Greetings, Ninth Uncle

Xxiant által

Photo and Story Not Mine - for offline reading purposes only. Credits to the rightful owner Cheng Yujin was t... Több

Ch.1 - Side Character
Ch.2 - Canceling the Engagement
Ch.3 - Ninth Uncle
Ch.4 - The Crown Prince
Ch.5 - To Complain Her Grievances
Ch.6 - Uncle and Niece
Ch.7 - To Lift Out a Troublesome Situation
Ch.8 - Dissension
Ch.9 - The Past
Ch.10 - The Duke Manor
Ch.11 - Using the Same Tactic Twice
Ch.12 - Longevity Feast
Ch.13 - Injured
Ch.14 - Taboo Name
Ch.15 - Calligraphy Lesson
Ch.16 - Fake Injury
Ch.17 - Displeased
Ch.18 - Guests
Ch.19 - Old Acquaintance
Ch.20 - Tempted
Ch.21 - Birthday
Ch.22 - Marriage Proposal
Ch.23 - Identity
Ch.24 - Exposed
Ch.25 - Your Highness
Ch.26 - Choosing a Husband
Ch.27 - Dowry
Ch.28 - Younger Brother
Ch.29 - Dowry Gift
Ch.30 - Previous Life
Ch.31 - Getting Rich
Ch.32 - Mourning Period
Ch.33 - Marriage
Ch.34 - Cousin
Ch.35 - Zhuangyuan
Ch. 36 - Uncle
Ch. 37- Currying Favor
Ch. 38 - Opinion
Ch. 39 - Self-Control
Ch. 40 - Niece
Ch. 41 - Making Money
Ch. 42 - Biological Mother
Ch. 43 - Adoptive Mother
Ch. 44 - Grace of Birth
Ch. 45 - Duke
Ch. 46 - Shizi
Ch. 47 - Eavesdropping
Ch. 48 - Disciplining
Ch. 49 - Second Wife
Ch. 50 - Betrothal Gifts
Ch. 51 - To Help
Ch.52 - Implicated
Ch.53 - Cooperation
Ch.54 - Farewell
Ch.55 - Thoughts
Ch.56 - Wedding
Ch.57 - Love Rival
Ch 58 - Possesive
Ch 59 - Pressure
Ch 60 - Provocation
Ch 61 - Marriage View
Ch 62 - Return to the Natal Family
Ch 63 - Eldest Sister
Ch 63 Part 2 - Eldest Sister (II)
Ch 63 Part 3 - Eldest Sister (III)
Ch 64 - Pampering Wife
Ch 65 - Contrast
Ch 66 - The Women in the Palace
Ch 67 - Xiangji Temple
Ch 68 - Matchmaking
Ch 69 - Worth
Chapters 70 - 73
Chapters 74-76
Chapters 77 - 80
Chapters 81-83
Chapters 84 - 85
Chapters 86 - 87
Chapters 88 - 90
Chapters 94 - 96
Chapters 97 - 100
Chapters 101 - 103
Chapters 104 - 105
Chapters 106 - 108
Chapters 109 -110
Chapters 111 - 112
Chapters 113 - 114
Chapters 115 - 116
Chapters 117 - 118
Chapters 119 - 120
Chapters 121 - 122
Chapters 123 - 124
Chapters 125 - 126
Chapters 127 - 128
Chapters 129 - 130
Chapters 131 - 132
Chapter 133 - 134
Chapters 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144 - Finale

Chapters 91 - 93

3.5K 73 12
Xxiant által

Ch 91 – To Act Out

Since Old Madam Cheng allowed her to forgo paying daily respect, Cheng Yujin slept comfortably that night until she woke up naturally the next day. Although she could sleep in, Cheng Yujin had been living a very self-disciplined life over the years. Her daily routine was very well-regulated, so she automatically woke up at the usual time.

Cheng Yujin stayed in bed for a while, then quickly got up to get dressed. She had anticipated that these few days wouldn't be very peaceful, but she still underestimated those people's shamelessness.

Cheng Yujin had only inserted half a hairpin into her hair when she heard loud noises outside. Cheng Yujin's courtyard had strict rules, and no one dared to make a lot of noises. Hearing the commotion outside, everyone in the room looked at each other, their expressions darkened.

Cheng Yujin compared two hairpins and stared indifferently into the mirror. Lian Qiao caught her signal and took the initiative to stand up and say: "Miss, this servant will go out and take a look."

After speaking, Lian Qiao hurriedly went out. Before she even came back, the voices of people shouting outside had already reached Cheng Yujin's inner chamber.

"Is Eldest Miss up? This old servant comes on Madam's order to deliver shredded chicken porridge for Eldest Miss."

Cheng Yujin sighed. She knew this voice. It was a senior servant woman who served Qingfu Junzhu. Since she was Qingfu Junzhu's person, Cheng Yujin had no choice but to give her 'mother' a face. She stood up and walked to the adjacent room.

"So it is Liu Mama who comes. Please come in."

Without waiting for Cheng Yujin's servant girl to lead her, Liu Mama had already walked into the western room. Lian Qiao's followed in; her expression was dark. Cheng Yujin pretended not to see Liu Mama's rudeness and asked with a smile: "Liu Mama rarely comes to visit. What brings you here so early in the morning?"

Liu Mama rubbed her hands and said: "This old servant has long heard that Eldest Miss is kind and virtuous. This old servant has always wanted to come and serve you, but Madam's side pretty much needs this old servant's service, so there has never been a chance. Today, there is a rare opportunity. This old servant hears that Madam personally prepares breakfast for Miss, so this old servant volunteers to go and deliver the food."

As Liu Mama spoke, she lifted the food box in her hand and said with a cheeky smile: "Miss, this is Madam's sincerity. You should eat it now."

Seeing that Liu Mama was about to bring the food box to Cheng Yujin by herself, Lian Qiao's eyelids jumped. She quickly snatched the food box from Liu Mama and forced a smile: "We will do it ourselves. Mama doesn't need to be bothered."

Liu Mama laughed. She began to brag about how nourishing this shredded chicken porridge is and praised Qingfu Junzhu's love for Cheng Yujin. At this moment, another senior servant woman named Panzhi, who served Ruan-shi, entered the door. When she heard someone in the room mentioned 'Eldest Madam,' the corner of Panzhi's eyes twitched, and she rushed in.

Seeing Cheng Yujin's gaze, Liu Mama also turned back and happened to see Panzhi, who was rushing in. The two women glared at each other. Fire sparks crackled between them.

Liu Mama snorted. She said sarcastically: "Hey, Second Madam's great Panzi is here. How coincidence. What brought you here so early in the morning?"

Panzhi returned with a cold smile: "Mother and daughter are connected by hearts. Eldest Miss is still recuperating from a serious illness, and Second Madam feels so distressed that she even lost her appetite and sleep. Second Madam couldn't sleep well last night and woke up early this morning to personally cook the yam radish porridge for Eldest Miss. Pity all parents in the world. Second Madam's motherly love is truly touching."

