Ch.56 - Wedding
Ch.57 - Love Rival
Ch 58 - Possesive
Ch 59 - Pressure
Ch 60 - Provocation
Ch 61 - Marriage View
Ch 62 - Return to the Natal Family
Ch 63 - Eldest Sister
Ch 63 Part 2 - Eldest Sister (II)
Ch 63 Part 3 - Eldest Sister (III)
Ch 64 - Pampering Wife
Ch 65 - Contrast
Ch 66 - The Women in the Palace
Ch 67 - Xiangji Temple
Ch 68 - Matchmaking
Ch 69 - Worth
Chapters 70 - 73
Chapters 74-76
Chapters 77 - 80
Chapters 81-83
Chapters 84 - 85
Chapters 86 - 87
Chapters 88 - 90
Chapters 91 - 93
Chapters 97 - 100
Chapters 101 - 103
Chapters 104 - 105
Chapters 106 - 108
Chapters 109 -110
Chapters 111 - 112
Chapters 113 - 114
Chapters 115 - 116
Chapters 117 - 118
Chapters 119 - 120
Chapters 121 - 122
Chapters 123 - 124
Chapters 125 - 126
Chapters 127 - 128
Chapters 129 - 130
Chapters 131 - 132
Chapter 133 - 134
Chapters 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144 - Finale

Chapters 94 - 96

3.3K 75 15
By Xxiant

Ch 94 – Shadow

Old Madam Cheng was forced to painfully 'enjoy' her granddaughter's filial piety. Fortunately, after a while, a servant came in to report that Cheng Min was back.

Old Madam Cheng's spirit instantly refreshed. Cheng Min sent a message yesterday, saying that she would take her daughter to visit Cheng family today. Old Madam Cheng had been looking forward since yesterday.

Old Madam Cheng was Cheng Min's mother. There was no reason for a mother to go out to greet her daughter. In the past, Cheng Yujin was just a junior. In order to please Old Madam Cheng, she often waited for Cheng Min's carriage at the second gate early in the morning. But now, even after hearing that Cheng Min had arrived, she merely leaned her body slightly and nodded in greeting when Cheng Min's group entered the door: "Aunt, biao younger sister."

It was rare for Cheng Min to return to her natal home. She was delighted upon seeing Cheng Yujin and was about to come forward to talk to her when she saw four women, dressed in senior female officials' attire, stood inside the room. The smile on Cheng Min's face stiffened, and her steps immediately paused.

Right. Cheng Yujin had been engaged to the Crown Prince as the Crown Princess, and there were naturally female officials by her side to teach her etiquettes and rules.

Because of the presence of the female officials, the originally warm family reunion instantly became rigid and restrained. Cheng Min had been living comfortably as the second madam of a duke manor for so many years. Her muscles and bones had long been relaxed, not at all could be compared to young girls fresh from etiquette lessons. After Cheng Min said some awkward greetings, she didn't know what more to say. With female officials standing menacingly in front, even if she wanted to say a few words to Cheng Yujin in private, she was unable to.

Even Cheng Min and Old Madam Cheng couldn't have a comfortable chat between mother and daughter. How could they dare to talk about trivial household matters in front of people from the palace? Cheng Min said a few words dryly, but soon fell silent again, unsure what topic she could start. She pondered for a while before turning at the group of girls she brought from Chang Duke Manor: "Quickly come here. I always told you girls to learn more from eldest girl, didn't I? Now your cousin has become the Crown Princess. Her manner and etiquette are first-class. Why don't you hurry to come here and learn from her?"

This was the real reason for Cheng Min's visit today. When news came out that Yichun Marquis Manor's eldest daughter had become the crown princess, Chang Duke Manor's people almost dropped their jaws in shock. But the close in-law relationship between the two families couldn't be left unused. As soon as they found an opportunity, Xu family hurriedly sent Cheng Min back to visit her natal home, bringing with her a handful of Xu daughters so they could get acquainted with their Crown Princess cousin.

Besides Cheng Min's biological daughter Xu Nianchun, there was also her shu daughter Xu Wanchun and the eldest branch's shu daughter Xu Guchun; all tagged along.

The girls had been briefed beforehand. Once given the cue, Xu Nianchun led her sisters, and they greeted Cheng Yujin one by one. Although Xu Nianchun was spoiled by her family, she was still a decent miss of a duke manor. She was frequently taken by her elders to attend various social events. Basic etiquettes like paying respect and giving a greeting were second nature to her. Even so, at this moment, she stood speechless in front of Cheng Yujin, stammered after just one sentence of greeting.

Xu Nianchun was relatively better. Her two shu sisters weren't even half as good as her. Their voices were getting smaller and smaller, and in the end, disappeared completely.

The girls couldn't be blamed for being rude. The present scene was merely too scary for them. Zheng Gugu and her three colleagues had mean faces and looked difficult to get along with. With their stern-looking appearance, they were even scarier than the strictest mamas in charge of discipline. Just by standing in their line of sight, Xu Nianchun was so nervous that her body stiffened and her tongue-tied. It was as if a ruler would hit her palm at any moment.

Seeing this, Cheng Yujin sighed secretly. These young misses were indeed pretty squeamish. Fortunately, these female officials came to 'educate' her. If they were assigned to Xu Nianchun and her sisters, how much would they suffer?

Cheng Yujin took Xu Nianchun's hand and said with a smile: "I also missed my biao sisters. Unfortunately, I can't go out and visit you. I'm very happy that you're here today. How is Old Madam Xu's health recently?"

With Cheng Yujin's lead, Xu Nianchun relaxed a lot. She replied: "My grandmother is doing well. But the weather changed fast these few days, and she is coughing a little."

"It's easy to get cold during the change of season. Last time, I made some loquat paste to clear heat and resolve toxins. The effect is pretty good. I gave some to my grandmother, and there is still one can left. Later, biao sister can bring it back to Old Madam Xu to try."

Xu Nianchun sighed in relief. She grasped the topic and asked Cheng Yujin about how to make the loquat paste. Cheng Yujin didn't hide anything and explained the method in detail. By talking about handiwork, the distance between the two cousins suddenly became very close. Even if the listener didn't understand this topic, they could always ask one or two questions. The other two shu daughters listened from the side and occasionally inserted one sentence or two.

The atmosphere in the room finally thawed, no longer as frigid as before. Xu Nianchun also regained her usual self and occasionally commented with witty words. Inward, the girl thought silently: it turned out that this was the gap between her and biao sister Jin.

