The Fumble Of A Quarterback

By darlaH

Nora hated football more than anything else in her life. But when her father, the head coach for Ohio State U... More

Chapter 1: More Fun Than The Street Fair
Chapter 2: You've Met All The People Here
Chapter 3: Boba Tea Is My Jam
Chapter 4: Know Who You Are
Chapter 5: Like To Stay Busy
Chapter 6: We Aren't Friends
Chapter 7: Team That Isn't A Team
Chapter 8: I Hated Him
Chapter 9: They Are Sharks
Chapter 10: It Makes You Hateable
Chapter 11: Nothing Escapes You
Chapter 12: Convinced I Wouldn't Date
Chapter 13: He Mentioned It So Causally
Chapter 14: The Coach's Daughter
Chapter 15: What Is His Name
Chapter 16: First Game Of The Season
Chapter 17: Football Wasn't His Life
Chapter 18: Trusts You The Most
Chapter 19: Haven't Noticed
Chapter 20: You're The First Person
Chapter 21: Placing Me In The Spotlight
Chapter 22: J-Walking Is A Crime
Chapter 23: He Misses You
Chapter 24: Like Death
Chapter 25: You Made A Mistake
Chapter 26: Saw It Coming
Chapter 27: Wasn't Expecting
Chapter 28: Tell Me More Lies
Chapter 29: Charles Will Being An Explosion
Chapter 30: Charles
Chapter 31: You Owe Me
Chapter 32: Run the article
Chapter 34: Death to the Team
Chapter 35: Did Something Terrible
Chapter 36: Never Be The Same
Chapter 37: I Still Hate Football

Chapter 33: They Dated

4.8K 65 13
By darlaH

"Ok, home game match is tomorrow. I want a basic practice today," dad said to the group of men standing in the locker room a few days later. "Nora, have any words to say to this group before they get out there?"

I shook my head as I looked around at the boys. My eyes lingered on Charles as he smirked at me, making my skin crawl. Rick wrapped his arm around Charles as he whispered something into his ear. The small crowd around Charles confirmed that he already was gathering a posy. He was taking control and soon Charles would be up to his same issues as before. 

The thought caused me to kick the floor. With every day Charles was here, it caused me to hate my time here. He made me not want to come back. He made me want to run. I wondered how many other people felt the same way. 

"Ok, that's all. Get on that field and start warm up," dad said as he clapped his hands. 

As the crowd left the room, I turned to dad with a frown. "Is Charles playing in the game?" 

"I don't know. It depends on what the university wants." 

"So that will be a yes." 

"Nora...." he sighed. 

"Dad, I know your hands are tied, but he is a terrible person. Can't you feel it? The whole team has changed with his coming," I said as I rose my voice at him.

"Nora, don't you dare start with me," dad said as he rose his voice back, causing me to step back. "You are just an intern. Remember your place." 

I couldn't help it as tears welled in my eyes. He had been impossible to talk to these last few days. It was as if he didn't want to know how Charles was changing the team. Maybe it was because Charles was changing him too. Every time I had brought up the subject of Charles, dad quickly shot it down. This was the first time he rose his voice at me which caught me off guard. 

As I wiped my eyes, I stood up a little taller. I would not take that tone. "My place? I am the coach's daughter. I am more than an intern."

Breaking us from our moment was when a throat cleared. "Um, coach, I wanted to mention that my father would come to practice today," Everett said from the door frame.

My eyes darted to his, wondering how much he heard from the conversation. He wore a concerned expression which told me he heard enough. Quickly, I wiped my nose and cleared my throat. 

"Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to give him a great welcome and Nora will be sure to give him a tour. She needs a break from practice anyhow," dad said to Everett.

I glared at dad, although he didn't look back at me. I knew he was just a prisoner to the University, but he could at least try to make this situation easier instead of bowing down to whatever the University said. "Yeah, I can give him a tour."

With that, dad left the room, leaving Everett and I alone.

In the privacy of the room, Everett wrapped his arm around me. "I really don't know what I would do without you."

I smiled as I leaned into him, soaking up the embrace. 

"I set up the interview with the news paper for tomorrow, after the game. Do you want to come?"

"Of course I do." 

"Good. I want you there," he said as he let go of me and pulled his phone out of his pocket. "Dad's here."

"We should see him then."

"I guess so."

I followed Everett to the main entrance of the Shoe and waved as I saw Everett's father standing on the other side of the gate. He wore all Ohio State gear from his pants to his sweater. There was a large grin on his face as if he couldn't contain his excitement.

"Hey dad," Everett said as he opened the gate, letting him in. 

"Hey there! Wow, this place looks so much larger when it's empty."

