Inside the Zodiacs

By CrabLamb

A general guide for Zodiac Predators Series. More

Note
About
The Bloody Rule
Predators Profile
I Fear No Shepherd (Jenny the Stripper)

In Lion's Humble Abode (Dress and Bones)

322 15 26
By CrabLamb

"Gareth Earl has his own set of morals. He is not exempted for that."

Synopsis:

In the secluded part of Canlubang, Laguna, a game where a clueless lamb will be lured to a manipulated fate of lingering wild. Not knowing a past that has yet to be forgotten will re-open 18 years later.

[ Q and A]

Q: Main inspiration of the story?

A: I just finished watching Season 1 of Hannibal that my friend recommended when I grabbed my pen and notebook to write an idea. After that, I scribbled about mysteries revolving dolls and dresses, completely pausing from writing romance-centric stories.

Maybe I was so enamored with the classiness of Hannibal that lead me to write.  The noir, the acting, the disturbing music— everything! So, I guess the main answer is Hannibal, although I have plenty of references to draw from. 

Q: Was it originally 30 chapters?

A: Yes, I was actually scared to do more than 30 chapters for this series. Maybe because 12 stories is quite overwhelming. So, as compensation on my part, I've decided that the series will strictly follow the 30 chapter rule.

Q: Tell me about the chosen setting.

A: The setting was supposed to be fictional. If you are one of the earliest readers, you will notice the lack of mention of any hometown names. I only decided to use a real Philippine setting in Chapter 11. 

As for why I chose Canlubang, well I live in Laguna (not specifically in Canlubang), but since most of my college colleagues live in there, I always have the leisure to observe the neighborhood, and I think it perfectly fits the story. 

Q: How did you come up with the main character? 

A: Gareth Earl is what I can call, the "classic" serial killer that has consistent signature and design in killing.  While listing his pros and cons/strengths and weaknesses, I imagine a guy in his respectable suit, a silver with a sprayed convincing gold all over his body. 

Gareth Earl has this unresolved god complex. A guy who believes that he can be the master of stringless people. Reference to Sasori of the Red Sand from Naruto.

Q: How did you create Isabella Zarzuela

A: I've always wanted to name my character Isabelle. It's just so feminine and I think it's really pretty. 

Actually, the teaser slash first chapter was supposed to be a 19-year-old girl, living with her grandfather in a sweet neighborhood in the mountains. Her cat gifted her a dead rat, which symbolizes the on-the-way predator in her life. Although I was satisfied with her first 500-word narration, I scrapped the idea.

I wanted the heroine to be in her mid-20s who grew up in a typical Filipino neighborhood. An observant, but can be fooled sometimes. A soldier of life (pharmacist), and an embodiment of yang energy. 

Q: How did you establish the relationship between Gareth and Isabella?

A: It's a simple mutual respect with a hint of unexplainable sexual tension. Intense gaze with lingering words that are too forbidden to discuss. A long and deeply-rooted connection that started so wrong and eventually, ended right. 

Whatever the outcome of their relationship, it's the most fitting given the numerous turns their relationship has taken. Gareth and Isabella have always been meant to meet and be intertwined with each other, but not necessarily to be attached.

Q: How did you come up with Wojtek's character?

A: Wojtek was supposed to be another serial killer like Gareth, a bored predator who will try to catch the lamb first before the lion. But again, I scrapped the idea and descend with the overrated NBI role so I can connect the story to the next (Jenny the Stripper).  

His fate, however, didn't stray away from his original role though. If you finished the story, he kind of became a serial killer, but not in a way that everyone will expect.

Q: Hardest character to write?

A: Answer would be either Rona or Jane Zarzuela, I can't choose. Both are minor characters but they are just too complex for me. I am always conscious whenever I write their scenes for some reasons. 

Q: Do you have any favorite character/s? 

A: Darwin. No further explanation needed. 

Q: Favorite scene? 

A: The ending.