Xu Nianchun could often say some clever and witty words that made the elders laugh, and she had always been complacent with this. But now, she realized that although she could say something witty, Cheng Yujin could make others do so.

Cheng Yujin's ability to control the flow, which she had polished for so many years, was very strong. As long as Cheng Yujin was willing, she could make any guest happy and complacent.

Xu Nianchun sighed. No wonder Cheng Yujin could be appointed as the Crown Princess. Their age was not much different, but their difference in ability was like earth and sky. Cheng Min used to praise Cheng Yujin in front of her children. Before, Xu Nianchun didn't care. But now, seeing a huge gap with her own eyes, she was thoroughly convinced.

A moment later, a servant woman guarding the door came in and reported: "Old Madam, Madams, Second Young Lady is here."

Because Cheng Min was visiting, Qingfu Junzhu and Ruan-shi rushed over to entertain the guests. Hearing that Cheng Yumo was also here, Ruan-shi's eyes brightened, and she couldn't wait to go out and welcome her daughter as soon as possible.

Cheng Min said with a smile: "Mother, Mo'er and I made an appointment to go home together today. After all, more people are more lively. Considering that her husband's house is nearer, I didn't expect her to arrive later than me. Don't spare her today, alright?"

The rest of womenfolks laughed softly, but Zheng Gugu.

Accompanied by her personal servant girls, Cheng Yumo came in. Everyone turned their eyes to the door, preparing to welcome her. But Zheng Gugu stood in front of Cheng Yujin and said, "Eldest Miss, you haven't finished copying today's Domestic Lesson."

The laughter in the room suddenly stopped. Cheng Yumo had just entered the room, but upon seeing the frozen atmosphere, she stopped by the door and stared at the people inside.

Cheng Yujin was a little annoyed. Urging her to leave in front of so many people, this Zheng Gugu apparently wanted to make her lose her face on purpose. If she, the future Crown Princess, stood up and left the family gathering with just one word from a female official, what would the rest of the Cheng family think? After Cheng Min and Cheng Yumo returned to their homes, what would Xu family and Huo family think?

If it was normal time, it wasn't impossible for Cheng Yujin to follow the current and push the boat with the water. Anyway, it was true that she had to finish the copy sooner or later, and there was no need to deliberately confront the female officials sent by the palace. But there were so many eyes here, and Cheng Yujin must fight back for her face.

She could lose anything but the face. She was the model of high-ranking family daughters in the capital and also the role model for her clan brothers and sisters. How could she allow herself to be toppled from the pedestal and be oppressed like a mere mortal? Even if she had to fight by tooth and nail, she must live up to her reputation.

Cheng Yujin did not move. She folded her hands in front of her abdomen and said, "Filial piety is the root of all virtues. Serve your in-laws as you serve your own parents. Similarly, how I treat my younger siblings is also how I will treat my future husband's younger siblings. Today, my aunt and second sister are visiting their natal home. If I go back without properly entertaining them, how would I treat the princesses in the palace after I got married?"

This again. Zheng Gugu had a nauseous reflex when she heard these words again. The saying of 'A woman must serve her parents-in-law as she serves her parents' was originally meant to control women, but now Cheng Yujin used it to her own advantage. It was the first time Zheng Gugu knew that the Four Books for Women could be used this way, and she was very angry at Cheng Yujin. However, none of Cheng Yujin's words were incorrect. Cheng Yujin cited old classics to support her cause, and rebutting her was equal to disproving the wisdom of the great sage. Even if Chang Yujin's opponents were angered to death, they could do nothing to her.

Zheng Gugu held back her anger and said, "Cheng family's second young lady is Marchioness Jingyong. It's not proper for Eldest Miss to see her."

Once this sentence came out, almost all people in the room had their complexions changed. What Zheng Gugu alluded was that Cheng Yujin had once engaged to Marquis Jingyong. Imperial family women naturally had to be careful of their image, but it was not forbidden for them to see their ex-fiance's family. However, this matter was very delicate. Said nicely, and the Crown Princess just happened to see a family member of a court official. Said badly, and the Crown Princess could be accused of promiscuousness.

None of Cheng family's people had a good face. This was not a joke, but a serious crime involving the whole family. It was very vicious for Zheng Gugu to bring it up.

Cheng Yujin didn't even look flustered as she replied: "Yes. My second sister is married to the Huo family, who holds the title of Marquis Jingyong. I'm going to see my own younger sister, is there any problem?"

Zheng Gugu increased her tone: "Eldest Miss, that's Huo family."

"Yes. My second sister's husband, and also my brother-in-law." Cheng Yujin stared straight into Zheng Gugu's eyes. "Is there any problem with Huo family?"

Xu family's three girls were too scared to speak. Xu Nianchun held her breath subconsciously. She looked at Cheng Yujin's calm face, then secretly glanced at the Gugu whose face was as dark as the bottom of a pot. At this moment, her admiration of Cheng Yujin reached its peak, almost to the point of worship.

Zheng Gugu was furious. The implied meaning of her words was apparent. Cheng Yujin had once engaged to Huo family, and it wasn't proper for her to see a member of the Huo family again. However, relying on the fact that Zheng Gugu didn't dare to speak openly, Cheng Yujin pretended to not understand, and kept talking about younger sister this and brother-in-law that. Zheng Gugu was fuming with anger, but she truly didn't dare to speak openly about Cheng Yujin's past engagement.

Cheng Yujin straightened her back. Her eyes looked straight into Zheng Gugu, who stood with a gloomy face and locked in a stalemate with her.

Seeing this situation, another female official silently glanced at Cheng Yujin before stepping forward and pulled Zheng Gugu's sleeve. "Since Miss Cheng said so, we can only obey. As servants, following the master's orders is our top priority. Although we are here to teach Miss Cheng, we shouldn't violate a servant's taboo."

This Gugu's meaning was obvious. Cheng Yujin was the Crown Princess appointed by the Emperor. No matter what reason the Crown Prince had to marry the daughter of Cheng family, as long as Cheng Yujin was not abandoned, she would enjoy the rights and respect a crown princess had. No mere female officials dared to talk about the personal affairs of an imperial family member, unless they were seeking death. If this matter reached the Crown Prince's ears, none of them would survive.

Having been suppressed by her colleague's warning, Zheng Gugu was forced to bow her head and apologized: "This servant has overstepped. Please give me a punishment."