Everett nodded. "It does, doesn't it? Well, I have to get on the field, but I'll show you it then Nora will show you around." 

"That's fine with me, if it's fine with you of course," Dale said as he looked at me. 

"It's way ok with me." I beamed at him. Anything that could give me space from my father right now was welcomed. 

We continued to walk down the hall until we made it to the field.

"I'll talk to you later, okay?" Everett asked as he kissed me lightly. 

I nodded. "Talk to you later."

He turned to Dale and smirked. "You are in good hands." 

"I know I am." 

With that, he walked through some double doors to get to the field, leaving us alone.

As Dale looked around the space in aw, I sighed, trying to control my emotions. The anger I had towards my father was still present but I wanted to hide it for Dale. "So want to start with the stand first? We can work our way down," I spoke up, drawing his attention back to me. 

"Hold up one minute. Nora, is this Everett's father?" dad's voice rang out from behind me. 

I turned to face him and nodded. His cheery face caused my blood to boil. He looked like the best coach out there, but little did anyone know what he was dealing it. At this moment he was not where near the best coach in the world. "Yeah, this is-"

"I'm Dale," Everett's farther said, cutting me off as he shook my father's hand. 

"Nice to finally meet you. Boy, oh boy! This is such an honor. The father of Everett. I'm stoked that I have finally got to see you in the flesh and blood," dad said eagerly. 

"The honor is mine. I watch your games on TV every Saturday."

Dad smiled as he looked at him. "Have you been to a game this season?"

"No. Not yet."

"Come to the game tomorrow. I'll get you the best seats in the house." 

Dale beamed at him as if my father was amazing. "That would be the highlight of my season."

"Nora, can you get that set up for him?"

I nodded as I held my tongue. "Sure can." 

"Coach! We need you back on the field," Tad called out to dad, pulling his attention away from us.

"Well, that's my que. I have to go but I will see you later alligator." With another smile, he walked away, leaving us alone in the hall. 

"You are lucky to have a father like him," Dale said as he watched him leave through a pair of double doors.

"Yeah, so lucky," I mumbled then clapped my hands. "Okay, let's get this tour started. Follow me." 

I led him through the halls, pointing out important things that might interest him. He awed and oohed at the smallest things. It made me wonder if he had ever been in the stadium before. There was such wonder in his eyes that made me think he had not. 

"Has Everett ever shown you this place before a game?" I asked Dale as I walked out to the seats.

"Nah, but he's busy. I knew I would see this place at some point. You know, after his mother left us, he started to spend more time by himself."

The mention of his mother caused me to turn my full attention to him. "He doesn't talk much about her."

He shrugged as he looked out at the players practicing. "There isn't much to talk about. She was a free spirit. She never wanted to be tied down and finally she had enough. She left us with a note when Everett was 14." 

I tried not to be upset that Everett hadn't told me these things yet. There was so much that I didn't understand about Everett. There was so much he had not shared with me. I just hoped that one day he would share.

"You can see the players so well here."

"These are the good seats," I said with a small smile as Tad waved to me from the field. 

"Ah, is that Charles?" 

I nodded as I looked out on the field. "You know him?"

"Know him, Everett dated him."

The news caused me to step back. Everett never mentioned this to me. Silently I stared at Everett with a frown. Out of all the things he hadn't told me, he should have at least told me about that. 

"He never told you?" he asked with concern, fearing he said too much. But he was Ohioian, if I asked the right questions, he would spill all the beans. I just needed to figure out the right questions.

I shook my head as I leaned against the guard rail, trying to look casual. "We really haven't talked about past relationships yet. You know, our relationship is still new. He probably would have told me soon enough. For how long did they date?" 

Dale shrugged. "Maybe a month? Brought him to a family get together. Charles seemed like a good guy. He talked so highly of Everett. Honestly I think Charles was more in love with him then Everett was with him." 

"Ah," I mouthed as I watched Charles high five Rick. 

"But that was over a year ago."

"Yeah, it was a bit ago. Okay, want to move on?" I asked, eager to get away from the players.

"Sure, let's move on." 

I forced a smile then walked back inside. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.2K 2K 12
A beloved football player must find his anonymous hater to clear his name. ⋆☆⋆ Jake Tanner is a lover, not a fighter. Attractive, charming and popula...
253K 6.1K 39
Summer and Bryce used to hate each other, until they found out they shared the same passion. Soccer. They fell in love with each other. But now as th...
1.3M 40.8K 47
He's a legacy at UNI, and he can have any girl he wants. Dylan 'D' Darcy is used to getting what he wants. He has money, status and looks. His famil...
1.6K 94 30
For nineteen-year-old Aliyah Mitchell, her freshman year of college was all she could think about. From rooming with her friends, becoming a member o...