Betrayal - A BrightStone Saga...

By Leed21

In the aftermath of a catastrophic event that sets the stage for The BrightStone Saga, Betrayal takes readers... More

-Author Note & Copyright-
-Betrayal-
-Freya-
-Manu-
-Norridan-
-Breedas-
-Aldreda-
-Natori-
-Wryamt Forest-
-Author Note Part 2-

-Arrowedge-

25 2 11
By Leed21

Emerald eyes ringed in black look on from above. Hidden from view behind the lush canopy of an ancient oak tree, the melding souls of Lor and Freya watch as they float high above a rabble of squabbling children trying to decide who will be the seeker this time around. They blink in unison, minds intertwined, but still learning about one another even after the passage of five winters. Their summers had been spent watching from afar the joyous smiles from the children of Arrowedge, of how they grew and played.

Which one is she again?

Lor. I thought you could tell the difference by now? Anyway, she is the dark-haired skinny one bossing the rest about.

Ah, yes. I see now. She is their... Leader, yes?

She has a strong will. That, I will say.

Mmm, yes. Yes, she does. She will be like her mother. I can see it.

I hope that is true, Lor. I really do. For her sake and the sake of Antar, if what you say is true.

You still do not believe?

It is... still hard. I believe that you do. And that you, we can see certain things. But... I cannot help but look at her and think of what could have been.

Mmm, I understand, Freya. I think I do. You have sacrificed yourself for the one thing any mother can do, the greatest thing any mother could do. But we watch. And we will continue to watch over her as she grows and flourishes in this world.

She is beautiful, is she not?

She is, Freya. A beautiful girl indeed.

Peels of laughter drift up to where they float, breaking their conversation. The giggling children run around in circles, their shouts and screams bringing a smile to their faces.

I miss her, Lor. Even this close, I just want... I want to hold her, Lor. I want to hold her tight and never let go.

I understand, Freya. But you know you can't—

I know, I know. It is for her safety as much as everyone else. I can feel you, you know? I can feel us merging more and more with every passing day.

Your feelings are... correct. We continue to merge until we are a single mind.

Will I remember?

There will be flickers and memories, but we will exist as a sole being of this world. Not Freya or Lor but something else.

How long before?

That depends on you, Freya. And on how long you will keep guard as yourself.

I... I cannot leave her, not yet.

Very well. But we must take our leave now. We have been here too long, our bodies are still fusing, and we both need to rest. We will come again. Watch again.

Very well.

With a last lingering look from their black-rimmed emerald eyes, the intermingled minds of Freya and Lor blink in unison as they turn away from the children running back and forth, attempting to catch one another, with shouts of laughter filling the village of Arrowedge with the joyous sound.

I will see you soon Meena, my love.

The human-shaped body floats through the canopy of an old oak tree flitting up high out of sight making its way back to the safety of Wryamt Forest. They head south away from the ancient oaks to the north settling near a small grove close to a narrow river.

Are you ready?

Yes. Will it be the water or the trees this time, Lor?

I will let you pick this time, I feel our... bond is growing. It is your decision.

Water. I choose the water.

Good. We should rest for longer this time. It will give the merging time.

How much longer? I still need to see my Meena, I wish to see her grow, Lor.

You will, Freya. But we must complete this process, otherwise...

I know. Otherwise, we will cease to be. I have asked and been told enough times now. But...

We will rest for five summers and no longer. That will give us the time we need.

Five... That is a long time, Lor. Are you—

It must be. You will see her again, it will not seem as long, that I promise.

Very well. I am ready.

Good. Remember, Freya. This will be uncomfortable but not painful.

I remember, let it be done.

Mmm, very well. Let me take control and I will send us into our slumber.

With a moment's hesitation, Freya releases her built-up tension letting Lor in completely. Her fingers tingle then her toes as they change and morph into whisper tendrils of smoke. She feels more than sees her body drifting as it evaporates into thousands of tiny specks that sparkle in the afternoon suns. It dissipates for a moment as if floating away then all is pulled together and softly melds with the running river entering them both into a waking slumber, still hearing the distant calls of the birds and feeling the pull of rushing water.

The chirp from a lone bird fills the morning dusk as a thick mist covers the ground of Wryamt Forest. With a minute spark, an ethereal glow begins to emanate from an ancient oak tree, a glow that fills the surrounding area with pure white light. It brightens further, blocking out everything before it dissipates, letting in flickers of the last blue rays that illuminate the dew-covered leaves turning them to diamonds temporarily.

The joined souls of Freya and Lor emerge from within, their form wispy smoke, a single entity that could spread as quickly or slowly as it pleased. Yet once clear of the ancient oak the smoke pauses for a single moment before swirling about itself, isolated. It turns and twists picking up speed. A crackle like thunder breaks the silence, a flash then all is silent once again as a naked woman steps from the vapour. Her skin shimmers and her long, dark hair falls to her hips. She strides forwards with a skip, then a giggle rings throughout the clearing sending tiny feet scuttling through the undergrowth.

"There is nothing to fear little ones, that I promise."

She turns, her arms outstretched reaching for the sky. She inhales deeply, breathing in the rich scents of crushed grass and the earthy aroma of wet soil.

"Oh, it is good to be out, is it not?"

It is.

"Come now, do not be like that. We agreed that it would be my form this time."

It is an odd thing, from my teachings I was never made aware of this. We are joined but separate at the same time. We are still one body but two minds. I thought by now that we would be in unison.

"But we are, Lor. We agree on everything, from the colour of the sky to the sound of the wind."