Cheng Yujin replied: "Gugu, the four of you made a special trip from the palace to teach me etiquette and rules. I am extremely grateful. How can I punish you? Besides, you are also people sent by Her Majesty the Empress. Her Majesty is in charge of the six palaces and its personnel, with clear rules for rewards and punishments. Since you are people by Her Majesty's side, Gugu naturally knows what you can and cannot say."

The corner of Zheng Gugu's mouth tightened, but she lowered her head and said, "Miss is right."

The brief but thrilling confrontation finally came to an end. Many people in the room, including the servants, found themselves soaked in a cold sweat.

When Cheng Yujin was talking to Zheng Gugu, Cheng Yumo stood in front of the door. Her eyes were wide open, staring at a loss at the situation inside the room. After the confrontation ended, everyone finally had the time to welcome Cheng Yumo and prepare a seat for her.

Even though the Gugu had taken a step back, everyone still had lingering fear, and no one dared to speak loudly. Cheng Yumo was left in the air for a long time, but everyone still treated her half-heartedly even after she was seated. She was secretly fuming.

The female official's attack just now was aimed at Huo family. Cheng Yumo, as Huo family's daughter-in-law, naturally felt awkward and uncomfortable.

Zheng Gugu lost her face in front of so many people. Holding such a grudge in her heart, she deliberately saved up her energy, waiting for the opportunity to retaliate. Zheng Gugu's eyes suddenly focused. Realizing that Cheng Yujin had just made a mistake, she jumped out in a hurry: "Miss Cheng, your tea etiquette just now was wrong."

As soon as the words fell, all voices disappeared, and the room fell into total silence. Cheng Yujin calmly asked: "Oh? Which part did I do wrong?"

"When Miss Cheng offered tea for Old Madam Cheng just now, you lacked etiquette and being disrespectful."

Cheng Yujin just gave an "Oh," nodded slowly, stepped aside, and gestured for Zheng Gugu to come forward: "Forgive me for being stupid, but I don't know where I did wrong. Please show me an example."

Zheng Gugu snorted disdainfully. Trying to use this trick to suppress her? This Eldest Miss Cheng truly underestimated a senior female official who specialized in teaching etiquette. Zheng Gugu came forward and took a teacup on the tray, then began to demonstrate the standard tea etiquette.

Another female official moved her lips, trying to stop her colleague. But Zheng Gugu was faster and had stepped forward before she could stop her. Seeing this, the female official quietly shook her head and sighed silently.

After Zheng Gugu finished her demonstration, she was very proud. She was sure that this time, Cheng Yujin had fallen into her hands. However, Cheng Yujin suddenly said, "Please stop. And do not let go of your hands."

Zheng Gugu was taken aback; her posture subconsciously stiffened. When the reaction came to her, she was furious. Cheng Yujin dared! In the past, it was always her who ordered others to stop and then pointed their mistakes one by one. Now, a little girl like Cheng Yujin dared to do the same to her?

Zheng Gugu was very angry, but Cheng Yujin didn't care. She looked around and sighed, as if she wanted to talk, but was hesitant to embarrass the other party.

A fire ignited in Zheng Gugu's heart. She said tartly: "Miss Cheng, if you have something to say, just speak it. Why do you sigh?"

"Since Zheng Gugu has said so, then please excuse my rudeness." Cheng Yujin pursed her lips slightly and then pointed her fingers at Zheng Gugu's elbow, forearm, and back. She said: "When offering tea to the elders, one must step forward quickly and step back slowly. The eyes must be half-dropped, but the back must not arch. The neck must also be lowered but not folded. Gugu, your back just now was bent down, which is not conforming to the etiquette rules. Also, your movement when placing the teacup was wrong. Instead of raising your arm, you directly placed the teacup in front of the elder, which is extremely disrespectful."

Zheng Gugu couldn't believe it: "You are lecturing me in etiquette?"

"Yes." Cheng Yujin smiled lightly and then turned to look at the three remaining female official. "Three Gugus, can you kindly tell us whether what I just said was correct or not?"

The other three were hesitant, but they finally said with a sigh: "Eldest Miss Cheng is correct."

Zheng Gugu suddenly turned red all over. She always put on the aura of someone in charge of teaching etiquette and had used her authority to scold and beat many draft girls on the ground of 'education.' However, it was impossible for her to master every single etiquette by the book, so it was not strange that there were some aspects where she wasn't perfect. Just now, it wasn't that Cheng Yujin was wrong, but Zheng Gugu judged Cheng Yujin to be wrong by her own standards.

Zheng Gugu had lost a great amount of face. Even so, she was still someone who came from the palace, so she didn't lose herself on the spot. After uttering an apology, she stepped aside and stood silently. Although she didn't lose her final decency, she also didn't dare to speak anymore.

Xu Nianchun was utterly amazed. So it turned out that there were so many rules just to offer a cup of tea! The girl didn't know which was more terrifying: the imperial family and their extremely detailed rules, or Cheng Yujin's inhuman ability.

Biao sister Jin actually pointed out the mistakes made by a palace Gugu! Xu Nianchun suddenly felt extremely fortunate. Fortunately, Cheng Yujin was only her biao sister, not a clan sister, let alone a sister from the same parents. If she was to face such a perfect sister day in and day out, she would be too stifled to even take a breath.

There were many others who had the same thoughts as Xu Nianchun. Everyone was amazed at Cheng Yujin and couldn't help casting sympathetic glances at Cheng Yumo. Cheng Yumo lowered her eyes. Her face was cold and without expression, but her heart was raging tumultuously.

Everyone's eyes at this moment seemed to be a repeat of her nightmare. She had been living under Cheng Yujin's shadow for her whole previous life. This time, she had been born again, and everything obviously had changed. Why was it still like this?

Ch 95 – End of Mourning Period

Cheng Yujin didn't have much free time. She sat with Cheng Min and Cheng Yumo for a while before going back to continue her wedding preparation.

After Cheng Yujin and her entourage left, everyone finally dared to speak loudly.

After making sure that those people were no longer here, Xu Nianchun quietly said to her mother Cheng Min: "Mother, biao sister Jin is truly amazing. Even female officials from the palace don't dare to do anything to her. She blatantly pointed the female official's mistakes and gave the gugu no face at all."