Panzhi deliberately said 'mother and daughter are connected by heart' in front of Liu Mama, which was a naked act of provocation. Cheng Yujin coughed. She raised her head and smiled: "It turned out that Second Aunt made the porridge by herself. I should accept the elder's kindness. But unfortunately, Liu Mama also sends me porridge. I cannot drink two bowls of porridge by myself. What to do?"

Lian Qiao inwardly mused. Miss seemed to be in the mood to watch some fun. There were obvious sparks between the two women, but Miss deliberately fanned the flame from the side.

Sure enough, Liu Mama and Panzhi immediately ate the bait. Liu Mama glared at Panzhi and yelled: "Our Madam is Eldest Miss' mother, of course she is closer to Eldest Miss than an aunt from another branch of the family. And Madam also sent this chicken porridge first! Your second branch saw what our Madam was doing and shamelessly copied it! Whether it is from the closeness of relationship or the order of arrival, our Madam should be the first!"

Not to be outdone, Panzhi replied, "Eldest Miss' body and stomach is still weak from the cold. How can she eat something as heavy as fish and meat? Look at the amount of oil in your bowl of porridge. Do you want to make Eldest Miss sick again?!"

Liu Mama couldn't bear her anger. She rolled up her sleeves and began to curse at Panzhi. Panzhi had served Ruan-shi for so many years, stepping on many rivals on her way. If the enemy was weak, she knew to be strong. When the enemy was strong, she knew to be weak. Under Liu Mama's endless scolding and curses, Panzhi's lips flattened, and she started crying aggrievedly.

The more they quarreled, the fiercer they became. It was unacceptable for servants to quarrel in front of a master, but Cheng Yujin simply sat elegantly and said nothing. None of the two women were willing to be outdone, and they gradually forgot where they were now. Finally, Liu Mama saw that her scolding couldn't defeat Panzhi, and directly rushed to push the latter furiously.

When things got physical, Panzhi naturally was unwilling to be beaten one-sidedly, and the verbal fight quickly escalated into a physical one. Seeing this, Lian Qiao secretly snickered, but she immediately stepped forward and yelled: "What are you doing in front of Eldest Miss? Presumptuous!"

Jinning Courtyard's lower-ranked servants received the order and quickly rushed up to separate the two. When Panzhi and Liu Mama were pulled apart, their hair was messed up, their clothes were disheveled, and they both were in a sorry state. When they began to calm down, what they saw was Lian Qiao's furious face. They turned their head and saw Cheng Yujin, sitting on the top seat, totally indifferent.

When Liu Mama finally recovered her sense and realized what she had just done, she suddenly felt cold all over. Liu Mama fell to her knees, feeling the cold and hard floor tiles underneath. The seemingly extreme chillness almost paralyzed half of her body.

Liu Mama didn't dare look directly at Cheng Yujin, keeping her eyes down on the floor tiles. Cheng Yujin sat on the luohan couch by the window. Liu Mama's eyes fell onto the footrest by Cheng Yujin's foot. The footrest was made of black wenge wood. The wood grain was exquisite and beautiful, and the footrest was clearly taken care of meticulously by Cheng Yujin's servant girls. On top of the footrest was the hem of a girl's long skirt and a pair of liuyun shoes, decorated with pearls, immaculate and shining. Today, Cheng Yujin was wearing a silver-blue skirt. Although the hem of the skirt fell on the footrest, it was still neat and tidy. The naturally stacked pleats continuously undulated like flowing mountains and rivers. Around the knee area was a three-inch-wide silver pattern, which seemed to be embroidered with an auspicious cloud motif. Liu Mama raised her eyes again and saw a pair of white and slender hands on the knees.

Liu Mama suddenly sobered up. Realizing that she had been impudent, she quickly withdrew her gaze and lowered her head in panic.

Cheng Yujin calmly said: "Fighting in front of me shows that you two don't have any respect for me at all. Take back the things you deliver here, I cannot afford to accept those."

Panzhi suddenly became panic. She raised her head and said: "Eldest Miss, this is the breakfast Second Madam personally cooked for you. This servant is indeed guilty, and you can beat or scold this servant as you like. But you cannot ignore Second Madam's sincerity."

"Presumptuous!" Lian Qiao yelled from the side, "As a servant, is it your turn to lecture our Miss?!"

Panzhi almost suffocated. Her complexion changed drastically, very spectacular. Cheng Yujin stretched her hand to neaten the folds of her skirt, then said again: "Second Madam personally cooked me a porridge, which is very touching. But the person dispatched by Second Madam has fought with the person from another branch in front of me. I tried to stop you a few times, but it was useless. Probably because both of you don't think I deserve to drink this bowl of porridge. I dare not to accept the kindness of your two madams. Someone, send Liu Mama and Panzhi out."

Finished speaking, Cheng Yujin got up and turned to walk into the inner chamber without looking back. Liu Mama felt bitter, but she knew that Cheng Yujin was now the quasi Crown Princess, someone she couldn't afford to offend.

Liu Mama felt very wronged. She really didn't hear Cheng Yujin speaking out to stop them. Otherwise, even with three times the courage, she still didn't dare to ignore the current Cheng Yujin's order. Having ended her errand in disaster, Liu Mama didn't dare to return to Qingfu Junzhu. But she also didn't dare to make any more commotion in Cheng Yujin's courtyard, so she found a place outside the courtyard and knelt down, hoping that Cheng Yujin would be softhearted after seeing her kneeling for a while in the cold weather.

Seeing what Liu Mama was doing, Panzhi also imitated. After Cheng Yujin was back in her chamber, she continued picking up the hairpins, then sat at the dining table and took breakfast comfortably.

Cheng Yujin was washing her hands in the basin with Lian Qiao standing with a handkerchief on the side. Lian Qiao whispered: "Miss, those two are still kneeling outside."

"Let them kneel." Cheng Yujin carefully washed her hands, took the handkerchief in Lian Qiao's hand, and then wiped them dry. She said nonchalantly: "No need to interfere. But let them kneel in the place where they won't obstruct other servants working."

Lian Qiao managed to suppress the laughter, but there was glee in her tone: "Yes, Miss."

Want Miss to become softhearted? It will be faster if they find a place with a good Fengshui to reincarnate quickly.

Lian Qiao was elated, feeling immensely satisfied. She had long disliked these people. Before, Cheng Yujin had to be careful in all aspects and was even polite to these spoiled servants. Even though these women were lawless, they relied on their status as the madams' close servants, so they had no scruples. Du Ruo saw Lian Qiao's gleeful face and reminded her: "Don't be above yourself. Be careful, or you may cause trouble to Miss."

Lian Qiao gave Du Ruo a glance: "I know. I still have a sense of measure."