Yes, I know this but—

"But nothing. The only point that we disagree on is the way we should look."

And your point?

"My point is: how do I look?"

Mmm, a little naked, I would say.

"Ah, yes." With a subtle wave of her delicate hand, her nakedness disappears as a figure-hugging dress materialises. The silken dress covers her almost to the toes but stops just short as it shimmers a deep shade of green that matches her eyes. She spins through the clearing with a giggle. "That is better, no?"

Well, you have covered yourself, almost. Now, we must be going, we do not have much time.

"Of course," she squeals. "I cannot wait to see her. How she must have grown."

Well, let us go then. Use those legs, woman.

"If you insist."

And with that, she breaks into a skipping hop as she makes her way through Wryamt Forest. She passes through tall ferns touching the rough bark of oak and spruce trees with every few paces. She stares up, marvelling at the canopies and how they all intermingle to create a blanket of leaves. She can almost taste the soft earth that spreads through her toes and the damp air sends a tingle through with every breath.

"Oh, how I had forgotten what it was like. Lor, tell me again why we cannot stay like this?"

Again? I must tell you again?

"I do not understand why I cannot visit my daughter every night?"

It was the fusion, Freya. When I decided to help, I did not know the full extent of what it would take. For that I am sorry, but I did warn you that to keep her and this world safe you would have to give her up.

"I know," she sighs. "I have missed so much already. Meena is grown and has little ones to run around after. I wish..."

I know. I can feel everything remember? Anyway, on to happier things. Let us go and see how they are doing. They are my family too now.

With a grin that almost reaches her ears, Freya skips away towards the village of Arrowedge on the outskirts of the forest, her emerald dress billowing as it flows behind her. She finds her way through the trees and groves, taking the overgrown path with ease stepping between brambles and ferns alike.

Reaching the tree line, she pauses as her heart pulses at the sight of the young village just beyond. "I am coming, Meena," she whispers, then she breaks into a run. Her feet barely touch the ground as she sprints towards the brightly light village. She can hear numerous voices shouting in some sort of celebration, making her falter ever so slightly.

Do you not want to see her?

"I do, it is just..." she pauses, her feet rooting her to the spot. "They are celebrating something, could we just?"

No, I am afraid not. We cannot risk anyone seeing us. We cannot explain it. I am sorry.

"I know. But you are right, we cannot be seen. I will be careful."

Good, not carry on, we have a daughter to see.

"Right."

With that, she begins to move once again, her feet gliding towards her destination of Arrowegde. The two souls reach the darkened outskirts of the village, they keep out of sight as shouts and laughter reach them. They hear men, women and children happily chanting to an old song, even for them. It is a rhyme for a good harvest to come.

I have not heard that sung in an age.

"Me neither," Freya whispers. "I need to get higher, do you think it is dark enough yet?"

I do. But we mustn't stay too long. There is something that I... Do you feel it? It is like an ache. No, it is as if I had been crushed by some invisible force. I have never—"

"Calm yourself, Lor. I can feel it too, there is something amiss, something that cannot wait, I fear." She pauses once more as her body begins to float upwards, headed for the first peaked roof of the surrounding buildings. "What it was is important, but it will come about. Let me see her, then we will see what it was."

Very well, but be quick. The feeling grows stronger with every passing moment.

"You have my promise, Lor."

Rising the last few feet, her toes touch the peak of the stables. She crouches on her haunches, her keen eyes searching. "There she is. Oh, how she has grown. Look at her, Lor. She is beautiful, is she not? She glows."

She is a beauty, but we must—

"Please? I will not stay long."

Very well.

"She is grown and has children now. She looks so well, Lor. She really does. I cannot believe it." She stifles a cry and wipes at her eyes. "Farewell Meena, I fear I will not look down on you again, but I will always be here to watch over your family. Our family. I will be their guardian, that I promise."

Are you ready?

"No, not really, but I know I must. So yes, I am ready. Let us find what we felt."

Time will heal, that I know. But now we must... She pauses in thought. It gets stronger.

"I can feel it too."

Freya turns, taking one last look at Meena smiling and running after her three children.

"Goodbye daughter, enjoy your life." She turns away with a groan wiping at her eyes once more. "Which way?"

We must go west, then south.

"How far?"

As far as we must. I fear this is not a good omen. The signs... they remind me—

"Do not say it!"

I fear I must. It is the same feeling. Freya, they have returned, the Oskari have returned.

"No! They performed the ritual after the battle. They cannot, they just cannot."

We must do what we can, and hope that at the very least this small village with bare witness to no more slaughter. More so for you.

"I will not let them return!" she seethes now, her features hardening. "Come, Lor. We have a task to do. To protect my Meena and the whole of Antar."

Let us go then and investigate, together.

With a lingering stare at the small village of Arrowedge, the intertwined minds and souls of a royal queen and a strange exotic bird-like essence head west in search of an evil if left will consume the land and everything within.

The End

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

330 24 33
The last thing Darena Matrixlyn expected was to be the Princess of the Twilight Realm of Trinitarian Mythology. But when a pair of teenagers tell her...
33 1 10
Many things are not what they seem. In the land of Obyra, kingdoms fight for power and supremacy. Friend turns on friend, and lovers are not to be tr...
99 1 27
A Peter Pan Inspired/ Retelling. What happens when the shadows collide with the stars? A slow burn Romance, conflicted Kingdoms, Betrayal from a...
493 123 11
Pain, Betrayal, Magic. Three things Alara has experienced in extreme ways, leaving her with wounds that run deep. After enduring so much, she finall...