In Xu Nianchun's eyes, the palace and its people were the most powerful and sacred existence. Her eldest sister from her uncle's family entered the palace as Shu Consort. Every year on the Mid-Autumn and Lantern Festival, Xu family would receive the lanterns sent by Shu Consort from the palace. For other Xu family girls, these lanterns were a great topic of interest. The palace lanterns were far more exquisite than the lanterns sold outside. These magnificent and beautiful lanterns were all Xu Nianchun's impression of the palace.

Because of Shu Consort, Xu family had always been proudful when they went out for social events. Having an eldest sister as an imperial consort was enough to make Xu Nianchun stand out among the peers in her circle.

Even though Shu Consort was not favored by the Emperor, she was still one of the four highest-ranking consorts. This position of hers was a backing for both Shu Consort herself and her natal family. Therefore, Chang Duke Manor had no regret about sending their eldest daughter to the palace. Shu Consort's biological mother, Eldest Madam Xu, always tried her best to talk to Yang family. She hoped that if she could have a few good words in front of Madam Yang, her daughter could have a more relaxed life in the palace.

Eldest Madam Xu's maternal love was touching, but unfortunately, she had never succeeded.

Xu Nianchun had been very familiar with the palace affairs since childhood, but what she knew was just superficial. But she knew that Chang Duke Manor had to pay a large sum of money to the eunuchs every month. Each time the eunuchs came to ask for money, even if Xu family knew that these people were blackmailing, they didn't dare not giving it. After all, Shu Consort was living in the palace.

Just mere eunuchs dared to act arrogant in front of a ducal family. As for female officials who were more powerful and of higher ranking than those eunuchs? They were basically people above the cloud.

That was Xu Nianchun's impression of the palace. But now, those powerful and inviolable people were actually taught back a lesson and made so docile in front of her elder sister Jin.

Really amazing. Xu Nianchun originally didn't like Cheng Yujin. She felt that this eldest biao sister of hers was fake and empty inside, not at all as grounded and easy to get along with as Cheng Yumo. Xu Nianchun was the only di daughter of Xu family who still stayed in her natal home, so she grew up spoiled and arrogant. This temperament made her refuse to be convinced about a biao sister who was not much older than herself, but was always far ahead of their peers.

However, today's scene had thoroughly convinced Xu Nianchun. She was now looking at Cheng Yujin with eyes full of worship. Anyone who could enter the palace was Xu Nianchun's idol. Biao sister Jin could even subdue the female palace officials, which made her seem even more powerful than her eldest sister Shu Consort.

Cheng Min was equally shocked. When she heard her daughter's words, she scolded helplessly: "Don't talk nonsense. Misfortunes come from the tongue. The people from their palace are still here. Keep your mouth shut!"

"They have gone with biao sister and couldn't hear what we are talking about here." Xu Nianchun pouted and talked back to her mother.

Cheng Min watched her still childish daughter, who unscrupulously talked back to her, and sighed silently. In fact, Cheng Yujin was still young. She was fifteen this year, only two years older than Xu Nianchun. But comparing the two girls, their difference was like sky and earth.

If the same situation happened to Xu Nianchun, her daughter would be forced to swallow this wrong. However, Cheng Yujin was able to take advantage of the situation to stand up for herself and beat the group of old bullies. Cheng Min was clear. Even if it was her who was placed under the same conditions, she wouldn't be able to react as well as Cheng Yujin.

"Mother, what are you doing? Why are you sighing while looking at me?" Xu Nianchun leaned towards her mother and asked coquettishly.

Cheng Min returned to her senses and flicked her daughter's forehead angrily: "How old are you this year, don't you know to sit properly? I don't ask you to marry a rich and powerful husband. I will be content if I can find a down-to-earth and gentle man for you to marry, so you can go back to your natal home and visit me from time to time."

Xu Nianchun has also reached the age of seeking marriage. This topic naturally made her very embarrassed. She covered her face and refused to turn her head. Cheng Min looked at this worrisome daughter of hers and sighed inwardly. Sure enough, destiny might play a role, but different people had different lives. If Xu Nianchun were to be placed in Cheng Yujin's position, she probably wouldn't be able to establish herself as the Crown Princess.

Her eldest niece was, after all, not a mortal, and would not take the path of a mortal.

...

After Cheng Yujin left, Cheng Min took Xu Nianchun and gathered around Old Madam Cheng to exchange small talks. Ruan-shi quietly took Cheng Yumo outside, found a quiet place, and sat down to talk.

Ruan-shi asked in a low voice: "Mo'er, how is your mother-in-law treating you recently?"

Cheng Yumo's expression turned visibly gloomy in an instant. She lowered her head and said after a while: "Just the same as before. She has been a widow for half her life and is used to being mean. How can she change in just a few weeks?"

Ruan-shi sighed. She looked around, lowered her voice, and asked again, "How about the Marquis?"

Cheng Yumo bit her lip slightly, and finally said in a firm tone: "Marquis is very good to me."

Ruan-shi was relieved by her daughter's answer. She then said again, this time with a meaningful tone: "Which mother-in-law is not difficult to deal with? However, as long as the man's heart is firmly on you, the day can go on. If the man's heart is gone, no matter how powerful your natal family is or how partial your mother-in-law is to you, it's useless. After all, you can't give birth to a son with your mother-in-law."

As Ruan-shi spoke, the corner of her eyes glanced pointedly towards the main hall. Cheng Yumo understood. Ruan-shi was obviously referring to Qingfu Junzhu. No matter how Old Madam Cheng was like, she was indeed a generous mother-in-law to Qingfu. The right to manage the household was given, and a child was also given. However, Qingfu couldn't win over Cheng Yuanxian's heart and was childless for many years. It was not until she was in middle age that she finally gave birth to a son after much effort.

Qingfu Junzhu always served as a negative example Ruan-shi used to teach her daughter. Over the years, every time she talked about the way of managing a household, Ruan-shi always brought up Qingfu Junzhu to warn her daughter about the importance of winning her husband's heart. This was a woman's root in her married life. Without the husband's love, money, subordinates, household management right, and even mother-in-law's support were all useless.

After Ruan-shi finished her usual preaching, she called her daughter: "Mo'er, do you remember?"

Ruan-shi was too immersed in her joy of belittling Qingfu Junzhu and didn't notice that her daughter had been silent all the time. Cheng Yumo's expression was in a daze, as if being reminded of a painful memory. It seemed that she was in a trance.