The two women only kneeled for a while before they went back. Cheng Yujin stayed in her room, embroidering her dowry in relaxation. Not long after, Qingfu Junzhu and Ruan-shi rushed in.

Liu Mama and Panzhi didn't dare to say that they had messed up the errand, so they tried their best to pour dirty water on each other. All the blames and faults were on the opponent, and none were their mistake. When Qingfu Junzhu heard Liu Mama's report, she gnashed her teeth so hard that they almost broke. Qingfu Junzhu immediately rushed to Jinning Courtyard, and ran into Ruan-shi.

The two glared at each other, eyes full of hostility.

A servant girl came in to report their arrival to Cheng Yujin. Cheng Yujin put down the thread and needle and walked out with a smile: "Mother, second aunt, why are you here?"

She glanced down and saw that Cheng Enbao and Cheng Enbei were also there. Behind the boys were two servant boys, holding a study box in their hands.

Cheng Yujin's original mood to watch the fun instantly diminished. She didn't like to trouble others, and even more so, disliked being troubled by others. Seeing Qingfu Junzhu and Ruan-shi's attitude, they seemingly was planning to fight a long-term battle and let her take care of their children for nothing?

Cheng Yujin resisted the urge to scold, reminding herself repeatedly that the most important thing to do when quarreling was to occupy the higher moral stand and let the opponent take the first blame. So she smiled kindly and welcomed the 'guests': "Second and third younger brother is also here? Come in."

Cheng Yujin instructed her servant girl to prepare tea and led Qingfu Junzhu and Ruan-shi to the seat. Qingfu Junzhu's eyes quickly swept across the sewing basket on the luohan couch. The corners of the cloth were red, embroidered with gold threads. It was clearly a dowry.

Not everyone could use gold threads. Even if ordinary people could afford to buy it, using clothes with gold thread embroidery was a crime of overstepping one's status.

Qingfu Junzhu suddenly had some unspeakable feelings. She had never taken Cheng Yujin seriously. Qingfu Junzhu had always been surrounded by people who looked up and flattered her. She was a Junzhu, a member of the imperial clan. She was the most noble person in the Cheng family. When She adopted Cheng Yujin, everyone knew that it was Cheng Yujin's luck for taking advantage of her! But now Cheng Yuji had become the Crown Princess, and her status was higher than her adoptive mother.

No, it was actually far above Qingfu Junzhu.

To speak frankly, Qingfu Junzhu was just a Junzhu who grew up in a distant fief. Her blood relationship with the current Emperor was very far, enough to be reduced to a side branch in ordinary clans. It just happened that her family's surname was Li, and they had been staying in their fief for a long time. As long as Ning Wang didn't make a mistake, his title and fief could be passed on to his descendants for generations. If Qingfu Junzhu didn't marry into the capital, she might end her life staying in her family's fief forever, relying on the prestige and income generated by a small amount of her father's land, with no chance to ever go to the bustling capital and see the real imperial family.

Qingfu married to Cheng family, who looked strong outside but was hollow inside. As a noble and prestigious daughter-in-law, the whole family flattered her. But thinking from another angle, a di daughter of an imperial wang married someone like Cheng Yuanxian, which showed Ning Wang's status and worth in the imperial clan. Ning Wang lived cautiously in low-profile, not daring to make any mistakes in fear of arousing the Emperor's suspicion. Even though Qingfu was a Junzhu, she was just the daughter of the distant imperial relative, completely incomparable to the Emperor's direct nieces. As for the Crown Prince, that was an existence far beyond her reach.

Putting Qingfu Junzhu and the Crown Prince on the same frame was itself an insult to the Crown Prince.

Therefore, it was natural for Qingfu Junzhu to feel very sour and unwilling when Cheng Yujin became the Crown Princess. Seeing a person who was originally higher than her getting even higher was totally incomparable to seeing an inferior person who previously depended on her charity suddenly soared to the sky. For the former, Qingfu Junzhu couldn't even feel jealous, but for the latter, she was suffocated with all flavors of bitterness.

This was exactly Qingfu Junzhu's feeling when she faced Cheng Yujin now.

Qingfu Junzhu concealed the sour jealousy in her heart and asked with a smile: "Eldest girl, are you in the middle of embroidering your dowry?"

Cheng Yujin nodded calmly. There was no typical shyness of a newly engaged girl on her face as she answered: "Yes."

Qingfu Junzhu and Ruan-shi suddenly didn't know how to continue the conversation. After a while, Ruan-shi smiled and said: "Eldest girl is truly beautiful and smart. When you were just born, you didn't cry or make a fuss, but looked around with wide eyes, as if you understood what the adults were saying. At that moment, I knew that you must be surrounded by blessings. Now, it can be seen that my intuition is right."

Cheng Yujin smiled softly: "Thank you for second aunt's auspicious words."

Qingfu coughed lightly and then began to talk about this morning's incident: "It's because the servants are stupid and cannot even do something as simple as delivering a porridge. I obviously do it with a good intention, but their conducts make others misunderstand. I have scolded Liu Mama after she went back, and she is now receiving punishment in my courtyard. Eldest girl shouldn't take it to heart."

Hearing Qingfu Junzhu mention Liu Mama, Ruan-shi quickly began to tell Cheng Yujin about what happened to Panzhi too. In order to express her attitude, Ruan-shi gritted her teeth and deliberately made Panzhi's punishment much harsher than she intended. Not willing to lose, Qingfu Junzhu also added punishment to Liu Mama. Both of them refused to yield to the other, so they gritted their teeth and severely punished their own right hands.

Cheng Yujin smiled without saying a word, but she added a sentence from time to time, increasing the sparks between Qingfu Junzhu and Ruan-shi. The words they exchanged became increasingly harsher and more sarcastic. Meanwhile, adults could sit still for a long time, but children couldn't—especially Cheng Enbao, who was spoiled by his mother. After a while, he began to twist left and right. His eyes wandered around, and he kicked the stool with his feet, clearly showing his impatience.

Cheng Enbao's performance was undoubtedly very unruly, especially when Cheng Enbei sat quietly next to him. With his cousin as a contrast, Cheng Enbao's behavior looked even more intolerable. Qingfu's expression immediately sank, while Ruan-shi's eyes were full of proud gloating. Cheng Yujin seemed to see nothing wrong, and she didn't even spare the children a glance.

Qingfu Junzhu hurriedly scolded Cheng Enbao. Then she said to Cheng Yujin: "Eldest girl, Enbao has been spoiled by me and cannot sit down calmly to study. I only gave birth to him in my thirties and probably won't have any other children in my life. I cannot bear to discipline him, but as a result, he grows up unruly. He is not afraid of anyone except you. You will rarely go out during the engagement period anyway, so you should have a lot of free time. You can help mother to teach your younger brother."