Q: Do you have any regrets after a year of finishing the story? 

A: None. I am satisfied with every character's outcome.

Q: Did Gareth Earl die in the last chapter? 

A:  It's not really ambiguous, but I have to keep that real ending to myself. I already decided to keep my mouth shut about it, no matter what theory I read. Consider it as the true mystery of Dress and Bones that I will never answer.

[ FACTS ]

1. The following were the considered endings for Dress and Bones but scrapped:

    • Isabella seeking Gareth in the mountains to kill him. Both of them died because Gareth fought back. (Bad ending)

   • The story will end with Gareth's birthday letter in Isabella's planner. (Ambiguous ending)

   • Gareth became a provincial doctor under the fake name "Gideon Ross". The story will end up with Gareth, witnessing two teenagers fighting because of unplanned pregnancy. (Ambiguous ending)

   • The story will end with Isabella wearing the dress and breaking her own limbs to make Gareth lose the sole vessel of his mother. Gareth will lose his mind. (Bad ending)

2. Gareth Earl is a Britain origin name that means "Gentleness" and "Nobleman". Together, Gareth's name can be interpreted as "Gentle nobleman" 

3. Lagard came from the last name of the writer's boyfriend.

4. Gareth hates funerals.

5. Wojtek's name came from a Syrian brown bear who was enlisted officially as a soldier with the rank of private. The said bear was also said to be promoted into the corporal way back in world war 2.

6. Wojtek and Nathalie's relationship was never romantic; Wojtek only joked about Nathalie liking him to get a reaction from Isabella.

7. If Alex Schwarz— Jenny the Stripper's deuteragonist, didn't resign in 2002. He will be the one to handle Gareth's case instead of Wojtek. 

     • Alex would've caught Gareth Earl 

     • Wojtek and Isabella would've ended up together

8. Jane's pregnancy was actually not in the plan. The idea just sparked when the writer was writing the sibling conflict.

9. In Chapter 20, the original plan was for Wojtek to attend the party and confess to Isabella while dancing. However, their blooming romance was intentionally interrupted by Nathalie's call for help. The idea was scrapped and changed to him being on the way to make their relationship as tragic as possible.

10. Wojtek and Isabella were supposed to end up together after the timeskip.

11. The sex scene was supposed to happen in Chapter 26.

12. Gareth's birthdate is the same as the writer's favorite cousin.

13. Isabella's speech and moral pattern were based on Clarice Starling from the Silence of the Lambs.

14. Gareth is obsessed with Isabella, but not necessarily in love.

15. Gareth is the third oldest predator in the whole series.

16. Out of the three fire predators (Gareth, Jazz, and Lee), Gareth is the only one who's far too gone to have a redemption.

17. Darwin was supposed to die while protecting pregnant Jane from Rona.

18. Gareth used Milgram's Obedience Experiment in brainwashing Wojtek. 

19. Wojtek is actually pronounced as Voytek. 

20. Gareth was never physically capable to face anyone in combat. That's why he either pulls his victims by surprise or tie them up.

21. Gareth did not plan for Isabella's parents to be killed. Rona did it on her own accord because of pure jealousy. Hence, lead to his first failure. 

22. Gareth has a strong sense of smell and hearing.

23. Jane taught Isabella how to read lips and mannerisms, for she is a Psychologist.

24. Wojtek and Isabella were supposed to share a quick kiss in Denouement.

25. Gareth and Isabella were supposed to have their first kiss in Chapter 26

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

250K 3.3K 56
". . .sometimes one feels freer speaking to a stranger than to people one knows. Why is that?" "Probably because a stranger sees us the way we...
1.9K 30 13
ANAtheCowgirl reviews the first three chapters of different Wattpad stories.
2.3K 152 8
An Austen-themed book club for aspiring Filipino writers. O P E N : currently in need of members
26.9K 1.5K 76
In her past life, Samantha died at the hands of the person she trusted the most. Though he didn't kill her directly, he was the reason for her early...