Ruan-shi's call returned Cheng Yumo to her senses. She quickly hid the emotions that leaked on her face. She then lowered her head and said: "Mother, of course I remember. Don't worry. My relationship with the Marquis is very good, and there is no third party between us."

As soon as the words fell, Cheng Yumo felt a numb pain in her heart. In fact, there was a third party. But that person couldn't be seen or touched, because she was just a shadow from a previous life.

Cheng Yumo recently discovered that just like her, Huo Changyuan also seemed to slowly remember their previous life. However, Huo Changyuan kept it silent from her, and most of her time was taken by Huo Xue-shi. Cheng Yumo spent too little time with Huo Changyuan at night and didn't know how much he had remembered.

The more Ruan-shi emphasized the importance of seizing a man's heart, the more painful Cheng Yumo became. How could she tell her mother that she might also be walking on the same path as Qingfu Junzhu?

Cheng Yumo could only maintain her last pride and do not say anything.

Ruan-shi was relieved. She looked at her daughter carefully. This girl had a weak and delicate appearance that aroused pity from others. Although Cheng Yumo didn't have a stunning face, she was practically the type of weak and gentle woman that men loved the most. Compared to Cheng Yujin, who was very beautiful but with a rigid personality, it was obvious that Cheng Yumo was more likely to inspire a man's desire to protect.

To be honest, Cheng Yujin looked like an honorable but unloved main wife, the kind who maintained a relationship based on respectful distance with her husband. In contrast, Cheng Yumo was to live happily with a husband who loved her.

Ruan-shi was so trusting of Cheng Yumo that she never thought of the possibility that her little girl might be lying to her.

Cheng Yumo was upset and didn't want to talk about her relationship with Huo Changyuan. She changed the subject and asked, "Mother, do you know why she became the Crown Princess? Did grandfather make any agreement with the Crown Prince?"

Not to mention Cheng Yumo, the whole Cheng family would like to know too. Ruan-shi sighed and said, "Mother doesn't know. Your grandmother tentatively asked her before, but she told us to be content with our blessing and to not inquire about things we shouldn't know. Your grandmother has failed to ask, so of course I didn't go and let myself get insulted."

Ruan-shi then snorted, "Sure enough, she wasn't raised by our family and isn't close to us. Even before marrying, she already turns her back on her own family. I merely asked her for a small favor, and there is even no need for her to do anything. She only needs to speak one or two words to the Crown Prince for your brothers' sake, yet she refused. I gave birth to her with much difficulty, but in the end, she became someone else's daughter and grew up into such an ingrate."

Cheng Yumo sighed. It seemed that Ruan-shi didn't have any useful information. Cheng Yumo suddenly remembered the rumors she heard in private. Some people speculated that the late Old Master Cheng used his life-saving grace on the Crown Prince and forced him to promise to marry a Cheng family's daughter.

Otherwise, it was impossible to explain why the Crown Prince chose Cheng Yujin as his main wife.

Yichun Marquis Manor had no power and couldn't give the Crown Prince any help in court, and Cheng Yujin herself had her reputation damaged by a broken engagement. If Cheng family had another daughter and the Crown Prince had another choice, the position of the crown princess would not fall into Cheng Yujin's lap.

This statement was made by people randomly speculated during small talks. It was totally baseless and unfounded, and thus quickly dissipated. However, for Cheng Yumo, this statement was like a devil's whisper that she couldn't forget.

If there was another unmarried daughter in Cheng family, if the Crown Prince had another choice...did it mean that if Cheng Yumo did not marry Huo Changyuan, the crown princess position should be hers?

Cheng Yumo hurriedly stopped this thought and didn't dare to continue. She obviously knew that having this kind of thought was disrespectful to her and Huo Changyuan's feelings, but...Cheng Yumo couldn't help wondering if the possibility truly existed before.

Did it mean that she had personally let go of her chance of becoming the crown princess?

Ruan-shi saw Cheng Yumo's expression was not good, and thought that she was unwilling to see Cheng Yujin marry into the Eastern Palace. That was the Crown Princess. Cheng family didn't even have the honor to see a high-ranking imperial consort in the palace. Xu family flourished by having a daughter as Shu Consort, which was enough to make Cheng family look up to them with envy. Unexpectedly, Cheng Yujin became the Crown Princess in one thunderous swoop.

Before, none in Cheng family even dared to think of such an honor.

Ruan-shi comforted Cheng Yumo: "Mo'er, life is like drinking water. Only the person who drinks knows whether the water is warm or cold. Marrying high doesn't mean that she can live well. The Crown Prince's situation....well, I dare not say those things, but there are the Empress and Empress Dowager in the palace, along with the second prince, who has a high reputation and powerful backing. Who the final winner will be is still uncertain now. Being the Crown Princess is hard and dangerous. If something happens to the Crown Prince, she will die with him. If the Crown Prince succeeds, it doesn't mean that she will definitely become the empress. It's truly a thankless position. After suffering the palace intrigues, she may not even end well. How can she be compared with you? Marquis Huo is young and promising, and his family isn't complicated. As soon as you married in, you are the Marchioness. There is only one family with no other branch to fight with, and you also have your husband's love. You have everything. Once you give birth to a son, your life will only get better and better."

Ruan-shi suddenly stopped talking and glanced at Cheng Yumo's belly: "Mo'er, have you..."

Cheng Yumo shook her head. Ruan-shi sighed, unable to hide her disappointment. But she quickly comforted her daughter again: "It's okay, you are still young. You are not in a hurry to give birth to a child. Giving birth too early is not good for your body. Just wait one or two years."

This was the same as saying that the grapes were sour just because she couldn't eat them. Cheng Yumo could only nod at Ruan-shi. Seeing her daughter still looked unhappy, Ruan-shi said again: "Don't be too eager. Just follow the natural flow of events. But you must keep an eye on your husband and not let him stay in a concubine's room. Even if he did, make sure that the woman drinks a child avoidance medicine afterward. Even the dowry servant girls mother gave you are also the same. You can't be soft-hearted."

Cheng Yumo nodded: "Mother, I understand."