When Ruan-shi heard it, she hurriedly followed suit: "It just so happens that Enbei is also free. Enbei always says how he admires his eldest sister's intelligence. Eldest girl once learned calligraphy from the Crown Prince. Your penmanship must be excellent. Why don't you take some time to give pointers to Enbei? Enbei is a diligent and calm child. He won't disturb you."

Because Cheng Yujin was free and had nothing to do, she had to help to teach her younger brothers? On what basis?

Just because she knew how to discipline children, she should take the burden off these two women and assume the responsibility of teaching their sons?

Cheng Yujin inwardly sneered. If she didn't teach these people a lesson, they might never realize that Cheng Yujin was already the quasi Crown Princess. If they wanted to ask for her help, they should take a proper attitude instead of assuming the 'this is what you ought to do' posture to annoy her.

Ch 92 – No Affection

Cheng Yujin smiled as she stared at Qingfu Junzhu and Ruan-shi: "My penmanship is indeed acceptable, but I have no experience in teaching others. I think it will be better if second younger brother studies under an experienced teacher. Since second younger brother is diligent and calm, if he is taught by a good teacher, his study surely will advance by leap and bound. I'm afraid that studying under me will delay second younger brother's talent."

Ruan-shi's smile stiffened. She brought Cheng Enbei over obviously was not to make him study calligraphy. Her real aim was to nurture the sibling relationship between Cheng Yujin and her son. After all, the two were full-blooded siblings. Their relationship should be much closer than Cheng Enbao, who was born from another woman's belly. Cheng Yujin was going to become the Crown Princess. In the future, except for her real younger brothers, who else could she support?

However, Cheng Yujin didn't seem to understand her intention at all. Qingfu Junzhu sneered at Ruan-shi, as if seeing a joke. But before Qingfu could finish sneering, they heard Cheng Yujin spoke again: "As for third younger brother, he is still young. How can I bear to discipline him? It's good for a child to be innocent and unrestrained. Since third younger brother doesn't like to study, why force him? He is still very young. Just let him play as he wants."

Qingfu Junzhu's smile almost cracked. Seeing her rival like this, Ruan-shi suddenly felt balanced.

Qingfu Junzhu took a great effort to say her next sentence: "Bao'er cannot keep playing. It's time for him to start his study and make progress. You are strict with him and can make him sit still and study obediently."

Cheng Yujin replied earnestly: "Mother, if you want to discipline Bao'er, you should do it yourself. I cannot even bear to speak harshly to him, so how can I make him study obediently? If mother really wants to, isn't it better to find a strict teacher for Bao'er?"

Qingfu Junzhu of course didn't want to. These kinds of old-fashioned and pedantic teachers were the most hateful. If Bao'er couldn't remember his lesson, the teacher would even beat his palms with a stick. How could this be allowed?

Seeing Qingfu's refusal, Cheng Yujin shook her head: "Then I can't be a help. I cannot bear to scold Bao'er, let alone punish him. If mother really wants me to do something, should I find a strict teacher for him?"

When Cheng Enbao heard Cheng Yujin said "I cannot bear to scold Bao'er, let alone punish him," with a gentle voice, his back suddenly drenched in a cold sweat. The boy hurriedly pulled his mother's sleeve, showing his rejection to stay with Cheng Yujin.

Qingfu suddenly felt very powerless. People like Cheng Yujin were the hardest to deal with. Cheng Yujin neither listened to reason nor bowed to force. Glib tongue and hidden tactics didn't work on her, and even a set of reasoning couldn't win her over. On top of that, once someone tried to push something to her using a moral ground, she would return it with stronger reasoning. Qingfu Junzhu thought hard for a long time, but couldn't find any decent excuse. Finally, she could only throw away her face and said bluntly: "Then just let Bao'er play with you. You will get married soon, so let Bao'er spend more time with you. After all, you and he are siblings of the same parents."

Qingfu Junzhu thought, now that she was completely shameless, Cheng Yujin should also have no excuse to refuse, right? Instead, she saw Cheng Yujin smiled and said: "I am going to embroider clothes for the Crown Prince and prepare my presents to elders for the Emperor, Empress Dowager, Empress, and other imperial consorts. Each of the presents is extremely important. Mother, do you really want to let Bao'er stay and play here?"

Qingfu Junzhu almost suffocated. She was totally speechless. A typical engaged girl about to leave her boudoir would be too embarrassed to talk about her future in-laws openly. Yet Cheng Yujin could say all of those without changing her expression. How thick was her face?

Shameless people could only be dealt with by a more shameless opponent. Qingfu Junzhu was lost to Cheng Yujin. She tried to open her mouth again, but was unable to produce a word.

Ruan-shi saw Qingfu Junzhu's defeat and felt there was no hope for herself. But she was also very unwilling to give up such a good opportunity. Once Cheng Yujin entered the palace, even her family members had to send a prior notice before meeting her. A half-grown boy like Cheng Enci basically had no chance to meet the Crown Princess face to face. If now Cheng Yujin didn't deepen her impression of her younger brothers, how could she remember them in the future? How would she support them then?

Ruan-shi could not reconcile. She tentatively said: "Eldest girl, you look at Enci. He is smart and obedient, and never makes trouble..."

Cheng Yujin didn't bother to listen anymore. She picked up a half-embroidered Yunnan brocade she planned to make into a pouch and nonchalantly said: "I heard that the Crown Prince's wedding is the country's most important ceremony. I wonder if the Crown Princess' dowry list has been ready or not."

Ruan-shi suddenly felt her throat was blocked. She couldn't make a sound. At this moment, she remembered that when Cheng Yumo was about to get married, she tried to swallow Cheng Yujin's dowry on the pretext of pressing time.

In the end, all her calculations ended up futile. But Ruan-shi remembered clearly that when they pressed Cheng Yujin, Cheng Yuanjing suddenly barged in and gave his share of inheritance as Cheng Yujin's dowry.

And Cheng Yuanjing...was the Crown Prince.

Thinking about it now, many unusual points could be seen. The timing of the Crown Prince's arrival was so coincidental, as if he had come specifically to seek justice for Cheng Yujin.

Thinking of such a terrifying possibility, Ruan-shi's back suddenly soaked in sweat. Qingfu Junzhu's expression also changed, and she subconsciously straightened her back.

Cheng Yujin put the half-embroidered fabric on the small tea table. Her beautiful eyes stared directly at Qingfu Junzhu and Ruan-shi. Cheng Yujin looked at the two for a while before she suddenly nodded with a smile: "Mother, second aunt, I am busy embroidering my dowry. I have no time to teach my younger brothers, nor do I have time to chat with random people. In the future, I don't want to be disturbed so early in the morning. Mother and second aunt don't have to cook anything for me anymore. Right, it will also be nice if you two can restraint your servants. Don't let them barge into my courtyard again and affect my mood for embroidering my dowry."

"Mother, second aunt." Cheng Yujin smiled, but her eyes coldly fell on the two women: "You understand, don't you?"