Ruan-shi stared at Cheng Yumo. Not only was her daughter obviously thinner than before, but her temperament had also become gloomy, which pained Ruan-shi's heart. Ruan-shi hugged Cheng Yumo and said: "My daughter, it's women's fate to suffer throughout their lives. You are carefully raised with countless love and pamper at home, but you have to be sent to another family to work like a cow and a horse. Every day you are tired and suffer. Blame your mother for giving birth to you as a daughter. You are suffering after getting married, as your mother also did at that time. However, you must endure, for this is just temporary. After you give birth to a child, you will have hope. Moreover, your sister is the Crown Princess. Looking at your sister's face, your mother-in-law won't dare to make things too difficult for you. After you go back, you must let the Huo family know that you and your sister are deeply affectionate. Make your mother-in-law know that if you suffer any wrong, the Crown Princess will definitely seek justice for you. She won't dare to treat you badly anymore."

Cheng Yumo found it ridiculous. Right after saying that Cheng Yujin would definitely have a bad time after entering the palace, Ruan-shi instructed Cheng Yumo to use Cheng Yujin's name to her advantage.

Cheng Yumo sneered at herself. After a while, she asked with a voice small enough that it was almost inaudible: "Mother, is it true that she is going to marry Ninth Uncle?"

"That's the Crown Prince!" Ruan-shi frowned and quickly corrected.

"I know." Cheng Yumo lowered her eyelids. Her expression was gloomy, and there was no expression in her eyes, "But they are the same person."

Ruan-shi seemed to understand her daughter's thoughts a little. She sighed and said, "Yes, I heard that the Emperor wanted the Crown Prince to marry as soon as possible and set the date in the sixth month. But the Crown Prince persuaded the Emperor and changed the wedding date into the seventh month. At that time, your sister's mourning period would have ended, and nothing holds her back from marrying grandiosely."

"The seventh month." Cheng Yumo pursed her lips, "It's so fast."

It was indeed very fast. Before Cheng Yujin even noticed it, the time had soon entered the sixth month. Since the day when Cheng Yujin subdued Zheng Gugu and showed everyone that she wasn't an easy target, the four female officials had been silent for a long time. A good person was easy to get bullied the same way a good horse was easy to ride. After Cheng Yujin made them lose face in public, the female officials no longer dared to test her bottom line.

After that, the two sides supervised each other in a delicate check and balance and lived together peacefully until the sixth month.

At the end of the sixth month, Cheng family held a grand ceremony to signal the end of Cheng Yujin's mourning period. Cheng Yujin took off her mourning clothes and got changed into bright garments. The next few days, the palace dispatched rite emmisaries and guards of honors. Their procession went through the main street and stopped at the front gate of Yichun Marquis Manor.

The main entrance of Yichun Marquis Manor, usually only opened for weddings and funerals, was decorated with red silk and opened today for the whole capital to see.

Ch 96 – Grand Wedding

Today was the day when the bridegroom presented the betrothal gifts to the bride's family. Three rite emissaries — one main emissary and two deputies — were dispatched to Yichun Marquis on behalf of the imperial family. Even the deputy emissaries were officials of some status and grade in the court. After all, this was the Crown Prince's wedding rite, in which every detail was going to be recorded into the annals of history. Naturally, those who were appointed for this job couldn't be random anybody.

In other words, everyone who came had a higher official grade than Cheng Yuanxian.

Cheng Yuanxian was the most inferior here, but this fact made him full of inexplicable pride.

The emissaries carried the betrothal gifts and imperial edict into the manor's main gate and stopped before a ceremonial curtain and ceremonial altar prepared beforehand. Following a series of cumbersome rules, they displayed the imperial family's betrothal gifts one by one for the public to see. The periphery of Yichun Marquis Manor's main gate was full of onlookers. Everyone was pointing at rows of mahogany boxes on the ground with envy and admiration.

After that, the emissaries finally entered the manor to present the imperial edict. Amidst many sighs and exclamations, the main emissary respectfully carried the edict enclosed in a jade case into the manor's main hall, followed by crown princess' formal court attire. Last was the row of dazzling and imposing guards of honor, which filled the main courtyard in an instant. Looking at the expression of the main emissary reading the imperial edict, it was clear that he was feeling honored to be able to participate in this grand ceremony.

After Cheng Yuanxian and other Cheng family members knelt down and accepted the edict, the crown princess attire was delivered into Cheng Yujin's courtyard by the female officials. Cheng Yujin changed into her new formal court attire before she slowly walked into the hall, surrounded by several female officials.

The Crown Princess set the example for the world – this sentence was not just a saying. Both the Crown Prince and Crown Princess bore heavy responsibilities on various state ceremonies and rituals. The sacrificial ceremony, New Year salutation, New Year Eve...for every important state ceremony involving the Emperor, there was the Crown Prince there. And where there was the Crown Prince, there was the Crown Princess too.

At today's important ceremony, Cheng Yujin was the protagonist, and also the one receiving the most scrutiny.

The place where Cheng Yujin presented herself in crown princess attire for the first time was located in the inner courtyard, closed from the peering eyes of outsiders. Cheng Yujin was wearing a nine pheasants and four phoenix crown, clad in a dark-blue diyi dress, an outer robe, and a waist-knee decorative cover with a jade pendant and red tassels. The whole set of attire was complicated and somber.

Cheng Yujin's posture was perfect, her appearance was stunning, and she looked so dazzling in her new formal attire.

With this kind of wide-sleeved clothes, letting the sleeves swing back and forth was extremely crude. Under countless gazes, Cheng Yujin walked out slowly. Her palms were hidden in the sleeves, her right hand was attached to the back of her left hand, her arms were level, and her large sleeves fell down naturally, looking solemn and elegant.

Under so many eyes, both well-intentioned and unkind, Cheng Yujin did not panic at all. She steadily stopped in front of the ceremonial altar and performed a set of formal four bows under the instruction of the female official. Then, she knelt and listened to the female official reading the imperial edict.

This imperial edict was to formally confer Cheng Yujin as the Crown Princess. The edict, which was enclosed in a jade case, was of the highest-ranking and importance. After the edict was read by the female official, Cheng Yujin reverently took it with both hands. The female official kneeling by Cheng Yujin's right hurriedly walked on her knees and raised both hands above her head respectfully. Cheng Yujin put the edict on the female official's hands and then stood up with another female official's help. Holding a jade tablet used for the ceremony, she performed another set of four formal bows. Finally, the female official who presided over the ceremony announced: "The ceremony is over."

When the people in the yard heard it, they immediately stepped forward to give Cheng Yujin a deep bow: "Congratulations to Crown Princess."

Cheng Yujin smiled as she gently nodded at the crowd.

Before today, although the whole world knew that she was the Crown Princess, others still had to call her using her identity as Cheng family's eldest daughter because she hadn't been conferred yet. But from now on, she was the Crown Princess both in name and reality.

From now on, everyone who saw her would have to bow their heads and call out 'Crown Princess' respectfully.

The supervising eunuch went out from the main entrance, walked to the front courtyard where the males were gathering and announced with a loud voice: "The edict has been received." In an instant, congratulatory voices sounded from outside. All the officials coming for the ceremony also went to congratulate Cheng Yuanxian. The emissaries and supervising eunuch left soon after the congratulations. They had a task entrusted to them and now had to return to the palace to make their report.

After the presentation of betrothal gifts and formal confer of the Crown Princess, it would soon be the day of the grand wedding. In the past few days, the entire Yichun Marquis Manor was very busy. Cheng family had never held such a grand event before. The Crown Prince's wedding was naturally different from ordinary weddings. In ordinary weddings, anything that went wrong would at most result in embarrassment in front of the guests. In the case of the Crown Prince's wedding, however, failure was a crime.

The Cheng family's rules and disciplines were not good. Otherwise, the family wouldn't decline in each generation. As one could imagine, people who worked in Yichun Marquis Manor were not the most capable either.

The whole manor fell into a panic. During Cheng Yumo's wedding some time ago, there was a big mess when the groom's welcoming team arrived. The bridegroom had arrived, yet the bride was not ready, and even the wedding veil almost couldn't be found. If it weren't for Cheng Yujin to block the door and delay the time as long as possible, Cheng family would have lost a great amount of face that day.

This time, there would be no second Cheng Yujin to come to their rescue. Even if there were, people from the Imperial Household Department wouldn't allow such impromptu delays to happen.

Cheng family was panicked and afraid. Everyone was too busy that their feet seldom stopped running. Fortunately, the Crown Prince's wedding was a state ceremony, so the palace sent a group of people to the bride's house to help arrange for the wedding. Every job had specialists, and no one was better than the palace when it came to preparing a grand event. Cheng family simply had to listen to the instructions from the Imperial Household Department and followed whatever the female officials told them to do, and the wedding preparation finally went on without a hitch.

On the day of the wedding, Cheng Yujin was woken up before dawn. In fact, everyone in the manor had to wake up before the sun rose today. Not only Cheng Yujin's Jinning Courtyard, but also Old Madam Cheng's Shou'an Hall and other family members' residences, all were bright with lights on.

Cheng Yujin first took a bath and lit on incenses before getting dressed in inner clothes. She then put on a ceremonial yanju dress with a long red shirt. Afterward, she went with Cheng Yuanxian and Qingfu Junzhu to Cheng family's ancestral hall for ceremonial worship and wine-offering. This ritual was to inform the ancestors of the Cheng family that one of their descendants had been chosen as the Crown Princess and was about to enter the palace today.

After listening to a long blessing speech, Cheng Yujin bowed deeply and bid farewell to her natal family's ancestors.

The spirit tablet placed on the outermost belonged to Old Master Cheng.

More than one year ago, when Cheng Yuanjing had just returned from his outside post, he quickly went into the ill Old Master Cheng's room, still with frost and snow on his body. Not long after, Cheng Yujin also ran in, and the difference of two lifetimes began from here.

Old Master Cheng's dying wish was fulfilled before his death, and he was able to close his eyes in peace. However, he probably never imagined that the little girl who came behind Cheng Yuanjing that day would eventually follow the same man out of Cheng family house merely one year later.

After returning from the ancestral hall, Cheng Yuanxian and Qingfu Junzhu sat in the main hall. Under female officials' guidance, Cheng Yujin made four full formal bows towards the couple. Cheng Yuanxian looked at the daughter who was not his but had brought him glory and honor he could never think of.

Cheng Yuanxian was full of emotion. He was originally worried that no one was taking care of him after his father's death. What would happen with his marquis title? However, Cheng Yuanxian didn't expect the title to fall on his lap so easily without even needed to move a finger.

After all, he was the Crown Princess's father, and there was no way he could stay as a mere shizi. Later, how should the people in the Office of History write about the Crown Prince's marriage if the Crown Princess' status was not high enough?

There was no need for Li Chengjing to make any order, because the people below had hurriedly prepared the documents formalizing Cheng Yuanxian's succession as Marquis Yichun. Cheng Yuanxian didn't even need to worry about the procedures when he was suddenly titled marquis. It was truly 'winning without doing nothing.'

In the past, Qingfu Junzhu always used this fact to nitpick him. But at this moment at Cheng Yujin's wedding, Cheng Yuanxian felt that his life was really good.

In the first half of his life, there was a father who took care of him, and in the second half of his life, there was a daughter who brought him honor and glory.

Cheng Yuanxian cleared his throat. He tried his best to show a solemn appearance and said: "You are marrying into the Imperial Family. Be diligent and cautious in your conducts, and never forget filial piety."

Cheng Yujin responded: "Daughter understands. Thank you for father's teaching."

She then walked to Qingfu Junzhu, who said to her: "Remember your father's words and teaching."

"Yes. Thank you, mother."

Cheng Yujin's schedule was very tight. Every single minute of her time was scheduled today. Cheng Yuanxian and Qingfu Junzhu didn't dare to delay, so they hurriedly released Cheng Yujin to go to the next step.

Qingfu Junzhu watched Cheng Yujin walked out of the main door. The train of her long red robe was running on the threshold like flowing water. Qingfu Junzhu sighed silently. No matter how reluctant she was, she still had to admit that the fate of her future, Cheng Ebao's future, and even the entire Cheng family's future, was now pinned on the girl in front of her.

Cheng Yujin blatantly expressed her indifference towards her natal family. Last time, Qingfu Junzhu and Cheng Yujin had basically torn their faces apart. But even so, she still had to please Cheng Yujin.

Next, Cheng Yujin went to Old Madam Cheng's residence to receive her words. When a bride gets married, the elders in the family must give her parting words that warn the bride about how to behave in her husband's house. However, the ones who qualified to advise the new bride were her immediate elders only. In other words, uncles and aunts such as Cheng Yuanhan and Ruan-shi were not qualified.

Even though they were Cheng Yujin's biological parents.

After the session was over, Cheng Yujin returned to her room and changed the cumbersome yanju dress into the more cumbersome and heavier diyi dress. After that, she was to wait patiently until the groom's welcoming team arrived.

Finally able to relax for a while, Cheng Yujin's mind began to wander. Li Chengjing's side must be busier and hectic than here.