In the past, Cheng Yujin always used soft methods to overcome pressure. Each time she showed such a weakness, Qingfu Junzhu and Ruan-shi slowly thought that this was Cheng Yujin's real personality. But at this moment, they knew that they had been horribly mistaken.

Cheng Yujin used to detour just because she didn't have a strong enough backing. Once she had it, she was more indifferent than anyone else, refusing to show affection even to her own close relatives. After all, she was the quasi Crown Princess. Under an absolute power, why should she be afraid of two women?

Even if one was her adoptive mother and the other was her biological mother.

Qingfu Junzhu and Ruan-shi totally lost their face, and now we're very embarrassed. At the same time, they felt despair. The fantasies they had about Cheng Yujin these past two days were too naive. Cheng Yujin wouldn't support her younger brothers, let alone selflessly offer her blood to be sucked by her natal family.

Whether Cheng Enbao, Cheng Enci, or Cheng Enbei, they were just younger brothers, not sons. Cheng Yujin didn't feel that she had any responsibility to take care of their future.

Want to suck Cheng Yujin's blood for nothing? They were very courageous indeed, not knowing that it was already good enough that Cheng Yujin didn't suck their blood in return.

Ruan-shi had never met such embarrassment before, and suddenly could not sit still anymore. She took Cheng Enbei and hurriedly slipped away. Cheng Yujin thought that Qingfu Junzhu was also about to leave, but after Qingfu stood up, she suddenly had another thought. After ordering the wetnurse to carry Cheng Enbao out, Qingfu Junzhu sat opposite Cheng Yujin again.

Cheng Yujin raised her eyebrows and smiled: "Mother, do you have something else to say?"

"Since it's useless to talk about familial affection with you, let's talk about a deal." Qingfu Junzhu put back the posture of an aloof noble madam, showing an arrogance of someone of her position: "I am born in the imperial clan after all, and I know a lot more about imperial clan than outsiders. Since you are ambitious enough to become the Crown Princess, you should know that the first impression is the most important. The imperial clan has many unwritten rules. If you don't know these, it is hard to guarantee that you won't suffer after entering the palace for the first time, losing everyone's favorable first impression. I will give you insider teaching. In exchange, you will guarantee Bao'er's future. Look, how about this deal?"

"Disregarding familial affection and ties, and just talking about interests. Very frank and simple." Cheng Yujin smiled. Seeing this, Qingfu Junzhu also smiled triumphantly. She knew that Cheng Yujin would not be able to resist this temptation and would come to beg for her cooperation.

However, Cheng Yujin didn't rush. She slowly finished the remaining half of her sentence: "However, I only talk with people who put on bargaining chips of equal value. I have no interest in mother's offer."

Qingfu Junzhu was taken aback. For a short moment, she thought that she had misheard: "What did you say?"

"Mother has always been proud of being a Junzhu. But your so-called imperial clan's unwritten rules, I will know sooner or later. You want to exchange something that is going to be expired quickly with my promise to take care of Cheng Enbao for his whole life. Mother calculates very well."

Qingfu Junzhu was stabbed in the heart and couldn't help being angry. Cheng Yujin was right. Those unwritten rules Qingfu knew, Cheng Yujin would soon know too. What Qingfu Junzhu wanted to do was to take advantage of this time difference to deceive Cheng Yujin. Regardless of success or failure, Qingfu Junzhu lost nothing. This transaction was basically free. Of course Qingfu Junzhu would be happy. In contrast, Cheng Yujin actually gained no benefit.

However, did Cheng Yujin dare to take the risk? Both Empress Dowager and Empress Yang were already hostile of her from the beginning. If Cheng Yujin did something wrong because of her ignorance of the rule when she just got married, it would be a bad situation for both the Crown Prince and Cheng Yujin. Qingfu Junzhu calculated well. Knowing that Cheng Yujin wouldn't dare to take such a risk, she dared to sit down and open a high price.

But Cheng Yujin's refusal totally surprised Qingfu Junzhu.

Qingfu Junzhu thought that Cheng Yujin was having it high after being appointed as the Crown Princess and couldn't see her situation clearly. Qingfu Junzhu sneered and said: "Eldest girl, although you are going to get married as Crown Princess, do you really think that you can use that position to stand in the high place? You are just the Crown Princess. There are Empress and Empress Dowager above you. You are still far away to really have any authority. Also, the Crown Prince will eventually have favorite concubines. Just because you are the main wife, it doesn't mean that you can just sit back and relax."

Qingfu Junzhu saw that Cheng Yujin didn't speak. Thinking that she had successfully frightened the girl, she deliberately continued: "Eldest girl, you have been raised under my name for fifteen years. I treat you as my daughter, so I kindly give you this advice. Don't be haughty just because you are appointed as the Crown Princess. The Crown Prince has been missing for fourteen years. Now he comes back suddenly; how can it be so easy to convince the public? Moreover, the second prince is diligent and smart, very filial to both Empress Yang and Empress Dowager Yang. Both Empress Dowager Yang and Senior Grand Secretary Yang naturally favor the second prince. The second prince is also born from an empress, only different from the Crown Prince by the word 'eldest' and 'second.' How many monarchs in the past were an eldest di son? This thought is taboo to be spoken, but eldest girl should know what I mean."

Cheng Yujin nodded. Qingfu Junzhu's argument was not wrong. Unless Li Chengjing's crown princess was a Yang family's daughter, no matter who she was, the position would only bring her hardship and danger, not blessings.

Seeing Cheng Yujin nodded, Qingfu Junzhu thought the girl had listened to her, so she smiled complacently: "I know that eldest girl is smart. You always see things clearly. After all, the imperial court is the men's world. We women can only talk about the inner palace. There are many ways to deal with mothers-in-law. No need to search for, just look at our family's married ladies. The second girl married into Jingyong Marquis Manor. Our family is also a marquis family, so second girl married equally. Yet after marriage, she is forced to learn rules every day by her mother-in-law. She doesn't dare to show any temper, and her life is like walking on thin ice. Then there is also your aunt. she married from a marquis family into a ducal family, which is considered to marry high. She is just a second daughter-in-law. Her branch has no title to inherit, and she has no right to manage the manor. The pressure she receives cannot be compared to her eldest sister-in-law, who is the wife of the future duke. Yet, have you heard her saying that she has an easy life in Xu family?"

Qingfu Junzhu finished the long speech, picked up the teacup to moisturize her throat, and then slowly came to her main point: "This is the case in the homes of noble families. Then how about the imperial palace with its countless rules and regulations? When you get married into the palace, you have to serve your mothers-in-law. It's far less glamorous than you think. Being the Crown Princess is very difficult."

Cheng Yujin lowered her head and said nothing. When she heard the last sentence, she whispered: "Yes, it is very difficult being the Crown Princess."

Qingfu Junzhu was elated. But the next moment, she saw Cheng Yujin raised her head and smiled very gently: "Since this is the case, then of course I have to accept my fate. To worry before the common people worries and to enjoy only after the people can enjoy are part of my duties. Naturally, I am not qualified to meddle in the affair of governing the country, but what I can do is sharing the burden together. Crown Princess bears such a heavy responsibility and is put in such a difficult situation. How can I let other people suffer? Naturally, it's my turn to step in."

Qingfu Junzhu didn't expect the matter to develop in this direction. She was totally suffocated. Qingfu Junzhu stared blankly for a while, but in the end, her face was still thicker than Cheng Yujin, so she finally released her killing move: "The rules of imperial clan is different than noble family's rules. If you intend to take lessons from Cheng Yumo and Cheng Min's experiences, then you are very wrong. Her Majesty the Empress is the mother of the country. She won't base herself on doing something like embarrassing her daughter-in-law with her own hands. She will just send a Gugu to discipline you, which is enough to make you suffer."

"I know." Cheng Yujin smiled very sincerely, "Her Majesty sends a Gugu to teach me the rules. This is for my own good. Why should I be afraid?"

Qingfu Junzhu's expression sank: "You don't know how to appreciate good things. It's my kindness that I come to offer you helps. Don't pretend to be a fool in front of me. The methods of female officials in the deep palace are totally incomparable to noble families' mamas. Countless imperial concubines and palace maids suffered a loss in their hands. As long as you promise to protect my Bao'er and let him live worry-free, then I will teach you how to handle those people. Are you really not going to accept my offer?"

"Mother, since he is the son you gave birth to, then you should teach him yourself. If you are not willing to discipline him, then you should accept the fact that your son will be a good-for-nothing for the rest of his life. You don't want to discipline but also don't want your son to be a good-for-nothing, so you transfer the responsibility to me. On what basis should I accept?"

When Cheng Yujin finished speaking, she looked straight into Qingfu's eyes and said, "I refuse."

Anger rose from the bottom of Qingfu Junzhu's heart. Her Bao'er was lively and active. It was just normal for boys to be naughty. How dare Cheng Yujin says that her Bao'er would grow up a good-for-nothing? But another weak, desperate voice came from her heart, saying that Cheng Yujin was right.

In the future, her Bao'er might really grow into a dude who only knows to eat, drink, and have fun. Just like his father Cheng Yuanxian, he would amount to nothing. But Cheng Yuanxian had a good father and a good daughter. In the first half of his life, his father paved the way for him. His father's death left the marquis title to him. In the second half of his life, he would be backed by his daughter. As long as Cheng Yujin sat in her position, Cheng Yuanxian, as the Crown Princess' father, would never be taken lightly by others.

Cheng Yuanxian had no abilities in his life, but his luck was very good. However, what about his son? The title of Marquis Yichun ended in Cheng Yuanxian's generation. Unless the later Emperor granted Cheng Enbao grace, he wouldn't even be able to live off his ancestors' merits. As for Ning Wang, he was even more undependable. Once a prince went into his fief, he couldn't return to the capital, presumably forever. In Ning Wang's lifetime, he probably would never be able to meet Cheng Enbao, this outer grandson of his, let alone planning for the boy's future.

Qingfu Junzhu thought hard, but found that the only person she could depend on was Cheng Yujin, this adopted daughter of hers. Fate was truly ironic. The only life-saving straw Qingfu Junzhu could find was the daughter of that bitch Ruan-shi.

However, even after Qingfu Junzhu abandoned her pride and lowered her head to ask Cheng Yujin for help, Cheng Yujin refused. Cheng Yujin was not willing to support Cheng Enbao.

Qingfu Junzhu was flustered. How dare Cheng Yujin? As an older sister, she refused to support her younger brother. As a married daughter, she refused to support her natal family. How could Cheng Yujin do such a thing?

Cheng Yujin listened to Qingfu's long talk calmly, but she had long been bored. Cheng Yujin drained her teacup and said: "Mother, a deal is an exchange of equal value. If Cheng family cannot help me in the future, I also won't give my help. We are on each other."

Draining the teacup was a disguised gesture to send off the guest. Qingfu Junzhu's face stiffened. She got up from her seat and walked out quickly.

Ruan-shi and Qingfu Junzhu left Cheng Yujin's place in a dejected manner one after another. After that, no one dared to disturb Cheng Yujin again.

Before long, Old Madam Cheng also heard about Cheng Yujin's attitude. Although Cheng Yujin became the Crown Princess, she didn't have the intention to help her natal family. She clearly expressed her attitude: if Cheng family couldn't be her help, then she also wouldn't care about Cheng family's life and death. Everyone traded equally, and no one owed the other.

To be able to say such a thing, one must be completely hard-hearted. Cheng family's illusion of gaining glory and benefits for nothing broke into pieces. One by one, they had their head cleared, and no one dared to provoke Cheng Yujin.

How ridiculous. When Cheng Yujin hadn't shed the pretense of cordiality with them, Cheng family dared to be so roguish and arrogant. Once Cheng Yujin said those cold words which totally cut off familial affection, these people suddenly respected and feared her.

This was human nature, ironic and ridiculous.

Yichun Marquis Manor had a rare period of peace and tranquility, and no one dared to make trouble.

After the spring flower bloomed in the third month, the Ministry of Rites and Court of State Ceremonials held a grand ceremony in Yichun Marquis Manor. The guard of honor winded from Fengtian Gate all the way to Cheng family's manor. Solemn music followed the procession as people watched the ceremony.

Along with imperial bestowment were four palace Gugus.

After a long time of waiting, Empress Yang finally made her move.

Ch 93 – Female Officials

The imperial palace was deep and full of rules that encompassed everything. Before an imperial consort entered the palace, a female official would be dispatched to teach her palace rules and etiquette. This tradition applied to everyone, and even lower-ranking imperial concubines were not exceptions. As the Crown Princess, Cheng Yujin represented the face of imperial family and also served as the model for all women in the world. Naturally, the requirements demanded from her were much stricter than others.

Cheng Yujin understood this truth. Empress Yang understood it, too. And the female officials in charge of teaching her rules also understood it.

A woman surnamed Zheng was the head of the four female officials. She was still in her thirties, but everyone called her 'Gugu'. As a female official, Zheng-shi had never been married, and she served the court for life. She was responsible for teaching palace rules and etiquette to the draft girls. Although Zheng Gugu was not very old, she had a sullen and stern face all year round, making her look rigid and unapproachable.

Her voice was just like the impression she gave, stern and cold without emotion: "Eldest Miss Cheng, you are the Crown Princess appointed by the Emperor. You are the master and we are the servants. However, the four of us were ordered by Her Majesty the Empress to teach Eldest Miss Cheng the proper imperial family etiquette. In order to prevent the Crown Princess from making mistakes that will embarrass yourself and the whole imperial clan in the future, when us servants are teaching you, Miss should do your best to follow our instructions and listen to our arrangements. We are going to teach you by the book and won't lower the standard to accommodate you. Everything is for your own good. Eldest Miss Cheng, you must not feel offended."