It was natural. The Crown Prince was the country's foundation, and his wedding was also a matter of imperial succession, which demanded the most important rites. Especially because this wedding was the first large-scale ceremony held after Li Chengjing's return to his status as the Crown Prince. It was a perfect opportunity to display his legitimacy. With all kinds of reasons were added together, there was no need to say how grand today's wedding was.

Cheng Yujin had no idea about the situation outside. She didn't even know how long she had been waiting when she heard noises from outside. The noises became increasingly louder, and gradually, people's voices and the sound of music could be heard, which signaled the arrival of the groom.

Cheng Yujin had long memorized every procedure of the wedding perfectly, and she even knew exactly when Li Chengjing should arrive at the gate of Cheng family's manor. She supposedly was very familiar with the procedures, but at this time, when she finally heard the music from Li Chengjing's welcoming team, she unexpectedly became nervous for no reason.

She was going to marry. She really was going to marry Li Chengjing... Cheng Yujin was so nervous that even Li Chengjing's face in her memory was blurred. The last time they met was when she had just recovered from her illness months ago. At that time, she was under too much shock and not in the mood to examine Li Chengjing's appearance carefully. Ever since she knew that he was not Cheng Yuanjing but the country's current Crown Prince, Cheng Yujin rarely looked directly at his face again.

As a result, Cheng Yujin's most memorable impression of Li Chengjing's appearance was in the early spring of Jianwu's 22nd year. The wind brought the snow overnight, covering the road ahead. Amidst the white world, his tall posture clad in red clothes was extraordinarily eye-catching.

When the female officials heard the noises outside, they secretly paid attention to Cheng Yujin. Seeing the new Crown Princess was still sitting upright without being disturbed, they were very satisfied.

Cheng Yujin sat on the bed dignifiedly. Her slender hands clasped together and were hidden under her long red sleeves. Her back and neck were straight, supporting the heavy nine pheasants and four phoenix crown on her head without making it sway. She looked extremely calm, befitting the composure demanded from a crown princess. In her heart, however, she couldn't help thinking. She couldn't remember Li Chengjing's face, but did he remember hers? Her makeup today was particularly exaggerated. In fact, she was more beautiful with her usual makeup. If Li Chengjing misunderstood, she would surely be annoyed.

The sound of gongs and music came closer and closer. Judging from the volume of the sound, the team must have entered the manor. Today, Cheng Yuanxian wore his most formal court attire. When his future son-in-law entered the main hall, he must kneel and saluted the Crown Prince before the master of ceremony announced: "The Crown Prince is here to welcome his bride."

The procession after that was like this: Li Chengjing walked in the forefront, followed by the rites officials, and finally, Cheng Yuanxian as the bride's father. They walked and stopped in the middle hall. At this time, Cheng Yujin also walked in from the opposite direction. Under the female officials' guidance, she stopped after Qingfu Junzhu.

Even during this time, the two sides were separated by a screen, preventing them from seeing each other directly. Cheng Yujin had a crown weighing five or six catties on her head, which made her not in the mood to look at other people's faces. She vaguely heard Li Chengjing presenting a pair of wild geese, followed by the master of ceremony announcing: "The rite is over. Your Highness may go back."

Li Chengjing suddenly became speechless. He glanced at the screen where Cheng Yujin was standing. He was helpless and also annoyed. After so many cumbersome rituals, he was going to be chased out without even taking a glance at Cheng Yujin?

Especially because Cheng Yujin was not far away and that he could see her silhouette at a glance. For the first time, Li Chengjing felt that these old-fashioned and cumbersome protocols to be extremely annoying.

The hall was full of people and there was endless music outside. Logically, it should be noisy here. But with Li Chengjing not moving as prompted, everyone fell into a strange silence.

In the end, Li Chengjing didn't say anything and finally walked out of the hall. Cheng Yujin secretly sighed in relief. But she was also a bit amused. The corner of her lips was slightly upturned before she quickly put it down again, maintaining the dignified appearance of a crown princess.

After Cheng Yuanjing left, the female officials led Cheng Yujin to the phoenix sedan chair waiting outside. This sedan chair was magnificent and luxurious. Even the people who carried the sedan chair were all women. Cheng Yujin entered the phoenix sedan chair. The curtain was then pulled down, tightly covering her from outside's eyes.

In the end, Cheng Yujin didn't see Li Chengjing at all.

Imperial family's rules were indeed impressive. They paid great attention even to the smallest details.

The Crown Prince's wedding today was undoubtedly the focus of everyone's attention in the capital. Countless people were watching the procession along the way. The wedding procession passed through the East Chang'an Avenue and mightily entered the palace through the Meridian Gate. Here, all the escorts, guards, and officers stopped. Only Cheng Yujin's guards of honor continued to walk forward and entered the Eastern Gate. As soon as her sedan chair landed, Cheng Yujin heard a knock from the sedan door, and the accompanying female official gently reminded: "Crown Princess, please get out of the sedan chair."

Cheng Yujin tightly gripped the ceremonial jade tablet between her fingers. She almost instantly realized who was the person knocking on the sedan door just now. Her view suddenly became bright as the sedan curtain was opened. Li Chengjing was wearing an imperial crown with vibrant long tassels, which made it hard to see his eyes. But Cheng Yujin knew that he was looking at her.

Unmarried couples were forbidden to see each other before the wedding. But they were going to face each other day and night after marriage, sharing the same bed during their lifetime and the same coffin after death.

From now on, their fate was tied together for the rest of their lives.

Cheng Yujin's heart was deeply shaken, and she felt even more emotional than when she accepted the imperial edict. Li Chengjing reached out his hand, as if inviting her into his life.

Cheng Yujin hesitated for a moment before she slowly held out her hand.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

346K 18.7K 24
"you've chosen the right girl." - On the 69th day after meeting BTS: Namjoon is scared, Jin is quiet along with Yoongi and Hoseok, while Jimin's ma...
174K 3.3K 60
Type Web Novel (CN) Genre Josei Romance Slice of Life Tags[ ] Beautiful Female Lead Doting Parents Female Protagonist First Love Handsome Male Lead...
40.1K 645 80
Eighteenth-tier actress Qin Yu Jue took on the next love variety show, and her agent chose an amateur to play the fake boyfriend for her. On the day...
51.7K 819 80
Cheng Huan woke up and had transmigrated as the villainess female supporting character in a novel. The female supporting character was very money-lov...