Cheng Yujin nodded: "I naturally understand this. Many thanks to Empress Dowager and Empress' kindness. This subject daughter will remember this grace, self-introspecting all the time, and dare not forget for a moment."

The corners of Zheng Gugu's lips slightly upturned into a cold smile: "Very good. Eldest Miss Cheng, let's start now."

Cheng Yujin readily agreed. Zheng Gugu had taught four or five batches of draft girls. Countless palace women cried under her hands, and she had also seen too many noble family daughters like Cheng Yujin. When imperial concubines first entered the palace, they were all like Cheng Yujin, confident and arrogant. They all thought that their etiquette was perfect and that no female officials would be able to point their mistakes. Unfortunately, once they fell under Zheng Gugu, all their confidences were shattered, and they could only bow their heads in defeat, not even dared to protest.

It was just a small effort to teach an ignorant little girl a lesson. Zheng Gugu was naturally very confident. Moreover, the person they were going to teach was also the future crown princess, which gave them another layer of satisfaction.

Zheng Gugu was not in a hurry in her plan to watch a good show. However, three days later, her mental state almost collapsed.

What exactly was this Cheng Yujin? Four experienced female officials were staring at her endlessly, supervising her every movement, gesture, and posture whether she was sitting, lying down, walking, talking, and even sleeping. But Cheng Yujin was as precise as a ruler, and the four female officials couldn't even nitpick a single wrong.

For the first time since she entered the palace more than twenty years ago, Zheng Gugu began to doubt herself. If the situation here were passed to the palace, Empress Yang would definitely get furious and think that the four female officials she dispatched had accepted Cheng family's bribes and deliberately throwing a game.

Zheng Gugu was forced to swallow the bitterness in silence. Changed to another person, even she would also think that the person in charge had thrown the game. But since the person was her, Zheng Gugu was very clear about her innocence. Even later, in order to save her skin, she heightened her standard to the roof and observed Cheng Yujin more strictly.

However, no matter how much effort she did, there was nothing in Cheng Yujin's gestures and movements that were not standard or not elegant.

Zheng Gugu was hit hard and couldn't help but began to doubt herself. Fortunately, after returning to her room last night, the other female officials with whom she shared a room also returned with an ugly face. The two tentatively talked, only to realize that they were facing the same predicament.

The person whom they supposed to teach a lesson never made any mistake at all. If they were in Cheng Yujin's place, even they couldn't be so perfect.

After finding a companion in the same boat, the anxiety in Zheng Gugu's heart was reduced by half. The two women secretly discussed, and unanimously guessed that Cheng Yujin, upon knowing about their imminent arrival, had made a preparation to correct her posture and etiquette in advance. However, even though she could hold on for a while, could she hold on forever? What they needed to do was to slowly grind Cheng Yujin's effort every day and patiently waited until the time when she could no longer persist.

So the four female officials watched over Cheng Yujin even more intensely than before. People were not wooden puppets. As long as Cheng Yujin still had a body made from living flesh and blood, there would always be the time when she inadvertently relaxed her guard and made mistakes. With the four of them watched over her, could Cheng Yujin maintain her perfect form all day and night?

The fact proved that she really could.

People always had times when they relaxed their guard, but Cheng Yujin didn't seem to need it. She ate, drank, and even slept with perfect movements, up to the smallest details. Even the position of her wrists was not too high or too low. It was as if her very being was taken out from the etiquette book as a living standard.

Today, Zheng Gugu instructed Cheng Yujin to practice the formal curtsy and deliberately made her maintain a half-squatting posture. Zheng Gugu and her three colleagues stood around Cheng Yujin, each with a wooden ruler in their hand, preparing to hit her without mercy at the slightest trembling.

This trick had done well to beat countless imperial concubines and palace ladies into submission. Except for Empress Yang, who was the proud daughter of heaven, all the Emperor's women had experienced this nightmare. Zheng Gugu stared at Cheng Yujin for a long time without blinking. However, let alone moving, Cheng Yujin didn't even tremble or shake. Moreover, her face was still very relaxed. It was as if Cheng Yujin could maintain this posture forever even if they didn't call for a stop.

Zheng Gugu had no choice but to allow Cheng Yujin to get up. If Cheng Yujin didn't make any mistakes, they couldn't give her a 'teaching' either. The tricks used to intimidate the newcomers in the palace were useless to her.

Therefore, Zheng Gugu changed to another tactic and made Cheng Yujin do a series of etiquette movements: saluting, bowing, kneeling, kowtowing...each was performed smoothly and perfectly by Cheng Yujin. Speechless and at a loss, the four female officials looked at each other in despair.

Zheng Gugu, who originally was dismissive of Cheng Yujin, slowly became taut. This new Crown Princess, who was young and without a strong backing, didn't seem to be as simple as she initially thought.

This level of endurance and patience was out of normal people's league. Not to mention Empress Yang, even Zheng Gugu, who was in charge of teaching rules and etiquette, was not a match.

When it was first known that the Crown Prince who had been missing for many years was found, the entire palace was shaken to the ground. Even the Crown Princess, who had yet to appear in public, was suddenly pushed to the center of the storm. People in the palace didn't dare to say anything about the Crown Prince, but they actually looked down on this newly-appointed Crown Princess.

Especially after they knew that this woman also had a past broken engagement. No one talked openly about it now, but the female officials still had a subtle contempt in their hearts. A noble family's daughter with ordinary family background, an ordinary reputation, and who had never entered the palace was actually so lucky to have the crown princess position fall on her lap. What qualifications did such a person compare with Miss Dou, who often stayed in the palace?

When Zheng Gugu departed from the palace, she even guessed that this Crown Princess might be a bumpkin who had no idea about how the palace etiquette should be done. When kneeling, did she know whether to withdraw her left or right foot first?

However, the reality was different from imagination. At this moment, Zheng Gugu and her colleagues felt that their faces had been slapped hard. They all sullenly kept their mouth shut, and no one dared to speak.

Since Cheng Yujin got engaged, she no longer went to pay daily respects to her elders. But after the arrival of the female officials, she suddenly became very filial and never skipped going to pay her respect to both Old Madam Cheng and Qingfu Junzhu. The same was true today. After copying the Domestic Lesson for a while, Cheng Yujin put down the brush.

Zheng Gugu, who was supervising from the side, immediately said coldly: "Eldest Miss Cheng, you have not finished copying the Domestic Lesson twice today, so you cannot go out."

"I know." Cheng Yujin put down her brush and smiled. "'Filial piety is the ultimate virtue of the way of humanity. To be filial, one respectfully and diligently works day and night and does not neglect or disobey parents' instructions. One's sincerity and reverence even manifest themselves in taking care of parents' canes and shoes. In preparing delicacies for them, care is even extended to their leftovers'.Translation is directly taken from a book, as classic Chinese is beyond this poor translator. When copying this section, I am very touched and suddenly want to pay respect to my grandmother and mother."

Zheng Gugu frowned. If Cheng Yujin went out, it would take a long time until she returned again. Moreover, it was not as easy to discipline her in front of public eyes. However, Cheng Yujin directly used the content of Domestic Lessons as an excuse. If she said no, wouldn't it be against the same lesson she made Cheng Yujin learn?

Seeing this, Cheng Yujin added another paragraph: "'At the time when a woman begins to have the prospect of starting her own family, she should extend the way she serves her father and mother to her in-laws, with nothing to add or subtract.' By looking at how a woman is filial to the elders in her natal family, one can infer how filial she will be to her in-laws after marrying. Zheng Gugu stops me from fulfilling my filial piety to my elders. Are you also going to stop me from fulfilling my filial piety to Her Majesty the Empress?"

This last sentence completely blocked Zheng Gugu's protest.

Cheng Yujin quoted another paragraph: "'At the time when a woman begins to have the prospect of starting her own family, she should extend the way she serves her father and mother to her in-laws, with nothing to add or subtract.' By looking at how a woman is filial to the elders in her natal family, one can infer how filial she will be to her in-laws after marrying. Zheng Gugu stops me from fulfilling my filial piety to my elders. Are you also going to stop me from fulfilling my filial piety to Her Majesty the Empress?"

This last sentence completely blocked Zheng Gugu's protest. She gritted her teeth and said: "Eldest Miss Cheng is eloquent and know how to use your tongue well. But the most important thing for a woman is her behavior. Sooner or later, being too eloquent will only do you no good.'

Of course Cheng Yujin could hear the implied threat, but so what? No matter how many tricks Cheng Yujin did now, what the four female officials could do was to wait until they returned to the palace to badmouth Cheng Yujin to Empress Yang. But Cheng Yujin didn't care. An old proverb said that there was no difference between a hatred value of 100 points and a hatred value of 50 points. No matter what she did, Empress Yang would never like or treat her well, so why made herself uncomfortable?

Cheng Yujin smiled softly, "I will remember what Zheng Gugu said today. We are going to be a long acquaintance after all, and this short time is not enough for me to thoroughly study the rules and etiquette. If there are opportunities in the future, I would like to ask Zheng Gugu for more guidance."

Who said that Cheng Yujin couldn't threaten people? Zheng Gugu's frown deepened. She threatened Cheng Yujin with Empress Yang, and Cheng Yujin threatened her back with a future retaliation. After all, Cheng Yujin was the Crown Princess. After she entered the Eastern Palace, even if Empress Yang wouldn't stand on her side, it was still very easy for her to pinch a female official to death.

Zheng Gugu was suffocated, but Cheng Yujin's rhetoric was flawless. All the threats were perfectly hidden between cleverly chosen words. From an outside perspective, there was nothing to nitpick on. Zheng Gugu glared at Cheng Yujin, but the girl paid no heed at all. After leisurely changed her clothes, Cheng Yujin took her servant girls and went out.

It was the fourth month now, and everyone was dressed in light spring clothes. All around the manor, various flowers were in full bloom. Seeing servant girls in spring clothes walk among the flowers and trees was beautiful scenery in itself. Leading four female officials and a group of servant girls, Cheng Yujin walked gracefully on the path towards Old Madam Cheng's Shou'an Hall.

When the servants saw Cheng Yujin's procession approaching from the distance, they quickly gave her way. Cheng Yujin's momentum was so great that Old Madam Cheng had been informed long before their arrival. When the Old Madam heard that her eldest granddaughter was bringing the four female officials to Shou'an Hall again, her head began to throb so much that she couldn't even swallow her tea.

Those four female officials were in charge of teaching rules and discipline. Just standing silently in the background, they were scary enough to look even more menacing than the Buddha's warrior attendant. Although their focus was on Cheng Yujin, how could Old Madam Cheng, who was sitting in the same room, be not affected? Yet Cheng Yujin deliberately came every day, which put Old Madam Cheng in a constant state of tension these few days. She couldn't even eat or drink well and was cautious in her every movement.

Even Old Madam Cheng was like this; no need to mention how miserable were the servants below. In just a few days, the whole Shou'an Hall was shrouded in misery.

They were just bystanders, yet they were already so exhausted. Then how much difficult it was for Cheng Yujin, who was at the center of the vortex?

Cheng family womenfolk gradually felt that being the crown princess was not something a human could do. In the beginning, many of them were jealous and unwilling to see such a great fortune fall on Cheng Yujin's lap. They even declared that they could do better than Cheng Yujin. However, only a few days after the palace pre-marriage training had begun, such noises of dissatisfaction had completely disappeared. Now, whenever they looked at Cheng Yujin, there was no more jealousy or envy, only awe.

However, even though Old Madam Cheng emotionally felt sorry for Cheng Yujin, it didn't mean that she was willing to accompany Cheng Yujin's training. Qingfu Junzhu could hide in other places under the pretext of managing the household or going on visits, but Old Madam Cheng, as the manor's matriarch and old madam, couldn't hide. What's more, her Shou'an Hall was here. Where else could Old Madam Cheng hide?

After Cheng Yujin entered the door, she smiled and greeted Old Madam Cheng. The four female officials followed behind, like the four heavenly kings, menacing and majestic. Old Madam Cheng subconsciously straightened her posture and sat upright. As for the servants standing in the room, they also straightened their posture and raised their heads. There was no relaxed or playful attitude at all. Each of them stood upright as if there was a bowl of water on top of their head.

Old Madam Cheng really wanted to tell Cheng Yujin to stop coming, but Cheng Yujin was very 'filial,' stating that even though she was going to become the Crown Princess, it was not a reason to neglect her filial duty. Therefore, she insisted on going to pay respect every morning and evening.

Cheng Yujin's thought was very simple: as a family, blessings might not be shared, but difficulties must be taken together.

After all, a family had to be united and harmonious.

Seeing her effort was futile, Old Madam Cheng's mood sunk even lower.

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

170K 2.3K 109
Lord Protector Ding, Xie Heng, was the famous bachelor in Dayue Dynasty, also the adopted father of the male lead in the novel about a reborn woman...
386K 15.6K 137
Fern is the younger sister of a famous author known for 'The Promise Under The Moon.' At just fourteen, she was the first to read her sister's debut...
413K 8.7K 85
NOT MY STORY FOR OFFLINE PURPOSES STRICTLY NO VOTING!!!! Du Youwei, the daughter of Du Family, who was a little pampered rich miss, tasted what it wa...
IBTSOMEH X által

Romantikus

36.7K 972 105
Photo and Story Not Mine - for offline reading purposes only. Credits to the rightful owner I Became The Stepmother of My Ex-husband ...